Epson Home Cinema 3700 - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes

post #811 of 833 Old 01-30-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've got a small problem. Just purchased the 3700 after owning the panasonic ae8000u. Throw distance is 216" and my screen is 110" (ceiling mounted da-lite; projector is also ceiling mounted). I have a problem, the picture is spilling over my screen even with it completely zoomed out. I never even considered this would happen with the image going from one projector to the next.

What are my options? I can't move either :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 833 Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 PM

Also, how are you able to tell which signal type (1080P, I, 720P) is being shown on the projector? There's no info button.
post #813 of 833 Old 01-31-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I used the two reviews in making my choice and they are still side by side in my bookmarks. I knew all my viewing was going to be in eco cinema which the review gave contrast of 2,142:1 iris off and 25,207:1 iris on. I've never used the projector with the iris off and at worst I can live with the 2,142:1 contrast in scenes that render the iris ineffective. While it is not even close to Epson's UB or JVC contrast levels, it is still fairly good for the cost given the projector's brightness, features, lamp replacement cost and warranty. I do a 151.5" 16:9 image in a less than perfect room and currently have about 3400 plus hours on the lamp.

...but I'm sure the JVC and Epson UB projector are in a totally different lane in terms of contrast. I just wanted a projector that after two years (warranty up Sept. 2019) I can toss if I want too or slap in a $99 lamp and go two more years.
I've used the 3700, the 8700ub, and the 5020ub in the same rooms (my living room and theater room). The 3700 is perfect as a living room projector. I really enjoyed the 3700 because my wife insists on turning on lights so she can be productive while I relax at night. It's a light cannon.

In the light-controlled theater room, I went to Eco mode and put it in its darker, more accurate color modes, as it was too bright for me. I was surprised, as I love lumens. Contrast does not come very close to the 8700, let alone the 5020. I don't know what the reviewers that you noted were seeing, but it wasn't great. I had the 6100 as my first projector ~10 years ago and the black levels weren't as good as the 3700, if that helps. The 8700 is a tough comparison for the 3700 from a contrast perspective, but the 3700 trounces the 8700 with its vibrant image.

I've seen the 8350 in different settings, and it looses out to the 3700 in both brightness and contrast. Comparing black levels, I'd say the difference between the 8350-->3700-->5020 is about the same. I can't say the difference from the 3700-->8700 is as big of a difference as going from the 8350-->3700.

Now I'm back to the 8700 in our living room, and it just doesn't get bright enough. The contrast on the 8700 is superior when you have a light controlled room, and the 5020 is significantly better than the 8700. The 3700 is a really great bang for your buck projector, considering all the features. If they release an newer model, I'd consider it for my living room. I was borrowing the 3700 from a friend for about 6 months, and he finally asked for it back.
DigitalAV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 833 Old 01-31-2019, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The Epson 3700 is a media/living room projector. The JVC is not. They are two different things for different environments and are not meant to butt heads. Just as vice-versa for home theater, the Epson 3700 crushes a JVC in a lit living room on an ALR screen, especially when you start considering price/performance (and even then). Pair a 3700 with something like a Dark Energy screen, and you have a giant lights-on, high contrast, deep blacks picture.
Sekosche likes this.

post #815 of 833 Old 02-05-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
Also, how are you able to tell which signal type (1080P, I, 720P) is being shown on the projector? There's no info button.

Anyone?
post #816 of 833 Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
Anyone?
There is information of the signal input and other informations, on the menu of course.
post #817 of 833 Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 38
if anybody needs it - the original replacement lamp is in stock again.
https://epson.com/Accessories/Projec...p/p/V13H010L85

they were gone for a while...
post #818 of 833 Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 38
also, going back to that topic, as i need to replace my lamp anyway now - was anybody able to find a suitable low noise fan replacement to swap the original one? there was some discussion about it long time ago, but i did not see if it concluded with anything specific.
post #819 of 833 Old 06-09-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Is this still (the 3700) a worthy option for a mixed use media room at the under a grand price point?
post #820 of 833 Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Is this still (the 3700) a worthy option for a mixed use media room at the under a grand price point?

I've used the 3700 in my basement which is a media room / theater mix for about the last 18 months. About 40% sports and 60% movies. I'll be upgrading soon to the 6050 for the 4K/ish enhancements but if you're looking for no more than 1080p this is a fantastic bright room projector. I'm trying to figure out how to practically keep it in my media room for sports watching after I hang the 6050 as it's an extremely bright projector and will keep hours off the 6050 lamp when I'm watching games/cable. I can't fathom you'll find anything comparable for under $1,000 that's a 1080p projector.
post #821 of 833 Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
I've used the 3700 in my basement which is a media room / theater mix for about the last 18 months. About 40% sports and 60% movies. I'll be upgrading soon to the 6050 for the 4K/ish enhancements but if you're looking for no more than 1080p this is a fantastic bright room projector. I'm trying to figure out how to practically keep it in my media room for sports watching after I hang the 6050 as it's an extremely bright projector and will keep hours off the 6050 lamp when I'm watching games/cable. I can't fathom you'll find anything comparable for under $1,000 that's a 1080p projector.
Thanks for the reply! I'm planning on using it in the backyard for a summertime movie setup since it has built-in speakers. Then, will move it to my basement media room (not light controlled) once it's completed next spring. I feel the new 4K projectors are either way too expensive or have growing pain issues related to the new technology (HDR, WCG and such). Might wait a few years to jump in on 4K projection once things settle down a bit.
post #822 of 833 Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I'm planning on using it in the backyard for a summertime movie setup since it has built-in speakers. Then, will move it to my basement media room (not light controlled) once it's completed next spring. I feel the new 4K projectors are either way too expensive or have growing pain issues related to the new technology (HDR, WCG and such). Might wait a few years to jump in on 4K projection once things settle down a bit.

Let me throw one more at you to consider if you can figure out the audio and that's the BenQ TK800. It's $100 more but will throw in the 4K. You still keep the money in your pocket but get to scratch the 4K itch while the technology improves. If you can do a side by side that would be ideal assuming you purchase from somewhere with a generous return policy. The placement of the BenQ might not be as forgiving but I would at least look at it as a comparison.
post #823 of 833 Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good morning everyone.
I've just bought this projector for my photographic studio. I've read many review with suggested best settings:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...jector-review/

Gain Red = 39
Green = 51
Blue = 48
Offset Red = 49
Green = 50
Blue = 50

Color Temp 5 (1-10)
Skin Tone 3 (1-10)
Gamma -1
Super White Off
Contrast 48
Brightness 50
Color 50
Tint 53
Auto Iris High Speed
Sharpness (standard) 5
Thin Line / Thick Line 5 / 5

and

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

Economic lamp

Natural mode

Iris: Fast

Image interpolation: Medium

GAIN and Offset settings:

Offset R: 49 Offset G 50 Offset B 48

Gain R 50 Gain V 50 Gain Blue 44

Are these suggestion correct? I need to use it for work with light on, to show videos and photos to my clients, and in the evening with lights off to watch movies.
post #824 of 833 Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Some of those settings are generic that would work for all examples of that particular model and some like the finer gains and offsets are more specific to the specific tested example. UHP projector lamps are all slightly different and fine adjustments are needed to make them absolutely color neutral. Also the fine adjustments can compensate for different screens and viewing environments. So one projector's settings in its particular environment will not likely be exactly correct for another example in a different environment. You can always try those settings as a base line and then tweak them to suit your own personal preferences.
post #825 of 833 Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I went for it and got the 3700 mostly based on the positive reviews in this thread. I'm super excited as it's my 1st projector! I have a decent Blu-ray 3D collection so I can't wait to watch them all again with the 3700. I'll need 2 screens; an outdoor 120" and ultimately a fixed frame ~110" for the basement. Would a 0.8 gain like the Seymour Glacier Gray PS or Screen innovations Slate be a good match-up for the Epson? Mixed use media room basement 70% movies 30% sports.
post #826 of 833 Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I went for it and got the 3700 mostly based on the positive reviews in this thread. I'm super excited as it's my 1st projector! I have a decent Blu-ray 3D collection so I can't wait to watch them all again with the 3700. I'll need 2 screens; an outdoor 120" and ultimately a fixed frame ~110" for the basement. Would a 0.8 gain like the Seymour Glacier Gray PS or Screen innovations Slate be a good match-up for the Epson? Mixed use media room basement 70% movies 30% sports.

Assuming your room isn't treated (dark walls/ceiling) the Slate would work well. I don't know as much abut the Glacier Gray. You'll be throwing a minimum of about 50fl at the screen with this projector so you'll be able to run it in eco mode and won't hardly hear it at all. Just be sure you are aware that for ALR screens there is a minimum throw distance the projector has to be from the screen or you'll get really bad hot spotting. Check each companies website to confirm what that distance is. If you have a really wide viewing angle with your seating that will play into this as well as the ALR screens will drop off significantly from the sides. Slate isn't all that forgiving for side viewing.
post #827 of 833 Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Assuming your room isn't treated (dark walls/ceiling) the Slate would work well. I don't know as much abut the Glacier Gray. You'll be throwing a minimum of about 50fl at the screen with this projector so you'll be able to run it in eco mode and won't hardly hear it at all. Just be sure you are aware that for ALR screens there is a minimum throw distance the projector has to be from the screen or you'll get really bad hot spotting. Check each companies website to confirm what that distance is. If you have a really wide viewing angle with your seating that will play into this as well as the ALR screens will drop off significantly from the sides. Slate isn't all that forgiving for side viewing.
No, I will most likely have lighter colored walls and a white ceiling. I didn't know that about ALR screens having a minimum throw distance. I have a relatively short throw I guess (around 12 feet) so I hope that fact doesn't exclude me from using one of these screens. Viewing angle won't be that wide; single row of 4 theatre style recliner seats.
post #828 of 833 Old 07-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Set up my 3700 last night for a backyard movie using the internal speakers and it looked great. This being my first projector, i really didn't know what to expect but my wife and I were blown away at the picture quality. In Eco mode we never heard the fan, but then again we were sitting behind the projector.

I'm itching to try out the 3D as I have a pretty decent collection of 3D-BR and keep buying them when deals are to be had. This might be a stupid question but does everyone have to be wearing the same brand of RF glasses or can i mix and match while watching a movie? For instance, say I might be wearing the Epson ($99), wife has the Xpand ($39) on and the kids have the Samsung SSG-5150GB ($22). I would like to try several different brands and price points to see which ones have the best image and comfort.
post #829 of 833 Old 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I had my screen and projector installed by a pro who sells high end screens (mostly black diamond). I was using a relatively cheap 1.2 gain white screen. I told him I’d call him when I was ready to get a black diamond. He said, save your money, your screen looks just fine with the 3700.

I was considering upgrading to a 4k projector but I gave up on it. I’m going to wait until Epson releases the 4k upgrade to the 3700. Hopefully it’s just as bright. Now, if I buy a new home with a dedicated theater, I’ll consider a 4k projector with better contrast.
Cla55clown likes this.
post #830 of 833 Old 07-16-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Hello all!

Finally took the plunge and decided to go with a projector after many years of desiring one, so first time projector owner here. Went with the HC3700 because of the relatively positive comments on this thread and the great price Best Buy currently is offering. My current display is a 2016 65" LG OLED C6.

At the moment I am displaying the image at a white wall until I can get my unit set up and mounted. Coming from a 65", I am absolutely floored by the size and image seems good. I'm not sure what size the image is at the moment. I'm currently throwing from about 13 ft and have the lens zoomed in all the way. I assume the image is about 130" and I'm sitting at about 10 feet away. Not seeing screen door effect that I know of. The only thing I can nitpick so far is that images appear too sharp. Or maybe not sharp enough. Not sure. Edges around objects, pictures, text, people, eyes, mouths, faces appear jagged, even after using the focusing wheel on the lens to dial in. Not sure how to explain. Maybe there's a way to make the edges appear more natural. Played with sharpness settings a bit but it didn't seem to do much. Perhaps I'm sitting too close?

I have a few questions:

- Did not see any Firmware updates on the Epson US website for this model. Seems like the European model has had several FW updates.
- Anyone able to share their settings so I can use as a base to then fine tune to my liking?

So far I'm extremely happy and excited to have to made the jump. I'll enjoy the 3700 for a few years then make the move to a 4k. Thanks!
post #831 of 833 Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
Hello all!

Finally took the plunge and decided to go with a projector after many years of desiring one, so first time projector owner here. Went with the HC3700 because of the relatively positive comments on this thread and the great price Best Buy currently is offering. My current display is a 2016 65" LG OLED C6.

At the moment I am displaying the image at a white wall until I can get my unit set up and mounted. Coming from a 65", I am absolutely floored by the size and image seems good. I'm not sure what size the image is at the moment. I'm currently throwing from about 13 ft and have the lens zoomed in all the way. I assume the image is about 130" and I'm sitting at about 10 feet away. Not seeing screen door effect that I know of. The only thing I can nitpick so far is that images appear too sharp. Or maybe not sharp enough. Not sure. Edges around objects, pictures, text, people, eyes, mouths, faces appear jagged, even after using the focusing wheel on the lens to dial in. Not sure how to explain. Maybe there's a way to make the edges appear more natural. Played with sharpness settings a bit but it didn't seem to do much. Perhaps I'm sitting too close?

I have a few questions:

- Did not see any Firmware updates on the Epson US website for this model. Seems like the European model has had several FW updates.
- Anyone able to share their settings so I can use as a base to then fine tune to my liking?

So far I'm extremely happy and excited to have to made the jump. I'll enjoy the 3700 for a few years then make the move to a 4k. Thanks!
There are Image Enhancement settings in the menus. Turn them off. That should give you a flat image.
lodolfan likes this.

Sony BDP-S6700 (Region Free) | Dune Solo 4K | Zidoo X9S
Epson Home Cinema 3100 | Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" Screen
Yamaha RX-A770 | Chane A2.4 L-C-R | Fluance XLBP Wide Dispersion Bipolar Rears | Hsu VTF-2 MK5 Sub
post #832 of 833 Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post
There are Image Enhancement settings in the menus. Turn them off. That should give you a flat image.

I’ll try that. Thanks!
post #833 of 833 Old 07-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I like this projector...I had a 6500UB forever and upgraded to this.

My only "complaint" is that I don't think it has a 'cinema filter'. When changing modes on the 6500ub you could hear the mechanism sliding the cinema filter into place.

The cinema and natural mode on this projector look good, but it basically reminds me of the 6500 in living room mode, without the help of an internal filter to get a better representation of colors (rec 709, proper color plots one the cie chart etc...).

When the 6500 was in living room mode, you could get a really flat 6500K white balance, but the colors 'inside' just never seemed quite right. It just feels like that with the 3700.

Also the motion seems a little inferior (I have all motion related processing turned of, just like I did on my older projector).

Other than that, I can live with it. I like it's brightness the most, and that's on eco mode. Under a hundred bucks for a lamp is nothing compared to over two hundred for the 6500 (I only buy genuine lamps, as I've had not so great luck in the past with 3rd party lamps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
3700 , Epson , focus , home cinema , powerlite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page