Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26901Likes

post #4681 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by achanonier View Post
Here are some 4k HDR shots with my custom gamma curve.
The Smartphone pciture don't do justice to the real image but it can give an idea !

achanonier, can you tell me what devices you're using and all the calibration settings on your projector? I want to try and replicate this, it looks tremendous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Rubin View Post
achanonier, can you tell me what devices you're using and all the calibration settings on your projector? I want to try and replicate this, it looks tremendous!

Hi Glenn

Thx for your comment, I'm very happy with the picture I get !

This is my Panasonic UB700 direct to the Epson TW9300 (6040 here).
The settings are posted a few posts above on the previous page !
schmidtwi and Adrienn like this.
post #4683 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Hi Glenn

Thx for your comment, I'm very happy with the picture I get !

This is my Panasonic UB700 direct to the Epson TW9300 (6040 here).
The settings are posted a few posts above on the previous page !

hi

very impressive pictures.
can you post a picture of your final Gamma curve please ?

best regard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4684 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabit View Post
This is incorrect. I confirmed this with Epson support.

All 4k content is downscaled to 1080p and then 4k enhancement is applied the same way as it would have been if the signal had already been 1080p. None of the additional 4k data is used to create the extra pixels, only the resulting downscaled image. The projector does not upscale anything to 4k.

I do agree that it is odd that you cannot disable 4k enhancement when the signal is 4k, which is why I enquired with support.

I have been experimenting with downscaling UHD discs to 1080p but retaining 2020 and HDR. I have been unable to discern any difference.
Interesting. I was curious about viewing output information because my AVR processes/upscales content to 4K. So, I see 4K as the input into the Epson.
With this comment, the Epson takes an up converted signal and then down scales and then enhances to 4K? I'll have to check tonight to see if 4K enhancement is on when I upscale via AVR.
For now, I'm passing the original signal through my AVR and letting Epson do whatever it does. Not sure if that's the right approach but the PQ looks the same to me either way from the AVR (processing or direct).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #4685 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

All 4k content is downscaled to 1080p and then 4k enhancement is applied the same way as it would have been if the signal had already been 1080p. None of the additional 4k data is used to create the extra pixels, only the resulting downscaled image. The projector does not upscale anything to 4k.

I do agree that it is odd that you cannot disable 4k enhancement when the signal is 4k, which is why I enquired with support.

I have been experimenting with downscaling UHD discs to 1080p but retaining 2020 and HDR. I have been unable to discern any difference.

This is absolutely and categorically INCORRECT information from Epson Support. I assure you 4K content is sampled into 2 distinct 1080p images per frame, and displayed offset from each other to give you double amount of pixels. Each of the 2 images contain different information effectively giving you twice the image information compared to 1080p. (Although not 4 times as true 4K would).

Your support contact was misinformed.

Recently I posted extensive analysis with screenshots comparing Lucy 1080p with eShift vs Lucy UHD with eShift. The difference was noticeable and commensurate with a double resolution enhancement. No doubt about this. Screenshots were done with closeup shots of details. It was unarguable.

Hope this helps.
seplant, ayrton, rjguk and 9 others like this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #4686 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thank you gnolivos, faith being restored after that little setback
post #4687 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin_iori View Post
hi

very impressive pictures.
can you post a picture of your final Gamma curve please ?

best regard
Sure I will take a picture tonight !
shin_iori likes this.
post #4688 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Sure I will take a picture tonight !
Thanks a lot.

have you make an special Setup for PS4 PRO HDR game ? ( xbox ons S to )
post #4689 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Are these settings everyone is giving for 4k blu-rays or std,or does it matter.
post #4690 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
Are these settings everyone is giving for 4k blu-rays or std,or does it matter.
These are for HDR content only!
post #4691 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Thxs,I'm staying with std blu-rays for now uhd later this yr.

Last edited by dholmes54; 01-04-2017 at 07:49 AM.
post #4692 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I do believe there is some difference. The 4k enhancement is significally more quiet when feeding a 4k signal. When feeding a 1080p signal, the projector produces an annoying noise imo.

Don't know if there is a difference in image quality, but I think it does something different with 4k and 1080p.
post #4693 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
What about the cooling in your setup ?

Here is mine but if I close the front all the heat will stay inside...
By the way the box is full lenght

I will have a very similar setup with the front being completely open (as you have it) as well as the backside. Quick question, with the front being open, is this enough to cool the projector even if the top and bottom are very tight, or do you need a minimum space around the entire projector? Also, do you know if the feet can come off of the projector? I may need to remove the feet to gain more clearance around mine once I receive it.
Thanks!
post #4694 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
For those who are using the 5040UBE wireless:

I have been scratching my head around this one for a few weeks.
I have the 5040UBE and using the wireless HDMI and have a 9.2 surround system. Ever since I connected and started using the wireless hdmi I hear a very high pitched whining sound coming out of all of my speakers. I have done dozens of test to figure out what is causing it.
For example when I turn on the unit and the Sony PS4 and once they connect, I start hearing the sound. When I log in to my account on PS4 the high pitch goes away momentarily while the screen is blank then when PS4 menu comes up the high pitch comes back. When I choose a game to play (Star Wars Battlefront) and PS4 goes black/blank while it's loading the pitch goes away and once the game loads the high pitch comes back. This happens when watching anything (Cable, XOBX, tv, movies, etc.). It is EXTREMELY annoying and is giving me a headache (being that I am running 9 Klipsch speakers, the subs don't get the sound, at least I haven't gone close enough to the them to notice).

All components are connected to a monster 2500 power center. I tried plugging the wireless transmitter to a different outlet on an adjacent wall and still have the same issue once the wireless hdmi reconnects.
The only temporary way I was able to solve this was to use a ground lift since its a 3-prong and that took the noise away. But not sure if that a good longer term solution. I know someone else has to have this issue.

Any technical experts have any idea what's causing this and the best way to address it?
post #4695 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
For those who are using the 5040UBE wireless:

I have been scratching my head around this one for a few weeks.
I have the 5040UBE and using the wireless HDMI and have a 9.2 surround system. Ever since I connected and started using the wireless hdmi I hear a very high pitched whining sound coming out of all of my speakers. I have done dozens of test to figure out what is causing it.
For example when I turn on the unit and the Sony PS4 and once they connect, I start hearing the sound. When I log in to my account on PS4 the high pitch goes away momentarily while the screen is blank then when PS4 menu comes up the high pitch comes back. When I choose a game to play (Star Wars Battlefront) and PS4 goes black/blank while it's loading the pitch goes away and once the game loads the high pitch comes back. This happens when watching anything (Cable, XOBX, tv, movies, etc.). It is EXTREMELY annoying and is giving me a headache (being that I am running 9 Klipsch speakers, the subs don't get the sound, at least I haven't gone close enough to the them to notice).

All components are connected to a monster 2500 power center. I tried plugging the wireless transmitter to a different outlet on an adjacent wall and still have the same issue once the wireless hdmi reconnects.
The only temporary way I was able to solve this was to use a ground lift since its a 3-prong and that took the noise away. But not sure if that a good longer term solution. I know someone else has to have this issue.

Any technical experts have any idea what's causing this and the best way to address it?
I also have the same issue. I connected the wireless transmitter directly in a straight line about 10 feet away and down about 6 feet. It is plugged into my Panamax. All I hear is a high pitch. It changes a bit if I start moving it around. I have not had a chance to play with it yet.

I ordered a 35 foot Celerity HDMI cable coming today. For now I have been running an Audioquest 8 meter HDMI cable with mostly good results. A drop out on UHD movie after an hour.

I can not live with any type of feedback/high pitch like what I experienced. Not sure what is causing it as i have a dedicated circuit to my home theater and no ground loop problems.

Brian
post #4696 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Liked: 46
I am having an issue also with the Ube wireless. My ROKU 4 when trying to play Youtube videos will lose the signal for about 3 seconds while loading the video and then pick it back up. It did this while watching a video on VUDU and has done it with Netflix as well. DirecTV through the Xbox One has never dropped signal once.

Does anyone know what this might be? I am thinking about returning the ROKU, but I don't know what would cause it to lose signal like that every time a video loads.

Anyone with knowledge of this I would really appreciate your help. Thank you

Epson 5040UBe, 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge 7 Screen 1.4 gain with LEDs
Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
Klipsch Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 surround sound
post #4697 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlvi3 View Post
I also have the same issue. I connected the wireless transmitter directly in a straight line about 10 feet away and down about 6 feet. It is plugged into my Panamax. All I hear is a high pitch. It changes a bit if I start moving it around. I have not had a chance to play with it yet.

I ordered a 35 foot Celerity HDMI cable coming today. For now I have been running an Audioquest 8 meter HDMI cable with mostly good results. A drop out on UHD movie after an hour.

I can not live with any type of feedback/high pitch like what I experienced. Not sure what is causing it as i have a dedicated circuit to my home theater and no ground loop problems.

So I am not alone, I have also noticed moving the power to the wireless does affect the high pitch, very odd.
post #4698 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALadder22FF View Post
I am having an issue also with the Ube wireless. My ROKU 4 when trying to play Youtube videos will lose the signal for about 3 seconds while loading the video and then pick it back up. It did this while watching a video on VUDU and has done it with Netflix as well. DirecTV through the Xbox One has never dropped signal once.

Does anyone know what this might be? I am thinking about returning the ROKU, but I don't know what would cause it to lose signal like that every time a video loads.

Anyone with knowledge of this I would really appreciate your help. Thank you
My 5040ube just arrived this afternoon and the Roku Ultra is the very first thing I plugged into the wireless hub. I didn't have any dropouts like you mentioned with either Netflix or VUDU so far. Do you have access to another Roku to see if that's the problem?

(the only 3 seconds of blank screen I got was when switching between 4K and 1080p content)
post #4699 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
So I am not alone, I have also noticed moving the power to the wireless does affect the high pitch, very odd.
Another issue with the wireless is my Optimum TV box will not work at all. No picture. I have a picture with Oppo, Xbox, PS4 but nothing with my cable box.

These are reasons now for me trying a very expensive cable. Fingers crossed.

Brian
post #4700 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson 3 View Post
My 5040ube just arrived this afternoon and the Roku Ultra is the very first thing I plugged into the wireless hub. I didn't have any dropouts like you mentioned with either Netflix or VUDU so far. Do you have access to another Roku to see if that's the problem?

(the only 3 seconds of blank screen I got was when switching between 4K and 1080p content)
That makes me think it's my unit. I just switched out the hdmi cable and still dropping signal. I am returning to best buy in a few hours to try another unit. Thank you for your input
post #4701 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
This is absolutely and categorically INCORRECT information from Epson Support. I assure you 4K content is sampled into 2 distinct 1080p images per frame, and displayed offset from each other to give you double amount of pixels. Each of the 2 images contain different information effectively giving you twice the image information compared to 1080p. (Although not 4 times as true 4K would).

Recently I posted extensive analysis with screenshots comparing Lucy 1080p with eShift vs Lucy UHD with eShift. The difference was noticeable and commensurate with a double resolution enhancement. No doubt about this. Screenshots were done with closeup shots of details. It was unarguable.

Hope this helps.

I recall seeing some postings about a test pattern to confirm this. It was probably in the JVC threads somewhere. I'll have to try to find it again.
post #4702 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Hope this helps.
I've had the Epson 5040 for a month and up until yesterday had not had the opportunity to play a UHD disc. The Oppo 203 arrived at my doorstep 30 hours ago and I am blown away by the 4k emulation. This is a whole new ballgame for us and I would have to surmise the 800 gorilla is HDCP issues and the general disgust it is causing people in our hobby that are just trying to get the best picture possible. It's like jumping through flaming hoops and not getting burned. Not easy to do. I do however realize that a year from now, most issues will be ironed out and I will still be in love with my fauxk system. And now ladies and gentlemen, it's back to the next UHD movie. I'm happy with Oppo and Epson. Believe me I know that this industry is in distress do to HDCP issues and I recommend all players, take a deep breath, learn patience, Yoga and sooner or later your system will be firing on all cylinders. I have no connection to any manufacturer but, I am a fan of both Epson and Oppo for their noted dedication to customer service. That's why I'm not having a breakdown over issues. We'll get this figured out and start enjoying our hobby again, rather than spending all our viewer time in the HD forums. Cheers!
ayrton and McBadden like this.
post #4703 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM

New ROKU 4 did the same thing. drops the signal on youtube as it's loading the video for a few seconds. so frustrating

Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
post #4704 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Rubin View Post

not to rain on anyones parade, but messing with the gamma in this way may look good for some scenes but overall may not be the best.

Really Epson should provide a separate contrast setting for HDR.

That being said it is your projector do what you want.

I find that HDR looks great on this projector and is hands down better than SDR.

I run in bright cinema mode, HDR 1, and I set Epson Super White to on

I than use my Disney Wow Blu ray to set brightness, contrast, and color saturation.

my gamma is set to -1. I find this combination is not overly dark even in dark movies like suicide squad.

The picture I get with HDR, although not as good...Is in the same ball park as my LG OLED.

For a projected image on a 125 inch cinemascope screen I find the picture to be stunning.

To me it is not enough of an improvement to spend $7000 more to get a native 4k projector.

I am very happy with this projector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oledurt; 01-04-2017 at 06:48 PM.
post #4705 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Hope this helps.
I would love to see these pics but can't find them. Do you mind reposting a link? I don't care if it scales it down to 480p if the end result is it looks better.

For what it's worth this is the quote from Epson support:

"Regarding the 4K enhance, the optical engine & video processor does filter out the 4k signal/resolution and only allows the 1080p signal to passthrough, then uses it's processor to apply the pixel shift for the 4k enhancement."
post #4706 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielvm View Post
I do believe there is some difference. The 4k enhancement is significally more quiet when feeding a 4k signal. When feeding a 1080p signal, the projector produces an annoying noise imo.

Don't know if there is a difference in image quality, but I think it does something different with 4k and 1080p.
Interesting, I had not noticed that. While the annoying noise at 1080p is disconcerting, glad to hear there must be some difference.

I had gone back to just feeding all sources at their native resolution, but maybe I will try upscaling to 4K at the player again.
post #4707 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I recall seeing some postings about a test pattern to confirm this. It was probably in the JVC threads somewhere. I'll have to try to find it again.
JVC thread? of course...
Dave Harper likes this.
post #4708 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
I would love to see these pics but can't find them. Do you mind reposting a link? I don't care if it scales it down to 480p if the end result is it looks better.

For what it's worth this is the quote from Epson support:

"Regarding the 4K enhance, the optical engine & video processor does filter out the 4k signal/resolution and only allows the 1080p signal to passthrough, then uses it's processor to apply the pixel shift for the 4k enhancement."

That quote could still mean that it breaks out the 4K signal into two separate 1080p frames to be run through the projector's processing. It doesn't specifically say that it down-converts 4K to 1080p, throwing away pixel info.

Of course, if it was made by Comcast it certainly would down-convert it so they could throw more useless features into the machine.
gnolivos likes this.
post #4709 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM

If anyone is having the same issue as me I fixed it by changing the setting in the ROKU. It allowed me to set it up as 4K UHD HDR, but the picture would drop out when I loaded youtube videos. I changed it to 4K UHD and now no problem at all. I don't really use the HDR so I dont see any problem here.

post #4710 of 17706 Old 01-04-2017, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
not to rain on anyones parade, but messing with the gamma in this way may look good for some scenes but overall may not be the best.

Really Epson should provide a separate contrast setting for HDR.

That being said it is your projector do what you want.

I find that HDR looks great on this projector and is hands down better than SDR.

I run in bright cinema mode, HDR 1, and I set Epson Super White to on

I than use my Disney Wow Blu ray to set brightness, contrast, and color saturation.

my gamma is set to -1. I find this combination is not overly dark even in dark movies like suicide squad.

The picture I get with HDR, although not as good...Is in the same ball park as my LG OLED.

For a projected image on a 125 inch cinemascope screen I find the picture to be stunning.

To me it is not enough of an improvement to spend $7000 more to get a native 4k projector.

I am very happy with this projector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
QUESTION: Since the HDR/SDR setting can not be assigned to different picture/color/memory modes, are you saying that you put the pj on HDR-1 and then calibrate everything for 4K / HDR / 1080p / SDR / etc... all with the HDR-1 mode intact 24/7?
I never thought about doing that, but I wonder if it screws up SDR content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page