Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26885Likes

post #1681 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Gotcha, true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post
Keep pressing the power button?????

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Hey said "keep pressing the power button" meaning to "HOLD DOWN" the power button. Not to press it numerous times.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #1683 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post
So you think Epson is faking it ! I thought HDR is like Dolby Atmos that one cannot implement it, but can only get it if the files are encoded with it. Right ???
No, I did not say the Epson 5040UB is faking HDR. I was answering specifically with respect to the Xbox One S app and the Epson 5040UB. I am able to get the Xbox One S to work with 4Kp60 8-bit RGB. I cannot get it to work with 4Kp60 10-bit because the Epson isn't able to receive that high a data rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcollegekid View Post
I think in order to get HDR via streaming, the streaming content will need to be sent from the player at 24p. Netflix needs to better partner with streaming devices to implement this option. Hopefully the new google device will allow for Netflix content at 24p rather than 60p.
Yes. Also, for whatever reason the Xbox One S wouldn't trigger 4Kp24 Bt.2020 HDR when I stuck a 4K Blu-ray disc into it. With the Epson 5040UB. Even though it should work. That's why I had to get the Philip BDP7501 to play 4K discs.
shepdog likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGraney View Post
Hmmm, I didn't seem to get HDR out of Man In The High Castle... I only checked the first episode, however. Running the new Roku Premiere + through a Pioneer SC-97. I'll have to play with my settings, methinks.

Argh. Not getting HDR... please don't be my HDMI cable

Never mind, I figured it out... and yeah, it's super dim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by DanGraney; 10-11-2016 at 10:05 AM.
post #1685 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post
Hello. I have a JVC DILA-RS4910 with a new bulb (300 hours). I have asked some opinions on this, but would like a few more. I have a light controlled dedicated theater room with dark burgundy walls and ceiling and a dark carpet. Me and the projector sit approximately 16 feet away from a 120 inch 1.2 gain screen. I mostly watch football, tv and movies (pretty even % across the board during football season). Would it be a mistake to buy the new epson 5040 to replace my JVC? I use a Darbee Dartlet but, it only works with Directv... too many HDMI handshaking issues with FireTV and Blu-ray player. I think I would be happy with epson's supposed sharper picture, but would the contrast bother me too much? I would never use the dynamic IRIS on either machine, too noisy and too annoying! I always use ECO mode for the quietest operation, as the projector sits right over my head. One last thing about epson... I had the 5030 and kept it for 2 months, but ultimately got rid of it because it had a uniform white issue... there was a pink hue on the bottom 3rd of the screen. Hopefully this new lens fixes those issues. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!
I pulled the trigger on the 5040!! So far, I love it. Before I swapped out the 5040 for my JVC 4910 (with new bulb), I watched several minutes of Orphan Black in 1080p, I tried the UHD version, but my fire TV said my display was not HDCP 2.2 compliant. Anyway, after mounting the 5040 and performing a quick calibration, I quickly went to the same scenes in Orphan Black in UHD and it definitely looked much sharper. I'm very impressed with the new Epson lens/lcd system... edge to edge clarity is much better than the 5030 I had and much better than the JVC I'm currently replacing and that becomes even more obvious with 4K content. Keep in mind I sit about 14 feet from a 120 inch screen... so the extra detail and clarity is not lost on me. Color uniformity (pure white screen) is much improved over the 5030 and Panasonic's ( using the same Epson display tech ) I previously owned. It is not quite as good as the JVC, but can be adjusted to be pretty darn close. The black levels are not as good as the JVC, but apparently the sharper image is more important to me. I keep the auto IRIS off with it set to half open (10 out of 20) with the lamp in ECO mode and that makes the black levels look more than acceptable after looking at several scenes from the Star Wars 3 Blu-ray.

Now to the questions :-) I'm sure this has been discussed, I just can't find the answers... but for streaming I use the latest Amazon Fire TV (box not stick). It renders a 4k pixel count, but a color space of REC .709 regardless of whether I'm using the Netflix or Amazon Prime app. Is there a streamer out there that will get me the REC.2020? Does Netflix even offer .2020?

Last edited by tklein2; 10-11-2016 at 10:10 AM.
post #1686 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Want to chime in with my impressions after about 15 hours so far. Got the 5040 mounted by Friday and was able to watch a couple 1080p blu-rays, some Comcast television and some atmos demos & games via my PC (in another room but connected through 50ft HDMI cable snaked through attic).

My screen is a 150” 16:9 with Seymour XD acoustically transparent material. The room is not a pure bat cave, but it’s very dark… completely sealed with no windows, very dark grey (Behr “Cracked Pepper”) paint on most of walls and ceiling with some dark brown above the chair rail (except first 5’ of side walls are 100% dark grey), and dark grey carpet. My eyes are ~13ft from the screen in the first row of my theater, which is the main seating area. As this is my first projector, and coming from a Samsung plasma, I was really concerned with going so big on the screen because of needed lumens, screen door effect, and overall picture quality. I chose the 5040 over the Sony 45es because of the pixel shifting, not because I wanted to watch UHD so much, but to increase the sharpness sitting that close to a large screen. Impressions:

• Image sharpness and clarity is outstanding with 1080p blu-rays! Watched the Fifth Element and Iron Man over the weekend and was jaw-dropping impressed. Well exceeded my expectations. I was swayed for a while by the JVC mob but gaming is too important to me so decided I had to go with the 5040… so glad I did. Blacks are extremely black to my eyes!
  • After playing with 4k enhancement levels I have mostly settled on setting #3.
  • Natural color setting at medium lamp looks best to my eyes. Don’t feel the need to calibrate at this point, everything just looks right. Was really worried that I would need to run on high with a 150” screen, but I’m relieved that medium is perfect. Projector is mounted so lens is almost 100% open.
  • Comcast HD cable is obviously softer looking than blu-rays, but still watchable. I may use lens memory to decrease the image size for TV watching. I don’t think I’ll watch movies recorded from cable anymore, just too soft sitting so close to a 150” screen. Time to grow my blu-ray collection.
  • I’m noticing a big difference in source quality. I watched an episode from the BBC Life nature documentary (Blu-Ray) and the use of different cameras was very apparent at times. I think that’s the sign of a good piece of gear… the ability to discern between the quality of source content.
  • No perceptible noise from 4k enhancement and no issues with fast motion beyond the normal 24hz issues. Motion was great to my eyes when watching NFL football.
  • I do hear the iris working when sound is off or extremely low, but can’t hear it working when the sound is at normal volumes.
  • With 4k Image Enhancement off, the various FI setting don’t seem to make any difference to my eyes, not sure if it’s broken or my eyes just can’t tell. I personally hate the soap opera effect so never plan to use FI, but I do find it weird that I can’t see it working even on high. EDIT - I was testing this on 60hz content... after testing on 24hz content I can confirm the FI works just fine. Much prefer the 4k enhancement though, and can't have both at the same time.
  • PC input mirrors my computer monitor at 1440p, and games look great from my seating position. Text (e.g. web pages) is readable at that resolution but not that great as it’s not 4:4:4. Would not use this as a high resolution computer monitor, but for games or movies played from a PC it’s fantastic. Was a lot of fun to watch the Atmos demos to fully experience my new HT.

Since this is my first projector I can’t give any comparisons to other PJs, and since I don’t have any 4k / HDR sources I can’t comment on those either. I will probably pick up a game console and UHD player around Black Friday, after which I’ll dive into that world. We’ll be living in a 1080p world for at least a few years though, and I’m super happy with this PJ for that purpose.
I’ve read every word of this (and the other) thread and want to thank all the earliest adopters for helping me make an informed decision regarding the benefits and limitations of this PJ. I hope these impressions help anyone else out there with a similar setup and/or mindset. Thanks!!!
Viche, trainfan, Ronman79 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by filter_sweep; 10-11-2016 at 07:01 PM.
post #1687 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
FI is pretty obvious when ON. do you see it working when 4K enhancement is on? You said no when OFF.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1688 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
FI is pretty obvious when ON. do you see it working when 4K enhancement is on? You said no when OFF.

FI is greyed out when 4k enhancement is ON, so I have to turn 4k enhancement OFF to use the FI at all. Turning on FI though, and changing the settings, does nothing to the image that my eyes can see, which make me wonder if it's broken on my unit.
post #1689 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well it works with bluray 24p and 4K on. Confirmed. It's actually one of the few instances it will enable. Mostly 24p content. And yes it's so obvious. Not sure what's going on with your unit.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #1690 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So you guys think best way to watch 24p 1080p blu ray on the Epson is to turn 4K enhancement on? Or leave it off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1691 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Well it works with bluray 24p and 4K on. Confirmed. It's actually one of the few instances it will enable. Mostly 24p content. And yes it's so obvious. Not sure what's going on with your unit.

Well now that you mention it, I only tried to enable it twice, both while watching sports broadcasts (NFL football and F1 racing). Could it be that those sources were already 60hz, so the FI didn't do anything? I'll test it out on a Blu-ray tonight.
post #1692 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FI is greyed out for me on cable 60hz. Plus, it would make no sense on such frame rate

post #1693 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
So you guys think best way to watch 24p 1080p blu ray on the Epson is to turn 4K enhancement on? Or leave it off ?

My vote is definitely on, very nice increase in sharpness without artifacts. This feature is the main reason I got this PJ.
post #1694 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would always leave it on. It increases your pixel fill rate. And it does it without losing sharpness. Surprisingly.
ndabunka likes this.

post #1695 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ok thanks guys

post #1696 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
FI is greyed out for me on cable 60hz. Plus, it would make no sense on such frame rate

Is your 4k enhancement ON when watching cable at 60hz? I have to turn it off to un-grey the FI. But your comment is starting to make me think maybe mine isn't broken at all. I'll report back after some testing.
post #1697 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filter_sweep View Post
FI is greyed out when 4k enhancement is ON, so I have to turn 4k enhancement OFF to use the FI at all. Turning on FI though, and changing the settings, does nothing to the image that my eyes can see, which make me wonder if it's broken on my unit.
I also don't notice much difference with FI on or off so I doubt yours is broken. Some people are more sensitive to FI than others and therefore what some may find "very obvious" isn't to you or I. Perhaps we should identify specific content where FI may be more obvious than others so perhaps the others can tell us what content they are watching where it it more obvious
gnolivos likes this.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #1698 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you enable it on any bluray (they are 24 fps) then it should be very obvious. It will take it to perhaps 60fps or more. Not sure. If you can't see it, then I guess your brain is wired differently. Some people can't notice things that others can. I'm OCD and I notice EVERYTHING.

post #1699 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There is no reason to EVER turn it off. While true that 3D doesn't have a 4K component, the projector automatically recognizes that and turns it off for 3D content and then back on for non-3D
gnolivos likes this.

post #1700 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Question

i hope somebody who successfully updated the FW of the Epson may help me...

i've tried to update my TW9300 (honestly, i don't exactly know if it's the European version of the 5040 or 6040, but it doesn't really matter) and it doesn't work

i followed the instructions (power off, thumb drive (FAT, only the update file in root) into USB, insert power cord while press and hold the power button...), it starts, all lights are on and after very few seconds it switches off again...
i tried the same with the USB cable and a PC (ok, actually a MacBook) of course using the Mini USB port instead and the result is the same: insert power cord while pressing the power button, all lights on, release power button -> power off

i have no clue what i'm doing wrong?

Regarding the trouble shooting guide the thumb drive and the PC/Mac aren't recognized. Even if i have the wrong FW update file, in case of the "USB cable method" the projector should be recognized as portable drive but it switches off and i don't have the chance to copy the update file.
post #1701 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok here's the thing. If you turn 4K off, it may allow you to enable FI on cable content etc. In that case though the source is likely 60hz and therefore you won't see a difference.

Like I said, try it in bluray. Then decide if it is working.

post #1702 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
The 6040 also includes image stretch modes for support of anamorphic lenses and widescreen projection, same as the 6030. Those modes are not available on the 5040.

Whoa. Just to confirm, the 5040 will still zoom for anamorphic content, right? I just bought the 5040 (doesn't arrive until next week). I have an anamorphic aspect ratio screen and want to make sure I can still zoom to fill the screen?
post #1703 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Banshee View Post
Whoa. Just to confirm, the 5040 will still zoom for anamorphic content, right? I just bought the 5040 (doesn't arrive until next week). I have an anamorphic aspect ratio screen and want to make sure I can still zoom to fill the screen?
No worries - yes, the 5040 will zoom to fill the wide aspect screen, pushing the projected 'black bars' above and below the screen. The difference is an anamorphic lens uses the full available panel resolution (and brightness) by having the projector (or an external processor) stretch the image to fit the full 16:9 frame, before the lens expands it to the full widescreen 2: 39/2:40 dimensions.

I would expect the pixel shifting of the xx40 series should make the zoomed widescreen image look better than ever - and the power adjustments and selectable memories make it easier than ever to implement. Enjoy your new projector!
post #1704 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
No worries - yes, the 5040 will zoom to fill the wide aspect screen, pushing the projected 'black bars' above and below the screen. The difference is an anamorphic lens uses the full available panel resolution (and brightness) by having the projector (or an external processor) stretch the image to fit the full 16:9 frame, before the lens expands it to the full widescreen 2: 39/2:40 dimensions.

I would expect the pixel shifting of the xx40 series should make the zoomed widescreen image look better than ever - and the power adjustments and selectable memories make it easier than ever to implement. Enjoy your new projector!
I too was unaware the 5040 did not (itself) support aspect ratio, especially since there is a dedicated button on the remote. It's no biggie for me, as both my blu ray player and Denon AVR will do this and I can still use my anamorphic lens.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #1705 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Banshee View Post

It won't stretch which is what you'd really want for your lens. That would give you best use of resolution and brightness. The options are on the menu but they don't work for bluray HDMI for some reason. Or any HDMI source for that matter.

Edit: sorry I thought you said you had an anamorphic lens. So you'll be fine because you CAN zoom. Just not stretch.

Last edited by gnolivos; 10-11-2016 at 06:24 PM.
post #1706 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[QUOTE=Mickey Mouse;47410625]i hope somebody who successfully updated the FW of the Epson may help me...

i've tried to update my TW9300 (honestly, i don't exactly know if it's the European version of the 5040 or 6040, but it doesn't really matter) and it doesn't work

i followed the instructions (power off, thumb drive (FAT, only the update file in root) into USB, insert power cord while press and hold the power button...), it starts, all lights are on and after very few seconds it switches off again...
i tried the same with the USB cable and a PC (ok, actually a MacBook) of course using the Mini USB port instead and the result is the same: insert power cord while pressing the power button, all lights on, release power button -> power off

i have no clue what i'm doing wrong?

The same happened to me when I update the firmware. So, I deleted everything in the usb drive and format to FAT in my Windows 7 laptop (Previously, I tried formatting the usb drive on my MacBook Pro, but it doesn't work)... Then, from my windows laptop I downloaded the file in the usb drive directly. I followed the instructions, and it worked.
post #1707 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Ok here's the thing. If you turn 4K off, it may allow you to enable FI on cable content etc. In that case though the source is likely 60hz and therefore you won't see a difference.

Like I said, try it in bluray. Then decide if it is working.
Yep, you were right, I tried it in blu-ray and I can confirm that FI is working, definitely creates the soap opera effect when on the high FI setting. I went back and edited my original post so no one worries that some units have this broken.

However, I was unable to get both 4k enhancement AND FI working at the same time on a 24hz source... at least from what the PJ was telling me... as soon as I enable one, the other one gets disabled or greyed out. My wife likes the FI effect so I wouldn't mind setting it on low while 4k enhancement is on, but no dice so far. Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out, not worried at all about it though because 40 years of watching 24hz movies have conditioned me to like the slow, blurry and juddery motion of film.
post #1708 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FI with 4K available ONLY with bluray. Been discussed many times! We need a FAQ

post #1709 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
FI with 4K available ONLY with bluray. Been discussed many times! We need a FAQ
Agreed we need a FAQ... but just for clarity, my test tonight was with a blu-ray. Did some web searching and Epson does have a FAQ with a note stating FI only works with 1080p @ 24hz, but it doesn't mention anything about conflicts with the 4k enhancement. Like I said, not a big deal to me either way, but I'm curious how this works for you but not for me. Will do some more digging.
post #1710 of 17660 Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, it seems as though the customer support for Epson in Australia isn't as good as it is in the US.

I had explained to them that I was having the issue of the annoying buzzing/whirring noise when 4K enhancement is on and that other people have got replacements that don't make the noise, so the noise isn't normal, and asked if I could get a replacement. They came back to me asking for links to where people were saying they got replacements and I sent them a few links to comments on this thread.

Now they've finally come back to me with this:

Quote:
Hi ****

We have run some tests and even though there is some noise produced under certain conditions, the noise output is still within the specifications of the product. As such we do not consider this issue a fault with the product.

Regards,

Anthony
So apparently they've run some tests, and without any access to my projector, have said that the noise coming from it is within specification. To be fair, the noise is probably within the dB rating, but it's a very annoying noise that makes me want to just use 1080p content if I'm not going to be turning the volume up loud enough to drown it out.

I've considered just keeping it and dealing with the noise, but I've now had a few people comment on how loud the projector is, and that's even worse a feeling than having to put up with the noise myself. So I'm now going to attempt to return it to the store I bought it from and see how that goes. It does mean I'll be projectorless for a while if they do agree to replace it, but from what I've heard it is worth getting a replacement that doesn't have the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page