Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26901Likes

post #4561 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I don't have blacks clipping with superwhite set to on...

Brightness and contrast are set at 50 with me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielvm View Post
I don't have blacks clipping with superwhite set to on...

Brightness and contrast are set at 50 with me...
If I have HDMI video range set to normal & Super White turned on and then open the black clipping patterned on the AVS 709 HD test pattern disk no matter how high I turn the brightness no bars will appear above level 16 (Reference Black). Just like my picture.

Which makes setting the brightness impossible.
post #4563 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 AM

I'll check how this is displayed with me later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Looking for a device that can stream apps in HDR

Hello,

I'm relatively new to here but thought I'd ask if anyone know of any device that can stream apps (Amazon, Netflix, Youtube etc) video in HDR to my Epson 5040UBE ?

I'm not so much interested in Bluray 4K/HDR but more so just streaming.

Right now I have a Roku Ultra and although the picture in 4K is tremendous I really want to see what the 4K/HDR looks like.

Thanks,
Glenn
post #4565 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 05:02 AM

Liked: 6
Also looking for calibration settings

If anyone can steer me to a site or has some professional calibrations settings that would be great.
john barlow and Adrienn like this.
post #4566 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
Thanks, went and picked it up today and installed it a little bit ago. I think I am good to go for awhile now and am going to sit back and enjoy the 4040 for the next few years..very happy with it. Its my first projector purchase.
Nice looking theater there. You build that yourself? My hats off to the designer and builder. I have a medium sized 2nd floor HT that I built before we moved into our house. The only piece of equipment from that 2010 build is the Stewart 130" Cinemascope screen. Third projector and all new electronics + extra subwoofer rounded me out. I have to be torn kicking and screaming every night to shut down the family theater.
bigboar likes this.
post #4567 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Rubin View Post
If anyone can steer me to a site or has some professional calibrations settings that would be great.
Ditto!
post #4568 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
Nice looking theater there. You build that yourself? My hats off to the designer and builder. I have a medium sized 2nd floor HT that I built before we moved into our house. The only piece of equipment from that 2010 build is the Stewart 130" Cinemascope screen. Third projector and all new electronics + extra subwoofer rounded me out. I have to be torn kicking and screaming every night to shut down the family theater.
thanks John! I did. the whole thing started when i bought one of the vivitek h1186 projectors. Long story short, its still sitting upstairs new in the box...
john barlow likes this.
post #4569 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
If I have HDMI video range set to normal & Super White turned on and then open the black clipping patterned on the AVS 709 HD test pattern disk no matter how high I turn the brightness no bars will appear above level 16 (Reference Black). Just like my picture.

when using clipping patterns to set your Brightness and Contrast controls, please do the following

1. Set HDMI range to Auto
2. Set Super white to On
3. Adjust your brightness and contrast controls using appropriate patterns
4. Now you can choose to leave HDMI range to Auto (as long as your source is using Limited/Normal for all video content) or change it to "Normal"
5. Super white can be left "On" if you want to see the rare WTW content that appear once in a blue moon
post #4570 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
when using clipping patterns to set your Brightness and Contrast controls, please do the following

2. Set Super white to On
4. Now you can choose to leave HDMI range to Auto (as long as your source is using Limited/Normal for all video content) or change it to "Normal"
5. Super white can be left "On" if you want to see the rare WTW content that appear once in a blue moon
Ok but how do I know I have set the brightness level correctly?

As when Auto/normal is enabled I cant see above reference black (level 16) because the epson is clipping it.

How do I know I have the correct brightness level?
post #4571 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 06:57 AM

Just tried, raising the brigthness above 50 makes the bars below 16 visible...
post #4572 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just tried, raising the brigthness above 50 makes the bars below 16 visible...
This is not the case for me when HDMI Video Range is on normal/auto mode.
post #4573 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 07:26 AM

Do you start in the "normal" setting?
post #4574 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you start in the "normal" setting?
Tried both Normal & Auto both do the same.

I found this in another thread and it is exactly what happens with mine.

1) HDMI Normal, Super White Off: HDMI will not pass blacker than black (levels 1-15) and whiter than white (levels 236-255) is clipped at the default Contrast setting of 0.

2) HDMI Normal, Super White On: HDMI will not pass blacker than black, but will pass whiter than white all the way to 255 with Contrast at 0.

3) HDMI Extended, (Super White grayed out): HDMI will pass blacker than black with Brightness at 0, requiring brightness to be calibrated down to compensate, and will pass whiter than white to its limit with Contrast at 0.
post #4575 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 AM

I mean the color mode...
post #4576 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I mean the color mode...
Using Natural for SDR.
post #4577 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 AM

Strange, same here...

Could it be your mediaplayer who is sending out the wrong signal then?
post #4578 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 292
For me, using a PS4 as player, the only way to get the calibration correct for brightness and contrast (btb, wtw) was to have hdmi auto and Super White OFF.

IN FACT Super White ON made the blacks (and any dark scene for that matter) completely unwatchable. So superwhite ON for me was a no no.

I I am thinking that based on the account of several posters here, the correct settings on the Epson may depend on your specific player.
ndabunka likes this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4579 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok but how do I know I have set the brightness level correctly?

As when Auto/normal is enabled I cant see above reference black (level 16) because the epson is clipping it.

How do I know I have the correct brightness level?
Your source may be sending only limited.
I (and many others) do see the BTB either in Auto or Expanded
post #4580 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1) HDMI Normal, Super White Off: HDMI will not pass blacker than black (levels 1-15) and whiter than white (levels 236-255) is clipped at the default Contrast setting of 0.

2) HDMI Normal, Super White On: HDMI will not pass blacker than black, but will pass whiter than white all the way to 255 with Contrast at 0.

3) HDMI Extended, (Super White grayed out): HDMI will pass blacker than black with Brightness at 0, requiring brightness to be calibrated down to compensate, and will pass whiter than white to its limit with Contrast at 0.
Default contrast (or brightness or anything else) is not 0, it's 50
Also note HDMI expanded and Superwhite can not be used together. One grey's out when other is selected.
post #4581 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

What are the output settings on your bluray player and which product are you using. If it's a normal bluray player then it should be sending normal. If it's a XboxOne, Playstation or a computer then it may be trying to send Extended which is why you may be seeing what you are seeing on the projector. If you have an AVR in-line between the source bluray and the projector, it too could be complicating the equation (or not)

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #4582 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
So just to confirm before doing calibration I should set HDMI video range to "Normal" and Epson Super White turned on?

It's just that even when Epson Super White is enabled you still cant see above video black with the black clipping pattern.

Yes that's what I would set it to.

Quote:

You keep saying you can't see the blacks "above level 16". I think that's what is screwing people up too because it's not clipping levels ABOVE 16, you should be saying it's clipping blacks BELOW digital level 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

2. Set Super white to On

This is good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
For me, using a PS4 as player, the only way to get the calibration correct for brightness and contrast (btb, wtw) was to have hdmi auto and Super White OFF.

IN FACT Super White ON made the blacks (and any dark scene for that matter) completely unwatchable. So superwhite ON for me was a no no.

I I am thinking that based on the account of several posters here, the correct settings on the Epson may depend on your specific player.

This makes me think I recall reading that someone reported that the Epson, when Super White was turned on, would drop the whole range from 16-255 down to like 0-240 or some such BS. Maybe this is what's happening?

I agree this is extremely source dependent and any one of many possibilities and variables between source and display can whack this mole into a messed up state. And there's always that ONE brand and model device that screwed up and is sending the wrong signal for its setting too! This used to be much more of an issue than it is now though. Early DVD players were the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
What are the output settings on your bluray player and which product are you using. If it's a normal bluray player then it should be sending normal. If it's a XboxOne, Playstation or a computer then it may be trying to send Extended which is why you may be seeing what you are seeing on the projector. If you have an AVR in-line between the source bluray and the projector, it too could be complicating the equation (or not)

iirc, he's using a Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray and a Lumagen video processor. Maybe his Lumagen has an incorrect setting? Good call on the AVR, that could certainly be clipping blacks as well.
post #4583 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I have a panny UB700 but I also have a Sony BDP-S5500 I have tried both with the same results.

I have looked through both players menus and am unable to find a way to change the output levels so I am presuming they are video only.

I used the Sony player with my previous projector (HW55ES) and using the AVS patterns a I could see all levels when cranking the levels up or down low we looking at the respective picture control.

I decided to use normal with super white enabled and then used the AVS black clipping pattern by turning the brightness down until I could just barley see level 15. With super white on the white clipping pattern works as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes that's what I would set it to.

You keep saying you can't see the blacks "above level 16". I think that's what is screwing people up too because it's not clipping levels ABOVE 16, you should be saying it's clipping blacks BELOW digital level 16.

This is good advice.

This makes me think I recall reading that someone reported that the Epson, when Super White was turned on, would drop the whole range from 16-255 down to like 0-240 or some such BS. Maybe this is what's happening?

I agree this is extremely source dependent and any one of many possibilities and variables between source and display can whack this mole into a messed up state. And there's always that ONE brand and model device that screwed up and is sending the wrong signal for its setting too! This used to be much more of an issue than it is now though. Early DVD players were the worst!

iirc, he's using a Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray and a Lumagen video processor. Maybe his Lumagen has an incorrect setting? Good call on the AVR, that could certainly be clipping blacks as well.
I also thought my lumagen was causing this so I decided to bypass it but it made no difference. Also there is no AVR in the video chain.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 12-31-2016 at 02:37 PM.
post #4584 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM

Oh that's right, it's a Panasonic UB700, not 900. I have the 900, so I'll have to check mine. Do you have another calibration disc or Bluray with patterns to set white and black levels, like DVE, Disney Wow, Spears and Munsil or Bluray with THX (Optimizer) or from Sony Pictures (hit 7669, spells Sony, at main menu)?

Sounds like we need to brainstorm the settings on the Epson to see what could be up. I no longer have the 5040, so I may be out at this point.

It seems to be a head scratcher, but I'm sure it's something obvious we're missing.
post #4585 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Oh that's right, it's a Panasonic UB700, not 900. I have the 900, so I'll have to check mine. Do you have another calibration disc or Bluray with patterns to set white and black levels, like DVE, Disney Wow, Spears and Munsil or Bluray with THX (Optimizer) or from Sony Pictures (hit 7669, spells Sony, at main menu)?

Sounds like we need to brainstorm the settings on the Epson to see what could be up. I no longer have the 5040, so I may be out at this point.

It seems to be a head scratcher, but I'm sure it's something obvious we're missing.
I tried the DVE brightness pattern and its the same as the AVS one.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #4586 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I tried the DVE brightness pattern and its the same as the AVS one.

What is this setting in your UB700 set to? This is where you can set it to RGB Standard (Normal) or Enhanced (Expanded). YCbCr doesn't offer that option. Try them all and report back.

post #4587 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
To look at hdr images with the wider color gamut bt2020, you should use the cinema or digital cinema mode. You'll hear a filter coming in front of the light pad enabeling a wider gamut. For hdr, Lots of people manually change the hdr2 mode to hdr1. This gives an overall brighter image, bit clips a lot of higher regions

I've tried and tested a lot of settings. Peronally i prefer upping the brightnes to about 60 and leave the hdr mode to automatic (2). With hdr I set the epson superwhite to "off". These two settings don't clip as much white as the hdr1 mode, but gives an overall bright and nice picture imo.
Thanks neilvm, been pouring over this forum today and going to try to mess with the HDR setting as well as Gamma when I get home. Hopefully better results.
post #4588 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Rubin View Post
Hello,

I'm relatively new to here but thought I'd ask if anyone know of any device that can stream apps (Amazon, Netflix, Youtube etc) video in HDR to my Epson 5040UBE ?

I'm not so much interested in Bluray 4K/HDR but more so just streaming.

Right now I have a Roku Ultra and although the picture in 4K is tremendous I really want to see what the 4K/HDR looks like.

Thanks,
Glenn
The Roku Ultra does HDR. I don't think you'll find a better streaming solution as of now.
post #4589 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
The Roku Ultra does HDR. I don't think you'll find a better streaming solution as of now.
Should the Roku Premiere + do HDR as well?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #4590 of 17697 Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Should the Roku Premiere + do HDR as well?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yes, that one works as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page