Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26890Likes

post #4651 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I also just happened to have watch Lucy last night as well. The only thing I do differently is that I bump up the brightness to 60 and the contrast to 54. Leave the Gamma alone at defualt of 0. I can't recall if I have super white on or off but agree with the clean room-type scenes being well represented. However, my "pay attention" scenes were the ones with the wide variety of colors as she went from time period to time period. Stunning!
When it's in HDR mode, it already adds the required contrast. You do not need to bump it.
To test, just bring up the white clipping pattern from AVSHD709 (or any other similar disk), now manually switch between SDR and HDR and you will see.
If you don't have the test disk at hand, just start any bluray movie and try switching between SDR and HDR and you will se the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
I know that you are not supposed to see below 16 but the point of the pattern is to ascertain the correct brightness setting.

If you can't see levels 16 or below how do you know the brightness control is set correctly?

You can't see the bars flashing to indicate the control is set to high which makes it very hard to set correctly.

I apologise if I incorrectly referred to contrast instead of brightness.
My sincerest apologies.
It has been so long since I used a numbered pluge pattern, I got the numbers mixed up.
Normally I use a pattern that has 4 bars in the middle and a checkerboard pattern on the sides and no numbers on the screen.
Your goal is to see 18 and above, (NOT 16). It's also ok if you can even see a smidge of 17 fading in, but you don't want to see the
full brightness of 17, however you do want to see the full brightness of 18.
So if you see 17 and 18, you should be able to calibrate with that, now that you know the right numbers.
post #4653 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
When it's in HDR mode, it already adds the required contrast. You do not need to bump it.
To test, just bring up the white clipping pattern from AVSHD709 (or any other similar disk), now manually switch between SDR and HDR and you will see.
If you don't have the test disk at hand, just start any bluray movie and try switching between SDR and HDR and you will se the difference.
It looks like you are fine with me bumping up the brightness setting but have an issue with me also bumping the contrast. I did this in my HT because (to me) it looks better with just that slight bump.

I posted in this thread months ago settings that I recommended. Others eventually followed. I was actually the 2nd person to post my settings as I was responding to another who asked what settings others used. Lots of others have also contributed their recommendations so there are lots of people out there with lots of opinions. It doesn't make them any more right or wrong than others. My particular projector & room configuration may well warrant this bump. Others may do better with a reduction in contrast. Individual projectors may well warrant slightly different settings based on the projector itself, the room, etc.

I was simply agreeing that Lucy was good content and mentioned my changes to make it pop. I was not making ANY calibration recommendations. I ws just saying what helps in my case.

Minor correction - my contrast is @ 52 for UHD HDR movies, not 54. As a point of reference, it is at 48 for SDR content

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-02-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltonj View Post
Potentially dumb observation: projector info shows input information. I don't see output information which would be nice to see input 1080p and 4k out with enhancement on. Guess the projector doesn't upconvert the signal per se.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The projector ALWAYS outputs 1080p.
Remember it is not a true 4K display. It is a native 1080p display and uses eShift to make it look like 4K.
For incoming 4K signals, it converts that to 1080p and then uses eShift to make it look like 4K.
For incoming signals that are less than 1080p, again they will be (up)converted to 1080p.

So when you see what is coming in, that is telling what is being converted to the native (1080p) resolution
of the display, and again the output is always the same according to what settings you have implemented in the settings menu.
Some things can change like color gamut depending on what you send the projector, it will display the best colors sent.
IE: BT.2020 for UHD Blu-ray, BT:709 for HD Blu-ray, and BT.601 for DVD.

It kind of would be nice if there were extended info showing exactly what was being displayed,
but there really wouldn't be too much info there aside from color gamut, color space, and other various settings you have set in the settings menu, and most of those settings are usually set_it_and_forget_it type settings that most people don't change often.
chiltonj likes this.
post #4655 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanerator View Post

I had pretty much decided on the Epson 6040, but I am now reading ..... lots of owners complaining about ghosting on 3d (one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade my projector was to get 3d capable) and the dreaded green dust blobs.
The 3D is great. I am one who was concerned at first but a simple settings change fixed the blurriness. Well made 3D flicks look absolutely amazing on this projector.

Also I'm not aware the dust blobs are super common. But Epson has a great warranty program (fast replacements if ever needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanerator View Post
....but UHD HDR could go the way of 3d and SACD as a stepping stone to some new technology rather than a destination. 3d may be superseded by VR just as SACD has been superseded by blu-ray lossless audio and audio formats like Atmos and DTS:X ( if the music industry would wake up and embrace them).

Not to get too far off topic here but people will certainly produce VR movies and other content. But I think your concern is not warranted that VR will somehow replace 3D in cinema. 3D will retain the full support of the studios for as long as people buy tickets to see it. And if they sell tickets they will also sell 3D blu-rays. VR is inherently a single person experience (online multi player gaming notwithstanding) and better suited for gaming, and education. I guess my point is that this is one technology you can take off your list of being worried about going away in a couple of years. (In my opinion)

AVR | Yamaha RX-A3050 // Projection | Epson 5040UB // Speakers | Fluance XL series (7) SVS Subs (.2) Origin C62 (.4)
post #4656 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
It looks like you are fine with me bumping up the brightness setting but have an issue with me also bumping the contrast and somehow think what I was doing was related to SDR. It was not. I did this in my HT because (to me) it looks better with just that slight bump.

I posted in this thread months ago settings that I recommended. Others eventually followed. I was actually the 2nd person to post my settings as I was responding to another who asked what settings others used. Lots of others have also contributed their recommendations so there are lots of people out there with lots of opinions. It doesn't make them any more right or wrong than others. My particular projector & room configuration may well warrant this bump. Others may do better with a reduction in contrast. Individual projectors may well warrant slightly different settings based on the projector itself, the room, etc.

I was simply agreeing that Lucy was good content and mentioned my changes to make it pop. I was not making ANY calibration recommendations. I ws just saying what helps in my case.

Minor correction - my contrast is @ 52 for UHD HDR movies, not 54. As a point of reference, it is at 48 for SDR content
I only pointed out that the HDR mode itself adds the additional contrast.
But you got emotional..
BTW, for the record, I have no issues what setting you use in your room for SDR or HDR.
post #4657 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post
The 3D is great. I am one who was concerned at first but a simple settings change fixed the blurriness. Well made 3D flicks look absolutely amazing on this projector.

Also I'm not aware the dust blobs are super common. But Epson has a great warranty program (fast replacements if ever needed).

Not to get too far off topic here but people will certainly produce VR movies and other content. But I think your concern is not warranted that VR will somehow replace 3D in cinema. 3D will retain the full support of the studios for as long as people buy tickets to see it. And if they sell tickets they will also sell 3D blu-rays. VR is inherently a single person experience (online multi player gaming notwithstanding) and better suited for gaming, and education. I guess my point is that this is one technology you can take off your list of being worried about going away in a couple of years. (In my opinion)
Can you post those 3D settings?
post #4658 of 17677 Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Can you post those 3D settings?

Not sure how to link to a specific post on the mobile app but just search this thread for the query "3D Brightness". See my post from 12/6/2016 where I respond to and confirm some of Caveman2000's findings.
ndabunka likes this.

AVR | Yamaha RX-A3050 // Projection | Epson 5040UB // Speakers | Fluance XL series (7) SVS Subs (.2) Origin C62 (.4)
post #4659 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Hi there !

I've also been tweaking and playing a all lot of HDR movie and I also start enjoying it !

But here is my point of view which is quite different :

1 - It needs to work in eco mode : because this one is dead silent and I want my PJ to be dead silent
2 - It need to work with all HDR movies not only bright ones (yes Lucy or Xmen or Kingsmen... ) but also darker ones : The Revanant, Batman V Superman...
3 - I hate having clipped whites and you get a lot of them with HDR 1 mode - just look at some skies in deadpool or the chapter two of Pacific Rim when they build the wall, the skies are clipped

What I wanted to achieve :
- get an average brightness level a little under the one I get with the Panasonic HDR --> SDR conversion
- get enough headroom to get a good HDR effect.
- have a good lisibility in dark areas
- have enough punch to say : whaouh and not think about the SDR version anymore

My setings :

Mode Natural
HDR 1
Epson super white ON : that avoid the white clipping inherent to HDR 1
Contrast 50
Brightness 50
Color 55 (to compensate custom gamma curve)
Eco mode
Iris 0
Auto Iris Normal
Custom Gamma Curve : that's what bringing the magic back to me. Gamma + 2 was bringing brightness but to the expense of greyed blacks and dull image. So I made a custom gamma curve that keeps a good contrast ratio, great low light visibility and global image punch.
I d'ont have a picture of the final gamma curve but it looks like this : I just lowered the values 3 steps down from this image for my final setting.(exept first and last one that remain default)

It may look extreme I d'ont know what the axis value is but this is actually not brighter than Gamma +2 it has the same mid range punch but without the hight black levels of gamma +2 (the graph seems to use another scale...)

It was great for the movies I've whatched so far (Star Treck, Star Trek into Darkness, Deadpool, Pacific Rim, Kingsmen, Batman V superman, The Revenant and Mad Max Fury Road).

I've automated the HDR mode change and memory bank change with my Harmony Remote, I have a specific HDR Movie activity, so there is no hassle any more doing all this.
VETDRMS likes this.

Last edited by achanonier; 01-04-2017 at 05:26 AM.
post #4660 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
For incoming 4K signals, it converts that to 1080p and then uses eShift to make it look like 4K.
I believe it isn't quite that simple, so how about a minor modification:

For incoming 4k signals, it creates two slightly different overlapping 1080p sub-frames from each frame and then uses 4k enhancement and persistence of vision to make the final human-observed image look more like 4k.
For non-4k signals it can upscale and apply the above processing if 4k enhancement is ON.

With a 4k input I don't think you can turn 4k enhancement OFF, it has to do it to handle a 4k input. If it was simply downscaling to 1080p first I would have expected the 4k enhancement to be optional.
post #4661 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post

Thanks, Stecchino.
post #4662 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achanonier View Post
1 - It needs to work in eco mode : because this one is dead silent and I want my PJ to be dead silent
I use only Eco mode in HDR or SDR

Quote:
2 - It need to work with all HDR movies not only bright ones (yes Lucy or Xmen or Kingsmen... ) but also darker ones : The Revanant, Batman V Superman...
I will check those movies out at some point. I guess we can add "The Martian" in it as well.

Quote:
3 - I hate having clipped whites and you get a lot of them with HDR 1 mode - just look at some skies in deadpool or the chapter two of Pacific Rim when they build the wall, the skies are clipped
Good point. I never really looked for the clipping while watching.

Quote:
My setings :

HDR 1
Contrast 50
Brightness 50
Eco mode
Iris 0
Auto Iris Normal
Custom Gamma Curve : that's what bringing the magic back to me. Gamma + 2 was bringing brightness but to the expense of greyed blacks and dull image. So I made a custom gamma curve that keeps a good contrast ratio, great low light visibility and global image punch.
I d'ont have a picture of the final gamma curve but it looks like this : I just lowered the values 3 steps down from this image for my final setting.(exept first and last one that remain default)
That Gamma looks almost extreme. I would say w/o measurements it would be hard.
I am waiting for @mascior (Ryan's) HDR10 patterns to be available as .iso to be burned. Once they are available, I will be able to measure and arrive at better settings.
covsound1 likes this.
post #4663 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I use only Eco mode in HDR or SDR

I will check those movies out at some point. I guess we can add "The Martian" in it as well.

Good point. I never really looked for the clipping while watching.

That Gamma looks almost extreme. I would say w/o measurements it would be hard.
I am waiting for @mascior (Ryan's) HDR10 patterns to be available as .iso to be burned. Once they are available, I will be able to measure and arrive at better settings.
like the fact you are the first to post an attempt. this is what i have talked about when i said epson will allow a custom gamma just like what comes fixed in the jvc. your setting look over the top but i will give them a shot and take a look. mine are less extreme as i dont go pass 4+ in the mid range but i drop low level to 2- and i dont touch high level. this gives me a mid range punch with deep blacks and some clipped whites. if i want to see detail in white i just turn on super white. i too also like eco mode and have no need for the others. had to put down the phillips player for the panny the other day because it allows adjustments to get that last bit of control.also the dynamic control puts it in a class by it self. i will post some of my setting later.i have calman but just need more time with it to learn the in and outs of hdr and sdr 2020.on some movies i can get a picture looks 3d like depth .
post #4664 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Hi there !

I've also been tweaking and playing a all lot of HDR movie and I also start enjoying it !

My setings :
HDR 1
Contrast 50
Brightness 50
Eco mode
Iris 0
Auto Iris Normal
Thanks for your details.

I also run almost exclusively in ECO mode but will change to Medium mode for the darker UHD disks

I did go back to investigate if I had super white on or off and I can now confirm that I also have it turned ON. Turning Super White off does raise the brightness level but as you mentioned, it also crushes the whites and it looks like you and I have discovered.

I have a higher brighteness with a Gamma left at zero. Thanks for your custom gamma curve. I will experiment with mine to better understand if replicating something like yours will benefit my set up.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-03-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #4665 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quick Question.

Can you remove the feet from the epson 5040 ub? I am close to buying the projector but only have 7.5" in height for the space where the projector is going. The dimensions listed on epson website is 7.6" with the feet and 6.7" without.

Thanks!
post #4666 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

It needs to work in eco mode : because this one is dead silent and I want my PJ to be dead silent

Hey, if you don't like the noise, just build a hush box!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6040 Hush Box 1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1871153   Click image for larger version

Name:	6040 Hush Box 2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1871169   Click image for larger version

Name:	6040 Hush Box 3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1871185  
Stecchino and Adrienn like this.
post #4667 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
...For incoming 4K signals, it converts that to 1080p and then uses eShift to make it look like 4K.
For incoming signals that are less than 1080p, again they will be (up)converted to 1080p.

So when you see what is coming in, that is telling what is being converted to the native (1080p) resolution
of the display, and again the output is always the same according to what settings you have implemented in the settings menu.
Some things can change like color gamut depending on what you send the projector, it will display the best colors sent.
IE: BT.2020 for UHD Blu-ray, BT:709 for HD Blu-ray, and BT.601 for DVD.
Ok, this got my attention. I'm about to upgrade to the 5040ub, and I'm running older equipment in between my 4k sources and the projector (non-4k/1.4 HDMI receiver, HDbaseT extender).

Are you saying aside from the color gamut, I wouldn't benefit from upgrading my equipment to HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 for my 4k picture since the 5040ub down converts a 4k signal anyways? It doesn't use the 4k/extra pixel information?

I don't want to upgrade a perfectly good receiver if possible. I know the color gamut change isn't a superficial upgrade, but if I can keep the old receiver/HDbaseT extender... well, that buys me a captivator 1400! haha.

Thanks

Video: Epson 5040ub, 120" Seymour AT screen
Audio:Onkyo TX-RZ730, 3x Outlaw 2200, Outlaw 5000, Monoprice Unity 200w, miniDSP
Speakers: 2x JBL Studio 230, JBL Studio 235c, 8x JBL Studio 220. Subs: 2x HSU ULS-15 MK I
post #4668 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post
Ok, this got my attention. I'm about to upgrade to the 5040ub, and I'm running older equipment in between my 4k sources and the projector (non-4k/1.4 HDMI receiver, HDbaseT extender).

Are you saying aside from the color gamut, I wouldn't benefit from upgrading my equipment to HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 for my 4k picture since the 5040ub down converts a 4k signal anyways? It doesn't use the 4k/extra pixel information?

I don't want to upgrade a perfectly good receiver if possible. I know the color gamut change isn't a superficial upgrade, but if I can keep the old receiver/HDbaseT extender... well, that buys me a captivator 1400! haha.

Thanks
There is no specific answer as to yes or no. It is very dependent on your specific equipment, what the content is,
how the feed is coming in, etc...
For the most part, when it comes to something like UHD Blu-ray, you have 3 significant differences from standard Blu-ray...
The resolution, the color gamut, and HDR. IMO the resolution is the least significant change.
You probably won't see much difference (if any) when downconverting 4K to 2K while retaining the other two,
or even when dropping HDR as well. The WCG is the best part of it IMO.
If you want my advice on your situation, I would say to get the 5040 first, try it with your current gear and see what it's like.
Remember most UHD players also offer 2 HDMI outputs so you can send audio direct to your legacy gear,
and then send the video directly to your display.
However this is also where your "other 4K sources" come into play and how you also get those to the display.
Again I would say just try the projector first and then go from there if you aren't in a big hurry.
4K/UHD is still VERY MUCH A WORK IN PROGRESS no matter what source or device or stream you are using,
so again IMO, taking your time isn't a bad thing.
post #4669 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
...There is no specific answer as to yes or no. ...
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm making this upgrade from a 3020 to a 5040ub almost exclusively for 4k gaming (better lag, better blacks, better throw for a smaller gaming screen) though I do a ton of movie watching where the 3020 is acceptable as is. I have a regular Blu-ray player, Roku premiere, DirecTV and ShieldTV. If the WCG is *the* most important upgrade in terms of picture quality it may be worthy of upgrading the middlemen anyways. I don't want to have to ask my wife for money to upgrade twice, thus the 'let me resolve this now' attitude.

Appreciate the info. Anything you have to add would be helpful. I'm sitting 10' from a 120" screen.

Thanks!

Video: Epson 5040ub, 120" Seymour AT screen
Audio:Onkyo TX-RZ730, 3x Outlaw 2200, Outlaw 5000, Monoprice Unity 200w, miniDSP
Speakers: 2x JBL Studio 230, JBL Studio 235c, 8x JBL Studio 220. Subs: 2x HSU ULS-15 MK I
post #4670 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How is everyone finding the image uniformity on this projector? Is it really much improved over previous UB models? Every LCD or LCoS projector I have owned has shown color tinting in portions of a white or near white image, to varying degrees. I'm thinking of purchasing a 5040UB but since I watch a lot of black and white movies image uniformity is very important to me. I would love to go with DLP for this reason alone but am far too sensitive to RBE for it to be a solution.

I have also noticed this model has a Color Uniformity adjustment feature. Has anyone felt the need to use this and if so what were the results? Is this something that could help with tinting issues or is it more for general brightness uniformity?
post #4671 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm making this upgrade from a 3020 to a 5040ub almost exclusively for 4k gaming (better lag, better blacks, better throw for a smaller gaming screen) though I do a ton of movie watching where the 3020 is acceptable as is. I have a regular Blu-ray player, Roku premiere, DirecTV and ShieldTV. If the WCG is *the* most important upgrade in terms of picture quality it may be worthy of upgrading the middlemen anyways. I don't want to have to ask my wife for money to upgrade twice, thus the 'let me resolve this now' attitude.

Appreciate the info. Anything you have to add would be helpful. I'm sitting 10' from a 120" screen.

Thanks!
I upgraded from the 3020 to the 6040ub. You won't believe your eyes, especially while watching a movie.
post #4672 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post
I have also noticed this model has a Color Uniformity adjustment feature. Has anyone felt the need to use this and if so what were the results? Is this something that could help with tinting issues or is it more for general brightness uniformity?
I am not sure how useful that feature would be, because it is not color mode specific nor can be saved in the memory. Once you set it, it applies to all modes. Now that will help one (or more) but may as well hurt other modes.
post #4673 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post

That cannot be good for picture quality.
ndabunka likes this.
post #4674 of 17677 Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
I believe it isn't quite that simple, so how about a minor modification:

For incoming 4k signals, it creates two slightly different overlapping 1080p sub-frames from each frame and then uses 4k enhancement and persistence of vision to make the final human-observed image look more like 4k.
For non-4k signals it can upscale and apply the above processing if 4k enhancement is ON.

With a 4k input I don't think you can turn 4k enhancement OFF, it has to do it to handle a 4k input. If it was simply downscaling to 1080p first I would have expected the 4k enhancement to be optional.
This is incorrect. I confirmed this with Epson support.

All 4k content is downscaled to 1080p and then 4k enhancement is applied the same way as it would have been if the signal had already been 1080p. None of the additional 4k data is used to create the extra pixels, only the resulting downscaled image. The projector does not upscale anything to 4k.

I do agree that it is odd that you cannot disable 4k enhancement when the signal is 4k, which is why I enquired with support.

I have been experimenting with downscaling UHD discs to 1080p but retaining 2020 and HDR. I have been unable to discern any difference.
post #4675 of 17677 Old 01-04-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
What about the cooling in your setup ?

Here is mine but if I close the front all the heat will stay inside...
By the way the box is full lenght

post #4676 of 17677 Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabit View Post

All 4k content is downscaled to 1080p and then 4k enhancement is applied the same way as it would have been if the signal had already been 1080p. None of the additional 4k data is used to create the extra pixels, only the resulting downscaled image. The projector does not upscale anything to 4k.

I do agree that it is odd that you cannot disable 4k enhancement when the signal is 4k, which is why I enquired with support.

I have been experimenting with downscaling UHD discs to 1080p but retaining 2020 and HDR. I have been unable to discern any difference.
Disappointing - it seems like a wasted opportunity.
My UHD source (AFTV4K for Amazon and Netflix) is reduced to 8-bit 4.2.0 for unknown handshaking reasons, my potential UHD source (SkyQ satellite box) is locked to 2160/50p so would also end up as 8-bit due to bandwidth. So the only benefit from UHD from those sources is the resolution, and that's downscaled.

I get no WCG or HDR from those sources so no advantage there.

Edited to add - it seems my understanding of Epson's processing was based on the assumption that it was like JVC's e-Shift. That does subsample a UHD frame to produce the pair of offset 1080 frames.

Last edited by rjguk; 01-04-2017 at 02:12 AM.
post #4677 of 17677 Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
Disappointing - it seems like a wasted opportunity.
My UHD source (AFTV4K for Amazon and Netflix) is reduced to 8-bit 4.2.0 for unknown handshaking reasons, my potential UHD source (SkyQ satellite box) is locked to 2160/50p so would also end up as 8-bit due to bandwidth. So the only benefit from UHD from those sources is the resolution, and that's downscaled.

I get no WCG or HDR from those sources so no advantage there.

Edited to add - it seems my understanding of Epson's processing was based on the assumption that it was like JVC's e-Shift. That does subsample a UHD frame to produce the pair of offset 1080 frames.
And I'm sure that's what it does actually!
Either the guys from support don't know what they're talking about or they just meant that at the end yes te PJ displays a 1080p frame so yes it downscales but why would the two 1080p picture be the same ?

Maybe be its hard to see on a movie but I can assure you with PS4 pro that the menus, texts ans so on are much more detailled in 4k than in 1080p with 4k enhancement ON.
post #4678 of 17677 Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 AM

Here are some 4k HDR shots with my custom gamma curve.
The Smartphone pciture don't do justice to the real image but it can give an idea !

post #4679 of 17677 Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
What about the cooling in your setup ?

Here is mine but if I close the front all the heat will stay inside...
By the way the box is full lenght
I'm really just experimenting. The top and back are completely open except for three pieces of dense foam that are resting on the projector. There is 3.5" of clearance to the ceiling and 2" on each side of the projector. During operation, the outlet side (right side looking from the front) is warm, but the inlet side stays cool.

No discernible impact on picture quality.
post #4680 of 17677 Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabit View Post

If this is true, it removes it from my list of possible choices for me. It would certainly explain the easily seen detail differences I saw between the 5040 and the Sony VW350ES. Very sad.

Does anyone know if the laser models like the LS10500 do this as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page