Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 552 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26871Likes

post #16531 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoulos View Post
I’m using a 135” silver ticket screen, white... light controlled room, though ceiling is white. I'm also at a 19 foot throw distance... Epson calculators say 16-27ft throw distance so I'm near the low end so 19 should be fine.

I’ve tried a half dozen different calibrations (thanks for help on that here), used a calibration disk etc, and I still end up with a picture that lacks contrast and is washed out.

It seems at this point it’s got to be the screen or the white ceiling?

Here are a couple pics of my setup, it's hard to simulate what the screen looks like with a photo but this is pretty close...

will a SI Slate or Elite Cinegrey 5D fix this problem? Any other ideas? thanks!

I like the furniture up front. Not sure if you were the one that I'd asked about similar furniture before, but are they Ikea units painted black or something else? Do they hold equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madermat View Post
Paint the ceiling or better yet some velvet 4 or 5 feet out makes a huge difference .I have a black ceiling 12 feet high so my screen is farther from the ceiling than yous ,however i have put up 6 feet of velvet and it makes it much better then just flat black paint.You have a great looking room and all depends on what you do in there,if its just for movies the paint color is really hurting the picture quality if its a lights on rec room kinda thin maybe you can do a little darker and that would help.Check out the thread the blacker the theater the better I think its called lots of go tips in there for light control

How do you attached the velvet to the ceiling to prevent it from drooping? Does it look neat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
I like the furniture up front. Not sure if you were the one that I'd asked about similar furniture before, but are they Ikea units painted black or something else? Do they hold equipment?

How do you attached the velvet to the ceiling to prevent it from drooping? Does it look neat?
Those are IKEA Besta cabinets... you can custom with doors or drawers, etc... I've just got doors with one shelf in each... not expensive and these are the black/brown color.
post #16533 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to search for it, but couldn't find a definitive answer...

UBe - the wireless transmitter - how well does it work for those using it? I understand it needs to be in FRONT of the projector to work. My questions are the following:
  1. What is the max distance to still get a solid signal?
  2. Can the transmitter be lower than where the projector is mounted? (for example, center channel level with the PJ being ceiling mounted)
  3. Is there any delay or lipsync issues and are they correctible in the PJ (or do you use the AVR to fix delay)?

Thanks in advance.
I just got mine about a month ago and love it. I would have had to use over 60ft of HDMI to get to it through the walls/ceiling.
It is line of sight. I have mine in the rack and it sits just below my screen (near the left edge). First tried it behind the screen, but it will not work.
It takes a few seconds to sync up when it first comes on or when a new movie is inserted to the player.
No lip sync or delay issues detected. I run my 4K Sony Player to the Receiver; Receiver to an HDMI splitter (goes to TV and Epson Transmitter).
Transmitter sits 30 above the floor. Projector is ceiling mounted on a 9.5ft ceiling (8.5ft off the floor), so it's about 6 ft lower than the projector.
I have the new monoprice ceiling mount retractable screen that is about 9in in front of the rack of gear and the transmitter sits just below the bottom of the screen (and 9in behind it).
I am very pleased. I have seen one or two "glitches" in the image, but it's hard to know if those are from the disk/data issues or transmitter--not enough/common enough to complain.
The combo of the monoprice screen (#30252) and projector is quite stunning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16534 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoulos View Post
I’m using a 135” silver ticket screen, white... light controlled room, though ceiling is white. I'm also at a 19 foot throw distance... Epson calculators say 16-27ft throw distance so I'm near the low end so 19 should be fine.

I’ve tried a half dozen different calibrations (thanks for help on that here), used a calibration disk etc, and I still end up with a picture that lacks contrast and is washed out.

It seems at this point it’s got to be the screen or the white ceiling?

Here are a couple pics of my setup, it's hard to simulate what the screen looks like with a photo but this is pretty close...

will a SI Slate or Elite Cinegrey 5D fix this problem? Any other ideas? thanks!
I had a similar room color etc when I first moved into my house that was also fully light controlled.. Painting the walls and ceiling with dark flat paint helped the contrast significantly in my case.

Here are some pictures from before and after..

Please note I started with a BenQ and have since upgraded to a 5040UB but the pictures should still make the point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180407_161829.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	972.5 KB
ID:	2509310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180407_161024.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	2509312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_115750.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	2509314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_235118.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	2509316  
dholmes54 and rpoulos like this.
post #16535 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If the image is really washed out, check if the HDMI range is set properly...
post #16536 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielvm View Post
If the image is really washed out, check if the HDMI range is set properly...
UPDATE: I contacted Epson and sent them a few photos... the rep actually suggested the projector might be defective and authorized a new unit be shipped to me. I didn't even ask for that, and I'm not sure it is defective at all, but he was pretty eager to send me a new one lol. So maybe this will help, dunno... will report back!

If not, I will get to work on try to blackout the area first before changing screens.
post #16537 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question: I just received a replacement 5040UB because the one I had developed a blue spot. They sent a refurbished replacement, new bulb. Image looks great, except I'm noticing sometimes on Fade ins and Fade outs, that the fade isn't smooth. It's kind of jittery or seems to change in fragments as opposed to a smooth, clean fade. Does anyone know if this is a setting I have that I can change, or if this is a flaw in the new projector? Never saw it before with the old one. But I'm also using new settings. Currently Orca's settings for both HDR and SDR. Thanks in advance!
post #16538 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_M View Post
Question: I just received a replacement 5040UB because the one I had developed a blue spot. They sent a refurbished replacement, new bulb. Image looks great, except I'm noticing sometimes on Fade ins and Fade outs, that the fade isn't smooth. It's kind of jittery or seems to change in fragments as opposed to a smooth, clean fade. Does anyone know if this is a setting I have that I can change, or if this is a flaw in the new projector? Never saw it before with the old one. But I'm also using new settings. Currently Orca's settings for both HDR and SDR. Thanks in advance!
Just a guess, but maybe change your auto iris setting? I prefer it on NORMAL.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
post #16539 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Just a guess, but maybe change your auto iris setting? I prefer it on NORMAL.
Thanks. I switched it from High Speed to Normal. Will watch some stuff and see how it works. I'll let you know. Fingers crossed.
post #16540 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Has anyone tried running MADVR with their Epson 5040 ?

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #16541 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Has anyone tried running MADVR with their Epson 5040 ?
Yep, use it everyday..

Have a GTX 1070 using Kodi DSPlayer / Plex --> Denon AVR-X3400H --> 5040UB

Would be willing to share my settings (1080 and 4K) with you if you want them.. Not sure if this is the right place though.
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #16542 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to search for it, but couldn't find a definitive answer...

UBe - the wireless transmitter - how well does it work for those using it? I understand it needs to be in FRONT of the projector to work. My questions are the following:
  1. What is the max distance to still get a solid signal?
  2. Can the transmitter be lower than where the projector is mounted? (for example, center channel level with the PJ being ceiling mounted)
  3. Is there any delay or lipsync issues and are they correctible in the PJ (or do you use the AVR to fix delay)?

Thanks in advance.
I find that the wireless transmitter works well, but it is a bit frustrating in my setup. The initial sync takes a few seconds (maybe around 15). That would be fine, but the problem is that every time you change sources or even change channels on a DirecTV box can result in the transmitter having to re-sync. During that delay, the screen goes blank except for a re-sync message. Once the sync is done, the signal is solid and the PQ is fine. I've tried to ensure that the output of all sources is forced to the same resolution, but I still get the re-sync problem.

Mine is about 18 ft away from the projector and it is at the same level as my center channel (well below the height of the projector).

Long term, I hope to get rid of the wireless setup and go back to hard wired.

The best thing about the UBe is that it is easy to setup and the PQ is very good.

Mark
post #16543 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 106
To all of you who are using an Oppo or Panny passing BT.2020 SDR: are you using the HDR modes on the Epson while displaying HDR? I'm really confused.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #16544 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac55 View Post
I don’t know if anyone is keeping score on the power supply issue or not, but I think I might be the newest member of the club. Last night, about 15 minutes into a movie, the screen went dark. Checked the projector and there were no signs of life (no indicator lights) and the lens shutter remained opened. After checking the circuit breakers, unplugging and replugging the projector and scratching my head thoroughly, we decided to watch the movie on the tv as all signs pointed to a catastrophic failure of the projector.

I haven’t really spent much time on AVS since the fall of 2017 when I purchased the 5040ube. So. until researching the possible causes (and hoping to discover a fix) of my pj’s demise on this forum today, I was unaware of this defect. I mainly watch college football on it and the occasional movie so it doesn’t have many hours on it at all and, accordingly, was perplexed by the failure. Although I’m not happy about the dead projector, I guess there is some comfort in knowing that I am not alone and that Epson is well aware of the problem.

So, I’ll call Epson tomorrow and get the process started of getting a replacement. Hopefully, I won’t have to repeat this process several times.

Cheers
I received the replacement from Epson on Tuesday (definitely a refurb) and placed on the same shelf my original sat. The shelf height places the lens approximately level with the top of my screen. I can’t recall having to make any significant adjustments in the image position when setting up my 1st 5040, but when I powered on the replacement tonight, the image was on the ceiling.

The first thing I checked were the adjustable feet - they were fully retracted. Then I checked the lens shift and keystone adjustments. Nothing I can see will bring the image down for enough to get close to the screen.

So, before I call Epson tomorrow, am I missing something really obvious? I feel like a dope, but this image is off by a mile and I can’t find or think of an adjustment that will fix it.
post #16545 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

you can put it on 1/4 plywood panels maybe 2 feet bye 2 feet ? i did 2x6 foot frames made of 1x2 lumber i have a ceiling that is wood so i can screw in anywhere some people just staple it up ,when lighs are out you cant see if there is a drop or wrinkle.if i can figure it out ill take a pic of mt ceiling and post it in a day or so
Viche likes this.
post #16546 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I received the replacement from Epson on Tuesday (definitely a refurb) and placed on the same shelf my original sat. The shelf height places the lens approximately level with the top of my screen. I can’t recall having to make any significant adjustments in the image position when setting up my 1st 5040, but when I powered on the replacement tonight, the image was on the ceiling.

The first thing I checked were the adjustable feet - they were fully retracted. Then I checked the lens shift and keystone adjustments. Nothing I can see will bring the image down for enough to get close to the screen.

So, before I call Epson tomorrow, am I missing something really obvious? I feel like a dope, but this image is off by a mile and I can’t find or think of an adjustment that will fix it.

there is probaly a choice for ceiling mount or shelf it will invert the image im sure its there some where i dont have a 5040, i think all projectors have that feature
post #16547 of 17593 Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Got my 5040 today. It’s better than my 4000 for sure, especially in dark scenes but I thought the blacks would be even darker. I’m happy with it but for those who don’t want to extra for the 5040, just know the 4000 is very close to it!
David Sal likes this.
post #16548 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 122
If you want to see what white walls do to the contrast of the projected image just take a look at this video.

https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

Also there review has some great info on how a light controlled room improves PQ.

http://projectiondream.com/en/epson-...s10000-battle/
post #16549 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by knmlee View Post
I find that the wireless transmitter works well, but it is a bit frustrating in my setup. The initial sync takes a few seconds (maybe around 15). That would be fine, but the problem is that every time you change sources or even change channels on a DirecTV box can result in the transmitter having to re-sync.

That's identical to my experience. The wireless sender works very well but the constant re-connecting can be irritating and isn't the quickest. Mine is about 10ft in front of the projector. Never had the connection drop during viewing.
OrcusVaruna likes this.
post #16550 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
there is probaly a choice for ceiling mount or shelf it will invert the image im sure its there some where i dont have a 5040, i think all projectors have that feature
Even though I did not recall setting the original 5040 on anything other than front projection, in trying to troubleshoot this, I did cycle thru all of the various projection options without correcting the problem.
post #16551 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Even though I did not recall setting the original 5040 on anything other than front projection, in trying to troubleshoot this, I did cycle thru all of the various projection options without correcting the problem.
post #16552 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power supply

Hey everyone. Been reading this thread forever! Awesome and helpful tips, I thank you. I've had my new 5040 for about a year to date, and I have a tick under 1,000 hours on the first lamp. I notice sporadically now when I power on the PJ that the fan kicks on (higher and louder than normal, like im in high settings), and the lamp itself doesn't turn on at least for 45sec - 1min (this is when the Epson logo finally shows). Am I victim to the dreaded power supply issue? It happens sporadically, like I said. Sometimes it just powers up like normal, but ever so often (and more often than I'd like), this happens. Appreciate the insight!
post #16553 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy1dur View Post
Hey everyone. Been reading this thread forever! Awesome and helpful tips, I thank you. I've had my new 5040 for about a year to date, and I have a tick under 1,000 hours on the first lamp. I notice sporadically now when I power on the PJ that the fan kicks on (higher and louder than normal, like im in high settings), and the lamp itself doesn't turn on at least for 45sec - 1min (this is when the Epson logo finally shows). Am I victim to the dreaded power supply issue? It happens sporadically, like I said. Sometimes it just powers up like normal, but ever so often (and more often than I'd like), this happens. Appreciate the insight!
Your question has been repeatedly asked over the course of the last couple of years....

Based on my discussions with Epson support personnel, this behavior is normal...but he could not provide a plausible explanation for this unusual behavior. Owners of previous models have reported this same behavior on their units. My 5040 is two years old and has randomly exhibited this behavior since day one. It’s probably safe to say that it likely has no relationship to the power supply failures.
old corps and monkaquinas like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 01-12-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typo
post #16554 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7737 Post(s)
Liked: 7013
Quote:

I take it that you have adjusted the vertical lens shift?
post #16555 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Your question has been repeatedly asked over the course of the last couple of years....

Based on my discussions with Epson support personnel, this behavior is normal...but he could not provide a plausible explanation for this unusual behavior. Owners of previous models have reported this same behavior on their units. My 5040 is two years old and has randomly exhibited this behavior since day one. It’s probably safe to say that it likely has no relationship to the power supply failures.
Thanks Gene. Like I said I've been on almost every page of this discussion thread and didn't see it (it's been a few weeks since I've read the most recents, but you know), so I apologize if this is a redundant issue post. Maybe part of me is hoping I have enough of an issue to start using the warranty and eventually have them send a future 5050 unit when all 5040's disappear from inventory?
gene4ht likes this.
post #16556 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I take it that you have adjusted the vertical lens shift?
Thank you. Yes, my order of troubleshooting this was to check the adjustable feet on the front (fully retracted), then vertical lens shift, then keystone, and finally cycled thru the different
prohe ction modes. As far off as the image is, I would have been surprised if any of those would have worked. Apologize for the orientation of the photo (that also emailed to Epson Support).

After repeating all of those procedures for Tier 1 support, they suggested (a) tip the projector toward the floor or (b) mount it on the ceiling. I rejected both options. So, I get to talk to Tier 2 support on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD903BD4-1CAA-413F-BB28-F405EA982F0C.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2509990  
post #16557 of 17593 Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Frank View Post
Hi all,

I just got an HDFury Linker, and I am setting up my Xbox One X and it seems to work for everything but Dobly Vision (assuming it doesn't support that) but if I change it to any color depth above 8-bit it just gives me a blank screen. Is there a way to adjust the HZ so that it will play it at a lower refresh rate but with more color depth or is that not as important as refresh?
I also noticed that if I play a 4k Blu Ray, the xbox and my OPPO player just show a blank screen but if I disconnect the Linker from the chain, it works fine. , anyone have an idea what is going on?
post #16558 of 17593 Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Keep the darbee for now and see for yourself. I currently still use my Oppo 103d with darbee for bluray’s. With it set at 35% and Epson enhancement I like the picture.

This picture is 1080p bluray with 4k eshift off, enhancement on 3, and 35% darbee. The screen is 115” diy spandex.

Wow, That is so clear Cruise actually looks old here.
bluer101 likes this.

Gary Pranzo
My Home Theater
post #16559 of 17593 Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I watched Mission Impossible Fallout last night & found that it was to dark in some scenes so after I tried checking brightness with the black clipping pattern included with R.Masciola’s HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns and with a brightness of 51 I cant see level 68 barely flashing.

Thing is even with the brightness control at 100 I cant see it flashing either.

@nielvm I am using your settings with a tweaked two point grayscale, do you use the same patterns for checking brightness? Can you see level 68 flashing?
post #16560 of 17593 Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yes I also used R. Masciola’s patterns. Will check if I see 64 flashing. In my opinion, it’s not that test that will determin if the image looks dark or not, but rather the usage of a custom gamma or forced sdr.

Mission impossible looked too bright with me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page