Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26949Likes

Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The standard’s recommended EOTF can be used during custom calibration, as the projector manufacturers cannot tell what the luminance will be.
makes sense. Are you able to figure out all the math? The example that Zoyd provided was for a max luminance of 540. But what would the greyscale targets be for max luminance of say 100?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So does anyone know of a few good scenes in 3D across movies to show off to friends? That really showcases it?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
makes sense. Are you able to figure out all the math? The example that Zoyd provided was for a max luminance of 540. But what would the greyscale targets be for max luminance of say 100?
No, the math is beyond me. Presumably the next version of HCFR will incorporate support for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
The choice of 3D glasses matters with this PJ. Aside from the expensive Epson glasses. The Valueview, (very fragile because two pairs equal two broken pairs for me. I am using rubber bands for now until I replace them. The other glasses that my better half likes are the Samsung glasses sold on Amazon. They have worked well and are built to last.
I am using the Epson glasses, so I don't think that is the cause. The replacement is arriving tomorrow. Going to put it on top of a few boxes and test it out before removing my current unit from its ceiling mount. Hopefully, the refurb doesn't have any issues (i.e. marred casing, scratched lens, etc.)

On a side note, my linker shipped today from monoprice....lol.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase1981 View Post
Upload your linker settings.... Also would be good to reset your linker, install 19a firmware and re do the settings.
also position it from avr short 6ft cable to linker, then linker long cable to prj (high speed cables)
Is there a reason why the cable has to be 6' and the linker close to the receiver? Couldn't I just go receiver ->25' HDMI->Linker->3' HDMI->Projector ? I can then hide the linker above the projector and it's easy to access if I need to mess with it.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecoscia View Post
Is there a reason why the cable has to be 6' and the linker close to the receiver? Couldn't I just go receiver ->25' HDMI->Linker->3' HDMI->Projector ? I can then hide the linker above the projector and it's easy to access if I need to mess with it.
Wondering this to cause I ordered an 8ft with the linker
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally figured out why my projector had an internal error. After inspecting the top board, I finally took the under board hardware/rails off, and long an behold a burnt SIL HDMI chip, and what looks to be a burnt eeprom chip.

It is clearly burnt off HDMI input 1, although the connector, and other traces appear well. I'm not sure if this was a random power surge/component failure, or if the heat from the bandwidth these things run caused it to fry, but it looks dead. Epson doesn't release schematics, so it maybe tough to fix, but I've ordered the burnt Sil chip, and have yet to figure out what type of IC the 8 pin burnt chip is. Any idea?
Of course I will check all the traces, and other components in the chain, but hard without schematics. I bought a refurbished projector with a warranty and will use that board to do my comparisons to.

I'm concerned that if this was not a random failure of a component (none that I could trace) to the power supply, why would it die/burn this bad?

Could this be a result of the heat from maxing out the HDMI input 1 - linked to both Sil chips (Burnt one is SIL9679CNUC)?
Hdmi 2 does not appear to trace to the burnt Sil chip

Just a caution to all of you that are maxing the bandwidth/HDR/etc and pushing the projector to its max.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2318900  

Last edited by Diezzler; 11-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbrodeur87 View Post
So does anyone know of a few good scenes in 3D across movies to show off to friends? That really showcases it?
Top for me is IMAX Under the Sea 3D Bluray, go to the potato cod scene, freeze frame on the potato cod and let viewer's eyes adjust. It's the most amazing popout 3D I've ever seen. If anyone has seen any 3D scene that can touch this please post as I'd be interested.
terminal33 and john barlow like this.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Alright Guys. So I dialed in some settings from using the R. Masciola HDR10 suite. Keep in mind I'm using a Cinegrey 5d screen so my settings will be nothing like yours if you're using a white screen, but hot damn! I'm done. I found exactly the settings I like for all my HDR movies here. The Masciola suite is clutch for black, white, and color clipping settings. After that's done you'll be stunned!!!
What exact patterns do you use for black, white, grayscale, and colour etc as looking at this suite there are loads!

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite
Old 11-21-2017, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi everyone! Im new to projectors and to this site. I have a few questions. my first projector was a viewsonic 2878. an ok entry level projector. I originally bought it as a T.V. replacement. I ended up giving that to a family member. Next I've recently bought the epson 2150. the image is way better then the viewsonic. I still have the epson now and I love it so far. Im projecting to a 110" screen with elite screens cinegrey 3d material. everything's fine but, I cant seem to take my eyes off the epson 5040ub or 4000. Now Im projecting in a relatively small space. The rooms only about 13x12 feet and more of a "man cave" than a home theater. white sealing, and grey walls. light is controlled for the most part.

questions.
1: Is it worth it to upgrade from the epson 2150 to the 5040ub or 4000?
2: Can the 5040ub/4000 be used as a everyday TV or PC monitor?
3: does the 5040/4000 have a way to zoom or stretch 21:9 video. (I Hate black bars). Rather have a distorted 16:9 video.
4: would anyone recommend a different Projector for someone with my setup or will the 5040ub/4000 do just fine.
5: whats the difference between the 5040ub and the 4000?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Top for me is IMAX Under the Sea 3D Bluray, go to the potato cod scene, freeze frame on the potato cod and let viewer's eyes adjust. It's the most amazing popout 3D I've ever seen. If anyone has seen any 3D scene that can touch this please post as I'd be interested.
Awesome to hear, gonna be buying this today, any idea exactly what scene number this is or time stamp? So I can find it easily?

I’d love to hear others mention there’s as well.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Awesome to hear, gonna be buying this today, any idea exactly what scene number this is or time stamp? So I can find it easily?

I’d love to hear others mention there’s as well.
I use Turtles Tale to demo 3D
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite
Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperlogic View Post
Any good scenes to point to? And is that the first one or second one?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I am using the Epson glasses, so I don't think that is the cause. The replacement is arriving tomorrow. Going to put it on top of a few boxes and test it out before removing my current unit from its ceiling mount. Hopefully, the refurb doesn't have any issues (i.e. marred casing, scratched lens, etc.)

On a side note, my linker shipped today from monoprice....lol.

Been through this same issue and saw the same things on Rogue One. Epson shipped a new unit and it was worse.
My issue was the Blu-ray player. Switched to the Sony X800 and it was solved. Before switching players, I swapped glasses, 3 different cables, and bypassing the AVR. The cables and glasses did make a difference in clarity, but the ghosting was solved through the new player.
With tweaking the Epson settings, it’s great! My family says it’s better than the theater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Epson 6040UB; Marantz AV8801; B&K THX 30; Sony UBP-X800; Snell Signature C7 speakers; Snell ICS 24 sub; Stewart 1.1 110"
inspector likes this.

Epson 6040UB
Marantz 8801
B&K THX System 30
Sony UDP-X800
Snell Signature C7 speakers
Snell ICS 24 sub
Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:

I’ll need to try these. The one I use is the beginning of Dr. Strange. Now I have the projector dialed in, the chase through London and the buildings shifting is amazing.

Epson 6040UB; Marantz AV8801; B&K THX 30; Sony UBP-X800; Snell Signature C7 speakers; Snell ICS 24 sub; Stewart 1.1 110"

Epson 6040UB
Marantz 8801
B&K THX System 30
Sony UDP-X800
Snell ICS 24 sub
Old 11-21-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Quote:
Wondering this to cause I ordered an 8ft with the linker
Based on HDFURY rep on this forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Best place is more likely here:

SOURCES > DENON > 25 ft > Linker > 6ft > Epson. use Linker quick preset to select the EPSON profil depending if you are connecting wired or wireless.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
here you go:
Can we make this a sticky at the beginning of the thread? It would get a lot of the new users up and running a lot faster.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
here you go:
I don't see Oledurts latest HDR Bright Cinema settings from this post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post54712474 in that doc which he said supersedes all other settings

Old 11-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezzler View Post
Finally figured out why my projector had an internal error. After inspecting the top board, I finally took the under board hardware/rails off, and long an behold a burnt SIL HDMI chip, and what looks to be a burnt eeprom chip.

It is clearly burnt off HDMI input 1, although the connector, and other traces appear well. I'm not sure if this was a random power surge/component failure, or if the heat from the bandwidth these things run caused it to fry, but it looks dead. Epson doesn't release schematics, so it maybe tough to fix, but I've ordered the burnt Sil chip, and have yet to figure out what type of IC the 8 pin burnt chip is. Any idea?
Of course I will check all the traces, and other components in the chain, but hard without schematics. I bought a refurbished projector with a warranty and will use that board to do my comparisons to.

I'm concerned that if this was not a random failure of a component (none that I could trace) to the power supply, why would it die/burn this bad?

Could this be a result of the heat from maxing out the HDMI input 1 - linked to both Sil chips (Burnt one is SIL9679CNUC)?
Hdmi 2 does not appear to trace to the burnt Sil chip

Just a caution to all of you that are maxing the bandwidth/HDR/etc and pushing the projector to its max.
Nice find, and that sucks. Are you already out of warranty or did you not buy it from an authorized dealer or something?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schamber View Post
Been through this same issue and saw the same things on Rogue One. Epson shipped a new unit and it was worse.
My issue was the Blu-ray player. Switched to the Sony X800 and it was solved. Before switching players, I swapped glasses, 3 different cables, and bypassing the AVR. The cables and glasses did make a difference in clarity, but the ghosting was solved through the new player.
With tweaking the Epson settings, it’s great! My family says it’s better than the theater.

I picked up a Panny UB900 over the summer thinking it would be the player least likely to have issues. What player were you using before the x800. I would hate to pick up a new player, but it is only $150, and I would much rather switch the player then swap out my projector for a refurb. My refurb arrives tonight, going to play around with it this weekend and see if there is any difference in crosstalk. If not, I'm sending the refurb back.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I picked up a Panny UB900 over the summer thinking it would be the player least likely to have issues. What player were you using before the x800. I would hate to pick up a new player, but it is only $150, and I would much rather switch the player then swap out my projector for a refurb. My refurb arrives tonight, going to play around with it this weekend and see if there is any difference in crosstalk. If not, I'm sending the refurb back.

It was an older Samsung J7500. The UB900 should be fine, so it does imply a projector issue.
One of the senior tech support at Epson is tracking the players and these issues. Believe his name is Courtney. Seems like it was Oledurt who posted an email from him and his contact info in one the early posts on this forum. He was one of the most helpful techs and very knowledgeable on these issues.

Epson 6040UB
Marantz 8801
B&K THX System 30
Sony UDP-X800
Snell ICS 24 sub
Old 11-22-2017, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
I don't see Oledurts latest HDR Bright Cinema settings from this post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post54712474 in that doc which he said supersedes all other settings
Part of the issue may be that there are multiple versions here. I will try to delete the older ones and point to this post.

Here is the latest version (the last one incorrectly indicated oledurt's v.2 Bright Cinema setting used 50 for brightness instead of 40.)

Most importantly, a big shout out and thank you to oledurt, Dave Harper and all the other users who have posted their settings here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50406040settings.11.22.pdf (68.1 KB, 1833 views)
exm, eleazar, jpgfontes and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ht guy; 11-22-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:59 AM

Spent some time last night trying to calibrate HDR on my Epson 5040 using Ryan Masciola's HDR patterns, HCFR 3.4.5 (Rec2020 and SMPTE 2084) and i1d3 meter. Projector set to Bright Cinema, HDR1 (aka Auto bright), medium lamp. Did brightness, contrast and 2 point grayscale all of which seems to be ok. What should the gamma curve be like for our projectors, should it track closely to SMPTE 2084?

I then did RGBYCM using his 50/50 pattern. Was able to get all 50/50 reference points bar Green. That is miles off. Also can be seen that the other green and cyan points are miles off also. What could be causing this or is it limitation of the projector for HDR?

I then played some 4K HDR content and was far from impressed. There was no "pop". Looked like just a normal 1080p SDR image to be honest!

I then loaded in Oledurts Bright Cinema and Digital Cinema HDR settings to see what the 4K HDR content looked like, and it was pretty much the same, no real pop, with digital cinema being darker. In checking both the info on the projector it is receiving 2020 HDR content and UHD player (Panasonic UB400) is sending 2020 HDR.

Post calibration and reviewing the HCFR chc, I see that 80, 90 and 100 grayscale have the same Y of 34.5 ftl (118 nits). Do I need to adjust contrast to resolve that?

Last edited by viperlogic; 11-22-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by schamber View Post
I’ll need to try these. The one I use is the beginning of Dr. Strange. Now I have the projector dialed in, the chase through London and the buildings shifting is amazing.

What setting are you using when watching 3D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-22-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Can anyone confirm yet if the Xbox One X is doing native 4K and not upscaled 4K without the Linker since Microsoft released a new update? Not sure if I want to open the Linker I purchased. I’m not real concerned about HDR with gaming because I think it actually dims the color and overall brightness. I bought the Linker only because I thought that was the only way to get native 4K with the One X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-22-2017, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just bought the HD Fury Linker primarily to get HDR on the Xbox One X. Some questions:

Is there only one model of the HDFury Linker which I just need to worry about getting the firmware updated on (i.e. there is no Version 2 of the HD Fury Linker for example)? Do I take it to the latest firmware ASAP.

When I hook it up, since I already have a CAT 6 with Binary 540 - do I - connect the HDFury Linker after the 540. I other words, the HDMI from the Binary 540, going into the AVM60, now goes into the HD Fury Linker and then the HD Fury Linker's HDMI goes into the AVM60 or?

What can I expect from this device?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
Did you update to newest firmware...
Fixed my ghosting issues...

https://epson.com/Support/wa00805

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Newest firmware made no difference with ghosting on my 6040. Be sure to try your 3D content over multiple viewing sessions. I have found that ghosting varies even on the same titles between viewings. You may change a setting and think the ghosting has gone away, but try the same scene in that same movie the next day, and the ghosting is back.

UPDATE: I wanted to set the record straight on this issue - Setting Auto Iris to OFF completely eliminated all ghosting that I was seeing! 3D is now spectacular on this projector!!!

Last edited by seplant; 05-23-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Do you have a link to the bulb you purchased?
Turns out the price was too good to be true. I couldn't get tracking for the replacement bulb and then received this email today.

Sent from my Galaxy Note8 using Tapatalk

Epson 5040UBe, 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge 7 Screen 1.4 gain with LEDs
Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
Klipsch Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 surround sound
Old 11-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Looks like PCnation is the best bet for 234.99 with no tax and free expedited shipping

Sent from my Galaxy Note8 using Tapatalk

Epson 5040UBe, 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge 7 Screen 1.4 gain with LEDs
Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
Klipsch Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 surround sound
Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

Post calibration and reviewing the HCFR chc, I see that 80, 90 and 100 grayscale have the same Y of 34.5 ftl (118 nits). Do I need to adjust contrast to resolve that?
Hey Viper! What kind of screen do you use? How do you get 34.5 ftl/118 nits out of this projector?
Bright cinema only outputs 61 nits with my gray screen (it should be a 0.8/0.9 gain screen - lamp on medium)...
Do you use the projector in a dark room? I use mine with Eco mode in a dark room and get 16 ftl with Natural on SDR. Isn't 35 ftl too much for a dark room?
I would like to hear you impressions...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5040ub power , atmos