Epson Home Cinema 3700 - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes

post #421 of 836 Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer View Post
Would the current HC3700/TW6700 be a noticable upgrade from TW3200/HC8350?

How much better is the black level and native contrast, for instance?
I have not seen either one, but the HC3700 has 1000 more lumens and a higher contrast rating so it would be brighter. As for blacks not for sure. The 5040 would have be better blacks then either of the HC8350 or the HC3700. The HC3700 is newer technology then the 8350 so it should be much better. I like me current HC2040 and it is fine to me, but would have like to have had the HC3100, HC3700. HC4000 or HC5040 instead, but they are out of my budget. Hopefully someone with a HC3700 will chime in.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 836 Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey guys, I posted this in another thread but maybe someone can help in here.

I bought an Epson 3700 and want to mount it in my gameroom to the border tray ceiling. I have a 120" projector screen (16:9) which is about 12 feet away from where the projector will be mounted. From the picture, you can see that the fan is in the way (about 7-9 inches below the border tray ceiling).

How should I mount it so that the fan isn't blocking the projector from being fully show on the screen?
  • Will I have to get a mount that makes the Epson 3700 come completely below the fan
  • Can I mount it flush to the tray ceiling and then use vertical lens shift to get the projector to show perfectly on the screen?
  • What is the ideal height for a ceiling mounted projector in comparison to where the top of t
he projector screen is?

The picture doesn't show it well but the fan comes about 7-9 inches below the tray ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Game Room Projector.jpg (70.6 KB, 126 views)
post #423 of 836 Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonAJ View Post
Hey guys, I posted this in another thread but maybe someone can help in here.

I bought an Epson 3700 and want to mount it in my gameroom to the border tray ceiling. I have a 120" projector screen (16:9) which is about 12 feet away from where the projector will be mounted. From the picture, you can see that the fan is in the way (about 7-9 inches below the border tray ceiling).

How should I mount it so that the fan isn't blocking the projector from being fully show on the screen?
  • Will I have to get a mount that makes the Epson 3700 come completely below the fan
  • Can I mount it flush to the tray ceiling and then use vertical lens shift to get the projector to show perfectly on the screen?
  • What is the ideal height for a ceiling mounted projector in comparison to where the top of t
he projector screen is?

The picture doesn't show it well but the fan comes about 7-9 inches below the tray ceiling.

I would get a mount with an extension pole. Epson has a calculator to help with placement of their projectors. Based on the HC3700 the top of the projector to the ceiling should be 2'-1.8", but that also depends on on you your room height and how far from the floor you have the bottom of the screen at.

Here is the calculator from them that may help. I would use the extension to get under the fan if it was me. The calculator has the lens shift checker you can use as well.

Hope this helps.

https://files.support.epson.com/pdc/...ml5/index.html

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 836 Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I would get a mount with an extension pole. Epson has a calculator to help with placement of their projectors. Based on the HC3700 the top of the projector to the ceiling should be 2'-1.8", but that also depends on on you your room height and how far from the floor you have the bottom of the screen at.

Here is the calculator from them that may help. I would use the extension to get under the fan if it was me. The calculator has the lens shift checker you can use as well.

Hope this helps.

https://files.support.epson.com/pdc/...ml5/index.html
Thanks for the help!

The tool is a bit confusing. What exactly does the 2' - 1.8" number mean?

Where, in relation to the top of the screen, should the projector be? Does it need to be right at the the top of the screen or more down the middle of the screen? (please see attached pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epson Calc.jpg (64.3 KB, 60 views)
post #425 of 836 Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help!

The tool is a bit confusing. What exactly does the 2' - 1.8" number mean?

Where, in relation to the top of the screen, should the projector be? Does it need to be right at the the top of the screen or more down the middle of the screen? (please see attached pic)
That would be the distance from the ceiling to the top of your projector. So you would need a drop of 2'-1.8" to put the projector in the spot where you would not need to use any lens shift. You can change that length if you go into options and put in your ceiling height like 8'-0" and the distance from the floor to the bottom of the screen where you want it.

You could set the projector with a drop pole to be just below the fan then use the lens shift to get it where you want it. You can also tilt the mount at the top a little to get it where you need. I have a HC2040 and haven't mounted it yet, but I have first figured out how far back my projector needs to be and then that will tell me where to set me mount. you can use the zoom to get it better after it is up.

Does that help or have I confused you more. I used to hanging projectors without lens shift so try to get it really close when setting up the mount.
HoustonAJ likes this.

post #426 of 836 Old 08-01-2017, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have not seen either one, but the HC3700 has 1000 more lumens and a higher contrast rating so it would be brighter. As for blacks not for sure. The 5040 would have be better blacks then either of the HC8350 or the HC3700. The HC3700 is newer technology then the 8350 so it should be much better. I like me current HC2040 and it is fine to me, but would have like to have had the HC3100, HC3700. HC4000 or HC5040 instead, but they are out of my budget. Hopefully someone with a HC3700 will chime in.
It would be nice if someone with experience with both could chime in. Or if I could find (preferably native/ANSI) contrast measurements and black level measurements of each.

I guess the black level and contrast of the HC3700 is at least as good as the HC8350 and with more lumens so it makes it more flexible with regards to putting an ND filter in front getting better blacks but without losing too much light. The HC8350 is already a very bright projector, even after 1000 hours on the lamp. I guess it helps that I am only projecting a short distance and on a 86" screen. Also, my room is not light controlled at all, it is my living room with bright walls etc.
post #427 of 836 Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
That would be the distance from the ceiling to the top of your projector. So you would need a drop of 2'-1.8" to put the projector in the spot where you would not need to use any lens shift. You can change that length if you go into options and put in your ceiling height like 8'-0" and the distance from the floor to the bottom of the screen where you want it.

You could set the projector with a drop pole to be just below the fan then use the lens shift to get it where you want it. You can also tilt the mount at the top a little to get it where you need. I have a HC2040 and haven't mounted it yet, but I have first figured out how far back my projector needs to be and then that will tell me where to set me mount. you can use the zoom to get it better after it is up.

Does that help or have I confused you more. I used to hanging projectors without lens shift so try to get it really close when setting up the mount.
That helps, I need to do some more measurement to figure this out. Thanks!
Ladeback likes this.
post #428 of 836 Old 08-02-2017, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That helps, I need to do some more measurement to figure this out. Thanks!
Your welcome.

@pinkfloydhomer , if you are happy with the 8350 why go to the ,3700? I would shoot for the 4000 or the 5040 if I was to upgrade. Like I said before the 5040 for sure will have better blacks, brighter and a lot more contrast. Now it is about another $1300 then the 3700. I settled for the 2040 for now, because it is an upgrade from what I had at a great price.

post #429 of 836 Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Your welcome.

@pinkfloydhomer , if you are happy with the 8350 why go to the ,3700? I would shoot for the 4000 or the 5040 if I was to upgrade. Like I said before the 5040 for sure will have better blacks, brighter and a lot more contrast. Now it is about another $1300 then the 3700. I settled for the 2040 for now, because it is an upgrade from what I had at a great price.
The 4000 is not available in Europe yet, but of course very interesting. The main reason for looking at 3700 instead of the others is price. If I can get a meaningful upgrade at this level compared to my 8340 then it might be worth it. I'm the kind of guy that is seldom an early adopter or buying high-end. Rather, I tend to aim for good value. At the time, the 8350 was great value but of course better projectors existed at higher price points. Still, upgrading from one "value" purchase to another "value" purchase 8 years later should still show considerable quality improvement in this value segment. If you wait long enough, the technology and quality of the high-end segment today will be available in the value segment. I like to think of it as if the items above the value segment doesn't even exist yet. That I am upgrading to whatever the best value is at the moment, which is still a lot better than my previous purchase. This goes for all kinds of purchases where there is significant development in quality and price, but typically tech purchases.
post #430 of 836 Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer View Post
The 4000 is not available in Europe yet, but of course very interesting. The main reason for looking at 3700 instead of the others is price. If I can get a meaningful upgrade at this level compared to my 8340 then it might be worth it. I'm the kind of guy that is seldom an early adopter or buying high-end. Rather, I tend to aim for good value. At the time, the 8350 was great value but of course better projectors existed at higher price points. Still, upgrading from one "value" purchase to another "value" purchase 8 years later should still show considerable quality improvement in this value segment. If you wait long enough, the technology and quality of the high-end segment today will be available in the value segment. I like to think of it as if the items above the value segment doesn't even exist yet. That I am upgrading to whatever the best value is at the moment, which is still a lot better than my previous purchase. This goes for all kinds of purchases where there is significant development in quality and price, but typically tech purchases.

The 3700 I believe with newer panels and technology will be brighter the 8350 and the blacks would be a lot better as well. When I was looking at projectors I was wanting this or the 3100 because of the lens shift and it being brighter, but my better half wanted me to stay under $1000 so I settled on the 2040 for around $500. It blows away what I had with a 720p projector and even 4K material looks really good on it. The 3700 would have been even better I am sure.

Is there a way you could try one out and if not like it take it back or do you have to order it and shipping it back a pain?

I found this review online that may help. All though I see the 8350 is still highly rated even though it is not 3D. Not sure if that maters to you or not. The 3700 also does picture in picture if you feed it 2 sources.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/v...jector-review/

post #431 of 836 Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know of a review of the 3D glasses this pj supports?

The negative points are what I have gathered from the net. It might not be accurate:

Epson ELPGS03: negative: moderate ghosting
eDimensional: negative: heavy ghosting
Samsung SSG 5150: ?
Dimensional 3active: ?
Xpand 3D Lite X105 X1 RF version (not X3 !):negative: less ghosting than eDimensional but darker 3D image

There maybe more glasses this pj supports.
post #432 of 836 Old 08-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold333 View Post

The negative points are what I have gathered from the net. It might not be accurate:

Xpand 3D Lite X105 X1 RF version (not X3 !):negative: less ghosting than eDimensional but darker 3D image

It'll support most if not all RF glasses
I've tried the samsung and the Epson and lots of crosstalk on both
post #433 of 836 Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold333 View Post

We use the Xpand X105 - ghosting is minimal, really depends upon the movie and I have no issue with brightness. Had guests over last night and they had not seen "Passengers" yet. Long story short - visibly impressed. Shooting on to a DIY spandex white/black screen.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #434 of 836 Old 08-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
We use the Xpand X105 - ghosting is minimal, really depends upon the movie and I have no issue with brightness. Had guests over last night and they had not seen "Passengers" yet. Long story short - visibly impressed. Shooting on to a DIY spandex white/black screen.
I just tried these $24 glasses from visions on my 3700, they were instock in my local store in Canada (15 day return policy if you don't like them). I thought they were fine. Tested Jurassic Park, Frozen, Lion King and they seemed pretty good minimal ghosting/crosstalk; I don't have any other RF glasses to compare.

I've seen 3D DLP with DLPlink before which was better for crosstalk but my old projector HD65 was too dark for my room, this seems great in comparison.

I Can't wait to upgrade to the 4KDLP projectors with 3D if they ever materialise though.

LG 3D Active Shutter Glasses - 2012 3D Plasma Models (AGS350)
http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...129&sku=AGS350

Last edited by brendabryg; 08-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #435 of 836 Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
Yeah.
I tried out the 3500 and returned it due to TBE (triple ball effect) on sports with FI engaged. With it off it had motion blur.
Decided to keep the Sony HW40 which is flawless with motion.
man this is my exact issue right now, i just got my first projector, an epson 2045, came into this thread to see if maybe a 3700 would be better since the issue im having is seeing TBE on football games when there is laser of a pass, its bothering me a lot more then i thought it would, so i was thinkning of returning the 2045 and getting the 3700 to see if this would get rid of it but from what i understand it doesnt. are there any projectors out there sub $1000 that dont have this, i really dont want to spent more then 1000 i was going to get a refurb 3700 for 1000 on amazon, any help would be appreciated, thanks!
post #436 of 836 Old 08-20-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked: 3008
@kingtana1 , as mentioned in the other thread DLP is inherently more resistant to motion blur than 3LCD. If you want to discuss DLP options <$1,000 we can do that in the other thread since this thread is for the 3LCD 3700.
post #437 of 836 Old 08-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@kingtana1 , as mentioned in the other thread DLP is inherently more resistant to motion blur than 3LCD. If you want to discuss DLP options <$1,000 we can do that in the other thread since this thread is for the 3LCD 3700.

i wasnt trying to discuss other DLP options, i was asking if a epson 3700 would improve the situation over the 2045 that I have since i really do like my epson projector and would prefer to stick something like this because of the cheaper replacement lamps. if its not going to really improve the situation then yes obviously i will inquire in the DLP projector forum
post #438 of 836 Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Finally finished building my DIY 135" screen, it's pretty awesome and it came out great. Looking forward to movie nights!

Link for more pictures and the instructions that inspired me
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...l#post54674004
JoeBoy73 and steve1106 like this.
post #439 of 836 Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Dead or stuck pixels. Ok, I am on my 2nd 3700 and am experiencing dead or stuck pixels. The 1st one had 3, one green, one white (more faint) to the right and down a bit (both in middle of screen, about 1/3 up from bottom). The 2nd projector has 1 bad pixel, stuck in red...in the middle near the top of screen.
Best Buy allowed return on the first with 3 stuck pixels and today I return the second with the 1 bad pixel.

I did a search on the thread but find no mention of this happening to others, do folks just not notice such?

???? My question is, do I dare hope for 3rd times a charm or just give up?

I think Epson requires 3 or more before they will return/replace from what I understand...but in a dark scene, this 1 red stuck pixel (in the middle, yet upper screen; still well within focus of eyes) looks like a laser pointed at the screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red pixel 2 (1).jpg (31.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg red pixel (1).jpg (44.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg green pixel.jpg (42.1 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by lazyboy; 08-23-2017 at 10:58 AM.
post #440 of 836 Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked: 3008
@lazyboy , try a search for stuck pixel fix. There are different videos available that can fix many stuck pixels, though not all. Many of the solutions are free so it's worth trying before returning a projector with a stuck pixel or two.
lazyboy likes this.
post #441 of 836 Old 08-23-2017, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Never noticed any on mine, but I don't/won't go looking for them.
post #442 of 836 Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 103
who owns the 3700? I just bought one. Its very good so far in bright room/dark room. Its Not Sony level contrast but I am super pleased with it.
post #443 of 836 Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysoleverywhere View Post
who owns the 3700? I just bought one. Its very good so far in bright room/dark room. Its Not Sony level contrast but I am super pleased with it.
I got one on Friday after almost four years with a couple of Epson HC2000s and I fully expected to be underwhelmed by the step up since I had been "mostly" satisfied with the HC2000s...but a side by side comparison between the two sold me. It is a nice upgrade in colors/contrast/black levels/quietness, much better with the lights on and the placement was much easier with the zoom/lens shift...but not as plug-and-play as the HC2000 since you have more settings/features to deal with.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 09-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #444 of 836 Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I got one on Friday after almost four years with a couple of Epson HC2000s and I fully expected to be underwhelmed by the step up since I had been "mostly" satisfied with the HC2000s...but a side by side comparison between the two sold me. It is a nice upgrade in colors/contrast/black levels/quietness, much better with the lights on and the placement was much easier with the zoom/lens shift...but not as plug-and-play as the HC2000 since you have more settings/features to deal with.

nice! I also have the Optoma UHD60 4k hdr and the Epson 1040...I think the 3700 beats the other two in contrast and color and definitely motion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #445 of 836 Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I currently have a 5030 that I still use for pitch black movie watching and have been thinking about an upgrade. Once I found out the 5040 didn't do the HDMI update (not a huge shock) I decided to get a light cannon to get me though football/basketball season and something I can move around the house or use outside for an outdoor movie night on the deck. Picked up the 3700 this weekend and have been really pleased. I have a media room that resembles a sports man cave (not a dedicated theater) and I watch a lot of sports on the big screen with lighting on in the basement. I can now turn every light on and have the 3700 on it's darkest setting and have lumens to spare. The room is still treated for dark movie night (dark ceiling, walls, carpet) so the black levels on the 5030 are still appreciated when it's time to watch a dark movie but it's no match for the 3700 with lights on sports viewing.
post #446 of 836 Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
I currently have a 5030 that I still use for pitch black movie watching and have been thinking about an upgrade. Once I found out the 5040 didn't do the HDMI update (not a huge shock) I decided to get a light cannon to get me though football/basketball season and something I can move around the house or use outside for an outdoor movie night on the deck. Picked up the 3700 this weekend and have been really pleased. I have a media room that resembles a sports man cave (not a dedicated theater) and I watch a lot of sports on the big screen with lighting on in the basement. I can now turn every light on and have the 3700 on it's darkest setting and have lumens to spare. The room is still treated for dark movie night (dark ceiling, walls, carpet) so the black levels on the 5030 are still appreciated when it's time to watch a dark movie but it's no match for the 3700 with lights on sports viewing.

isnt it nice to not have to sit in the dark like a weirdo? lol

post #447 of 836 Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
isnt it nice to not have to sit in the dark like a weirdo? lol

Certainly in the afternoons. I don't mind watching a late Saturday night game with the lights dimmed down low but during the day or with company over the lights are up all the way. I do have all the lights on dimmers so I can have some control of how much and where the lighting is coming from.
post #448 of 836 Old 09-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I've had it since the first few weeks it came out, and have been really pleased with it!
post #449 of 836 Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
I've had it since the first few weeks it came out, and have been really pleased with it!
i would say - nothing in this price segment can be expected to be perfect, but, with 3700 on a ceiling when we watch a movie I think about the movie and not the picture on the screen, so, to me it is also, more then enough for now.

and, of course, it would be _nice_ to get something better, but, from a practical reality perspective - 3700 'just works'.
post #450 of 836 Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by utkinpol View Post
i would say - nothing in this price segment can be expected to be perfect, but, with 3700 on a ceiling when we watch a movie I think about the movie and not the picture on the screen, so, to me it is also, more then enough for now.

and, of course, it would be _nice_ to get something better, but, from a practical reality perspective - 3700 'just works'.
Well, after waiting forever, I finally got tired and purchased a 3700 this weekend.

I was getting stuck in the perpetual loop of reading projector shortcomings, and always wanting to wait for something else.

Wasn't my first choice but there have been shortcomings with the 5040UB (that I was looking at). I then changed my direction to the Optoma UHD60 (also use my projector for gaming) but was worried about the lens shift in terms of installation easeability with my setup.

This model should hold me over until the 5040 successor implements full 18gb and perhaps lower price down the road; Or just plain overall 4k price drops and even better features with these 4k models.

I'm happy with the 3700 so far.

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver

Last edited by Number05; 09-18-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
3700 , Epson , focus , home cinema , powerlite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page