Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26960Likes

post #6151 of 18171 Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Nvidia Shield TV 2017 fully updated.

Loss of HDR via Netflix after 1.09 firmware update. The UHD 4k titles are still listed in 4k/24p, but no longer receive HDR no matter what I do.

I do receive HDR via Amazon App, but there are VERY few titles listed in HDR. Amazon doesn't even have big name movies in HDR. Just coral reef documentaries and such, but none the less the HDR is passing through on those few titles at least.

Weird. I was receiving HDR via Netflix with the 1.08 firmware, but no longer.
Can't explain how this relates to firmware but one thing I know for sure is that Netflix will not show HDR at less than 60hz.

Cited in this article:
https://support.roku.com/article/235...g-hdr-content-

Not device specific. Platform specific. I don't think netflix has 24hz HDR streams. I swear other people have had it working though. But I have never been able to get HDR on Netflix on Roku or Shield.

Looking forward to this changing or somebody figuring it out.
elmalloc and covsound1 like this.

Last edited by bigabit; 03-01-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 18171 Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabit View Post
This is awesome info. So you are using Bright Cinema / HDR 1? What about Natural?

He calibrated natural for rec709 blu ray. For HDR it put out less lumens than bright cinema.

Yes I am using Bright Cinema/HDR 1 for UHD. ISF Calibrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6153 of 18171 Old 03-01-2017, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabit View Post
Can't explain how this relates to firmware but one thing I know for sure is that Netflix will not show HDR at less than 60hz.

Cited in this article:
https://support.roku.com/article/235...g-hdr-content-

Not device specific. Platform specific. I don't think netflix has 24hz HDR streams. I swear other people have had it working though. But I have never been able to get HDR on Netflix on Roku or Shield.

Looking forward to this changing or somebody figuring it out.
I for sure had HDR running with Netflix. That indian adam sandler movie was totally feeding HDR.
I updated the Firmware on the projector and then a day later updated the shield to its newest update.

Stopped sending after that.
covsound1 likes this.

CURRENT SETUP:
Sony X940E / Denon AVR-S730h /
NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 / PANASONIC UB820 UHD PLAYER / MAudio BX8a front mains / Klipsch R‑15PM rear left/right / Emotiva C1 center / Polk Audio OWM3 height left/right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 18171 Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Was that Netflix movie in 24Hz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6155 of 18171 Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The best I can get with HDR streaming from the Amazon app on Nvidia Shield 2017 so far.
This is for my particular taste. So far my favorite thing to watch with the epson is animation 1080p 23.98hz. This projector handles SDR BD material the best imo. I did these settings while watching the good dinosaur BD 12bit rec709 from an xbox one. They seem pretty good for HDR streaming too.
Pictures taken with Iphone 7
Gamma 0 Auto Bright

Amazon Video 4k UHD HDR passing through. I'm able to do this with about 3 amazon videos.
screenshot program

image post

image url

image hosting no sign up

Good Dino BD via XBX one Same Settings. Gamma 0 Auto Bright
pic host

gif hosting

host image online
covsound1, ttn333 and bigabit like this.

CURRENT SETUP:
Sony X940E / Denon AVR-S730h /
NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 / PANASONIC UB820 UHD PLAYER / MAudio BX8a front mains / Klipsch R‑15PM rear left/right / Emotiva C1 center / Polk Audio OWM3 height left/right.

Last edited by Evan201; 03-01-2017 at 11:45 PM.
post #6156 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
Follow up.

After some viewing of HDR material I found that I was getting overexposed clipped whites on certain films like Everest. I emailed my calibrator and he came back over last night.

Did a little more testing, and discovered digital cinema just doesn't have the light output. So I suggested bright cinema mode. He tested it and found it had double the light output.

I read on here that you lose the P3 colorspace once you switch out of digital cinema/cinema mode. I can confirm that is not true. The green had more of an error in bright cinema mode vs digital cinema, but the p3 colorspace is still being shown.

He got everything dialed in, and added a custom gamma curve. We tested it on some material and WOW what an amazing picture! The HDR is as bright as I have seen it, and on some scenes it almost can hurt your eyes.

I rewatched Everest last night, and it was stunning no clipping, and great detail. Then I tried a darker movie Suicide Squad, which is also mastered at 4000 nits. It was really awesome. Blacks were still really good but the overall shadow detail, and light floor seemed to be raised. The ending with all the lightning was very bright. Skin tones are nearly perfect now.

I also had him check Natural, but it was not as bright as Bright Cinema. We got over 26 ft lamberts at the screen with Bright Cinema. Which is only around 86 nits. Even though the movies are mastered at 1000 to 4000 nits, my calibrator explained that most HDR highlights in movies average at around 100 nits currently. It is doubtful that projectors will ever be bright enough to do HDR properly, but it still looks really good on the calibrated Epson. Better than SDR, and that is what I was looking for.

So besides the small error to green the other colors calibrated nicely. So in the in end Auto Bright (HDR 1) with Bright Cinema is the way to go. Calibrated Colors, and a custom gamma curve. Super White off, Auto Iris off (user discretion) no super resolution or detail enhancements.

A wonderful calibrated picture...Thanks for reading! The End

I've been playing with digital and bright cinema for HDR, nothing scientific as yet though. I can see that bright cinema has to much colour even though couloir control is 50. I took a guess and am thinking this is why it appears to have the WCG 2020 without the P3 filter.

I'm not a big fan of very bright images from a projector, indeed a television to and the thought of 'almost hurts my eyes' would be a no go for myself. I don't know what Iris setting he's used or contrast setting but with superwhite off it must be incredibly bright!.

I also find digital cinema to have better base black floor which helps in dark scenes.

So what peak White ftl did he set for you ?.

Thanks.
post #6157 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataJunkie View Post
Query for those PS4 Pro owners out there ..

I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn last night on my 6040UB, and have to set my Denon x6300 to '4K' specifically to get it displaying on the projector.

So far so good, 4K output with HDR. The anomaly comes when you are transitioning from standing main Character to a running main Character .. the whole picture shimmers and turns darker before settling into a fluid scene again. Almost as if the HDR & pixel-shift is taking a second to readjust to the change of pace in the scene in Faux-K...

It's hard to describe and I'll try and post a vid later to illustrate ... but I have found that if I reduce the Enhanced Effects to Preset 1 .. the shimmer goes away, not completely - but enough to make it not immediately noticeable.

I've yet to try the game on my Panny Plasma or run at 1080P through the projector ... with the preset set to 3.

So just wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge into Horizon Zero Dawn's world and experienced the same issue? Or any suggestions as to what may be happening?

Thanks,

n
I have it and have not experienced that. Turn off the processing from your AVR. I have the onkyo rz1100 with upscaling turned off. I let the projector handle the 4k upscale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Projector: Epson 5040ub DIY 140" Acoustic Screen
AVR: Onkyo RZ1100 (Main)
Blu-ray: PS4 -- Panasonic UB900
Speakers: 5.2.4 Atmos Sound System
Subwoofers: Dual Marty Cubes w/SI 18" - DIY Build w/SI 15"
post #6158 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Whats the go with Bobby or Billy Lyns halftime walk. Im 5.33 minutes into it. The acting is terrible, the filming is terrible and to top it off its in 16.9. Should I keep watching or end it now? And watch John Wick 4k instead?

elmalloc likes this.
post #6159 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
after 109 update lost ruko 4k 30 frame feature defaults to 60 frame hdr. netflex only plays at 60hz 709 4k. amazon still defaults to 24hz hdr 2020 8 bit on edit 8 from hdfury, vudo also defaults 709 8 bit uhd . looks like the only streaming hdr service will be the amazon app for the epson. the hdr is not a big deal for me but not having bt2020 vudo and fandago sucks!
post #6160 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Harmony Companion & 6040UB

So I bought a Harmony Companion hub & remote just to control the Shield Non-Pro. Works okay turning on my PREAMP & SHIELD but the Epson 6040UB will not turn on no matter what I try. The hub is in Line of Sight (LoS) with the Shield & PREAMP but the projector is not. But even when I connect the IR Emitter to the hub and place it as close as I can, so within LoS of the projector, nothing happens. I even went as far as trying to get the hub to memorize the power off/on from the Epson remote but it will not recognize that remotes command. Anything else I can try to get the Epson to turn on/off with the Harmony?
post #6161 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
I have it and have not experienced that. Turn off the processing from your AVR. I have the onkyo rz1100 with upscaling turned off. I let the projector handle the 4k upscale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
OK .. thanks for this.

I done just that last night .. and curiously .. when I disable the processing on the AVR, the projector only outputs 1080p. Any idea why this might be? Figured if it was a HDMI Cabling issue I'd not get 4K at all. But only with the 4K Processing on set to 4K will the Projector process the signal.
post #6162 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by migsta View Post
So I bought a Harmony Companion hub & remote just to control the Shield Non-Pro. Works okay turning on my PREAMP & SHIELD but the Epson 6040UB will not turn on no matter what I try. The hub is in Line of Sight (LoS) with the Shield & PREAMP but the projector is not. But even when I connect the IR Emitter to the hub and place it as close as I can, so within LoS of the projector, nothing happens. I even went as far as trying to get the hub to memorize the power off/on from the Epson remote but it will not recognize that remotes command. Anything else I can try to get the Epson to turn on/off with the Harmony?
Strange. Something is wrong somewhere. I have the Harmony Hub/remote and the IR from the hub controls my 5040UBe without issue. The Hub is located about 12 feet away directly in front of the projector. My projector is mounted to the ceiling. I have a shelf on the other side of the room at projector height that supports the Hub and my wireless transmitter.
post #6163 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
OK .. thanks for this.

I done just that last night .. and curiously .. when I disable the processing on the AVR, the projector only outputs 1080p. Any idea why this might be? Figured if it was a HDMI Cabling issue I'd not get 4K at all. But only with the 4K Processing on set to 4K will the Projector process the signal.
You may just want to check that image enhancement is ON in the projector settings. Then you can adjust the leves (1,2,3) from there to your preference.

post #6164 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
I've been playing with digital and bright cinema for HDR, nothing scientific as yet though. I can see that bright cinema has to much colour even though couloir control is 50. I took a guess and am thinking this is why it appears to have the WCG 2020 without the P3 filter.

I'm not a big fan of very bright images from a projector, indeed a television to and the thought of 'almost hurts my eyes' would be a no go for myself. I don't know what Iris setting he's used or contrast setting but with superwhite off it must be incredibly bright!.

I also find digital cinema to have better base black floor which helps in dark scenes.

So what peak White ftl did he set for you ?.

Thanks.

Bright Cinema mode does show the P3 BT2020 WCG. It does not appear to show it, because the calibrator took readings and showed me a color plot that confirmed it.

HDR is about contrast. Deeper blacks and brighter whites. Everyday you see things much brighter than what your TV is capable of, and your eyes handle it just fine.

Our eyes are most sensitive to contrast changes. HDR done properly can give you a whole new sense of depth in an image. Projectors don't have near the light output to do HDR properly, and neither do current LED panels, however they get much closer than projectors.

That being said you can still get a very good image with HDR on this projector if it is properly done.

The calibrated picture I have has very deep blacks and really good contrast. Digital Cinema just does not have enough light output to properly do HDR the contrast is too narrow, and whites get clipped. The only way to prevent this is to lower contrast or turn super white on. Problem with that is you lose brightness, and the picture looks too dark.

Bright Cinema has double the light output, and can provide a much better HDR image, and contrast. In this mode you can have a wider HDR like contrast, AND retain the overall brightness of the image. You can guess your settings I did that for awhile too. Or you can either pay a calibrator or invest in some instruments yourself, and test your projector.

You need a custom gamma curve to make it right, and the only way you can do that is through taking readings. If you don't than you are just guessing.

Even if I posted all my settings from the calibration they would not work for you. My room, and conditions are different than yours.

seplant likes this.

Last edited by Oledurt; 03-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.
post #6165 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
OK .. thanks for this.

Additionally, If you only have the PS4 and you are running it in HDR remember that it will only output at HDR at 1080p.

post #6166 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
How did you guys get your HDMI cable from your avr to your projector under 20 ft, mine is 30 ft and that is as short as I can get it,my projector is 12 ft from the screen.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #6167 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
How did you guys get your HDMI cable from your avr to your projector under 20 ft, mine is 30 ft and that is as short as I can get it,my projector is 12 ft from the screen.
My HDMI run is 10'. lol My rack sits in the middle of the wall to the right, right behind the couch. PJ will be mounted on ceiling perpendicular to rack. (just got my 5040! , haven't had time to install it yet, work work work).

Oh, and AVR sits on top of rack = shortest HDMI run possible.

Last edited by Snoogleheimer; 03-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.
post #6168 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I would like to know also. Mine cable had to be 50 feet. I had to run it behind this PVC crown molding we found. My 5040 is coming today.
post #6169 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
Additionally, If you only have the PS4 and you are running it in HDR remember that it will only output at HDR at 1080p.
Hi .. yes ..it's a PS4 Pro. Will check tonight, but almost sure the 4K Enhancement is set to 'On' ..

Cheers,

n
post #6170 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
You may have to relocate your components closer to the projector if possible. All of my components are at the back of the room, in a wall unit behind the main seating position, basically directly underneath where I have the projector. That puts my projector only about 6' from my pre/pro.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #6171 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thxs guys,the only way to get mine shorter would be straight from projector to behind the screen,but that would only shorten it by a few ft.All my equipment is in front below the screen and projector above my head,as long as HDMI been around it should work perfectly at any length unless its a very cheap one.I've had no problems yet with my new 30 ft redmere cable but I'm not running 4k60 just 24fps.
post #6172 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
You may have to relocate your components closer to the projector if possible. All of my components are at the back of the room, in a wall unit behind the main seating position, basically directly underneath where I have the projector. That puts my projector only about 6' from my pre/pro.
Good idea but I can't,when I made the room I designed it for a big TV not a projector and all the outlets are in the front and I've got a very small room 22x11x8 ft.thxs
post #6173 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 318
For those of you not paying attention (I wasn't...), Epson has posted a new firmware update 109 on their update page.

Looking at it briefly while troubleshooting something else, I noticed under Signal...Advanced...Dynamic Range...that it now includes as the first choice Auto (Bright).
The second choice is now Auto.

With a little experimentation, that Auto (Bright) setting will default to HDR1. Yea!!

And, Auto (second choice) still defaults to HDR2 like always.

There may be other changes...I am still chasing my current problem...
Oledurt likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

Last edited by dvdwilly3; 03-02-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Left something out...
post #6174 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
For those of you not paying attention (I wasn't...), Epson has posted a new firmware update 109 on their update page.

Looking at it briefly while troubleshooting something else, I noticed under Signal...Advanced...Dynamic Range...that it now includes as the first choice Auto (Bright).
The second choice is now Auto.

With a little experimentation, that Auto (Bright) setting will default to HDR1. Yea!!

And, Auto (second choice) still defaults to HDR2 like always.

There may be other changes...I am still chasing my current problem...
Yep, been available and discussed in here since the middle of February!
panman40 and dvdwilly3 like this.
post #6175 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post
Yep, been available and discussed in here since the middle of February!
Curiously, I ran a search on 5040 update 109, and the search turned up nothing...

Oh, well, better late than never...
jsrdlr likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-profiles.html

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+

post #6176 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I decide to get a HD Fury Linker will it work with a mono price active HDMI cable red mere?
post #6177 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
I for sure had HDR running with Netflix. That indian adam sandler movie was totally feeding HDR.
I updated the Firmware on the projector and then a day later updated the shield to its newest update.

Stopped sending after that.
Same here I watched multiple stuff in 4k BT2020 HDR on Netflix. After I updated the shield and the projector firmware I am stuck with 4k BT2020 SDR. The old reboot at 50Hz and go back to 23Hz workaround is not working for me anymore even though the UHD section is still shown in Netflix.
Beside that 4k BT2020 still looks amazing

NoTechi
post #6178 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
If I decide to get a HD Fury Linker will it work with a mono price active HDMI cable red mere?
It should work as well as any other device would using any particular cable.
post #6179 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thxs flapjack
post #6180 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my projector in a year or so. I currently have an Epson 5010. I havn't read all 207 pages but I'll try to get through most. I've seen a lot of good and some bad with 5040 due to firmware and hdr stuff. But again, I havn't read the whole thread so I might be reading to much into it. If you were me, would you get the current 5040, or wait to see if they have a "5050" this or next year with all the latest kinks and firmware and all little updates and things fixed that the 5040 kinda had problems with? Thanks my friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page