Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 544 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26963Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16291 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TravisBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 301
So when is the successor to the 5040ub due out?
TravisBean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16292 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
It's probably this to be honest. Had I known he wouldn't do an HDR calibration I would have cancelled.









Curious, but why do you prefer feeding the player a HDR2020 signal? Do you have a Panasonic UB820 as well? Because the general consensus with this player is that you get a better picture on a projector when using SDR2020. Curious to see what you've come up with, although my environment is different to yours (dedicated room with black walls and ceiling).


I do have the 820 but personally think the tone mapping you can achieve through a custom gamma is better then what the 820 can do so I prefer an HDR2020 calibration and utilize the optimizer to enhance the image further. Also doing an SDR2020 calibration to a 2.4 gamma is NOT easy on the 5040. Trying to maintain certain colors (especially red) while hitting a target gamma of 2.4 is virtually impossible because of how the cms and gamma controls are so tightly linked on this projector. In contrast you are able to get around this issue with an HDR2020 calibration because the gamma settings are a moving target when approximating an HDR to SDR conversion on a projector. In essence taking this approach allows you to maximize color accuracy and fudge the gamma settings slightly to compensate. Finally my screen and room are different but luckily the Cinegrey 3D is pretty neutral and ime you’ll just have to adjust the red offset down a click or two and the and the blue offset up a click or two to compensate. Other then that all should be close enough to not matter much.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16293 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
djb61230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Whitesboro, NY
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi - I'm not seeing this gamma UI with the "Color Tone N" on my 5040ub. Is this something in a firmware update that I missed? Or am I just not finding where this setting is in the menu system? Usually gamma is just in Image/Advanced.../Gamma. Or is this a 6040ub feature?

Thanks.

Edit - Ok, looks like I missed a firmware update - have *111_111.bin while *112_111.bin is the latest.

Last edited by djb61230; 12-25-2018 at 08:44 AM.
djb61230 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16294 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post
Hi - I'm not seeing this gamma UI with the "Color Tone N" on my 5040ub. Is this something in a firmware update that I missed? Or am I just not finding where this setting is in the menu system? Usually gamma is just in Image/Advanced.../Gamma. Or is this a 6040ub feature?



Thanks.



Edit - Ok, looks like I missed a firmware update - have *111_111.bin while *112_111.bin is the latest.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16295 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Yeah he's ISF certified. He's correct about the Epson not doing a good job of HDR. The brightness output is just too low to properly display HDR (we measured it). Ever seen a top quality TV outputting HDR? Does a far better job than this projector.

I'm like you, the majority of the content I watch is in 4K, so I'm not even using his settings now which is sad. I usually do either Harpervision or I convert to SDR2020. What settings are you using?
Do have the latest firmware update cause it helped improve the brightness in the Auto Bright setting...before it was too dark to use the HDR but now I enjoy it very much.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #16296 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Member
 
Hal_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielvm View Post
I'm using my "harpervision" settings for HDR for some while now with great satisfaction.
This setting forces the projector in sdr and compensates by cranking contrast to 100, among a greatly adjusted cms and gamma.

I came along some movies that still looked too dark with these settings. I don't know why these movies are too dark, I would have to check the metadata to see if I can find some connection. So yesterday I did a calibration with the same settings, but the gamma stayed at "only" -2.

It's more difficult to get all the saturation points of the colors at the right spot this way, but the result is an extremely vibrant picture that really pops, without it looking oversaturated.

I'm really happy with this approach to calibrate HDR, to my belief it is the only way to really get out the potential of HDR out of this projector. This projector has so much potential for HDR, it even achieves a color gammut a bit larger then P3 (except for red), but it can be a P.I.T.A to find the right settings.
I use Oledurt's digital setting for Blu-ray HDR and I love it. My favorite settings to date. But the Netflix HDR situation is something else altogether. Those settings don't work at all on that. I'll try Harpervsion as I also have that dialed into the memory. So far best to turn off HDR on Netflix if possible. Still trying to figure out why this is happening. Does the same thing happen with Apple TV and other devices? I may need to change to something that can take the 60hz signal. The Roku cannot.
dimi123 likes this.
Hal_M is offline  
post #16297 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
djb61230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Whitesboro, NY
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks Orcus for those screen shots. Obviously I wasn't going into customize mode for gamma. I had previously only used one of the presets that got me closest because I had terrible luck doing a custom setting, so I didn't recognize the UI since it had been a while. Again thanks for taking the time.

When I've tried to calibrate HDR in the past I found that using the CMS was really wacky, luminance values way out of range (using Chromapure). However since I loaded the latest firmware today and recalibrated for both SDR/709 and HDR/2020 those issues have gone away. I have nice gamma curves now and the CMS just needed small tweaks to get correct. It was always fine for SDR/709.

Sweet.
OrcusVaruna likes this.
djb61230 is offline  
post #16298 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
I use this for my 45' run. Have had it for over a year now and no problems.




https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12735
Same cable here but 50'. NO problems!

Ed
inspector likes this.
old corps is offline  
post #16299 of 18206 Old 12-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_M View Post
I use Oledurt's digital setting for Blu-ray HDR and I love it. My favorite settings to date. But the Netflix HDR situation is something else altogether. Those settings don't work at all on that. I'll try Harpervsion as I also have that dialed into the memory. So far best to turn off HDR on Netflix if possible. Still trying to figure out why this is happening. Does the same thing happen with Apple TV and other devices? I may need to change to something that can take the 60hz signal. The Roku cannot.


No issues with HDR requiring different settings for me. I use an ATV4K for streaming Netflix and other services, a Pany 820 for UHDBR, and an Xbox One X with a linker for gaming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16300 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Member
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
I do have the 820 but personally think the tone mapping you can achieve through a custom gamma is better then what the 820 can do so I prefer an HDR2020 calibration and utilize the optimizer to enhance the image further. Also doing an SDR2020 calibration to a 2.4 gamma is NOT easy on the 5040. Trying to maintain certain colors (especially red) while hitting a target gamma of 2.4 is virtually impossible because of how the cms and gamma controls are so tightly linked on this projector. In contrast you are able to get around this issue with an HDR2020 calibration because the gamma settings are a moving target when approximating an HDR to SDR conversion on a projector. In essence taking this approach allows you to maximize color accuracy and fudge the gamma settings slightly to compensate. Finally my screen and room are different but luckily the Cinegrey 3D is pretty neutral and ime you’ll just have to adjust the red offset down a click or two and the and the blue offset up a click or two to compensate. Other then that all should be close enough to not matter much.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I'll give this a shot tonight! What signal do you use? Auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Do have the latest firmware update cause it helped improve the brightness in the Auto Bright setting...before it was too dark to use the HDR but now I enjoy it very much.
I think the firmware update simply altered the Auto and Auto Bright setting, so basically Auto Bright defaults to 'HDR2'. You're correct, it does get brighter, but I don't use Auto Bright, I use Auto, as it saves me having to change it when watching SDR content, and apparently Auto Bright blows out the whites.

Last edited by xpl0sive; 12-26-2018 at 01:01 AM.
xpl0sive is offline  
post #16301 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Thanks man, I'll give this a shot tonight! What signal do you use? Auto?







I think the firmware update simply altered the Auto and Auto Bright setting, so basically Auto Bright defaults to 'HDR2'. You're correct, it does get brighter, but I don't use Auto Bright, I use Auto, as it saves me having to change it when watching SDR content, and apparently Auto Bright blows out the whites.


I use auto bright for all my calibrations


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16302 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 AM
Senior Member
 
dimi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_M View Post
I use Oledurt's digital setting for Blu-ray HDR and I love it. My favorite settings to date. But the Netflix HDR situation is something else altogether. Those settings don't work at all on that.
Me too. I use Oledurt's custom gamma curve and calibrate from there. And yes, you need different settings for Netflix, as their HDR implementation sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
I think the firmware update simply altered the Auto and Auto Bright setting, so basically Auto Bright defaults to 'HDR2'. You're correct, it does get brighter, but I don't use Auto Bright, I use Auto, as it saves me having to change it when watching SDR content, and apparently Auto Bright blows out the whites.
Auto Bright defaults to HDR1 and Auto to HDR2. The Auto Bright setting has no effect on SDR content when Epson super white is on. It does blow out the whites on HDR content with expanded video range, but you can correct for that through gamma and contrast settings.

PJ: Epson EH-TW9300W | Screen: 135" 2.40 Stewart StudioTek 100 | Anamorphic lens: Prismasonic Cinomorph P-100M | AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | Amp: 3x Naim Nait 5si Stereo Amplifier| HTPC: Intel Core i7, GTX1080Ti | BR Player: Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-95 | Speakers: JBL Studio L Series, 7.2.4 | Mains Filter: BlackNoise 1000 V2, BlackNoise 2500, ISOL-8 VMC1080 | Cables: Chord Cadenza Reference, Chord Epic Twin, Audioquest NRG-4

Last edited by dimi123; 12-26-2018 at 07:25 AM.
dimi123 is offline  
post #16303 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lamp help ELPLP69

Anyone suggest a good place to get an original ELPLP69? I've searched the threads and most of the results are either old or not quite enough info.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
post #16304 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
dimi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post
Anyone suggest a good place to get an original ELPLP69? I've searched the threads and most of the results are either old or not quite enough info.
https://www.hcinema.de/lampen/shop.php?id=22302

They are based in Germany but deliver also to the US.

PJ: Epson EH-TW9300W | Screen: 135" 2.40 Stewart StudioTek 100 | Anamorphic lens: Prismasonic Cinomorph P-100M | AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | Amp: 3x Naim Nait 5si Stereo Amplifier| HTPC: Intel Core i7, GTX1080Ti | BR Player: Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-95 | Speakers: JBL Studio L Series, 7.2.4 | Mains Filter: BlackNoise 1000 V2, BlackNoise 2500, ISOL-8 VMC1080 | Cables: Chord Cadenza Reference, Chord Epic Twin, Audioquest NRG-4

Last edited by dimi123; 12-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
dimi123 is offline  
post #16305 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
Me too. I use Oledurt's custom gamma curve and calibrate from there. And yes, you need different settings for Netflix, as their HDR implementation sucks.







Auto Bright defaults to HDR1 and Auto to HDR2. The Auto Bright setting has no effect on SDR content when Epson super white is on. It does blow out the whites on HDR content with expanded video range, but you can correct for that through gamma and contrast settings.


Their base HDR streams are terrible but the static 12bit 24hz “Dolby Vision” streams they have started pushing to the ATV4K are wonderful and don’t require any adjustments.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dimi123 likes this.
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16306 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Same cable here but 50'. NO problems!

Ed
How Depressing,

On black friday in 2107 I bought:
Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD HighSpeed HDMI Cable (either 1M or 2M) on sale for $69. Normally around $119 or so. The package said 27.5 Gbps. Thinking I would be future proofed for a very long time.

Then I get a letter a few months ago I get an email to my personal email with my name (wow, how they got all that scares me, but oh well) from a Law Firm that I am part of a Class Action lawsuit about the Monster cables not being what it was advertised. Now you guys mention this cable where 25' cost $19.95? Great lol

I've always heard that Monster cable and all of their hyped specs is all snake oil. Well now there's proof in the pudding.


"If you purchased a Monster HDMI cable with an advertised bandwidth exceeding 10.2 GBPS between August 25, 2011 and March 6, 2018, a Class Action Settlement affects your legal rights"

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #16307 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
How Depressing,

On black friday in 2107 I bought:
Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD HighSpeed HDMI Cable (either 1M or 2M) on sale for $69. Normally around $119 or so. The package said 27.5 Gbps. Thinking I would be future proofed for a very long time.

Then I get a letter a few months ago I get an email to my personal email with my name (wow, how they got all that scares me, but oh well) from a Law Firm that I am part of a Class Action lawsuit about the Monster cables not being what it was advertised. Now you guys mention this cable where 25' cost $19.95? Great lol

I've always heard that Monster cable and all of their hyped specs is all snake oil. Well now there's proof in the pudding.


"If you purchased a Monster HDMI cable with an advertised bandwidth exceeding 10.2 GBPS between August 25, 2011 and March 6, 2018, a Class Action Settlement affects your legal rights"
Hope you get your $$$ back!

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #16308 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Does anyone have a link to the latest Harpervision settings as I cant seem to find them in the 500 odd pages of this thread.

If someone can give me a link or post number I would very much appreciate it.

Adam
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #16309 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Hi, I'm looking for a little advice please from any resident 5040 experts...

I currently have a epson 5030, Yamaha rx3050, darby dvp5000, and Samsung blu-ray player (non 4k model). I'm considering purchasing the 5040, and a new 4k bluray player, and I'm wondering if anyone sees any potential setup issues or headaches? I dont think the Darby will work in a 4k chain, so I'm fine to get rid of it. The Yamaha 3050 looks like it'll do 4k with HDR, so I think I'm good there. I also understand that I'll need to purchase a new 4k player, so I'll probably look at Sony/Samsung/Panasonic for that.

Generally, I like "set it and forget it" type of settings. On my current 5030, I use cinema mode, and so I'm guessing I'll probably do the same on the 5040. My concern is HDR (I've browsed this thread and it looks like this has caused headaches for many). Is there an HRD setting that I could just leave set to "auto" and consistently be able to get a nice hdr/4k/or upsampled 1080p image, without the image being to dim?

I have full light control, dont play video games, sources are bluray / cable / streaming via roku, and I'd also like to still be able to do 3d if possible, since we have 4 sets of glasses and still enjoy the experience.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get. (I can see from this thread that some of you guys have expert level knowledge when it comes to this projector). Lastly, I'm not really in a rush, and if waiting for the new 5050 is a better move, please let me know.

Last edited by kevings; 12-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.
kevings is offline  
post #16310 of 18206 Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
avtoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Toronto. Canada
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Does anyone have a link to the latest Harpervision settings as I cant seem to find them in the 500 odd pages of this thread.

If someone can give me a link or post number I would very much appreciate it.

Adam
Dave has the settings linked to his signature. Just look for any of his posts.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
avtoronto is online now  
post #16311 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 03:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Does anyone have a link to the latest Harpervision settings as I cant seem to find them in the 500 odd pages of this thread.



If someone can give me a link or post number I would very much appreciate it.



Adam






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Harper likes this.
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16312 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post

Many thanks for that Orcus.

I presume everyone has super white turned on for SDR content?

I am going to give yours a go tonight.
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #16313 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On your photo's the projector is set to digital cinema and in the pdf natural?
jbarteli is offline  
post #16314 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
On your photo's the projector is set to digital cinema and in the pdf natural?


Two different settings I have been working on a digital cinema calibration that I posted in the photos a few days ago. My original calibration was done using natural.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrcusVaruna is offline  
post #16315 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
jbarteli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
Two different settings I have been working on a digital cinema calibration that I posted in the photos a few days ago. My original calibration was done using natural.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, I tried your new settings yesterday. I liked it alot! Thanx!
jbarteli is offline  
post #16316 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
https://www.hcinema.de/lampen/shop.php?id=22302

They are based in Germany but deliver also to the US.
I'd refer something domestic

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
post #16317 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I see some of these settings have nit ratings. I presume this is because different content is mastered at different levels, but how are you guys finding out what the content your watching is mastered at?

I see from searching that a few lists have been created but they are far from up to date so new releases are not covered.

I presume it is important to use settings that are relevant to the content you are watching?
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #16318 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Member
 
Hal_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Looking back through this thread, there appear to be some owners who have been somewhat successful getting HDR to work with Netflix on the Roku Premiere + and/or Ultra:





















I'd be curious to hear back from Kelvin1000 on the confirmation of 4K HDR at 24Hz. Was this with Amazon or Netflix or both? And where was the 24Hz shown? On the Roku or on the projector info screen? My Roku shows only 60Hz or 30Hz.
Been reading and my head's already spinning. I have an Epson 5040ub. I used to get 4K UHD via Netflix on my Roku Ultra. Suddenly, it's now telling me that I'm now getting HDR, but in 1080P only. Can't seem to get 4K UHD anymore. When I use the Netflix app on my Sony X800 Blu-ray player, I get both HDR and 4K UHD. Trying to figure out why Netflix on Roku isn't working. I know the Epson doesn't accept the 60Hz signal. Didn't used to need that for Netflix UHD. Did they change? And why is my Sony sending the full signal? Is that taking the 60Hz signal and automatically turning into 24Hz?
Hal_M is offline  
post #16319 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roland6465's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,582
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_M View Post
Been reading and my head's already spinning. I have an Epson 5040ub. I used to get 4K UHD via Netflix on my Roku Ultra. Suddenly, it's now telling me that I'm now getting HDR, but in 1080P only. Can't seem to get 4K UHD anymore. When I use the Netflix app on my Sony X800 Blu-ray player, I get both HDR and 4K UHD. Trying to figure out why Netflix on Roku isn't working. I know the Epson doesn't accept the 60Hz signal. Didn't used to need that for Netflix UHD. Did they change? And why is my Sony sending the full signal? Is that taking the 60Hz signal and automatically turning into 24Hz?

I have a weird issue between my Roku Streaming Stick+ and Sony VPL-VW285 where the Roku will revert to auto-detect resolution almost every time I wake it up, and it picks 4K/60Hz, which causes banding with HDR on my projector. Check your picture settings on the Roku to make sure it's set to 4K 30Hz, and it should free up the bandwidth to get the HDR through.
roland6465 is offline  
post #16320 of 18206 Old 12-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
I see some of these settings have nit ratings. I presume this is because different content is mastered at different levels, but how are you guys finding out what the content your watching is mastered at?



I see from searching that a few lists have been created but they are far from up to date so new releases are not covered.



I presume it is important to use settings that are relevant to the content you are watching?


Most UHD Blu-ray reviews on this site will list the disc peak and mastered nits information and some disc players will show you this information as well. Settings wise they really only come into play on the few uhd discs such as the early Harry Potter movies that are mastered at 4000nits and actually have a few scenes that push the max value. This is one of the reasons many of us use the Panasonic UB820 player because it’s HDR optimizer will scale these discs to 1000nits eliminating the need to adjust the display settings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdamAttewell likes this.
OrcusVaruna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off