Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26862Likes

post #961 of 17554 Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by filter_sweep View Post
Nice, that would be great! I'm still using a two-year old R290 (water cooled), it still handles most games without issues so I'm not too motivated to upgrade... going to wait at least one more year.

I'm going to snake (through attic) a 50ft monoprice cabernet cable from my office to the HT I'm almost finished building, go through the AVR then another 35ft cable to the 5040. I've never run a pc signal through an AVR using HDMI before so I'm hoping it will all just work but I'm mentally prepared to spend a few hours troubleshooting the inevitable quirks. I've used the CRU utility before (needed for AMD GPUs) and I figure I'll need to use it again. I'm also snaking a 65ft USB cable to the HT to go into a powered USB hub so I can use a keyboard / mouse combo and game controller, so I should be able to completely control the PC from the HT without dealing with the heat or noise. Wish me luck!

I would double check that USB cable length before snaking. I seem to remember a USB limitation of around 20'. If that's the case at 3.5 times the length I'm anticipating unreliability it it works at all. Just double check before going through all that work is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shepdog and biga6761 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 17554 Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Also are you guys running 4k enhancements when your resolution is set to 4k while gaming?
post #963 of 17554 Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I was surprised to find some incredible quality 4K / 60fps videos on YouTube if all places. If your 4K player supports YT please try this video: (and pretty much everything from that YouTube user)
Did you see the snow monkeys in Japan 5K video by them? I think that's my favorite one so far. On another note, I watched my first full blu ray tonight on the Epson... The Finest Hours in standard 1080P. The e-shifting was spectacular. The black level and clarity was very impressive. Then I decided to browse Neflix and watched an episode of Fuller House in 4K and that was nothing short of spectacular. (The PQ that is, not the episode.) But that snow monkeys video is simply !
gnolivos likes this.

Epson 5040UB
Hsu VTF-15H MK2
Ascend Acoustics 340 & 170
Denon X2300W
Panasonic UB820 + Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 17554 Old 09-23-2016, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
has anybody tried to play with 4k player color settings while watching HDR? maybe a bit on the PJ and a bit on the player could make the perfect combination..
post #965 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
OMG!!! please listen to our fellow members..look at costa rica in 4k and snow monkeys of japan5k...it looks Amazing..best content Ive seen from this projector.....including 4k movies ... and its not even t2020...
gnolivos and Haiej like this.
post #966 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
As it stands now, even with a GTX 1080 with an i7 CPU it is difficult to game at maxed out 1440p. The best compromise currently is 1080p at max settings and this PJ will handle that just fine. I know the new Xbox is claiming it will do 4k but that is a pipe dream. We are at least 1-2 years from that being viable even on a high end PC. Fully utilized 1080p is the high end of the curve for this generation. By the time cards are ready to support gaming at 4k, there will be true 4k PJs to do it on.
Depends on your target framerate I guess. I'm don't do any serious multiplayer anymore, so 30+fps is good enough for me and the GTX 1080 I have does that easily at 4k at max settings in the games I've played (Doom, Tomb Raider, Battlefront).
post #967 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripsy666 View Post
Maybe it is just me.. but....Why are people using FI? and why are the people using FI complaining about it? It is inserting false frames... of course it will never look perfect... If you are considering returning a projector for that reason, then perhaps a different display device would be more suited. That's like returning a guitar amp because activating distortion/overdrive, distorts the original sound. The projector is trying to help you by making the picture look smooth, when the original source is not.... Perhaps it is just ignorance... if so.. I apologize... There are too many product returns due to the ill-informed.
You are right it should of been obvious but coming from my old Epson FI on low helped the image a little without causing any distractions or artefacts to my eyes. I just assumed in my error on low it would be the same or better than my 5 year old Epson LCD. Guess it wasn't as aggressive back then.

I'm glad I went back though and put everything off and to 0 in settings and worked my way up. Should have done that from start really.
Cripsy666 likes this.
post #968 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Does anyone understand why the Aspect Ratio options are greyed out while on HDMI input source? My old projector allowed this via HDMI and was useful in some (albeit few) instances.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #969 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dws6 View Post
I would double check that USB cable length before snaking. I seem to remember a USB limitation of around 20'. If that's the case at 3.5 times the length I'm anticipating unreliability it it works at all. Just double check before going through all that work is all.

Thanks for the heads up... I know about that limitation but after some searching I found this active monoprice USB cable with good reviews (see link below). I'll know soon enough if it works!

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_i...EGMaAlLw8P8HAQ
post #970 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Was able to get my 5040 mounted. I'm very pleased with the picture!

I had to use a good amount of lens shift to center it on my screen. Will this degrade the picture? Or does keystone only degrade the pic? In the user guide referring to lens shift it mentions using the home button, and I'm a little confused. If I use the home button does it just reset the lens shift to the factory location?

post #971 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Was able to get my 5040 mounted. I'm very pleased with the picture!

I had to use a good amount of lens shift to center it on my screen. Will this degrade the picture? Or does keystone only degrade the pic? In the user guide referring to lens shift it mentions using the home button, and I'm a little confused. If I use the home button does it just reset the lens shift to the factory location?

Lens shift does not do anything to affect the picture, however key stoning will. It is best to NOT use keystone at all if you don't have to.

As for the home button.. they just mean to press that first so that it goes back to the starting position, so that you know you are at the initial point before using lens shift.
mcallister likes this.
post #972 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Having tested Sony's Reality Creation engine (which I find rather harsh), I continue to be very impressed with Epson's image enhancement controls. I set mine at preset #3 and never touch it. It doesn't add noticeable noise to my eyes, and the amount of edge enhancement is very tolerable to my eyes, while adding substantial perceived detail to both Bluray and Cable Tv.

Hard to believe Epson can beat Sony at the image quality game.
royboy365 likes this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #973 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
Can i ask what your 3D settings are? Ive only watched Avatar and Tangled but not impressed with 3D to be honest. Ive played with settings but I seem to improve crosstalk for objects while causing more cross talk for objects at different depth/area of image. Also depth seems ok but I find the 3D a bit flat a lot of the times.
I'm using the ELPGS03 glasses for one. I honestly haven't changed many settings as far as 3D is concerned. The first 3D movie I watched was Enchanted Kingdom which is a slow moving animal documentary. Basically had all the 4K enhancements and FI on and it looked amazing. Then I put on CA: Civil War and started having major problems with all the jerky camera movements. I don't own Avatar but saw it a couple times in the theater and remember a few scenes were brutal in 3D because of the shaky camera. Like when that beast was chasing Sully under the tree towards the beginning. They need to realize 3D needs nice smooth cinematography to avoid giving people headaches. If you watched Pacific Rim you'll notice there's none of that shaky camera nonsense. They made a 3D movie right.

As far as 3D settings I left the depth on zero. I messed around with it a bit but like you said it does introduce a bit of crosstalk. One thing you can try is increasing the depth and then lowering the brightness of your glasses to medium to help counteract the crosstalk. Actually I just tried it out right now and it works pretty well. Still plenty bright and a bit deeper than the default 0. I may leave it like that

As for the rest.... 3D DYNAMIC, Power Consumption: High, Iris: High Speed. Most important thing was Image Processing: FAST FI and 4K enhancement off. I set Image preset to off but I didn't notice a difference whether it was on 1 or 5 or off. I tried googling and I don't even know what that does. Anyone?
post #974 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Image preset modes simply encompass presets for all the image enhancement settings. So, each image preset has a defined value for each of: noise reduction, mpeg noise reduction, super resolution, and detail enhancement.
I am not sure whether this has any effect on 3-D mode though. Have not tested.

post #975 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
As it stands now, even with a GTX 1080 with an i7 CPU it is difficult to game at maxed out 1440p. The best compromise currently is 1080p at max settings and this PJ will handle that just fine. I know the new Xbox is claiming it will do 4k but that is a pipe dream. We are at least 1-2 years from that being viable even on a high end PC. Fully utilized 1080p is the high end of the curve for this generation. By the time cards are ready to support gaming at 4k, there will be true 4k PJs to do it on.
I would just consider this projector as a 1080p projector with HDR for gaming. Which is actually quite good if you are OK with 60hz only.

You can also run the game on PC at some higher internal resolution to improve the final pixel details. But at UHD / 60 since it can only manage 420 in 8-bit, so that means no HDR at UHD for gaming (forget about 30hz for gaming).

Even if the projector could accept 4k / 60 / 444 in 8-bit, it wouldn't make that much difference on screen due to the fact that it's Faux-K.

The important thing is that this projector looks good playing back movies at UHD in HDR, without frame interpolation (if you are ok with that), and you can do HDR at 1080p for gaming (on PC or consoles) which is still a huge upgrade over SDR, no question.

And for those of us who want / need frame interpolation, the only way to do it is downgrade the resolution from UHD to 1080p using something like the HDRFury.

My biggest annoyance with this projector which makes it hard for me to bite, isn't the fact that it only has got 10 gbps inputs, it's the fact that it does, and it's not taken full advantage of.

The projector could easily accept 120hz for 2D, even with HDR10, in RGB over 10gbps, and the LCD panels and supporting electronics already manage 120hz (due to 3D Blurays + shutter glasses needing 120hz for two eyes instead of 60hz to function), so really it is a major goof that they didn't allow 120hz 1080p which the inputs can manage easily.

For gaming, that would have made it a "must buy" projector instead of a "shrug" for PC gaming at least (console HDR gaming is perfect, they can't typically only manage 60hz at best, although next year the new Xbox One could probably easily do 120hz 1080p).

If Epson is reading this : you will have many sales (at least one : myself) on your hands if you update the firmware to add 120hz input at 1080p in 8-bit SDR, or 96hz with HDR10. HDR is the reason to buy this projector, plus lowish lag, but for gamers we need higher refresh rates than 60hz and there is no technical reason not to provide it.

If that ever happens, then I'll buy it. It should totally be possible too, because HDMI 2.0 / 10gbp has 1080p / 120hz support officially in the spec and in the bandwidth limits, so whatever input chips this 5040 Epson model uses, it should be just a matter of exposing it in the EDID and activating that. This is less work than providing shutter-glasses-based Bluray 3D support, which it handles at 120hz and 1080p natively.
Haiej likes this.
post #976 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by canillo View Post
OMG!!! please listen to our fellow members..look at costa rica in 4k and snow monkeys of japan5k...it looks Amazing..best content Ive seen from this projector.....including 4k movies ... and its not even t2020...

If you guys want to be impressed go to YouTube: SAMSUNG 4K DEMO AROUND THE WORLD

Prepared to be amazed!

post #977 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So with my 1080 at 4k resolution I'm getting 40ish to 50 frames, Ocd a little but still wanna test more. Running deus ex, msaa off obviously. What about you guys situ 1080s, what are you getting so far or what's the best you've seen for frames?
post #978 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
I have an ND2 filter and I am liking what it does to this bright projector. It lowers black levels further with a small sacrifice in brightness.
Had you already tried closing down the iris as far as possible?

It's funny how the argument keep swinging back-and-forth from this project isn't bright enough to it's so bright that it's giving me headaches.
post #979 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Had you already tried closing down the iris as far as possible?

It's funny how the argument keep swinging back-and-forth from this project isn't bright enough to it's so bright that it's giving me headaches.

SDR = plenty bright
HDR = a little less bright

It's just taking some time to dial in to personal preference.
post #980 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
If you guys want to be impressed go to YouTube: SAMSUNG 4K DEMO AROUND THE WORLD
https://youtu.be/u9lwcRffq7c

Prepared to be amazed!

Yeah man, that really shows off the projector. Its sad switching back over to Cable TV and seeing such a crappy image when you know what the projector is capable of. Just not enough good 4K out there at the moment.
gnolivos likes this.
post #981 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm trying to send 4K via Plex but the Epson shows its as 1080 res in the info screen. How are you guys sending youtube 4K videos to the projector?

Can it be done with Plex? Plex shows its a 4k file etc but when playing Epson info just shows 1080p.
post #982 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some screenies for my peeps on the fence...

iPhone 6 unretouched. Only cropped.

Haiej likes this.

Last edited by gnolivos; 09-24-2016 at 12:39 PM.
post #983 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 109

Most 4K players have the 4K YouTube App (Samsung, Panasonic, Phillips and ROKU).

Last edited by Kelvin1000; 09-24-2016 at 01:32 PM.
post #984 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
NICE! And that's with an AT screen!

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #985 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post
NICE! And that's with an AT screen!

And the iPhone had trouble focusing on the dark. It's actually sharper than these look I promise.
Ronman79 and Haiej like this.

post #986 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey all,
Just a heads up for those of you using the Xbox One S. Received an update last night and I am now getting HDR but only up to 8bit if I remember correctly but it is a start. Unless my memory is really failing and that was already there then that is good news.
A little help from everyone if I may...I also have the Philips player and through both the Xbox and Philips I dont seem to be able to get Youtube in 4k. I can search the 4k videos but when I play them the little badge still shows HD. Am I missing a setting somewhere as this is driving me crazy.....wanna see the snow monkeys, is that too much to ask
Thanks in advance.
Haiej likes this.
post #987 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapfsr View Post
Hey all,

Just a heads up for those of you using the Xbox One S. Received an update last night and I am now getting HDR but only up to 8bit if I remember correctly but it is a start. Unless my memory is really failing and that was already there then that is good news.

A little help from everyone if I may...I also have the Philips player and through both the Xbox and Philips I dont seem to be able to get Youtube in 4k. I can search the 4k videos but when I play them the little badge still shows HD. Am I missing a setting somewhere as this is driving me crazy.....wanna see the snow monkeys, is that too much to ask

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the Philips player is playing 4K even if the badge says HD. Just Check your projector info screen. It should say 2160x......

post #988 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I just tested this with an Xbox one s that I got today. Going straight from the Xbox to the projector it now says that I can play hdr, looking at 4k details it says that it supports hdr but not 10 bit. I put in a blu-ray however (lego movie uhd) and got a popup that hdr isn't supported. Is anyone else having issues? Also the Netflix app isn't going above 1080p even though I'm getting 60mbps down
post #989 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Yeah I tested it with the 4K player. Looked as good as those high end Samsung 4K tvs I am not kidding.
Direct TV has a 4K player or were you talking about the YouTube video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy365 View Post
Thank you every one for your replies. It sounds like cheesenbizkitz is experiencing what I am but the rest of you are not. I'm finding it distracting enough that I haven't been using 4k Enhancement unless I'm playing a UHD disk as the PQ is pretty phenomenal without it.

I've decided instead of sending it back to Amazon for a refund, I contacted Epson and they are shipping me a new replacement unit that I'll get in a couple of days and then I'll ship this one back to them. No charge for shipping either direction.

Hopefully there will be a difference. I'll report back if the replacement is better or not. If it is better then cheesenbizkitz may want to do the same.
I'm assuming the sound is caused by whatever mechanism is used to shift the pixels back-and-forth rapidly.
post #990 of 17554 Old 09-24-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Viche I was referring to the Phillips UHD 4K player, not DirecTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page