Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26902Likes

post #4321 of 17707 Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Most of those questions can be a mixed bag of nuts because you can go in different directions with different things.

I haven't really played much with Strip Metadata feature of the 203 lately, but...

I know it works and is also still a work in progress. I don't really see any major red push going to the 5040,

but this could have changed in the last few fw revisions, I'm not really sure.

I truly have confidence that Oppo will get it sorted out soon. You can be the judge for yourself when you get it and try it out.

(I don't think the bt2020 flag is false though. That is just people talking out of the wrong end of their body.)

Generally I let Oppo do the heavy lifting with upscaling, but again this can be tricky since the 5040 will be doing

conversion no matter what since it's not true 4K. I would try things both ways in your own setup and see what you like better.

Different ways of sending standard Blu-ray content would be Source Direct, or different iteration of Deep Color and Color Space along

with Custom 1080p, or scale it to 4K. Both Oppo and Epson have great scaling so one really isn't better than the other.

At one time, I think I thought sending Blu-ray at 1080p to the Epson looked better, but that is no official statement.

However for UHD Blu-ray I pretty much just send Source Direct.

One good thing about the Oppo is that the AUTO settings are very good. You can't really go wrong using them.

Since the Epson is limited on what it can accept, the Oppo receives the proper metadata for the Epson and sends the proper signals.

You will love what UHD looks like with the Epson. The darkness of HDR can be calibrated somewhat,

but try it with and without and decide for yourself.

Personally I tend to watch bright UHD content WITH HDR and darker movies WITHOUT HDR.

With the way I do stuff, and testing things and whatnot, I am always changing stuff, so my settings are a bit of a moving target.

Thanks for the detailed response. Received my 203 today and happy to report that everything seems to be working without a hitch between my 203, Denon x4200w, and 5040. Time to mess with all the video settings to see which look better.

Do you know if you can save different settings in the 203? Like one group for 1080p and one for UHD?

Check out my HT & Movie collection @ http://www.blu-ray.com/community/profile.php?u=379734

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 17707 Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Known major issue. I reported this one first. Do you have latest Epson firmware? They claim to have fixed it. I upgraded and it seems to have fixed it for me. One other member here however claims to continue having issues.

If you upgraded and still have lock ups PLEASE CALL EPSON SUPPORT ASAP. This is a number one priority issue for them and would likely want to hear your particular story and setup.

I also reported this to Epson awhile ago and the FW update seemed to have fixed it for me.

Check out my HT & Movie collection @ http://www.blu-ray.com/community/profile.php?u=379734

gnolivos likes this.
post #4323 of 17707 Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has anyone had any noticeable lag with the UBe? I think it's my old xbox, but when I try to play blu rays on it, the video and audio is slightly off. I am using the UBe wireless HDMI. Directv, roku ultra, etc works fine, but has anyone experienced these type of issues?

Epson 5040UBe, 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge 7 Screen 1.4 gain with LEDs
Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
Klipsch Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 surround sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4324 of 17707 Old 12-20-2016, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighernan View Post
gnolivos thanks for the note. I tried to search for it and couldn't find anything but this thread is a bit long and admit to skipping a few pages here and there as i read through it.

Anyway, will try to upgrade firmware when i get home tonight and will let you know if it solves it. if not, Ill be sure to contact epson.

ndabunka, dvdwilly3 and gnolivos -- thank you.

I updated the firmware and the issues are no longer present. I can sleep happy tonight
gnolivos, ndabunka and dvdwilly3 like this.
post #4325 of 17707 Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
I also reported this to Epson awhile ago and the FW update seemed to have fixed it for me.

If I may suggest to remove the distracting message "Check out my HT...." from every post and move it to your AVS signature instead.
It's bit annoying when reading the post(s), honestly.
post #4326 of 17707 Old 12-20-2016, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
I just got the HDFury Linker and started to play with it a bit together with the XBox One S and the 6040ube. I am not there yet but i would like to share what I have experienced so far. If someone is interested I took some screeshots of the projector and linker info and posted them on a German forum. Screenshots are also in German but you will get the point. HIFI-Forum link

Outcome so far:
1. Xbox shows full compatibility to 4k and HDR content with the linker directly connected to the wireless box (I got a receiver in between but its set to not upscale)
2. no HDR with the game I tested (FF15). HDR is not even sent from the XBox but from what I have read FF15 should be in HDR
3. there is something strange going on having BT709 as input and BT2020 as output from the linker. That sounds to me kinda impossible beside "faking" the signal to BT2020 even though the color space is still BT709
3. Both games and Netflix are 8bit. This was to be expected since the projector is limited to 8bit with 60Hz. Interesting to see is that even if 10/12 bit is sent to the projector it seems to "downscale" it to 8bit but plays well. In other words the bandwidth of the wireless connection can't be the limiting factor since the 10/12bit get transmitted (or the wireless box is already downscaling it but I doubt that). It's the HDMI chip itself or better Epson who restricted it to 8bit at 60Hz. At least the wireless chip was reported to be able to handle 10/12bit at 60Hz.
4. With Netflix I get BT2020 and HDR2. I am just curios if this even makes sense at 8bit

I am going to play more around with the Linker settings and I did no projector calibration at all with the linker in between so far. But not looking at the numbers and just from the first look with linker but without calibration it did not look impressive at all (or even worse) with 8bit even with BT2020 and HDR. It comes all back to streaming like Netflix UHD content and gaming is in 60Hz and thats limited to 8bit by the projector

NoTechi
I'm curious where you found a 6040ube? I was under the impression that the ube was only available as a 5040.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Epson 5040ub
Integra DRX-3
B&W all around
XBone One S, PS4, WII U
Da Lite 110 inch fixed screen
Near Bat Cave
post #4327 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. Received my 203 today and happy to report that everything seems to be working without a hitch between my 203, Denon x4200w, and 5040. Time to mess with all the video settings to see which look better.

Do you know if you can save different settings in the 203? Like one group for 1080p and one for UHD?

No, not really. Not sure that would be a good way to do it anyway. The Epsons are very customizable and you can just save different memory/picture settings in the Epson for the same purpose.

My advice with the Oppo is to just leave most of the picture settings at default and auto.
If you want some explicit setting, you can try Color Space: 4:2:2 and Deep Color: 10 bit.
Set Resolution to Source Direct and you are good for pretty much all movies and shows.
(Be sure to turn OFF any scaling in the Denon)
post #4328 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, not really. Not sure that would be a good way to do it anyway. The Epsons are very customizable and you can just save different memory/picture settings in the Epson for the same purpose.

My advice with the Oppo is to just leave most of the picture settings at default and auto.
If you want some explicit setting, you can try Color Space: 4:2:2 and Deep Color: 10 bit.
Set Resolution to Source Direct and you are good for pretty much all movies and shows.
(Be sure to turn OFF any scaling in the Denon)
Ah. Does mean it will send the exact source resolution to display and will not upconvert everything to 4k? That would be neat.
I am missing that in the Philips.
post #4329 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Has anyone here that owns a Oppo 103d feed the projector 2K4K from the Oppo with darbee?

Just curios is the Oppo does better than the Epson.
post #4330 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just joined the Epson 5040 owners club. Placed the order yesterday and will be setting things up next week. Just couldn't pass on the $2799 price. It's my first projector purchase so really looking forward to it. Have appreciated all the thoughts and comments on this thread as I debated the purchase.

Next up: UHD blu-ray.
Dave Harper and McBadden like this.

Audio: Yamaha CX-A5100 | Adcom GFA-555 + Outlaw Audio 5000 + Onkyo M-5010
Mains: Klipsch RP-160M + FM8 | Center: Klipsch RP-450c
Surrounds: Klipsch RP-160M | Klipsch R-15M | Polk Audio RC65i
Subs: Rythmik F15HP x4
Video: Vizio P702ui-B3 | Epson 5040ub | Oppo 203
post #4331 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeliao View Post
Just joined the Epson 5040 owners club. Placed the order yesterday and will be setting things up next week. Just couldn't pass on the $2799 price. It's my first projector purchase so really looking forward to it. Have appreciated all the thoughts and comments on this thread as I debated the purchase.

Next up: UHD blu-ray.
Well I just did the same thing, I joined the club. Will be delivered on Friday, merry Xmas to me, lol.

I have to stop hanging around here.

Could not pass up the reviews here and BB 24 month financing. Play with their money.

Hope is a great upgrade to my Benq w1070. That will be going in my sons bedroom for his gaming.
RLBURNSIDE and Holy Sith like this.
post #4332 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBadden View Post
I'm curious where you found a 6040ube? I was under the impression that the ube was only available as a 5040.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Actually I got a Epson EH TW9300w which should be the European name for the 6040ube.
There is also a TW9300 which is the same without wireless. And there is the little brother TW7300 where no wireless version is available afaik.

NoTechi
post #4333 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Received my 203 as well...as you suggested, my settings are at default and auto. I did however experiment with stripping HDR (metadata) and, like others, encountered "red push." Can/should this be counteracted with color adjustments or is this something Oppo is/will be correcting?

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #4334 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrenshaw7 View Post
Will a Sanus Universal mount work with the 5040? I am using it with a 5030 now and need to know if I need to get a new mount. Thanks for your help
The Geek Squad was able to make the Sanus VMPR1 mount work with my 5040. It took my coaxing them and some extra effort on their part. I believe there are 9 mount holes on the 5040. The Sanus has 4 arms that wouldn't reach to the 4 outer most corner holes. But the projector seems to be balanced and stable with all 4 arms attached where they did reach.
post #4335 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Ah. Does mean it will send the exact source resolution to display and will not upconvert everything to 4k? That would be neat.
I am missing that in the Philips.
Yes resolution of the source material will remain unchanged when using Source Direct. That means 4k output for UHD, 1080p output for standard Blu-ray, and 480p output for DVD. This may or may not be recommended for most 4K displays, but the Epsons are not true 4K,
and scaling signals in the player once and then again in the projector could yield worse results rather than letting the pj just scale them once before applying eShift. It's always best to try it different ways though, and use your own source of judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Has anyone here that owns a Oppo 103d feed the projector 2K4K from the Oppo with darbee?
Just curios is the Oppo does better than the Epson.
I honestly have not specifically tried that with my Epson 5040 yet. I would wager an educated guess that it's probably better to not scale it to 4K in the player and just send it as 1080p with Darbee enhancement. If sending the 4K signal to the Epson, the Epson will have to downscale it back to 1080p anyway before applying eShift. Also be careful with using Darbee AND the sharpening enhancements of the Epson.
Too many enhancements will cause picture degradation and artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Received my 203 as well...as you suggested, my settings are at default and auto. I did however experiment with stripping HDR (metadata) and, like others, encountered "red push." Can/should this be counteracted with color adjustments or is this something Oppo is/will be correcting?
The Strip Metadata feature of the Oppo is still being worked on. Whatever anomalies you see will be corrected in time. It's impossible to know how long that will take, but Oppo is working all issues. They are very proactive in that regard.
gene4ht and McBadden like this.
post #4336 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
The Strip Metadata feature of the Oppo is still being worked on. Whatever anomalies you see will be corrected in time. It's impossible to know how long that will take, but Oppo is working all issues. They are very proactive in that regard.
Thanks...comforting to know!

Since Oppo discussion is slightly OT here, this new thread I just discovered might be helpful also....nevertheless...certainly appreciate your input here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...es-thread.html
ndabunka and Adrienn like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #4337 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Thanks...comforting to know!

Since Oppo discussion is slightly OT here, this new thread I just discovered might be helpful also....nevertheless...certainly appreciate your input here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...es-thread.html
That thread is very unnecessary IMO. For people trying to follow UDP-203 discussions, there are already 3 threads and that one makes 4.
I know the owners thread is VERY busy right now, but in time it will slow down and be more stable.
I will always try to offer help with the 203 and how it works with the Epson 4040/5040/6040 when I can if there are specific questions here.
General questions about the 203 should be posted in the owners thread, and if they happen to slip through the cracks and not addressed within 24 hours or so, feel free to resubmit. I can tell you for sure that there are no representatives from Oppo helping on the forum right now.
Mostly it comes from beta testers and owners who are just trying to help when they have the time.
Personally I can't even keep up with all the comments in the owners thread. I have to resort to skimming when I get too far behind, lol.
gene4ht likes this.
post #4338 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 176
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to look back to see if I can find some pictures.

The main drawback is the price of course. But if it's really that good then I might make the jump. Also for the lens memory for my next AT 2.35 screen.
I also upgraded to the Epson from a BenQ W1070. It is a huge upgrade, worth the jump. The 1070 is a very good budget pj that throws a good picture, but the Epson is an AWESOME PJ!!

EDIT: ooops, just saw you ordered the Epson. Congrats - you will like..
bluer101 and Holy Sith like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010

Last edited by schmidtwi; 12-21-2016 at 02:51 PM.
post #4339 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Just got a 6040 today and I've got a bright blue spot. Any ideas what this is? I don't see anything on the lens so I'm afraid it's coming from within. Seems a bit to obvious to be a dust blob and unlikely brand new, but maybe?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161221_215911.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1846945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161221_215857.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1846953  

Go Broncos!
post #4340 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post
Just got a 6040 today and I've got a bright blue spot. Any ideas what this is? I don't see anything on the lens so I'm afraid it's coming from within. Seems a bit to obvious to be a dust blob and unlikely brand new, but maybe?

Thanks
Dust blob or it is on the screen.
post #4341 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Dust blob or it is on the screen.
In further testing, if I isolate the colors with the remote "pattern" button the red color has a dark spot, both green and blue are perfectly normal. So from what I can tell this blue blob is due to a lack of red color which makes perfect since considering it's cyan and not really blue.

Assuming it's a dust blob on the red LCD, is there any risk in trying to clear this one myself? I'm not familiar with the process with this projector but I know with most projectors you can attempt to clear it yourself. I just don't want to damage it or void the warranty.

Thanks

Go Broncos!
post #4342 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Thanks

got a purple one much smaller than that but it was visible from viewing distance, my dealer contacted Epson & they replaced mine with new one.
post #4343 of 17707 Old 12-21-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Thanks

Take it back to dealer and get it replaced. Don't put any hours on it. Simple swap.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4344 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I had pretty much the same thing on my second (yes SECOND!) TW9300 (European black 5040ub). It was slightly more green than cyan and a bit more central than your spot. I assumed it was some kind of dust blob, took it back to my dealer and had it swapped out for a third.

Just for reference, my first had a green tint in the bottom right corner. It wasn't as bothersome as the green/cyan spot in the middle of the screen but still needed replacing. It actually took my dealer a couple of weeks to get a replacement from Epson (these things are selling like hot cakes) and I probably put >300hrs on it (it's basically my TV). So far, so good with my 3rd model. At first I was rather peeved (slight understatement) with the issues but I guess these things just sometimes happen with tech and I can't complain about the warranty service I've had so far (hopefully I won't be needing any more support).

I upgraded from a BenQ W1070 and the stunning picture from this Epson just blew me away (even with the teething troubles). I know it's to be expected for the price difference but still...this light cannon just throws a stonking image. I'm sure it almost burned a hole in my screen it was so bright!

Anyway, I hope your warranty replacement is swift and pain-free

Epson TW9300 (black 5040ub) | Denon AVR-2312 | Kef speakers (7.1) | Canton subwoofer | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Sky HD | Xbox One, PS3, Wii U | DeLuxx 110" 16:9 fixed screen
post #4345 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question 3D help

Had kept up with the first 90some pages...lot of new info/pages since then that I haven't been able to check through all, but did try a search with no help

xBox one (S)...USB hard drive. Trying to play a 3D movie, and I get the split screen on each of them. How do I blend them? My only other 3D display is an LG tv, and I press the 3D button and it brings up images asking "how is the image displayed- split vertically or horizontally" and it's as simple as that.

3D is enabled on xbox...anyone know what I'm missing here?

Thanks!
post #4346 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALadder22FF View Post
Has anyone had any noticeable lag with the UBe? I think it's my old xbox, but when I try to play blu rays on it, the video and audio is slightly off. I am using the UBe wireless HDMI. Directv, roku ultra, etc works fine, but has anyone experienced these type of issues?
Also have UBe and using WiHD. I haven't tried any physical media, but I have an XB1, and have played high bitrate content through Plex without any trouble. No a/v sync issues at all.
post #4347 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
can't get lens memory to work right. I have a new cinemascope widescreen. I have saved the lens setting for 16x9 perfectly accurate, but when I zoom out and save the lens memory for the 2.40.1 aspect ratio it does not accurately recall that position. For example, I hit lens 2 it moves to the 16x9 setting perfectly. I hit lens 1 it goes back to widescreen setting however it is off from the original saved setting.

i have saved, readjusted, and re saved countless times, no matter what I do it will not accurately save that zoomed out wide lens position accurately.

Nathan Cardinale likes this.
post #4348 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quick firmware update question, when I plug the USB in will it start updating firmware instantly or will I have to tell it?
post #4349 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Quick firmware update question, when I plug the USB in will it start updating firmware instantly or will I have to tell it?

You tell it. You tell it: "I will read your manual".
bpassman likes this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4350 of 17707 Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
You tell it. You tell it: "I will read your manual".
Lol yea I laughed when I realized I wrote, tell it. I am not able to find my damn manual, but I thought itd be as easy as selecting update like my Denon and that would be it. I have my USB stick in with the file. Not sure what to do next here, lookin up some info and can't find specifics. Gonna see if the 5040ub manual is online, betting it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page