Epson 5040UB ($2999) - e-Shift 4K, HDR10, WCG, Powered lens position memory - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1366Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
uniquepattern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
This is the digital projectors under $3,000 forum, but hey what's an extra few thousand to get all that RS500 goodness


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...from my perspective, the Epson 5040 is also in the wrong category as it costs over $1300 more then the $3k restriction....
But hey, whats another $1300 dollars, right?
uniquepattern is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffy87 View Post
2. We watched a bit of the NFL Preseason game on the NFL Network Monday evening and their was noticeable jitter/noise, whatever you want to call it, around fast moving objects. I haven't had that experience with my 5040 - fast motion is much smoother - something I double checked this afternoon when I returned home.
That was something I noticed when comparing a 4K Sony, JVC X5000 (RS400?) and Epson LS10000 - the JVC did a have a 'noisier' image. One scene that sticks in my mind is from Jurassic World when she releases the T-Rex- around her arm (to the left) when there is a lot of red flare, the JVC showed signs of noise there. Neither the Sony or Epson did, and when I demo'd the 5040 I used that scene and it was noise free.

One thing that may be causing that is the brightness of the image - the JVC is very bright even with the iris closed at -15, but it could be that it was just too bright, and an ND or CC filter with recalibration may have helped there. I wasn't able to try that so I won't know unless I get a chance to try it.

But overall, I think that was the only real visible negative for the JVC over the Epson (I'm not a gamer, just a movie watcher). The JVCs black level was of course it's biggest advantage overall.

Even so, there is something very watchable about the Epson that makes me seem to prefer it and I just can't put my finger on why. If I bought the Epson I know I'll be regretting and missing the JVC blacks (and around $1500 more cash), but the Epson produces a very very nice image.

I just wish there was a way to make the potential 1,000,000:1 on/off CR useable in a watchable video mode. The 4040 can achieve over 184,000: CR in dynamic mode (measured, which is greater than the advertised 160,000:1), but the people who achieved that didn't say how they got it though I can imagine it was with test patterns in an unwatchable mode. Just imagine being able to get even 500,000:1 useable CR from the 5040 - that would certainly put it back up there with the JVC (except in Canada), but probably not achievable without a filter and calibration, so not easy for most people.

Can't wait for Cine4home to get their hands on a production model and see what they can get with their LPE filter mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.

Last edited by Gary Lightfoot; 09-01-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Gary Lightfoot is offline  
post #1923 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
That was something I noticed when comparing a 4K Sony, JVC X5000 (RS400?) and Epson LS10000 - the JVC did a have a 'noisier' image. One scene that sticks in my mind is from Jurassic World when she releases the T-Rex- around her arm (to the left) when there is a lot of red flare, the JVC showed signs of noise there. Neither the Sony or Epson did, and when I demo'd the 5040 I used that scene and it was noise free.

One thing that may be causing that is the brightness of the image - the JVC is very bright even with the iris closed at -15, but it could be that it was just too bright, and an ND or CC filter with recalibration may have helped there. I wasn't able to try that so I won't know unless I get a chance to try it.

But overall, I think that was the only real visible negative for the JVC over the Epson (I'm not a gamer, just a movie watcher). The JVCs black level was of course it's biggest advantage overall.

Even so, there is something very watchable about the Epson that makes me seem to prefer it and I just can't put my finger on why. If I bought the Epson I know I'll be regretting and missing the JVC blacks (and around $1500 more cash), but the Epson produces a very very nice image.

I just wish there was a way to make the potential 1,000,000:1 on/off CR useable in a watchable video mode. The 4040 can achieve over 184,000: CR in dynamic mode (measured, which is greater than the advertised 160,000:1), but the people who achieved that didn't say how they got it though I can imagine it was with test patterns in an unwatchable mode. Just imagine being able to get even 500,000:1 useable CR from the 5040 - that would certainly put it back up there with the JVC (except in Canada), but probably not achievable without a filter and calibration, so not easy for most people.

Can't wait for Cine4home to get their hands on a production model and see what they can get with their LPE filter mod
Was the JVC pre calibrated when you watched it? I am told that calibration would take care of it. But of course I don't have the device with me, so I can't confirm.
Hellohowareyou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1924 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,080
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
...from my perspective, the Epson 5040 is also in the wrong category as it costs over $1300 more then the $3k restriction....
But hey, whats another $1300 dollars, right?
Nope. the US MSRP of 5040 is $2,999.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #1925 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
luismanrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
...from my perspective, the Epson 5040 is also in the wrong category as it costs over $1300 more then the $3k restriction....
But hey, whats another $1300 dollars, right?
What Am I missing here?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
luismanrara is offline  
post #1926 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
What Am I missing here?
There apparently is a substantial price difference in Canada for the 5040 compared to the US. Enough of a difference that the JVC 550 is comparable in price or cheaper. I say apparently as I'm not in Canada and can't verify but there are a number of members who have stated it.

Epson 5040 UB / Samsung 8500 / Roku 4 / Yamaha 3060 / Emotiva 3-Channel XPA Gen 3 / Klipsh Reference 7.2.4
Raffy87 is offline  
post #1927 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
luismanrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffy87 View Post
There apparently is a substantial price difference in Canada for the 5040 compared to the US. Enough of a difference that the JVC 550 is comparable in price or cheaper. I say apparently as I'm not in Canada and can't verify but there are a number of members who have stated it.
Since the Epson 5040 is on a different pricing scale vs the JVCs in the US & Canada markets, I suggest the moderators take this into account and maybe create two seperate threads, one for the US and one for the Canada buyers.

The Epson in the US belongs in the $3,000 and under forum section, the Epson in the Canadian market clearly does not, and it is creating a lot of confusion for some.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
luismanrara is offline  
post #1928 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,821
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13452 Post(s)
Liked: 11092
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
If nothing else, I would hope my post would help open the eyes to anyone who is "on the fence"
Not to simply choose one over the other, and certainly NOT based on screen shots from a cell phone LOL!

Get off your butts and demo these things in person,

I'd be a fool to open my wallet blindly without having done extensive research on-line first,
then went to the local HT specialty shops in town to see them for myself.

I'm expecting the 6040UB at a local pro installers demo room right after he returns from Cedia.
I would have waited but my JVC deal expires today.
The 6040 will not look any different from the 5040.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #1929 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,821
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13452 Post(s)
Liked: 11092
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffy87 View Post
I understand this concept... my intent was to try and determine at what point does my 5040 start to fall behind the 550. Perhaps there was a better way to try and determine this but it was all I could think off at the time.

To further my understanding, wouldn't a little light help your eyes with an additional percieved contrast? Something similar to a bias light?
You can do the same test with a 2,000:1 DLP projector and at some point the DLP will look as good, when compared to the JVC or the Epson, if you add enough ambient light. In other words, it is a flawed test.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #1930 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,821
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13452 Post(s)
Liked: 11092
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
Since the Epson 5040 is on a different pricing scale vs the JVCs in the US & Canada markets, I suggest the moderators take this into account and maybe create two seperate threads, one for the US and one for the Canada buyers.

The Epson in the US belongs in the $3,000 and under forum section, the Epson in the Canadian market clearly does not, and it is creating a lot of confusion for some.
That would be too confusing and then people would mis out on information on the projector, unless you read both threads. You could always abide by the form rules and not talk price, other than MSRP. I don't think MSRP for Canada has been officially stated?
c.kingsley and freestylr like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #1931 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
luismanrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That would be too confusing and then people would mis out on information on the projector, unless you read both threads. You could always abide by the form rules and not talk price, other than MSRP. I don't think MSRP for Canada has been officially stated?
You may be right, but I doubt it would be any more confusing than this thread already is.
WynsWrld98 and DanGraney like this.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
luismanrara is offline  
post #1932 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
WestCDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
Since the Epson 5040 is on a different pricing scale vs the JVCs in the US & Canada markets, I suggest the moderators take this into account and maybe create two seperate threads, one for the US and one for the Canada buyers.

The Epson in the US belongs in the $3,000 and under forum section, the Epson in the Canadian market clearly does not, and it is creating a lot of confusion for some.
Good God no ...

There are enough thread splits out there without deliberately creating more. We don't need additional threads for Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, and any other country using a dollar currency with a different valuation and/or different Epson pricing structure - the hardware is the same. As the U.S. market is the largest, it makes sense to use the released USD MSRP (not selling price!) as the basis.
Cripsy666 likes this.
WestCDA is offline  
post #1933 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I don't think MSRP for Canada has been officially stated?
Correct.

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
Number05 is offline  
post #1934 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
lorjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere south of Georgia
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I can see why the Canadians are upset about the difference between US MSRP and the asking price they are getting from their dealers. Almost as upset as they would be if none of their NHL teams made the Stanley Cup playoffs. Oh, wait......sorry!
TheWolf56 and freestylr like this.

JVC-RS4910, Samsung 64H5000, LG 60PA6550
Oppo 203, Oppo 93, Oppo 83SE, DirecTV HR44-200, Samsung DTB260F, Roku 3, Denon DP-1200
Marantz AV7702, Onkyo PR-SC5507, Onkyo TX-NR3008, McIntosh C26, DVDO Duo
Parasound A51, Parasound HCA-806A, Emotiva UPA-1s, Marantz MA500s, McIntosh MC2105
Paradigm Studio V4s & V5s, Hsu subs X2,
lorjam is offline  
post #1935 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
luismanrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
Good God no ...

There are enough thread splits out there without deliberately creating more. We don't need additional threads for Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, and any other country using a dollar currency with a different valuation and/or different Epson pricing structure - the hardware is the same. As the U.S. market is the largest, it makes sense to use the released USD MSRP (not selling price!) as the basis.
Thank you WestCDA, you brought the conversation excatly to the point where it needed to be.

The U.S. market is the largest market for this projector and it is the USD MSRP the price that is used to determine the category in which a certain unit is under.

So a couple of things need to happen here, First, the forum administrators need to enforce Forum Regulations There are prices all over the place here that have nothing to do with the unit's MSRP, which creates confusion and it tilts the Epson's price/value advantage as per its MSRP. (hence my idea of a seperate thread for our Canadian friends who are faced with an unexpected situation regarding Epson's pricing) obviously, a seperate thread seems like a bad idea.

Second, Forum members need to tame down their "sometimes" over the top remarks and over reactions to simple questions and suggestions, almost everybody here is for the single purpose of informing themselves in order to make the best possible buying decision.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
luismanrara is offline  
post #1936 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
bytebuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Piomaniac et al, can u put into perspective for me the black level difference between the JVCs and the 5030/5040.
I have a 5030. Love the pic for day time scenes. But during night time scenes the black levels start getting a tad distracting.
For starters the aspect ratio bars look clearly much lighter than the screen's masking. I am wondering if I will see a significant jump in blackness with the JVCs

Also, is the image as sharp as the Epsons?
bytebuster is offline  
post #1937 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ronman79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

Yet, I am holding off my purchase because I want to see a side by side comparison of the Epson vs the JVC RS400 as it is very difficult for me to see them in person.
This is what I'm really looking forward to, as well! It's obvious the contrast ratio differences, but an overall, real-world comparison is needed. The one thing that has me is the gaming issue. I believe they'll both be impress, in their own right. And, even though I'm not a huge online gamer anymore, I would love to be able to play shooters on the big screen.

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
Ronman79 is offline  
post #1938 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That would be too confusing and then people would mis out on information on the projector, unless you read both threads. You could always abide by the form rules and not talk price, other than MSRP. I don't think MSRP for Canada has been officially stated?


My dealer stated that Epson put the MSRP at $5399 CDN.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #1939 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As of today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epson.png
Views:	220
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1636017  

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
Number05 is offline  
post #1940 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
As of today.


Sure, but dealers must know the MSRP if they're going to take pre-orders.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #1941 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Sure, but dealers must know the MSRP if they're going to take pre-orders.
I've been reading apparent Epson Canadian dealer's quotes (from members here) ranging from low-mid 4k to now mid 5k.

Why then?

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
Number05 is offline  
post #1942 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
I've been reading apparent Epson Canadian dealer's quotes (from members here) ranging from low-mid 4k to now mid 5k.

Why then?


When I mentioned that mid 4k price to my dealer (which I have been using for over 15 years) he couldn't figure out how that was possible since he quoted me the MSRP.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #1943 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
When I mentioned that mid 4k price to my dealer (which I have been using for over 15 years) he couldn't figure out how that was possible since he quoted me the MSRP.
Which province are you in?

If this projector is going to cost me 6k (taxes in) CAD, then I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My ceiling was 5k.

Maybe JVC LOL

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
Number05 is offline  
post #1944 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My HDFury Integral is here, and I tested it out by connecting: Shield TV -> Integral -> 5040UB. No luck, still no HDR netflix, and cannot play HDR demo video clips either. I'm starting to think they 5040UB does not offer a compatible 4K HDR mode with Shield TV.


I've reported my experience in the Integral thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...l#post46480433, if anyone is interested.

I've also bought a Philip UHD player just to see if I can get any HDR at all through my cable, well, it works. But the Creed UHD disc bundled with Philip player looks rather disappointing in 4K HDR, too many dark scenes, and overall looks just dull in Cinema mode, and doesn't look that much better in Bright Cinema either. I'll wait until my other UHD movies (Martian and Life of Pi) order arrives tomorrow to make better assessment.

Besides playing UHD disc from Philip UHD player, I am not aware of any other source that can output HDR to 5040UB. What a bummer!
alanine is offline  
post #1945 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Which province are you in?

If this projector is going to cost me 6k (taxes in) CAD, then I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My ceiling was 5k.

Maybe JVC LOL


I'm in Quebec but the quote was from an Ontario dealer. I live right on the border of the 2 provinces so I can pick lol

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #1946 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,821
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13452 Post(s)
Liked: 11092
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Sure, but dealers must know the MSRP if they're going to take pre-orders.
Depends on how you do the preorders. If you are not taking credit card numbers and only establishing a place in line, then I do not see why you would have to know the price. We do this all the time. The customer is not obligated to buy. He makes that decision, once price is known.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #1947 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Depends on how you do the preorders. If you are not taking credit card numbers and only establishing a place in line, then I do not see why you would have to know the price. We do this all the time. The customer is not obligated to buy. He makes that decision, once price is known.


Well he asked me if I would like him to order me one, so I asked on price first. He doesn't take any money first, but I guess I didn't want him to order me one and me not take it when finally knowing the price. I know he would of sold it elsewhere, but I've been dealing with him for about 15 years and that sense of loyalty and all that crap lol

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #1948 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So buying from the States is out of the question? I assume warranty would be void. I still don't see how not paying the $5,200 for the 5040 but then going out and spending $700 more for the JVC. I guess it pays to wait. Wait till we know for sure the CDN price and also the head to head comparison with the JVC offerings.
cdnmiggy is offline  
post #1949 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
When I mentioned that mid 4k price to my dealer (which I have been using for over 15 years) he couldn't figure out how that was possible since he quoted me the MSRP.
Well, here's a quote as of 2:00 pm CST today from Eastporters.com:

---------
Thank you for your interest in the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB 3LCD Projector with 4K Enhancement and HDR.

The manufactures suggested retail price is CAD.

Our regular Eastporters price is $5,399.99 CAD, though right now our reduced sale price is $4,299.99 CAD.
---------

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
Number05 is offline  
post #1950 of 3506 Old 09-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Well, here's a quote as of 2:00 pm CST today from Eastporters.com:

---------
Thank you for your interest in the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB 3LCD Projector with 4K Enhancement and HDR.

The manufactures suggested retail price is CAD.

Our regular Eastporters price is $5,399.99 CAD, though right now our reduced sale price is $4,299.99 CAD.
---------
That's a much better price. Let's hope some of the comparison info comes out before the sale ends.
cdnmiggy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off