Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 593 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26949Likes

post #17761 of 18054 Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
I bought the Expand 3D glasses based on the great reviews. The 3D is horrible. With the Epson glasses yours now looks correct??
Give the 3DTV Corp Lightest RF/Bluetooth Rechargeable 3D Glasses for 3D Epson projectors a try. I recently posted my review on Amazon comparing them to the ValueView 3D glasses. For $26 they were worth a try, you can always return if you are not happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
mudfrog likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17762 of 18054 Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
I bought the Expand 3D glasses based on the great reviews. The 3D is horrible. With the Epson glasses yours now looks correct??
Well, I might've spoken too soon. But it's good news, bad news. Bad news is I did see plenty of cross talk with some other movies (particularly Legend of the Guardians); good news is that I think that was mostly because my media player had depth bumped up to 2+. Once I lowered it down to zero, it seemed to be nice and clean again.
post #17763 of 18054 Old 08-01-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Give the 3DTV Corp Lightest RF/Bluetooth Rechargeable 3D Glasses for 3D Epson projectors a try. I recently posted my review on Amazon comparing them to the ValueView 3D glasses. For $26 they were worth a try, you can always return if you are not happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

I will take a look at those for my family. They occasionally watch something in 3D with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Well, I might've spoken too soon. But it's good news, bad news. Bad news is I did see plenty of cross talk with some other movies (particularly Legend of the Guardians); good news is that I think that was mostly because my media player had depth bumped up to 2+. Once I lowered it down to zero, it seemed to be nice and clean again.

I ordered a pair of Epson glasses. They were $79 on Amazon. If they do not make a difference, I'm going to send them back. I'll go ahead and send my Xpand's back also, no matter what settings I changed, they had horrible crosstalk in the background.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - Epson 5040UB - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield 4K - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, Micca R-8C (Atmos)
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 1050ti 4GB, 12TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17764 of 18054 Old 08-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,

For the Shield owners. Is it still pretty crappy on this projector with all the menu lagging when setting it to 24Hz?
post #17765 of 18054 Old 08-02-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
so I’ve been using SDR 4K 60hz lately and super happy with how it looks. Tomb Raider is amazing setting this close in full screen!!
Quick question, if I wasn't fussed about HDR, with this projector could you run movies and games in 4k at 60Hz no problem? Or will it depend on the device? Mainly thinking of the Nvidia Shield and Xbox One X. Would those devices automatically change to 1080p HDR? Or can you force both of them to run at 4k 60Hz without having to use a linker?
post #17766 of 18054 Old 08-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 160
You cannot send 4K, 10bit at 60Hz to these projectors, the HDMI chip set in not capable of processing this signal due to bandwidth limitations

I dont use my Epson for gaming so I cant say but I know with the Shield you can just select 1080p, 10bit & 60Hz. This is the easiest way to get round the bandwidth limitation with next to no penalty.

I cannot tell any different between 4K & 1080p on these projectors, after all they have 1080p panels & are upscaling to 4K even when being fed with a 4K signal so its not surprising.

You are going to notice the difference between 24Hz & 60Hz much more with content what was recorded at 60Hz & then playing it back at 24Hz or even 30Hz.

I am sure some devices & apps will have issues sending HDR content at 1080p, 60Hz but the HD fury devices can overcome this issue.
post #17767 of 18054 Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
You cannot send 4K, 10bit at 60Hz to these projectors, the HDMI chip set in not capable of processing this signal due to bandwidth limitations
Sorry I don't follow, this FAQ here states 4k at 60Hz is available:

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_V11H713020...at=faq-topFaqs

Also SBuger stated he runs his Xbox One X in this config.
post #17768 of 18054 Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Sorry I don't follow, this FAQ here states 4k at 60Hz is available:

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_V11H713020...at=faq-topFaqs

Also SBuger stated he runs his Xbox One X in this config.
Yes you can send 4K @ 60Hz but not in HDR as the chip set cant handle the bandwidth required to do this. This is what most people struggle with. It was probably a little misleading as I used 10-bit which is mainly used for HDR content, most SDR content is 8-bit.

If you drop the 4K for 1080p enough bandwidth is made available for HDR @ 60Hz.

Alternatively yes you can drop HDR & run in SDR at 4K @60Hz if you device will let you do so.

With many devices you are unable to manually select with such control, like asking for a specific color bit depth what the devices outputs as it is set automatically by the EDID that the display sends to the source.
post #17769 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 4023
Ok guys, I posted some images a couple days ago with settings that I was really pleased with. I had messed around with some of the HarperVision and Oledurt settings for kind of a Hybird of the two settings trying to get and nice bright setting that popped in ECO mode, as I hate running the Lamp in High. Just too noisy and too much heat for my liking. What I posted the other day I was really happy with, but I like the image even better now. In fact I'm just absolutely stunned and blown away by the image this 5040 is giving with these somewhat mod'ed HarperVision settings!!!! Seriously, I don't think I could be happier with the image. I checked it out on quite a few 4K HDR movies tonight and was just thrilled. Looked great on everything I tried it on. The image is just what I was looking for ...bright, vivid, tons of punch and 'pop', great shadow and highlight detail, with great looking blacks as well. At least to my untrained eyes. I do tend to like a warm image and saturated colors. I'll admit it right now, I'm not a videofile and have never ventured into calibrating, but do appreciate a nice image. Also, I'm cool with the colors, even if they may not be calibrated to correct. I like them just the way they are with all the color defaults set to 50. It could probably be more accurate I'm sure, but like I say, I'm thrilled to death with it!!

Here's a few images I snapped tonight with my iPhone 7 to try to show what they look like. They look real close actually to what the image looked like in real. The phone overexposed maybe just a hair on a few of them and blew some highlights in a few areas, but I thought highlight detail in real life was pretty much spot on with not really much blowing out at all that I could see. I'm sure there is some, but I'm cool with that if I'm not really noticing it.

So a little info on my viewing environment: totally blacked out room with SY black velvet and black carpet witch really helps, 120" 16:9 screen, 1.1 gain I think, PJ 13' away for throw distance to screen (about as close as I can get it).

First pic From Aquaman. I knew if it cold nail this one, then I would love it for everything else, because this scene seems to blow highlights easily and washed out with bad settings. Not this time ...YAY!!!

Another from Aquaman. I thought this one was just jaw dropping for real's setting in front of the screen. I'm a little under 7' eyes to 120" screen and still looked razor sharp too (and quite engulfing). Dang this PJ is sharp with e-shift!! Cant imagine a true 4K. I do run it in a pretty high preset though. LEVEL 4. 5 is too much though and starts looking bad.

One form Avengers: Infinity War. I thought the image quality in this movie was amazing and razor sharp on a lot of the close-ups, which I love. Her face actually looks too sharp and funky/artifact'd in the photo, but looked great in actual.

So, if you guys like HarperVision but don't want to run in HIGH lamp, plus images that have quite a bit more pop and brightness in ECO mode, you may give these settings a try.

I'll show some of them in pics and try to list out the rest. Basically I took the Harper Vision settings that take in a Full HDR signal and convert it to SDR in the projector, but it in Bright Cinema instead of Digital Cinema and tweaked it a little bit to my liking. Super easy.

For the colors, I just left all of them at default 50, so you may want to mess with those and tweak to your liking or to a little more accurate on a test disc or something. Also, I only had to change one setting on the gamma points. I lowered gamma point 2 down a couple clicks. So from -14 to -16. -15 was good too. All three are good actually, but the lower you go, it deepens the shadow details a little more (so a little darker grey to the darkest areas I guess you could say). Gamma is as follows from left to right after I tweaked point number 2: 0, -16, -24, -26, -27, -28, -26, 16, 32

-------------------

EDIT: I’ll go ahead and list them out as well that may make applying them easier if you want to try them.

4K HDR Settings for tweaked HarperVision in ECO mode

Color Mode: Bright Cinema
Brightness: 40
Contrast: 100
Saturation: 80
Tint: 50
Sharpness: 9/9/9
Color Temp: 4
Skin Tone: 4

Offsets: I just set all to 50 for now (tweak to taste or test disc)

Image Enhancement: Preset 3
Power Consumption: ECO (MEDIUM can work good to if more brightness is needed).
Auto Iris: Normal

Gamma: 0, -15, -24, -26, -27, -28, 16, 32
(I only changed gamma point 2 from his original settings from -14 to -15 (-16 is pretty good too)

RGBCMY: I just set all to 50 for now (tweak to taste etc or cal)

Epson Super White: OFF
Lens Iris: 0

HDMI Video Range: Normal
Color Space: BT.2020 (be sure to send the projector the full HDR/WCG signal)
Dynamic Range: SDR (be sure to change this from any o the HDR or Auto settings)
Image Processing: Fine

-------------------

So give these settings a try guys if your still trying to get that magic in HDR images. You may have to make a few adjustments depending on your environment and gear, plus your tastes, but hopefully you'll be blown away as I am. Some of you guys might be more picky than me though, but ya never know, you may love the results it gives as much as I do. I'm absolutely thrilled and am done tweaking on it and got a lot of movies to watch now Oh yeah, If you find a need a little more brightness on some films, MEDIUM mode works great too, and still not nearly as obnoxious as HIGH.

I'd like to say THANK YOU @Dave Harper for coming up with this method of sending the PJ an HDR image and then converting to SDR within the PJ itself. Pure genius IMO and works like a charm!!!!

Cheers guys!!! Can you all tell I'm just a little excited right now LOL Man this Refurb 5040 for a little over a grand rocks and is truly a steal for the price IMO!!!!

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 08-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #17770 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
sending the PJ an HDR image and then converting to SDR within the PJ itself.
Nice photos, they look great! What are you playing the UHD Blu-ray discs on?

And when you say send the HDR image and convert to SDR, what's the benefit?
SBuger likes this.
post #17771 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just as an FYI, my 5040 is about a year and eight months old and I had a lamp failure - at about 900 hours - Wednesday night . I called Epson Thursday morning and they overnighted a new lamp at no charge, even though the lamp was well out of the warranty period. Excellent customer service!
SBuger, old corps and monkaquinas like this.
post #17772 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice photos, they look great! What are you playing the UHD Blu-ray discs on?

And when you say send the HDR image and convert to SDR, what's the benefit?

Thanks, Zoltrix!! I’m using the Oppo 203.

Basically, you’re just sending the Projector the full HDR/WCG signal and then manually tone mapping the HDR signal to SDR in the Projector itself (instead of having your player do it), getting a best of both worlds sort of thing for a “Pseudo-HDR” or “Tricked Out” SDR image I guess you could say. Seems to work amazingly well!! A lot better than the projectors HDR settings or even those + gamma tweaks IMO, at least for me. I’ve tried them all and pretty much every user setting in this forum as well. This tweaked HV setting I’m using for bright Cinema and ECO just seems to be the magic for me.

Inspector asked me for a list of these settings last night, so I’ll try to list them out when I get a chance and add it to my post above in addition to the info in the pics I included as well to make it easier for folks to try if they want. EDIT: got them added in my post above

A link to a post from Dave Harper talking about his HarperVision method a couple of years ago. There are lots more to scattered throughout this MEGA thread, but this one is shortly after he posted his HarperVision method:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post52256201

And another Link here of his description of it:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post52227617

Here is also a link to that first post of his with his original settings when he first posted the procedures in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post52228017
birdztudio likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 08-03-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #17773 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi folks, long time lurker here hoping for some advice to rate if my setup would work.

I inherited an Epson 8350 and Denon AVR-S710w that was part of the house I bought. The projector has been great but it now on its last legs and I'm considering switching out for the 5040ub. Most of my viewing is from Netflix / Amazon and any 4K content it offers and the cable box once in a while. I'm a casual gamer (PS4) so my head won't explode if every detail isn't perfect on the screen. It's set up in the basement which is pretty dark as well.

Would the 5040 be a big step up from the 8350 and does my setup make sense, or would I be just as fine with a 3500?

Appreciate any advice!
post #17774 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I started reading this thread to find the answer, and then I realized its 600 pages! So I'll just ask it.

Anyone else have issues with HDR being way too dark? I'm handy with electronics but I have no experience with calibration. Messing around with it a little, didn't do much to help though.

HDR bright looks pretty good, until a scene has alot of darkness or shadows (as pictured) and then its just super dark and SDR looks much better.
Here is an example with a bluray HDR 4k (transformers 2014).

Settings:

Auto:

Auto (bright):

Auto (bright) (hdmi EXTENDED setting):

SDR:

I read on other forums that this can happen if a projector just isn't powerful enough to display HDR well, regardless of settings. Is this something harpervisions settings (or I did see some others offer their settings) can actually help or are we supposed to stick to the SDR setting? I'm not a videophile, but its just way too dark

Also, what is that HDMI Video Range and is there any reason not to have it always on Extended instead of Auto?

I know it can be annoying to answer questions this basic, but I appreciate the help in advance!

EDIT: Holy crap guys, you can ignore my post. I tried harper's bright cinema HDR settings and the dark senes look GREAT. The very white scenes might be a bit bright. So I have to play with it. But overall I'm happy with what's possible. Didn't realize specific combinations would make THAT big of a differences.

The only other thing I noticed is that it made some scenes looks a bit grainy.
monkaquinas likes this.

Last edited by timelinex; 08-03-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #17775 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by imontopoftheworld View Post
Hi folks, long time lurker here hoping for some advice to rate if my setup would work.

I inherited an Epson 8350 and Denon AVR-S710w that was part of the house I bought. The projector has been great but it now on its last legs and I'm considering switching out for the 5040ub. Most of my viewing is from Netflix / Amazon and any 4K content it offers and the cable box once in a while. I'm a casual gamer (PS4) so my head won't explode if every detail isn't perfect on the screen. It's set up in the basement which is pretty dark as well.

Would the 5040 be a big step up from the 8350 and does my setup make sense, or would I be just as fine with a 3500?

Appreciate any advice!
Sorry should have noted that the Netflix / Amazon / Plex is played through the PS4
post #17776 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@timelinex

I feel the same way and have been using a tweaked version of Harper Vision in ECO mode. You may try the settings as well if those settings are giving you more of what you want. I’m loving it and gave me just what I wanted. I posted some pics a few posts up from here last night and the settings if you want to try them.
inspector likes this.

post #17777 of 18054 Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Zoltrix!! I’m using the Oppo 203.

Basically, you’re just sending the Projector the full HDR/WCG signal and then manually tone mapping the HDR signal to SDR in the Projector itself (instead of having your player do it), getting a best of both worlds sort of thing for a “Pseudo-HDR” or “Tricked Out” SDR image I guess you could say. Seems to work amazingly well!! A lot better than the projectors HDR settings or even those + gamma tweaks IMO, at least for me. I’ve tried them all and pretty much every user setting in this forum as well. This tweaked HV setting I’m using for bright Cinema and ECO just seems to be the magic for me.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Are you using the same settings on your Xbox One X for games? And if using an Xbox One X to play UHD Blu-rays, should the same settings produce the same result?
post #17778 of 18054 Old 08-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is this is bad as the Amazon reviews make it, dying after 2 to 3 years and lots of sending devices back?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #17779 of 18054 Old 08-04-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Are you using the same settings on your Xbox One X for games? And if using an Xbox One X to play UHD Blu-rays, should the same settings produce the same result?
No prob! I haven’t tried these tweaked HV settings yet on the Xbox, but I’m thinking they should be great as well in HDR. I did try them with my previous HDR settings though and was pretty good. The in-game sliders can really help get what you want in conjunction too.

post #17780 of 18054 Old 08-04-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
Is this is bad as the Amazon reviews make it, dying after 2 to 3 years and lots of sending devices back?

This didn't get to almost 600 pages with sugar and honey posts. It's cheap enough now to risk, but I'd either save more money or stretch the credit card and go with either a Sony or JVC. I had so many returns that I even tossed my Epson printer down the gully and bought an HP.
post #17781 of 18054 Old 08-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Z13

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New convert to the 5040ub-
Picked a refurb up like a lot of people recently- and with the price as it was- going to roll the dice on the risk!

I've dug through this thread which has been great- and read the opening post-
A lot of info which has been super helpful.

One thing I'm still not clear about- is if there's a default streaming device that will push out the best 4K image to the unit natively?

Apple TV 4K?
Xbox One X?
Roku Ultra?

Is there one that the community agrees is the better one to run Netflix/Amazon/Hulu 4K streaming movies off?

Thanks guys
post #17782 of 18054 Old 08-05-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z13 View Post

Picked a refurb up like a lot of people recently- and with the price as it was- going to roll the dice on the risk!

One thing I'm still not clear about- is if there's a default streaming device that will push out the best 4K image to the unit natively?

Apple TV 4K?

Xbox One X?

Roku Ultra?

Is there one that the community agrees is the better one to run Netflix/Amazon/Hulu 4K streaming movies off?

Thanks guys
Not sure either, but I have an nvidia shield. My refurbished projector comes Wednesday

post #17783 of 18054 Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Apple TV 4K?
Xbox One X?
Roku Ultra?

Thanks guys

Certainly the Roku Ultra does a nice job. Can't comment on the others. No experience with them.

Jeff
post #17784 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Apple TV 4K?
Xbox One X?
Roku Ultra?

Thanks guys

I know the ATV4K can be set to output native HDR @ 24Hz, which is all this projector can handle. Not sure about the others.
post #17785 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I know the ATV4K can be set to output native HDR @ 24Hz, which is all this projector can handle. Not sure about the others.
When set to that output do the menus lag like on the Nivida Shield?
post #17786 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 05:05 AM

It lags the nvidia shield?

post #17787 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:

post #17788 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

I think so, see here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57798958

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57600596
post #17789 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Yes, but you can set it to 4K SDR 60 with frame rate and color space matching on, which gives you smooth menus, and appropriate switching depending on the material. I know nothing about if the Shield offers this option.
post #17790 of 18054 Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 AM

So to summarize for the nvidia shield, to make everything easy to work with for the family, I would need a hdfury linker or integrater?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page