Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26939Likes

post #1411 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well, Visions Canada has the 5040UB in their Vancouver warehouse ready for order (although it's still not listed on their website).

I showed one of the store managers the Eastporters quote and they reluctantly matched the 4300 CAD price point. The Visions store manager called Epson CAD before agreeing with the price match. There was more said about Eastporters pricing and their relationship with Epson Canada, but I don't wish to post this information.

I wanted to purchase locally as opposed to somewhere else.

Looks like I'll place my order with Visions later this week...

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver

Last edited by Number05; 10-04-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Nothing but Oppo for me though. Once you go Oppo, you aren't likely to ever use another player. They are going to sell a ton of them pretty soon.
Oppo is good but they still need to bring their product to market at a competitive rate likely (e.g. lower than $399) otherwise many here will simply buy the Phillips at the $250 price point.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #1413 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9000 View Post
I played some 4K HDR blu-rays through my Samsung UBD-K8500. The 4K HDR does look much darker. I saw some posts that mentioned switching to HDR1, but I don’t find that either in the menu. Any suggestions?
K8500 and the Epson don't really work together
the K8500 isn't able to output something different than 4:4:4 which exceeds the 10Gbit limit of the Epson HDMI input circuits. Therefore the data is reduced to 8bits and screws up the whole color/gamma stuff completely.

in my opinion it's impossible to get an acceptable picture quality with the Samsung/Epson couple (via HDMI wire, the wireless transmission seems to work), regardless of the settings! Even if you manage to get a "bright" picture by dirty tricks, the picture looks odd (gamma, contrast etc. nothing fits).

i owned a Samsung myself and swapped it for the Panasonic UB900 which works perfectly fine without any fancy adjustments.
unfortunately the Philips/Funai Player is not available her in Germany (yet), for now we have to choose between Samsung/Panasonic...
Haiej likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Oppo is good but they still need to bring their product to market at a competitive rate likely (e.g. lower than $399) otherwise many here will simply buy the Phillips at the $250 price point.

Everything I can see has the OPPO at 499.

If it does some of the functions that the hdfury does as has been reported, than the OPPO will be ordered immediately. I've waited because I have confidence they will get it right.
Ronman79 likes this.
post #1415 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Well, Visions Canada has the 5040UB in their Vancouver warehouse ready for order (although it's still not listed on their website).

I showed one of the store managers the Eastporters quote and they reluctantly matched the 4300 CAD price point. The Visions store manager called Epson CAD before agreeing with the price match. There was more said about Eastporters pricing and their relationship with Epson Canada, but I don't wish to post this information.

I wanted to purchase locally as opposed to somewhere else.

Looks like I'll place my order with Visions later this week...
Kinda funny, don't you think? Looking at your signature, it seems to me that you may have purchased from Eastporters before. While Visions is now your new found love because they are local, through this process of them "matching" the price of Eastporters, Visions is trying nothing but to kill a credible competitor in the projector market by complaining to Epson Canada about Eastporters pricing. Epson Canada, while by the way, has a ridiculous pricing on the 5040ub to begin with, if you compare with the US pricing, but you already knew all of it.

To me, if a big company like Visions has to reluctantly resort to match a quote (not even beating it), it really is a disservice to Eastporters who gave you a quote, with all the best intent without trying to match. Guess what, if you now go to Eastporters and ask them to get better, they will perhaps give you some small discount on top of what you've already received. How far can you take it?

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 10-04-2016 at 12:35 PM.
post #1416 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Kinda funny, don't you think? Looking at your signature, it seems to me that you have purchased from Eastporters before. While Visions is now your new found love because they are local, through this process of them "matching" the price of Eastporters, Visions is trying nothing but to kill a credible competitor in the projector market by complaining to Epson Canada. Epson Canada, while by the way, has a ridiculous pricing on the 5040ub to begin with, if you compare with the US pricing, but you already knew all of it.

To me, if a big company like Visions has to reluctantly match a quote, it really is a disservice to Eastporters who gave you a quote, with all the best intent without trying to match. Guess what, if you now go to Eastporters and ask them to get better, they will perhaps give you some small discount on top of what you've already received.
Nope, not at all - never purchased from them at all.

Don't assume.

I'd gladly purchase from Eastporters if they offered financing; Which they don't.

Epson 3700 | 106" EluneVision Screen | Paradigm Cinema 100 CT cinema speakers | Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
post #1417 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Nope, not at all - never purchased from them at all.

Don't assume.
Then why contacting them and get a quote? And you didn't even do that?

PS pardon me for my outburst. When a company like Eastporters, who are well discussed in these forums as a retailer providing great pricing on otherwise out of reach projectors, seem to get the flak from manufacturers like Epson (who force a pricing on consumers), it seems unfair. Eastporters might as well be forced to be out of Epson's business by going against their agreement. Yes I bought a few products from Eastporters. My experience with them has not been fully ideal, but I respect their competitive pricing.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 10-04-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #1418 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Well we won't get into the plethora of features that Oppo players have over other players, their build quality, their history of longevity, their great warranty, resale value, stellar customer support, etc...
I think their new player will offer some features that other UHD players do not, but the same principles still apply to the same comparisons to earlier models of their players. They always offer more for the price paid. To some it's worth it and to others it's not.
Many people who own or plan to own the new Epson and JVC projectors will find the new Oppo to be the perfect companion player.
post #1419 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Many people who own or plan to own the new Epson and JVC projectors will find the new Oppo to be the perfect companion player.
Fingers crossed.
post #1420 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Well we won't get into the plethora of features that Oppo players have over other players, their build quality, their history of longevity, their great warranty, resale value, stellar customer support, etc...
I think their new player will offer some features that other UHD players do not, but the same principles still apply to the same comparisons to earlier models of their players. They always offer more for the price paid. To some it's worth it and to others it's not.
I paid the top price for an OPPO several years ago and five years later could not play some selections because it could not handle security implemented with branching (lionsgate). I got rid of it and won't buy another.
post #1421 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I currently have an Epson 5030ub and was wondering if the 5040 was really worth it? Are the differences significant between the models? Keep the 5030, get the 5040, or get the 6040?
post #1422 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

PS pardon me for my outburst. When a company like Eastporters, who are well discussed in these forums as a retailer providing great pricing on otherwise out of reach projectors, seem to get the flak from manufacturers like Epson (who force a pricing on consumers), it seems unfair. Eastporters might as well be forced to be out of Epson's business by going against their agreement. Yes I bought a few products from Eastporters. My experience with them has not been fully ideal, but I respect their competitive pricing.

I love Eastporters.. I recently just decided to buy the JVC DLA-X550 from them (RS400). After all the current Epson issues, the JVC was a no brainer. I have had 2 JVCs in the past (both from Eastporters) and I have loved each of them with no problems at all. They have fantastic pricing without the crazy markups. They had the 550 (RS 400) on sale for $3800 CDN ($2880 US) with FREE shipping!!
post #1423 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I paid the top price for an OPPO several years ago and five years later could not play some selections because it could not handle security implemented with branching (lionsgate). I got rid of it and won't buy another.
You gotta be kidding me right? How is it the fault of the OEM that the authorization of seamless branching with Dolby TrueHD was implemented AFTER the player was manufactured? Oppo even tried to fix the issue but couldn't because the older hardware could not do the necessary processing. Not only that, but you leave the part out where you can simply use PCM output instead of bitstream and the audio still worked just fine and sounded identical. It's just a matter of decoding the audio in the player instead of the AVR.
Then there is the fact that the player was 5 YEARS OLD, lol (3 years past it's 2 year warranty).
With a market that changes continuously, the fact that it was great for 5 years is a pretty good time span,
and it still functioned perfectly with the only caveat is that it could not handle certain aspects of certain discs because their
encoding structure was changed YEARS after the player was manufactured.
Now, just as a comparative example, go buy one of the UHD players on the market right now and then see how great it is 5 years from now.
Most OEMs drop support like a hot potato within a year and Oppo essentially supports their products for life.
post #1424 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just want to thank whoever mentioned giving Best Buy a try. I talked to a salesman in the Magnolia section and got him to reduce the price to account for sales tax (so final price would be same as buying over the internet). There are no 5040's in stock in all of Houston so they are overnighting the projector to me from Ohio (for free) and I should have it tomorrow. The big reason I did this though was to sign up for the rewards program and get 10% rewards back on the first purchase... by my estimation the points should be in my account well before black Friday so I can use them to pick up either the Philips UHD or game console if I decide to hold out for the Oppo. I may get the Philips player anyway and sell it after the Oppo starts supporting 4k/HDR streaming of Netflix etc.... I don't have anything else that can stream 4k and not sure how long I'll want to wait.

My screen is supposed to arrive tomorrow as well so might be a couple days before it's all hooked up, will come back and post impressions when I do. This will be my first projector, coming from a 6 year old Samsung plasma, I'm not expecting that level of quality but am excited for the theater experience of a 150" screen with 7.2.4 atmos!
post #1425 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripsy666 View Post
I love Eastporters.. I recently just decided to buy the JVC DLA-X550 from them (RS400). After all the current Epson issues, the JVC was a no brainer. I have had 2 JVCs in the past (both from Eastporters) and I have loved each of them with no problems at all. They have fantastic pricing without the crazy markups. They had the 550 (RS 400) on sale for $3800 CDN ($2880 US) with FREE shipping!!
Careful buddy. This is an official 5040 forum, also read as, hate any mention of anything JVC, irrespective of how weak the Epsons' price to performance ratio is compared to some well established makes and models. Of course there's another thread where things have been discussed to death about this. I especially have to scratch my head for Canadians pursuing the 5040, but this is not the place to discuss this.
Cripsy666 and gagost like this.
post #1426 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josuah View Post
I can confirm the Philips BDP7501 will play 4K Blu-ray at BT.2020 4:2:0 10-bit HDR with the Epson 5040UB. I'm not sure about 4K HDR Netflix from the BDP7501. Someone else will have to answer that.
Strange. According to the chart below, 4k 24fps 4:2:0 10-bit isn't a format that HDMI will accept. Does the Phillips send it as 4:4:4 8-bit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI_data_rates.png
Views:	187
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1699633  
post #1427 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
[QUOTE=Smarty-pants;47252689]You gotta be kidding me right? How is it the fault of the OEM that the authorization of seamless branching with Dolby TrueHD was implemented AFTER the player was manufactured? Oppo even tried to fix the issue but couldn't because the older hardware could not do the necessary processing. Not only that, but you leave the part out where you can simply use PCM output instead of bitstream and the audio still worked just fine and sounded identical. It's just a matter of decoding the audio in the player instead of the AVR.
Then there is the fact that the player was 5 YEARS OLD, lol (3 years past it's 2 year warranty).
With a market that changes continuously, the fact that it was great for 5 years is a pretty good time span,
and it still functioned perfectly with the only caveat is that it could not handle certain aspects of certain discs because their
encoding structure was changed YEARS after the player was manufactured.
Now, just as a comparative example, go buy one of the UHD players on the market right now and then see how great it is 5 years from now.
Most OEMs drop support like a hot potato within a year and Oppo essentially supports their products for life.[/QUOT

Sorry to offend you. I was disappointed enough to swear off the brand. I bought a Sony for less than 20% of the premium Oppo price and it played everything and streams all still 5 years later. I'll see what UHD unit I buy but it won't be an Oppo. To each their own.
post #1428 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Features can be worth additional value and thus a higher price. That was why I said $399 rather than thinking that they would need to be closer to the $250 street price of the Phillips. It's all just WAG right now anyway. Sure wish they would at least provide an announcement date even if it is "Christmas '16".

Panasonic's UB900 is a good example of where they COMPLETELY missed the pricing target and now they are scrambling to put out a more reasonably priced alternative so that they have a viable product. I think under $400 will get Oppo as much business as they can handle. $499 will get them fewer buyers as those people will just pick up the Phillips. $699 will limit their buyers to only those also considering the Panasonic. Most, who have the choice, have already voted with their wallets that the Panny is not THAT much better than the Phillips so many of those are buying the more economical Phillips units.
Ronman79 likes this.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-04-2016 at 03:11 PM.
post #1429 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

Sorry to offend you. I was disappointed enough to swear off the brand. I bought a Sony for less than 20% of the premium Oppo price and it played everything and streams all still 5 years later. I'll see what UHD unit I buy but it won't be an Oppo. To each their own.
Lol, I'm not offended, just posting information. Your reasoning for not using a brand (whether it's Oppo or any other brand)
isn't justified by the product not working with something that wasn't even invented until years after the player was manufactured.
Yes to each their own decision and choice but other readers deserve to know the facts surrounding your claims since you didn't post them.
ndabunka, shepdog and royboy365 like this.
post #1430 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6734 Post(s)
Liked: 7869
Quote:
Lol, I'm not offended, just posting information. Your reasoning for not using a brand (whether it's Oppo or any other brand)
isn't justified by the product not working with something that wasn't even invented until years after the player was manufactured.
Yes to each their own decision and choice but other readers deserve to know the facts surrounding your claims since you didn't post them.
Oppo has been the most reliable BR player I've ever owned, and they update firmware when needed. I wouldn't own anything else at this point ( had a BDP 83 for ears, and now a BDP 103 ). Bought it after my first BR player - a Panasonic - died 2 months out of warranty. I've never looked back. I'm looking forward to the 4K player later this year!
post #1431 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Features can be worth additional value and thus a higher price. That was why I said $399 rather than thinking that they would need to be closer to the $250 street price of the Phillips. It's all just WAG right now anyway. Sure wish they would at least provide an announcement date even if it is "Christmas '16".

Panasonic's UB900 is a good example of where they COMPLETELY missed the pricing target and now they are scrambling to put out a more reasonably priced alternative so that they have a viable product. I think under $400 will get Oppo as much business as they can handle. $499 will get them fewer buyers as those people will just pick up the Phillips. $699 will limit their buyers to only those also considering the Panasonic. Most, who have the choice, have already voted with their wallets that the Panny is not THAT much better than the Phillips so many of those are buying the more economical Phillips units.
Oppo doesn't do street dates. They develop their products and when they are ready for consumer use, then they go up for sale.
I find it offensive that other OEMs release their products with major flaws and bugs, then proceed to attempt to fix those issues
off the backs of paying customers who act as beta testers (if such bugs ever get fixed at all).
Yes there are always some bugs with every product, but many OEMs will release products with known major issues
just to get it out and get money in their pockets.
Oppo doesn't do that, and in the past they have kept quiet until the product is ready, then release it with little to no advanced
announcement. Then of course people say why didn't you give us any info before you released it, lol.
They always want it both ways, but in the modern world of engineering and product development, it doesn't always work that way,
and OEMs want to get it out asap so the technology can be used and not outdated by the time it's released.

So you want Oppo to give you a release date of "Christmas" and then what if it's ready in November?
The release date would then be pointless if they released it early.
On the other hand if it is delayed do to software engineering bugs that took longer to fix than anticipated,
and it doesn't get released until January, then you'll be mad because they didn't hit their projected date.

Yes if Oppo prices their player lower they will get more sales. That is true for ANY product, but isn't necessary when they know
how much business they will already get, how their product compares to others on the market, and how willing people are to
pay whatever they reasonably ask for a player that is better than all the rest.
That's like saying a high end pre-amp that sells for $2000 should have been priced at $1000 because they would have sold more.
Oppo is priced a bit higher than most players because they are simply better on many levels.
No one is forced to pay the asking price, but pretty much everyone will want one. It's going to be quite good.
I was actually surprised when Oppo said the price would tentatively be $499. I honestly thought it would be higher.

In all seriousness though, I am sure we are likely to get a nudge from the mods soon for being off topic,
so maybe take future comments about the Oppo UDP-203 to the 203 anticipation thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...on-thread.html
post #1432 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Can someone give me an example of how the Blanking option would be useful?

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1433 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree it should be in that thread so I will end my comments on it in this thread and pick them up over there.

post #1434 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 198
and the thread is back to poo slinging again
gnolivos, Viche, ccotenj and 2 others like this.
post #1435 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So it's confirmed the Xbox One S doesn't work with the 5040?
post #1436 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned, I would of gone with Eastporters, but Visions offer's the financing. I have used Best Buy in the past due to this too.

I am not knocking Eastporters, I just don't have a spare 5k+ sitting in my back wallet as of today. If I could spread payments over a year, it's works for me.

Last edited by Number05; 10-04-2016 at 06:59 PM.
post #1437 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
It is not passing HDR correctly. It may or may not be updated. But the XB1 S has other flaws, including not supporting bitstream output so no Atmos support. As a UHD player it is not the best option currently. The HDR issues may be fixed via firmware but it will never support bitstream, that's just not how the XB1 works. In my opinion, one should wait for the Scorpio as it pertains to gaming and buy a different player in the meantime.
post #1438 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
It works, I'm using it as my main viewing device for this projector. It just doesn't detect HDR properly, so won't output it.
4k/60hz works, UHD blu rays play perfectly and Netflix 4K streaming works just all without HDR.
Troy LaMont and Josuah like this.
post #1439 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I can confirm that the latest firmware 1.05 handles motorized lens shift differently than v 1.03. In a good way.

Before, changing directions left/right or up/down was erratic. Now it's much more controlled.
Viche likes this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1440 of 17868 Old 10-04-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I can confirm that the latest firmware 1.05 handles motorized lens shift differently than v 1.03. In a good way.

Before, changing directions left/right or up/down was erratic. Now it's much more controlled.
Aa Ha. Good to know. Thanks for sharing..
gnolivos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page