Epson Home Cinema 3700 - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes

post #781 of 835 Old 10-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need a little advice on this projector

Hi all,

I have narrowed my search down to this projector. I have a few questions, mainly for confirmation from the experts here on the forum. I have looked it up and can see what the ideal distance to screen is, but I'm looking for some real world application examples. Can anyone tell me if they have seen any difference in quality at different distances? in other words, ideally i would like to ceiling mount it about 9ft away from a 120 screen. Is this perfectly fine or is there a huge difference if i set it back a few feet (say 10-12ft)?

Also, with regards to screens. I am having a hard time narrowing that down. I am looking for a ceiling recessed motorized screen, 120 inches. Any recommendations? (also, not sure if I'm asking in the right place so feel free to point me to the right thread if this questions is more appropriate there).

Thank you all in advance. New to this forum and have been very impressed with the amount of help and community.

Cheers,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 835 Old 10-22-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguybrent View Post
Hi all,

I have narrowed my search down to this projector. I have a few questions, mainly for confirmation from the experts here on the forum. I have looked it up and can see what the ideal distance to screen is, but I'm looking for some real world application examples. Can anyone tell me if they have seen any difference in quality at different distances? in other words, ideally i would like to ceiling mount it about 9ft away from a 120 screen. Is this perfectly fine or is there a huge difference if i set it back a few feet (say 10-12ft)?

Also, with regards to screens. I am having a hard time narrowing that down. I am looking for a ceiling recessed motorized screen, 120 inches. Any recommendations? (also, not sure if I'm asking in the right place so feel free to point me to the right thread if this questions is more appropriate there).

Thank you all in advance. New to this forum and have been very impressed with the amount of help and community.

Cheers,
Brent
I don't think the 3700 can project a 120" screen from only 9ft away. You will need to move the projector back to around 11ft or so from the screen. Check one of the distance calculation sites for confirmation.
post #783 of 835 Old 10-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post
I don't think the 3700 can project a 120" screen from only 9ft away. You will need to move the projector back to around 11ft or so from the screen. Check one of the distance calculation sites for confirmation.
Yes, you are correct. I dont know where I got my numbers crossed. I looked at a few calculators and it looks like the throw range for 120" screen is 11'8" to about 17'5". The ideal distance being 14'4". Im fairly new to the projector world, I assumed just about any screen size was possible with some adjustment of the lens and such.

I guess my question should be what is the shortest distance anyone here has used to achieve 120" and a good image? Is it even possible at a distance closer to 11 feet let alone closer than that?

With a projector like this, is the throw distance pretty set in stone? ie: do i have to make sure i get this mounted right the first time before i go ahead and close up the ceiling, wire, etc.?

TY,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 835 Old 10-23-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
@thenewguybrent , FYI the 14' 4" isn't necessarily the "ideal" throw distance, it's just the midpoint of the throw range. The calculators default to the throw distance midpoint when you enter a screen size for a given projector model. The throw range is set in stone. If you get closer to a given size screen than the high end of the projector's zoom lens range then the image will be smaller than the screen and if you get further away than the low end of the zoom range the image will spill off the edges of the screen. The zoom lens will give you flexibility to adjust if your mounting point is a few inches off as long as you don't mount at either extreme of the throw range as indicated by the calculator.
post #785 of 835 Old 10-23-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@thenewguybrent , FYI the 14' 4" isn't necessarily the "ideal" throw distance, it's just the midpoint of the throw range. The calculators default to the throw distance midpoint when you enter a screen size for a given projector model. The throw range is set in stone. If you get closer to a given size screen than the high end of the projector's zoom lens range then the image will be smaller than the screen and if you get further away than the low end of the zoom range the image will spill off the edges of the screen. The zoom lens will give you flexibility to adjust if your mounting point is a few inches off as long as you don't mount at either extreme of the throw range as indicated by the calculator.
Hi Dave, tnx for the input. So I'm clear, you say the 14'4 is the midpoint of the range, does that mean I can mount potentially closer to the lower end of the range? Towards the end you say I can mount a few inches off as long as I'm not at the extreme end of the range? Can you clarify please?

Is trial and error the only way on going to find out how close i can mount?
post #786 of 835 Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can mount the projector anywhere within the throw range that the zoom lens allows. You said in your previous post that you had looked at a few calculators and it looks like the 3700's throw range for a 120" screen is 11' 8" to about 17' 5". If you mount the projector anywhere toward the middle of that range you can use the zoom lens to adjust the image size to fit the screen size, so there's no need to worry about being a few inches forward or back from the point you intended to mount. However, if you tried to mount the projector at exactly 11' 8" from a 120" screen and accidentally ended up 11' 6" from the screen the image would be too small for the screen and not within the zoom range of the lens to be correctable. Similarly if you tried to mount at exactly 17' 5" and ended up at 17' 7" by mistake the lens could not zoom the image small enough and it would spill off the sides of the screen.
post #787 of 835 Old 10-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You can mount the projector anywhere within the throw range that the zoom lens allows. You said in your previous post that you had looked at a few calculators and it looks like the 3700's throw range for a 120" screen is 11' 8" to about 17' 5". If you mount the projector anywhere toward the middle of that range you can use the zoom lens to adjust the image size to fit the screen size, so there's no need to worry about being a few inches forward or back from the point you intended to mount. However, if you tried to mount the projector at exactly 11' 8" from a 120" screen and accidentally ended up 11' 6" from the screen the image would be too small for the screen and not within the zoom range of the lens to be correctable. Similarly if you tried to mount at exactly 17' 5" and ended up at 17' 7" by mistake the lens could not zoom the image small enough and it would spill off the sides of the screen.
Thank you again. I think I understand the distinction now.

So in short, I am safe to mount at 12'? plenty of buffer from the 11'8 limit that I should be safe?
post #788 of 835 Old 10-24-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguybrent View Post
… So in short, I am safe to mount at 12'? plenty of buffer from the 11'8 limit that I should be safe?
It would be safe to mount with the front of the lens at 12' from the surface of the screen. That of course means that the mounting point where you actually make holes in the ceiling will be more than 12' from the screen so you just need to take your time and measure carefully. That 4" of buffer from the lens being 12' from the screen instead of the minimum 11' 8" is plenty as long as you measure accurately but is not much buffer if the measurement is done carelessly.
yakapo likes this.
post #789 of 835 Old 10-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
It would be safe to mount with the front of the lens at 12' from the surface of the screen. That of course means that the mounting point where you actually make holes in the ceiling will be more than 12' from the screen so you just need to take your time and measure carefully. That 4" of buffer from the lens being 12' from the screen instead of the minimum 11' 8" is plenty as long as you measure accurately but is not much buffer if the measurement is done carelessly.
Thanks so much for clarifying. I can breathe a sigh of relief now. I was worried I had to move it back to at least 14' and that would mean I'd have to go to 100" on my screen. At 14' I'd have to deal with heads popping up on screen. But at around 12' is where I wanted to be, right above the seating area so I can stay at 120". Although, my contractor insists 120" is too big for my room but thats a whole other conversation.
post #790 of 835 Old 10-25-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just double-checked the 3700 user guide to confirm throw distance. Epson says the minimum throw for a 120" screen is 139" which is 11' 7", so a carefully measured 12' from the front of the lens to the screen surface should give you a 5" cushion.
post #791 of 835 Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM
J55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J55 View Post
Returning a 3700...
Update to the quoted message:

I was able to get a replacement 3700, and the new unit was... better... but still exhibited the same "sloppy panel" issue - only this time the colors were spreading more from the vertical lines instead of the horizontal. It became obvious that it's a "feature" and the strength of it depends on your luck in the panel lottery. Anyway... the new unit WAS better, and I was going to keep it until I noticed that the fan was making an oscillating whining sound and that there was a dead pixel almost in the center of the screen.

So... either switch for a third one and hope for the best, or rethink my options (I had the possibility of full return). After furious googling I realized that the projector that also might meet all my criteria was Sony HW45ES - but it cost twice as much (here). Damn. Long story short(er), I decided to go all in and get the Sony, and since the 65ES (with iris) was only 150€ more, I got that one.

I have never spent so much in a single piece of home entertainment, but what can I say... this thing is awesome! Coming from the Epson, the drop in brightness was a let down at first, but after a few days of usage I can say it's plenty bright for my bat cave. The picture is crisp and Windows desktop looks better with this than the 3700. Not craving for that DLP sharpness anymore - this is definitely good enough (despite the plastic lens). And the pixel response is good enough for gaming too (along with input lag). And movies... wow. Actually I have no complaints at all except for one unfortunate "lottery" result: the otherwise quiet fan is making a bit annoying electrical motor sound on top of the smooth woosh of air. If it wasn't for that, I'd say I hit the jackpot.

I'm sure the 65ES is not TWICE as good as the 3700 (as the price implies), but it is better. Epson would have served me well if only I'd gotten a good unit before giving up on it.
post #792 of 835 Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Any information about when the successor to 3700 will be released?
post #793 of 835 Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does anyone know if this projector works well with Logitech universal remotes? Does it support full control of all the buttons?

Last edited by yakapo; 11-16-2018 at 06:40 PM.
post #794 of 835 Old 11-18-2018, 01:00 PM

I just purchased the 3700 on Best Buy's pre-Black Friday sale. I'm replacing my 705HD I purchased 7 years ago. Now I need to upgrade my screen.

I bought the Elite Screens Spectrum motorized 106" 16:10 to pair with the 705HD when I got it. That will be the current screen until I figure out what to do for a new 16:9 screen.

Currently mounted on brackets that suspend the screen about 6" from the wall and drops the screen in front of my plasma TV. Center channel speaker is in the wall 6" behind the screen, so some minor loss in sound quality of dialogue.

Looking at moving the plasma to another room and getting a fixed screen. Considering acoustically transparent screen, but would like to know if the trade off in minor sound quality is worth forgoing a screen that may give me a better image. I don't want to spend more than $500-600 and staying between 100"-110".

Room is a basement family room with can lights. Can turn them off in sections and go from minor ambient light to total darkness. Brown walls and white ceiling. Current mounted 705HD is projecting from 10'4" to the current screen. I figure the fixed screen will increase that distance by a few inches for the 3700 giving me the 100"-110" flexibility on choosing a screen.

Any suggestions of what has paired well with your projectors in similar environment would be appreciated.

Not opposed to DIY, but not my precerence.
post #795 of 835 Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
To confirm, the throw measurement is from the plane of the screen to the front edge of the projector lens, right? We're about to set up a 3700 in our living room and would like to ceiling mount it as far from the screen as possible so that the projector isn't hanging right smack in the middle of our living room. I've actually considered shelling out for a 4010 just for the bigger zoom lens, but I think the smaller cheaper brighter 3700 still wins as our renovation project is already way over budget and we'll probably be using it with a fair amount of ambient light at times.

I'll probably still not push it all the way to its limit just so I have a little zoom range left for fine tuning it to the screen edges, but I want to make sure I know where to measure from when mounting so I don't mess it up.
post #796 of 835 Old 11-21-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
To confirm, the throw measurement is from the plane of the screen to the front edge of the projector lens, right? ...
Yes, and it's easy enough to check before doing any mounting. Simply set the projector on the floor, plug it in and start it up. You don't even need a video source. Just let the projector's menu image project onto a wall. Adjust the zoom lens to make the image as small as possible. Move the projector back until you can measure a 120" diagonal image on the wall. Measure the distance from the front of the lens to the image on the wall. That's your minimum distance for a 120" image.
post #797 of 835 Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi to all, i'm new and english Is not my native language so sorry in advance for any mistake. I have a tw6700 (the european version of 3700) from 4 weeks and i need some confirm: is focus 100% perfect on the whole Image? Is this projector able to display a 10-12bit image?
post #798 of 835 Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 AM

How do you evaluate the following pics?

taken at about 10cm from the screen

I've already asked for a replacement, but the replacement was worse than this, so I'm thinking to keep this.
post #799 of 835 Old 01-24-2019, 05:16 AM

Anyone knows if is possibile to reduce the light output even in ECO mode? Is still too bright

Epson 3100 has the same lamp but a lower light output so it should be limited by software

I'm able to access to the dip-sw menu, anything useful there?
post #800 of 835 Old 01-28-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Corvotempesta View Post
How do you evaluate the following pics?

taken at about 10cm from the screen
Not too bad. I assume you are talking about the exact pixel alignment of the 3 colors.

1. I think there is a better self-test pattern to evaluate the "panel alignment down to the pixel"
2. You don't watch from 0.50 meters, you watch from at least 3 meters. How does it look from there?
3. Unlike the 8350, I thought the 3700 had a fractional adjustment for the alignment of the 3 colors.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #801 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Epson 3700 and empirical vs anecdotal evidence

After nearly 10 years of sterling service from my JVC RS20 and Epson 8700 in very nice rooms I have to rent for a while and neither will really fit.

So I’ve been researching cheapish modern projectors.

Prominent on my list is the Epson 3700. Partly because it was the subject of two thorough reviews, with measurements, from two of the most objective publications - Sound and Vison and Home Theatre HiFi.

Their measurements were very similar, especially in the areas that are important to me - black levels and contrast.

According to them, the 3700 has black levells and contrast (with iris) that fall just shy of the very best from Epson and JVC.

And yet a common comment here is that the 3700 has middling black levels and contrast.

How do we square this dichotomy?
post #802 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Epson 3700's native contrast is around 1400:1. It's black levels are poor. With the Epson 3700 you will experience grayish blacks in space scenes, etc. The difference in black levels between the Epson 3700 and any JVC projector is painfully obvious in person.
post #803 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s precisely my point. According to the measurements in the two mags (and another French one) the contrast with iris is around the 30,000 mark. And black levels are around .002ftL.

These numbers are similar (black levels) or better (contrast) to my Epson 8500 ( which no-one accuses of having poor blacks, ancient though it is) and better than every other projector they measured, Epson UB and JVCs aside.

I’m not expecting blacks as good as my current old projectors, and the room won’t support it anyway, but I’m curious about the discrepancy.

Have you seen a 3700 in action?

Same question applies to the 2150.

Or does no-one use the iris?
post #804 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
After nearly 10 years of sterling service from my JVC RS20 and Epson 8700 in very nice rooms I have to rent for a while and neither will really fit.

So I’ve been researching cheapish modern projectors.

Prominent on my list is the Epson 3700. Partly because it was the subject of two thorough reviews, with measurements, from two of the most objective publications - Sound and Vison and Home Theatre HiFi.

Their measurements were very similar, especially in the areas that are important to me - black levels and contrast.

According to them, the 3700 has black levells and contrast (with iris) that fall just shy of the very best from Epson and JVC.

And yet a common comment here is that the 3700 has middling black levels and contrast.

How do we square this dichotomy?
Well, I guess they're just wrong.

The simple fact that the Epson 3700 is a much brighter projector should make anyone suspicious about such claims, considering the price it's sold for.
post #805 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
That’s precisely my point. According to the measurements in the two mags (and another French one) the contrast with iris is around the 30,000 mark. And black levels are around .002ftL.

These numbers are similar (black levels) or better (contrast) to my Epson 8500 ( which no-one accuses of having poor blacks, ancient though it is) and better than every other projector they measured, Epson UB and JVCs aside.

I’m not expecting blacks as good as my current old projectors, and the room won’t support it anyway, but I’m curious about the discrepancy.

I've owned the Epson 3700 and the 2150. I've also owned dozens of other projectors. Epson projectors in general tend to have low native contrast. The only Epson projectors with average black levels are their UB line and their laser line.

My JVC RS620 had much deeper black levels with the iris open vs the Epson 3700 with it's Iris at it's most aggressive setting. The contrast level of the Epson 3700 is not even in the same universe as the JVC 5 series or 6 series.
post #806 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They may well be wrong, yet people quite happily quote their measurements and similar ones by Kris Deering and co from JVC, Epson Ub and Sony reviews.

Whilst I’ve had my RS20 a long time, it is my fourth JVC and the improvements from the first match the measurements these folk made.

As they should. Otherwise we are reduced to relying on photos on projectorreview.
post #807 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 03:25 AM

Comparing the sub-par black levels of the Epson 3700 to a JVC projector is akin to comparing the black levels of a low end RCA lcd TV from Walmart to a Sony Master Series OLED TV.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 01-30-2019 at 05:56 AM.
post #808 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
I can’t answer your question but if you have the two working projectors and the move is somewhat temporary, have you thought about a mirror setup to stretch the throw lengths? I used one with great success for 3 years.

Bud
post #809 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Liked: 2
Regarding the discrepancy in contrast readings: the Epson 3700, which I have, is quite a bit brighter than the JVCs. May be this can lead to inflation of the dynamic contrast measurements with iris? Personally, I find the black levels in a bright scene to be poor, but with the iris closed in a dark scene it improves dramatically.
post #810 of 835 Old 01-30-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

I used the two reviews in making my choice and they are still side by side in my bookmarks. I knew all my viewing was going to be in eco cinema which the review gave contrast of 2,142:1 iris off and 25,207:1 iris on. I've never used the projector with the iris off and at worst I can live with the 2,142:1 contrast in scenes that render the iris ineffective. While it is not even close to Epson's UB or JVC contrast levels, it is still fairly good for the cost given the projector's brightness, features, lamp replacement cost and warranty. I do a 151.5" 16:9 image in a less than perfect room and currently have about 3400 plus hours on the lamp.

...but I'm sure the JVC and Epson UB projector are in a totally different lane in terms of contrast. I just wanted a projector that after two years (warranty up Sept. 2019) I can toss if I want too or slap in a $99 lamp and go two more years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02161a.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2518384   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02258a.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2518386  

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
3700 , Epson , focus , home cinema , powerlite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page