Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26864Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8971 of 17559 Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I own a 5040 and have been following this thread very closely. I do not own an UltraHD player right now but am looking to purchase one. Question, is there any player (shield,pc,etc.) that can play an HDR10 test file similar to what you find on demo-uhd3d? Trying to see what this projector can do in my home. They are listed as 10 bit 4:2:0, which according to the HDMI chipset limitations on the OP will not work. Is it possible and would you have to convert the file to 12 bit 4:2:2 to make it run? Didn't know if this was possible to do a test. Thanks in advance.
Matt Vaughn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8972 of 17559 Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
I finally went for it and ordered the 5040UB. I've had the 5020UB now for over 4 years. And it still to me is a fantastic projector. I have it up for sale now on eBay. This forum has always been helpful. Looking forward to the new projector.




You will be very pleased at what this can do. The irony is I wonder what will be out in 4 years from now when most of us will be upgrading to the 5080 and one day someone will bring this post up saying wow what a HUGE difference compared to my 4 year old 5040. Makes you wonder what technology will be out by then.
gene4ht, aaranddeeman and Seawater like this.

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #8973 of 17559 Old 06-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Can someone help answer my question about the lens memory feature on this projector. I'm going to be making a DIY screen and was wondering instead of opting for 2.35 or 16.9 aspect ratio, am I able to just make it as wide and tall as possible in order to display the biggest possible size in both formats?
SeargentPeppers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8974 of 17559 Old 06-17-2017, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,052
Mentioned: 669 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked: 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
Can someone help answer my question about the lens memory feature on this projector. I'm going to be making a DIY screen and was wondering instead of opting for 2.35 or 16.9 aspect ratio, am I able to just make it as wide and tall as possible in order to display the biggest possible size in both formats?

If I understand correctly, what you are wanting to do is have the largest screen as possible. If so, are you height limited or width limited on your screen wall? If height limited then go with a 2:35:1 screen and you will have bars on the side (empty space actually) for 16:9 content. If you are width limited go 16:9 and you will have bars on the top and bottom for 2:35:1 content.
carp is offline  
post #8975 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
If I understand correctly, what you are wanting to do is have the largest screen as possible. If so, are you height limited or width limited on your screen wall? If height limited then go with a 2:35:1 screen and you will have bars on the side (empty space actually) for 16:9 content. If you are width limited go 16:9 and you will have bars on the top and bottom for 2:35:1 content.
I am both width and height limited in that opting for a fixed aspect ratio screen would result in a smaller than desired image when watching other rations on it. My plan was to build a screen wide enough to encompass a 125" 2.35 image and tall enough to fit a 120" 16x9 image. It would mean having vertical empty screen bars for 16x9 and horizontal bars for 2.35 but I would implement a masking system. Am I explaining myself correctly?
SeargentPeppers is offline  
post #8976 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 05:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
I am both width and height limited in that opting for a fixed aspect ratio screen would result in a smaller than desired image when watching other rations on it. My plan was to build a screen wide enough to encompass a 125" 2.35 image and tall enough to fit a 120" 16x9 image. It would mean having vertical empty screen bars for 16x9 and horizontal bars for 2.35 but I would implement a masking system. Am I explaining myself correctly?
As I found out this past week getting the projector and I asked the same question. Your image projected will be no wider than the largest 16:9 image you can get on the wall. When you use lens zoom to go to 2:35 aspect ratio, the width will still be the same only the height will change. This is do to the native resolution set at 16:9 for the 5040. I opted for a 158" Silver Ticket in white at 2:35 ratio for a completely light controlled room. I have a 16' wall and 8' ceilings. The screen is apx. 6" from the ceiling and apx 19.5" from each side wall. The projector is mounted apx 3" from back wall and the room is 19' deep. I zoom in when we watch HDTV so I have black bars on both sides of image but it fills the top - bottom space 62". The Silver Ticket in that size has a 4" velvet border wrapping the extruded aluminium and looks really nice. I would have chosen to have a zero border but had a hard time getting one in that size plus getting it overnight from Amazon. You lose 8" in width and height do to the border.
jdbarnes63 is offline  
post #8977 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Seawater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New England-New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
To Upgrade HDMI for 5040UB or Not

I am upgrading from a 5020 to a 5040. I currently use a 25ft. Bluerigger HDMI cable that runs from a Denon 6300 receiver to the 5020. It has always worked fine. Yet this receiver outputs 2.2 4K. And I'm going to use a 4K Bluray Player. So I'm not sure if this cable will work. Has anyone had to upgrade their HDMI cable who upgraded to the 5040? The reviews on this Bluerigger cable said it won't pass the 4K signal. Yet I've seen videos where it said that it doesn't matter.
Seawater is offline  
post #8978 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Newbie
 
ls1ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
I too have had the occasional shut-off issue.

Unfortunately, the three times it has happened have been about 60-75 minutes into the main feature...with company...

No lights flashing afterwards that I noticed...

Otherwise over the moon with this amazing projector.
Adding my name to the list of the random shutting off. Usually about an hour in, but then afterwards it doesn't happen? I don't use it much and I've had it happen on  tv and WiiU. I don't think it's happened on TV or BluRay yet but I'm really starting to diagnose it.
ls1ashley is offline  
post #8979 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,052
Mentioned: 669 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked: 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
I am both width and height limited in that opting for a fixed aspect ratio screen would result in a smaller than desired image when watching other rations on it. My plan was to build a screen wide enough to encompass a 125" 2.35 image and tall enough to fit a 120" 16x9 image. It would mean having vertical empty screen bars for 16x9 and horizontal bars for 2.35 but I would implement a masking system. Am I explaining myself correctly?

Ahh I get it. Since you are building the frame/screen yourself then yes that would work, and I think it's a good idea since I like having the biggest screen possible, especially for movies.

Looking at the numbers, it might be a bit of a let down that your image for watching tv would be 11 inches taller than your image for watching scope movies, but you could always make the 16:9 image smaller (and change the size of the masking) if that bugged you like it would me.
carp is offline  
post #8980 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Azekecse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
I am upgrading from a 5020 to a 5040. I currently use a 25ft. Bluerigger HDMI cable that runs from a Denon 6300 receiver to the 5020. It has always worked fine. Yet this receiver outputs 2.2 4K. And I'm going to use a 4K Bluray Player. So I'm not sure if this cable will work. Has anyone had to upgrade their HDMI cable who upgraded to the 5040? The reviews on this Bluerigger cable said it won't pass the 4K signal. Yet I've seen videos where it said that it doesn't matter.
I switched to the Celerity Technologies Detachable Fiber Optic HDMI Cable, it has worked well for me. Others may chime in with their recommendations...

Happy Father's Day Everyone...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited by Azekecse; 06-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Azekecse is offline  
post #8981 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Shane M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey all,

I'm looking at a new potential PJ setup in a new house and was looking for some advice.

I'm looking at the 5040 as a step up from the 2045 I had in my previous house. Looking at a 110-120" screen, 12' throw. My questions are twofold.

1) I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room with a 14" drop. I am looking at a screen with an extra 12" drop so the image would start around 16" below the ceiling. But I'm not sure where that means I can put my PJ vertically. Would the top of the lens need to be at about 13" from the ceiling to not be obstructed, or does the top of that image come from the bottom of the lens, allowing me to snug the ceiling a bit? I ask because it's a 9' ceiling but having the 5040 mounted "so low" would not be ideal aesthetically, because it's a main room in the house and in fact the room you enter from the front door.

edit: Another option is Elite Screens make some electrics with 24-30" extra drops instead of 12". This could presumably resolve the situation and put me in the sweet spot WRT eye level.

2) Light control. I have 3 large west facing windows directly opposite the screen. I know the 5040 will throw a lot more light than the 2045 at this throw, but obviously light control is needed. Would blackout blinds be sufficient or would I need blackout curtains? Any suggestions about additional light, from for example 5 SF of frosted glass from around the front door, directly opposite and 15' over from the screen center?

Some pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139_1497840911481.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	2194233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140_1497840926526.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2194241  

Last edited by Shane M; 06-19-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Shane M is offline  
post #8982 of 17559 Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
inspector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Menifee, CA , USA
Posts: 1,339
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
I am upgrading from a 5020 to a 5040. I currently use a 25ft. Bluerigger HDMI cable that runs from a Denon 6300 receiver to the 5020. It has always worked fine. Yet this receiver outputs 2.2 4K. And I'm going to use a 4K Bluray Player. So I'm not sure if this cable will work. Has anyone had to upgrade their HDMI cable who upgraded to the 5040? The reviews on this Bluerigger cable said it won't pass the 4K signal. Yet I've seen videos where it said that it doesn't matter.

I had to up grade from Chocolate Cable 1.4 to Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active High Speed HDMI Cable 40' and it works perfect!
Seawater likes this.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
inspector is offline  
post #8983 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Member
 
tuckerpc389's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DeRidder, LA
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wanted to give my .02 to this thread since I recently purchased the Epson 5040ub. I upgraded from a Benq 1085ST to this projector. I am running it with a 35ft Bluerigger HMI cable from amazon for those that questioned distances, brands etc and I have had no issues whatsoever with audio/video 4k etc. My screen is standard 106 inch 1:1 white from Silver ticket. I am using an oppo udp-203 for UHD blu ray disks and regular blu ray disks, and an Onkyo tx-nr3030 for my receiver. First like others have mentioned, the projector is HUGE. It is rather loud on high power settings, but on medium and low you can barely hear it at all. I was able to relatively quickly dial in the lens position etc with little to no effort on my part since it's done via the remote. After tinkering with other user's settings they've posted on here, I settled into my own settings over a few hours of viewing and making changes. I found I preferred Bright Cinema setting, 4k enhancement preset 4, power medium. These seemed to produce the best picture in my environment, which is light controlled and only used for movies/games in a dedicated viewing room. Now too many people get in these long-winded diatribe, tangent-filled debates over the whole "faux-K" aspect of the pixel shifting projectors and several other brands costing triple. I however, and those who have viewed this projector in my environment, found the picture to be pretty amazing. I am more than happy with faux-k. Though I don't think you can realistically debate the upper echelon sony and jvc projectors not being better than this.However having seen a few in person, they aren't $7K-15K better IMO. So for the price point and value/bang for the buck, I would think these Epson's will be hard to beat for quite awhile. I have absolutely no buyers remorse and have had no issues so far with anything. I am admittedly using a standard ps4 and xbox one, but using the Oppo udp-203 with no problems. I did notice the whole HDR is too dim issue others have mentioned. I tried the settings, but realized I preferred it off and a brighter, punchier picture myself. So far what it's worth, if you are on the fence about this projector I highly recommend it myself. The picture with 4k material, and "4k enhanced" 1080p material looks absolutely amazing to me.
Dave Harper and gene4ht like this.

BenQ HT1085ST|Epson 5040UB|Silver Ticket 106'' Screen| Onkyo TX-NR3030| SVS Ultra Towers| SVS Ultra Center| SVS Ultra Surrounds| SVS Ultra Bookshelves| Def-Tech DI-8R in-ceiling speakers| PSA XS30SE subs| Buttkickers X's 4, 2 buttkicker amps| Oppo UDP-203| Darbee Darblet 5000| Monster HTS 5000 MKII| Carver 705x| PS4 w/VR|Xbox 360|Xbox One Forza Edition|Xbox w/coinops| Harmony Touch| Dell XPS 420 HTPC W/ Kodi W/12TB NAS| Seatcraft Adonis Seats| Monoprice & Sewell Direct cables|OmniMount RE42 Rack
tuckerpc389 is offline  
post #8984 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
@tuckerpc389 , Have you tried my HarperVision HDR on SDR settings for HDR content? It helps with the darkness you mentioned but maintains the wide color gamut filter.

The link with settings is just below my signature here.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #8985 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
doors.sl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!
I own an Epson 5040ub and I`m having problems with Lens Memory.
When i change the Lens Memory for 16:9 screen to 2:35:1 screen, the new recall its imprecise.
I already tried to record the Memory of the lenses in different ways, but always that I read a new lens memory, different from the current, the Reading is inaccurate.

Does anyone have the same problem?
Managed to solve?

thanks!
doors.sl is offline  
post #8986 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,934
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2634
@tuckerpc389 Excellent post! There seem to be many in this and other threads who question (newbies and owners wishing to upgrade) the quality of faux 4K and are on the fence or doubters. In this regard, there should be a sticky for this topic! In any case, my perspective parallels your experience exactly! IMO, the Epson 5040/6040 is an outstanding PJ...great color, bright, sharp and especially good when upscaling 1080 BD's to 4K. I would venture to guess that 95%+ of consumers would find this PJ praise worthy. Obviously, there are a few who are esoteric fringe fanatics who nit pick and find fault with everything in life!
inspector and tuckerpc389 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #8987 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,934
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by doors.sl View Post
Hi!
I own an Epson 5040ub and I`m having problems with Lens Memory.
When i change the Lens Memory for 16:9 screen to 2:35:1 screen, the new recall its imprecise.
I already tried to record the Memory of the lenses in different ways, but always that I read a new lens memory, different from the current, the Reading is inaccurate.

Does anyone have the same problem?
Managed to solve?

thanks!
See this post...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post49331585
impetigo and doors.sl like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #8988 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Member
 
tuckerpc389's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DeRidder, LA
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
@tuckerpc389 , Have you tried my HarperVision HDR on SDR settings for HDR content? It helps with the darkness you mentioned but maintains the wide color gamut filter.

The link with settings is just below my signature here.
I have not yet Dave, but plan on trying them this weekend. I appreciate you taking the time to share those with myself and everyone else. I appreciate all those who share settings and information and take the time to answer questions from other members. Too often it seems many get into ugly, vitriolic-filled back and forths. I myself love and enjoy this hobby and appreciate all the knowledge others like yourself share, and the assistance given to others who are themselves trying to learn and enjoy this hobby. Would love to see more positivity and patience displayed from others on here. I consider myself blessed to afford all these toys and electronics we all are into and realize that while many of us are splitting hairs on hdmi standards and pixel-counts, many in the rest of the world are trying to find basic food and shelter. Not trying to rant or preach, just saying. Keep it all in perspective, even if it's pixel-shifted lol.

BenQ HT1085ST|Epson 5040UB|Silver Ticket 106'' Screen| Onkyo TX-NR3030| SVS Ultra Towers| SVS Ultra Center| SVS Ultra Surrounds| SVS Ultra Bookshelves| Def-Tech DI-8R in-ceiling speakers| PSA XS30SE subs| Buttkickers X's 4, 2 buttkicker amps| Oppo UDP-203| Darbee Darblet 5000| Monster HTS 5000 MKII| Carver 705x| PS4 w/VR|Xbox 360|Xbox One Forza Edition|Xbox w/coinops| Harmony Touch| Dell XPS 420 HTPC W/ Kodi W/12TB NAS| Seatcraft Adonis Seats| Monoprice & Sewell Direct cables|OmniMount RE42 Rack
tuckerpc389 is offline  
post #8989 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Newbie
 
doors.sl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
See this post...
Thanks!!
I will try this, I hope it solves my problem.
Is it possible to update the firmware of this device via the Network or via USB only?
gene4ht likes this.
doors.sl is offline  
post #8990 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
My calibrator told me to use my 1080P calibration file for xbox 1s even though my projector says its 4K resolution because its still SDR 709 color space. Said to also use 1080P file for 1080P bluray even if it is upscaled to 4K because it's still use's 709 color space. Only time I should use the 4K SDR file is for a game or movie that is 4K but NON HDR.

Can someone please confirm this?

Dave harper?

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments

Last edited by robc1976; 06-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.
robc1976 is offline  
post #8991 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,934
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by doors.sl View Post
Thanks!!
I will try this, I hope it solves my problem.
Is it possible to update the firmware of this device via the Network or via USB only?
Although Epson utilizes both methods, the current 5040 FW update (1.09/1.04) appears to be USB only.

https://epson.com/Support/wa00805

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 06-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #8992 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
My calibrator told me to use my 1080P calibration file for xbox 1s even though my projector says its 4K resolution because its still SDR 709 color space. Said to also use 1080P file for 1080P bluray even if it is upscaled to 4K because it's still use's 709 color space. Only time I should use the 4K SDR file is for a game or movie that is 4K but NON HDR.



Can someone please confirm this?



Dave harper?

I do find that to be relatively true too. As long as the only thing that changes is the resolution. If it is SDR rec709 then the calibrated settings should be extremely similar. Once you throw in things like HDR and bt2020 or P3 colors then it would be quite different.

I'm thinking your calibrator used SDR but with bt2020 for that "4K SDR" calibration he made. That's why he says not to use it for bt709 signals.

I would say "if" he comes back or someone has someone coming initially, then maybe it's worth getting one for 1080 SDR bt709 and one for UHD, but it's not worth the minute difference to pay to have him come again, unless you also need a tune up.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #8993 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
@tuckerpc389 , Have you tried my HarperVision HDR on SDR settings for HDR content? It helps with the darkness you mentioned but maintains the wide color gamut filter.

The link with settings is just below my signature here.
its the holy Grail of settings
Dave Harper likes this.

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
robc1976 is offline  
post #8994 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I do find that to be relatively true too. As long as the only thing that changes is the resolution. If it is SDR rec709 then the calibrated settings should be extremely similar. Once you throw in things like HDR and bt2020 or P3 colors then it would be quite different.

I'm thinking your calibrator used SDR but with bt2020 for that "4K SDR" calibration he made. That's why he says not to use it for bt709 signals.

I would say "if" he comes back or someone has someone coming initially, then maybe it's worth getting one for 1080 SDR bt709 and one for UHD, but it's not worth the minute difference to pay to have him come again, unless you also need a tune up.
thank you Dave, here is what he did today

1080P 709
4K SDR 2020
Harper vision uhd hdr to SDR 2020

He was very impressed with black level detail, he cleaned up the Gray scale andb made someb minor adjustments to your gamma curve.
Dave Harper likes this.

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
robc1976 is offline  
post #8995 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 07:14 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
its the holy Grail of settings
You're hilarious!


Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
thank you Dave, here is what he did today

1080P 709
4K SDR 2020
Harper vision uhd hdr to SDR 2020

He was very impressed with black level detail, he cleaned up the Gray scale and made some minor adjustments to your gamma curve.
That is so awesome! Send me over his tweaked gamma settings. I would love to see them! I am glad he customized them for your particular environment. That is what my settings were designed to do, to get you in the ballpark and then your personalized tweaks applied.

He didn't set you up with 4K SDR rec709? So you're using the 1080p 709 one, correct? That is what I would do too.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #8996 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerpc389 View Post
Wanted to give my .02 to this thread since I recently purchased the Epson 5040ub. I upgraded from a Benq 1085ST to this projector. I am running it with a 35ft Bluerigger HMI cable from amazon for those that questioned distances, brands etc and I have had no issues whatsoever with audio/video 4k etc. My screen is standard 106 inch 1:1 white from Silver ticket. I am using an oppo udp-203 for UHD blu ray disks and regular blu ray disks, and an Onkyo tx-nr3030 for my receiver. First like others have mentioned, the projector is HUGE. It is rather loud on high power settings, but on medium and low you can barely hear it at all. I was able to relatively quickly dial in the lens position etc with little to no effort on my part since it's done via the remote. After tinkering with other user's settings they've posted on here, I settled into my own settings over a few hours of viewing and making changes. I found I preferred Bright Cinema setting, 4k enhancement preset 4, power medium. These seemed to produce the best picture in my environment, which is light controlled and only used for movies/games in a dedicated viewing room. Now too many people get in these long-winded diatribe, tangent-filled debates over the whole "faux-K" aspect of the pixel shifting projectors and several other brands costing triple. I however, and those who have viewed this projector in my environment, found the picture to be pretty amazing. I am more than happy with faux-k. Though I don't think you can realistically debate the upper echelon sony and jvc projectors not being better than this.However having seen a few in person, they aren't $7K-15K better IMO. So for the price point and value/bang for the buck, I would think these Epson's will be hard to beat for quite awhile. I have absolutely no buyers remorse and have had no issues so far with anything. I am admittedly using a standard ps4 and xbox one, but using the Oppo udp-203 with no problems. I did notice the whole HDR is too dim issue others have mentioned. I tried the settings, but realized I preferred it off and a brighter, punchier picture myself. So far what it's worth, if you are on the fence about this projector I highly recommend it myself. The picture with 4k material, and "4k enhanced" 1080p material looks absolutely amazing to me.
And where the 4k shines on this projector is

1. Harpervison settings (Digital Cinema HDR to SDR)
or
oledurt settings (Bright Cinema HDR)

2. Desserts episode from Planet earth II 4k

Look at the fur on those close shots of the lions.

You can count the hair, literally..
Dave Harper and gene4ht like this.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #8997 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
You're hilarious!




That is so awesome! Send me over his tweaked gamma settings. I would love to see them! I am glad he customized them for your particular environment. That is what my settings were designed to do, to get you in the ballpark and then your personalized tweaks applied.

He didn't set you up with 4K SDR rec709? So you're using the 1080p 709 one, correct? That is what I would do too.
I will send them over, he didn't mess with color to much, he had a reason but i forgot what it was lol! something about clipping?

All I know is it is jaw dropping.

I may have him do 4K SDR 709
Dave Harper and hnupe like this.

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
robc1976 is offline  
post #8998 of 17559 Old 06-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Member
 
hnupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Although Epson utilizes both methods, the current 5040 FW update (1.09/1.04) appears to be USB only.

https://epson.com/Support/wa00805
Can anyone tell what the firmware does?
hnupe is offline  
post #8999 of 17559 Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Just move it well away from your final intended position. Then move the image in ONE direction only vertically. And then in ONE direction horizontally. Make sure more than 10 clicks are needed. Done.
So I redid all my lens shift memory last night and so far it does seem that it is more accurate now. For the "10 clicks" part, does it actually have to be 10 or more consecutive individual clicks up to the final click, or can you hold down the direction to get close to the desired spot then just click a few times to get to the exact spot you want? Just to be safe I ended up clicking individually.

Also, does this rule of thumb/guideline also include zoom and focus? That is, when setting up a particular lens shift memory that requires zooming in or out, that you do it only in one "direction" (i.e. not overshoot and then go in the opposite direction to fine tune)? The same thing with focus. It's harder follow the rule of thumb with both focus and zoom I feel because the focus is so subtle and the zoom is so slow if you use individual clicks rather than hold down.

Furthermore, does the focus get saved with lens position memory? Zoom has to of course but not sure if focus does as well, although it obviously should as well as zooming in/out can affect the fine focus.
impetigo is online now  
post #9000 of 17559 Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Sorry to crash the party but here are my settings for HDR in their entirety...Enjoy.

Bright Cinema Mode. HDR 1 Auto Bright

Brightness = 50
Contrast = 49
Color Saturation = 50
Tint = 50
Color Temp = 4
Skin Tone = 4
Offset R = 50
Offser G = 50
Offset B = 51
Gain R = 50
Gain G = 50
Gain B = 43

Power Consumption = Medium

RGBCMY

R 53,50,50
G 40,94,27
B 61,49,47
C 59,46,44
M 62,50,50
Y 37,50,48

Auto Iris = Off
Epson Super White = Off
Lens Iris = 0
Gamma (left to right). 0,1,7,13,22,29,29,14,0


Your welcome...






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oledurt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off