Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26901Likes

post #7261 of 17706 Old 04-14-2017, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Appreciate you taking the time to provide that kind of detail. I'm trying your settings out on the Passengers UHD and I gotta say it's pretty darn good. I do have a question about your brightness settings though. Seems a bit dark with some black crush. Turning it up on mine to about 51 or 52 looks better, or switching to Expanded and bringing brightness down to 42 looks really good. Any reason why you wouldn't want Expandex over Normal for better shadow detail?

I'm wondering if I should just be using my standard brightness settings for Digital Cinema via my S&M disc. I'm guessing I don't need an HDR signal for that, correct? Is it just as simple as using your settings with the brightness pattern?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well things like brightness, contrast, color and tint are all system and environment dependent, so I am not shocked that what works in my theater is slightly different in yours. Those things needs to be adjusted in each environment and aren't hard set anywhere really. Try to avoid using Expanded (0-255) with video signals, because they are mastered in limited mode (16-235). PC signals are usually Expanded. I have however tested and seen instances where expanded does seem to help when HDR is involved, but as with anything HDR these days, who really knows, haha! I have heard reports that some engineers from a few brands have told owners that for HDR you are supposed to use Expanded mode, but that seems contradictory to everything being said in the open. I personally have noticed it helping, if that means anything. With that being said, I think when I tried Expanded Mode it may have helped the blacks but it blew out or did something to the white end, so I switched back to Normal. I don't recall exactly what that was though. I'll have to check again.

You shouldn't use an SDR calibration disc for HDR, which is what this essentially is, at least signal wise. I would get the R. Masciola's UHD HDR WCG Test Pattern Suite if I were you and want to mess with HDR. It is money well spent and only like $30 or something. If not, at the very least you can put in a Sony UHD Bluray and at the menu type in 7669 (spells Sony) and it will bring up hidden test patterns to use, although not hardly as extensive as the RM ones.
Nima likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 17706 Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 PM

I watched some tivo cable tv on the 5040 last night after our movie (Fences with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, both giving incredible performances and a great story to boot!!!) I have to say it looked way more pleasing, smooth and natural than I recall this projector looking the first time I owned one a few months ago.

Did one of the FW updates that were dropped while I was away from this model for a few months happen to help this and the quality of the picture that much, or did something else happen to make the image seem this much improved compared to a few months ago?
post #7263 of 17706 Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I watched some tivo cable tv on the 5040 last night after our movie (Fences with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, both giving incredible performances and a great story to boot!!!) I have to say it looked way more pleasing, smooth and natural than I recall this projector looking the first time I owned one a few months ago.

Did one of the FW updates that were dropped while I was away from this model for a few months happen to help this and the quality of the picture that much, or did something else happen to make the image seem this much improved compared to a few months ago?
I've got around 200 hours on mine and noticed that the quality seems to be getting better too. I was considering getting something else when new stuff came out, now, not so much..

Thanks for all the valuable information you provide Dave!!!
Dave Harper likes this.

Nice Stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7264 of 17706 Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I have been spending some limited time with the 5040ub projector. So far good. I got the value view glasses from Amazon today and I watched a couple of scenes from avengers 3D and another IMAX documentary. While it is nice, I do see some cross talk. I think that's what it is. I have never owned 3D stuff before. I have a Sony bd6200 bluray player that supports 3D but avengers won't work with it and I did not try anything else with it. I tried direct connection to projector and still does not work. But my PS4 worked both directly and through my receiver. Also I tried updating the firmware from 108 to 109 but it won't recognize my USB stick. Did not do anything when I plugged it in. Also network cable did not give me any new menus either. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7265 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Has anyone else seen this new FW update for the Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray player? It supposedly now offers forcing 10 bit output , but more importantly gives a new HDR Brightness Range adjustment (similar to the Sony VW675ES' Contrast (HDR) Slider) to increase the brightness of the entire HDR image. This could be a boon to us 5040/6040 owners that want to use Digital Cinema mode to preserve the rec2020 WCG filter for true DCI-P3 colors! This could allow the image to be bright enough too now! I can't wait to try this out! :
Hi All,
I have to second Dave's comments. The new HDR Brightness Range Adjustment (BRA) slider on the Panasonic UB900 now lets me watch 4k UHD blu-rays in digital cinema mode with P3 colour! Without the BRA slider, digital cinema was too dark. What is quite impressive is that it raises the brightness of the image without raising the black level. Really quite amazing!

Watched the opening of Spider-Man 2 on UHD blu-ray with the BRA slider set to +6 and the Epson in Digital cinema mode, so getting the full P3 experience. Wow! The reds and blues on Spiderman's suit really pop! It now looks like the image I remember when I saw the movie at our local cinema (shown in 4k and P3 colour).

I also watched a bit of John Wick in 4k UHD blu-ray. This is quite a dark movie, but now very watchable in digital cinema mode with the BRA slider at +7. I was very surprised how much detail you could see in the dark suits he was wearing.

Regards,
Stephen
post #7266 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I was planning on doing a firmware update on my 5040 today and was wondering if all the settings and lens positions get wiped during the process.

I'm not sure if I should write everything down or not? I can't find anything in the manual on saving the configuration prior to the upgrade process.
post #7267 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Good question- I did my firmware update the day my 6040 wa installed, so I can't help there, but I can offer a time-saver if you need to record your current settings- use your phone camera. Easy-peasy.
post #7268 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
I was planning on doing a firmware update on my 5040 today and was wondering if all the settings and lens positions get wiped during the process.

I'm not sure if I should write everything down or not? I can't find anything in the manual on saving the configuration prior to the upgrade process.

Nope, settings won't be erased

post #7269 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thanks. I was able to get the update completed and it kept all my settings. I see people posting a screenshot of their incoming video signal properties. I just hooked up my Oppo and can't find that screen anywhere. I'm probably looking right at it, but I can't even seem to find it in the manual.

Any suggestions for getting the best picture? I'm not sure if I need to turn on FI or force 4K from the Oppo. I'm lost.

Thanks!
post #7270 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Ok, I think I successfully updated via thumb drive. Right?

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro
post #7271 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
Thanks. I was able to get the update completed and it kept all my settings. I see people posting a screenshot of their incoming video signal properties. I just hooked up my Oppo and can't find that screen anywhere. I'm probably looking right at it, but I can't even seem to find it in the manual.

Any suggestions for getting the best picture? I'm not sure if I need to turn on FI or force 4K from the Oppo. I'm lost.

Thanks!

If you have the Oppo 203, press and hold the info button on the Oppo remote for a few seconds and a screen will pop up. It will show you the output detail from the Oppo and if you scroll down you'll see what Oppo is sending the 5040 based on your Oppo settings. The info on the 5040 will show it as well.

Also, best settings for 5040 seems to be 4:2:2 12bit. In order to use FI on the 5040, you have to set the Oppo setting to Source Direct. I think you can also use custom 1080p. I have my 203 set to Custom UHD, 4:2:2 and then Auto for the bit depth.

post #7272 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
Ok, I think I successfully updated via thumb drive. Right?

Yep

post #7273 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmacs View Post
Hi All,
I have to second Dave's comments. The new HDR Brightness Range Adjustment (BRA) slider on the Panasonic UB900 now lets me watch 4k UHD blu-rays in digital cinema mode with P3 colour! Without the BRA slider, digital cinema was too dark. What is quite impressive is that it raises the brightness of the image without raising the black level. Really quite amazing!

Watched the opening of Spider-Man 2 on UHD blu-ray with the BRA slider set to +6 and the Epson in Digital cinema mode, so getting the full P3 experience. Wow! The reds and blues on Spiderman's suit really pop! It now looks like the image I remember when I saw the movie at our local cinema (shown in 4k and P3 colour).

I also watched a bit of John Wick in 4k UHD blu-ray. This is quite a dark movie, but now very watchable in digital cinema mode with the BRA slider at +7. I was very surprised how much detail you could see in the dark suits he was wearing.

Regards,
Stephen

HOLY HELL THIS SOUNDS INTERESTING! Problem is I bought the Philips player 2 months ago for $180 and the Panasonic UB900 is $600

CURRENT SETUP:
Sony X940E / Denon AVR-S730h /
NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 / PANASONIC UB820 UHD PLAYER / MAudio BX8a front mains / Klipsch R‑15PM rear left/right / Emotiva C1 center / Polk Audio OWM3 height left/right.
post #7274 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Yep
Ok, thanks. That was easy.

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro
post #7275 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmacs View Post
Hi All,

Regards,
Stephen
This seems like something Epson could easily add to the projector via a firmware/software update. What do you think the chances are of that happening?
post #7276 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
OK here are the settings, told in menu pictures mostly. I set the menu item to the specific mode it's in instead of AUTO so you can see what it is supposed to be and to make sure it's in that mode specifically to get the proper results. The most important settings are the gamma, contrast and setting it to SDR mode manually instead of HDR. (This is to simulate using a projector/display that isn't HDR capable, like the amazing LS10000, which I want to try this on and will post a similar post there in that thread):

Settings are, from left to right 0, -14, -24, -26, -27, -28, -26, 16, 32.

Panasonic UB900 showing sending HDR:

This puts the clip point for HDR specular highlights/whites at about 1200 nits. If I could've went higher on contrast I would've probably made that clipping point at about 1000 nits.

You may also want to adjust the color saturation some. That was the last thing I messed with very late last night (or should I say this morning! ) so it may not be perfect, but it certainly made my jaw drop at that setting watching Ghostbusters!

If you have an SDR only display you can use an hdfury Linker to trick your source into sending its full HDR signal and then disable the HDR flag on its output to the display. I hope to try this on an LS10000. If anyone here has one or knows someone with one, please refer them here.

Enjoy and please feel free to tweak as needed and share your results.

I have to say,

These settings for me are proving to be outstanding for HDR viewing.
I tweaked the settings a tad for my own tastes while using Revenant UHD.

Auto (Bright)
Bright Cinema
Brightness 48
Contrast 100
Color Sat 100
Tint 45
Lamp: High
Gamma: custom shown above
Green Adjustment: Saturation 80
Brightness 85

I'm absolutely loving this SDR for HDR setting recipe. Thanks Dave.
Dave Harper likes this.

CURRENT SETUP:
NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 / PANASONIC UB820 UHD PLAYER / MAudio BX8a front mains / Klipsch R‑15PM rear left/right / Emotiva C1 center / Polk Audio OWM3 height left/right.
post #7277 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
This seems like something Epson could easily add to the projector via a firmware/software update. What do you think the chances are of that happening?
I'm really hoping they do. I'm going to hold off on the UB900 blu ray player until the price comes down. Where can you email them or request it from them?

CURRENT SETUP:

Last edited by Evan201; 04-16-2017 at 02:05 PM.
post #7278 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
I have to say,

These settings for me are proving to be outstanding for HDR viewing.

I tweaked the settings a tad for my own tastes while using Revenant UHD.

Auto (Bright)

Bright Cinema

Brightness 48

Contrast 100

Color Sat 100

Tint 45

Lamp: High

Gamma: custom shown above

Green Adjustment: Saturation 80

Brightness 85

I'm absolutely loving this SDR for HDR setting recipe. Thanks Dave.

I thought Dave's settings were really for use with a P3 mode, like Cinema or Digital Cinema? The Bright Cinema setting is already pretty bright, and to use it with SDR with contrast and color at 100 doesn't seem like it would have a very good or accurate picture. But I'm going to try it anyway and see how it looks.

panman40 likes this.
post #7279 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry if I'm being dense but I've ordered my first projector for my new house being built and so I'm trying to wrap my head around the HDR limitations.

My current understanding is that if I'm using a PC with an Nvidia 1070 GTX and MadVR to play a 4k 4:2:2 HDR10 REC. 2020 file that HDR will be dropped. Is that right?
post #7280 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I thought Dave's settings were really for use with a P3 mode, like Cinema or Digital Cinema? The Bright Cinema setting is already pretty bright, and to use it with SDR with contrast and color at 100 doesn't seem like it would have a very good or accurate picture. But I'm going to try it anyway and see how it looks.

The lowered gamma values really help to keep clipping at bay even when boosting contrast and color that high. Check it out. Revenant looks outstanding to me.

CURRENT SETUP:
post #7281 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I'm really hoping they do. I'm going to hold off on the UB900 blu ray player until the price comes down. Where can you email them or request it from them?
Just go to Epson' s website under Support and you should be able to email them from there or find a support number to call.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #7282 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I see that the Epson 5040ub is on sale for $2499 for how long? Also any 5040ub owners located in SF Bay area interested showing off your projector?

Last edited by jsil; 04-16-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #7283 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
May I ask you guys for some advices on 5040UB screen choice? I'm considering to replace my Da-Lite 106" 16:9 white screen with an Elite cinegrey3D ALR 135" 16:9. I'm after the better contrast and amibient light performance but have some concern of loss of brightness and the pop I really enjoy with this projector. As expected the screen sample I got indeed show increased contrast but loss of white level. I would like to hear what kind of screens people are using with this projector and what do you think of my choice of the cinegrey screen. I watch mostly cable sports and news and streaming with occasional DVD movies. I know it's still a personal preference but I just couldn't make up my mind.
post #7284 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkpro View Post
May I ask you guys for some advices on 5040UB screen choice? I'm considering to replace my Da-Lite 106" 16:9 white screen with an Elite cinegrey3D ALR 135" 16:9. I'm after the better contrast and amibient light performance but have some concern of loss of brightness and the pop I really enjoy with this projector. As expected the screen sample I got indeed show increased contrast but loss of white level. I would like to hear what kind of screens people are using with this projector and what do you think of my choice of the cinegrey screen. I watch mostly cable sports and news and streaming with occasional DVD movies. I know it's still a personal preference but I just couldn't make up my mind.

I've paired my 5040 with a 120" cinegray ALR 16:9 screen. The room I have it in has a huge window directly to the left of the screen and mid day the room is flooded with light. This projector and screen combination is not enough to out power that amount of light but becomes very watchable by simply pulling the blinds.

In the evening with standard rec709 content the combination is great and at night can almost become slightly too bright for me. I only operate it on ECO mode since my elevation requires High Altitude mode on which can cause the fan to get too loud for my liking on any other lamp setting.

I have been nothing but thrilled with this projector and screen combination. Obviously if money allows for it in the future I would love to get an SI Black Diamond or Slate screen but for now I am more than happy with my picture. Hope this insight helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson 5040UB projector (120-inch 16:9 Elite Screen Cinema5D Screen) | Pioneer Elite SC-95 A/V Receiver 5.1.2 Setup| Elac UF5s Fronts | Elac UC5 Center | Monoprice Premium 6.25" Tower Surrounds | Elac A4s | OPPO 203 | Sony PS4 | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield
post #7285 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I'm using a JKP Da-lite 110" 16x9 .9 gain screen and I find it perfect!

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #7286 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkpro View Post
I'm using that same Elite screen and am very satisfied with its performance in my light controlled dedicated theater room. However I'm somewhat dissatisfied with the quality. There are several slight defects in the ALR coating that show up plainly under a bright white scene. Resembles as if someone's doodled zig zags on the screen with a fingertip, but close inspection indicates irregularities in the coating.
post #7287 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can someone show me where I can get to the following setting?

4k : HDR BT2020 4:2:2

Or is this just the type of 4K disc you have?
post #7288 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
you can get a good picture with sdr and gamma adjustments but if you own a panny player with the new update whats the point. i will even say there are more than one way to skin a cat to get the same result. the idea behind sdr for hdr projectors was to get more light output. with the panny running as a processor and hdr nit mapping combined with epson custom gamma you have all the control you need to throw a more than respectable hdr image.
post #7289 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 08:57 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Well, Sony did it for their VW365/665ES models after the 675 came out and offered it, so there may be the possibility of Epson being able to with the 5040/6040 too, depending on hardware limitations.

To me, after my HDR on SDR tweaks and also the UB900 HDR tone brightness slider, it seems easy to rectify now. Just either get a UB900, or if that's too expensive for your budget, use your current UHD Bluray player to send HDR WCG to the Epson and then apply my settings using SDR and....voila!

Quote:

You can always find a used one. I remember seeing tons of them for great deals when the Oppo 203 dropped.

Quote:

Yes it's designed around a P3 mode like Digital Cinema or Cinema. It does seem to me that Evan201's settings are quite high and probably over processed, but it sounds like that's how he likes his picture, so have at it and enjoy, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covsound1 View Post
you can get a good picture with sdr and gamma adjustments but if you own a panny player with the new update whats the point. i will even say there are more than one way to skin a cat to get the same result. the idea behind sdr for hdr projectors was to get more light output. with the panny running as a processor and hdr nit mapping combined with epson custom gamma you have all the control you need to throw a more than respectable hdr image.
I actually compared it both ways with my UB900 and it was better with the pseudo HDR on SDR settings. I used my tweaked Oledurt's custom gamma too and have played with it some too. I think it's because when you use the tone brightness adjustment slider, it's coarsely raising the whole range between the end points. I agree maybe with some further gamma tweaks it could really be something though.

I don't know, but there's just something about this HDR using SDR thing that just makes this projector sing and seems to hit its sweet spot, that's for sure! It totally preserves the high and low ends and the detail presented in between is just astonishing, without any white clipping or low black crushing. You see tons of high white details and low black details in the shadows, and to top it off the mids just pop and kill it man!

This actually reminds me of when in the CRT projector days we started using 48Hz for movies (24fps x 2, same as theater's film projectors) and it really brought out the details and sharpness and brought this true to life looking, clear and detailed image with tons of depth on screen, besides of course the 24Hz flicker that was kinda cool, like being at the theater watching real film.

This mode has this analog CRT quality and gamma look to it, with the benefits of what digitalis bring now, is the best way I can describe it.
ayrton and covsound1 like this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 04-16-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #7290 of 17706 Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
will give it another go with sdr mode. thankyou for your insight really like the commit (analog crt quality).
Dave Harper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page