Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 494 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27089Likes

post #14791 of 18729 Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonghop View Post
Thanks. I thought maybe there was a particular screen that matched well with this projector.
I have a 135” silverticket and it looks great. White screen, light controlled room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14792 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveG View Post
I had to transition from a projector to an OLED for space reasons, so I sold my Epson 5040ub on eBay.

It was in mint condition, used with a UPS, watched mostly on ECO mode and worked beautifully. I triple checked before I sent it out and it worked just as it always had.

After receiving it, the buyer sent me this picture saying it had a red tint in the bottom left-hand corner. It could have been damaged during shipping, but I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this as a result of faulty HDMI or incorrect settings? I can't find any results of this issue.
The reply by @jnation is the only which seems right to me: this is definitely an optical issue. One of the mirrors/lenses inside is either tilted or vertically misaligned; most likely tilted.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #14793 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Looking for screen advice.

I almost have my HT system planned out, to include the 5040UB. The only thing I'm unsure about is the screen. I plan to do CIH and the largest I can fit is 120Wx50H 130Diag. My throw distance is about 13.5ft. My theater room is like 99% light controlled. I mainly intend to watch movie/tv with the lights off, but may occasionally have the lights on. I care more about getting a better picture in movies/tv, than if the picture is a little washed out with the lights on. Budget is about $1000-1500 for the screen.

So with that in mind, does anyone have screen manufacturer, material, and gain recommendations?

Thanks!

In that price range I can’t recommend the elite cinegrey 3D enough. Has basically no hotspotting and does wonders for HDR if you are interested in maximizing the units hdr capabilities. Also for an alr material it is quite neutral and easy to calibrate for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14794 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 5409 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
I'm new to projectors, but I thought maybe screens that produced better black might pair well with a projector that isn't that great at producing blacks.
That starement is frequently made (even by some screen manufacturers) but is not strictly correct. Screens such as ALR can greatly improve the contrast (and hence the black level), if the dominating factor is the room / ambient light. They don't help if the projector itself is the limiting factor.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 06-16-2018 at 11:36 AM.
post #14795 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
In that price range I can’t recommend the elite cinegrey 3D enough. Has basically no hotspotting and does wonders for HDR if you are interested in maximizing the units hdr capabilities.
For some reason my Cinegrey 3D looks darker than my matte white screen even at the sweet spot, in spite of the rated gain. I contacted Elite regarding this and they said its normal. It does wonders in cutting down the ambient light, however.
post #14796 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
For some reason my Cinegrey 3D looks darker than my matte white screen even at the sweet spot, in spite of the rated gain. I contacted Elite regarding this and they said its normal. It does wonders in cutting down the ambient light, however.

I had called elite when I received my screen as well and the material tech I spoke with said it had to do with a combination of the material and the way our vision works. To prove his point he had me download a light meter app and (like he said it would) the Cinegrey 3D reflected back about 10% more light then my silver ticket matte white. The basic premise he explained was that elite designs their alr materials to avoid sparkles and the way our vision perceives black to be darker then it is in the presence of the increased white brightness produced by the high gain.

post #14797 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had called elite when I received my screen as well and the material tech I spoke with said it had to do with a combination of the material and the way our vision works. To prove his point he had me download a light meter app and (like he said it would) the Cinegrey 3D reflected back about 10% more light then my silver ticket matte white. The basic premise he explained was that elite designs their alr materials to avoid sparkles and the way our vision perceives black to be darker then it is in the presence of the increased white brightness produced by the high gain.

He gave me a similar explanation but I don't really follow it. The matte screen has zero sparkles; the 3D has some.
What matters ultimately is our vision - for HDR I want the highlights to look brighter, not just measure brighter.
post #14798 of 18729 Old 06-16-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
He gave me a similar explanation but I don't really follow it. The matte screen has zero sparkles; the 3D has some.

What matters ultimately is our vision - for HDR I want the highlights to look brighter, not just measure brighter.

And that’s the conundrum because what makes for the best hdr image is driving total contrast and by using the matte white screen your loosing some perceived contrast in the image but boosting perceived image brightness. In the end now that I am dabbling I’m properly calibrating the projector with a meter I can get a noticeably better hdr image on the Cinegrey 3D vs the matte white material.

post #14799 of 18729 Old 06-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
And that’s the conundrum because what makes for the best hdr image is driving total contrast and by using the matte white screen your loosing some perceived contrast in the image but boosting perceived image brightness. In the end now that I am dabbling I’m properly calibrating the projector with a meter I can get a noticeably better hdr image on the Cinegrey 3D vs the matte white material.

Are you able to swap out the screen material to compare? When I first got the projector I put up a split screen for a few days that was half white and half Cinegrey. How are you comparing the two?
post #14800 of 18729 Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
Are you able to swap out the screen material to compare? When I first got the projector I put up a split screen for a few days that was half white and half Cinegrey. How are you comparing the two?

I assembled my other screen to compare and was able to rig it up on two chairs so I could calibrate for both while easily being able to switch between the two. Calibrating with the x-rite I prefer the image I can get out of the Cinegrey especially for HDR. For SDR the image is very close (maybe because sdr is WAY easier to do then HDR lol) but I still prefer the Cinegrey as my room isn’t a theater so the Cinegrey makes blacks appear much darker.

post #14801 of 18729 Old 06-17-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
Whats your take on the Cinegrey?
post #14802 of 18729 Old 06-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Whats your take on the Cinegrey?
I tried it when I first got the projector so that was before we figured out the HDR calibration etc.

But my take at that time was:

1. If there is a lot of ambient light neither screen looked very good.
2. With some ambient light the Cinegrey clearly looked better.
3. And the Cinegrey blacks were distinctly better. When looking side-by-side the white screen blacks looked like more of a dark grey vs. black.
4. But in a dark room the Cinegrey picture looked duller, especially for HDR (again, before I did the calibration).

I had a difficult time deciding but in the end went with the white given I have very good light control. It would be interesting to do a HDR calibration using the Cinegrey but I don't have the screen anymore.

Last edited by jwhn; 06-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #14803 of 18729 Old 06-17-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveG View Post
I had to transition from a projector to an OLED for space reasons, so I sold my Epson 5040ub on eBay.

It was in mint condition, used with a UPS, watched mostly on ECO mode and worked beautifully. I triple checked before I sent it out and it worked just as it always had.

After receiving it, the buyer sent me this picture saying it had a red tint in the bottom left-hand corner. It could have been damaged during shipping, but I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this as a result of faulty HDMI or incorrect settings? I can't find any results of this issue.

I had an Epson 9500 UB before I picked up my 6040. It started showing ever so slightly a pink/green hue all over the picture, only visible on white scenes.

Just before I sold it, it started getting a pink bottom border just as yours shows. My remedy was to zoom in slightly to put that pink out of the picture.

One of the causes was probably the PJ being hung upside down for 8 years and with gravity doing its job, was pulling down the plates (not sure what they are called) which was causing the pink on the bottom. The remedy was to open up the PJ and snap the plates back into position.

It was happening to the Epson 8500 and with a search might find the thread on here or over at HTF.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #14804 of 18729 Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
I had an Epson 9500 UB before I picked up my 6040. It started showing ever so slightly a pink/green hue all over the picture, only visible on white scenes.

Just before I sold it, it started getting a pink bottom border just as yours shows. My remedy was to zoom in slightly to put that pink out of the picture.

One of the causes was probably the PJ being hung upside down for 8 years and with gravity doing its job, was pulling down the plates (not sure what they are called) which was causing the pink on the bottom. The remedy was to open up the PJ and snap the plates back into position.

It was happening to the Epson 8500 and with a search might find the thread on here or over at HTF.
I made a
showing how to fix the pink/green issue, but this magenta bar on the bottom, although it's the same kind of problem, should be a bit harder to fix, I think.
post #14805 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally treated myself to the 5040UBE, absolutely cant wait for it to arrive. I am a bit worried about the power failure issues ive read about on this form but my fingers are firmly crossed i get a good one. My question is; is there (after all this time & nearly 500 pages in THIS thread alone) a general consensus on the most impressive picture settings? oledert, harper? i'm not going for professional calibrations or using the disney disc - just want the consensus "best" for getting this beast to shine right out of the box. any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

also using the Panasonic-900 4k player. 4k Sony receiver (DN1080)
post #14806 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Hello DEN7ER,

I dropped a PDF file with the settings, not sure if this is the latest, just remember these are primarily baseline settings. You will need to customize according to your environment, i.e. screen, lighting, etc..

Hope this helps and Congratulations, I really enjoy my 6040UB projector. I watch it almost everyday.

I wouldn't concern myself with the power supply issue, I think the majority of Epson 5040/6040 owners are fine, they just don't post until something happens. Just Enjoy!!!

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50406040settings.11.22.pdf (68.1 KB, 207 views)
DEN7ER likes this.
post #14807 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
Hello DEN7ER,

I dropped a PDF file with the settings, not sure if this is the latest, just remember these are primarily baseline settings. You will need to customize according to your environment, i.e. screen, lighting, etc..

Hope this helps and Congratulations, I really enjoy my 6040UB projector. I watch it almost everyday.

I wouldn't concern myself with the power supply issue, I think the majority of Epson 5040/6040 owners are fine, they just don't post until something happens. Just Enjoy!!!

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Azeke,

THANK YOU!!

Exactly the kind of thing i was looking for, simple and concise! good to know about the power - i'll assume the thing should be fine.

Upgrading from my old trusty Home Cinema 8700UB, which i really enjoyed. everything i've read suggests it's more than worth the upgrade.

Last edited by DEN7ER; 06-19-2018 at 02:57 PM.
post #14808 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEN7ER View Post
Azeke,

THANK YOU!!

Exactly the kind of thing i was looking for, simple and concise! good to know about the power - i'll assume the thing should be fine.

Upgrading from my old trusty Home Cinema 8700UB, which i really enjoyed. everything i've read suggests it's more than worth the upgrade.
So Harpervision and Oledurt are for HDR source material, right? For non-HDR I recommend starting with Natural mode and tweak as desired.
DEN7ER likes this.
post #14809 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 712 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked: 3369
Woah... Visual Apex 2299.00 right now for the 5040.
post #14810 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Finally treated myself to the 5040UBE, absolutely cant wait for it to arrive. I am a bit worried about the power failure issues ive read about on this form but my fingers are firmly crossed i get a good one. My question is; is there (after all this time & nearly 500 pages in THIS thread alone) a general consensus on the most impressive picture settings? oledert, harper? i'm not going for professional calibrations or using the disney disc - just want the consensus "best" for getting this beast to shine right out of the box. any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Having been through 3 of them at this point I find there is significant variation between the individual units I have had but with that said Dave Harpers SDR settings are consistently pretty good with just some slight tweaking to brightness and contrast as for HDR that argument is one that has been raging for the last 500 pages and I will no longer recommend settings since it just causes arguments lol

post #14811 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

For SDR content... Use Natural mode and turn off Frame Interploration. It will be close to a calibrated image. You could adjust the brightness and contrast slightly depending on your screen, but that is hard to get right without at least a test disc. Don't worry, it won't be far off.

I would avoid changing the colours for SDR without having a colourmetre. It is not something that can be done by eye and the Epsons tend to be close enough to a calibrated image that there shouldn't be any obviously wrong colour shift.

For SDR the Epson is excellent out of the box... Enjoy!

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
post #14812 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post
For SDR content... Use Natural mode and turn off Frame Interploration. It will be close to a calibrated image. You could adjust the brightness and contrast slightly depending on your screen, but that is hard to get right without at least a test disc. Don't worry, it won't be far off.

I would avoid changing the colours for SDR without having a colourmetre. It is not something that can be done by eye and the Epsons tend to be close enough to a calibrated image that there shouldn't be any obviously wrong colour shift.

For SDR the Epson is excellent out of the box... Enjoy!

interesting, good to know! thanks man

i dont want to tinker too much to have to re-adjust for each type of media format but a good catch-all is what im going for. the gamma, saturation and brightness usually get me where i want to be. The HDR stuff is gonna be the biggest headache/second-guessing , with all of the info from this thread. haha
post #14813 of 18729 Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
interesting, good to know! thanks man

i dont want to tinker too much to have to re-adjust for each type of media format but a good catch-all is what im going for. the gamma, saturation and brightness usually get me where i want to be. The HDR stuff is gonna be the biggest headache/second-guessing , with all of the info from this thread. haha
Don't mention it.

I have calibrated my projector for SDR with a colourmetre and while there is a visible difference, it is subtle...

For HDR I would imagine a calibration would make a bigger difference, but i haven't had the time to learn how to do that, or to hire someone. I rarely watch HDR at the moment.
DEN7ER likes this.

Last edited by Uppsalaing; 06-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #14814 of 18729 Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Just wanted to add make sure the firmware is current, for me the Auto Bright is the main reason I have able to finally enjoy using HDR on my 4K discs.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #14815 of 18729 Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Have a question about HTPC, I have a HTPC with an Nvidia GTX1060 running through my Marantz AV7704 to my 5040.
Can anybody point me in the right direction of what settings the Nvidia graphics should be on to get HDR and Rec.2020 from the PC when I am playing content that is 4K and has HDR.

Thanks

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #14816 of 18729 Old 06-23-2018, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Watching a movie last night, the projector abruptly stopped displaying an image and the orange bulb light came on. I went through a few of the trouble steps in the manual. The filter doesnt look that dirty and the bulb had never been touched, so I assume it was seated correctly. I dont understand how my bulb could go out after 1.5 years of ownership and about 10hrs a week of use in eco mode (I have a dark room and was trying to maximize bulb life). That is less 1k hours. Anything else worth trying? I'm going to call Epson when they open in a few hours. Anybody know where to get bulbs locally in Atlanta?
post #14817 of 18729 Old 06-23-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
Watching a movie last night, the projector abruptly stopped displaying an image and the orange bulb light came on. I went through a few of the trouble steps in the manual. The filter doesnt look that dirty and the bulb had never been touched, so I assume it was seated correctly. I dont understand how my bulb could go out after 1.5 years of ownership and about 10hrs a week of use in eco mode (I have a dark room and was trying to maximize bulb life). That is less 1k hours. Anything else worth trying? I'm going to call Epson when they open in a few hours. Anybody know where to get bulbs locally in Atlanta?
Same thing happened to me at ~6-700 hours IIRC. I called Epson, went through some basic troubleshooting steps, and they sent me a replacement free of charge. Thankfully, I had a spare on hand.

My latest issue is the projector will power off randomly. 3-4 times over the last month. Turn it back on and it's fine.
post #14818 of 18729 Old 06-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I had the random power off and at least for me it was tied to HDMI Link to a device that has auto sleep after a certain period of time. May not be the same problem but worth checking.
ccotenj and z06gal like this.
post #14819 of 18729 Old 06-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lens position wrong after each power on

I am sure this has come up before but I could not find a definitive solution.

Every time I power on the projector, the lens position is slightly different, dealing with the lens shift is very frustrating because doesn't matter what I do, if I save the preset and load it, it goes too far in the direction that I last moved to adjust, anyway even if I save a preset to a very close location even after this misalignment after loading the lens, after next power on, if I load the lens memory I saved it will still be off.

Is the motorized lens shift memory really that bad? or am I missing something? maybe that is within the expected error percentage? that would be unacceptable for such a costly projector.
post #14820 of 18729 Old 06-24-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromvu View Post
I am sure this has come up before but I could not find a definitive solution.

Every time I power on the projector, the lens position is slightly different, dealing with the lens shift is very frustrating because doesn't matter what I do, if I save the preset and load it, it goes too far in the direction that I last moved to adjust, anyway even if I save a preset to a very close location even after this misalignment after loading the lens, after next power on, if I load the lens memory I saved it will still be off.

Is the motorized lens shift memory really that bad? or am I missing something? maybe that is within the expected error percentage? that would be unacceptable for such a costly projector.
Have you tried the solution on post no. 4180 of this thread? It usually solves lens shift memory issues...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180615_013043.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	700.2 KB
ID:	2419824  
old corps likes this.

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos , filter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page