Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 496 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26884Likes

post #14851 of 17660 Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
FWIW I had an HC4000 for less than a week when I decide to return for a 5040. No regrets, and current pricing for the 5040 these days can be really good. If you can swing it, do the 5040.
All comes down to budget and how long you want to keep it for. I bought the PC 4040 as a stopgap unit until true 4K and better HDR become more affordable, which I expect will be the case within two years. That being said, most people love their 5040s.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S2 surround, XTZ 1X12 subwoofer, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14852 of 17660 Old 06-29-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys can someone clear a few things up for me,

I am starting to get into 4k content via streaming/4k UHD etc, As i understand our projector accepts the 4K signal turns it into 1080p and then upscales it to 4k? Seeing that most of the movies being released are really being pushed for the HDR effects our projector only outputs 12bit HDR and not 10bit? are we at a severe quality loss as opposed to something like the Optoma UHD60?

Secondly i was meddling a little whiles back with calibration tools though never really got he hang of it, i have a Xrite i1 Pro metre, camera tripod and avshd 709. If i can get my hands on some 2020 test patterns should i be able to calibrate this beast on my own using HFCR software? Cn anyone point me in the right direction (thread) as mentioned earlier?

Cheers
post #14853 of 17660 Old 06-30-2018, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, hoping some of you can tell me what is going on with my 5040ub. I've had it for about 8 months now and I'm super happy with it, but a problem appeared last night when I turned it on. After about 5 minutes of being turned on, a huge pink blob appeared in the middle of the screen. I turned the projector off and back on and the blob was gone, the projector then operated fine for about 6 hours afterwards so I didn't think much of it.

However, I just turned on the projector today and the same issue appeared after about 5-10 minutes. This time I snapped a couple photos. The strange thing is that the pink blob disappeared on its own about 2-3 minutes later. I watched it "fade" or "dissolve", for lack of a better description.

I attached a couple pictures I snapped with my phone.

Any ideas what is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EpsonPinkBlob2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	779.7 KB
ID:	2422208   Click image for larger version

Name:	EpsonPinkBlob1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	988.4 KB
ID:	2422210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14854 of 17660 Old 06-30-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza6887 View Post
Secondly i was meddling a little whiles back with calibration tools though never really got he hang of it, i have a Xrite i1 Pro metre, camera tripod and avshd 709. If i can get my hands on some 2020 test patterns should i be able to calibrate this beast on my own using HFCR software? Cn anyone point me in the right direction (thread) as mentioned earlier?
There's an entire thread dedicated to this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...rojectors.html
You don’t even need to test patterns, although they are useful to have.
post #14855 of 17660 Old 06-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
Orcus, I currently use your natural settings in a perfect light controlled room and am very happy with it after hours of trying other settings and I was unaware that you use it for ambient light viewing. I know a lot of people get turned off by all the comments about there settings but I for one very much appreciate them. Would you be willing to share your light controlled viewing settings for HDR with the group, or just myself if you would prefer. Thank you kindly

I don’t care what other people think of my settings I just enjoy posting my experiences and findings from an amateur hobbyists perspective and would appreciate some constructive criticism and suggestions and maybe even get a few posts like yours wanting me to share more. The AV forums however tend to devolve into dismissive diatribes and/or outright attacks about your utter lack of understanding and how your harming the hobby. This is frustrating and counterproductive to say the least. It also keeps new hobbyists away from forums all together, which is a shame... The AV hobby for me is in many ways my favorite because I’m not an expert and don’t know everything unlike marine aquarium keeping, which I am. Sometimes that hobby becomes more like a second job as I am involved in it heavily both locally and in the forums.

The AV hobby is more basal for me, as I just enjoy the heck out of an awesome image and great sound. However, I’m not a purist by any stretch and never pretend to be. I love my highly processed Sonos surround sound and the settings I arrived for my projector, because they are pleasing to me. For example even with the meter I still purposely push the image cooler because I prefer it that way. And I guess that’s what a hobby is all about, enjoying it your own way. But I digress lol

A few notes on the new settings as a few things really stood out during the calibration process for me. First is how good of a projector this is, it really is capable of amazing things. Second is HDR is full of trade offs you have to make during calibration and it really makes me hate the format. I feel like they could have greatly refined the spec before sending it out into the wild. Content is literally all over the place being mastered at different luminance values, they really should have set hard limits for content to allow device manufacturers to tailor equipment to maximize performance like they did with sdr. Third I chose to basically leave gamma unchanged from my previous settings and focused on using the color menu to tweak the image. The reason I chose to do this is my previous HDR gamma proved to be a great starting point and since I’m new to calibrating for HDR this worked well for me. It also doesn’t help that the gamma graph is horrible to the point of being nearly unusable. Finally, it amazed me how darn difficult calibrating with a meter is. I would start down a certain path and end up at a dead end having to just start over. That’s the primary reason why I decided to make certain decisions such as leaving the gamma at certain values that work well enough as this allowed me to get close enough to make the rest of the calibration easier. Overall I hope you enjoy and please I would love some comments and constructive criticism as this is my first attempt at proper calibrations with a light meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
albo75, Buckeye Dave and biga6761 like this.
post #14856 of 17660 Old 06-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
I don’t care what other people think of my settings I just enjoy posting my experiences and findings from an amateur hobbyists perspective and would appreciate some constructive criticism and suggestions and maybe even get a few posts like yours wanting me to share more. The AV forums however tend to devolve into dismissive diatribes and/or outright attacks about your utter lack of understanding and how your harming the hobby. This is frustrating and counterproductive to say the least. It also keeps new hobbyists away from forums all together, which is a shame... The AV hobby for me is in many ways my favorite because I’m not an expert and don’t know everything unlike marine aquarium keeping, which I am. Sometimes that hobby becomes more like a second job as I am involved in it heavily both locally and in the forums.

The AV hobby is more basal for me, as I just enjoy the heck out of an awesome image and great sound. However, I’m not a purist by any stretch and never pretend to be. I love my highly processed Sonos surround sound and the settings I arrived for my projector, because they are pleasing to me. For example even with the meter I still purposely push the image cooler because I prefer it that way. And I guess that’s what a hobby is all about, enjoying it your own way. But I digress lol

A few notes on the new settings as a few things really stood out during the calibration process for me. First is how good of a projector this is, it really is capable of amazing things. Second is HDR is full of trade offs you have to make during calibration and it really makes me hate the format. I feel like they could have greatly refined the spec before sending it out into the wild. Content is literally all over the place being mastered at different luminance values, they really should have set hard limits for content to allow device manufacturers to tailor equipment to maximize performance like they did with sdr. Third I chose to basically leave gamma unchanged from my previous settings and focused on using the color menu to tweak the image. The reason I chose to do this is my previous HDR gamma proved to be a great starting point and since I’m new to calibrating for HDR this worked well for me. It also doesn’t help that the gamma graph is horrible to the point of being nearly unusable. Finally, it amazed me how darn difficult calibrating with a meter is. I would start down a certain path and end up at a dead end having to just start over. That’s the primary reason why I decided to make certain decisions such as leaving the gamma at certain values that work well enough as this allowed me to get close enough to make the rest of the calibration easier. Overall I hope you enjoy and please I would love some comments and constructive criticism as this is my first attempt at proper calibrations with a light meter.

Forgot to mention that yes I kept the projector on autobright instead of auto only because I enjoy the image more. It does clip much earlier then auto and also crushes near max nit data and sure I may not see every last detail in a cloud. But overall the trade offs are worth it as it drives that simulated hdr look that I am after far better then auto. I also have been tinkering with brightness and contrast on the digital cinema hdr settings and have been liking pushing brightness up to 56 and contrast down to 34.

monkaquinas likes this.

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 06-30-2018 at 08:18 PM.
post #14857 of 17660 Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Forgot to mention that yes I kept the projector on autobright instead of auto only because I enjoy the image more. It does clip much earlier then auto and also crushes near max nit data and sure I may not see every last detail in a cloud. But overall the trade offs are worth it as it drives that simulated hdr look that I am after far better then auto.

I for one appreciate you posting your settings and I am looking forward to giving them a try. Thank you.
monkaquinas and sddp like this.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S2 surround, XTZ 1X12 subwoofer, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #14858 of 17660 Old 06-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtoronto View Post
I for one appreciate you posting your settings and I am looking forward to giving them a try. Thank you.

Your welcome! Can’t wait to hear your feedback

post #14859 of 17660 Old 07-01-2018, 03:00 AM

@robc1976 can you post the settings you came up with. I would be curious to compare. Also, what was your experience with calibrating, was it as frustrating as I found it to be? Lol

post #14860 of 17660 Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
@robc1976 can you post the settings you came up with. I would be curious to compare. Also, what was your experience with calibrating, was it as frustrating as I found it to be? Lol

it canbe super frustrating with HDR, I will post them but will not look as good as its calibrated to my screen and my room.

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
post #14861 of 17660 Old 07-01-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
it canbe super frustrating with HDR, I will post them but will not look as good as its calibrated to my screen and my room.

Understood I’m more looking to use them as a different starting point for calibration. I’m particularly interested in your gamma and how it relates to your color management numbers.

post #14862 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Should I jump in the pool and buy used?

I have the opportunity to purchase a locally sourced previously used 5040ub, (approximately 600 hours) together with a basic fixed frame 92" white screen and I need your input if I should make this my first ever front projection purchase. This would be my max budget in any case. Only possible now because of the used price. This purchase would be for a secondary space I originally used to retire my old equipment "electronics graveyard". This setup would barely fit, as I only have a 12'6" wide 13'6" deep 8' high room with the possibility of fabric covered walls, and blacked out patio doors, but I will keep the white ceiling paint. The bottom of the screen height must be 3' up off the floor because I have full range JBL's all around the room. Seating distance is 8'. Viewing content would be 80% blu-ray movies. I only own 2 UHD disks, mostly for demo reasons, as my main screen has been panasonic plasma for the past 5 years, so I am very accustomed to black is black and never sit close enough to resolve 4k with my vision/seating distance with my current system.

Another question, can I set up a constant bottom image height when switching from 16:9 to 2.39:1, without loosing image quality, as opposed to the standard constant image height? I ask because I have a spacial limit of ceiling, and speakers giving me 60" of working space, and I do not want to be staring at the ceiling while I crane my neck. Specifically asking If I could set up the 2.39:1 at the bottom of the screen, and 16:9 at the bottom of the screen.

The available space for this project is in the provided photo:
everything between the jbl's in the photo would go away. If I move the desk, I loose a guest bed, and gain a big WAF.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main system : Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma; Denon AVR-X6200W; Monolith 7X amp 200Wx7; Klipsch RSW-10 sub; modified Klipsch Chorus II Fronts; modified Klipsch Forte II center; modified Klipsch Chorus II surrounds; modified Klipsch Academy rear heights; JBL L20T3 front heights; Mogami 10ga speaker cables, Morrow Audio interconnects; custom gaming pc

Secondary system LG 47" LCD; Onkyo tx-nr818; JBL 240Ti Fronts; JBL L200T3 Center; JBL L100T3 Surrounds; Mogami cables; custom htpc/server.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180702_025714.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	2423140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_033137.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	591.3 KB
ID:	2423142  

Last edited by 314carpenter; 07-02-2018 at 01:33 AM.
post #14863 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314carpenter View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase a locally sourced previously used 5040ub, (approximately 600 hours) together with a basic fixed frame 92" white screen and I need your input if I should make this my first ever front projection purchase. This would be my max budget in any case. Only possible now because of the used price. This purchase would be for a secondary space I originally used to retire my old equipment "electronics graveyard". This setup would barely fit, as I only have a 12'6" wide 13'6" deep 8' high room with the possibility of fabric covered walls, and blacked out patio doors, but I will keep the white ceiling paint. The bottom of the screen height must be 3' up off the floor because I have full range JBL's all around the room. Seating distance is 8'. Viewing content would be 80% blu-ray movies. I only own 2 UHD disks, mostly for demo reasons, as my main screen has been panasonic plasma for the past 5 years, so I am very accustomed to black is black and never sit close enough to resolve 4k with my vision/seating distance with my current system.

Another question, can I set up a constant bottom image height when switching from 16:9 to 2.39:1, without loosing image quality, as opposed to the standard constant image height? I ask because I have a spacial limit of ceiling, and speakers giving me 60" of working space, and I do not want to be staring at the ceiling while I crane my neck. Specifically asking If I could set up the 2.39:1 at the bottom of the screen, and 16:9 at the bottom of the screen.

everything between the jbl's in the photo would go away. If I move the desk, I loose a guest bed, and gain a big WAF.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main system : Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma; Denon AVR-X6200W; Monolith 7X amp 200Wx7; Klipsch RSW-10 sub; modified Klipsch Chorus II Fronts; modified Klipsch Forte II center; modified Klipsch Chorus II surrounds; modified Klipsch Academy rear heights; JBL L20T3 front heights; Mogami 10ga speaker cables, Morrow Audio interconnects; custom gaming pc

Secondary system LG 47" LCD; Onkyo tx-nr818; JBL 240Ti Fronts; JBL L200T3 Center; JBL L100T3 Surrounds; Mogami cables; custom htpc/server.
You can check throw and image dimensions (including lens shift) using Epson's throw calculator on their website. Keep in mund that the projector itself is about 46 centimentres deep so add that to your throw distance.

You can use tape on the wall to outline where your screen will be so you can judge neck strain...

You can save lens memories to keep the screen aligned to the bottom. It's easy.

Good luck

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
post #14864 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Sounds fine but what as is regularly reported in this thread the power supply failed?
Are you getting any kind of warranty is the Epson warranty transferable to a new owner ?
post #14865 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Sounds fine but what as is regularly reported in this thread the power supply failed?
Are you getting any kind of warranty is the Epson warranty transferable to a new owner ?
Warranty has 8 months remaining, and is Epson says "the original retail purchaser........For warranty service, you must provide proof of the date of original purchase." Receipt is included in the sale. Price to me would be about $1000 off current new prices. Current retail prices are $2299 projector and about $250 screen. I wonder what does a non-warranty power supply replacement cost, including shipping?

Last edited by 314carpenter; 07-02-2018 at 03:48 AM.
post #14866 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Warranty has 8 months remaining, and is Epson says "the original retail purchaser........For warranty service, you must provide proof of the date of original purchase." Receipt is included in the sale. Price to me would be about $1000 off current new prices. Current retail prices are $2299 projector and about $250 screen. I wonder what does a non-warranty power supply replacement cost, including shipping?
I have a Panasonic VT60 and an Epson PC 4040 (step down from the 5040 but comparable). The plasma produces richer color and better blacks. The Epson viewing experience is more impactful (112" screen) and really feels like a cinema experience. The Epson with HDR content produces a good picture. Some have said that with professional calibration, they have been able to get the 5040's color reproduction to be comparable to a plasma, but I have not had a calibration done. Like you, I am budget constrained. I previously had my Atmos system set-up with my plasma set in a family room. Now I have it set up in the basement with the projector and screen. This is a more immersive and satisfying experience. So yes, some picture quality sacrificed but a gain in impact and immersion.

post #14867 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
I have a Panasonic VT60 and an Epson PC 4040 (step down from the 5040 but comparable). The plasma produces richer color and better blacks. The Epson viewing experience is more impactful (112" screen) and really feels like a cinema experience. The Epson with HDR content produces a good picture. Some have said that with professional calibration, they have been able to get the 5040's color reproduction to be comparable to a plasma, but I have not had a calibration done. Like you, I am budget constrained. I previously had my Atmos system set-up with my plasma set in a family room. Now I have it set up in the basement with the projector and screen. This is a more immersive and satisfying experience. So yes, some picture quality sacrificed but a gain in impact and immersion.
Agreed....well said. I also have both. Some have described the difference as watching a good TV or enjoying a totally immersive experience.

Relative to the OP's inquiry and situation, however, and relative to only the power supply issue, Epson's advance support indicated to me that consideration would be provided for those failures occurring beyond the normal warranty period...determined on a case by case basis.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 07-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
post #14868 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
i had a professionally calibrated 60” kuro.

i sold it very shortly after getting my first pj, which was decent, but not as good as subsequent projectors.

gimme a flat panel that is 110” that i can get to the second floor of my house for a similar price to a “good” pj and screen, and i’m all over it. until then...
seplant and Azekecse like this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #14869 of 17660 Old 07-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Yes the 5040 when locked in is able to get blacks that are comparable to a good lcd display, won’t touch a Panny plasma or an oled but comparable to my vizio m series with the local dimming turned off. As for the color sdr content is pretty close out of the box and nearly perfect after a few minutes with a calibration disc and a color filter. It really is that good and easy to calibrate for sdr. HDR on the other hand is a complete mess and requires hours of tweaking to get a respectable image and really a professional calibration or the purchase of a light meter to pull a show stopping HDR image.

post #14870 of 17660 Old 07-03-2018, 11:03 PM

The Mother Ship has arrived! Thank you
@Uppsalaing
@Lesmor
@avtoronto
@gene4ht
@ccotenj
@OrcusVaruna
for your input in my specific concern, and sharing your very similar setups.
and thanks to the Owner Group for guiding me to this special day.

The previous owner was great to work with on the sale. His home is sold, and unfortunately his new home has skylights everywhere. 400 some odd hours, 92" screen, ceiling bracket, and a 30 something foot HDMI beast of a cable.

Happy Birthday America
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180704_004614 (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	2424212  
gene4ht, ccotenj, Lesmor and 4 others like this.
post #14871 of 17660 Old 07-04-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
^

welcome to the pj owners club!!!

get that bad boy set up!!
gene4ht likes this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #14872 of 17660 Old 07-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
The Mother Ship has arrived! Thank you
@Uppsalaing
@Lesmor
@avtoronto
@gene4ht
@ccotenj
@OrcusVaruna
for your input in my specific concern, and sharing your very similar setups.
and thanks to the Owner Group for guiding me to this special day.

The previous owner was great to work with on the sale. His home is sold, and unfortunately his new home has skylights everywhere. 400 some odd hours, 92" screen, ceiling bracket, and a 30 something foot HDMI beast of a cable.

Happy Birthday America
Congratulations and welcome to the Club...Time to go to work

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
ccotenj likes this.
post #14873 of 17660 Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
I’ll add my congrats as well. Be prepared to be wow’ed! A great immersive experience awaits you!
ccotenj likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #14874 of 17660 Old 07-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Your welcome! Can’t wait to hear your feedback

I applied your SDR dark room settings then tweaked the brightness and contrast using Disney's WOW disc for my environment and I'm very pleased with the result. This is the best SDR picture I've been able to obtain. I will give your HDR settings a go next time I'm watching HDR material. Have you also tried the 'Harpervision' settings and its derivatives? Thanks again for posting.

post #14875 of 17660 Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I applied your SDR dark room settings then tweaked the brightness and contrast using Disney's WOW disc for my environment and I'm very pleased with the result. This is the best SDR picture I've been able to obtain. I will give your HDR settings a go next time I'm watching HDR material. Have you also tried the 'Harpervision' settings and its derivatives? Thanks again for posting.

I’m glad your enjoying them! I have tried the harpervision settings and I’m not a fan of them especially since the release of the autobright signal setting. Forcing the projector to the sdr mode significantly raises the black floor and leads to a washed out image in my experience. It was great before because it solved the issue with hdr being way too dark but this is no longer an issue since epson pushed out some core firmware fixes to the signal processing of hdr and we have all gotten better at using the gamma graph to boost apparent brightness of the image as well.

WynsWrld98 and Lesmor like this.
post #14876 of 17660 Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Forgot to mention that yes I kept the projector on autobright instead of auto only because I enjoy the image more. It does clip much earlier then auto and also crushes near max nit data and sure I may not see every last detail in a cloud. But overall the trade offs are worth it as it drives that simulated hdr look that I am after far better then auto. I also have been tinkering with brightness and contrast on the digital cinema hdr settings and have been liking pushing brightness up to 56 and contrast down to 34.

Trying to keep this short....I have followed this thread for quite awhile now...I have posted once or twice. I own the 6040UB and have read how multiple owners have been absolutely blown away by the 4K HDR picture the projector can throw after calibration. I am not the type to purchase calibration equipment and learn the in's and out's of properly calibrating the projector but absolutely appreciate everyone else who does and posts their settings! I have used multiple calibrated settings off of the "sheet of calibrations" provided on the thread. I have been quite impressed with a number of them, yet never "blown away" as others have described....until now!

I used Orcus's settings, inputted exactly as he described, including pushing the Brightness to 56 and the Contrast to 34, and I don't know what it is....If we have similar rooms, similar screens, throw distances, who knows.....NOW I can understand and join that same club of people that are absolutely blown away by the 4K HDR picture that the projector outputs! All of the other settings provided on this thread, for me have been a tad too dark, or the colors were a bit "off"...but, not anymore!

I cannot state enough how impressed I am by Orcus's calibrated settings and greatly appreciate the sharing of them! Thanks again Orcus!
monkaquinas and Azekecse like this.
post #14877 of 17660 Old 07-06-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I’m glad your enjoying them! I have tried the harpervision settings and I’m not a fan of them especially since the release of the autobright signal setting. Forcing the projector to the sdr mode significantly raises the black floor and leads to a washed out image in my experience. It was great before because it solved the issue with hdr being way too dark but this is no longer an issue since epson pushed out some core firmware fixes to the signal processing of hdr and we have all gotten better at using the gamma graph to boost apparent brightness of the image as well.

Any chance of providing a link to your latest settings in your signature?
This would ensure followers are using the current versions
monkaquinas likes this.
post #14878 of 17660 Old 07-06-2018, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

super happy with your settings....thank you Sir. quick question, will you please clarify your strength/range settings in HDR dark room? not getting the preset 3.
post #14879 of 17660 Old 07-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ferguson View Post
super happy with your settings....thank you Sir. quick question, will you please clarify your strength/range settings in HDR dark room? not getting the preset 3.

I’m on vacation but it’s located under the image enhancement sub menu located below sharpness if memory serves me right. Send me a pm as a reminder and I’ll post the exact values when I get back next week. Glad your enjoying the settings!

bigbadbob likes this.
post #14880 of 17660 Old 07-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Any chance of providing a link to your latest settings in your signature?

This would ensure followers are using the current versions

Yes I’ll update them and post the link when I’m back from vacation next week.

Lesmor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page