Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26960Likes

post #6181 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:09 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my projector in a year or so. I currently have an Epson 5010. I havn't read all 207 pages but I'll try to get through most. I've seen a lot of good and some bad with 5040 due to firmware and hdr stuff. But again, I havn't read the whole thread so I might be reading to much into it. If you were me, would you get the current 5040, or wait to see if they have a "5050" this or next year with all the latest kinks and firmware and all little updates and things fixed that the 5040 kinda had problems with? Thanks my friends.
The 5040UB is a great projector, but it has limitations especially with the HDMI chipset bandwidth. The problem is that after the 5050 you want to wait for the 5060, then for the... You know what I'm saying. I don't have any problems with my 6040.

Do you have a receiver that can handle HDR and 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my projector in a year or so. I currently have an Epson 5010. I havn't read all 207 pages but I'll try to get through most. I've seen a lot of good and some bad with 5040 due to firmware and hdr stuff. But again, I havn't read the whole thread so I might be reading to much into it. If you were me, would you get the current 5040, or wait to see if they have a "5050" this or next year with all the latest kinks and firmware and all little updates and things fixed that the 5040 kinda had problems with? Thanks my friends.
Depending on when you got the 5010, it seems like you are ok waiting a few Generations before considering a change. If you've waited this long and you are not looking to do anything until next year anyways, why not wait to see if the 5050 or some other version is available then. I think those of us who have the 5040 now and have learned enough about how to get the most out of it,would say we're pretty happy. My last projector before this one was purchased in 2007. So I was pretty patient. The difference between my old one and the new 5040 is night and day.
post #6183 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
The 5040UB is a great projector, but it has limitations especially with the HDMI chipset bandwidth. The problem is that after the 5050 you want to wait for the 5060, then for the... You know what I'm saying. I don't have any problems with my 6040.

Do you have a receiver that can handle HDR and 4K?

Thank you. As of right now, I do not own anything 4k or HDR, just considering an upgrade. I'm buying my first home and wanted my livingroom/theatre room to be nice. But I also know the 5040 is not a true 4k also. And I'm trying to read the whole thread currently, but what is the HDMI chipset bandwith problem the 5040 has? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6184 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
Depending on when you got the 5010, it seems like you are ok waiting a few Generations before considering a change. If you've waited this long and you are not looking to do anything until next year anyways, why not wait to see if the 5050 or some other version is available then. I think those of us who have the 5040 now and have learned enough about how to get the most out of it,would say we're pretty happy. My last projector before this one was purchased in 2007. So I was pretty patient. The difference between my old one and the new 5040 is night and day.

I bought my 5010 a month or two after it came out. Yeah I don't upgrade often. But it has been several years. You are correct though, I've waited this long, I can wait till the "5050" comes out. It maybe full 4k or not have some of the firmware issues or chip issues this one people have noticed.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #6185 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Right now is a great time to pick up the 5040UB or 5040UBe because Epson just dropped the prices. But if you're not looking to do anything for a while, I'd wait to see how that new Optoma UHD60 looks that's coming out this year. It'll be the first sub-$3000 native 4K projector. There's also the new BenQ HT8050 native 4K projector that just came out. More than the Epson, but half the price of the Sony. Not endorsing either of those, just pointing out that native 4K projectors are dropping in price pretty quickly. Up until last month, the $10k Sony was the lowest priced true 4K projector. That's changing quickly. All that aside, with proper calibration, the 5040 can output a pretty stunning picture.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #6186 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Right now is a great time to pick up the 5040UB or 5040UBe because Epson just dropped the prices. But if you're not looking to do anything for a while, I'd wait to see how that new Optoma UHD60 looks that's coming out this year. It'll be the first sub-$3000 native 4K projector. There's also the new BenQ HT8050 native 4K projector that just came out. More than the Epson, but half the price of the Sony. Not endorsing either of those, just pointing out that native 4K projectors are dropping in price pretty quickly. Up until last month, the $10k Sony was the lowest priced true 4K projector. That's changing quickly. All that aside, with proper calibration, the 5040 can output a pretty stunning picture.

Thank you. That's what I think I will do. I've owned all Epsons; 5 to be exact. I just havn't upgraded since the 5010. But I think I will wait. I don't mind switching to a different brand if they are better. Maybe Epson will fix their 4k issues on their next one and be true 4k. I will check into that BenQ.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #6187 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:43 PM

I do however need new hdmi cables. Probably buying some in the next week. Might as well go ahead and get 4k ones and upgrade. Get future proof per say. I know Monoprice has just 1 set of cables that are 4k and HDR. It's the #15427. Not sure if they are the newest hdmi spec 2.0 or 2.2; but is that what everyone is using or is their one better out there?
post #6188 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will my setup work???

I've been reading for a long time and appreciate all the info everyone drops in here......

I've just bought an Epson 5040UB(First Projector!) and will have it installed next week. I'm concerned about the HDMI run....I bought a media bridge HDMI cable that supports 4k 60 hz(advertised) that's 35 feet long. Should I be concerned? Right now I have Denon x2300, Xbox One S(I'm aware of HDR issue) and just purchased the ELAC F5 and B6 setup.....

Has anyone experienced issue with longer runs? Should I look at getting another Bluray player?I just want to make sure I get the best picture and sound quality within my budget! Thanks for the help and all advice is welcome!
post #6189 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well my new 5040ub came today. I did get it on the mount my old 2030 was using. Well.... I didn't think about this. My 2030 was at 9 feet and projected on 100" 16:9. The 5040 I can't get the image to fill screen even at full zoom. Hmmmm... I didn't want to take the mount down. I can go back about 2 feet if needed but sucks!
post #6190 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You have calculator on Epson website. Should use before bought Epson projector.

Wickedg8gt.
I using 50 feet long "kabel direct" HDMI from Amazon.
Have been recommended by someone in this thread.
Thanks to that person.
Cable work fine.
elmalloc likes this.
post #6191 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
125 inch screen projector is 15 feet back. I sit 10 feet from screen. My calibrator tested the colorspace of digital cinema and bright cinema. His readings confirmed that you are still getting the bt2020/P3 colorspace in bright cinema mode without the cinema filter. The greens are not quite as accurate as digital cinema mode. Once calibrated looks damn good though.

digital cinema mode has superior color accuracy. In regards to HDR you want as much brightness as you can get, and a custom gamma curve to get the most out of this projector or any projector frankly.

The calibrator plotted the colors using very expensive gear. I don't have to guess. you are getting p3 without the cinema filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotcha, thanks. Helpful information. I think I need a prof calibration. I really want to love HDR on this pj but I'm just not there yet. I keep reverting back to the strip metadata feature in the Oppo 203. I also keep going back and forth between dig cinema and natural and now I'm gonna have to give bright cinema a chance again!

I was just worried that HDR on these PJ's was too new for calibrators to really have a good handle on what to do, especially if they don't have a lot of direct experience with the Epson. Was worried about wasting $375+
Oledurt and john fusco like this.
post #6192 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Gotcha, thanks. Helpful information. I think I need a prof calibration. I really want to love HDR on this pj but I'm just not there yet. I keep reverting back to the strip metadata feature in the Oppo 203. I also keep going back and forth between dig cinema and natural and now I'm gonna have to give bright cinema a chance again!

I was just worried that HDR on these PJ's was too new for calibrators to really have a good handle on what to do, especially if they don't have a lot of direct experience with the Epson. Was worried about wasting $375+

Find a good calibrator that has calibrated HDR. Has good equipment, and is knowlegeable. Getting the right gamma curve for HDR is key.

Bright Cinema with HDR 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Harper likes this.
post #6193 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi Oledurt,

Thanks. Using 'Bright Cinema with Auto Bright' with a 'n' shape graph on gamma curve, while Contrast, Brightness , color n tint all untouch. I feel I am already 80% there, at least the picture is now bright enough to do all kind of calibration. I think everyone that complained picture too dark on HDR material, they should at least give this setting a shot !!!
Oledurt, john fusco and bigabit like this.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #6194 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Well my new 5040ub came today. I did get it on the mount my old 2030 was using. Well.... I didn't think about this. My 2030 was at 9 feet and projected on 100" 16:9. The 5040 I can't get the image to fill screen even at full zoom. Hmmmm... I didn't want to take the mount down. I can go back about 2 feet if needed but sucks!
I abandoned the ceiling mount that was utilized for both my Panny pj's. I built and installed a custom shelf above the room entrance on the rear wall opposite the screen, obviously. I wish I'd done this to begin with. My room appears larger without the hulking 5040 hanging from the ceiling. Glad I did it.
post #6195 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nvidia stream 2017 still sends netflix HDR with 1.09

There are above posts one page back that state that after firmware update 1.09 to the projector that Netflix will no longer send HDR to the 5040ub using the nvidia shield 2017.
I have not found this to be the case - netflix HDR still works after 1.09 update. Remember, you need to lock the shield at 4k/24hz for it to work.
covsound1 likes this.
post #6196 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Anyone here upgrade from a 5030? I currently have a 5030 and I just ordered the 5040 it will be here Saturday. I'm anxious to see the improvements.

post #6197 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
Bright Cinema mode does show the P3 BT2020 WCG. It does not appear to show it, because the calibrator took readings and showed me a color plot that confirmed it.

HDR is about contrast. Deeper blacks and brighter whites. Everyday you see things much brighter than what your TV is capable of, and your eyes handle it just fine.

Our eyes are most sensitive to contrast changes. HDR done properly can give you a whole new sense of depth in an image. Projectors don't have near the light output to do HDR properly, and neither do current LED panels, however they get much closer than projectors.

That being said you can still get a very good image with HDR on this projector if it is properly done.

The calibrated picture I have has very deep blacks and really good contrast. Digital Cinema just does not have enough light output to properly do HDR the contrast is too narrow, and whites get clipped. The only way to prevent this is to lower contrast or turn super white on. Problem with that is you lose brightness, and the picture looks too dark.

Bright Cinema has double the light output, and can provide a much better HDR image, and contrast. In this mode you can have a wider HDR like contrast, AND retain the overall brightness of the image. You can guess your settings I did that for awhile too. Or you can either pay a calibrator or invest in some instruments yourself, and test your projector.

You need a custom gamma curve to make it right, and the only way you can do that is through taking readings. If you don't than you are just guessing.

Even if I posted all my settings from the calibration they would not work for you. My room, and conditions are different than yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's reassuring then that it does actually cover WCG.

I agree our eyes do see bright images every day but sat in a completely darkened room with various scene changes if whites a bright enough to make me squint that's to bright for me, it's just a personal thing I guess.

I'm intrigued how you have very deep blacks though unless your using the auto Iris ?, you can't make blacks deeper by calibration only if they were raised to begin with using to high a brightness or the wrong video level, unfortunately I can't use the auto Iris because it's noisy and distracting during quiet scenes.

I'm not a fan of superwhite on for HDR although it's a must for the natural SDR calibration I have done, once I get V3 of ChromaPure I will have a stab at HDR calibration and setup digital and bright cinema on memories to compare, it sounds like you have a very nice calibration and your happy which is the main thing !.

I certainly wouldn't want to copy all your settings, especially greyscale and colour gamut, that would be a wrong thing to do as like you say all displays will be slightly different , I would be interested to see a screenshot of your HDR gamma curve if your calibrator left you any charts ?, that would be interesting.
post #6198 of 18171 Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Right now is a great time to pick up the 5040UB or 5040UBe because Epson just dropped the prices.
Yikes, $500 price drop so soon after launch (~6 months)? That almost sounds like they've realised that the HDMI chipset/HDR issue is unsolvable and they are rushing it's replacement already....
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #6199 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjackdowntheline View Post
I'm beginning to the think that a Linker is kind of an important companion device to this projector if you plan on playing games using the newest consoles, otherwise you're probably gonna have a bad time with 4k60 HDR.

guess I have a lot of reading & searching to do
post #6200 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question for you all. I am going to be moving my projector mount today due to different throws from my old 2030 and new 5040. Per Epson for 100" screen need be 9' 10" - 20' 8.1" [Ft/in].

So would it matter much if say I go 10' 10" and use the zoom in? That way later if want change to 110" it would be at range?
post #6201 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 07:42 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3791 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
I have a question for you all. I am going to be moving my projector mount today due to different throws from my old 2030 and new 5040. Per Epson for 100" screen need be 9' 10" - 20' 8.1" [Ft/in].

So would it matter much if say I go 10' 10" and use the zoom in? That way later if want change to 110" it would be at range?
No problem there. The Epson has a very wide range of Focal Length / Zoom.

At 10'-10" you will be optimizing the available Lumen output, and availing yourself of a tighter image.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6202 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:

According to the calculator on Projector Central, 10'-10" is exactly at the end of the zoom range for a 110" screen. If it were me, I'd give myself a little more wiggle room. I'm at about a 16' throw onto a 1.2 gain 110" Cinegrey screen and there's MORE then enough brightness. I'd actually go back a bit further if I could, but that'd require taking out a wall...

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #6203 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabit View Post
I ordered my first unit from Amazon (direct/prime). Sent it back a month later with 100 hours on the bulb. Full refund, no questions asked.
Do you know how long their return policy is? Did they send you a new one or you just got your money back? Trying to decide between Crutchfield or Amazon to purchase.
post #6204 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
You may just want to check that image enhancement is ON in the projector settings. Then you can adjust the leves (1,2,3) from there to your preference.
Hi again.

After a bit more playing around here's where I'm at.

PS4 Pro renders the home page in 4K with passthrough from the AVR. When I open Horizon Zero Dawn, the first Geurilla Logo renders in 4K, and then the screen goes blank before the second Geurilla Logo and then when it comes back, the game is only outputting 1080p. Even if the PS4Pro is hard set to output in 2K, it just stays at 1080 in-game.

Go back out to the menu screen and we're back at 4K again ... curious.

Any other PS4 Pro users experience this?

Switching it up to my PC, and it renders 4K with AVR passthrough, same with NVidia SHield ..

Just with the Horizon Zero Dawn game for some reason ...

Any suggestions welcome

n
post #6205 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
According to the calculator on Projector Central, 10'-10" is exactly at the end of the zoom range for a 110" screen. If it were me, I'd give myself a little more wiggle room. I'm at about a 16' throw onto a 1.2 gain 110" Cinegrey screen and there's MORE then enough brightness. I'd actually go back a bit further if I could, but that'd require taking out a wall...
I think we could do back about 12 1/5 maybe 13 max. Don't want right against the back wall.
post #6206 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyda038 View Post
Do you know how long their return policy is? Did they send you a new one or you just got your money back? Trying to decide between Crutchfield or Amazon to purchase.
Amazon is 30 days. Crutchfield is 60.
bigabit likes this.

post #6207 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy83 View Post
I've been reading for a long time and appreciate all the info everyone drops in here......

I've just bought an Epson 5040UB(First Projector!) and will have it installed next week. I'm concerned about the HDMI run....I bought a media bridge HDMI cable that supports 4k 60 hz(advertised) that's 35 feet long. Should I be concerned? Right now I have Denon x2300, Xbox One S(I'm aware of HDR issue) and just purchased the ELAC F5 and B6 setup.....

Has anyone experienced issue with longer runs? Should I look at getting another Bluray player?I just want to make sure I get the best picture and sound quality within my budget! Thanks for the help and all advice is welcome!
I also have the Denon x2300 and bought this 35ft HDMI cable. Everything has worked flawlessly so far, even with 4K. As for the blu ray player, I have the Philips 4K player and that has been working just fine as well. The other thing I want to mention is that I have the Denon set to "Bypass" the video. I tried having the Denon scale everything to 4K, but that did not look as good.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Hsu VTF-15H MK2
Ascend Acoustics 340 & 170
Denon X2300W
Panasonic UB820 + Nvidia Shield + Apple TV 4K
post #6208 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataJunkie View Post
Hi again.

After a bit more playing around here's where I'm at.

PS4 Pro renders the home page in 4K with passthrough from the AVR. When I open Horizon Zero Dawn, the first Geurilla Logo renders in 4K, and then the screen goes blank before the second Geurilla Logo and then when it comes back, the game is only outputting 1080p. Even if the PS4Pro is hard set to output in 2K, it just stays at 1080 in-game.

Go back out to the menu screen and we're back at 4K again ... curious.

Any other PS4 Pro users experience this?

Switching it up to my PC, and it renders 4K with AVR passthrough, same with NVidia SHield ..

Just with the Horizon Zero Dawn game for some reason ...

Any suggestions welcome

n
You have to turn off the HDR in the ingame settings. That will set the resolution back to 4k.
elmalloc likes this.

Setup: EPSON 5040UBE, DENON 4200W, Philips BDP7501, ATMOS 5.1.4, PS4Pro
post #6209 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
seems I will be pulling the trigger for HD fury Linker. Can the owners confirm that this will resolve the PS4 Pro issue of 4K RGB color & HDR at 4K/60? also is there any other benefits expected from the linker? can it strip the HDR info while maintaining BT2020 ?
post #6210 of 18171 Old 03-03-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I think we could do back about 12 1/5 maybe 13 max. Don't want right against the back wall.
I'm going to have to go within 2" of my back wall. THe vents are in the front. Yeah it seems kind of scary, but if this projector gives me 2 good years I'll be happy. I need 110" so 10'10" is a tight push, I should have never bought a 110"' screen for this room. Never go "as big as you can", always leave wiggle room.
rmilyard likes this.

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page