Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 575 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26885Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17221 of 17660 Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Member
 
scottjwoodford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think I figured out how to fix the jittery Roku playback if anyone else is having the same problem. In the advanced menu on the Roku there's an option to auto-adjust the display refresh rate. When I enabled this it seemed to fix the problem, and now the video is smooth. Hope this helps someone else!

Also, I have searched and searched but can't seem to find out how to get HDR BT2020 to output from the Roku. From what I can tell on the forums (not entirely clear to me) I need the HD Fury Linker for this due to the bit depth that the Roku sends? I swear when I first got this thing it was showing HDR BT2020 on the info screen and now no matter what settings I choose I can't get it to output HDR. Anyone have any ideas?
scottjwoodford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17222 of 17660 Old 04-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Member
 
john hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Heard from Stacy at Spears and Munsil that their UHD test disc should be out end of May.
I know some users here will be interested.
john hunter is offline  
post #17223 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Member
 
avtoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Toronto. Canada
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 54
New Epsons

5050UB and 6050UB announced today: https://news.epson.com/news/4k-diy-h...ter-projectors

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S2 surround, XTZ 1X12 subwoofer, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
avtoronto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17224 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Member
 
monkaquinas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Has anyone seen this? I contacted Epson Support to get them to give us NITS for each Color Mode and they gave me these since it's been like a month.

This number is NITS for each HDR mode. Please refer to below.

Auto(Bright) :HDR1
Auto :HDR2
HDR1 :300
HDR2 :500
HDR3 :1,000
HDR4 :4,000

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
monkaquinas is offline  
post #17225 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
Has anyone seen this? I contacted Epson Support to get them to give us NITS for each Color Mode and they gave me these since it's been like a month.

This number is NITS for each HDR mode. Please refer to below.

Auto(Bright) :HDR1
Auto :HDR2
HDR1 :300
HDR2 :500
HDR3 :1,000
HDR4 :4,000

Yes these figures are where each mode clips, its been know for a while now.
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #17226 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Member
 
monkaquinas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Yes these figures are where each mode clips, its been know for a while now.
Oh well, so much for me actually contributing something useful to the thread.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
monkaquinas is offline  
post #17227 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Member
 
scottjwoodford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
Oh well, so much for me actually contributing something useful to the thread.
It's always useful to post info like this, so thank you! Up until now I had never seen it on this thread. Searching isn't exactly robust in these forums.

So what does this tell us? Do higher nits equate to better PQ or is it dependent on a million different factors like everything else with projectors.
scottjwoodford is offline  
post #17228 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everyone, I’m using a 5040UB on on a 88” high 206” wide screen. The results I have so far are pretty good, but I’m new to calibration. I’m using HCFR with a color munki meter. The screen I’m using is commercial grade. I’m unaware of the gain.
I’m trying to learn about Harpervision to test the HDR results I can get. 709 content looks great after little calibration. But I want to learn more about this projector. Its a bit confusing in some areas. On previous projectors I was used to color temp being displayed as D65, or 6500K. Being an owner of a 35mm projector, I’ve always preferred the warmer color look.
On the Epson 5040, color temp is displayed as 1-10. I don’t have the slightest idea what D65 would be.
And gamma is 2 through -2. But what equates to a 2.2 gamma like other projectors have ?
I feel like not knowing these, is giving me inaccurate results with HCFR calibrations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
TSHA222 likes this.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #17229 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TSHA222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: barely within my means
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Hi everyone, I’m using a 5040UB on on a 88” high 206” wide screen. The results I have so far are pretty good, but I’m new to calibration. I’m using HCFR with a color munki meter. The screen I’m using is commercial grade. I’m unaware of the gain.
I’m trying to learn about Harpervision to test the HDR results I can get. 709 content looks great after little calibration. But I want to learn more about this projector. Its a bit confusing in some areas. On previous projectors I was used to color temp being displayed as D65, or 6500K. Being an owner of a 35mm projector, I’ve always preferred the warmer color look.
On the Epson 5040, color temp is displayed as 1-10. I don’t have the slightest idea what D65 would be.
And gamma is 2 through -2. But what equates to a 2.2 gamma like other projectors have ?
I feel like not knowing these, is giving me inaccurate results with HCFR calibrations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Good to see someone as crazy as me. I’m running a 6030ub with ISCO IIIL on a 16’ wide scope and love it. I’m using a perfed screen from Harkness with a gain of app. 1.6 of I remember correctly. My new home is under construction though and I’m going to be pushing whatever I get to the max with a 20’ wide scope screen. Initially I’m looking at a 5050 since I love what my current older gen Epson puts out.
TSHA222 is offline  
post #17230 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjwoodford View Post
It's always useful to post info like this, so thank you! Up until now I had never seen it on this thread. Searching isn't exactly robust in these forums.

So what does this tell us? Do higher nits equate to better PQ or is it dependent on a million different factors like everything else with projectors.

These figures just show that each HDR mode has a different clipping point, i.e for HDR1 for example everything above 300 is clipped/cut off.


Seeing as these projector cant get anywhere near 1000 nits trying to reach it is just going to dim the picture as the projector tries to achieve this target.


So clipping at 300 nits or 400 nits will produce a brighter picture which is preferred by most & is at minimal loss of picture quality as only the higher nit content is clipped which is normally only a fraction of the total content displayed like specular highlights.



These projectors cant really do HDR but some of the custom gamma curves in this thread really do a good at getting the most out of whats available.


This is my understanding anyway I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to provide more insight.
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #17231 of 17660 Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Hi everyone, I’m using a 5040UB on on a 88” high 206” wide screen. The results I have so far are pretty good, but I’m new to calibration. I’m using HCFR with a color munki meter. The screen I’m using is commercial grade. I’m unaware of the gain.
I’m trying to learn about Harpervision to test the HDR results I can get. 709 content looks great after little calibration. But I want to learn more about this projector. Its a bit confusing in some areas. On previous projectors I was used to color temp being displayed as D65, or 6500K. Being an owner of a 35mm projector, I’ve always preferred the warmer color look.
On the Epson 5040, color temp is displayed as 1-10. I don’t have the slightest idea what D65 would be.
And gamma is 2 through -2. But what equates to a 2.2 gamma like other projectors have ?
I feel like not knowing these, is giving me inaccurate results with HCFR calibrations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Good to see someone as crazy as me. I’m running a 6030ub with ISCO IIIL on a 16’ wide scope and love it. I’m using a perfed screen from Harkness with a gain of app. 1.6 of I remember correctly. My new home is under construction though and I’m going to be pushing whatever I get to the max with a 20’ wide scope screen. Initially I’m looking at a 5050 since I love what my current older gen Epson puts out.

Nice, what settings are you using for your projector ? And what are you using to calibrate it with ?
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #17232 of 17660 Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TSHA222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: barely within my means
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Nice, what settings are you using for your projector ? And what are you using to calibrate it with ?
Well to be honest, I haven’t really done much with regards to calibrating. I bought the 6030 as a temporary replacement for an older DPI Mercury 3 Chip DLP that I had for the theater. It started acting up and I had people coming over for a Super Bowl party and I was worried it would bite it at the worst time. Over 3 years later and the Epson is still the projector we’re using. But we are building a house which will have a new theater and new projector. That projector will get calibrated which is why I’m following all these Epson threads in anticipation of getting the new room finished.
TSHA222 is offline  
post #17233 of 17660 Old 04-10-2019, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question?

I have a question for 5040ub owners. What is the distance between the front and rear feet measured at the center of each feet? I have a rear shelf that is smaller than the depth of the projector, but it might fit depending on where the feet are located at

AV since 1980
VideoDrone is offline  
post #17234 of 17660 Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Member
 
scottjwoodford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
These figures just show that each HDR mode has a different clipping point, i.e for HDR1 for example everything above 300 is clipped/cut off.


Seeing as these projector cant get anywhere near 1000 nits trying to reach it is just going to dim the picture as the projector tries to achieve this target.


So clipping at 300 nits or 400 nits will produce a brighter picture which is preferred by most & is at minimal loss of picture quality as only the higher nit content is clipped which is normally only a fraction of the total content displayed like specular highlights.



These projectors cant really do HDR but some of the custom gamma curves in this thread really do a good at getting the most out of whats available.


This is my understanding anyway I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to provide more insight.
This is great, thanks for the explanation. Very helpful!
AdamAttewell likes this.
scottjwoodford is offline  
post #17235 of 17660 Old 04-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoDrone View Post
I have a question for 5040ub owners. What is the distance between the front and rear feet measured at the center of each feet? I have a rear shelf that is smaller than the depth of the projector, but it might fit depending on where the feet are located at
There are no rear feet, only two front feet which measure 17 1/8" on center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson 5040UB Bottom.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	2551908  

Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-7 | Yamaha CX-A5000 | Mitsubishi WD-73742 | Epson 5040UB
Boston Acoustics VS 336s, VS 325c, Emotiva ERD-1s (x2) | 15" TC-2000 DIY Sub
Dish Hopper with Sling | Oppo BDP-93 | AppleTV v4 | Roku Ultra
tomd51 is offline  
post #17236 of 17660 Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi, I am over on the Epson 5050 thread and we were trying to remember the setting/adjustment that someone came up with to remove the ghosting problem the 5040 sometimes had. Was it the 3D depth adjustment or some other setting. I just can't remember. Help us out, brains trust.
ShadowBoy is offline  
post #17237 of 17660 Old 04-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Member
 
scottjwoodford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone recommend a good ISF calibrator in Northern VA?
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
scottjwoodford is offline  
post #17238 of 17660 Old 04-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Need advice on any issues upgrading to a 2:35?


I've had a 16:9 150" Cinegrey 3D screen from the day I bought the 5040ube when it first came out. Full blown dark theater for Movies once a week and gaming (Mostly Star Wars battle front I & II)
Seems every singe movie is in 2:35 format. When ever game or watch anything in 16:9, the screen fills up perfectly. On 2:35 the projector automatically fills from side to side with black bars on top and bottom and I never have to adjust anything. So I am planing on upgrading to a 175" 2:35 (reason going that big is to retain the same height that I have with my 16:9).

My concern and question is once I go 2:35, do I have to constantly change memory positions when playing anything in the 16:9 format and then again when playing a 2:35? or will it be automatic like it is now?

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #17239 of 17660 Old 04-12-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
Hi, I am over on the Epson 5050 thread and we were trying to remember the setting/adjustment that someone came up with to remove the ghosting problem the 5040 sometimes had. Was it the 3D depth adjustment or some other setting. I just can't remember. Help us out, brains trust.
Reduce 3D Depth setting
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #17240 of 17660 Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
seplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
Hi, I am over on the Epson 5050 thread and we were trying to remember the setting/adjustment that someone came up with to remove the ghosting problem the 5040 sometimes had. Was it the 3D depth adjustment or some other setting. I just can't remember. Help us out, brains trust.
Reducing 3D depth and brightness definitely helps but what made the biggest difference for me was turning off the auto iris. Ghosting was horrendous for me with the auto iris on. Beautiful without.
seplant is offline  
post #17241 of 17660 Old 04-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just received my recently purchased 5040UB two days ago. I’ve been running an Optoma HD25E for the last 5 years, and been very happy with it. It was better contrast wise and had deeper blacks than its peers, like the Benq 1070. I was able use settings from another user that made the skin tones very nice.

This Epson is in a whole another league however. It has a pop to the image that makes it look like a giant plasma screen. Could be the very high end lens and high ANSI contrast (Cine4home measured 412:1). It is enormous, but gorgeous. The blacks, contrast, and brightness is a huge step up from my HD25e. I tried the Iris (fast mode) on last night for an hour, and didn’t notice it even once. I’m usually quite sensitive to brightness pumping, but noticed none in my brief time. Very impressed!

Unfortunately, my Optoma ZF2100 3D glasses would not sync with the Epson. Any recommendations on 3D glasses that are reasonably priced? I think I’ll keep my DLP PJ though, as the 3D on it was flawless, but I’m curious to try the Epson as it seems it would be brighter. I wear prescription glasses already, so looking for ones that can fit overtop comfortably (the ZF2100 are very good this way). Any recommendations would be most welcome

Also, anyone use an Amazon 4K Fire Stick with this PJ? That’s the only 4K capable device I have, and not sure if its worth trying. I have a Nvidia Shield TV, but its for the living room duty only and I’m not allowed to take it.

Anyone use an HTPC and MADVR to do HDR on this Epson? Seems like I need to upgrade to a minimum 1070 video card to do it justice. It’s a shame, as I won’t be doing any gaming, so seems like a waste of such a fast video card. Opinions welcome!

Last edited by Xavier3; 04-12-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Xavier3 is offline  
post #17242 of 17660 Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoy View Post
Hi, I am over on the Epson 5050 thread and we were trying to remember the setting/adjustment that someone came up with to remove the ghosting problem the 5040 sometimes had. Was it the 3D depth adjustment or some other setting. I just can't remember. Help us out, brains trust.


I took screenshots of what helped fix the ghosting/crosstalk issues for me.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Al O likes this.

Last edited by n4xxr76; 04-12-2019 at 06:25 PM.
n4xxr76 is offline  
post #17243 of 17660 Old 04-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know the conversion for the gamma and color temp ?
For example, on previous projectors, you would see 2.0, 2.2, 1.8, etc for gamma. Now its 2,1,0,-1,-2
With color temp, it used to be D65 or 6500K. Now its 1 - 10


Anyone have some ideas ?
Thanks
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #17244 of 17660 Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 201
HDMI 1 Went Bad

Purchased the 5040 on 4/18/17. So I'm in warranty by 5 days. I used the projector last weekend, everything was fine. I use it almost every weekend, never a problem. Tonight, I go to use, and it says no signal, no matter what I do. Move the HDMI cord over to input 2, and it works. Anyone ever seen this issue? I'll call Epson as soon as they are open. But in the mean time, I went to their website to check the warranty status, and it says it expired on 2/27/19. Reading their warranty, it says 2 years from purchase date. I have the reciept dated 4/18/17 from projector people. I'm assuming they will use that date? Any other advise?

Epson 5040 UB | Silver Ticket 120" 16:9 Screen | Phillips 7501 | Yamaha RX-V781 | Xbox 1S | Nvidia Shield | Dual PB16 Ultra's | Klipsch RP-280F's Left & Right | RP-450C Center | Niles HDFX Surround & Atmos Speakers |
jbrazda is offline  
post #17245 of 17660 Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
Need advice on any issues upgrading to a 2:35?


I've had a 16:9 150" Cinegrey 3D screen from the day I bought the 5040ube when it first came out. Full blown dark theater for Movies once a week and gaming (Mostly Star Wars battle front I & II)
Seems every singe movie is in 2:35 format. When ever game or watch anything in 16:9, the screen fills up perfectly. On 2:35 the projector automatically fills from side to side with black bars on top and bottom and I never have to adjust anything. So I am planing on upgrading to a 175" 2:35 (reason going that big is to retain the same height that I have with my 16:9).

My concern and question is once I go 2:35, do I have to constantly change memory positions when playing anything in the 16:9 format and then again when playing a 2:35? or will it be automatic like it is now?
Yes you’ll set Lens1 and Lens2 and switch between some. Usually I leave it 16:9 until we pick something, then switch to 2.35 lens setting if needed. I have velvet curtains I bring in when watching a 16:9 show. But you’ll love opening the curtains up for the wide feel. I’d never go away from CIH. If you’re the type of person that loads up an epic movie on a 16:9 TV and then is disappointed it’s *smaller* and has black bars, you’ll love it too.
jdtsmith is offline  
post #17246 of 17660 Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 5,341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
Yes you’ll set Lens1 and Lens2 and switch between some. Usually I leave it 16:9 until we pick something, then switch to 2.35 lens setting if needed. I have velvet curtains I bring in when watching a 16:9 show. But you’ll love opening the curtains up for the wide feel. I’d never go away from CIH. If you’re the type of person that loads up an epic movie on a 16:9 TV and then is disappointed it’s *smaller* and has black bars, you’ll love it too.
Agreed. The requirement to have to manually push the Lens Buttons is my biggest disappointment with this projector. Although I have the opposite issue...a 2.35 screen that I can fill and then when it changes to 16:9 it fills the width and the top and bottom are off the screen so I have to hit the lens button.

Again, my Panasonic 4000 auto detected the change in AR and switched lens position automatically...no button push required. So we KNOW it can be done, how do we request feature requests to Epson?
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #17247 of 17660 Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
 
jdtsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
Agreed. The requirement to have to manually push the Lens Buttons is my biggest disappointment with this projector. Although I have the opposite issue...a 2.35 screen that I can fill and then when it changes to 16:9 it fills the width and the top and bottom are off the screen so I have to hit the lens button.

Again, my Panasonic 4000 auto detected the change in AR and switched lens position automatically...no button push required. So we KNOW it can be done, how do we request feature requests to Epson?
How does the Panasonic know the AR? By looking just for the black bars algorithmically? Because changing between lens settings is slow (~10sec), constant automatic changes based on input aspect ratio could get annoying, e.g. as you switch from AppleTV interface at 16:9 to a 2.35:1 movie, then change your mind, etc. I'd also be wary because my AV receiver puts, e.g., a volume change bar down below in the 2.35 letterbox area, which might confuse any algorithm. Would be nice if AR was encoded in the digital stream, but AFAIK it isn't.

I just think of Lens setting as part of the general overhead to watching with a projector: check for SDR vs. HDR + HD vs. UHD, select an appropriate Memory settings slot, set the appropriate lens settings, adjust my curtains, etc. With 10 lens setting position, I've even seen intermediate 2:1 material, and can set accordingly.

If lens changing were faster, it would also be cool to work for any aspect ratio. Fix the placement and image height at native chip format (16:9), then tell the projector to always keep that height and placement the same (down to some AR).
jdtsmith is offline  
post #17248 of 17660 Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Does anyone know the conversion for the gamma and color temp ?
For example, on previous projectors, you would see 2.0, 2.2, 1.8, etc for gamma. Now its 2,1,0,-1,-2
With color temp, it used to be D65 or 6500K. Now its 1 - 10


Anyone have some ideas ?
Thanks
Anyone? Anybody?
I Can’t find any information on this through reviews, other sites, and even the manual.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #17249 of 17660 Old 04-15-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 5,341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsmith View Post
How does the Panasonic know the AR? By looking just for the black bars algorithmically? Because changing between lens settings is slow (~10sec), constant automatic changes based on input aspect ratio could get annoying, e.g. as you switch from AppleTV interface at 16:9 to a 2.35:1 movie, then change your mind, etc. I'd also be wary because my AV receiver puts, e.g., a volume change bar down below in the 2.35 letterbox area, which might confuse any algorithm. Would be nice if AR was encoded in the digital stream, but AFAIK it isn't.

I just think of Lens setting as part of the general overhead to watching with a projector: check for SDR vs. HDR + HD vs. UHD, select an appropriate Memory settings slot, set the appropriate lens settings, adjust my curtains, etc. With 10 lens setting position, I've even seen intermediate 2:1 material, and can set accordingly.

If lens changing were faster, it would also be cool to work for any aspect ratio. Fix the placement and image height at native chip format (16:9), then tell the projector to always keep that height and placement the same (down to some AR).
I don't know, but I THINK the AR is embedded in the signal. And the Panny 4000 had that annoying AR changing message, too, but they made it configurable in the 5000. Actually the Panny had auto settings for 4:3 (that's how old it was!), 16:9 and 2:35. Then you could save others (10 more I think) but for those you would need to manually select them. Every once in a while a 240 AR would show up that had very thin gray bars at top and bottom, but didn't bother me enough to create a setting for it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #17250 of 17660 Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has just setup madVR on his HTPC for HDR dynamic tone mapping etc.. He has an Epson 9300 which I believe is a 5040ub model. Can someone who has the Epson recommend which settings to choose on the projector please? Thank you so much
WynsWrld98 likes this.
mkohman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off