Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 594 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26951Likes

post #17791 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Shield TV hooked up to my 5040 and yes the UI 'lags' but it's just that it's running at 24fps instead of it's recommended 60fps. (Interchange FPS and hz). There's not really anything that's going to improve the feel of the UI aside from running it at it's recommended setting.

If you're using plex you can set the option to change refresh rate, that way you'll only feel lag if you pull the UI up during a film to pause it etc.

The above issue aside, is there any info out there on how sharp the image should be at the edges of the screen? It seems on my newly obtained refurbished unit that the right edge could be considered slightly out of focus - but if I focus it to be sharp there the middle's sharpness takes a hit. Is there an acceptable range for sharpness or should the picture ideally be 100% sharp uniformly across the entire picture? I can take pictures tonight if required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17792 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlovision View Post
I have a Shield TV hooked up to my 5040 and yes the UI 'lags' but it's just that it's running at 24fps instead of it's recommended 60fps. (Interchange FPS and hz). There's not really anything that's going to improve the feel of the UI aside from running it at it's recommended setting.

If you're using plex you can set the option to change refresh rate, that way you'll only feel lag if you pull the UI up during a film to pause it etc.

The above issue aside, is there any info out there on how sharp the image should be at the edges of the screen? It seems on my newly obtained refurbished unit that the right edge could be considered slightly out of focus - but if I focus it to be sharp there the middle's sharpness takes a hit. Is there an acceptable range for sharpness or should the picture ideally be 100% sharp uniformly across the entire picture? I can take pictures tonight if required.
Do you have to change any settings to watch Netflix 4k hdr and other apps or is it just one setting for eveything?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #17793 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Unfortunately I don't have 4k netflix, only 1080p so I can't confirm. I would expect it to function correctly with the proper connections. I have an older marantz av7005 which only does HDMI 1.4 and 1080p, and have been using a HDMI duplicator + downmixer to send a HDMI 1080 signal to the Marantz with the audio and a 4K signal to the projector and it kinda works but doesn't give me all the proper audio codecs. When I run everything through the Marantz at 1080p Netflix detects everything and provides more surround sound options, so I would expect the same with video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17794 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys,

Lots of info here. I am looking to jump at the 5040ub deal and save myself some money.
Upgrading from a UHD60 on. 90” screen with throw range of 9-10 feet. The room can be bright but is usually completely darkened and I watch movies at night. During the day kids may watch cartoons but not to concerned with how well it looks for them.

From the projector central calculator looks like the 5040ub might be too bright on 1.0 gain screen.

I would appreciate some high level advice and pointing in the right direction for my setup.
post #17795 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

No lens will have perfect focus across the whole screen, but this Epson does have as good as you’ll find anywhere near this price.

Are you sure your PJ is aligned flush to the screen? This is super hard to do without a laser measure, but that could be why one side is out of focus slightly because its angled a bit.
post #17796 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4884 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier3 View Post
Are you sure your PJ is aligned flush to the screen? This is super hard to do without a laser measure, but that could be why one side is out of focus slightly because its angled a bit.
If the projector is not properly aligned to the screen the image will be trapezoidal rather than rectangular.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-06-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #17797 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How would i be able to check if my ceiling projector mount could handle the weight of a 5040ub? It’s got no markings whatsoever on it but it has been carrying the weight of a 8350 which is about 10lbs lighter.

It looks like a no-name projector mount and seems like it should be fine. Is it safe to say that most mounts handle up to 30lbs?
post #17798 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 04:58 PM

Hey folks, I've run into an issue with my 5040ub and I'm looking for suggestions on the source of the problem.

I few weeks ago I decided to update the firmware in my projector. At the time I also had a few small dust spots, so I figured while I was working on things I would try blowing some compressed air into the system and see what happens.

I must have tilted the compressed air or something, because while I was blowing into the projector, I heard a loud pop, and then a very strong suphur smell. I let the projector cool off a bit, thinking I probably killed it, but when I turned it on it powered up no problem. The issue is that things seem to be dimmer now, It's not the bright picture I remember.
At first I thought I maybe killed the bulb, so I replaced that today, but the picture is no better. It actually seems not bad when I'm on the HOME screen that lists the inputs and settings button, but when displaying from any source it looks dim.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of opening it up to see if I can determine where the source of the pop/sulphur smell came from, and repair that. Not sure where to find replacement internal parts though (I'm in Canada).
post #17799 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweigh View Post
Hey folks, I've run into an issue with my 5040ub and I'm looking for suggestions on the source of the problem.

I few weeks ago I decided to update the firmware in my projector. At the time I also had a few small dust spots, so I figured while I was working on things I would try blowing some compressed air into the system and see what happens.

I must have tilted the compressed air or something, because while I was blowing into the projector, I heard a loud pop, and then a very strong suphur smell. I let the projector cool off a bit, thinking I probably killed it, but when I turned it on it powered up no problem. The issue is that things seem to be dimmer now, It's not the bright picture I remember.
At first I thought I maybe killed the bulb, so I replaced that today, but the picture is no better. It actually seems not bad when I'm on the HOME screen that lists the inputs and settings button, but when displaying from any source it looks dim.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of opening it up to see if I can determine where the source of the pop/sulphur smell came from, and repair that. Not sure where to find replacement internal parts though (I'm in Canada).
Well, I took the system apart to see if I could find the culprit. I'm still not sure where the pop came from, but it seems to have damaged the mirrors within the LCD block. I've attached a few pictures for reference. I tried cleaning one of them with some isopropyl alcohol, but it's not coming off at all, so I'm guessing this unit has seen the end of it's days...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_192826.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2599882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_192729.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	966.9 KB
ID:	2599884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_192713.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	696.1 KB
ID:	2599886   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190806_192647.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	922.0 KB
ID:	2599890  
post #17800 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier3 View Post
No lens will have perfect focus across the whole screen, but this Epson does have as good as you’ll find anywhere near this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
If the projector is not properly aligned to the screen the image will be trapezoidal rather than rectangular.
Checked alignment tonight and it was *slightly* off (half centimeter) so redid alignment from zoomed out position and measured everything. Image is as close to rectangular as possible with my measuring equipment.

Went back and checked focus and it's still fuzzy on the right side only. Attached pictures with a comparison between the two edges at center. I'm thinking that it's pretty much as good as it's going to get... but just wanted to see if it was common or a known issue. It's impossible to tell from seated position but I know it's there :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 10.37.45 PM.png
Views:	55
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2599902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 10.37.37 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2599904  
post #17801 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Checked alignment tonight and it was *slightly* off (half centimeter) so redid alignment from zoomed out position and measured everything. Image is as close to rectangular as possible with my measuring equipment.

Went back and checked focus and it's still fuzzy on the right side only. Attached pictures with a comparison between the two edges at center. I'm thinking that it's pretty much as good as it's going to get... but just wanted to see if it was common or a known issue. It's impossible to tell from seated position but I know it's there :P
Yep all Epson projectors have this issue. I've had different models over the years, and none of them had uniform focus. My current EH-TW6600 has a similar issue to yours. Out of focus in one corner.
post #17802 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweigh View Post
Well, I took the system apart to see if I could find the culprit. I'm still not sure where the pop came from, but it seems to have damaged the mirrors within the LCD block. I've attached a few pictures for reference. I tried cleaning one of them with some isopropyl alcohol, but it's not coming off at all, so I'm guessing this unit has seen the end of it's days...?

Have you seen this video on YouTube?

It is in German & is with the previous generation but the LCD panels are implemented the same way & the light path looks very similar.

I have been told not to use an air compressor due to the water & oil that can be introduced from the compressor but it seems you need a decent amount of pressure to dislodge the dust.

You should always work on the projector cold, isolated from the power & with the bulb removed as it can explode.
post #17803 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z13 View Post
New convert to the 5040ub-
Picked a refurb up like a lot of people recently- and with the price as it was- going to roll the dice on the risk!

I've dug through this thread which has been great- and read the opening post-
A lot of info which has been super helpful.

One thing I'm still not clear about- is if there's a default streaming device that will push out the best 4K image to the unit natively?

Apple TV 4K?
Xbox One X?
Roku Ultra?

Is there one that the community agrees is the better one to run Netflix/Amazon/Hulu 4K streaming movies off?

Thanks guys
This was a good question! I have the Panasonic UB820 player and a PS4 PRO. I've been testing the PS4 Pro and can get 4k in both Netflix & Prime, but no HDR unless I switch to 1080p mode. These apps are also locked to 60hz. The UB820 is the same, so still not ideal. Why on earth are they not at 24hz?!

I watched Altered Carbon in 1080p HDR on the PS4 Pro last night and whilst the color highlights were awesome, there was extreme banding going on. Will try this again with the UB820 as with it's HDR settings I'm sure I can get a better picture.

Anyone know what Chromecast Ultra outputs?
post #17804 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmckinney View Post
I watched Altered Carbon in 1080p HDR on the PS4 Pro
Out of interest, how does it look in 4k 60Hz without HDR?
post #17805 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Out of interest, how does it look in 4k 60Hz without HDR?
It looked amazing tbh. Super sharp, detailed with real color pop. I thought HDR was working to start with! I didn't notice any stuttering on this, but a bit earlier I watched The Boys in 4k 60hz and it stuttered REALLY bad.
post #17806 of 18082 Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 PM

Cool. I wonder why Prime was having issues though...
post #17807 of 18082 Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just picked up a refurb unit as well. My quick research on the best streaming device seems to point to the Apple TV since it allows for frame rate matching for most of the major apps. It may have other limitations I'm not aware of (like playback of local files, which I'm not concerned with).
post #17808 of 18082 Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:

There is an auto-refresher apk that was released. You can set different apps for different fps's.
post #17809 of 18082 Old 08-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
There is an auto-refresher apk that was released. You can set different apps for different fps's.
It doesn't bother me to be honest. I run the shield TV at it's recommended visual settings which ends up at 4k60 so the UI is nice and smooth, then use plex with the "allow refresh rate switching" option so it only changes that when playing media and the only time I'll see the UI there is if I need to pause / ff or rewind or change other settings during playback. Once I've finished watching it goes back to default settings.
post #17810 of 18082 Old 08-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
It doesn't bother me to be honest. I run the shield TV at it's recommended visual settings which ends up at 4k60 so the UI is nice and smooth, then use plex with the "allow refresh rate switching" option so it only changes that when playing media and the only time I'll see the UI there is if I need to pause / ff or rewind or change other settings during playback. Once I've finished watching it goes back to default settings.
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if I will need that hdfury device with the shield for netflix, streaming iptv, and streaming movies through mx player/VLC.

post #17811 of 18082 Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if I will need that hdfury device with the shield for netflix, streaming iptv, and streaming movies through mx player/VLC.

I think you're good since all of those should fit within the bandwidth limitations that the projector has. I think it's HDR Rec.2020 4k60 material that requires a linker but that seems to be only applicable for gaming with a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.
post #17812 of 18082 Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi All,

I just bought an EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB with version software:

Main 840076648uwwv113
Video2 7YL28RMV111

Do I need to upgrade?
Thanks in advance.
post #17813 of 18082 Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on the 5040UB refurb model for $1500 CAD which is a great deal.

Currently I have a 10 year old Panasonic PT-AE4000u. I have absolutely zero complaints about picture quality. Zero screen door effect. It is as nice or nicer than my brand new Panasonic 65" 4K TV.

Would the 5040UB be a big enough of a upgrade from the AE4000u?

My only complaint about the AE4000u is I wish it was brighter so the picture popped more. I do have 1000 hrs on the original 10 year old bulb. I have a new Panasonic bulb in a box still. I'd rather not put it in just to see if there is a light output difference.

The AE4000u has 1600 lumens while the 5040UB has 2500.

I know lumens aren't the main criteria about what makes a projector look good.

Truthfully I don't need a 4k projector or TV for that matter. Maybe in the future I will.
post #17814 of 18082 Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fast5oh View Post
I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on the 5040UB refurb model for $1500 CAD which is a great deal.

Currently I have a 10 year old Panasonic PT-AE4000u. I have absolutely zero complaints about picture quality. Zero screen door effect. It is as nice or nicer than my brand new Panasonic 65" 4K TV.

My only complaint about the AE4000u is I wish it was brighter so the picture popped more. I do have 1000 hrs on the original 10 year old bulb. I have a new Panasonic bulb in a box still. I'd rather not put it in just to see if there is a light output difference.

Truthfully I don't need a 4k projector or TV for that matter. Maybe in the future I will.
Its 3500 lumens in the brightest mode

post #17815 of 18082 Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Any recommendations for a white ceiling mount?
post #17816 of 18082 Old 08-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fast5oh View Post

I’m in Canada too, and purchased the 5040UB earlier this year.

I would say that absolutely, you’ll notice a big improvement in the aspects you listed. The brightness in best mode, is really fantastic. The colours are also rich and vibrant. It really is a fantastic projector. When I view my Optoma HD25e projector now, it looks like its faded in comparison, because the colour and contrast is so much better on the Epson. I still keep the Optoma because nothing can beat a DLP for 3D, but otherwise its the Epson I prefer easily.
post #17817 of 18082 Old 08-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 5040 certified refurb from Epson just arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering, is there a list or guide of common problems to check for on these (hot spots, etc)? I'm fairly new to projectors and unaware of some common pitfalls, especially with refurbs. I did notice my lens had some grime on it so using a guide I found here, I used distilled water and some Q tips to clean it (using a swirl motion) but not entirely sure that was the best method. I do see what appears to be dust on the lens that doesn't come off (visible when light is shining through) but maybe this is normal.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I'd obviously like to take advantage of the advanced return policy while I still can

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
post #17818 of 18082 Old 08-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I went from a Panasonic ptae400 and I am glad I did. It is the difference between good and very excellent. Also you will need a new bulb soon. That brought me over the line to an upgrade.
post #17819 of 18082 Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi,

I have a problem with the 5040ub and hopefully you can help me.

I upgraded from the Epson hc 2040 to the 5040ub.

Everything is working great expect when playing games on my PC.

For some reason the Projector will show a black screen with a not supported message at the bottom left, The pc monitor is still working with 0 problems.

My pc (gtx 1080ti) is connected to my receiver (Marantz SR6013) via HDMI and the HDMI OUT from the receiver is going to the projector.

I duplicate my main pc monitor (Asus vg248qe - 1080p 144hz) to the projector, The desktop and movie players on the pc work with no problem.

It is only when I run a game at full screen that causes the black screen.

I had no such problems with the Epson hc 2040.

If I disable my main pc monitor and play on the projector it is working fine.

If I run the game at windowed mode or borderless mode it working fine.

If there is a black screen and I disconnect the HDMI IN / HDMI OUT from my receiver and connect it again while the game is playing in full screen then the projector will show the game even at full screen, If I minimize the game and go back to it the black screen will return.

I have no idea what is causing this because everything was working with the Epson hc 2040.

Any help?
post #17820 of 18082 Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmckinney View Post
This was a good question! I have the Panasonic UB820 player and a PS4 PRO. I've been testing the PS4 Pro and can get 4k in both Netflix & Prime, but no HDR unless I switch to 1080p mode. These apps are also locked to 60hz. The UB820 is the same, so still not ideal. Why on earth are they not at 24hz?!

I watched Altered Carbon in 1080p HDR on the PS4 Pro last night and whilst the color highlights were awesome, there was extreme banding going on. Will try this again with the UB820 as with it's HDR settings I'm sure I can get a better picture.

Anyone know what Chromecast Ultra outputs?
With the new update for Shield, I'm able to get 4k HDR in 30hz, haven't tried 24hz yet. Before it always switched to 1080p HDR when trying something below 60hz in Netflix.

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page