AVS Forum banner

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

3M views 22K replies 2K participants last post by  ask_j 
#1 · (Edited)

MSRP: $2999.00

SCROLL DOWN FOR KNOWN ISSUES

The brilliant HDR-compatible home theater projector with 4K Enhancementb.

Offering exceptional color performance, the Home Cinema 5040UB delivers immersive experiences. Featuring 4K Enhancement Technology, this brilliant home theater projector supports 4K streaming devices and Ultra HD Blu-ray content. It's also compatible with High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, displaying an extraordinary range of brightness levels with deep, dramatic blacks. Delivering 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness, the 5040UB is ideal for a variety of rooms. Its expansive color gamut displays the entire sRGB and DCI color spaces3. A 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio ensures rich detail in both bright and dark scenes, while its 16-piece glass lens achieves stunning clarity.

Up to 3x Brighter Colors with Epson*

Brilliant image quality requires high color brightness. Epson 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Brighter Colors than leading competitive projectors.* Delivering 2500 lumens of color brightness and 2500 lumens of white brightness, the PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB uses 3LCD, 3-chip technology for brilliant images with true-to-life color.

Model:V11H71302

Projection System:Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine

Native Resolution:1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4K enhancement

Color Brightness:2500 lumens

White Brightness:2500 lumens

Product Guides & Additional Information:

http://m.epson.com/alf_upload/pdfs/projectors/brochure_5040UB_specs.pdf

Key Features

Bright and Colorful

Features 2500 lumens of color brightness (color light output)1 and 2500 lumens of white brightness (white light output)1

4K Enhancement Technology

Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology delivers astonishing picture quality — every subtle intricacy is captured.

Contrast Ratio

Up to 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio

Lens Shift

Equipped with horizontal and vertical lens shift, to help configure projector setup

1080p

Supports full HD 1080p resolution

3-Dimensional Picture

2D & 3D Full HD technology puts you right in the middle of exciting, lifelike adventures, and Bright 3D Drive allows for bright, 3D projection.

4K Enhancement Technology— accepts 4K input and supports HDCP 2.2 for truly immersive scenes with 4K content

HDR compatible — enjoy HDR content, with an extremely wide range of brightness levels for images bursting with real-life color

Bright — ideal for a variety of lighting conditions.

The Home Cinema 5040UB has:

Color Brightness: 2500 lumens2

White Brightness: 2500 lumens2

Expansive color gamut — get brilliant, color-rich performance that displays the entire sRGB color space, plus DCI in Digital Cinema Mode

Dramatic Ultra Black levels — an improved iris design delivers up to a 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio

Remarkable new cinema lens — designed and manufactured in Japan, it features a 16-piece glass structure optimized for 4K performance and precision

Epson Image Enhancement Technology — features Super-resolution and improved Detail Enhancement to sharpen and refine images for lifelike smoothness and clarity

Powered lens position memory — preset up to 10 positions for motorized focus, zoom and lens shift; features 2.1x zoom and ultra wide lens shift

Outstanding service — 2-year limited warranty and toll-free support

Eco Features

RoHS compliant

Recyclable product4

Epson America, Inc. is a SmartWay[emoji769] Transport Partner5

For more information on Epson's environmental programs, go to www.epson.com/environment

****TIPS****

Manually Setting HDR
Menu -> Signal -> Advanced

**********video explaining 4:4:4**********

Royboy 365 suggested a spot for known issues

*****KNOWN ISSUES*****

From Epson regarding the HDR issue:

Epson is aware of this, and so far the testing has shown only one manufactures (Philips) where it does do the HDR. There has been a request to the engineers for a fix.

The Samsung UBD-8500 does not pass 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. Waiting on firmware update.

Kpump is also reporting that the Epson does not detect HDR from the shield after trying several cables.

Looks like the Philips player is the only player that provides HDR to the Epson at this time.

Member Ix reports being able to stream in HDR on Nvidia device. I do not have the latest Panasonic UHD player to report on that.

Thanks to cnorth12
Samsung player has HDR streaming through Amazon App.

No Netflix HDR as of yet. Firmware update supposedly anytime, but who knows?

Philips has only 2 apps, Netflix and Youtube no HDR.

Xbox One S offers Netflix HDR streaming but that's it and of course the 4k blu-ray player that comes built in

From wbcollegekid
I spoke to one of the senior technical gurus at Epson. Several days ago I alerted them to the fact that the Samsung UBD-8500 was not passing 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. The guy who I spoke to today said because of that they went and purchased the Xbox One S, Samsung, and Phillips. As I stated yesterday, and now confirmed by Epson, the Phillips is the only player capable of doing 10/12bit. The Rec.2020 is only a container for the P3 color space. The Epson cannot natively do Rec.2020. When the Epson receives HDR, it converts it to the HDR2 preset, which is for P3 color space for the Digital Cinema setting. However, manually switching to HDR1 preset in Bright Cinema mode gives you P3 color space. Bright Cinema mode is best for HDR.The partial 12bit in the manual refers to it dithering 10bit signal to 12bit. Many current TVs that advertise HDR are 8bit that dither to 10bit. All in all, I am very happy with the capabilities of this projector

So here's my latest crack at trying to sum up compatibility between the Epsons and various devices. This isn't perfect. Please post corrections with supporting pictures or documentation. If we can get this close to correct, maybe it can be stickied somewhere.

Source for some of this info: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Baseline info:
• The HDMI chipset within the Epson has a bandwidth limitation of 10 Gbps
• There are limitations to the signal that the Epson can accept due to this chipset
• 4k Blu-rays are encoded as 4k24 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit Rec709 (non HDR) or 10-bit Rec2020 (HDR10) neither of which are supported by the HDMI 2.0 specification
• Some form of signal conversion must occur in order for any device using HDMI 2.0 to accept a 4K Blu-ray signal
• The signal transmitted by the device must fall within the Epson’s 10Gbs HDMI chipset limitation for it to be displayed on the projector

Samsung K8500 4K Blu-ray Player & Xbox One S
• Both convert Blu-rays to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709 which Epson can support
• HDR movies with Rec2020 color are reduced to Rec709, so HDR is stripped
• The resulting image for HDR movies generally appears too dark on the Epson
Phillips, Panasonic, Oppo (hopefully)
• Each convert the signal to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec 709 which the Epson supports
• HDR movies with Rec 2020 color are converted to 4k24 / 4:2:2 / 12-bit Rec2020 which the Epson supports
• The resulting image generally appears appropriate other than the Epson not having enough lumens to display HDR as intended
Fury & Oppo (hopefully)
• Both send an Epson compatible signal, but have the ability to strip HDR, while leaving the expanded Rec2020 color intact for those who feel the Epson is too dark for HDR
Roku Ultra (4K)
• Sends 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709 which is supported by Epson
• HDR movies with Rec2020 color are reduced to Rec709, so HDR is stripped (despite the screen showing 8-bit HDR BT2020, HDR BT2020 requires at least 10-bit color – is Rec2020 color really being preserved here? )
Amazon Fire Stick
• HDR signal is downgraded to 4k / Rec709
YouTube
• YouTube 4k videos are natively up to 4k60 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit
• If your player can send that native signal, the Epson can handle it
• Players that send the signal properly include: ????
Netflix
• Netflix’s 4k videos are natively ?????
• If your player can send that native signal, the Epson can handle it
• Players that send the signal properly include: ????
Gaming (PCs, 4k games on PS4 Pro & Xbox Scorpio)
• The Epson’s HDMI chipset (10 GBPS limitation) will only accept 4k60 at 4:2:0 / 8-bit color
• It is unknown whether these gaming devices will send 4k signals in this format. If for example they send the signal as 4k60 / 4:4:4 / 10-bit, the signal will fail or be downgraded to 4k60 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit color
• Either way, 4:4:4 will get downgraded to 4:2:0 and/or color will be downgraded to 8-bit (non-HDR) assuming the source was HDR to begin with
Future video devices:
• High Frame Rate (HFR) 4k Blu-ray will display with nothing higher than 8-bit color on the Epson
• If a future format support 4:4:4, color can be no higher than 8-bit for it to work on the Epson
• Dolby Vision’s goal is to be 12-bit color. This should work with the Epson, assuming the player can send the signal as 4:2:2​

See less See more
#10,781 ·
I do think I've read from others here that the new AppleTV has banding when using its HDR upconverting mode from SDR.

Curious what you mean by HDR up-converting mode from SDR? I didn't think I was upconverting. Just Setting ATV4K to 4K HDR 24hz and playing a 4k HDR movie from iTunes and it is banding mania. My Epson settings say 12bit, BT2020, HDR etc which is right I think.

If anyone else who has an ATV4K can test this that would be amazing. Opening of Kingsman is a great example. Right when the title appears and says "Kingsman" as there is a fly-over of snowy mountains, TONS of banding in the sky. Revenant and new Spiderman also have good test cases.

#10,783 ·
I am using the UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. I am also using Harpervision settings, it just seems that the 4k disk is blurry at times and not as sharp as the blu-ray disk. I will try again tonight, do you all keep the sharpness level default?
On the K8500 you will need to following settings to get a proper HDR signal sent to the Epson:

Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Auto
HDMI Deep Color: Auto (this is the one that activates the 12bit the Epson requires)

#10,784 · (Edited)
I believe when you set the new 4K ATV to output HDR it sends native HDR unaltered and it upconverts any SDR you're playing to pseudo HDR.
This is what I've read on the UK forums as well. It ends up with wrong colours.

I'm dissapointed that they choose to disgard colour fidelity by upconverting SDR this way. To my understanding, there is no option to automatically switch between SDR and HDR modes depending on the content. You have to do it manually.

Maybe this will change in a firmware update of the apple tv. i won't hold my breath.

#10,785 ·
I do think I've read from others here that the new AppleTV has banding when using its HDR upconverting mode from SDR.

I recall being able to get 4K60p HDR with a Linker by forcing the 8 bit output setting that's under the scaling tab I think. I remember this because I was surprised it was actually able to maintain HDR when being converted to 8 bit from 10 bit.

Maybe give that a shot. I'm curious if my memory is correct. It may induce banding though, if the Linker's dithering isn't great.

And why is that? 1080i has the same spatial resolution as 1080p. It's the same number of total pixels and if the deinterlacing is up to today's standards then it's indistinguishable from 1080p. By setting and downconverting to 720p you're losing tons of resolution.

I reported a while ago on the tivo forum that it was determined that Comcast started down converting all their 1080i channels to 720p to save bandwidth to add extra channels. Many, many customers came on reporting the very bad image quality from Comcast. It's one of the longest threads on there!

I would never sacrifice true resolution, especially on a large projection system, just to save myself a few seconds of sync time!
From what I have experienced with cable TV when I only had the option for 1080i or 720p, 720p looked better and performed better. Fast motion sports were much better then with 1080i. With 720p you are getting 720 horizontal lines of resolution where 1080i you are getting 540 lines of resolution.

With that being said, I am not familiar with the Direct TV box. But is 720p or 1080i the only video options? Is there a 1080p option? With my Xfinity X1 I can select 1080p (I know broadcasts are not 1080p) but this will prevent the projector switching going black briefly. I am assuming, the OP with the issue, is having an issue with changing channels and some channels are 720p and some are 1080i and he is using some sort of auto video setting? So if you say 720p is not the way yo go. Why not manually select 1080i or 1080p to prevent the issue he is complaining about.

#10,786 ·
Re: Banding

I've been watching Ozark on Netflix (4K SDR) and watched the opening heist of The Dark Knight from my iTunes library (HD SDR) on my 6040 from an ATV 4K set to 4K HDR 24, and have seen no banding at all.

I'm using the Oledurt Bright Cinema settings with the contrast and brightness bumped to 51, and the lamp on eco.

#10,787 ·
From what I have experienced with cable TV when I only had the option for 1080i or 720p, 720p looked better and performed better. Fast motion sports were much better then with 1080i. With 720p you are getting 720 horizontal lines of resolution where 1080i you are getting 540 lines of resolution.

With that being said, I am not familiar with the Direct TV box. But is 720p or 1080i the only video options? Is there a 1080p option? With my Xfinity X1 I can select 1080p (I know broadcasts are not 1080p) but this will prevent the projector switching going black briefly. I am assuming, the OP with the issue, is having an issue with changing channels and some channels are 720p and some are 1080i and he is using some sort of auto video setting? So if you say 720p is not the way yo go. Why not manually select 1080i or 1080p to prevent the issue he is complaining about.
Well I think you answered your own question. Your cable provider sounds like it's Comcast/Xfinity, and if that is the case, then it is as I said and you aren't getting 1080i signals natively (except maybe a couple channels like your local networks). When you set your X1 box to 720p, you're outputting at the format that the channels are being broadcast in, 720p, because Comcast is down-converting them all before they send them to you. When you choose 1080i, then any channel that is native 1080i will be down-converted at Comcast to 720p, then sent to you, where your cable box then upconverts it back to pseudo 1080i (if that's what you set your box to output), losing tons of the native resolution. Here is the thread on TCF: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...onverts-native-1080i-channels-to-720p.542203/

1080i is NOT 540 lines of resolution. It is 1080 discrete lines, they are just being interlaced. Here is a good article: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/

DirecTV boxes can output 480p (older ones), 720p, 1080i, 1080p & 4K 2160p (C61K 4K Genie Mini)

#10,788 ·

I'm dissapointed that they choose to disgard colour fidelity by upconverting SDR this way. To my understanding, there is no option to automatically switch between SDR and HDR modes depending on the content. You have to do it manually.

Maybe this will change in a firmware update of the apple tv. i won't hold my breath.
Appreciate the replies here for sure, but I don't think this is related to the problem i am seeing. I'm talking about banding appearing when watching an HDR source, not an SDR source with the ATV4K set to HDR.

The banding actually disappears when I switch the ATV4K to SDR.

#10,789 ·

Re: Banding

I've been watching Ozark on Netflix (4K SDR) and watched the opening heist of The Dark Knight from my iTunes library (HD SDR) on my 6040 from an ATV 4K set to 4K HDR 24, and have seen no banding at all.

I'm using the Oledurt Bright Cinema settings with the contrast and brightness bumped to 51, and the lamp on eco.
I have similar results. No banding when watching SDR content with the ATV4K set to SDR. Have you tried setting the ATV4K to 4k HDR 24hz and watched a 4k HDR movie? Check the Sunset/Big Sky scenes. That is when it is most noticeable to me.

#10,790 ·
I have similar results. No banding when watching SDR content with the ATV4K set to SDR. Have you tried setting the ATV4K to 4k HDR 24hz and watched a 4k HDR movie? Check the Sunset/Big Sky scenes. That is when it is most noticeable to me.
I have the ATV 4k set to 4KHDR 24HZ. I just watched the new Spiderman Homecoming movie with the kid's and did not have any banding.

#10,791 ·
I have the ATV 4k set to 4KHDR 24HZ. I just watched the new Spiderman Homecoming movie with the kid's and did not have any banding.
Hey thanks very much for the reply! Assume you are watching a digital iTunes copy? If it is not too much hassle, can you please check the scene just after the 18min mark? There is a sunset and this is what I get. Sorry it is upside down, but you get the idea.

Also these the setting you are seeing in the Epson?

Thanks again!

Attachments

#10,792 ·
Well I think you answered your own question. Your cable provider sounds like it's Comcast/Xfinity, and if that is the case, then it is as I said and you aren't getting 1080i signals natively (except maybe a couple channels like your local networks). When you set your X1 box to 720p, you're outputting at the format that the channels are being broadcast in, 720p, because Comcast is down-converting them all before they send them to you. When you choose 1080i, then any channel that is native 1080i will be down-converted at Comcast to 720p, then sent to you, where your cable box then upconverts it back to pseudo 1080i (if that's what you set your box to output), losing tons of the native resolution. Here is the thread on TCF: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...onverts-native-1080i-channels-to-720p.542203/

1080i is NOT 540 lines of resolution. It is 1080 discrete lines, they are just being interlaced. Here is a good article: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/

DirecTV boxes can output 480p (older ones), 720p, 1080i, 1080p & 4K 2160p (C61K 4K Genie Mini)
Yes, that is my problem. However I tried both the 1080i and 720p options only and it still momentarily blacked out. I'm sure there is a user error somewhere just haven't figured it out yet. The only time I could get it so no drop out was when I had my directv box running through my xbox one. I assume it was because the Xbox one was taking the signal and making it uniform that it did not drop because it wasn't changing resolutions.

When I upgraded to 4k directv I couldn't do this because my Day One edition Xbox One doesn't support 4k.

I really hope the passthrough hdmi on the One X supports 4k signal so I can once again hook directv through the Xbox, but so far, experts are not holding their breathe for this feature.

#10,793 ·
Hey thanks very much for the reply! Assume you are watching a digital iTunes copy? If it is not too much hassle, can you please check the scene just after the 18min mark? There is a sunset and this is what I get. Sorry it is upside down, but you get the idea.

Also these the setting you are seeing in the Epson?

Thanks again!
Definitely not getting the banding that you are. Here are my settings. I am using a Stewart studiotek 130 screen which is 144x60 or 155" diagonal.

Attachments

#10,794 ·
Yes, that is my problem. However I tried both the 1080i and 720p options only and it still momentarily blacked out. I'm sure there is a user error somewhere just haven't figured it out yet. The only time I could get it so no drop out was when I had my directv box running through my xbox one. I assume it was because the Xbox one was taking the signal and making it uniform that it did not drop because it wasn't changing resolutions.

When I upgraded to 4k directv I couldn't do this because my Day One edition Xbox One doesn't support 4k.

I really hope the passthrough hdmi on the One X supports 4k signal so I can once again hook directv through the Xbox, but so far, experts are not holding their breathe for this feature.
When does this drop out happen? When switching channels, just viewing or when switching sources?

#10,795 ·
When does this drop out happen? When switching channels, just viewing or when switching sources?
Happens switching sources of course but happens every time the channel changes resolution. It's running through a marantz 6011 receiver. Idk if that has something to do with it. When I change it to only one resolution, it dropped out too.

#10,796 ·
Happens switching sources of course but happens every time the channel changes resolution. It's running through a marantz 6011 receiver. Idk if that has something to do with it. When I change it to only one resolution, it dropped out too.

I’m having the same issue with my Directv. I I’ll try setting it to 720p only and see if that helps. I get the blank screen and input not supported for a few seconds. It’s irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,797 ·

When I turn on my Xfinity/Comcast box and switch to that source. Initially I will get a signal dropout and sometimes it will drop out every few seconds repeatedly. If I switch sources on the receiver then back to the cable box, it starts working fine. I do not get drop outs when changing channels though. Just on the initial turn on.

#10,799 ·
When I turn on my Xfinity/Comcast box and switch to that source. Initially I will get a signal dropout and sometimes it will drop out every few seconds repeatedly. If I switch sources on the receiver then back to the cable box, it starts working fine. I do not get drop outs when changing channels though. Just on the initial turn on.
I expect it to drop signal when I switch sources which is does, but between channels I don't think it should drop after I change the channels to be all the same resolution. I've just gotten used to it, but it would be nice to not have that drop.

Might be a setting on the Marantz too I don't know.

Anyone else with this problem have a solution?

#10,800 ·
Just following up on my 6040 suddenly turning itself off...

After turning off CEC on all devices, I have watched several hours of Netflix on the ATV4K and Oppo UHD player without incident.

Reactions: Uppsalaing