Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 527 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26885Likes

post #15781 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I would like to blast you but I will retain my cool.
I see what you did there, but you would be in the right to blast him. Does anyone really watch football any longer or have we all decided that Sundays (and Saturdays) could be better spent by manicuring our lawns with scissors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15782 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
I have gone back and forth on this a lot and decided that the look of that gamma kind of defeats the purpose of using autobright for me as it removes some of the punchiness of the image. If I want the look it provides I’ll use a variation of robs settings or harpervison. As for bright rooms my settings were developed in my white on white living room so no I would not recommend any changes for your environment. For hapervision you might mess with some of the gamma points 3,4,5 to adjust for some contrast issues we encounter in bright rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you... that makes sense. I’ll keep tweaking.

Btw. @inspector said he would put up some settings for 3D over the coming days. In the meantime do you have any of your own to get me (and potentially others) started?

Once again I really appreciate all the effort you’ve put into this and for sharing it.

post #15783 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN_ View Post
Thank you... that makes sense. I’ll keep tweaking.

Btw. @inspector said he would put up some settings for 3D over the coming days. In the meantime do you have any of your own to get me (and potentially others) started?

Once again I really appreciate all the effort you’ve put into this and for sharing it.

Unfortunately as much as I try I can not stomach active 3D it gives me a terrible headache. But for some simple settings I know others have recommended turning off frame interpolation and the auto iris. Also to do some quick calibration work Disney 3D movies like finding Nemo have some useful test patterns hidden in their menus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15784 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I see what you did there, but you would be in the right to blast him. Does anyone really watch football any longer or have we all decided that Sundays (and Saturdays) could be better spent by manicuring our lawns with scissors?

I agree manicuring lawns with scissors is a much better use of time. Maybe I will toss in drinking an autumnal mead for some added dilly dilly

post #15785 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
For anyone that has spent time calibrating the 5040 with the Panny 820 to utilize the tone mapping feature, would you mind posting your settings? Trying to figure out if I should scrap the custom gamma curve settings and just play with the defaults. Also interested in whether those of you who have messed around with the 820 have gone to the digital cinema mode since my understanding with the tone mapping is you want to convert to SDR 2020. So if you’ve settled on a Natural or Bright Cinema setting prior to the 820 due to HDR being to dark, are you now seeing the digital cinema mode as a better picture since it covers most of the P3 gamut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
I upgraded to the 5040UB in April and have been upgrading the components through my systems to get to 4K and finally added the UB820 a couple of weeks ago. I’ve enjoyed Rob’s and Orcus video settings and finally decided to jump into a calibration of my own (no light meter or cal SW).
I used the DVE, Spears, and WOW discs to dial in the SDR/BT2020 video based on a recommendation from Kris and his testing of the 820 and its tone mapping. My first pass was with the DVE and then the Spears disc, and finally the WOW disc that has great video tests from actual movies.
I discovered a big red push with Surrogates and Pirates and I used the 820 to dial it back under a second profile. It seemed better, still bothers me that I had to set 2 SDR settings in the 820 after dialing in the 5040.
I then pulled up the Masciola HDR patterns and ran thru them to ensure that there wasn’t anything too off. Below are my settings while watching John Wick UHD. I need to figure out Gamma and how it affects the image and do another pass. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
You are welcome to give these a spin. I haven't used Digital Cinema, I prefer to run in Eco with Med and I have to give that up for more light. It all comes down to your room and preference.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
post #15786 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM

I think I've figured out what the one minute super ramp-up fan speed on this projector is for after every x-number of turn-ons. The other day I had a dust spot that covered the equivalent of 3 pixels. I blew non-compressed air across the lens and the dust was still there, which means it was on the mirrors. Then today I turned on the projector and it did its fan thing. I looked at the screen and the dust spot was gone. Do you think this is some undocumented self-cleaning mechanism that supposed to blast air across the mirrors every so often?
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #15787 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I think I've figured out what the one minute super ramp-up fan speed on this projector is for after every x-number of turn-ons. The other day I had a dust spot that covered the equivalent of 3 pixels. I blew non-compressed air across the lens and the dust was still there, which means it was on the mirrors. Then today I turned on the projector and it did its fan thing. I looked at the screen and the dust spot was gone. Do you think this is some undocumented self-cleaning mechanism that supposed to blast air across the mirrors every so often?
It might be, but if so I would advertise such a thing.

On my part I have a infrared temp sensor next to my Pj and noticed that every time it does that it's exactly 69*
post #15788 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post
It might be, but if so I would advertise such a thing.

On my part I have a infrared temp sensor next to my Pj and noticed that every time it does that it's exactly 69*
I agree that it should be advertised. I don't think it has anything to do with temperature (my dedicated, climate-controlled theater is a constant 72-73 degrees year round) - the older projectors had their cool-down right after you put the projector into sleep mode. I'm going to start taking a tally of how many startups until the next fan boost, but I'm starting to think that it's based on lamp hours usage instead, which would make more sense.
post #15789 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 699
I don’t think they would ever list that as a feature. That would be admitting that dust gets into the light path and can cause an issue. Blowing it out may or may not solve it at startup.
post #15790 of 17663 Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So does anyone have a summary of the latest settings from all the main players in this thread? It seems that doing a search, there seems to be variations of settings from the same people so I'm not sure what's the most recent.

Also, does anyone use a Panasonic UB900 with this projector? Are there any settings on the player I can take advantage of to get a better picture with this projector?
post #15791 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yes I have I’ll pull my bright room sports settings tonight and post them up for you. And why would you get blasted this projector is excellent for battling lots of light as it’s a proverbial light cannon of a projector?

Looking forward to these but also another question regarding the screen... You are a strong proponent of grey alr screens. But how are they at an angle? I sit quite close up to the screen (around 9/10ft away) and have a large screen (135inch) so would the sides appear dimmer than the center of the screen or would it mean having to get a smaller screen? I had a da-lite white screen for a few years which now needs replacing so trying to see whether to get something like the elite cinewhite or their cinegrey 5d to go with this projector. I have white walls, white ceiling, and a window with full blackout curtains.

post #15792 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
So does anyone have a summary of the latest settings from all the main players in this thread? It seems that doing a search, there seems to be variations of settings from the same people so I'm not sure what's the most recent.

Also, does anyone use a Panasonic UB900 with this projector? Are there any settings on the player I can take advantage of to get a better picture with this projector?

I do but I can’t attach any files or post any pictures on my new phone as Tapatalk is broken for those functions on the Xs Max lol

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot I brought my computer home here ya go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5040UB Settings.pdf (180.5 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 10-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
post #15793 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I do but I can’t attach any files or post any pictures on my new phone as Tapatalk is broken for those functions on the Xs Max lol

Dude, you are THE MAN! Thank you
post #15794 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Settings - easy compare

I took the PDF that was provided and turned it into a table format so all the settings could be easily compared.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5040UB Settings 1 Sheet.pdf (7.6 KB, 311 views)
bigbadbob, ayrton, Lesmor and 3 others like this.
post #15795 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Looking forward to these but also another question regarding the screen... You are a strong proponent of grey alr screens. But how are they at an angle? I sit quite close up to the screen (around 9/10ft away) and have a large screen (135inch) so would the sides appear dimmer than the center of the screen or would it mean having to get a smaller screen? I had a da-lite white screen for a few years which now needs replacing so trying to see whether to get something like the elite cinewhite or their cinegrey 5d to go with this projector. I have white walls, white ceiling, and a window with full blackout curtains.

I don’t know how you sit that close to a 135” screen lol I sit the same distance and have 100” and it’s maxing the limits of what I find comfortable for a 16x9 image. Now I totally would take a 135” scope screen! With that said I have no issues with my cinegrey 3D and sitting that close, the image is very uniform and acceptably viewable out to 135+ degrees. For your environment I would absolutely think about an alr screen, order some samples from elite to get an idea.

post #15796 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Dude, you are THE MAN! Thank you

Anytime, you’re very welcome!

post #15797 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmattyb View Post
I took the PDF that was provided and turned it into a table format so all the settings could be easily compared.

Awesome thank you

post #15798 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmattyb View Post
Thank you! And thanks to the guys in this thread doing the hard work and providing us with custom settings
post #15799 of 17663 Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:

Hmmmm, according to that pdf it doesn’t show any greyscale or CMS adjustments. I’m pretty sure I updated those and posted them here somewhere. I wonder if that’s why Orcus keeps saying mine look flat and washed out, which in ALL recollection from when I had some 5040s here, was far from being the case?

I’ll have to do some searching for them when I have a chance.
post #15800 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Hmmmm, according to that pdf it doesn’t show any greyscale or CMS adjustments. I’m pretty sure I updated those and posted them here somewhere. I wonder if that’s why Orcus keeps saying mine look flat and washed out, which in ALL recollection from when I had some 5040s here, was far from being the case?

Awesome thank you Dave. The settings in that file is what’s linked in your signature. I looked through the better part of this thread for cms adjustments by yourself and only came across some by another user. Thanks in advance for looking for the cms adjustments I’d love to give them a try if you find them.

Buckeye Dave likes this.
post #15801 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:

I have been trawling back in history to try to find these settings in their entirety but it seems you hadn’t logged them down in the first place Dave. It would be great if you could find them though just in case you stored them in that safe place no one can ever remember where it is!

To save everyone the trouble of going back through this thread... here are snippets from the past... and also a potential fix/‘restoration’ by Oledurt in case the complete original real deal Harpervision is ‘lost from the archives forever’

Quote:
I still recommend it, if that counts?

Those settings are good, although you have to do the CMS settings yourself since they got lost somehow in the process and I haven't had a 5040 here since to update it. I can't stress this enough though, you have to tweak them to your system and environment and you have to do it well. Believe me, when you hit the right combo of settings, your jaw concurrently hits the floor!

It is only for HDR signals, not SDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
Oledurt's take on Harpervision.

Color Mode Digital Cinema
Brightness 53 (please adjust this to your screen)
Contrast 100
Color Saturation 73
Tint 50

Sharpness all 0

Color Temp 4
Skin Tone 3

[Customized]
Offset R 48
Offset G 48
Offset B 50
Gain R 48
Gain G 61
Gain B 34

Image Enhancement Off
Super Resolution all 0
Detail Enhancement all 0

Power Consumption High
Auto Iris Normal

Gamma (from left to right)
0,-14,-24,-26,-27,-28,-26,15,32

[RGBCMY]

R
Hue 50 Saturation 23 Brightness 50
G
Hue 78 Saturation 8 Brightness 50
B
Hue 68 Saturation 30 Brightness 50
C
Hue 56 Saturation 31 Brightness 50
M
Hue 76 Saturation 31 Brightness 50
Y
Hue 44 Saturation 29 Brightness 50

Epson Super White Off
Lens Iris 0

HDMI Video Range Normal
Color space BT.2020
Dynamic Range SDR
Image Processing Fine

No HD Fury, and all settings on the blu ray player at default.

The CMS was calibrated using HDR 1 tone mapping so I do not know how these translate to Harpervision, but to my eye watching various material it looks pretty good to me.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Totally agree! I can't tell you how glad I am that you tried it again with your calibrated settings since I was stupid and didn't get my final numbers for CMS and greyscale!

Just remember though that mine also include CMS and greyscale calibrated settings. I just didn't remember to snap photos of the menus before I boxed it up and shipped it to its new owner when I finally got done at almost 3am and was delirious! .

bigbadbob likes this.
post #15802 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I don’t know how you sit that close to a 135” screen lol I sit the same distance and have 100” and it’s maxing the limits of what I find comfortable for a 16x9 image. Now I totally would take a 135” scope screen! With that said I have no issues with my cinegrey 3D and sitting that close, the image is very uniform and acceptably viewable out to 135+ degrees. For your environment I would absolutely think about an alr screen, order some samples from elite to get an idea.

Lol. What can I say? I enjoy the IMAX experience at home. Friends and family here call it the TMAX

I’m actually contemplating a scope screen this size (133”) and using it for most 16:9 viewings (with the smaller viewing area) ... except for real IMAX presentations such as Dunkirk etc where I roll down a separate similar size (135”) 16:9 screen. That way I get the best of both worlds and makes the ‘IMAX’ experience not a normal day to day thing and truly immersive.

I already have the cinegrey 5d and the maxwhite samples but they are so small I cannot compare the brightness levels from when they are in the centre and on the edge of the viewing area. I do notice a difference in brightness on the cinegrey 5d being dimmer when I place it on the edge of the viewing area but i don’t know how much it is compared to the centre and if I’d notice it. I may need two samples of each fabric. Lol.

I know we are veering slightly off topic here but I guess it’s related to getting the best out of this projector... but is the cinegrey 3d any different to the 5D as it’s not available on the tab tensioned roll down screens which is a must for me as the screen rolls down to cover the tv on the same wall (only the 5D is)

post #15803 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I have been trawling back in history to try to find these settings in their entirety but it seems you hadn’t logged them down in the first place Dave. It would be great if you could find them though just in case you stored them in that safe place no one can ever remember where it is!

To save everyone the trouble of going back through this thread... here are snippets from the past... and also a potential fix/‘restoration’ by Oledurt in case the complete original real deal Harpervision is ‘lost from the archives forever’

As he points out above Dave never did post greyscale and CMS settings
Also since his settings and Oledurts tweak there has been a firmware update so I suspect the HDR1 tone mapped setting that Oledurt refers to is no longer valid as they changed with the new firmware
post #15804 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Anytime, let me know what you think! Also I noticed this morning an error in hdr gamma point 7. It’s supposed to be 26 not 31

Does this still stand?
post #15805 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Awesome thank you Dave. The settings in that file is what’s linked in your signature. I looked through the better part of this thread for cms adjustments by yourself and only came across some by another user. Thanks in advance for looking for the cms adjustments I’d love to give them a try if you find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
As he points out above Dave never did post greyscale and CMS settings

Also since his settings and Oledurts tweak there has been a firmware update so I suspect the HDR1 tone mapped setting that Oledurt refers to is no longer valid as they changed with the new firmware

Quote:

Oh now I remember that. Thanks for jogging my old memory guys! I had thought the client came through with sending the settings back to me or posting them but I guess not.

It should be fairly easy for someone with the right gear to get though. Just input what settings are there, tweak user settings to the environment and then do a calibration of he greyscale and CMS. If someone could do that it would be awesome! (Or send me your 5040/6040 and I’ll do a free calibration on it for you and post the results).
post #15806 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Oh now I remember that. Thanks for jogging my old memory guys! I had thought the client came through with sending the settings back to me or posting them but I guess not.

It should be fairly easy for someone with the right gear to get though. Just input what settings are there, tweak user settings to the environment and then do a calibration of he greyscale and CMS. If someone could do that it would be awesome! (Or send me your 5040/6040 and I’ll do a free calibration on it for you and post the results).

I’ll give it a whirl the next time I get a free day and maybe @robc1976 will if he gets a chance as well.

Dave Harper likes this.
post #15807 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

@OrcusVaruna & @Dave Harper ,
I am not sure if you are familiar with Panny 820 dynamic HDR Optimizer. If I use HDR optimizer ON, does the settings posted here are still a good choice? Does custom Gamma settings of 5040UB needs to be reset to 0?
Currently I am using Digital Cinema, gamma @ +2 and Auto Bright. Image looks good but I feel like there is more potential with 5040/820 combo.
post #15808 of 17663 Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Liked: 65
Quote:
I went with a 16:9 150" Seymour AV screen with seating at 12' and 18'. My thinking was if I'm going through the exercise of a classy front projection setup I wanted pretty much as much picture as my room would allow. With that being said I enjoy both rows but the front row can be overwhelming for newbies (especially if there is lots of fast action). Some people love the front, others prefer the back. Having the option is pretty sweet though.

Quote:

The one PDF floating around here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post55178352

This one has your settings with oledurt's suggestions which have CMS values (I personally use that but with a color temp of 5--which might be a typo). We talked about sending mine to you last year but I chickened out, it's a long round trip and I am very happy with the settings and my setup. However, if you do get an Epson to tweak again an SDR2020 2.4 gamma calibration would be amazing.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #15809 of 17663 Old 10-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyab View Post
@OrcusVaruna & @Dave Harper ,

I am not sure if you are familiar with Panny 820 dynamic HDR Optimizer. If I use HDR optimizer ON, does the settings posted here are still a good choice? Does custom Gamma settings of 5040UB needs to be reset to 0?

Currently I am using Digital Cinema, gamma @ +2 and Auto Bright. Image looks good but I feel like there is more potential with 5040/820 combo.

Yes you can use my settings with the Panasonic HDR Optimizer on. If you leave it at default it’ll tone map to about 1,000 Nits and my HarperVision settings are mapped to about 1,100 nits iirc. There may be a setting or two that needs tweaked a few clicks but nothing drastic I’d imagine. This seems like it could work well with 4,000 nit+ transfers so it pre-tone maps the signal so you don’t have to adjust my base settings for higher nit transfers.

You aren’t talking about converting HDR to SDR, right? Because that won’t work because my settings are based on receiving a full HDR PQ gamma signal.
satyab likes this.
post #15810 of 17663 Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Liked: 65
Quote:
Yes you can use my settings with the Panasonic HDR Optimizer on. If you leave it at default it’ll tone map to about 1,000 Nits and my HarperVision settings are mapped to about 1,100 nits iirc. There may be a setting or two that needs tweaked a few clicks but nothing drastic I’d imagine. This seems like it could work well with 4,000 nit+ transfers so it pre-tone maps the signal so you don’t have to adjust my base settings for higher nit transfers.

You aren’t talking about converting HDR to SDR, right? Because that won’t work because my settings are based on receiving a full HDR PQ gamma signal.
As long as he retains the HDR and sets his display type in the player to Middle Luminance it will map content based on it's metadata to 1000nits and it will look very good with HarperVision. Obviously, 4,000nit+ disks show the biggest improvements. Blade Runner 2049, for example is mastered at 10,000 but the MaxCLL is something like 200 so you'll see the entire picture brighten significantly. Meanwhile, a movie like Mad Max is mastered at like 4000 but has a MaxCLL of like 10,000 so you'll see the white clipped areas of the picture dim and display more contrast (if that's the right word for it). To me, it also seems to eliminate the complaints people had about the fire looking overly fake as well.

Edit: I was wrong about BR2049. It brightened in SDR2020 mode not HDR. I'm sure there is some technical reason.
satyab likes this.

Last edited by Lithium; 10-06-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page