Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 577 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26949Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17281 of 18054 Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thank you boblinds and datajunkie! Looks like a 1070 is what I should be looking for, or the 1160ti I believe is another one that also offers YouTube HDR (not sure I’ll use that feature though.
Xavier3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17282 of 18054 Old 04-21-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Interested in how many people have a Panny UB820 paired with the Epson, and what your settings are on the Epson for both HDR on the UB820 and SDR2020 on the UB820. Ive been reading various posts on the 820 forum about ensuring the projectors are set to 2.4 gamma when doing SDR2020 but not sure what settings on the Epson provide 2.4 gamma. Is it just a change in the gamma setting to like a -1 or -2, or is it a combination of this and choosing a color mode like Cinema, or even tweaking the HDR setting to an Auto 1 or Auto 2.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. As an FYI, I’ve tried all kinds of settings for this pj from Harpervision, Oledurt, etc. and while I do have some presets that I like I want to make sure I’m setting everything up correctly with the UB820.
The majority of those posts in the 820 forum are referring to JVC projectors, not the Epsons.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #17283 of 18054 Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
spirithockey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The majority of those posts in the 820 forum are referring to JVC projectors, not the Epsons.


Agreed. But my understanding is that the 2.4 gamma recommendation isn’t limited to the JVC. Sounds like in order to have the tone mapping done properly with the 820 there are some specific pj settings required. That’s what I’m trying to nail down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
spirithockey79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17284 of 18054 Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Member
 
timescape7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am curious... if anyone did measure it. Is this model complying to 100% DCI-P3? what's the brightness as a result?
timescape7 is offline  
post #17285 of 18054 Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Member
 
albo75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Called tonight and they had one on hand to send me. Try again
I did just that, they sent a replacement, and it's much better!
albo75 is offline  
post #17286 of 18054 Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have had an issue where I turn on the projector after a day or so and the image has shifted about an inch lower. I first though that it was the projector maybe moving on the mount real odd but possible. So I fixed the position and saved the lens position last night. I then turned it on tonight and again it was about an inch lower so I loaded the lens position and it went like 3 inches lower. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #17287 of 18054 Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,180
Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
I have had an issue where I turn on the projector after a day or so and the image has shifted about an inch lower. I first though that it was the projector maybe moving on the mount real odd but possible. So I fixed the position and saved the lens position last night. I then turned it on tonight and again it was about an inch lower so I loaded the lens position and it went like 3 inches lower. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk


Yeah. You have to move the projector by X amount before it saves. So advice I’ve seen is to take everything out of position by a significant amount and adjust only one direction before you save. NO FINE tuning going back and forth, because the memory won’t save that fine tuning. It only saves the initial one way direction and subsequent one way clicks before you stop or reverse.

Dumb

My 2012 Panasonic AE8000U had none of these Epson nuances with the lens memory —- and Auto-switched to 2.35:1 overzoomed automatically based on content. The Panasonic just went to the saved memory setting without all the XY reset stuff to...like the Espon seems to go all the way to the left all the way to the top, then find it’s way to the memory position.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tlogan6797 and tlogan6797 like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #17288 of 18054 Old 04-24-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 5,342
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yeah. You have to move the projector by X amount before it saves. So advice I’ve seen is to take everything out of position by a significant amount and adjust only one direction before you save. NO FINE tuning going back and forth, because the memory won’t save that fine tuning. It only saves the initial one way direction and subsequent one way clicks before you stop or reverse.

Dumb

My 2012 Panasonic AE8000U had none of these Epson nuances with the lens memory —- and Auto-switched to 2.35:1 overzoomed automatically based on content. The Panasonic just went to the saved memory setting without all the XY reset stuff to...like the Espon seems to go all the way to the left all the way to the top, then find it’s way to the memory position.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed wholeheartedly. This is my one disappointment in upgrading from Panny to Epson 5040. My Panny 4000 had the same features, so it could done from at least 15 years ago. Does Panasonic have a patent on that Lens/AR determining software because Epson could sure learn a thing or two. And since Panasonic is not making projectors anymore, maybe Epson can pick it up. I would think Panasonic would have a hard time defending that patent if they DO have one.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #17289 of 18054 Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Member
 
jt7272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Interested in how many people have a Panny UB820 paired with the Epson, and what your settings are on the Epson for both HDR on the UB820 and SDR2020 on the UB820. Ive been reading various posts on the 820 forum about ensuring the projectors are set to 2.4 gamma when doing SDR2020 but not sure what settings on the Epson provide 2.4 gamma. Is it just a change in the gamma setting to like a -1 or -2, or is it a combination of this and choosing a color mode like Cinema, or even tweaking the HDR setting to an Auto 1 or Auto 2.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. As an FYI, I’ve tried all kinds of settings for this pj from Harpervision, Oledurt, etc. and while I do have some presets that I like I want to make sure I’m setting everything up correctly with the UB820.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would like to know this too as I am about to pick up a UB820.

Epson 6040ub
Denon AVR-X3400H + Mirage OMD-5 surrounds
Home-made Hybrid PCB Electrostatic Floorstanding L+R Speakers (with built-in DSP + amps)
Home-made sub with 15" Ultimax woofer, Dayton SA1000 Amp
Sony PS4, Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB820
jt7272 is offline  
post #17290 of 18054 Old 04-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Lithium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Agreed. But my understanding is that the 2.4 gamma recommendation isn’t limited to the JVC. Sounds like in order to have the tone mapping done properly with the 820 there are some specific pj settings required. That’s what I’m trying to nail down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt7272 View Post
I would like to know this too as I am about to pick up a UB820.
I've been away from the thread for a few weeks but as far as I know we don't have a good 2.4 gamma calibration as it is not a trivial operation (unlike on JVCs).

I stand by my older post that for best results I recommend HarperVision and the UB820 properly configured. Details are here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57464488
Dave Harper likes this.
Lithium is offline  
post #17291 of 18054 Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
terminal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Interested in how many people have a Panny UB820 paired with the Epson, and what your settings are on the Epson for both HDR on the UB820 and SDR2020 on the UB820. Ive been reading various posts on the 820 forum about ensuring the projectors are set to 2.4 gamma when doing SDR2020 but not sure what settings on the Epson provide 2.4 gamma. Is it just a change in the gamma setting to like a -1 or -2, or is it a combination of this and choosing a color mode like Cinema, or even tweaking the HDR setting to an Auto 1 or Auto 2.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. As an FYI, I’ve tried all kinds of settings for this pj from Harpervision, Oledurt, etc. and while I do have some presets that I like I want to make sure I’m setting everything up correctly with the UB820.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt7272 View Post
I would like to know this too as I am about to pick up a UB820.
I happen to take a couple of pics (Aquaman 4K disc) last night with the HDR Optimizer On and Off on the 820. These aren't the greatest pics or the best example, but it does show a difference, so hopefully it helps. With the Optimizer Off, the white was blown out. With it On, you can see detail in the white. (It is more noticeable in person, or course.)

Epson Settings
Super White: Off
Dynamic Range: Auto (Bright)

Panny Settings
Output: HDR2020
Dynamic Range Adjustment: 4

*The thing I found out was that I needed to have Super White Off in the Epson to show the effect of the HDR Optimizer. With...
- Super White On and HDR Optimizer On = less detail in white, similar to the 1st pic below
- Super White On and HDR Optimizer Off = detail did show in white, similar to the 2nd pic below

I may be wrong, but from what I read it seems that with Super White On, the Epson tries to prevent blown out whites. So with SW On, along with the Optimizer On, it does not produce as much detail in the whites because they're both trying to prevent blown out whites. I'll test some more tonight on that theory, but maybe others can too. Basically the HDR Optimizer worked better when Super White was set to Off in the Epson.

My next thing will be to have Super White Off and the Panny set to output SDR2020. I haven't tested that yet. (I did watch Aquaman and Bumblebee with the Panny outputting SDR2020, but I had Super White On for those movies.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OFF.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	2557822   Click image for larger version

Name:	ON.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	2557824  

Samsung 75Q9FN
Hsu VTF-15H MK2
Ascend Acoustics 340 & 170
Denon X2300W
Panasonic UB820 + Nvidia Shield + Apple TV 4K
terminal33 is offline  
post #17292 of 18054 Old 04-25-2019, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Polish Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everyone, I'm considering replacing my 13+ year old Panny PT-AE900u with the Epson 5040ub. Simply put right now I'll be running an Xbox One S and Xfinity cable through a Yamaha TSR 7850 into the projector. BluRay and PLEX media will be played through the Xbox, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video can run through the Xbox or the cable box. I've read about some issues with the Xbox and this particular projector, but I can't figure out if that just has to do with gaming or some other issue. Can you good folks help me understand the upside/downside to what I'm proposing here? Any suggestions? Any articles or things I should read to help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance!
Polish Hammer is offline  
post #17293 of 18054 Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Hammer View Post
Hey everyone, I'm considering replacing my 13+ year old Panny PT-AE900u with the Epson 5040ub. Simply put right now I'll be running an Xbox One S and Xfinity cable through a Yamaha TSR 7850 into the projector. BluRay and PLEX media will be played through the Xbox, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video can run through the Xbox or the cable box. I've read about some issues with the Xbox and this particular projector, but I can't figure out if that just has to do with gaming or some other issue. Can you good folks help me understand the upside/downside to what I'm proposing here? Any suggestions? Any articles or things I should read to help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance!


What issue did you hear about the 5040 nd the XBOX?


I had the XBOX One S on the 5040 and then got the XBOX ONE X when it came out and have no issues using it on the 5040UBE. I use it for gaming and movies

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #17294 of 18054 Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,071
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9159 Post(s)
Liked: 16150
Looking for home theater enthusiasts to join us in NYC on May 7... register if you can attend.

https://www.avsforum.com/new-epson-4...ook-live-demo/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-25-2019 at 12:40 PM.
imagic is offline  
post #17295 of 18054 Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
What issue did you hear about the 5040 nd the XBOX?


I had the XBOX One S on the 5040 and then got the XBOX ONE X when it came out and have no issues using it on the 5040UBE. I use it for gaming and movies
Its my understanding that you cant get HDR content to work using the Xbox One S without using a linker. Outside of UHD blurays that is. Netflix streaming and gamming is restricted to SDR because of the way the Xbone sends the signal.
ofcsu1 is offline  
post #17296 of 18054 Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcsu1 View Post
Its my understanding that you cant get HDR content to work using the Xbox One S without using a linker. Outside of UHD blurays that is. Netflix streaming and gamming is restricted to SDR because of the way the Xbone sends the signal.


Oh that, yes that is a headache and there are ways around it, likner and a PHD in HDRology helps. I didn't bother with all that. However if you haven't bought one yet, I would suggest the new 5050, the band with is now at 18gb which is a big deal.

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #17297 of 18054 Old 04-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Another one bites the dust

After 15 months of light use my 5040UB wouldn't turn on last night.
Tried different power cord etc, but nothing.
Called Epson at about 9 PM EDT and got through to them and they are going to send a refurb by Fedex
I am still within the 2 yr warranty.
I have to return the dead unit in same packaging that refurb arrives in.
They put a hold on my c/c for about $1350 CDN to guarantee that I would.
The other option would be to return the dead unit to Epson first and then they would send refurb. No thanks.

I'll update when refurb arrives.
gnoid is offline  
post #17298 of 18054 Old 04-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Deejay Freddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was wondering if you can just save a preset / setting like you can do with the lens memory.

Are you able to save a setting / preset with HDR1 or HDR 2 and so on? This way you don;t have to always go to Menu and turn on HDR all the time.

7.2.4|Klipsch RP-280F|RC-64III|2 RP-402S SL/SR|2 RP-402S Backs|4 SVS Elevations ATMOS|2 Klipsch R-115SW|SANUS CFR2136 Rack|2 AC Infinity Cloudplate T2|Marantz SR7013|Emotiva XPA-7 GEN 3|Outlaw Model 5000|Panamax M-5300-PM|Monster HTS 3600|Epson 5040UB|Logitech Harmony ELITE|NVIDIA Shield PRO|Xbox One X|Sony PS4|HTPC I7 KODI|
Deejay Freddy is offline  
post #17299 of 18054 Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Member
 
simonk83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there any way to get the 9300 (which is the 6040 I think) controlled via network? I have as much of my stuff as possible automated at home and it's bugging me that I can't control the projector as well
simonk83 is offline  
post #17300 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM
Member
 
ComradeBrehznev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Morgan Hill CA
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoid View Post
After 15 months of light use my 5040UB wouldn't turn on last night.
Tried different power cord etc, but nothing.
Called Epson at about 9 PM EDT and got through to them and they are going to send a refurb by Fedex
I am still within the 2 yr warranty.
I have to return the dead unit in same packaging that refurb arrives in.
They put a hold on my c/c for about $1350 CDN to guarantee that I would.
The other option would be to return the dead unit to Epson first and then they would send refurb. No thanks.

I'll update when refurb arrives.
Standard procedure, right?

ComradeBrehznev
Oppo UDP203, Epson 5040UB; VApex 120" screen converted to AT with Seymour Center Stage XD material, Marantz SR6011 receiver, Emotiva XPA-2 for FR & FL
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Ultra Bookshelf center, SVS Elevation Atmos ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD, SVS PB-2000 subs; Emotiva side surrounds, Aperion 4BP backs
ComradeBrehznev is offline  
post #17301 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Arrrggggggghhhh - please advise!

Just bought the 5040UB and the Panasonic 820 BR. Blu-ray is irrelevant right now other than the fact I'm in the hole deep and pretty upset by the fact I am having problems with both. I'll start by saying when I bought the projector, I was lent an open box version while I waited for my unmolested one to arrive. Playing around with it was amazing, both my wife and I were amazed at the brightness and clarity. Not being a stranger to devices and having owned other projectors and such, I had a good recollection where the settings were on the loaner unit. Once I got the new one home, I was convinced it was broken! The picture was so dark that you required sun-lit scenes to really make out any detail. Colour didn't seem as good either but my main concern remains a problem with brightness. I even exaggerated the brightness of mine over the loaner but setting mode to standard rather than eco which is where the loaner was set to. Otherwise, cinema mode selected on both, all other settings comparable and still we struggle to see anything other than silhouettes (well, slight exaggeration here) during dark scenes. It really doesn't make much difference in image brightness where you put any settings other than the viewing mode (eg; cinema, bright cinema, etc). I could watch on bright cinema I suppose, but I shouldn't have to because the loaner was set to cinema and my theater is pitch black! It's so hard to see that it's really making us angry. Could this thing be broken?
marcosphoto is offline  
post #17302 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
--Sclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Aurora, IL USA
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Just bought the 5040UB and the Panasonic 820 BR. Blu-ray is irrelevant right now other than the fact I'm in the hole deep and pretty upset by the fact I am having problems with both. I'll start by saying when I bought the projector, I was lent an open box version while I waited for my unmolested one to arrive. Playing around with it was amazing, both my wife and I were amazed at the brightness and clarity. Not being a stranger to devices and having owned other projectors and such, I had a good recollection where the settings were on the loaner unit. Once I got the new one home, I was convinced it was broken! The picture was so dark that you required sun-lit scenes to really make out any detail. Colour didn't seem as good either but my main concern remains a problem with brightness. I even exaggerated the brightness of mine over the loaner but setting mode to standard rather than eco which is where the loaner was set to. Otherwise, cinema mode selected on both, all other settings comparable and still we struggle to see anything other than silhouettes (well, slight exaggeration here) during dark scenes. It really doesn't make much difference in image brightness where you put any settings other than the viewing mode (eg; cinema, bright cinema, etc). I could watch on bright cinema I suppose, but I shouldn't have to because the loaner was set to cinema and my theater is pitch black! It's so hard to see that it's really making us angry. Could this thing be broken?
Could be a bad lamp. Maybe reset to factory defaults to make sure a setting isn't messing things up. That projector is not dim, but the p3 filter in digital cinema mode will reduce light output significantly.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
--Sclaws is offline  
post #17303 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I spent another hour or so experimenting between all the components and various issues with them. With regards to the projector, it came at factory default, did not get any worse really after I mucked with it (although not much better either). I have it set to "cinema" normally as that is where my Panasonic was best, and supposedly where the epson displays the best colours as well. In "Digital Cinema", there is slightly better brightness, especially with dark subject matter (like Denzels face, which is hard to discern if he is smiling or not in most lower light scenes). In "Natural" or "Bright Cinema" there is definite improvement in brightness, but at a slight loss of colour quality. You can hear the motor moving the filter between most modes except between "cinema" and "digital cinema" even though there is definitely a difference between the two. I am having serious problems discerning detail in darker movies especially with Game of Thrones. However if I throw in a Lord of the Rings disk, I've got plenty of brightness and I can be content with eco setting and "cinema" mode. This tells me that there is a distinct problem on darker subjects and/or movies which I cannot seem to improve with settings. These observations kind of eliminate bulb issues I think, although there certainly is an obvious issue where my loaner did not have.



Noteworty: Turning on HDR is a complete waste of time, find the colours horrible and the movies all come out looking super dark and impossible to watch. Although, I did not try HDR setting with this projector, rather was discouraged with the attempt with the loaner.
marcosphoto is offline  
post #17304 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 01:07 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Just bought the 5040UB and the Panasonic 820 BR. Blu-ray is irrelevant right now other than the fact I'm in the hole deep and pretty upset by the fact I am having problems with both. I'll start by saying when I bought the projector, I was lent an open box version while I waited for my unmolested one to arrive. Playing around with it was amazing, both my wife and I were amazed at the brightness and clarity. Not being a stranger to devices and having owned other projectors and such, I had a good recollection where the settings were on the loaner unit. Once I got the new one home, I was convinced it was broken! The picture was so dark that you required sun-lit scenes to really make out any detail. Colour didn't seem as good either but my main concern remains a problem with brightness. I even exaggerated the brightness of mine over the loaner but setting mode to standard rather than eco which is where the loaner was set to. Otherwise, cinema mode selected on both, all other settings comparable and still we struggle to see anything other than silhouettes (well, slight exaggeration here) during dark scenes. It really doesn't make much difference in image brightness where you put any settings other than the viewing mode (eg; cinema, bright cinema, etc). I could watch on bright cinema I suppose, but I shouldn't have to because the loaner was set to cinema and my theater is pitch black! It's so hard to see that it's really making us angry. Could this thing be broken?

They tweaked and added some brightness modes with some firmware iterations I believe. What FW does your new one have?
Dave Harper is offline  
post #17305 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
marco1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 235
was just wondering, has the high speed fan issue at the startup of the projector been fix yet ?
marco1975 is offline  
post #17306 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's got the latest, shows as a long# ending in 111 which is supposed to be the new one. Have not noticed any fan related concerns as of yet.
marcosphoto is offline  
post #17307 of 18054 Old 04-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Willy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
anyone got a some decent settings for game of thrones , on a 100% dark room.
I'm sure it has been asked .
Willy212 is offline  
post #17308 of 18054 Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 AM
Member
 
djmattyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Brier, WA (North of Seattle)
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
was just wondering, has the high speed fan issue at the startup of the projector been fix yet ?
Mine does that every once in a while too. Not every time though. I'm not sure what the projector is doing but it will blast the fan a full speed for up to a minute then the bulb comes on. Maybe it's trying to remove dust or something? I'm not really sure.
djmattyb is offline  
post #17309 of 18054 Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Whenever I am playing any UHD HDR 10 bit contents,it can't produce 10bit colour depth at 4K resolution. It outputs 4K with correct frame rate but with 8bit colour depth which is causing the prominent colour banding. I also made the colour depth settings to auto/10/12 in my media player (Zidoo X10) but no luck. It is giving HDR BT.2020 colour primaries for all cases with 8 bit colour depth.

If I decrease the resolution of the media player while it is playing 4K HDR content to 1080p HDR, it can output 10bit colour depth and hence the colour banding is absent while 2160 HDR 8bit has annoying colour banding.

I have tested media player (Zidoo X10) and AVR (Yamaha RX -V681), they are capable of decoding 10 bit 4K HDR, so is it a bug of this projector or it can be cured?
UHDTV is offline  
post #17310 of 18054 Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM
Member
 
Blitzdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Looking for home theater enthusiasts to join us in NYC on May 7... register if you can attend.

https://www.avsforum.com/new-epson-4...ook-live-demo/
Epson events are always well catered and top drawer affairs, join for the unveiling on May 7th

AVS Forum Marketing Solutions
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
Blitzdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off