Epson 5040UB ($2999) - e-Shift 4K, HDR10, WCG, Powered lens position memory - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1366Likes

post #2161 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Read my quote on Page 67 of this thread regarding this 4299 price and Quebec Acoustic. Good luck if you need warranty work done:

I see the catch now, 4299 is the brought up through USA, warranty is US too.

No different than driving across the boarder and buying from Best Buy USA myself.
Way to scoop me
Pretty sure Richard mentioned that it was Epson Canada but I will have to verify that to be certain. That being said I spoke with a service guy at Epson Canada who went as far as giving me a case number verifying that Epson would honor the warranty in Canada even if the unit is purchased in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I do not see HDCP 2.2, Rec 2020 support or DCI P3 filter listed. Without those items, it will not play a 4K BD. Saying it will accept a 4K input does not mean that it will not convert it down to SDR REC709 with the only improvement being E-shift of resolution.
The Epson website says HDCP 2.2, and the review mentions the following as one of the pros:

Accepts commercial 4K content including content using HDR, DCI, REC2020 (BT.2020) and other superior image standards not available on projectors that can’t accept commercial 4K content!

But I don't think we know what percentage of P3 it covers, or how well it can implement HDR. Looks like a potential great value option for much larger screens though if it can playback UHD content much like the 5040.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2163 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
That isn't the way I read the original poster's email he quoted from Quebec Acoustic - I don't speak French, but the Google translation below seems to indicate that they were justifying their price of 4299 for a Canadian market model (with Epson Canada warranty), vs. the cost and warranty issues of purchasing one from the U.S.

Here also the words of Epson: true, the 5040UB is $ 3,000 USD on Epson.com, however, translated into Canadian were talking about $ 3,900, before tax, before delivery (delivered because of the united states will not be free)

without customs clearance and additional expenses, so in the end the price I VS offers you one of the united states is equivalent. I'm not saying its attempt to dissuade your purchase in the United States, those are the facts.

To add to this, your warranty will be no end Epson Epson USA, not Canada (or us in case of a purchase here). Came time to honor your warranty, shipping will be at your expense, to the US with a much slower service than in Canada.

Maybe i can help. I'm from Québec and, of course, speak French. Give me 24 hours and I'll contact Québec Acoustique. I'm just swamped with work today.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapfsr View Post
Way to scoop me
Pretty sure Richard mentioned that it was Epson Canada but I will have to verify that to be certain.
Thank you - Yes please confirm and post back please.

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
post #2165 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlan19 View Post
Maybe i can help. I'm from Québec and, of course, speak French. Give me 24 hours and I'll contact Québec Acoustique. I'm just swamped with work today.
Merci, mon ami
post #2166 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What purpose does the ethernet port serve on this projector? Does it have smart features? Netflix app and stuff?
post #2167 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
Merci, mon ami

Well I could not wait 24 hours so I'm late in my work I just talked to Québec Acoustique and it's confirmed that the warranty is Canadian. Full 2 years replacement on 5040ub but you have to deal with Epson Canada. You usually wait for a replacement unit. Put your broken pj in the box and ship it back. Install your new one and you are good to go.

They should have the 5040ub in stock within the next week.

Hope that clarify things.

post #2168 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Well I could not wait 24 hours so I'm late in my work I just talked to Québec Acoustique and it's confirmed that the warranty is Canadian. Full 2 years replacement on 5040ub but you have to deal with Epson Canada.
Fantastic - thank you. Still on the higher side considering the 3k USD price but not 5k + higher.

Still awaiting official Epson CAD pricing to be released too.

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
post #2169 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Fantastic - thank you. Still on the higher side considering the 3k USD price but not 5k + higher.

Still awaiting official Epson CAD pricing to be released too.

Forgot to mention that the price as of now is 4299$ Cad

post #2170 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Well I could not wait 24 hours so I'm late in my work I just talked to Québec Acoustique and it's confirmed that the warranty is Canadian. Full 2 years replacement on 5040ub but you have to deal with Epson Canada. You usually wait for a replacement unit. Put your broken pj in the box and ship it back. Install your new one and you are good to go.

They should have the 5040ub in stock within the next week.

Hope that clarify things.
Thanks for checking. I ordered a couple of projectors from Richard at QA in the past (quite a few years back) - he was a pretty good guy to deal with, and competitive on the pricing.
post #2171 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
No, probably not.

4k alone is not going to make that big of a difference unless you have a large screen (over 120") and sit very close (10 feet or less).

HDR will make a big difference but right now it is only half baked for projectors. Also there is very little content and there are numerous incompatibility issues between projectors and BD UHD HDR players. Current moderately priced projectors just don't have the brightness to properly display HDR10 and HDR10 is predominately mastered for bright flat panel displays. The color gamut is wider on the 5040ub but the display is too dim when the P3 color filter is engaged to display the wider color gamut.

Right now,, you are probably better off with the HW65, if you can get it cheaper. It will display a beautiful 1080P picture and there will be no issues with content, too slow of HDMI cables, problems with BD players, etc. You will be able to set it up once and just enjoy.
Can someone comment on specifics of how HDR looks when the Epson is setup in Bright Cinema, high lamp mode and HDR1 (vs default HDR2)?
post #2172 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Because there are probably some cross shoppers between JVC and Epson on this thread, including many Canadians like me. Just wanted to let those folks know that the JVC free lamp sale for the RS500 (X750) and RS600 (X950) models has now been extended to September 30th. See attached. For the bargain hunting Canadians, the JVC X750 can be had at around Cdn 5,500 plus taxes including the free lamp that is priced around Cdn 650 in authorized retailers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVC 2016 FREE LAMP REBATE Form September - EN - FINAL.pdf (231.2 KB, 167 views)
post #2173 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Where in the world can you get an HW65 for $2,599?
In Sweden the epson is about 3500 dollars and the Sony 3000 dollars.
ndabunka likes this.
post #2174 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11806 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by baetis View Post
In Sweden the epson is about 3500 dollars and the Sony 3000 dollars.
That explains a lot.
post #2175 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Thank you - Yes please confirm and post back please.
Spoke with Richard and it is from Epson Canada with Canadian warranty 😀
post #2176 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Because there are probably some cross shoppers between JVC and Epson on this thread, including many Canadians like me. Just wanted to let those folks know that the JVC free lamp sale for the RS500 (X750) and RS600 (X950) models has now been extended to September 30th. See attached. For the bargain hunting Canadians, the JVC X750 can be had at around Cdn 5,500 plus taxes including the free lamp that is priced around Cdn 650 in authorized retailers.
Damn you Canadians...
With that free lamp, it's a sweet deal..
Almost getting 500 for the price of 400
Ronman79 likes this.
post #2177 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I have a 5040UB along with an Elite Screens Cinegrey3D 120" screen and thought I'd pass along my own findings as it seems to have uncovered a few details that have not been reported here. If i missed it and I'm being redundant, sorry about that. By the way I also have a 5030UB which after at least a couple years of use now is about ready for a bulb change (already have the bulb), but the idea of HDR and expanded color gamut regardless of resolution caught my attention and i had some unexpected extra cash to put into this hobby so i jumped the gun. After receiving the 5040UB and setting it up to compare with the 5030UB my initial impression was Wow! Much brighter ECO setting, and closer to spot on color and noticeably better contrast right out of the box. It also took a lot less panel alignment adjustments on initial setup than my 5030 did.

The first problem i encountered was in trying to get any sort of HDR signal from the Samsung K8500 Bluray player to lock with the PJ, but not only that, the BR player would enter 3D mode any time i tried to switch the resolution from 4K to 1080 or any other setting and had to be factory reset to fix it. 3D? I didn't even have a 3D disc in it at the time. Needless to say stay AWAY. I got on the phone with Epson support and they said to get the Philips UHD player and call them back about the many features that didn't appear available (greyed out) on the PJ. The Philips UHD player was able to handshake with the 5040 in HDR mode, but only under these circumstances:

HDMI 1 only, HDMI 2 on the Epson would always handshake at SDR regardless of settings.
4K 60P had to be completely shut off in the settings of the Philips player
Resolution could not be set to 4K, but rather to Auto on the Philips player
All Advanced image settings had to be set to "Auto" on the 5040.
Picture in Picture is lost any time a 4K signal or 3D signal is present on either port according to Epson...however i was able to get PiP in a very color-distorted window with one 4K source.

So even if you have a 4K/60p capable BR player and disc with HDR UHD, you can only view it in 24P, and not 24P refreshed at 60Hz so that Frame Interpolation could be used to brighten it a little and smooth the motion. The Epson tech support rep admitted even they were trying to figure out all the missing details in the documentation of this PJ's capabilities.

While i haven't tried the very very limited HDR capabilities in a complete black room yet, i can say the image looked extremely dim and like a thin film of milk was spilled over it. Not what you would expect from a technology created to expand the Pop from the range of color and B/W contrast, just the opposite. I usually like to start with an image that is reasonably close to good enough and calibrate from there - but i see no use in even trying to calibrate that awful looking picture.

All that said, the SDR 1080p or upscaled faux K looks about as good as anything i've seen to my eye. Having the right screen, viewing distances/angles/throw are important in this, and on my system i'm very impressed with Non-HDR performance...trouble is, i already had a projector that could do that well even if not as well as this one. I think the 5040 will be going back and i'll be waiting and letting my $3k grow to about $3005 in a savings account for the next year.
post #2178 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBON512 View Post
I have a 5040UB along with an Elite Screens Cinegrey3D 120" screen and thought I'd pass along my own findings as it seems to have uncovered a few details that have not been reported here. If i missed it and I'm being redundant, sorry about that. By the way I also have a 5030UB which after at least a couple years of use now is about ready for a bulb change (already have the bulb), but the idea of HDR and expanded color gamut regardless of resolution caught my attention and i had some unexpected extra cash to put into this hobby so i jumped the gun. After receiving the 5040UB and setting it up to compare with the 5030UB my initial impression was Wow! Much brighter ECO setting, and closer to spot on color and noticeably better contrast right out of the box. It also took a lot less panel alignment adjustments on initial setup than my 5030 did.

The first problem i encountered was in trying to get any sort of HDR signal from the Samsung K8500 Bluray player to lock with the PJ, but not only that, the BR player would enter 3D mode any time i tried to switch the resolution from 4K to 1080 or any other setting and had to be factory reset to fix it. 3D? I didn't even have a 3D disc in it at the time. Needless to say stay AWAY. I got on the phone with Epson support and they said to get the Philips UHD player and call them back about the many features that didn't appear available (greyed out) on the PJ. The Philips UHD player was able to handshake with the 5040 in HDR mode, but only under these circumstances:

HDMI 1 only, HDMI 2 on the Epson would always handshake at SDR regardless of settings.

Picture in Picture is lost any time a 4K signal or 3D signal is present on either port according to Epson...however i was able to get PiP in a very color-distorted window with one 4K source.

So even if you have a 4K/60p capable BR player and disc with HDR UHD, you can only view it in 24P, and not 24P refreshed at 60Hz so that Frame Interpolation could be used to brighten it a little and smooth the motion. The Epson tech support rep admitted even they were trying to figure out all the missing details in the documentation of this PJ's capabilities.

While i haven't tried the very very limited HDR capabilities in a complete black room yet, i can say the image looked extremely dim and like a thin film of milk was spilled over it. Not what you would expect from a technology created to expand the Pop from the range of color and B/W contrast, just the opposite. I usually like to start with an image that is reasonably close to good enough and calibrate from there - but i see no use in even trying to calibrate that awful looking picture.

All that said, the SDR 1080p or upscaled faux K looks about as good as anything i've seen to my eye. Having the right screen, viewing distances/angles/throw are important in this, and on my system i'm very impressed with Non-HDR performance...trouble is, i already had a projector that could do that well even if not as well as this one. I think the 5040 will be going back and i'll be waiting and letting my $3k grow to about $3005 in a savings account for the next year.

Thanks. I am tossing up between the 5030 and 5040. Is the 5030 the better buy due to the issues you meant ironed about HDR 4K?

Did you try HDR1 setting to see if the dimness was resolved? Did you run it at cinema bright setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2179 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Look to my previous posts on this topic.

Epson Home Cinema 5040, Yamaha Aventage 3050, Phillips BDP-7501, PlayStation 4, Energy Connoisseur Series 7.1.
post #2180 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Off topic, but the previous post brings up something that I often wonder about.
In the world of consumer projectors, what percentage of sales end up being returned without defect?
Do these projectors then become "B-stock"?

Matching a projector to your installation and expectations is not a simple thing; hampered by the limited opportunity to preview before purchase.

Often I read:
"Throw ratio not right for my screen."
"Bigger than I thought."
"Too loud."
"Picture washes out in the daytime."
"Bought three different projectors to compare and decided I couldn't afford any of them."
"Didn't make my wildest fantasies come true."

I don't judge (though maybe just a little) because I myself returned one a few years ago.
It was the Panasonic AE4000 touted by a couple review sites as having "Ultra high contrast" which it certainly did not.

Just seems like retailing projectors is a risky business.

(Off topic commentary complete. Please return to discussing JVC and the benefits of being Canadian. )
Ronman79 likes this.
post #2181 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
When watching 4k BD with HDR, you use the presets for that source. When watching 1080P BD, you do not use those presets.
And what about when watching non HDR 4k BD?
post #2182 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Could You please copy and paste this post on thread called 5030 vs 5040 that I started several days ago, You will probably find it on page 2. There would be a lot of people who will find it helpful and for some be a major factor in their decision.

Last edited by merceg100; 09-07-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #2183 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mention your 5030 has an old lamp, your comparison would be much more interesting with a fresh lamp in the 5030 since the 5040 has a fresh lamp. Your comparison with 5030 with old lamp and 5040 with new lamp is really apples to oranges.
post #2184 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
You mention your 5030 has an old lamp, your comparison would be much more interesting with a fresh lamp in the 5030 since the 5040 has a fresh lamp. Your comparison with 5030 with old lamp and 5040 with new lamp is really apples to oranges.
Damn, I'm a newbie, but I didn't realize that the image degrades as the lamp gets older... That sucks.
post #2185 of 3506 Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvan360 View Post
Damn, I'm a newbie, but I didn't realize that the image degrades as the lamp gets older... That sucks.
I recently placed a new lamp in my 5030 and it's like I got an entirely new projector, it looks AMAZING again, night and day difference.
post #2186 of 3506 Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Hey guys. I'm trying to find the right cables to help with the 4K HDR on my Epson. When I first started reading this thread, people were having tons of issues with cables passing HDR. But then it seemed the problems weren't in the cables but in the compatibility of the projector and Samsung 4K player. I'm picking up the Phillips 4K player again after returning it because I thought the problem with the Samsung HDR not looking good was the HDR mode I had selected. I tried HDR Mode 1 and it still looked washed out and dull. I'm assuming now that it has nothing to do with the HDMI cord and everything to do with the player and projector. I don't remember the picture looking washed out with the Phillips player.

Regardless, I need some help finding HDMI cords that people have tested and know work because I don't want any questions that I'm seeing HDR on this beast and I'm seeing it as well as the projector can show it. Preferably, something available from Amazon if at all possible. I'm looking for a 15ft and 25ft cable. Not sure which length I want to go with yet but would like to make sure I get the right one in each size depending on what I decide. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by JewDaddy; 09-08-2016 at 05:55 AM.
post #2187 of 3506 Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Does the Epson support HDR10 only? Or does it have Dolby vision as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2188 of 3506 Old 09-08-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
15 feet you should be fine with a good passive cable. 25 feet needs an active cable or a passive cable with a signal restorer. If you are running the cable in the wall and would be difficult to change later I would recommend the passive cable with signal restorer because the active cables can be prone to surges. If the cable is easy to change the active cable will be less expensive.

Redmere last I heard from people who the do testing said the Redmere 18gbs chipsets are having a very high fail rate during testing. Redmere, industry experts and the various manufacturers that use their chips were working on the problem. I am not sure if it is resolved yet but retailers still have a lot of the ones that would fail testing on their shelves. So Caveat Emptor.

You can also check DPL Labs which is one of the three organizations that are doing testing of cables. Their standards are tougher than the HDMI spec that the other two use (UL and HDMI). All testing is optional by manufacturers so all because it has an HDMI label does not mean it has been tested.

http://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-approved-products
post #2189 of 3506 Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Still googling but no word.... Wondering when the 6040ub will come out.
post #2190 of 3506 Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Hey guys. I'm trying to find the right cables to help with the 4K HDR on my Epson. When I first started reading this thread, people were having tons of issues with cables passing HDR. But then it seemed the problems weren't in the cables but in the compatibility of the projector and Samsung 4K player. I'm picking up the Phillips 4K player again after returning it because I thought the problem with the Samsung HDR not looking good was the HDR mode I had selected. I tried HDR Mode 1 and it still looked washed out and dull. I'm assuming now that it has nothing to do with the HDMI cord and everything to do with the player and projector. I don't remember the picture looking washed out with the Phillips player.

Regardless, I need some help finding HDMI cords that people have tested and know work because I don't want any questions that I'm seeing HDR on this beast and I'm seeing it as well as the projector can show it. Preferably, something available from Amazon if at all possible. I'm looking for a 15ft and 25ft cable. Not sure which length I want to go with yet but would like to make sure I get the right one in each size depending on what I decide. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
A popular topic here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...nnector-world/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page