Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26885Likes

post #4381 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Goddard View Post
I have a question that I have been searching here and with the owners manual..Maybe I over looked it? Anyway,I have an Epson 6040, Marantz 7010 and an Oppo 203...with that said, How do I switch HDR modes on my 6040?.. I would like to go from HDR1 to HDR2 to see the difference in picture quality..Or is HDR encoded on the disc your watching and can't be change?..A little confused here..Thanks in advance for your help..
When watching a UHD source go into Menu, Signal menu, Advanced, Dynamic Range, and choose your HDR selection. I find that I prefer HDR1 for most 4K Blu-rays since it is the brightest.
Adrienn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
HDMI port 2 certainly can handle 4K. Just not HDCP 2.2
Does the HDMI port 2 accept a 4k signal with a hdcp 1.4? The issue I have is that I have an HDMI cable in the wall that is 2.0 but not hdcp 2.2 capable (it is 1.4) I can get a converter to convert the hdcp 2.2 signal coming out of my reciever, to hdcp 1.4 before it connects to my in wall hdmi 2.0 hdcp 1.4. The converter is designed to allow for 4k information through, but will the 5040ub non hdcp 2.2 port accept the 4k 60mhz 10bit information at the hdcp 1.4 level? Will there be any quality loss in converting from hdcp 2.2 to 1.4 and using the hdmi port2?

thanks !
post #4383 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
So I got my pro to accept 2k hdr, but man it was super dark and dim. Like I was lookin at a screen blanketed by smoke, just dark. Anyone ever experience that before?
Yes. You know to change the projector's HDR option from all the prior people posting that very common observation. There are even people like me that provided an extensive listing of parameters to configure your projector in order to get a brighter picture. Just follow any of those and you will get better performance.

So, you are saying that your "purple Screen" was no longer purple when you cabled around the AVR or was there something else that fixed the purple screen like perhaps putting in the proper settings into the AVR , correct?

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by swyda038 View Post
Does both HDMI ports on the 5040ub accept a 4k signal? The issue I have is that I have an HDMI cable in the wall that is 2.0 but not hdcp 2.2 capable (it is 1.4) I can get a converter to convert the hdcp 2.2 signal coming out of my reciever, to hdcp 1.4 before it connects to my in wall hdmi 2.0 hdcp 1.4, while still allowing the 4k information through, but will the 5040ub non hdcp 2.2 port accept the 4k information at the hdcp 1.4 level? If not, will the hdcp 2.2 port accept a hdcp 1.4 4k signal?

thanks everyone!
Your description makes it sound like you may not understand what you are asking about. Once you convert something to a lower parameter, you are basically "stuck" with that lower parameter. You can't simply transcode a 2.2 signal into a 1.4 for transport across the wire and then on the other end trasncode it back to 2.2.

The Epson has two HDMI in ports. One is 2.2 and you can connect that to a cable and a device that supports 2.2. Of course it can also accept the lower resolution 1.4 HDMI signal but that lower resolution signal can't carry 4K so if 4K is your objective you will need to replace the cable with a compliant 4K version.

The second port is the lower speed and is not designed to transport 4K and no amount of gyrations will change that
schmidtwi likes this.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #4385 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Yes. You know to change the projector's HDR option from all the prior people posting that very common observation. There are even people like me that provided an extensive listing of parameters to configure your projector in order to get a brighter picture. Just follow any of those and you will get better performance.

So, you are saying that your "purple Screen" was no longer purple when you cabled around the AVR or was there something else that fixed the purple screen like perhaps putting in the proper settings into the AVR , correct?
Yea it was my receiver that had the wrong conversion settings and it let the hdr pass thru once I changed that.

If you could link or point me to where you have parameters to increase the brightness for hdr that would be great, would about fix all my issues. Thanks again for some suggestions and what with this
post #4386 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I received my Oppo 203 4k player today and paired it with my Epson 5040UB. I bought a "high end" Monoprice 40' HDMI that swore up and down it handled HMDI 2.2 up to 100'. Well, long story short, it doesn't. Just to be sure it was the Monoprice HDMI, I hooked up the Oppo directly to the HDMI 2.2 port using the Oppo HDMI cable, and sure enough it was the Monoprice cable.

Now for the really disappointing part. I compared side by side images of a 4k disc and a regular blu ray disc of the same movie, and the blu ray disc BY FAR had a brighter, more vibrant image. I played with the settings for a while and got it better, but now the blacks are lacking and the colors and whites still pop more from the blu ray. After 2 hours of tinkering, the regular blu ray image is still quite superior the the 4k image.

I know it's a setting of some sort, can anyone give me any advice where to start?
post #4387 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Your description makes it sound like you may not understand what you are asking about. Once you convert something to a lower parameter, you are basically "stuck" with that lower parameter. You can't simply transcode a 2.2 signal into a 1.4 for transport across the wire and then on the other end trasncode it back to 2.2.

The Epson has two HDMI in ports. One is 2.2 and you can connect that to a cable and a device that supports 2.2. Of course it can also accept the lower resolution 1.4 HDMI signal but that lower resolution signal can't carry 4K so if 4K is your objective you will need to replace the cable with a compliant 4K version.

The second port is the lower speed and is not designed to transport 4K and no amount of gyrations will change that
Wrong. HDMI 1.4 CAN transmit 4K resolution.
covsound1 likes this.
post #4388 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post
I received my Oppo 203 4k player today and paired it with my Epson 5040UB. I bought a "high end" Monoprice 40' HDMI that swore up and down it handled HMDI 2.2 up to 100'. Well, long story short, it doesn't. Just to be sure it was the Monoprice HDMI, I hooked up the Oppo directly to the HDMI 2.2 port using the Oppo HDMI cable, and sure enough it was the Monoprice cable.

Now for the really disappointing part. I compared side by side images of a 4k disc and a regular blu ray disc of the same movie, and the blu ray disc BY FAR had a brighter, more vibrant image. I played with the settings for a while and got it better, but now the blacks are lacking and the colors and whites still pop more from the blu ray. After 2 hours of tinkering, the regular blu ray image is still quite superior the the 4k image.

I know it's a setting of some sort, can anyone give me any advice where to start?

I would try setting the Oppo to strip HDR.
post #4389 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Does both HDMI ports on the 5040ub accept a 4k signal? The issue I have is that I have an HDMI cable in the wall that is 2.0 but not hdcp 2.2 capable (it is 1.4) I can get a converter to convert the hdcp 2.2 signal coming out of my reciever, to hdcp 1.4 before it connects to my in wall hdmi 2.0 hdcp 1.4, while still allowing the 4k information through, but will the 5040ub non hdcp 2.2 port accept the 4k information at the hdcp 1.4 level? If not, will the hdcp 2.2 port accept a hdcp 1.4 4k signal?

thanks everyone!
This is an interesting scenario. I have not seen anyone trying such a method with a HDCP 2.2=>1.4 converter yet.
I'm sure there are people doing it in places I don't read, but I just haven't seen any yet.

I know that the last generation of Oppo players (the BDP105D and BDP-103D) could upscale lower resolutions to 4K, and then send signals over the HDMI 1.4 out at 4K/50/60 4:2:0.
I have used that method on a secondary setup and the 4K showed nicely on a HDCP 2.2 compliant 4K tv.
However I have not tried it on the Epson and never thought to even try it on the HDMI-2 input since I already had the abilities for 4K on the HDMI-1 input.
I may be able to try this sometime soon to see if the 4K resolution is maintained for the HDMI-2 input on the Epson. I suspect that it will be fine, but I am curious what it looks like and a few other details. However I am quite busy until after the holiday, so no guarantees until next week. Then again my curiosity may get the best of me and I may make time to try it today, lol.
post #4390 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
This is an interesting scenario. I have not seen anyone trying such a method with a HDCP 2.2=>1.4 converter yet.
I'm sure there are people doing it in places I don't read, but I just haven't seen any yet.

I know that the last generation of Oppo players (the BDP105D and BDP-103D) could upscale lower resolutions to 4K, and then send signals over the HDMI 1.4 out at 4K/50/60 4:2:0.
I have used that method on a secondary setup and the 4K showed nicely on a HDCP 2.2 compliant 4K tv.
However I have not tried it on the Epson and never thought to even try it on the HDMI-2 input since I already had the abilities for 4K on the HDMI-1 input.
I may be able to try this sometime soon to see if the 4K resolution is maintained for the HDMI-2 input on the Epson. I suspect that it will be fine, but I am curious what it looks like and a few other details. However I am quite busy until after the holiday, so no guarantees until next week. Then again my curiosity may get the best of me and I may make time to try it today, lol.
Thanks for your interest in this and feedback. I am trying to avoid having to re-fish a new hdmi cable that is hdcp 2.2 through the walls and having to re-drywall and paint. My current hdmi cable is 2.0 and can handle 4k UHD resolution 60mhz, etc. but doesn't have the hdcp capability 2.2. The converter I was looking at was an HD Fury Integral which seems like it can transfer the 4k signal and simply decodes the 2.2 into 1.4, but I wasn't sure if that could work with the Epson 5040ub HDMI inputs and still provide the 4k image quality. If not, I will just bite the bullet and re-fish a new hdmi cable.
post #4391 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I was wondering if anyone has been able to access the ISF calibration controls on 6040.
I would be really interested to see what they would bring beyond the existing settings. May be 20 point grey scale adjustment and some other goodies..
post #4392 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Thanks for your interest in this and feedback. I am trying to avoid having to re-fish a new hdmi cable that is hdcp 2.2 through the walls and having to re-drywall and paint. My current hdmi cable is 2.0 and can handle 4k UHD resolution 60mhz, etc. but doesn't have the hdcp capability 2.2. The converter I was looking at was an HD Fury Integral which seems like it can transfer the 4k signal and simply decodes the 2.2 into 1.4, but I wasn't sure if that could work with the Epson 5040ub HDMI inputs and still provide the 4k image quality. If not, I will just bite the bullet and re-fish a new hdmi cable.
I'm pretty sure the cables will work just fine and it's the hdmi ports themselves that allow transferring additional data through the cables. I could be wrong but I've been using the same hdmi cable for about 5 years now and it works fine between 2.2 enabled devices including my oppo 203 and 6040.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #4393 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post

Digital Cinema mode default HDR 1. Don't base your opinion off of one blu ray/UHD. Some UHD movies are not that great.

Also understand that brighter doesn't' always mean better. HDR improves shadow detail, and improves color vibrancy as well as black levels.

It took me awhile to appreciate the difference, and to process what I was seeing.

I suggest you watch a few different 4k UHD discs first.

if you want to see the difference in color accuracy and detail the opening of Everest really is amazing. It almost looks like video on the 4k disc. on the pan of Everest notice the variety of colors, browns and greys in the rocks vs the Blu Ray.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4394 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

thanks everyone!
HDMI 2 will accept 4K, but HDMI 1 will not if it is not HDCP2.2, IIRC.
post #4395 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any way of saving a 'blanking' setting with a saved lens position?

Last edited by therecanbeonly1; 12-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #4396 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Any other Panamorph users?

I've got a UH440 lens and notice Panamorph touts the current two lens choices as "4K compatible."

Any other Panamorph users who might know if the UH440 will work with the 5040?
post #4397 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
I've got a UH440 lens and notice Panamorph touts the current two lens choices as "4K compatible."

Any other Panamorph users who might know if the UH440 will work with the 5040?
I doubt that any anamorphic lens would be any more or any less compatible with 4K than it is with any other resolution.
They are likely just saying "4K compatible" as a marketing gimmick to attract new customers with 4K projectors.
I am not intimately familiar with the UH440 and it's aperture, but it's highly likely that it will be just fine with the 5040.
post #4398 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I doubt that any anamorphic lens would be any more or any less compatible with 4K than it is with any other resolution.
They are likely just saying "4K compatible" as a marketing gimmick to attract new customers with 4K projectors.
I am not intimately familiar with the UH440 and it's aperture, but it's highly likely that it will be just fine with the 5040.
Thanks SP! That makes sense.

...now just to figure out if the 5040 will fit on the Panamorph AK6 mounting plate I already own...
post #4399 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Cables are about bandwidth, and really aren't specifically related to resolution/HDCP/HDR etc...
It just happens to be that 4K @ 60Hz with 4:4:4 is going to require the most bandwidth to travel through a cable,
so potentially you need to have a cable that can transport those signals.

My advice would be to try your cable first before buying a HDfury.
There are also other methods too, like I think Monoprice sells a cheaper HDCP 2.2=>1.4 converter,
but I have not used it and do not know any details about it. Maybe the HDfury is a better product if you choose to go that route.

Even if you are able to send something like 4K/4:2:0/8b via HDMI 1.4 to the Epson, you could still probably use the HDMI-1 input.
However nothing is guaranteed these days, and the only way to know for sure is to try it first hand.
Again once I get some time I can try pushing upscaled 4K from my Oppo BDP-105D to the 5040 and see what happens.
post #4400 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecanbeonly1 View Post
Is there any way of saving a 'blanking' setting with a saved lens position?

Nope. Would be nice if they could add it to a FW update though. It does remember blanking settings by source though. Not really a big help though. It's a pain when going back and forth between a 1.78 movie and a scope movie that you've "blanked" due to changing aspect ratio.
post #4401 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Blanking is almost useless anyway. In most cases people use it incorrectly from my experience. And I have read every post in this thread.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4402 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoZip View Post
Had kept up with the first 90some pages...lot of new info/pages since then that I haven't been able to check through all, but did try a search with no help

xBox one (S)...USB hard drive. Trying to play a 3D movie, and I get the split screen on each of them. How do I blend them? My only other 3D display is an LG tv, and I press the 3D button and it brings up images asking "how is the image displayed- split vertically or horizontally" and it's as simple as that.

3D is enabled on xbox...anyone know what I'm missing here?

Thanks!
Under image there is an option for 3D. It's set on automatic. You need to manually switch it to 3D.

Also the 3D option is grayed out if a 4k signal is detected. With my ps4 pro I had to turn 4k off, and then play the 3D files from plex.
post #4403 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Blanking is almost useless anyway. In most cases people use it incorrectly from my experience. And I have read every post in this thread.
In what way, please elaborate.
post #4404 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Quote:

thanks everyone!
I don't think the issue is whether your cable is hdcp 1.4 or 2.2 capable. There is no hdcp capability for a cable. The only capability is the bit rate.. And most often, cables like yours would work just fine. Why not try it? I am assuming that the 4k capable cables need to be certified for 18+ gbps..
ps: i just saw the post by smarty pants. He is right. it is just about band width.. Your cable will probably work just fine.
post #4405 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecanbeonly1 View Post
In what way, please elaborate.

Quickly searching for Blanking on this thread will give you all the details. Or I can do the search and paste in here for you. But I'd rather not.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4406 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Nope. My opinion is don't bother! Use a regular 1080p non 4K converting player and let the Epson do the upconversion. It looks very very good and in some cases can look superb.

Also this way you gain the ability to use frame interpolation should you decide to use that. I use it for concert blurays and action sports blurays.

And don't forget you can also use the Darbee DVP5000S to get more detail out of it on top of the Epson 4K eShift. So for the first time in human history you can have your cake and eat it too.
Or double dip lol
post #4407 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am getting really bad 3D ghosting on some content. 3D looks great on Guardians of the Galaxy, but lots of ghosting on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Any way to tweak or improve 3D performance?
post #4408 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Has anyone seriously considered designing a hush box for these projectors? Setting the power consumption to the High setting really gives 3D blu-rays the extra punch they need, but the fan noise is deafening. I don't have any 4K material yet, but could that also help brighten up HDR content?

I haven't noticed any ghosting or other issues with 3D using the default 3D settings. Are there any particular scenes in Harry Potter that seemed worse than others?

By the way, I tried the 3ACTIVE glasses and found them to work well, but they don't fit very well over my glasses. I found the XPAND glasses, available at Best Buy for $39.99 fit perfectly and work at least as well as the 3ACTIVE glasses.
post #4409 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
And don't forget you can also use the Darbee DVP5000S to get more detail out of it on top of the Epson 4K eShift. So for the first time in human history you can have your cake and eat it too.
Or double dip lol
Just got my 5040 today and playing with it now.

I have basically out the box settings.

I only changed the auto iris to normal, power to eco, FI to low, and 4K enhancement to 3. Then have my Oppo 103d darbee setting to high def 35%.

I cannot believe the picture over my Benq w1070. You see so much more detail and contrast.

Last edited by bluer101; 12-23-2016 at 09:00 PM.
post #4410 of 17660 Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

It's not useless when you have a scope screen and don't want to be annoyed by movies that change aspect ratios like TDK or others shot with some IMAX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page