Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26939Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4351 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Got it all updated, good stuff
gnolivos likes this.

Last edited by Savatage316; 12-22-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Savatage316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4352 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gnolivos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OHIO, USA
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
It's on Epson website.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
gnolivos is offline  
post #4353 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Got it all updated. So here's what I have, firmware didn't solve my purple screen issue when it comes to hdr. I called epson and they said it's most likely the receiver which is why it's not passing hdr. In my info area of my projector I'm betting BT 709 SDR. So I'm not getting an hdr signal.

Anyone have the Denon S910w model?

I'm still learning on this new stuff so I'm just not sure what options would open this signal up. But it makes sense that my problem is right there
Savatage316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4354 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Member
 
bighernan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
dust blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjackdowntheline View Post
Does anyone else get a slight hum when viewing 4K content at 60hz? Noticed with my gaming PC at 4K 60hz.


Last night I noticed a greenish blob during dark scenes. its on the far left of the image, dead center on the vertical plane. I tried to remove by wiping lens - still there. Its definitely a dust blob. Didn't even have it for a full week. Called my dealer today and after 15 minutes on the phone, epson is sending me a replacement unit and ill be sending this one back. I had my optima HD25-LV for almost 4 years and never had an issue so i hope this dust blob just a one off and not indicative of the 5040ub quality.

flapjackdowntheline, I do hear a slight hum when 4k enhancement is enabled, and honestly, i think i like the picture a more with 4k enhancement disabled anyway, so im keeping it off. I am still able to apply image resolution enhancement (Super Resolution and Detail Enhancement) while keeping 4k enhancement disabled.

With the projector in eco mode and 4k off, its nearly silent.
bighernan is offline  
post #4355 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,081
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Got it all updated. So here's what I have, firmware didn't solve my purple screen issue when it comes to hdr. I called epson and they said it's most likely the receiver which is why it's not passing hdr. In my info area of my projector I'm betting BT 709 SDR. So I'm not getting an hdr signal.

Anyone have the Denon S910w model?

I'm still learning on this new stuff so I'm just not sure what options would open this signal up. But it makes sense that my problem is right there
Run an HDMI cable direct from your source device to the projector to rule out the Denon causing any problems (as a test).
gnolivos likes this.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #4356 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'll do that for sure. Here's a question, if everyone goes into their info section, does that color format say bt.709 sdr or is everyone else getting bt.2020 hdr?
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4357 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
welldun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Got it all updated, good stuff
I've tried countless time to do the upgrade (including once with while on the phone with an epson tech support person), but some how the update does not install.

Here are my steps again, perhaps you can chime in and tell me if you did something different to get the update to work.
  1. step1. formatted a 4Gb Sandisk USB stick to FAT on my Windows 10 laptop
  2. Step2. I downloaded the Epson 108/104 firmware file and copied it to the formatted USB drive. the file extension is ".bin"
  3. step3. I unplugged the projector.
  4. step4. I inserted the USB drive into the middle USB port of the 5040ub.
  5. Step5. while holding down the standby/power button on the projector, I plugged the power cord to the projector.
  6. Step6. once the Blue and Orange lights near the standby button begin to flash, I release the standby button.
  7. Step7. After releasing the button, I sit and wait. but within 10 second my Projector goes into standby mode with just the blue light of the button remaining on.
  8. I left the unit like that for more than 8 hours only to find that the firmware did not update
welldun is offline  
post #4358 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
I've tried countless time to do the upgrade (including once with while on the phone with an epson tech support person), but some how the update does not install.

Here are my steps again, perhaps you can chime in and tell me if you did something different to get the update to work.
  1. step1. formatted a 4Gb Sandisk USB stick to FAT on my Windows 10 laptop
  2. Step2. I downloaded the Epson 108/104 firmware file and copied it to the formatted USB drive. the file extension is ".bin"
  3. step3. I unplugged the projector.
  4. step4. I inserted the USB drive into the middle USB port of the 5040ub.
  5. Step5. while holding down the standby/power button on the projector, I plugged the power cord to the projector.
  6. Step6. once the Blue and Orange lights near the standby button begin to flash, I release the standby button.
  7. Step7. After releasing the button, I sit and wait. but within 10 second my Projector goes into standby mode with just the blue light of the button remaining on.
  8. I left the unit like that for more than 8 hours only to find that the firmware did not update
Well only thing different I did was format it at fat32, maybe that is what the difference is that's needed for you. Also did you put the file in a folder or anything?
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4359 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
welldun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Well only thing different I did was format it at fat32, maybe that is what the difference is that's needed for you. Also did you put the file in a folder or anything?
I did FAT because that's what the instructions called for. And as far as the file goes, I did not put it in a folder. The instructions call for it to be in the root directory (which I understood as, no folder).
welldun is offline  
post #4360 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
I did FAT because that's what the instructions called for. And as far as the file goes, I did not put it in a folder. The instructions call for it to be in the root directory (which I understood as, no folder).
Right, just was making sure. I did FAT 32 tho so give it a try
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4361 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Member
 
rjguk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Some USB sticks are partitioned so that manufacturer-supplied software can always run and this can possibly interfere with what the update process is expecting. Sandisk Cruzer is a case in point. I had a stick (Sandisk Cruzer) where it didn't work, a different stick (Kingston Datatraveler) was fine with exactly the same procedure. Apart from that, formatting as FAT32 is required, and the .bin file the only single thing on the stick.

(You can get rid of the Sandisk partition, but it is easier to use a different make)
rjguk is offline  
post #4362 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
See what I'm not getting is in my info area, my color range is bt.709... But I can scroll back a bit and up and head to other settings and change my image to bt.2020...and I get even darker more colorful colors. But when I go back to look at my info it's still showing 709. I don't understand that.
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4363 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
can't get lens memory to work right. I have a new cinemascope widescreen. I have saved the lens setting for 16x9 perfectly accurate, but when I zoom out and save the lens memory for the 2.40.1 aspect ratio it does not accurately recall that position. For example, I hit lens 2 it moves to the 16x9 setting perfectly. I hit lens 1 it goes back to widescreen setting however it is off from the original saved setting.

i have saved, readjusted, and re saved countless times, no matter what I do it will not accurately save that zoomed out wide lens position accurately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#1) Ensure that neither of the settings is at the projectors "MAXIMUM"
#2) Ensure that you ...w....a.....i.....t before trying to SAVE the memory setting as the projector does a few gyrations before it reaches it's "final" setting. Others were adjusting and then saving before this settled and reported that simply waiting 2 minutes before saving the setting resolved the issue
#3) As is already posted here on one of these threads, EPSON has provided guidance as to how to "properly" adjust the settings before saving. It has something to do with incremental and/or "partial" increments that are possible in the adjustment. Please do a search using the search function on this forum and enter something logical into it like "epson saving" or "memory saving" or similar for exactly how EPSON recommends that you perform the changes and save

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #4364 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
See what I'm not getting is in my info area, my color range is bt.709... But I can scroll back a bit and up and head to other settings and change my image to bt.2020...and I get even darker more colorful colors. But when I go back to look at my info it's still showing 709. I don't understand that.
Nothing odd there. Sounds like your source is only sending 709.

The changes you are making on the projector can't change the source data. It can and does attempt to provide you the 2020 color pallet but since the source isn't 2020 it will, very understandably, look worng because it is wrong

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #4365 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Got it all updated. So here's what I have, firmware didn't solve my purple screen issue when it comes to hdr. I called epson and they said it's most likely the receiver which is why it's not passing hdr. In my info area of my projector I'm betting BT 709 SDR. So I'm not getting an hdr signal.

Anyone have the Denon S910w model?

I'm still learning on this new stuff so I'm just not sure what options would open this signal up. But it makes sense that my problem is right there
Did the purple screen go away once you connected direct to the projector (e.g. removed the AVR from the equation)? That particular Denon is supposed to be capable of supporting HDR so it's more likely a setting in the Denon box is set incorrectly (e.g. over riding/blocking HDR).

Sounds like you will want to take this one to the Denon thread to get guidance from others who use Denon's rather than expecting to find a S910W user on this thread (a bit of a longer shot).

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #4366 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Did the purple screen go away once you connected direct to the projector (e.g. removed the AVR from the equation)? That particular Denon is supposed to be capable of supporting HDR so it's more likely a setting in the Denon box is set incorrectly (e.g. over riding/blocking HDR).

Sounds like you will want to take this one to the Denon thread to get guidance from others who use Denon's rather than expecting to find a S910W user on this thread (a bit of a longer shot).
Gonna try to run that line now and see if I can get the purple screen to go away without the avr, hadn't had a moment. But I posted on the Denon thread, no luck yet getting a response.
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4367 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So is this how the difference of color ranges should look?

https://flic.kr/p/Qfco8Q

https://flic.kr/p/QhVMj2

Top one 709, bottom set to 2020.

What am I looking at here, it was set to auto. Is that 2020 setting lookin like it's displaying properly, if so then why wouldn't it automatically detect that?
Adrienn likes this.
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4368 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
#1) Ensure that neither of the settings is at the projectors "MAXIMUM"

#2) Ensure that you ...w....a.....i.....t before trying to SAVE the memory setting as the projector does a few gyrations before it reaches it's "final" setting. Others were adjusting and then saving before this settled and reported that simply waiting 2 minutes before saving the setting resolved the issue

#3) As is already posted here on one of these threads, EPSON has provided guidance as to how to "properly" adjust the settings before saving. It has something to do with incremental and/or "partial" increments that are possible in the adjustment. Please do a search using the search function on this forum and enter something logical into it like "epson saving" or "memory saving" or similar for exactly how EPSON recommends that you perform the changes and save


Thank you so much...problem solved.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oledurt is offline  
post #4369 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
welldun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
Some USB sticks are partitioned so that manufacturer-supplied software can always run and this can possibly interfere with what the update process is expecting. Sandisk Cruzer is a case in point. I had a stick (Sandisk Cruzer) where it didn't work, a different stick (Kingston Datatraveler) was fine with exactly the same procedure. Apart from that, formatting as FAT32 is required, and the .bin file the only single thing on the stick.

(You can get rid of the Sandisk partition, but it is easier to use a different make)
Thanks for the info about the partition on the Sandisk Drive. I will look for a different USB stick. unfortunately the other USB sticks that I have at the moment are 64Gb, and for some reason windows 10 won't format those into anything other than NTFS or Exfat. I hope that's the issue and not anything else.

I actually made a short video of the procedure as it happens with my setup, so that anyone who has done the update can view it and tell me if their process was similar. The one thing that I know is not happening is the "75 seconds" of lights flashing during the update that the instructions mention. In the video, you can see how after just a few seconds, the unit goes into standby.

One quick question for all of you who have the 5040ub. Does the projector make all the white lettering look green when you first start it up? my unit seems to come on with greencoloring on everything that should be white. However, the green goes away once the projector warms up.

here is the link to the video that I recorded. It includes a mini tour of my setup and the update procedure. I put it in Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjw0uef3ur...ilure.mp4?dl=0
welldun is offline  
post #4370 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
Thank you so much...problem solved.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good to hear this helped!

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #4371 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
So is this how the difference of color ranges should look?

https://flic.kr/p/Qfco8Q

https://flic.kr/p/QhVMj2

Top one 709, bottom set to 2020.

What am I looking at here, it was set to auto. Is that 2020 setting lookin like it's displaying properly, if so then why wouldn't it automatically detect that?
There is a button you can push on the remote that will show you the ACTUAL specs of what is coming into the projector and also what the projector is outputing. I don't recall the button and am not by my projector now but if you read the manual or perhaps just investigate the remote a bit you should be able to easily find it. Something like INFO if I recall

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #4372 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Member
 
bighernan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I had a very similar issue while upgrading. It wasn't working. What did it for me is I had to use diskpart to delete all partitions and wipe the drive completely and then format it FAT or FAT32 (don't remember which one I did).

You can try following this guide on how to use diskpart. It's pretty straightforward. Once it's properly formatted, you can copy the file and try the upgrade again. Best of luck.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725797(v=ws.11).aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
Thanks for the info about the partition on the Sandisk Drive. I will look for a different USB stick. unfortunately the other USB sticks that I have at the moment are 64Gb, and for some reason windows 10 won't format those into anything other than NTFS or Exfat. I hope that's the issue and not anything else.

I actually made a short video of the procedure as it happens with my setup, so that anyone who has done the update can view it and tell me if their process was similar. The one thing that I know is not happening is the "75 seconds" of lights flashing during the update that the instructions mention. In the video, you can see how after just a few seconds, the unit goes into standby.

One quick question for all of you who have the 5040ub. Does the projector make all the white lettering look green when you first start it up? my unit seems to come on with greencoloring on everything that should be white. However, the green goes away once the projector warms up.

here is the link to the video that I recorded. It includes a mini tour of my setup and the update procedure. I put it in Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjw0uef3ur...ilure.mp4?dl=0
bighernan is offline  
post #4373 of 17847 Old 12-22-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
I've tried countless time to do the upgrade (including once with while on the phone with an epson tech support person), but some how the update does not install.

Here are my steps again, perhaps you can chime in and tell me if you did something different to get the update to work.
  1. step1. formatted a 4Gb Sandisk USB stick to FAT on my Windows 10 laptop
  2. Step2. I downloaded the Epson 108/104 firmware file and copied it to the formatted USB drive. the file extension is ".bin"
  3. step3. I unplugged the projector.
  4. step4. I inserted the USB drive into the middle USB port of the 5040ub.
  5. Step5. while holding down the standby/power button on the projector, I plugged the power cord to the projector.
  6. Step6. once the Blue and Orange lights near the standby button begin to flash, I release the standby button.
  7. Step7. After releasing the button, I sit and wait. but within 10 second my Projector goes into standby mode with just the blue light of the button remaining on.
  8. I left the unit like that for more than 8 hours only to find that the firmware did not update

Why don't you try the alternate method of using USB cable and your computer mentioned here.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #4374 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 04:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does both HDMI ports on the 5040ub accept a 4k signal? The issue I have is that I have an HDMI cable in the wall that is 2.0 but not hdcp 2.2 capable (it is 1.4) I can get a converter to convert the hdcp 2.2 signal coming out of my reciever, to hdcp 1.4 before it connects to my in wall hdmi 2.0 hdcp 1.4, while still allowing the 4k information through, but will the 5040ub non hdcp 2.2 port accept the 4k information at the hdcp 1.4 level? If not, will the hdcp 2.2 port accept a hdcp 1.4 4k signal?

thanks everyone!
swyda038 is offline  
post #4375 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Despoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
Thanks for the info about the partition on the Sandisk Drive. I will look for a different USB stick. unfortunately the other USB sticks that I have at the moment are 64Gb, and for some reason windows 10 won't format those into anything other than NTFS or Exfat. I hope that's the issue and not anything else.

I actually made a short video of the procedure as it happens with my setup, so that anyone who has done the update can view it and tell me if their process was similar. The one thing that I know is not happening is the "75 seconds" of lights flashing during the update that the instructions mention. In the video, you can see how after just a few seconds, the unit goes into standby.

One quick question for all of you who have the 5040ub. Does the projector make all the white lettering look green when you first start it up? my unit seems to come on with greencoloring on everything that should be white. However, the green goes away once the projector warms up.

here is the link to the video that I recorded. It includes a mini tour of my setup and the update procedure. I put it in Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjw0uef3ur...ilure.mp4?dl=0

Don't use Windows to format USB SD devices. It never works in my experience. Go grab a free tool called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||
Despoiler is offline  
post #4376 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 AM
Member
 
leo9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Well only thing different I did was format it at fat32, maybe that is what the difference is that's needed for you. Also did you put the file in a folder or anything?
I had a similar issue. I tried downloading the file to a new USB stick and then it worked properly. Even though I had formatted the first stick correctly the projector just wouldn’t read it. You may want to try a new USB stick.
schmidtwi likes this.
leo9000 is offline  
post #4377 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
welldun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thank you all for your prompt replies on how to get the firmware update done. I managed to find an old USB stick that I got from a conference. I was able to format that one to FAT32, put the software on and it, and it worked beautifully. The update is there now.
leo9000 and Adrienn like this.
welldun is offline  
post #4378 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Does both HDMI ports on the 5040ub accept a 4k signal? The issue I have is that I have an HDMI cable in the wall that is 2.0 but not hdcp 2.2 capable (it is 1.4) I can get a converter to convert the hdcp 2.2 signal coming out of my reciever, to hdcp 1.4 before it connects to my in wall hdmi 2.0 hdcp 1.4, while still allowing the 4k information through, but will the 5040ub non hdcp 2.2 port accept the 4k information at the hdcp 1.4 level? If not, will the hdcp 2.2 port accept a hdcp 1.4 4k signal?

thanks everyone!
swyda038 is offline  
post #4379 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Savatage316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So I got my pro to accept 2k hdr, but man it was super dark and dim. Like I was lookin at a screen blanketed by smoke, just dark. Anyone ever experience that before?
Savatage316 is offline  
post #4380 of 17847 Old 12-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Member
 
Colin Goddard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 17th state of the union...
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a question that I have been searching here and with the owners manual..Maybe I over looked it? Anyway,I have an Epson 6040, Marantz 7010 and an Oppo 203...with that said, How do I switch HDR modes on my 6040?.. I would like to go from HDR1 to HDR2 to see the difference in picture quality..Or is HDR encoded on the disc your watching and can't be change?..A little confused here..Thanks in advance for your help..
Colin Goddard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off