Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26949Likes

post #1441 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Oppo is good but they still need to bring their product to market at a competitive rate likely (e.g. lower than $399) otherwise many here will simply buy the Phillips at the $250 price point.

Maybe some will but that's like saying Mercedes should price the E class to compete with the Accord. Oppo is a top tier product so I don't think they feel they need to compete at the same price point. I don't remember much of the specs on the new unit but I would imagine there is additional value to warrant it. Much of that maybe the fact it will probably work flawlessly out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Viche and ccotenj like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenbizkitz View Post
It works, I'm using it as my main viewing device for this projector. It just doesn't detect HDR properly, so won't output it.
4k/60hz works, UHD blu rays play perfectly and Netflix 4K streaming works just all without HDR.
But no handshake issues or anything? Yea I knew about the hdr situation, but 4k video still looks stunning correct using it?

I'm more of a Pc gamer so scorpio isn't something I'd buy, to the guy above. But I do want right now a good 4k player, the perk to the S is I still do play halo so it'd mainly just be used for halo gaming as Pc and ps4 are my main game platforms

If HDR is the only thing it lacks and atmos support, is that a deal breaker for most? I mean the standalones aren't impressing me much either, cept the 700 dollar Panasonic but I just can't buy into that much for a standalone
post #1443 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Can someone give me an example of how the Blanking option would be useful?
The most useful example would be watching a multi-AR film on a scope screen (such as The Dark Knight). The black bar area can be "blanked" so it doesn't spill off the screen when it opens up to 16:9.

On a 16:9 screen, it could be used to zoom scope movies a little larger and maintain a clean look with no overspill on the sides.
royboy365 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
The most useful example would be watching a multi-AR film on a scope screen (such as The Dark Knight). The black bar area can be "blanked" so it doesn't spill off the screen when it opens up to 16:9.

On a 16:9 screen, it could be used to zoom scope movies a little larger and maintain a clean look with no overspill on the sides.

Ah thanks! I can see how that would be helpful. I was disappointed initially thinking it would completely turn off pixels, which would eliminate any trace of grey bars on 2.35:1 movies.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1445 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
Give Epson technical service a call and ask them - I've found them to be quite responsive. I asked what was in the last 5030 firmware update after finding it posted on an obscure Epson update page. They checked with their engineering dept. and sent me a reply the next day - it was an additional entry on one of the service menus, nothing that would affect the performance or operation of the projector. I downloaded and applied it anyway - they appear to be telling the truth, as there were no differences I could detect ...
I did call Epson Hong Kong yesterday morning here n even attached the US Epson link for them to try it out. They replied in the afternoon(quite quick response) n said their unit here cannot read the file n will ask Japan if there will be one for HK soon. The stupid thing for me is ... when I get home n checked the firmware in my unit last night, it already had 105 n 103 on it
gnolivos and gagost like this.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #1446 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can someone respond to post 1374 please?

Any thoughts please?
post #1447 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Any thoughts please?
What don't you quote it back here..?
post #1448 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thoughts Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
What don't you quote it back here..?

Now that I have the Epson and the Philips BDP7501, I have read all 47 pages of this thread and I am very confused on how to proceed with my new toys.....Can someone please give me guidance on what "settings" I should have on the Epson and what "settings" I should have on the Philips BDP7501? Should I pay a person/company to do a calibration?
post #1449 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
But no handshake issues or anything? Yea I knew about the hdr situation, but 4k video still looks stunning correct using it?

I'm more of a Pc gamer so scorpio isn't something I'd buy, to the guy above. But I do want right now a good 4k player, the perk to the S is I still do play halo so it'd mainly just be used for halo gaming as Pc and ps4 are my main game platforms

If HDR is the only thing it lacks and atmos support, is that a deal breaker for most? I mean the standalones aren't impressing me much either, cept the 700 dollar Panasonic but I just can't buy into that much for a standalone
Never had any handshake issues with it. Yeah, no atmos and no HDR are the only things that don't make it a great UHD player, otherwise UHD blu rays still look pretty amazing with it and this projector. Apparently they're working on an update to support bitstream audio because atmos is one of the main features of UHD blu rays now and people are starting to actually make noise about it, but who knows when they're actually going to make it happen. I remember reading somewhere that they have said that there's nothing stopping the actual hardware from doing it, so it sounds promising.
post #1450 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenbizkitz View Post
Never had any handshake issues with it. Yeah, no atmos and no HDR are the only things that don't make it a great UHD player, otherwise UHD blu rays still look pretty amazing with it and this projector. Apparently they're working on an update to support bitstream audio because atmos is one of the main features of UHD blu rays now and people are starting to actually make noise about it, but who knows when they're actually going to make it happen. I remember reading somewhere that they have said that there's nothing stopping the actual hardware from doing it, so it sounds promising.
Hdr can also be fixed as well correct, it's just a matter of MS doing tho right?

Here's my main question, when it comes to 4k uhd movies without hdr, this player is as good as any compared to stand alones correct? I just don't feel like spending 700 on a standalone, as long as this player does 4k uhd just as good then I'll probably grab the XBS.
post #1451 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post
Hdr can also be fixed as well correct, it's just a matter of MS doing tho right?

Here's my main question, when it comes to 4k uhd movies without hdr, this player is as good as any compared to stand alones correct? I just don't feel like spending 700 on a standalone, as long as this player does 4k uhd just as good then I'll probably grab the XBS.
The XBOX won't do Dolby Atmos or DTS X, which is a deal breaker for some.
post #1452 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
The XBOX won't do Dolby Atmos or DTS X, which is a deal breaker for some.

What audio can it do? Only dts and dolby digital?

Can it do dtshdma and Dolby true HD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1453 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Now that I have the Epson and the Philips BDP7501, I have read all 47 pages of this thread and I am very confused on how to proceed with my new toys.....Can someone please give me guidance on what "settings" I should have on the Epson and what "settings" I should have on the Philips BDP7501? Should I pay a person/company to do a calibration?
Simply pop a movie in and watch it. You don't HAVE to do ...anything else. Of course you always could read what others have done, try that yourself and then decide if you like those settings. You are also welcome to pay someone to calibrate it but you may not actually see much if any difference.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #1454 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Strange. According to the chart below, 4k 24fps 4:2:0 10-bit isn't a format that HDMI will accept. Does the Phillips send it as 4:4:4 8-bit?
I don't know about the table, but 4K Blu-ray is pretty much 4Kp24 4:2:0 10-bit. And I believe that is what the HDFury Integral was reporting when I was playing a 4K disc.

Quote:
The BDP7501 will automatically do the right thing when plugged into HDMI #1 on the 5040UB and playing a 4K Blu-ray disc. You will probably want to manually select HDR Mode 1 but other than that you don't have to do anything special to get it to work.
JeremyR and hnupe like this.

post #1455 of 18059 Old 10-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Ok I did some comparisons with the 1080p blu ray and 4K blu ray of The Revenant. My overall impression is that the e-shift of the standard blu ray is outstanding. I almost prefer the 1080p disc instead of the 4K since it has a brighter picture. While I do see a bit more detail and clarity in the 4K image, I'm not sure if it's worth it enough to keep the Philips player. I'm leaning towards returning it and waiting for the Oppo. In the meantime I would just keep e-shifting standard blu rays and get the new Roku box coming out this week for 4K streaming. Anyway, here are some screen shot comparisons. (I don't think I picked the best scenes necessarily, but I haven't seen the movie yet. I've just been doing scene demos.) Also, is The Revenant a darker looking movie to begin with? I'm waiting for my rentals of Lucy and The Shallows in 4K to come in. I've read about how incredible those look and I'm assuming those would be brighter? Settings are:

-bright cinema
-eco lamp
-image enhancement 5
-gamma level at - 1
-minimal lighting
-106" Silver Ticket 1.1 gain screen
-pics taken with Galaxy S7

1080p

1080p

1080p

*I then decided to change the gamma from - 1 to 1 to help brighten the 4K image.

Gamma the at - 1

Gamma at 1

*Then just for fun I did the same with the 1080p images.

Gamma at - 1

Gamma at 1

Well, I'm not sure if you can tell or not, but the 1080p discs look amazing... so amazing that I'm really considering waiting for the Oppo 4K player before I start purchasing 4K discs. On a side note: Does anyone else find it easier to be impressed with images with aspect ratios that fill up the whole screen? It's harder for me to appreciate and be wowed by images with the letterbox format. This may be a reason why The Revenant in 4K doesn't impressive me as much as it should.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Samsung 75Q9FN
Hsu VTF-15H MK2
Ascend Acoustics 340 & 170
Denon X2300W
Panasonic UB820 + Nvidia Shield + Apple TV 4K

Last edited by terminal33; 10-04-2016 at 10:33 PM.
post #1456 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In the first set of pics of the men cutting up the meat the 4k look quite a bit sharper, Look behind the dog at the tree line way in the back' it looks much cleaner as most stuff in the distance does. But in all the others I cant see much better sharpness of the 4k shots. All the 4k shots look darker though. Interesting.
post #1457 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
In the first set of pics of the men cutting up the meat the 4k look quite a bit sharper, Look behind the dog at the tree line way in the back' it looks much cleaner as most stuff in the distance does. But in all the others I cant see much better sharpness of the 4k shots. All the 4k shots look darker though. Interesting.
I have to agree to that.
Also the gamma -1 looks too blue (at least in the pictures) on 1080P images.
post #1458 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Terminal33-thanks for taking the time and posting this info, very helpful. The Revenant is a darker movie btw.

post #1459 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The current Xbox One or S doesn't support direct bitstreaming for audio formats need to set it to PCM out. This will give you lossless audio but no Dolby Atmos and DTS:X yet. You just won't see DD True HD or dts:MA on your receiver, since it's being decoded internally. Need to wait for an update from MS for Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.

Last edited by jsil; 10-05-2016 at 07:02 AM.
post #1460 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy365 View Post
If you will look at the first post of this thread after the initial specs you will find known issues and the answers to your questions.

Menu > Image > Image Enhancement > 4K Enhancement
In that location you will also find the Image Preset Modes. Try them out. Most people like Preset 2 or 3 with some folks preferring 1 or 4. Haven't found anyone saying they like Preset 5 but try it yourself.

Menu > Signal > Advanced > Dynamic Range to choose Auto, SDR or HDR modes.
Great, thanks for the info.
gnolivos likes this.
post #1461 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
K8500 and the Epson don't really work together
the K8500 isn't able to output something different than 4:4:4 which exceeds the 10Gbit limit of the Epson HDMI input circuits. Therefore the data is reduced to 8bits and screws up the whole color/gamma stuff completely.

in my opinion it's impossible to get an acceptable picture quality with the Samsung/Epson couple (via HDMI wire, the wireless transmission seems to work), regardless of the settings! Even if you manage to get a "bright" picture by dirty tricks, the picture looks odd (gamma, contrast etc. nothing fits).

i owned a Samsung myself and swapped it for the Panasonic UB900 which works perfectly fine without any fancy adjustments.
unfortunately the Philips/Funai Player is not available her in Germany (yet), for now we have to choose between Samsung/Panasonic...
I went out and got the Philips player last night and it works great with the Epson. Was playing some scenes from The Revenant 4K Blu-ray and it looked amazing. I set the Epson to HDR1.

Thanks for the info.
post #1462 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 198
hdr works on the xbox...just not on the xbox and this projector....
ndabunka likes this.
post #1463 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Getting my projector (6040ub) tomorrow !!!
Purchased the Phillips BD UHD player last night...

A quick question for those who have the Phillips if they can please confirm...
Are you guys going through a receiver or directly from BD Player into projector?

Purchased the phillips to get HDR 4k since the xbox one S is known to NOT work.
But i will have it running through Yamaha 2060BL and i was wondering if the Yamaha is supported to be working with the Epson and have 4K HDR. i really hope the Yamaha will not kill the HDR etc...

Trying to get the best working setup ! driving me nuts and i dont even have the projector yet lol .
post #1464 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase1981 View Post
Getting my projector (6040ub) tomorrow !!!

Purchased the Phillips BD UHD player last night...

A quick question for those who have the Phillips if they can please confirm...

Are you guys going through a receiver or directly from BD Player into projector?

Purchased the phillips to get HDR 4k since the xbox one S is known to NOT work.

But i will have it running through Yamaha 2060BL and i was wondering if the Yamaha is supported to be working with the Epson and have 4K HDR. i really hope the Yamaha will not kill the HDR etc...

Trying to get the best working setup ! driving me nuts and i dont even have the projector yet lol .

Check rear HDMI out of your Yamaha. If it doesn't say HDCP 2.2 on it, then it won't even pass the 4K encrypted signal from UHD players. All Yamahas AFTER 2016 support it.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #1465 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Check rear HDMI out of your Yamaha. If it doesn't say HDCP 2.2 on it, then it won't even pass the 4K signal. All Yamahas AFTER 2016 support it.
Hey friend, that is not my question. I know the yamaha pass 4K HDR.
Let me rephrase my question, apologies for not asking more clear

I know my yamaha pass 4K HDR, i purchased it specifically for that...
Now, we know that the XBOX 1 S and this projector is not paying nice for HDR4K, therefor i purchased the Phillips...
But, does the PHillips pass 4K HDR when its connected directly to the Epson, or people here pass it via a compatible receiver ?

Basically i am trying to find out if the yamaha is compatible with the Epson, or it doesnt matter....
post #1466 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Check rear HDMI out of your Yamaha. If it doesn't say HDCP 2.2 on it, then it won't even pass the 4K encrypted signal from UHD players. All Yamahas AFTER 2016 support it.
Same problem I'm probably going to run into using a Onkyo TX NR3009 which has 1.4a HDMI.

post #1467 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase1981 View Post
Now, we know that the XBOX 1 S and this projector is not paying nice for HDR4K, therefor i purchased the Phillips...
But, does the PHillips pass 4K HDR when its connected directly to the Epson, or people here pass it via a compatible receiver ?

Basically i am trying to find out if the yamaha is compatible with the Epson, or it doesnt matter....
the problem with the Xbox S and the Samsung K8500 are related to the output format these machines are using for UHD-BD HDR discs. An AVR usually doesn't change this.

i have a CX-A5100 (should do the same regarding HDMI as your 2060) and the Samsung didn't work regardless of with/without the AVR and the Panasonic player works, doesn't matter if i connect it to the projector directly or loop through the AVR. The video processing isn't active for 4K input anyway (you can switch on/of, but it doesn't change anything).

so if the Philips works in general with the Epson, the 2060 shouldn't make any difference (my guess)!
post #1468 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
the problem with the Xbox S and the Samsung K8500 are related to the output format these machines are using for UHD-BD HDR discs. An AVR usually doesn't change this.

i have a CX-A5100 (should do the same regarding HDMI as your 2060) and the Samsung didn't work regardless of with/without the AVR and the Panasonic player works, doesn't matter if i connect it to the projector directly or loop through the AVR. The video processing isn't active for 4K input anyway (you can switch on/of, but it doesn't change anything).

so if the Philips works in general with the Epson, the 2060 shouldn't make any difference (my guess)!
Perfect, what you wrote make sense to me. And made me feel much better !
Cant wait to get the 6040UB tomorrow, mount it and test it all
everything is ready and set up ! xb1s to yamaha HDMI 1, Phillips to Yamaha HDMI2.

now just hoping the cable i got will work, and if not we'll get into the "Hunt for the cable" game... lol.
post #1469 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
Yes, I agree. It seems that is where 4K outshines 1080p the most on this projector. With 4K, the backgrounds are more detailed and clear. But the foreground images are very similar since the e-shift seems to do wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltonj View Post
Terminal33-thanks for taking the time and posting this info, very helpful. The Revenant is a darker movie btw.
I see, thanks. I have Risen 4K so I'll check that out tonight.
shepdog likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Hsu VTF-15H MK2
Ascend Acoustics 340 & 170
Denon X2300W
Panasonic UB820 + Nvidia Shield + Apple TV 4K
post #1470 of 18059 Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found upper and lower black body casing for the 5040 for $150 shipped. Will give it a go!
aaranddeeman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page