Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26866Likes

post #3841 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
i have been trying to deal with this as well. I have spent a lot of time working adjusting brightness and contrast, and to be honest HDR on this projector in its current form sucks.

In my opinion it ruins the picture, and it looks worse than 1080p. Last night I made some changes that have drastically improved the picture.

Try this and watch a UHD blu ray let me know how it works.

I have the samsung k8500 uhd player. I forced the color to RGB. If you have a different player turn off hdr or force the color out of Y'CbCr.

Next in the projector settings force SDR. Finally, set the colorspace to BT2020.

What this does is remove the HDR, but keeps the bt2020 wide colorspace.

You can switch back and forth from rec709 to bt2020 color if you want to see the improvement.

I have it set up this way, and now the picture is stunning. Epson needs to fix HDR on this projector, because the way it is implemented actually ruins the picture.

I also have the HD Fury linker arriving tomorrow, and I will test stripping HDR with that and see if it is different than the above mentioned method.

bottom line. Remove HDR if you want the picture to look good with UHD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is just UNBELIEVABLE and an EPIC FAIL on Epson's part. That so many people from around the world have to have a PhD in HDRology and come up with some complex mathematical equation for this HDR Projector to work with HDR. For a Decade anyone with little or NO knowledge of high Def or 1080 that bought a blu ray player, a blu ray movie and a HD tv ALWAYS got a HD signal and watched thousands of movies, tv shows, commercials, etc.
gnolivos and Oledurt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Ok I've had enough, we need to do something about this HDR problem.

ANYONE and EVERYONE dissatisfied with HDR on their 5040/6040 you must call Epson and explain your problem. If they get say 200 calls on this issue, trust me, they WILL try to do something about it within reason (technical and financial).

If this gets us nowhere, I will craft an email to Epson Projector VP.

CALL EPSON PROJECTOR SUPPORT:

(562) 276-4394

Hours :

Monday – Friday 6 am – 8 pm (PT)
Saturday 7 am – 4 pm (PT)

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #3843 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

ANYONE and EVERYONE dissatisfied with HDR on their 5040/6040 you must call Epson and explain your problem. If they get say 200 calls on this issue, trust me, they WILL try to do something about it within reason (technical and financial).

If this gets us nowhere, I will craft an email to Epson Projector VP.

(562) 276-4394

Hours :

In a nutshell, what should we report? I haven't had any time to experiment with HDR or troubleshoot but am willing to report the issues that every unit is experiencing to raise awareness.

AVR | Yamaha RX-A3050 // Projection | Epson 5040UB // Speakers | Fluance XL series (7) SVS Subs (.2) Origin C62 (.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3844 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post
In a nutshell, what should we report? I haven't had any time to experiment with HDR or troubleshoot but am willing to report the issues that every unit is experiencing to raise awareness.

I'd keep it honest. If you aren't personally going through issues don't call. They will be asking detailed questions such as what player, what movies, etc.

I strongly suggest you do not call if you don't have first-hand experience with these issues.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #3845 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
I'd keep it honest. If you aren't personally going through issues don't call. They will be asking detailed questions such as what player, what movies, etc.

I strongly suggest you do not call if you don't have first-hand experience with these issues.

I have contacted Epson via email but i will follow up with a phone call.

post #3846 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
i have been trying to deal with this as well. I have spent a lot of time working adjusting brightness and contrast, and to be honest HDR on this projector in its current form sucks.

In my opinion it ruins the picture, and it looks worse than 1080p. Last night I made some changes that have drastically improved the picture.

I have the samsung k8500 uhd player. I forced the color to RGB. If you have a different player turn off hdr or force the color out of Y'CbCr.

Next in the projector settings force SDR. Finally, set the colorspace to BT2020.

You can switch back and forth from rec709 to bt2020 color if you want to see the improvement.

I have it set up this way, and now the picture is stunning. Epson needs to fix HDR on this projector, because the way it is implemented actually ruins the picture.

I also have the HD Fury linker arriving tomorrow, and I will test stripping HDR with that and see if it is different than the above mentioned method.

How are the colors on standard bluray?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

post #3847 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

perfect

post #3848 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
How are the colors on standard bluray?

perfect

post #3849 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
I've given up on HDR (for now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
The Martian and The Revenant were both overly dark for my liking with the out of box settings. I'm projecting onto a 115" 1.1gain screen from 12' in a completely light controlled room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achanonier View Post
I already sent them a email for the exact same thing !
We really need that HDR contrast adjustment !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
It is very dark, that's why I suggest owners send in comments to implement a new firmware with some sort of HDR contrast adjustment as the Sonys have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post
I've noticed that the HDR modes are very dark too. I need to do some testing and make sure the colors are right, because when my 5040 is set to one of the HDR modes, it gets very dark and sometimes very ugly.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
This is just UNBELIEVABLE and an EPIC FAIL on Epson's part. That so many people from around the world have to have a PhD in HDRology and come up with some complex mathematical equation for this HDR Projector to work with HDR. For a Decade anyone with little or NO knowledge of high Def or 1080 that bought a blu ray player, a blu ray movie and a HD tv ALWAYS got a HD signal and watched thousands of movies, tv shows, commercials, etc.
Quote:

(562) 276-4394

Hours :

WOW! Looks like @rupedogg24 and I opened up Pandora's box...was wondering why there wasn't more widespread agreement and concern. I totally agree with 99% of @Smarty-pants comments but take "minor" exception to the last statement..."It seems to never end if you always want the best out of your system."

This is absolutely true for all of us. However, the issue here is that we should expect the starting point to be minimally at an acceptable level for any given product. I will be placing a courteous and cordial call to Epson. Thanks gnolivos!
gnolivos and rupedogg24 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #3850 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
WOW! Looks like @rupedogg24 and I opened up Pandora's box...was wondering why there wasn't more widespread agreement and concern. I totally agree with 99% of @Smarty-pants comments but take "minor" exception to the last statement..."It seems to never end if you always want the best out of your system."

This is absolutely true for all of us. However, the issue here is that we should expect the starting point to be minimally at an acceptable level for any given product. I will be placing a courteous and cordial call to Epson. Thanks gnolivos!

i am on the phone with epson right now. sent them screenshots issue is being escalated as i type lol

gene4ht, gnolivos, sddp and 1 others like this.
post #3851 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I have the Costco version of the Samsung player and will give this a try. Where do I change the to the bt2020 wide colorspace? Is that easy to find? I don't remember seeing it off the top of my head.
post #3852 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
i am on the phone with epson right now. sent them screenshots issue is being escalated as i type lol

I've seen people post on one of the Epson or JVC forums of people having both an Epson 5040/6040 and a JVC (e.g., RS400), I'd be curious if they see an offending UHD 4K HDR title/scene on one projector and play it back on the other if it comes down to certain titles are just mastered too dark in HDR for projectors in general re: how many lumens the current models can pump out. I would think some titles/scenes would look OK in HDR on these projectors and some not but that is just a guess. In order to get anywhere near the HDR experience flat screens deliver I would think the answer is projectors will have to really be able to increase lumens a lot.
gene4ht and jbarteli like this.
post #3853 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post
I have the Costco version of the Samsung player and will give this a try. Where do I change the to the bt2020 wide colorspace? Is that easy to find? I don't remember seeing it off the top of my head.

in the projector settings signal tab advanced colorspace

post #3854 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I've seen people post on one of the Epson or JVC forums of people having both an Epson 5040/6040 and a JVC (e.g., RS400), I'd be curious if they see an offending UHD 4K HDR title/scene on one projector and play it back on the other if it comes down to certain titles are just mastered too dark in HDR for projectors in general re: how many lumens the current models can pump out. I would think some titles/scenes would look OK in HDR on these projectors and some not but that is just a guess. In order to get anywhere near the HDR experience flat screens deliver I would think the answer is projectors will have to really be able to increase lumens a lot.
Most of us are likely in agreement that current PJ's lack the necessary lumens to provide "stellar" HDR performance. And it's also likely that there is a variation in HDR title mastering. I think however that if a manufacturer markets it's product as HDR compatible/capable, the consumer should expect a minimum level of "acceptable" performance. If this can't be managed, then a performance disclaimer should be included. IMO, manufacturers have an obligation to perform some level of due diligence...i.e. test with as much available content as possible and with consumer panels. I realize these are all idealistic scenarios and the reality today varies. Relative to HDR implementation, it's really in infancy going through growing pains. The solution, I feel, lies in the near future when standards (for HDR hardware and software) are developed, implemented, and met. Meanwhile, we should expect caring and concerned manufacturers to follow Sony's (per Dave Harper) lead and provide interim solutions to its consumers.
Dave Harper, Oledurt and McBadden like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #3855 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Most of us are likely in agreement that current PJ's lack the necessary lumens to provide "stellar" HDR performance. And it's also likely that there is a variation in HDR title mastering. I think however that if a manufacturer markets it's product as HDR compatible/capable, the consumer should expect a minimum level of "acceptable" performance. If this can't be managed, then a performance disclaimer should be included. IMO, manufacturers have an obligation to perform some level of due diligence...i.e. test with as much available content as possible and with consumer panels. I realize these are all idealistic scenarios and the reality today varies. Relative to HDR implementation, it's really in infancy going through growing pains. The solution, I feel, lies in the near future when standards (for HDR hardware and software) are developed, implemented, and met. Meanwhile, we should expect caring and concerned manufacturers to follow Sony's (per Dave Harper) lead and provide interim solutions to its consumers.

I spoke with a representative at Epson today who promised to take my information to senior people. I have dealt with Epson before and they really do care about what we say.

I sent some screenshots and I will share them here with you. Basically what you can see is that HDR mode is too dark and details are lost. Color may be superior but you sacrifice the detail in the image.

When you look at SDR you see all the detail return, and even upscaled blu ray has more detail than UHD with HDR on. That is not a good thing. All the hype is about how much better UHD is and HDR. Epson has a real problem here.

The projector is in bright cinema mode on all these screenshots.

This first image is take from UHD 4k Hunger Games Mocking Jay part 2. It is a darker image and HDR 1 is engaged.

Same Image with HDR 1 off

Different image HDR 1 engaged. Same UHD Disc

Same image with HDR 1 off

Now we have the same images on the regular Blu Ray rec.709 and SDR engage. 4k pixel shift is on as well.

gene4ht and Adrienn like this.
post #3856 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've been playing around with HDR and linker as well, some comments (correct me if i'm wrong):

Quote:
When you do this, the HDR isn't actually stripped, rather you are telling the projector to apply SDR processing, ie. apply the standard 2.2 gamma curve rather than ST2084. This results in a washed out look in my experience.

Quote:
The signal sent from UHD is still bt2020, when you manually select the color space in the projector, it applies the rec 709 processing to the bt2020 signal which might undersaturate the colour. (not sure about this point, others can chime in)

A more accurate way to test the differences would be to ensure that the signal is natively rec 709 and bt2020.

Quote:
I bought the Linker because a lot of people said that it can strip the HDR while retaining WCG. I find this statement to be inaccurate.

The linker is just a scaler / on-the-fly EDID editor which can tell your source whether your unit is capable of WCG+HDR or just HDR. It doesn't actually remap the colour space nor process HDR image into SDR, this will be left to your source device.

For my PS4 pro, EDID#10 (WCG only with HDR disabled) means that my projector is flagged as not having HDR capability, and thus the HDR function is disabled within PS4 pro itself. The only way to "strip" HDR, is to use the normal EDID and windows GUI to remove the HDR metadata from the signal. But this merely tells the epson to use the SDR processing instead of HDR, the signal itself is HDR. Essentially, this is the same result as not having the linker altogether and just manually select SDR. Either way (with Linker or not) you will get a washed out image.
I don't see any way to actually separate WCG and HDR with ps4 pro with the WCG image properly remapped to the standard gamma curve.

Now, there might be UHD players out there that can let you independently turn off HDR or WCG and process the image accordingly. If you have that kind of player, using EDID#10 will let you properly strip HDR out of the signal and process it correctly. This is how the JVC users have been doing it as far as I know.

Others more knowledgeable please correct me, I'm still figuring out these things too.
Oledurt and McBadden like this.
post #3857 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
If you have a different player turn off hdr .

IMHO you are doing redundant things.
May be following will work exactly the same way

Option 1:
- HDR off in the player
- Simply change color space to BT202 in Epson

Option 2:
- Leave HDR on in the player
- Set Dynamic Range to SDR and color space to BT2020 in Epson

Theoretically Option2 should be better, assuming WCG reaches the PJ and is still maintained by the forced settings on it. But I may be wrong.
post #3858 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
rspace.

This would be really interesting and everyone is waiting for the results.
If it works better HDFury will be flooded with (pre)orders from Epson owners..
gene4ht likes this.
post #3859 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
I've been playing around with HDR and linker as well, some comments (correct me if i'm wrong):

When you do this, the HDR isn't actually stripped, rather you are telling the projector to apply SDR processing, ie. apply the standard 2.2 gamma curve rather than ST2084. This results in a washed out look in my experience.

The signal sent from UHD is still bt2020, when you manually select the color space in the projector, it applies the rec 709 processing to the bt2020 signal which might undersaturate the colour. (not sure about this point, others can chime in)

A more accurate way to test the differences would be to ensure that the signal is natively rec 709 and bt2020.

I bought the Linker because a lot of people said that it can strip the HDR while retaining WCG. I find this statement to be inaccurate.

The linker is just a scaler / on-the-fly EDID editor which can tell your source whether your unit is capable of WCG+HDR or just HDR. It doesn't actually remap the colour space nor process HDR image into SDR, this will be left to your source device.

For my PS4 pro, EDID#10 (WCG only with HDR disabled) means that my projector is flagged as not having HDR capability, and thus the HDR function is disabled within PS4 pro itself. The only way to "strip" HDR, is to use the normal EDID and windows GUI to remove the HDR metadata from the signal. But this merely tells the epson to use the SDR processing instead of HDR, the signal itself is HDR. Essentially, this is the same result as not having the linker altogether and just manually select SDR. Either way (with Linker or not) you will get a washed out image.
I don't see any way to actually separate WCG and HDR with ps4 pro with the WCG image properly remapped to the standard gamma curve.

Now, there might be UHD players out there that can let you independently turn off HDR or WCG and process the image accordingly. If you have that kind of player, using EDID#10 will let you properly strip HDR out of the signal and process it correctly. This is how the JVC users have been doing it as far as I know.

Others more knowledgeable please correct me, I'm still figuring out these things too.

Well this is disappointing to hear as I ordered the HDFury linker I thought it would work.

I guess it now comes down to either I just deal with the darker images or I get a different projector.

post #3860 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I spoke with a representative at Epson today who promised to take my information to senior people. I have dealt with Epson before and they really do care about what we say.
I too called and spoke with a tech support rep who identified himself as Paul. He indicated that although the number provided by @gnolivos routes through Long Beach, CA, he was actually based in Manila. After telling him the reason for my call, he indicated that this is the first he's heard of any HDR issues with the 5040/6040 and felt it was an isolated problem. From my experience with manufacturer's call center scripted procedures, this is a common first level response. At any rate, I assured him the issue is more widespread. He then requested only very basic information...PJ model number, source device, if the source connection was direct (to PJ) or indirect (via processor) and a description of the issue...that's all. With this information, he indicated a case number would be created (I have it) and the case would be escalated to second level support. I'm glad it's now documented but not completely comfortable that it will reach the correct personnel. Not having any prior experience with Epson customer service/support, I prefer to rely on your more positive experience.

post #3861 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I too called and spoke with a tech support rep who identified himself as Paul. He indicated that although the number provided by @gnolivos routes through Long Beach, CA, he was actually based in Manila. After telling him the reason for my call, he indicated that this is the first he's heard of any HDR issues with the 5040/6040 and felt it was an isolated problem. From my experience with manufacturer's call center scripted procedures, this is a common first level response. At any rate, I assured him the issue is more widespread. He then requested only very basic information...PJ model number, source device, if the source connection was direct (to PJ) or indirect (via processor) and a description of the issue...that's all. With this information, he indicated a case number would be created (I have it) and the case would be escalated to second level support. I'm glad it's now documented but not completely comfortable that it will reach the correct personnel. Not having any prior experience with Epson customer service/support, I prefer to rely on your more positive experience.

They will soon know it's widespread. And for the record I called about this HDR issue 3 months back and they took screenshots from me through email. They sure KNOW.
gene4ht likes this.

post #3862 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Does anyone like the 5040-6040.I just got the 6040 havnt hooked it up yet,seems like I bought the wrong projector after reading all the bad opions here.
post #3863 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
Does anyone like the 5040-6040.I just got the 6040 havnt hooked it up yet,seems like I bought the wrong projector after reading all the bad opions here.
I like my 6040.
Yes, there is this HDR issue bing discussed. But show me a projector in the market for this price point where HDR is working 100%.
Having said that, let's give Epson a chance. They may already be working on it.
gene4ht likes this.
post #3864 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
I absolutely love my 5040. I'm not worried about the HDR issues, as I have it turned off at the source. If they ever fogure it out and get it working properly I will turn it back on. This thing throws a beautiful picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
gene4ht, schmidtwi and jladner like this.

Projector: Epson 5040ub DIY 140" Acoustic Screen
AVR: Onkyo RZ1100 (Main)
Blu-ray: PS4 -- Panasonic UB900
Speakers: 5.2.4 Atmos Sound System
Subwoofers: Dual Marty Cubes w/SI 18" - DIY Build w/SI 15"
post #3865 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
5040 UHD vs 1080p upscaled

One big question for the community. Its of course hard to tell from pictures on the 5040 UB, but is the picture difference from a 1080p bluray pixel shifted vs a UHD 4k that great? The reason I ask is right now I would need a UHD player(xbox one S-$300 and of course purchasing new movies vs just watching my current blurays?

also how

Does the 5040 UB output 4k shifting at 60Hz? HTPC games or/and movies?

Thanks to anyone who answers trying to find this all day on google!
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #3866 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I like my 6040.
Yes, there is this HDR issue bing discussed. But show me a projector in the market for this price point where HDR is working 100%.
Having said that, let's give Epson a chance. They may already be working on it.
JVC made substantial changes to HDR on the RS400 after release. You have to think that was based on user reports. The practice of releasing a minimum viable product and then iterating on it after release is becoming much more common. I'm not sure I agree 100% with that philosophy, just stating the facts. I'm sure you all have had that feeling with various products that you paid money for a finished product only to find out that you were a beta tester instead. That's just the direction software industry has gone, sadly.
gene4ht and aaranddeeman like this.
post #3867 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

FYI, if you call and insist on a higher tier and they will transfer you BACK to Long Beach (southern Cali) and no more language barrier and they know their stuff without having to read it off a script.
The transferring offshore is great for basic technical issues. I've been using Epson products for almost 15 years and don't mind the overseas tech support. They genuinely try to help and it's always been free on all of my products even a decade after the warranty has expired. But this HDR business is gotten out of hand.
About 3 months ago when the thread "Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread" it only had around 20K views. By the end of this month/year it'll probably hit quarter of a million. For the ones that write about their issues there's easily 100 more who don't.
gene4ht likes this.
post #3868 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev23007 View Post
One big question for the community. Its of course hard to tell from pictures on the 5040 UB, but is the picture difference from a 1080p bluray pixel shifted vs a UHD 4k that great? The reason I ask is right now I would need a UHD player(xbox one S-$300 and of course purchasing new movies vs just watching my current blurays?

also how

Does the 5040 UB output 4k shifting at 60Hz? HTPC games or/and movies?

Thanks to anyone who answers trying to find this all day on google!
Just thought of something else, I have a ton of .mkv bluray files on my PC. Ive always used kmplayer to watch them, will this upscale with pixel shift detecting the content correctly via gtx 1070 hdmi 18.0 gbps cable to my Epson 5040UB?
post #3869 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well this is disappointing to hear as I ordered the HDFury linker I thought it would work.

I guess it now comes down to either I just deal with the darker images or I get a different projector.
It's not quite that black and white (no pun intended) for me. I actually like the image with HDR off in the Philips player. From my perspective, the 5040 is a significant improvement in sharpness, color, blacks, and contrast over my current 8 year old Panny 3000. HDR is a feature I was looking forward to. But since I never had it, I don't miss it. And hopefully, Epson will deliver a solution. And as @WynsWrld98 eluded to, this is likely a common issue with other PJ's.

post #3870 of 17583 Old 12-06-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do NOT misinterpret the current HDR discussion! IMO, the 5040/6040 are excellent PJ's! We're just attempting to find a solution for one of its features, namely HDR, that doesn't perform to expectations. This appears to be an issue that all PJ's at moment and at this price point and even significantly higher have. Unbox your 6040, feel good about your choice/purchase, and enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page