Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 540 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26939Likes

post #16171 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
Thank you and here are the different settings I came up with 4K Blu, 4K 60hz HDR Gaming, HDR Netflix, and SDR Content. Let me know how they work for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello there,

I set up my 5040 with these settings that you used with your XBOX S...I'm using a Sony UDP-X800 player....These settings did work the best for me out of all other trys.....However, for my room, some scenes can be a bit on the light side......Any suggestions on what I could do to tone down a bit of the brights without messing up the picture.....It just seems a tiny bit washed out....just want to add a bit more color to it...I wasn't sure on which setting to change....the Gamma or ???? Thanks for your help...much appreciated!!
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16172 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN_ View Post
Looking forward to these but also another question regarding the screen... You are a strong proponent of grey alr screens. But how are they at an angle? I sit quite close up to the screen (around 9/10ft away) and have a large screen (135inch) so would the sides appear dimmer than the center of the screen or would it mean having to get a smaller screen? I had a da-lite white screen for a few years which now needs replacing so trying to see whether to get something like the elite cinewhite or their cinegrey 5d to go with this projector. I have white walls, white ceiling, and a window with full blackout curtains.

I'm in a similar situation. Have a 16:9 150" Cinegrey 1.3 and LOVE it!
But recently took out side cabinets and now have way more room and have noticed most films are in 2:35 and have been wanting to go 2:35 while keeping the same height as my 16:9 150" that I have been use to (for films that are still in 16:9 and gaming) and looks like I have to go with a 175" at 2:35 and unfortunately Elite Screens does NOT make the Cinegrey 1.3 in that size

They only have White 1.1 and Cinegrey 1.5. The grey gives such an AMAZING contrast and deeper blacks especially for darker films like Star Wars. And feel 1.5 in the grey world is WAY too much. My room is panted a dark color including the ceiling and at night it is pitch black. I've never used white so not sure what to expect if I go that route.

Any opinions/thoughts?

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #16173 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
It would be awesome if you could share the values from your calibration!

Will do
Lithium likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16174 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Not sure if my other reply went through....Sorry if it"s a duplicate.....

I set up my 5040 with these settings that Orcus Varuna used with the XBOX S...I'm using a Sony UDP-X800 player....These settings did work the best for me out of all other tries.....However, for my room, some scenes can be a bit on the light side......Any suggestions on what I could do to tone down a bit of the brights without messing up the picture.....It just seems a tiny bit washed out....just want to add a bit more color to it...I wasn't sure on which setting to change....the Gamma or ???? Thanks for your help...much appreciated!!
post #16175 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkman1 View Post
Not sure if my other reply went through....Sorry if it"s a duplicate.....

I set up my 5040 with these settings that Orcus Varuna used with the XBOX S...I'm using a Sony UDP-X800 player....These settings did work the best for me out of all other tries.....However, for my room, some scenes can be a bit on the light side......Any suggestions on what I could do to tone down a bit of the brights without messing up the picture.....It just seems a tiny bit washed out....just want to add a bit more color to it...I wasn't sure on which setting to change....the Gamma or ???? Thanks for your help...much appreciated!!

Try my newer settings using natural instead of bright cinema. The PDF was posted a few posts back

post #16176 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
I'm in a similar situation. Have a 16:9 150" Cinegrey 1.3 and LOVE it!
But recently took out side cabinets and now have way more room and have noticed most films are in 2:35 and have been wanting to go 2:35 while keeping the same height as my 16:9 150" that I have been use to (for films that are still in 16:9 and gaming) and looks like I have to go with a 175" at 2:35 and unfortunately Elite Screens does NOT make the Cinegrey 1.3 in that size

They only have White 1.1 and Cinegrey 1.5. The grey gives such an AMAZING contrast and deeper blacks especially for darker films like Star Wars. And feel 1.5 in the grey world is WAY too much. My room is panted a dark color including the ceiling and at night it is pitch black. I've never used white so not sure what to expect if I go that route.

Any opinions/thoughts?

Get a sample of the 1.5 they aren’t that different and the hot spotting you typically get with the 1.5 at smaller sizes should be an issue at all with 175” screen

WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #16177 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Get a sample of the 1.5 they aren’t that different and the hot spotting you typically get with the 1.5 at smaller sizes should be an issue at all with 175” screen

You guys are talking about the Elite Cinegrey 5D, right? Some might say talking about screens is off topic but my question is in regard to the Epson 5040. Regarding how the 5040 projects does this apply/is compatible with the 5040 (stated in the Cinegrey 5D specs):
  • 88% polarization retention
  • Angular-Reflective and Ambient Light Rejecting technology
post #16178 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
You guys are talking about the Elite Cinegrey 5D, right? Some might say talking about screens is off topic but my question is in regard to the Epson 5040. Regarding how the 5040 projects does this apply/is compatible with the 5040 (stated in the Cinegrey 5D specs):

Yes we’re talking about the Elite Cinegray 5D, which is compatible with the 5040.

As an aside, I personally think screen match conversations with this particular projector are perfectly valid discussion points for this thread as a screen is a vital component of displaying the best image possible. The 88% polarization retention means reduced cross talk with passive 3D (not applicable with this projector) and the angular reflective terminology is highlighting that the screen material rejects ambient off angle light.

WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #16179 of 17871 Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Well, aside from electricity and program material (and of course the quadratic equation of Harpers/Orcus settings) the screens is MOST important.
I don't think anyone can say screen is off topic, since regardless of how perfect any settings are. You kinda need a screen to watch it on

I have the 3D, and it is prefect and really set on it. But as I inquired in my previous post, I am going to a larger screen where only Cinewhite 1.1 or Cinegrey 5D is available. I feel the 1.5 is way too much. I thought about getting samples, but I would have to get half a dozen to make a larger square collage to really get a better idea since mine is 150" and samples are typically 11x8.5"

Wanted to see if anyone out there had a Cinegrey and went to Elite Screens White and what differences did they notice?

Did you lose out on blacks being darker as they are in the ALR greys?
Did 3D movies at least pop out better on the white?

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #16180 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Try my newer settings using natural instead of bright cinema. The PDF was posted a few posts back

Thanks for replying Orcus Varuna.......I tried the "Natural" settings, but the colors aren't vibrant enough when playing a 4K disc......I like your Bright Cinema settings except for me, the whites need toned down a bit and colors a bit more vibrant. If I could figure out a combination of your bright setting and the default dynamic setting, that might work. I don't have the experience with gamma settings, etc......Can you give me a few tips on toning down the whites and keeping the colors deep enough...I tried turning down the brightness, but that didn't help? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Thx so much!!!
post #16181 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for replying Orcus Varuna.......I tried the "Natural" settings, but the colors aren't vibrant enough when playing a 4K disc......I like your Bright Cinema settings except for me, the whites need toned down a bit and colors a bit more vibrant. If I could figure out a combination of your bright setting and the default dynamic setting, that might work. I don't have the experience with gamma settings, etc......Can you give me a few tips on toning down the whites and keeping the colors deep enough...I tried turning down the brightness, but that didn't help? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Thx so much!!!

It has to do with the gamma of that bright cinema setting you would really need a meter and hdr patterns to fix it properly. To increase the vibrance of the colors using my natural settings just boost the color saturation up to around 80. The colors will be over saturated in complete accuracy terms but will give you the desired “dynamic” look.

post #16182 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Thanks again for replying so quickly....I tried turning up the saturation to 80 with Natural setting, but still wasn't happy with the picture. The bright cinema with the auto bright default setting seems to work pretty well for me too..Dynamic looks good, but has some slight yellow overtones...I don't have access to a meter or knowledge to test that....I have the Disney Wow calibration blu ray that came out a while ago, but I'm sure that's way out of date these days. Plus, after a while, it seems your eyes starting playing tricks on you.) Also, once you get one disc looking okay, another disc may look different......
post #16183 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Thanks again for replying so quickly....I tried turning up the saturation to 80 with Natural setting, but still wasn't happy with the picture. The bright cinema with the auto bright default setting seems to work pretty well for me too..Dynamic looks good, but has some slight yellow overtones...I don't have access to a meter or knowledge to test that....I have the Disney Wow calibration blu ray that came out a while ago, but I'm sure that's way out of date these days. Plus, after a while, it seems your eyes starting playing tricks on you.) Also, once you get one disc looking okay, another disc may look different......
You can't use WOW for HDR settings. If you have a dark (light controlled) room, I would re-try Harpervision which uses Digital Cinema as it will give you a good colour palate. Remember to set the dynamic range to SDR when using it.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S2 surround, XTZ 1X12 subwoofer, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #16184 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the update...I'll give the Harpervision settings a try again....To clarify, using Harpervision's digital cinema setting, do I keep the customized color temps at their default level.....??? Thx
post #16185 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Thanks for the update...I'll give the Harpervision settings a try again....To clarify, using Harpervision's digital cinema setting, do I keep the customized color temps at their default level.....??? Thx
We don't have these settings so default or tweak to your taste.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S2 surround, XTZ 1X12 subwoofer, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #16186 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, all. First-time post (but have been a lurker on this forum for about a month). I've decided to get the 5040ub. It arrives next week, along with a 110" Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 ALR screen. Distance from the projector to screen is about 13'. I get that 18mbps would be ideal, but there is next to no info on when the 5040ub replacement is set to arrive. Maybe they announce at CES '19, but even then, it could be a month to six months before they are available. Plus, I got a screamingly good deal on the Epson.

My set-up is in a basement with two window wells 0one alongside the projector, and one about 25' across the room). Not huge ambient light, but some. I have the following equipment:

AVR:
- Denon AVR-S930H

Gaming devices:
- PS4 (older)
- Nintendo Switch

Streaming devices:
- Chromecast 4K (will this output in 4K/24?)
- Fire Stick 4K (because we use our Fire HD10 (current gen) tablet with our Harmony hub as a remote)

Remote:
Harmony Companion w hub (although we use a FireHD10 tablet as the primary remote-I sideloaded the Harmony app)

Any thoughts on settings? Looks like Orcus and Harpervision are popular here. Would they work for my room/set-up? Any others I should consider? Anything else you'd want to know become answering?
post #16187 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Thanks avtoronto for the help...I retried the Harpervision settings ...This time I made sure I had everything as listed.....It looks fantastic for HDR....I think the problem I had previously were my gamma settings were incorrect...........I've found that the bright cinema (auto bright) works best for me with standard blu rays. I also found that the Ultra Premium 4k discs look the best ...such as The Revenant and The Martian for some examples......Thanks again for the help!!! Much appreciated!!
post #16188 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes7 View Post
Hi, all. First-time post (but have been a lurker on this forum for about a month). I've decided to get the 5040ub. It arrives next week, along with a 110" Screen Innovations Slate 1.2 ALR screen. Distance from the projector to screen is about 13'. I get that 18mbps would be ideal, but there is next to no info on when the 5040ub replacement is set to arrive. Maybe they announce at CES '19, but even then, it could be a month to six months before they are available. Plus, I got a screamingly good deal on the Epson.

My set-up is in a basement with two window wells 0one alongside the projector, and one about 25' across the room). Not huge ambient light, but some. I have the following equipment:

AVR:

- Denon AVR-S930H

Gaming devices:

- PS4 (older)

- Nintendo Switch

Streaming devices:

- Chromecast 4K (will this output in 4K/24?)

- Fire Stick 4K (because we use our Fire HD10 (current gen) tablet with our Harmony hub as a remote)

Remote:

Harmony Companion w hub (although we use a FireHD10 tablet as the primary remote-I sideloaded the Harmony app)

Any thoughts on settings? Looks like Orcus and Harpervision are popular here. Would they work for my room/set-up? Any others I should consider? Anything else you'd want to know become answering?

My settings would work well for you as I run a Cinegrey 3d which is a comparable screen to the slate 1.2.

post #16189 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 05:53 PM

Question for Dave (or anyone else who can answer). If I wanted to run Harpervision using the 820, what settings would I use on the player? Currently on my 900, I leave everything default. Would it be the same case with the 820? or is there a bit more to it?
post #16190 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Question for Dave (or anyone else who can answer). If I wanted to run Harpervision using the 820, what settings would I use on the player? Currently on my 900, I leave everything default. Would it be the same case with the 820? or is there a bit more to it?

I would leave it with HDR/BT2020 active just like your 900, but engage the HDR Optimizer so it can tone map 4,000 nit titles down to about 1,000 nits since my HarperVision is based on I believe around 1,000 - 1,200 nits for that model.

I would also try SDR/BT2020 on it using a standard SDR setting with a gamma of about 2.4, just to see how it looks in comparison.
post #16191 of 17871 Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I would leave it with HDR/BT2020 active just like your 900, but engage the HDR Optimizer so it can tone map 4,000 nit titles down to about 1,000 nits since my HarperVision is based on I believe around 1,000 - 1,200 nits for that model.

I would also try SDR/BT2020 on it using a standard SDR setting with a gamma of about 2.4, just to see how it looks in comparison.
Thanks, what about the screen type? Do I select Projector (500 nits), or the middle one which is 1000 nits?

and when you say 'standard SDR setting', what are you referring to?
post #16192 of 17871 Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got 5040UB in February '18, and I projected the image to cover a full 9' sage green wall. Amazingly, the projector renders the image very well during daylight or lights on (6-LED daylight bulbs), and it seems better than all of Carl's sample. Anyway, I use the projector as daily TV in the living room. I have always use ECO mode Bright Cinema, or ECO mode Cinema (movie). Epson rated the lamp up to 5000 hours on ECO mode. So far, the lamp life is about 2100 hours. This is my first projector. My question is when the lamp goes out, does it just die or blow up?

sage green https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1eadda8a88.jpg
post #16193 of 17871 Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Thanks, what about the screen type? Do I select Projector (500 nits), or the middle one which is 1000 nits?

I would say use the 1,000 nit one, but try both and pay particular attention to the white highlight details to make sure they aren’t blown out.

Standard SDR setting would be be the same mode that you use to watch things like standard HD Blurays, HDTV cable/satellite, etc.
post #16194 of 17871 Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
I would say use the 1,000 nit one, but try both and pay particular attention to the white highlight details to make sure they aren’t blown out.

Standard SDR setting would be be the same mode that you use to watch things like standard HD Blurays, HDTV cable/satellite, etc.
Hello Dave,
question about this with regards to other UHD players such as the Sony ubp-x800 that I own. Are there any setting (if the ones mentioned above aren't available) that need to be tweaked in other to maximize the picture quality?

Currently outside of indicating screen size, shape (ratio 16:9), and 4k upscaling of non-4k discs, I don't make any other adjustments to the picture/video settings. The same can be said for my Pioneer SC-99 AVR, I have that so that it simply passes the video through without adding any enhancements.

Just wondering if there are any other settings that should be adjusted in order to maximize picture quality?
post #16195 of 17871 Old 12-07-2018, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

As I've advised before with the 820, people should use the 'Middle Luminance' setting with HarperVision. Using the 'Projector' setting will noticeably lower peak white brightness.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #16196 of 17871 Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nith View Post
I got 5040UB in February '18, and I projected the image to cover a full 9' sage green wall. Amazingly, the projector renders the image very well during daylight or lights on (6-LED daylight bulbs), and it seems better than all of Carl's sample. Anyway, I use the projector as daily TV in the living room. I have always use ECO mode Bright Cinema, or ECO mode Cinema (movie). Epson rated the lamp up to 5000 hours on ECO mode. So far, the lamp life is about 2100 hours. This is my first projector. My question is when the lamp goes out, does it just die or blow up?

sage green https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1eadda8a88.jpg
Usually you would receive a projector message. I run my lamp on medium mode which is rated at 3500 Hrs., I swapped out the lamp and filter @ 3200 hrs. On a secondary note thus far I have not gotten the fast startup, interestingly enough.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.3.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: F/L/SBR/SBL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SL/SR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Def Tech ProMon 1000 (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"

Last edited by Azekecse; 12-09-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #16197 of 17871 Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
Usually you would receive a projector message. I run my lamp on medium mode which is rated at 3500 Hrs., I swapped out the lamp and filter @ 3200 hrs. On a secondary note thus far I have not gotten the fast startup, interestingly enough.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
It will certainly not blow up or stop working due to hours.
If you wait so long so that you will get a message you have probably seen by your self that colors are wahsed out.

Washed out colors starts pretty early, but normaly you get used of slowly degrees of brighness and you will notice it as soon as you change to a new lamp
post #16198 of 17871 Old 12-10-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:

Try 500 ime it doesn’t blow out whites it just compresses the image to 500 nits max. It sounds like it would hurt the image but I find it just brightens everything thing up nicely that is lower nits (which is 95% of a film anyway) so I personally use that. I also find that it noticeably lowers peak white brightness which I don’t mind since I use autobright with my settings and not SDR like those of you that use Hapervision.

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 12-10-2018 at 03:03 AM.
post #16199 of 17871 Old 12-10-2018, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Dave I am going to be moving soon and have to take the projector down anyway so I might be able to take you up on that offer. What state do you live in? With my luck probably Hawaii or Alaska so shipping will be about $400 from Florida
Quote:
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner!!! I am in Hawaii! but ............

.......I get super amazing rates with UPS from my job so I can setup the label and pass the savings on to you and then you just pay me the shipping costs.

@OrcusVaruna Did you get to move house ... and send your projector to Dave for free calibration? Or is this still yet to happen?

monkaquinas likes this.
post #16200 of 17871 Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN_ View Post
@OrcusVaruna Did you get to move house ... and send your projector to Dave for free calibration? Or is this still yet to happen?

I did not take advantage of it lol. By the time I got around to taking the projector down I was in full move mode unfortunately. Then when I got to my new place I really wanted to watch the giants try and go undefeated down the stretch so back up went the projector as soon as I moved in. The Giants lost and I don’t have a projector calibrated by Dave.

Dave Harper and dholmes54 like this.

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 12-10-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page