Help me reduce yellow tint on my new Optoma HD37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2016, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Help me reduce yellow tint on my new Optoma HD37

Hi All, glad to be back!

So I finally got the HD37 as a replacement to my Epson 6100. I had to pick this one mainly because of the placement. But I'm glad with the overall experience. Except for whites that look a bit on the yellow side. Let me explain...

Out of the box I noticed most of the presets looked blueish. I went and searched reviews or threads to help me calibrate it. I found this review to be helpful (from hometheaterhifi.com), it recommended:

"While an instrumented calibration provides the best results, there are some settings you can make that greatly enhance the picture from its stock form. First, switch to the Reference picture mode. Then go into the Advanced menu and set Color Temp to D65 and Color Gamut to Native. That will get you most of the way to a very accurate image with rich saturated color and good contrast."

That actually worked, colors are AMAZING... they do seem a bit over saturated, but they are accurate and bright.

However, I noticed (especially when looking at my PC screen and back) that whites (blank website page for example) look yellowish.

What could be some tips to bring the whites back to a more whitish or even bluish side while keeping the rest of the colors accurate?

Anything on the top of your head I'll try and report on.

Thanks AVS!

Last edited by 7h0m; 08-11-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 185
That would be hard unless the projector has separate settings for highlights, midtones, and shadows.
I think you can fine tune the blue or color temperature to make it look more white.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-11-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Many are conditioned to think that cooler, bluish whites are more natural from a lifetime of watching improperly adjusted TVs push blue. When they see a true D65 white they tend to describe it as having more of an orangish/yellowish look that's sometimes described as "dirty" looking compared to the "cleaner" look of bluish whites. For many, watching true D65 whites for awhile eventually causes a perception readjustment and the orangish/yellowish whites begin looking more natural and bluish whites start looking unnatural. It took me a few weeks to completely adjust to true D65 whites once I learned the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Many are conditioned to think that cooler, bluish whites are more natural from a lifetime of watching improperly adjusted TVs push blue. When they see a true D65 white they tend to describe it as having more of an orangish/yellowish look that's sometimes described as "dirty" looking compared to the "cleaner" look of bluish whites. For many, watching true D65 whites for awhile eventually causes a perception readjustment and the orangish/yellowish whites begin looking more natural and bluish whites start looking unnatural. It took me a few weeks to completely adjust to true D65 whites once I learned the truth.
Very interesting point. Why do manufacturers push for blue in their display presets?

Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h0m View Post
Very interesting point. Why do manufacturers push for blue in their display presets?

Thanks
Bluish white is perceived by the human eye to be brighter, so it creates more pop in an image. When comparing TVs in big box stores people are attracted to the brightest image, so those that push blue often get selected over TVs that are calibrated closer to D65. Many big box stores are brightly illuminated with metal halide and fluorescent industrial lighting that pushes blue, so in display mode the TVs are trying to combat that and attract buyers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
calibration , colors , hd37 , Optoma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page