Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26884Likes

post #4441 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey guys,

Finished setting up my 3 new components. Epson 5040UBE, Marantz 7702mkll and Oppo 203 bluray player. Here is what is happening and I am not sure exactly where to start. I have checked and re-checked all cables.

No matter what I am watching, cable TV or a bluray, I get intermittent drop outs off my Epson. I do have a long run using a Key Digital and cat cable, approx. 60 feet.

I was watching the Denver game and the picture and sound dropped out off and on. It will run good for say 20 minutes, than it kind of glitches and the screen goes black for a second or 2, than right back to normal. It might do it a few times in a row on and off. Than it stays on for 20 minutes.

I am going to try using my Sony 55 inch 4K TV which is in the set up also to see if it drops out also. I am going to also try the wireless today.

Thanks again.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlvi3 View Post
Hey guys,

Finished setting up my 3 new components. Epson 5040UBE, Marantz 7702mkll and Oppo 203 bluray player. Here is what is happening and I am not sure exactly where to start. I have checked and re-checked all cables.

No matter what I am watching, cable TV or a bluray, I get intermittent drop outs off my Epson. I do have a long run using a Key Digital and cat cable, approx. 60 feet.

I was watching the Denver game and the picture and sound dropped out off and on. It will run good for say 20 minutes, than it kind of glitches and the screen goes black for a second or 2, than right back to normal. It might do it a few times in a row on and off. Than it stays on for 20 minutes.

I am going to try using my Sony 55 inch 4K TV which is in the set up also to see if it drops out also. I am going to also try the wireless today.

Thanks again.
If you got UBE, why are you even trying the 60' cable.
Connect wirelessly and see if that solves the problem.
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #4443 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
If you got UBE, why are you even trying the 60' cable.
Connect wirelessly and see if that solves the problem.
I was hoping not to but because of my long run I could fall back on wireless. Can I run one of my HDMI outputs on the Marantz 7702 into the wireless Epson transmitter and will it be able to output all of the inputs on the Marantz?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4444 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Why even bother with an interlaced signal AT ALL? Just change the the Sat receivers ouput to 720p as that is the same volume of content as 1080i

That is SO not true! 1080i has the same spatial resolution as 1080p. It's just split into two separate fields rather than one full frame but when properly deinterlaced it is exactly the same as 1080p.

1080i has far more picture information than 720p. Just ask Comcast customers who've had their systems switched over from most all native 1080i channels being switched to 720p (along with their conversion to mpeg4). There are many, many reports of how bad it looks. They've compared old recorded shows at 1080i to the newer 720p ones and it's easy to see the loss in resolution.

I started a huge thread on this issue over at tivocommunityforum.com

Quote:
I was hoping not to but because of my long run I could fall back on wireless. Can I run one of my HDMI outputs on the Marantz 7702 into the wireless Epson transmitter and will it be able to output all of the inputs on the Marantz?

Yes that will work.
schmidtwi likes this.
post #4445 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My ube will drop the signal when I switch over to the roku and sometimes when a youtube starts. It gets it back in a few seconds but it's quite annoying drop out every time I switch
post #4446 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey, Im thinking about getting this projector, but there are a few things i have not been able to find... hopefully some owners could help me out.

1) what is the max refresh rate when displaying 1080p video? Epsons website does not have any info on the supported refresh rates for different resolutions, and the only images i have seen online of info screens show 29.9hz

2) is there noticeable delay on the automatic / dynamic iris? im worried the screen will noticeably flick darker during dark scenes.

3) has the issues mentioned in the beginning of the thread in regard to color space been fixed? im planning on using a media pc with an rx 480 which should be able to push 4:4:4 @ 4k60 with YCbCr 10 bit, still not sure if the 480 can do rec. 2020, or if thats 10 bit rec 709 (if anyone knows if the 1060 v rx480 is better in this regard... let me know!). regardless of what gpu i go with, i want to make sure that this projector would work with a media PC and not just one brand of bluray player.

Thanks!

Last edited by motsu; 12-26-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: adding clarity
post #4447 of 17660 Old 12-26-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
Also understand that brighter doesn't' always mean better. HDR improves shadow detail, and improves color vibrancy as well as black levels.

It took me awhile to appreciate the difference, and to process what I was seeing.
I have to agree here after watching a couple of UHD disks.
Now I am liking the way HDR gives that depth. I could watch X-Men even in Cinema mode (with lens iris at -5)

Caution : Don't start with "The Martian". That movie will depress you in the HDR department, because it's bit dark to begin with.
Oledurt likes this.
post #4448 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Does anyone know if there is documentation on discrete IR codes for the 5040? I'm looking to activate specific custom memory slots (not lens memory) while changing sources with a Harmony remote. I can program a macro to an unused button to do this after switching inputs but this isn't a very elegant solution for the family.
post #4449 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
Does anyone know if there is documentation on discrete IR codes for the 5040? I'm looking to activate specific custom memory slots (not lens memory) while changing sources with a Harmony remote. I can program a macro to an unused button to do this after switching inputs but this isn't a very elegant solution for the family.

I asked Epson about IR codes just this week, and here is the reply I received: "The following IR Codes are not going to be available for your projector but the information or link below should help resolve the issue.

https://files.support.epson.com/Epson_Handbook/assets/content/proddetails/download/pdf/ESCVP21_e_P.pdf
"

They also sent the attached spreadsheet. I then asked if that meant discrete infrared codes do not exist for many of the commands available in the sub menus of the 6040 and can only be directly commanded by using the ESC/VP21 protocol.

Here is the Epson response to that: "That is correct, there are no direct links/codes to the sub-menus. The Esc VP-21 guide that is attached also applies to setup and command control for home theater".

I'm clueless on how to use the ESC VP-21 protocol. I did a search in the Remote Control area of the forum, but pretty much came up empty. Can anyone provide any links to information on how to control Epson projectors using this protocol. like a beginner's guide? Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: zip ESCVP21 command guide (HOME)_Rev.C.xlsx.zip (927.7 KB, 234 views)
post #4450 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post
If you go to Amazon and search for "Epson 5040ub mount," it's the first mount that shows up - "Epson 5040UB Projector Mount with optional extension pole by Vega A/V Systems." Currently selling for $49.95.

I bought one of these mounts. Installation is a snap so far, but it only comes with 4 washers - where are these supposed to be used? I can see needing washers for where the mount connects to the projector, but they were packaged with the allen wrench, which leads me to believe that they are supposed to be used with the allen bolts (where you mount the upper half of the mount with the lower half of the mount)...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chuck
post #4451 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Ordered a hdfury integral and linker. Gonna see what I can get from my Xbox one s
post #4452 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
I'm clueless on how to use the ESC VP-21 protocol. I did a search in the Remote Control area of the forum, but pretty much came up empty. Can anyone provide any links to information on how to control Epson projectors using this protocol. like a beginner's guide?
From a quick glance at the document it's a serial protocol so it would require another device, like a computer, to send the codes to the projector. I also didn't see any reference to the 5040 product line in that document but it could be fairly generic to all Epson projectors. Even then, I don't see a code in there for accessing a discrete memory slot.
post #4453 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
From a quick glance at the document it's a serial protocol so it would require another device, like a computer, to send the codes to the projector. I also didn't see any reference to the 5040 product line in that document but it could be fairly generic to all Epson projectors. Even then, I don't see a code in there for accessing a discrete memory slot.
The TW9300 is the Europeon version of the 5040. See row 156 of the TW9300 tab of the spreadsheet posted earlier. That command function is named "Call of Memory".

Like I said previously, I have no clue where to start to get this to work. I have a computer available, but I don't know how to get IR/RF commands from my Harmony remote to the computer and then how to get the computer to understand those commands and then relay them to the projector.

Maybe we should keep this thread on topic and start a new thread in the Remote Control area about RS232 control of Epson projectors.
post #4454 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
The TW9300 is the Europeon version of the 5040. See row 156 of the TW9300 tab of the spreadsheet posted earlier. That command function is named "Call of Memory".

Like I said previously, I have no clue where to start to get this to work. I have a computer available, but I don't know how to get IR/RF commands from my Harmony remote to the computer and then how to get the computer to understand those commands and then relay them to the projector.

Maybe we should keep this thread on topic and start a new thread in the Remote Control area about RS232 control of Epson projectors.

These codes are for network control, like iRule. I'm going to add the 5040 to my iRule setup soon and will be playing with these.
post #4455 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Is the 6040 the only version that supports anamorphic lenses (with squeeze/stretch)? Paying a lot more just for that feature if so, otherwise I'd pick up a 5040 now.

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #4456 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
LENS MEMORY RECALL EPSON RESPONSE AND SOLUTION

All, important update here from Epson today regarding the inaccurate lens memory recall that we have been experiencing. Here is a copy paste of their response. Please read in detail...

The gist of it is, you should move your lens shift in One Direction only, and never step back for final adjustments. I have yet to test this.
-----------------

Sorry for our late reply on this matter, we were checking with our engineers.

Here is the reply from the engineers on this matter;

We have done the test of lens shift position memory in the QC process on multiple units.
The recalled position accuracy of the units tested were each within spec.

SEC engineers confirmed that the shift amount between recalled position and original position is within 5.5 mm or less as actual measurement value.

There is a possibility of bad accuracy caused by the procedure for fitting in the screen when customers memorizes the different positions.

As a precaution, when you fit the display position to the screen, you should avoid moving the lens shift in the opposite direction.
Please refer to the attached file named “Epson PC 4040-6040UB HC 5040UB-5040UBe Lens shift position memory.pdf" for a better explanation, and try to use this method when setting lens memory positions.

If you move the lens shift "step by step" to opposite direction for fine-tuning, the moving amount will not be counted correctly by sensor. As a result, a memorized position will be shifted from target, and the bad accuracy of recalled position occurs.
This is caused by a factor coming from the mechanical structure and the position monitoring method by sensor.

Unfortunately, SEC hasn't been able to find a better solution for accuracy improvement.

Thank you again for your patience in this matter.
We hope this helps!
Spoiler!
This is good explanation.
I just realized one thing though, how do you move to "Default" position. With the steps explained here, to go to your first lens position, one should start from default position (the way it came from factory). Because it is retaining the position co-ordinates in relation to the current position and that current is nothing but the factory default position.
I am not at my projector right now, else would have checked. But I may have missed if there was a button click to move it to it's original position.
Does anyone know?
post #4457 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

I had the same question. But I then figured it doesn't really need to be defaulted prior to setting your desired position.

Just move it well away from your final intended position. Then move the image in ONE direction only vertically. And then in ONE direction horizontally. Make sure more than 10 clicks are needed. Done.
Dave Harper and Oledurt like this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4458 of 17660 Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

You might be able to use something like the Global Cache to "capture" IR signals and then use it's RS232 interface to send a signal to the computer. From there you could condition the response and then send an IP command to the projector... forget it. Not realy worth it, right? LOL

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #4459 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post
Is the 6040 the only version that supports anamorphic lenses (with squeeze/stretch)? Paying a lot more just for that feature if so, otherwise I'd pick up a 5040 now.
That is apparently true, but I've also got an A-lens and am planning to use the BD203 for vertical stretch.
post #4460 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
That is apparently true, but I've also got an A-lens and am planning to use the BD203 for vertical stretch.
Well ,that makes the decision a lot more interesting.

I have a Sim2 HT380 with lens and it throws a beautiful picture. It's about 8 years old now, I have to imagine the Epson 5040/6040 is better, but I'm not sure if I should make the switch.

Do you think the BD203 will squeeze as well as the projector would?

Thanks!
ELmO

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"

Last edited by elmalloc; 12-28-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #4461 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I had the same question. But I then figured it doesn't really need to be defaulted prior to setting your desired position.

Just move it well away from your final intended position. Then move the image in ONE direction only vertically. And then in ONE direction horizontally. Make sure more than 10 clicks are needed. Done.
OK. Thanks.
Wonder how it maintains the reference.
post #4462 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44

Hi guys. I'm doing an awful lot of head scratching here...

I recently bought a Sony 940D with Panasonic ub900 and my wife is bugging me to return the Sony and go with the 5040ube

We watched a few movies on Christmas and she was very unimpressed with the 75" screen size. She is used to our older Epson tw1000 (I know, it's very ancient & low end) and 100" screen. On the other hand, I'm more impressed with the clarity of the 940D.

The room I'd use for projection is just a living room in a condo, with blinds and curtains blocking most of the light. Viewing would be done mostly at night anyhow, so not much chance of ambient lighting, other than a little nearby kitchen light-bleed.

My dilemma is: forgetting my obsession with tech specs, which is going to provide a better cinema experience? Especially with the 4k UHD format I've been chasing and now have with my Panny/Sony setup.

I was toying with the idea of keeping using my spare Sony 65x850C if I need any day time viewing, but that gets awkward because I'd be using a a fixed projector screen and the 65" Sony can't occupy the same space.

I'm really asking for some of your opinions and would greatly appreciate any feedback :-)
post #4463 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One can never go smaller. Go larger!
post #4464 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. That's exactly how I'm setup. Denon receiver has 4 HDMI input sources (Tivo Bolt, XB1, PS4, gaming PC) and one output to the wireless transmitter. So far I've been very pleased with the wireless setup. Yes, switching sources, resolutions, and refresh rate takes a bit longer, but once it's connected I've not experienced any drop outs or obvious latency issues, and I've done quite a bit of gaming where I'd expect to have noticed latency.

Granted, my transmitter is on a shelf about 12' from and directly in front of the projector. Projector always reports 100% signal. It's very sensitive to obstruction, though, given the frequency its using. If I stick my hand in the line of sight, I can watch the signal strength reduce significantly and can even cause drop outs.
post #4465 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Question, I have a nice silver ticket fixed screen... But if I ever wanted to go larger I'd most like have to get a pull down for how this room is setup. But I hate how they aren't fixed, or are they fairly firm, who uses a pull down?
post #4466 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Question, I have a nice silver ticket fixed screen... But if I ever wanted to go larger I'd most like have to get a pull down for how this room is setup. But I hate how they aren't fixed, or are they fairly firm, who uses a pull down?
I have a 100" electric elite screen.
post #4467 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I have a 100" electric elite screen.
How do you like it, and what model is it? I was looking at some of their tab tensioned motorized screens in the 500 dollar range. From most of the reviews online it seems like a great screen.

Can you manually stop the screen before it gets all the way down? I would love to gettoh something up for wide screen movies while still owning a 16:9 screen
post #4468 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
So saw some more crosstalk than my 5030ub. I found by adjusting the 3d brightness to LOW and turning the lamp to high greatly reduces the crosstalk. I adjusted lamp brightness to high to compensate and use dynamic. image is MUCH clearer. Also turned the interpolation to low which helped. Even when setting screen to 120" (which adjusts the 3d depth), I have little crosstalk.
post #4469 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson 3 View Post

I recently bought a Sony 940D with Panasonic ub900 and my wife is bugging me to return the Sony and go with the 5040ube

We watched a few movies on Christmas and she was very unimpressed with the 75" screen size. She is used to our older Epson tw1000 (I know, it's very ancient & low end) and 100" screen. On the other hand, I'm more impressed with the clarity of the 940D.

The room I'd use for projection is just a living room in a condo, with blinds and curtains blocking most of the light. Viewing would be done mostly at night anyhow, so not much chance of ambient lighting, other than a little nearby kitchen light-bleed.

My dilemma is: forgetting my obsession with tech specs, which is going to provide a better cinema experience? Especially with the 4k UHD format I've been chasing and now have with my Panny/Sony setup.

I was toying with the idea of keeping using my spare Sony 65x850C if I need any day time viewing, but that gets awkward because I'd be using a a fixed projector screen and the 65" Sony can't occupy the same space.

I'm really asking for some of your opinions and would greatly appreciate any feedback :-)
As long as you don't have any plans to play game consoles on the 5040, you really SHOULD go back to a projector for movies. The 5040 will do an AMAZING job with that 100" screen and should even be bright enough for daytime viewing as well.

I have a powered 120" screen that I drop in front of the 55" LED that is in the room if you are curious about what others do in these situations

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #4470 of 17660 Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson 3 View Post

Mike, there are many, many people here and elsewhere who are extremely excited and pleased with their 5040/6040 setups. And, there's something to be said about scale....bigger screen creates a more immersive experience. Also, as opposed to the comment above, many people are extremely happy with gaming on it too. There are some problems with getting HDR gaming from the newer consoles, but as a whole, gaming is supposed to be very good on the Epson....

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page