Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 584 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26884Likes

post #17491 of 17660 Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Along with the power supply failures..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm being facetious of course!

Many of my previous posts in this thread have echoed your same sentiments. Epson has never formally acknowledged any of the consumer issues related to this particular product. It appears that the corporate position for product remedy is play "exchange roulette" until the customer stops complaining. I initally thought this was a cultural thing rather than corporate. However, Onkyo had HDMI failure issues years ago, acknowledged the problem, put a remedy procedure in place, and even extended warranties. In today's world marketplace, full transparency is becoming the norm.'' i.e. automotive industry. Epson ain't there yet!

Specifically to your current issue, my 5040 has "periodically" acted similarly at start up...whirling jet engine as I call it. I've contacted Epson support at various levels and received no plausible answer for this behavior. I recall some posters saying this also occurred with earlier Epson models as well. In any event, this behavior passes and the PJ has performed normally afterward for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Mystery indeed! As I've posted several times over the past two years, my inquiries with Epson's product support at various levels did not yield a plausible answer...not even an implausible one. I wouldn't even consider this to be a "feature" or even normal operation as the behavior is inconsistent/unpredictable. Logic suggests that cooling of the lamp occurs at shut down (like all my previous brand PJ's I've owned) not at start up. This PJ exhibits just the opposite...why cool a cool lamp? Only speculation on my part but as this has been reported to also occur in previous Epson models, it's possible that the original design "flaw in logic" was never corrected and carried forward. In any case, other than this odd fan behavior, my 5040 has been performing flawlessly for 2.5 years now. My primary pet peeve with Epson is and has been its lack of transparency from their corporate leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstroke View Post
Well, I purchased my unit new, so maybe I'd have better luck requesting a retail unit. As to why the refurbs keep coming back with issues...it's anyone's guess. I don't see how scratches could appear on the lens once it is packaged up, but dust could definitely get in there. Did you ask about at least taping the lens mechanism closed before shipping out? I've used my projector once every day for the holiday weekend, and it had the lamp strike issue once. I'm going to stick with this one unless it either starts having more issues, or dies completely.
Does anyone at avsforum have a good connection at Epson, so we could get a straight answer about this lamp issue?
My efforts to reach a resource at Epson for an explanation of this peculiar lamp/fan behavior to date have been unsuccessful. Each level of support I've contacted up to and including "advanced technical support" was unable to explain the anomaly. Either these resources truly don't know or it's Epson's corporate policy/culture to not discuss these matters with consumers. In any case, good luck in your pursuit for answers.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 05-29-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17492 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello,
Can anyone tell me the screw size needed to attach a ceiling mount to the projector. I looked through the online owners manual but could not find the spec. Getting the projector on Thursday and would like to have them before the projector arrives. Thanks.
post #17493 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
I believe this is common to all projectors of the LCD display type. Only DLP has sealed light paths; if I'm not mistaken.

Sony 4K LCoS projectors have sealed light paths. They also only blow the fan on high upon cutoff, like logic would assume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17494 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbail804 View Post
Hello,
Can anyone tell me the screw size needed to attach a ceiling mount to the projector. I looked through the online owners manual but could not find the spec. Getting the projector on Thursday and would like to have them before the projector arrives. Thanks.
M4 x 10mm is what I used. The Epsons generally use the M4 bolt size. Most ceiling mounts usually come with an assortment of bolt sizes.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #17495 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
M4 x 10mm is what I used. The Epsons generally use the M4 bolt size. Most ceiling mounts usually come with an assortment of bolt sizes.
Thanks. I am reusing a mount and did not keep any of the spare hardware. I just wanted to make sure I had the right ones. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #17496 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Can the 5040 play content at 60fps?

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #17497 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes,

I'm playing refurb roulette with Epson 5040UB's right now. Epson assures the customer the refurbs have to pass quality control before they are sent out and are as good as new, but that hasn't been my experience. So either I'm unlucky (possible and typical even ) or they really aren't quality checking these refurbs.

Original refurb purchased direct from Espon.com in April had pink hues on the top right corner out of the box - serial number X334691747L
Post 142 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post57917498

1st refurb RMA replacement had six dust blobs fresh out of the box on power up. I didn't even hook it up, I just boxed it back up and sent it back to Epson - serial number - X334710215L
Post 154 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post57956298

2nd refurb RMA replacement had one dust blob that showed up within 10 hours of use. I sent it back - serial number X334770088L
Post 259 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58059276

3rd refurb RMA replacement had pink hue on the right side of the screen immediatey out of box. I'm working on sending it back now - serial number X334680597L
Post - 301 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58086802

I'd almost decided to just live with some of these defects, but then thought Epson's motto is to exceed expectations, and they say that these refurbs should be just like a new model - so I'm going to hold them to it. I'll keep switching these things out till the cows come home. They are paying for shipping, while I'm surely wasting my time, but at this point, I'm going to be stubborn. I'm also going to increasingly propagate my dissatisfaction to the various forums I frequent, and facebook, etc, if they don't get this turned around. Customer service is typically very nice, but just shuffling around B-Stock projectors isn't going to fly without consequence. I wrote their customer service a long e-mail and linked to these pictures/posts last night. Maybe that'll get this turned around.
YIKES! Ok, now I know what 'Dust Blobs' look like. No probs with my 5040ub so far. Been what? 3 years now?

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro
post #17498 of 17660 Old 05-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Has anyone had an issue with the Auto Iris not working when the projector is set to Natural color mode?
post #17499 of 17660 Old 05-31-2019, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Can the 5040 play content at 60fps?
For 1080p, it will no problem. At 4K it is limited to 4:2:0 8-bit color @ 60fps. So the answer is maybe, depending on the output from your source. The very 1st entry on this thread gives a more in depth explanation.
post #17500 of 17660 Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here's a rundown of what's been going on with my 5040 that I purchased in late April as an open-box from Best Buy.

Shortly after getting the projector, I had the following issues in this order:

1. Switching between my HDR and SDR settings would take a long time, after which I would see an error message about the cinema filter and the image would be colored incorrectly. Resetting fixed the issue.

2. Switching between my settings would cause the projector to make a lot of iris/motor noise, then it would shut the lens cover, spin the fans really loudly, and blink its lights. Resetting fixed the issue. Looking up the light pattern on Epson's support site indicated this to be a sympton of an auto-iris issue

3. Eventually the unit experience issue 2 and refused to come back on when reset. It would open the lens and attempt to boot, but then it would go right back to spinning the fans and blinking the lights.

I sent the unit into Epson after issue 3. They required this instead of a cross-ship refurb because it was a demo unit. I was fine with this and Epson was able to turn the repair around in less than a week from the day I shipped it. When I received the projector back it came with a piece of paper from the repair center that listed the repair as a main board replacement. This seemed odd to me, as I would assume an auto-iris problem would necessitate some kind of motor replacement.

After a week with the supposedly repaired 5040, it started having issue 2 again. Has anyone else experience this problem?
post #17501 of 17660 Old 06-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Help! I’ve had my 5040 for almost 2 years now. 1800+ lamp hrs. No issues before. But lately I’ve been getting this “HDMI no signal” error (or “performing wireless HD connection”) while watching, screen is black, no matter the source (Apple TV streaming, game, or bluray player). Sometimes, picture will just come back on after a few seconds, but sometimes I haves to turn the PJ, Apple TV, bluray player, or the receiver on/off multiple times before the picture comes back on. Any ideas? Is this the PJ or maybe the HDMI?

my JS8500 movie calibration settings as of 8/8/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post34495410
my JS8500 standard calibration settings as of 6/18/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35124130
post #17502 of 17660 Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prme19 View Post
Help! I’ve had my 5040 for almost 2 years now. 1800+ lamp hrs. No issues before. But lately I’ve been getting this “HDMI no signal” error (or “performing wireless HD connection”) while watching, screen is black, no matter the source (Apple TV streaming, game, or bluray player). Sometimes, picture will just come back on after a few seconds, but sometimes I haves to turn the PJ, Apple TV, bluray player, or the receiver on/off multiple times before the picture comes back on. Any ideas? Is this the PJ or maybe the HDMI?
I have a similar experience if the DVD player turns on before the audio receiver. I had to re-program my macro setup to overcome this phenomenon.
post #17503 of 17660 Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Mine did something similar before the HDMI 1 port failed entirely, and I had to get a refurb. Do you get the same behavior on HDMI 2?
post #17504 of 17660 Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut View Post
I have a similar experience if the DVD player turns on before the audio receiver. I had to re-program my macro setup to overcome this phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
Mine did something similar before the HDMI 1 port failed entirely, and I had to get a refurb. Do you get the same behavior on HDMI 2?
Thanks for the reply. Im gonna check these out. I don’t use Logitech remotes (although I have a harmony one). So, i turn these devices on individually. I’ll do a test tonight. I will also try the HDMI 2 port to see if the problem still occurs.

my JS8500 movie calibration settings as of 8/8/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post34495410
my JS8500 standard calibration settings as of 6/18/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35124130
post #17505 of 17660 Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just felt like having a chat, so I called the Advanced Epson Support Team located in Long Beach. No reason, just a chat. I have not had any problems with my own projector. I just wanted to know what kind of feedback I would get if I called. My experience talking with the support member today was actually very enlightening. Makes me appreciate what I am getting when I buy from Epson. Great customer service. The discussion I had today mostly revolved around the known and addressed power supply failures, and not about the other various problems that fewer people have mentioned previously.

I was told not to worry about my 2 years old projector. I was told if anything would happen, it would most likely be in the the first year, as most failed units failed early in ownership. I was informed that, case by case, my projector would be covered under any circumstance requiring a repair for at least one additional year beyond the 2 year that came with it. Now mind you that this is not in writing, but it does leave me with a good feeling to have now. My projector has been, and is currently up for sale, as I thought it would be best to move forward, but I am second guessing my decision to sell after today's chat. I am actually very happy with my Epson 5040UB. The representative actually told me to just keep my 5040UB unless I need 4k 60Hz, more lumins, and a better HDR experience. I pretty much do not game, 90% movies, 95% blu-rays.

So a summary of issues addressed by the advanced team today were...

-up to 3 years of warranty service for those who own a unit that qualifies for a warranty.
-shipping is covered

-confirmed the known failure of power supply units were random, and not a batch, so any manufactured before the issue had been corrected is subject for failure.
-failures most likely occur early in the ownership period, so if you have an older unit that is functioning without issue, you most likely have a good unit that will provide many more years of enjoyment without any repairs necessary.
-every users experience differs, and that is why support is a case by case situation.

-there are actually 3 separate inventories of the 5040UB at Epson
1)new stock
2)replacement units in the warranty department
3)refurbished units on the Epson .com store (1 or 2 units per day)
-no idea how Epson chooses which units are refurbs for sale, and which are for replacement stock

-The support team has a member, who I spoke with today, that actually is responsible for feedback on specific retailers customer reviews pages. The support team really does care, and may actually go beyond their duty to make a customer satisfied.

-If you do call support, this expression will apply to you directly, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".
--Sclaws likes this.
post #17506 of 17660 Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314carpenter View Post
I just felt like having a chat, so I called the Advanced Epson Support Team located in Long Beach. No reason, just a chat. I have not had any problems with my own projector. I just wanted to know what kind of feedback I would get if I called. My experience talking with the support member today was actually very enlightening. Makes me appreciate what I am getting when I buy from Epson. Great customer service. The discussion I had today mostly revolved around the known and addressed power supply failures, and not about the other various problems that fewer people have mentioned previously.

I was told not to worry about my 2 years old projector. I was told if anything would happen, it would most likely be in the the first year, as most failed units failed early in ownership. I was informed that, case by case, my projector would be covered under any circumstance requiring a repair for at least one additional year beyond the 2 year that came with it. Now mind you that this is not in writing, but it does leave me with a good feeling to have now. My projector has been, and is currently up for sale, as I thought it would be best to move forward, but I am second guessing my decision to sell after today's chat. I am actually very happy with my Epson 5040UB. The representative actually told me to just keep my 5040UB unless I need 4k 60Hz, more lumins, and a better HDR experience. I pretty much do not game, 90% movies, 95% blu-rays.

So a summary of issues addressed by the advanced team today were...

-up to 3 years of warranty service for those who own a unit that qualifies for a warranty.
-shipping is covered

-confirmed the known failure of power supply units were random, and not a batch, so any manufactured before the issue had been corrected is subject for failure.
-failures most likely occur early in the ownership period, so if you have an older unit that is functioning without issue, you most likely have a good unit that will provide many more years of enjoyment without any repairs necessary.
-every users experience differs, and that is why support is a case by case situation.

-there are actually 3 separate inventories of the 5040UB at Epson
1)new stock
2)replacement units in the warranty department
3)refurbished units on the Epson .com store (1 or 2 units per day)
-no idea how Epson chooses which units are refurbs for sale, and which are for replacement stock

-The support team has a member, who I spoke with today, that actually is responsible for feedback on specific retailers customer reviews pages. The support team really does care, and may actually go beyond their duty to make a customer satisfied.

-If you do call support, this expression will apply to you directly, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".
Your effort is appreciated...thanks!

You've actually had the same experience I did about a year ago...same "honey approach"...same response from a caring and responsive "advanced" support member. I too am a two year+ owner of a 5040 w/o issue. My criticism of Epson is, however, not their customer support policy or caring and responsible support teams. My concern is this information is a "pull" and not a "push." The leadership in today's leading, responsible, and transparent organizations do publicly acknowledge product issues and publish written remedies...i.e. Onkyo, automotives, etc. Although commendable, it’s not the purview or responsibility of organizational subordinates to do so.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 06-05-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typo
post #17507 of 17660 Old 06-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
Same thing happened to my 6040. I got a refurb also. That was a year ago. So far no issues with that one.
post #17508 of 17660 Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Epson 5040UB New Install Questions

Thanks all in advance, So I replaced my BenQ 1080P projector last night with E5040UB 4K.

I had to change a 4K pass through setting using a "secret advanced menu" on my Yamaha receiver, which actually was painless and worked instantly. For what its worth I am NOT using keystone, I only used lens shift to fit my screen as best as I could. Now here are my questions

The Projector seems to have a black screen showing no input, although I can hear the audio. This is mostly from only 20min of testing with my Xbox One X. It will eventually pop up the video and then work for a moment, and then go back to just audio. and repeat. Not sure why but I feel maybe I need a better HDMI cable either from Xbox to Receiver or from Receiver to Epson?

I notice now there is a blurry or fuzzy interference of some type, its like red and green dot SNOW effect? Perhaps the same problem as above and maybe why its acting so strange with video in and out?

Sorry if that is not helpful. Thanks again for any guidance.
post #17509 of 17660 Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 3373
I would definitely upgrade your HDMI cables to the latest 2.0 spec that supports 18 Gbps and see if that works (HDMI 2.1 is likely overkill for most); nothing fancy required, anything in the $30-50 range should work. Get an active cable for longer runs over 50’ if needed to boost the signal.

I had this problem just going from an Epson 2150 to the 3700, and neither of those are 4K. I had an older inexpensive 50’ HDMI run from my receiver to the PJ that worked for one but not the other; over short runs most HDMI cables made in the last few years will work fine regardless of bandwidth requirements, but if you have cut outs in the video this should hopefully do the trick.
old corps and monkaquinas like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #17510 of 17660 Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
5040ub new install issue

Hi,

I just bought and had someone ceiling mount the Epson 5040ub. It is projecting on a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen which is 12.5" from the ceiling, the lens is 12.5ft away and it's 16" from the ceiling. The install guy had to tile the projector slightly, and then applied -16 keystone, but now while the screen is filled left to right, there's a gap on the top and bottom of the screen with no video of 1-2".

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Install guy didn't know.

Thanks everybody!
Jonathan
post #17511 of 17660 Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl9184 View Post
Hi,

I just bought and had someone ceiling mount the Epson 5040ub. It is projecting on a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen which is 12.5" from the ceiling, the lens is 12.5ft away and it's 16" from the ceiling. The install guy had to tile the projector slightly, and then applied -16 keystone, but now while the screen is filled left to right, there's a gap on the top and bottom of the screen with no video of 1-2".

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Install guy didn't know.

Thanks everybody!

Jonathan
You definitely don't want keystone correction if can avoid it. What kind of mount is it

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #17512 of 17660 Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonstertruk View Post
You definitely don't want keystone correction if can avoid it. What kind of mount is it

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Chief RPMAU mount. To not use keystone correction, would have to put the projector really low, somebody tall could then bump it with their head.
Thanks for your help!
Jonathan
post #17513 of 17660 Old 06-10-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

You should not have to keystone.

You need to use lens shift. Can you take a picture of your room projector and mounting setup.

Your projector also should not be tilted. It should be level so the lens is parallel to the screen.

Frankly it sounds like your installer didn’t know what he was doing.

Have him come back and level the projector

The use the menu system and the remote to apply lens shift under the focus menu to lower the projector image.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #17514 of 17660 Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Mine does this occasionaly but I also run an HD Fury. I just switch the source to something and back and it works, must just be a handshake issue.

7.2.4|Klipsch RP-280F|RC-64III|2 RP-402S SL/SR|2 RP-402S Backs|4 SVS Elevations ATMOS|2 Klipsch R-115SW|SANUS CFR2136 Rack|2 AC Infinity Cloudplate T2|Marantz SR7013|Emotiva XPA-7 GEN 3|Outlaw Model 5000|Panamax M-5300-PM|Monster HTS 3600|Epson 5040UB|Logitech Harmony ELITE|NVIDIA Shield PRO|Xbox One X|Sony PS4|HTPC I7 KODI|
post #17515 of 17660 Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
You should not have to keystone.

You need to use lens shift. Can you take a picture of your room projector and mounting setup.

Your projector also should not be tilted. It should be level so the lens is parallel to the screen.

Frankly it sounds like your installer didn’t know what he was doing.

Have him come back and level the projector

The use the menu system and the remote to apply lens shift under the focus menu to lower the projector image.
Thanks for the reply! I did what you suggested and it worked!
Archaea likes this.
post #17516 of 17660 Old 06-11-2019, 07:15 PM

How do you get 10 bit in Windows 10? (1080ti nvidia card)

I think I've read this projector is 10bit, but I only see 8 or 12 as my options.

It automatically recognizes my Denon x7200wa processor, but apparently doesn't see the Epson 5040UB behind it.

Also, do you guys chose RGB or the YCbCr444?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8bit or 12 bit.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	2578962  
WynsWrld98 likes this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #17517 of 17660 Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Par for the course. You just have to keep sending them back. I had 4 refurb replacements, and a fifth new, all of which had something wrong with them. Yes, Epson is fast on turnaround for defective units, but they're replacing crap with crap.

Thanks. I just saw epson.com has 5040ub in stock and just did a replacement.
post #17518 of 17660 Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Why do they do this??? They aren’t even fast about replacing them anymore. Gone is overnight shipping. Worse yet is they have none in stock to replace. You have to catch a refurb in stock in order to replace it. Otherwise they just offer you a refund. That means I’m trying to watch the for sale page as often, and in competition with anyone else trying to buy one. P.S. lthey only last minutes in stock, and they seem to come into stock just a couple times a week. I’ve got multiple alerting systems setup for in stock notification so I can try to catch the time to call in for RMA. They inexplicably will NOT hold a unit for you for RMA anymore. My third one is going back now. This is NOT good customer service, nor is it a pleasant buying experience. This will be my last Epson, unless they significantly change in the future.

1st refurb Epson - purchased early April, pink discoloration in top right corner. It also has two minor dust blobs, but I was figuring I could live with them. They were relatively faint.

2nd refurb Epson RMA replacement - six dust blobs on black image straight out of box - terrible. Boxed it back up immediately, no way I’m keeping that.

3rd refurb Epson RMA replacement - thought was good. 10 hours in a single bright dust blob appears in top right. Where did that come from? It’s going back. Dust blobs are luckily covered under warranty, but now I’ve got concerns that these 5040UBs are just a problem waiting to happen with future dust blobs popping up and ruining the experience when the projector falls out of warranty in 2 years. I have a blacked out theater room. Bright dust blobs are unacceptable to me as a projector owner.

Did you get a good unit? They just have more instock so I did a replacement.
Archaea likes this.
post #17519 of 17660 Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran1981 View Post
Did you get a good unit? They just have more instock so I did a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up, but my 5th unit I received recently is solid. I hope you have good fortune too on your next exchange. I updated and hopefully concluded my refurb roulette saga in the deal thread here in post 355:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58152566

post #17520 of 17660 Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joining the Party Late!

I jumped on the Epson refurbished deal on the 5040 this morning. Before this came up, I was considering a 5050 or even the JVC X790R. I had a hard time justifying the additional $2700 for the JVC especially coming from a circa 2007-2008 Sony HD Projector. Thanks for the heads up on the refurb roulette. I will have to keep a detailed eye out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page