Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26942Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by filter_sweep View Post
Agreed we need a FAQ... but just for clarity, my test tonight was with a blu-ray. Did some web searching and Epson does have a FAQ with a note stating FI only works with 1080p @ 24hz, but it doesn't mention anything about conflicts with the 4k enhancement. Like I said, not a big deal to me either way, but I'm curious how this works for you but not for me. Will do some more digging.
The following is a copy / paste from the Projector Reviews review of the pre-production 6040:

"One important note: CFI does not work when pixel shifting is engaged, so there is a bit of an additional trade-off to consider – stick to standard 1080p/1080i when using it, or go for the extra detail using pixel shifting on 1080 or 4K content."

I now remember having read this when it was first published, which is why I suppose I never expected 4k enhancement and FI to work at the same time, regardless of content. You may want to double check to see if it really is working for you. If I have FI on and then I turn on 4k enhancement, it doesn't tell me FI is turned off until I go back into the menu and see it greyed out.
filter_sweep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Member
 
sgranger45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Need advice pairing A/V Receiver and HDMI Cat7 driver modules with 5040UB

Hi and thanks in advance for the help!

I have decided to purchase the 5040UB but realize I will need to upgrade my Yamaha amp (circa 2010) that only supports 1080P HDMI to effectively use the 4K enhancement capability of the new Epson projector.

I am new to the projector world and obviously this will be my first big 4K UHD purchase. I am coming up to speed on HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and HDR content (it's a lot of numbers and makes my brain hurt!). Coming from the IT world, I know that having the correct path through the network with each component handshaking an playing nice with it's upstream and downstream neighbor is really important.

I have been reviewing the Denon AVR-X2300W and the Yamaha RX-A1050. In addition to the Epson 5040, I will be pairing the AVR with Definitive Technology 8040ST L/R speakers, the Definitive CS8040HD center channel speaker and the Definitive 8040BP surrounds. I have a Klipsch 10 inch powered sub to throw in the mix if the DT 8040's built in ones aren't enough. I will also have cables in place to expand from 5.1. to 7.1 when appropriate (meaning I pay off all this other gear!)

Content sources are Comcast X1 Cable (yuck, I know), the new Roku Ultimate 4K streaming device (when released this month), an OTA HD antenna in attic for locals (need some type of digital receiver), and possibly a 4K DVD player.

Also, since the projector to rack is about 30 ft., I have been advised to use Cat7 cable and HDMI converters on each end. I'd like to have the ones the use PPoE so I can just power the units at the rack and not the projector for a cleaner install. I am struggling with the right devices to buy here. (I plan to run 2 HDMI cables to utilize the 5040's PiP feature for sports). Should I be running any other cables between the 5040 and the rack? LAN cable, etc.?

So I appreciate any advice or recommendations on the AV receiver or HDMI signal drivers. And of course, anything I left out too!

P.S. I settled on a 110 inch screen with a centered viewing area from about 13.5 feet away. I think (hope) that's a great size! Lots of people on this forum have a tendency to "go bigger" on the screen thing! (not judging!)

Thanks much for reading!
sgranger45 is offline  
post #1713 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gnolivos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OHIO, USA
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by filter_sweep View Post
The following is a copy / paste from the Projector Reviews review of the pre-production 6040:



"One important note: CFI does not work when pixel shifting is engaged, so there is a bit of an additional trade-off to consider – stick to standard 1080p/1080i when using it, or go for the extra detail using pixel shifting on 1080 or 4K content."



I now remember having read this when it was first published, which is why I suppose I never expected 4k enhancement and FI to work at the same time, regardless of content. You may want to double check to see if it really is working for you. If I have FI on and then I turn on 4k enhancement, it doesn't tell me FI is turned off until I go back into the menu and see it greyed out.


FI most definitely works on 1080p/24 from PS3 and with 4K on. No doubt. I am 100% sure.

Make sure that you are receiving 24p from your player. See the info screen of the projector and it should say 24hz or close to that. If it says 60hz you won't be able to turn FI on. Good luck.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
gnolivos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1714 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Josuah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post
but for streaming I use the latest Amazon Fire TV (box not stick). It renders a 4k pixel count, but a color space of REC .709 regardless of whether I'm using the Netflix or Amazon Prime app. Is there a streamer out there that will get me the REC.2020? Does Netflix even offer .2020?
Netflix does offer 4K BT.2020 HDR. I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to work with the 5040 though. Maybe someone else has.
gnolivos likes this.

Josuah is offline  
post #1715 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Member
 
chiltonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi Sgranger45-love my Def techs, almost have the same ones as you except my center is a 8060 or 8080, can't remember. The fronts have enough bass kick and can be tuned on the back of them with the bass knob. I'm in the same boat having an older (only 4 yrs old) onkyo very nice receiver, no 2.2 though. That yahama 1050 looks good though. No other cables needed to proj except power. BTW, I have 25' hdmi run and have had zero problems using a logi remote one with ir receiver sitting on top of my screen running back to equipment in another room. Always have the cables ready because you'll be getting Def techs for the rear soon enough :-)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
sgranger45 likes this.
chiltonj is offline  
post #1716 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgranger45 View Post
Hi and thanks in advance for the help!

I have decided to purchase the 5040UB but realize I will need to upgrade my Yamaha amp (circa 2010) that only supports 1080P HDMI to effectively use the 4K enhancement capability of the new Epson projector.

I am new to the projector world and obviously this will be my first big 4K UHD purchase. I am coming up to speed on HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and HDR content (it's a lot of numbers and makes my brain hurt!). Coming from the IT world, I know that having the correct path through the network with each component handshaking an playing nice with it's upstream and downstream neighbor is really important.

I have been reviewing the Denon AVR-X2300W and the Yamaha RX-A1050. In addition to the Epson 5040, I will be pairing the AVR with Definitive Technology 8040ST L/R speakers, the Definitive CS8040HD center channel speaker and the Definitive 8040BP surrounds. I have a Klipsch 10 inch powered sub to throw in the mix if the DT 8040's built in ones aren't enough. I will also have cables in place to expand from 5.1. to 7.1 when appropriate (meaning I pay off all this other gear!)

Content sources are Comcast X1 Cable (yuck, I know), the new Roku Ultimate 4K streaming device (when released this month), an OTA HD antenna in attic for locals (need some type of digital receiver), and possibly a 4K DVD player.

Also, since the projector to rack is about 30 ft., I have been advised to use Cat7 cable and HDMI converters on each end. I'd like to have the ones the use PPoE so I can just power the units at the rack and not the projector for a cleaner install. I am struggling with the right devices to buy here. (I plan to run 2 HDMI cables to utilize the 5040's PiP feature for sports). Should I be running any other cables between the 5040 and the rack? LAN cable, etc.?

So I appreciate any advice or recommendations on the AV receiver or HDMI signal drivers. And of course, anything I left out too!

P.S. I settled on a 110 inch screen with a centered viewing area from about 13.5 feet away. I think (hope) that's a great size! Lots of people on this forum have a tendency to "go bigger" on the screen thing! (not judging!)

Thanks much for reading!
Because the 5040 can't accept a signal anything greater than 10.2 gbps (enough for 4k @ 24hz @ 10 bit), you don't really need to worry that much about the cable or go down the HDMI converter at your 30ft length. I'm using a 35 ft Monoprice Cabernet cable from my AVR to the PJ without any issues, and there's a decent chance that cable will also work someday when I get a projector that can accept an 18gbps signal. Monoprice says it will support 18gbps up to 50ft but you never know.

Regarding your screen size, this is something I debated for a long time and eventually went as big as my room would allow (150" 16:9 format) with the plan of masking it down if it was too big. My eyes in the front row are 13' from the screen and a 2:35 widescreen movie looks just right at that distance, very immersive but not too close. I couldn't be happier and I think I would have been disappointed if I had gone smaller. So glad the 5040 can put out enough lumens to light up a 150" screen, although my room is 100% light controlled so your mileage may very if you have to deal with sunlight. I think 110" is too small, I'd push to go at least 130" and mask it down if it's too big.

Regarding receivers, you have a ton of options and it's hard to go wrong as long as it supports HDCP 2.2 you'll be fine. The big question you need to ask yourself is whether or not to go atmos / dts:x, which will be on all those 4k UHD disks you plan to buy... it's relatively cheap to put speakers in your ceiling if you're a little handy and the extra layer of immersion is worth it in my room (I have a 7.2.4 setup and I'm loving it). Using that many speakers shorten the list of receivers though and the price increases a lot... I picked up a close-out Denon x6200w that powers 9 channels and a 60wpc 2-channel amp for $100 from parts express to power the rear ceiling speakers. The Denon has great amps with tons of power, but the cost to get 11 channels of processing is a lot higher than a normal 7.1 receiver, but if you're in the market for a $3k PJ then I'd say you should also be in the market for a full atmos setup if you want to get the most from the experience. I really believe the audio is just as, if not more, important than the video when getting the full cinema experience. And the dolby surround and DTS neural x upconverters for non-atmos blu-rays are amazing... you will enjoy all of your blu-rays (and TV) more with overhead speakers. Imagine watching a football game and it literally sounding like you're in the crowd! Good luck with all your decisions...
chiltonj and James Stephens 2 like this.
filter_sweep is offline  
post #1717 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Member
 
tklein2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Already Frustrated!

OK, as I commented earlier today, I love the picture on my 5040, especially when streaming 4K from my Amazon FireTV box. However, I wanted to take advantage of HDR, which is at least half of the benefit of 4K. So, I bought a Roku Ultimate this evening and connected it. I can not find a single title in 4k let alone HDR on the Netflix app! From the Amazon app I found plenty, but the ones that worked fine from my FireTV do NOT work on the Roku... if I get anything, it starts in 4K then I see nothing but a purple screen and maybe hear the sound track. When I look at the projector picture info, it says 4K with 709 color space. What is going on? I did get only a couple to play, but most would not. Is it my HDMI cable? Is it because the Roku player is trying to put out 4K at 60 frames per second for the newer content and the 5040 can not handle it? Please let me know, as I will take this thing back and buy the JVC in a heart beat :-( Thanks.
tklein2 is offline  
post #1718 of 17940 Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
k3nnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hi Guys,

Which media streamers/players will allow 4K HDR with netflix and amazon with the Epson 5040/6040?

Thanks,
K.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
k3nnis is offline  
post #1719 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenbizkitz View Post
Well, it seems as though the customer support for Epson in Australia isn't as good as it is in the US.



I had explained to them that I was having the issue of the annoying buzzing/whirring noise when 4K enhancement is on and that other people have got replacements that don't make the noise, so the noise isn't normal, and asked if I could get a replacement. They came back to me asking for links to where people were saying they got replacements and I sent them a few links to comments on this thread.



Now they've finally come back to me with this:







So apparently they've run some tests, and without any access to my projector, have said that the noise coming from it is within specification. To be fair, the noise is probably within the dB rating, but it's a very annoying noise that makes me want to just use 1080p content if I'm not going to be turning the volume up loud enough to drown it out.



I've considered just keeping it and dealing with the noise, but I've now had a few people comment on how loud the projector is, and that's even worse a feeling than having to put up with the noise myself. So I'm now going to attempt to return it to the store I bought it from and see how that goes. It does mean I'll be projectorless for a while if they do agree to replace it, but from what I've heard it is worth getting a replacement that doesn't have the noise.


I'd be interested to hear how you go, as I'm also in Australia and am going to purchase soon. Which model did you get and from whom?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandlj is online now  
post #1720 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Member
 
QuantumCosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumCosmos View Post
One of the devices I have connected to my 5040ub is a Windows 10 PC with a Nvidia GTX 1070. The only Nvdia display settings option at 4K when connected to the projector is at 8 bit at YCbCr420 (no RGB, YCbCr444 or 422). Is this what others are getting too? I have the PC connected via hdmi to a pioneer 924VSX receiver with HDMI 2 out connected to projector. I have the HDMI 1 out connected to my Samsung 4K TV and my Nvdia setting detected there for 4k allow me to change to RGB, YCbCr444, 222, 220, and 8,10,12 bit.
My receiver HDMI settings are at 4:4:4

What am I doing wrong? Will my current settings hurt my video performance.
Hi. Does anyone have a suggestion for this issue? I was hoping to get "RGB" color format and "full" output
dynamic range. Is there a recommended display settings for Nvdia GTX cards for this projector, including what's refersh rate I should set it too?
Thanks
QuantumCosmos is offline  
post #1721 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 04:15 AM
Member
 
QuantumCosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumCosmos View Post
Hi I have 2 Samsung 5150gb 3D glasses that's supposed to work with the 5040ub. I tried a couple of 3D movies on my PS4 but can't seems to sync the glasses. I've tried this when the projector detects a 3D source while pressing the power button on the glasses for a long time inches away from the projector, but it just blinks red and does not sync. I tried this with 2 of the same model glasses. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Just checking if anyone can help me with this? I'd like to use my Samsung 5150Gb full active 3d glasses, which are compatible with this projector, but I can't see to sync. Thanks!
QuantumCosmos is offline  
post #1722 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 04:37 AM
Member
 
morellihugo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Hi Guys,

Which media streamers/players will allow 4K HDR with netflix and amazon with the Epson 5040/6040?

Thanks,
K.
I got the new roku premiere+, the first two days I wasn't able to have HDR on Netflix, only on Amazon. But yesterday night Netflix started showing HDR content... Maybe the roku have some update overnight, or maybe I'm having issues with my internet conection... I'm using audioquest pearl HDMI cables.
morellihugo is offline  
post #1723 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 AM
Member
 
sgranger45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by filter_sweep View Post
Because the 5040 can't accept a signal anything greater than 10.2 gbps (enough for 4k @ 24hz @ 10 bit), you don't really need to worry that much about the cable or go down the HDMI converter at your 30ft length. I'm using a 35 ft Monoprice Cabernet cable from my AVR to the PJ without any issues, and there's a decent chance that cable will also work someday when I get a projector that can accept an 18gbps signal. Monoprice says it will support 18gbps up to 50ft but you never know.

Regarding your screen size, this is something I debated for a long time and eventually went as big as my room would allow (150" 16:9 format) with the plan of masking it down if it was too big. My eyes in the front row are 13' from the screen and a 2:35 widescreen movie looks just right at that distance, very immersive but not too close. I couldn't be happier and I think I would have been disappointed if I had gone smaller. So glad the 5040 can put out enough lumens to light up a 150" screen, although my room is 100% light controlled so your mileage may very if you have to deal with sunlight. I think 110" is too small, I'd push to go at least 130" and mask it down if it's too big.

Regarding receivers, you have a ton of options and it's hard to go wrong as long as it supports HDCP 2.2 you'll be fine. The big question you need to ask yourself is whether or not to go atmos / dts:x, which will be on all those 4k UHD disks you plan to buy... it's relatively cheap to put speakers in your ceiling if you're a little handy and the extra layer of immersion is worth it in my room (I have a 7.2.4 setup and I'm loving it). Using that many speakers shorten the list of receivers though and the price increases a lot... I picked up a close-out Denon x6200w that powers 9 channels and a 60wpc 2-channel amp for $100 from parts express to power the rear ceiling speakers. The Denon has great amps with tons of power, but the cost to get 11 channels of processing is a lot higher than a normal 7.1 receiver, but if you're in the market for a $3k PJ then I'd say you should also be in the market for a full atmos setup if you want to get the most from the experience. I really believe the audio is just as, if not more, important than the video when getting the full cinema experience. And the dolby surround and DTS neural x upconverters for non-atmos blu-rays are amazing... you will enjoy all of your blu-rays (and TV) more with overhead speakers. Imagine watching a football game and it literally sounding like you're in the crowd! Good luck with all your decisions...
Thanks filter_sweep! Thanks for making my decision even harder! (JK - i really do appreciate the info.) Regarding the screen, I have a 120" screen masked off as a tape box on the wall right now. Of course, coming from the world of 55-60" LCD's, it looks massive! I will get used to it (in a good way).

I am a big fan of closeout and used gear if I can see it and trust it. I just picked up the entire Definitive Tech speaker setup to $800. They are all basically brand new (a rich guy had them in his second house here in Atlanta, GA that he never used. He was selling the house and had them packed away in a public storage warehouse). Do you have suggested sites to look for closeout items? What are your thoughts about reforms? I know the warranty is shorter but for a 30-50% discount, it might be worth it. I am assuming I can use my existing Yamaha amp to power something!? I hate that it's such a clean powerful amp and it's just the video switching that ages out so fast (and the audio decode obviously). I wish the industry developed so that the video and audio encoding were separate devices and we stuck to good old fashioned power amps. I know you can do this but it's either expensive or inconvienient.

The one thing I seem to discount a lot on the amps is all the 3rd party integrations like Pandora, Spotify, etc. I have SONOS zones everywhere in my house and I use this for all my streaming music. I know that there are apps coming out that allow you to set custom EQ's but the amp has to support the app.

So many choices!!
sgranger45 is offline  
post #1724 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gnolivos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OHIO, USA
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Wrong thread again. Stay on topic please.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
gnolivos is offline  
post #1725 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
k3nnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by morellihugo View Post
I got the new roku premiere+, the first two days I wasn't able to have HDR on Netflix, only on Amazon. But yesterday night Netflix started showing HDR content... Maybe the roku have some update overnight, or maybe I'm having issues with my internet conection... I'm using audioquest pearl HDMI cables.


Is the Epson reporting 4K HDR 10bit with Netflix? And is it 24p?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k3nnis is offline  
post #1726 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 AM
Member
 
morellihugo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Is the Epson reporting 4K HDR 10bit with Netflix? And is it 24p?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, my 5040 is reporting 4K 8 Bit HDR 2 4:2:0 BT2020, 60hz
morellihugo is offline  
post #1727 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
wbcollegekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post
OK, as I commented earlier today, I love the picture on my 5040, especially when streaming 4K from my Amazon FireTV box. However, I wanted to take advantage of HDR, which is at least half of the benefit of 4K. So, I bought a Roku Ultimate this evening and connected it. I can not find a single title in 4k let alone HDR on the Netflix app! From the Amazon app I found plenty, but the ones that worked fine from my FireTV do NOT work on the Roku... if I get anything, it starts in 4K then I see nothing but a purple screen and maybe hear the sound track. When I look at the projector picture info, it says 4K with 709 color space. What is going on? I did get only a couple to play, but most would not. Is it my HDMI cable? Is it because the Roku player is trying to put out 4K at 60 frames per second for the newer content and the 5040 can not handle it? Please let me know, as I will take this thing back and buy the JVC in a heart beat :-( Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morellihugo View Post
I got the new roku premiere+, the first two days I wasn't able to have HDR on Netflix, only on Amazon. But yesterday night Netflix started showing HDR content... Maybe the roku have some update overnight, or maybe I'm having issues with my internet conection... I'm using audioquest pearl HDMI cables.
I bought the Roku Ultra yesterday and it is doing HDR. Remember not all shows are HDR. It will say so if it is. It appears that those shows are 60fps. For some reason I believe the netflix app is then disabling the 4K (reducing to 1080P) in order to display HDR. The color is 8 bit which does produce banding unfortunately. The picture is still very nice and obviously in HDR.

Amazon app has the shows at 24fps at 4K with HDR, but with 8 bit as did Netflix. Both have BT. 2020, which can't be reproduced by our projector.

Lastly, I had to have the Roku connected directly to my projector and not through my AVR to get HDR out of Netflix and amazon. I don't have to do this to with my Phillips UHD player to get HDR with UHD bluray.

Epson Home Cinema 5040, Yamaha Aventage 3050, Phillips BDP-7501, PlayStation 4, Energy Connoisseur Series 7.1.
wbcollegekid is offline  
post #1728 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Member
 
rjguk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcollegekid View Post

Lastly, I had to have the Roku connected directly to my projector and not through my AVR to get HDR out of Netflix and amazon. I don't have to do this to with my Phillips UHD player to get HDR with UHD bluray.
If you haven't already done it then you could try changing the 4K mode on the Yamaha to mode 1 rather than the default 2.

4K Mode: Select the format of signals input/output at the unit when HDMI 4K (60 Hz/50Hz) compatible TV and playback device are connected to the unit.

MODE 1: Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format. (4:2:0 format only for VIDEO AUX [HDMI IN] jack)

When "MODE 1" is selected, use a high-speed HDMI cable that supports 18 Gbps

Depending on the connected devices or HDMI cables, videos may not be displayed correctly.
In this case, select "MODE 2".

MODE 2 Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:2:0 format
gnolivos likes this.
rjguk is online now  
post #1729 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
wbcollegekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
If you haven't already done it then you could try changing the 4K mode on the Yamaha to mode 1 rather than the default 2.

4K Mode: Select the format of signals input/output at the unit when HDMI 4K (60 Hz/50Hz) compatible TV and playback device are connected to the unit.

MODE 1: Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format. (4:2:0 format only for VIDEO AUX [HDMI IN] jack)

When "MODE 1" is selected, use a high-speed HDMI cable that supports 18 Gbps

Depending on the connected devices or HDMI cables, videos may not be displayed correctly.
In this case, select "MODE 2".

MODE 2 Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:2:0 format
I have Mode 1 selected. Like I said, my Phillips UHD bluray player is working correctly with UHD bluray while connected to my AVR. Neflix app with Phillips still does not work regardless.

Epson Home Cinema 5040, Yamaha Aventage 3050, Phillips BDP-7501, PlayStation 4, Energy Connoisseur Series 7.1.
wbcollegekid is offline  
post #1730 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Member
 
tklein2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I Need Answers (XBOX One S & Firmware)

I know there are issues with the XBOX One S and our projector. Can someone list them please. Can you currently stream Netflix and Amazon 4K content today or is everyone waiting for a fix from MS or Epson or both?

I've read where some people outside the US are updating their firmware on their equivalent Epson projectors? I looked on Epson's website and found nothing.

Thanks!
tklein2 is offline  
post #1731 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Kelvin1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Wrong thread again. Stay on topic please.

How's it going with your 24p issue research?

I have heard some similar issues from the JVC camp and I am wondering if it has something to don with the pixel-shift processing of these fauxK breed of projectors...
Kelvin1000 is online now  
post #1732 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumCosmos View Post
Hi. Does anyone have a suggestion for this issue? I was hoping to get "RGB" color format and "full" output
dynamic range. Is there a recommended display settings for Nvdia GTX cards for this projector, including what's refersh rate I should set it too?
Thanks
24 or 30fps, 12-bit & 4:4:4 should work just fine

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #1733 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Member
 
QuantumCosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
24 or 30fps, 12-bit & 4:4:4 should work just fine
thanks!
QuantumCosmos is offline  
post #1734 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by filter_sweep View Post
The following is a copy / paste from the Projector Reviews review of the pre-production 6040:

"One important note: CFI does not work when pixel shifting is engaged, so there is a bit of an additional trade-off to consider – stick to standard 1080p/1080i when using it, or go for the extra detail using pixel shifting on 1080 or 4K content."

I now remember having read this when it was first published, which is why I suppose I never expected 4k enhancement and FI to work at the same time, regardless of content. You may want to double check to see if it really is working for you. If I have FI on and then I turn on 4k enhancement, it doesn't tell me FI is turned off until I go back into the menu and see it greyed out.
I can confirm that the FI option IS AVAILABLE while running 4k enhancement AS LONG AS the frame rate is set to the 24fps that is used by BluRay DVDs. The only time FI is not available (as described above) is when one is running the signalling at the higher 60Hz frame rates. In those cases, FI is greyed out as described in the review quoted above.
gnolivos likes this.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
ndabunka is offline  
post #1735 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gnolivos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OHIO, USA
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
How's it going with your 24p issue research?

I have heard some similar issues from the JVC camp and I am wondering if it has something to don with the pixel-shift processing of these fauxK breed of projectors...


I'm still researching and testing. I am also very confused, and here is why: I tested some of the scenes and movies that more clearly show the 'issue', but on my living room HDTV (which I never ever use), using a different bluray player etc. Well, I see more of the same issues there.

Where I do NOT see the issue is on my old projector Sanyo Z2000. Begs the question, perhaps this is normal motion for 24p, but my old projector was somehow smoothing it out? It's an old model with no Frame Interpolation, so that's pure speculation on my part.

I don't remember being troubled by 24p content on my 2 other older projectors, but then again those were used to play DVDs back in the day, and I'm not sure that's even a fair comparison in terms of frame rate, etc. I've had both DLP and LCD.
shepdog likes this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
gnolivos is offline  
post #1736 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
move on please

posts deleted
ndabunka, chiltonj and morellihugo like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #1737 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,133
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12259 Post(s)
Liked: 9857
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post
I too was unaware the 5040 did not (itself) support aspect ratio, especially since there is a dedicated button on the remote. It's no biggie for me, as both my blu ray player and Denon AVR will do this and I can still use my anamorphic lens.
It will be a biggie, if trying to watch 4K BD, since I doubt your AVR can do vertical stretch of 4K content. I know that your BD player can't.
shepdog likes this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1738 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
Looks like it's an issue with the Netflix app. Here is Man In The High Castle running in UHD HDR on the Amazon App.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
You sure those stats are correct? It shows BT.2020 color and 8-bit color, and yet according to wikipedia:
Rec. 2020 defines a bit depth of either 10-bits per sample or 12-bits per sample

Last edited by Viche; 10-12-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Viche is offline  
post #1739 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,133
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12259 Post(s)
Liked: 9857
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenbizkitz View Post
Well, it seems as though the customer support for Epson in Australia isn't as good as it is in the US.

I had explained to them that I was having the issue of the annoying buzzing/whirring noise when 4K enhancement is on and that other people have got replacements that don't make the noise, so the noise isn't normal, and asked if I could get a replacement. They came back to me asking for links to where people were saying they got replacements and I sent them a few links to comments on this thread.

Now they've finally come back to me with this:



So apparently they've run some tests, and without any access to my projector, have said that the noise coming from it is within specification. To be fair, the noise is probably within the dB rating, but it's a very annoying noise that makes me want to just use 1080p content if I'm not going to be turning the volume up loud enough to drown it out.

I've considered just keeping it and dealing with the noise, but I've now had a few people comment on how loud the projector is, and that's even worse a feeling than having to put up with the noise myself. So I'm now going to attempt to return it to the store I bought it from and see how that goes. It does mean I'll be projectorless for a while if they do agree to replace it, but from what I've heard it is worth getting a replacement that doesn't have the noise.
I don't think any of the 5040's are noiseless when 4K enhancement is on. How loud the noise is and at what pitch it is may vary, so that some people can't hear it. I think that is why you are getting some people reporting that they do not hear anything and yet others report hearing a noise. And then there are the few that have a projector that makes a lot of noise. Those are the ones that should be exchanged. When you call them and say yours makes noise and you want a silent one, then they can't accommodate you.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1740 of 17940 Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
rupedogg24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington, DC.
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
You sure those stats are correct? It shows BT.2020 color and 8-but color, and yet according to wikipedia:
Rec. 2020 defines a bit depth of either 10-bits per sample or 12-bits per sample
I have no way of really Testing that to be honest. That information is coming straight from the epson itself. So i'm assuming that it's true.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
shepdog likes this.

Projector: Epson 5040ub DIY 140" Acoustic Screen
AVR: Onkyo RZ1100 (Main)
Blu-ray: PS4 -- Panasonic UB900
Speakers: 5.2.4 Atmos Sound System
Subwoofers: Dual Marty Cubes w/SI 18" - DIY Build w/SI 15"
rupedogg24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off