Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 599 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26951Likes

post #17941 of 18077 Old 09-15-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

when using this setting with linker and xbox... see pcs in attach pls. So games are downscaled to 1080p but with 60Hz and full HDR its working fine. Second setting on linker is, that it keep 4k, 24Hz, HDR for UHD discs and movies.
With this settings, switching to games is automatically, but when I insert UHD disc, linker will not switch correctly and give some destroyed image and I need to reset it manually. Any ideas pls?
If I put both options in pcs 4k60 and 4k30 to 1080p or 4k... everything is working. But as I said, I want 1080p with hdr for games and 4k hdr for blu ray discs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linker.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2615480  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17942 of 18077 Old 09-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeto79 View Post
Hi guys,

when using this setting with linker and xbox... see pcs in attach pls. So games are downscaled to 1080p but with 60Hz and full HDR its working fine. Second setting on linker is, that it keep 4k, 24Hz, HDR for UHD discs and movies.
With this settings, switching to games is automatically, but when I insert UHD disc, linker will not switch correctly and give some destroyed image and I need to reset it manually. Any ideas pls?
If I put both options in pcs 4k60 and 4k30 to 1080p or 4k... everything is working. But as I said, I want 1080p with hdr for games and 4k hdr for blu ray discs.
Curious, You find it worth losing 4K on games to get HDR?
I have the XB1X and Star Wars BF II is breathtaking in 4K. Would getting a linker losing 4K and gaining HDR make that much of an improvement?

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #17943 of 18077 Old 09-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
very much yes, because this PJ is not native 4k, so you are really loosing nearly nothing regards resolution. but with HDR 10bit, you gain a lot. If PJ is native 4k, I will not sacrifice it of course. I can still game with 4k, but hdr only 8bit which you may find better way for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
Curious, You find it worth losing 4K on games to get HDR?
I have the XB1X and Star Wars BF II is breathtaking in 4K. Would getting a linker losing 4K and gaining HDR make that much of an improvement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17944 of 18077 Old 09-16-2019, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
Thanks for the reply!

have you used it on 3D movies?
Which version of paint did you get and what did you apply it on? Drywall? Sprayed or rolled?
My screen goes all the way back to this article :
https://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

Unfortunately, the paint the article is centered around doesn't exist anymore...and I'm trying to find a replacement.
post #17945 of 18077 Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmecologist View Post
My screen goes all the way back to this article :
https://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

Unfortunately, the paint the article is centered around doesn't exist anymore...and I'm trying to find a replacement.
I, too, did the Sherwin-Williams satin paint and found it to be too shiny (as the article's updated info inferred). So, I used their "Duration" ultra white matte blend and got nice results. This was the paint the Projector Central article suggested, before them trying out the satin version (which was brighter).

I made a sample of the "Duration" paint on a piece of drywall and brought it over to a friend's home theater I helped do the install. His screen (Monoprice Ultra HD) is ISF certified and a gain of 1.2. It is bright white with very little sheen. And gorgeous.

The "Duration" paint's color balance was precisely the same as his ISF screen. However, the gain was lower and your eye noticed the difference in 100 IRE tests.

After this test, I again thought about the "eggshell" option (similar to satin, but just a tad less shiny). I tried Dutch Boy's Ultra WHite eggshell against the "Duration" paint from Sherwin-Williams. It had identical color balance, but was a full f-stop brighter (from a DSLR light meter).

Although I have not tested the Ultra White eggshell against the ISF 1.2 gain screen, I have a hunch it will be really close to its gain. I already expect its color balance to be accurate.

I'm pretty sure that the extra brightness came from the eggshell finish over the flat finish.

All tests were with the 5040UB.
Xavier3 likes this.

Last edited by pete ramberg; 09-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
post #17946 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete ramberg View Post
I, too, did the Sherwin-Williams satin paint and found it to be too shiny (as the article's updated info inferred). So, I used their "Duration" ultra white matte blend and got nice results. This was the paint the Projector Central article suggested, before them trying out the satin version (which was brighter).

I made a sample of the "Duration" paint on a piece of drywall and brought it over to a friend's home theater I helped do the install. His screen (Monoprice Ultra HD) is ISF certified and a gain of 1.2. It is bright white with very little sheen. And gorgeous.

The "Duration" paint's color balance was precisely the same as his ISF screen. However, the gain was lower and your eye noticed the difference in 100 IRE tests.

After this test, I again thought about the "eggshell" option (similar to satin, but just a tad less shiny). I tried Dutch Boy's Ultra WHite eggshell against the "Duration" paint from Sherwin-Williams. It had identical color balance, but was a full f-stop brighter (from a DSLR light meter).

Although I have not tested the Ultra White eggshell against the ISF 1.2 gain screen, I have a hunch it will be really close to its gain. I already expect its color balance to be accurate.

I'm pretty sure that the extra brightness came from the eggshell finish over the flat finish.

All tests were with the 5040UB.
I painted my screen before the formulation changed..so I'm good...and the screen looks great. However, over time the paint has cracked in a couple spots...so I thought a new coat or two would be a good idea. Unfortunately, I went back to the article above and found that the formulation changed.

Thanks for the info on the paints! Let me know if you find a paint that compares well to the ISF 1.2 gain screen. If you do, maybe we can even convince them to update the 'paint on screen' article. I do know that article was popular. It is unfortunate that nobody has found a suitable replacement yet.
post #17947 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldlygo View Post
Ok. Did some playing around and set 4K to these settings:
Color Mode: Bright Cinema
Brightness/Contrast/Sat/Tint at: 50
Color Temp, Skin Tone at: 4
Image Preset Mode: Preset 4
Gamma: 2
Super White: Off
Power Consumption: High
Auto Iris: Normal
HDR: Mode 1

All other settings left alone.

Changed the OPPO's Color Depth to : 12-bit. Now the OPPO's Info shows the Color Space : BT2020 YCbCr: 4:2:0 10 bit

Picture looks pretty good now.
I Saw you had a Marantz 7702 with an Epson 6040. I was wondering if you saw a drop off in video quality through the 7702 since it doesn't do 4k uhd? I ask cause I'm building my first home theater and found a good deal on a 7702 but I'm planning to upgrade to a Epson 5050 in the near future and don't want to regret the 7702. Any advice or experience would be great.
post #17948 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Z13

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all,

I'm still so lost in getting a good picture for the XBOX ONE X
Everything seems either cloudy and a little dark, no matter what settings I play with.
Not really that hell bent on achieving faster FPS or the HDR issues some other people are dealing with- but just getting a nice clear clean bright solid picture- well balanced.

Im running the projector through an ONKYO TXRZ840 with 4K upscaling-

If anyone has found some settings that are working for them love to see it!!
post #17949 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z13 View Post
Hi all,

I'm still so lost in getting a good picture for the XBOX ONE X

Everything seems either cloudy and a little dark, no matter what settings I play with.

Not really that hell bent on achieving faster FPS or the HDR issues some other people are dealing with- but just getting a nice clear clean bright solid picture- well balanced.

Im running the projector through an ONKYO TXRZ840 with 4K upscaling-

If anyone has found some settings that are working for them love to see it!!
There is a pdf with various hdr and sdr settings somewhere in this big thread

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #17950 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJKUR View Post
I Saw you had a Marantz 7702 with an Epson 6040. I was wondering if you saw a drop off in video quality through the 7702 since it doesn't do 4k uhd? I ask cause I'm building my first home theater and found a good deal on a 7702 but I'm planning to upgrade to a Epson 5050 in the near future and don't want to regret the 7702. Any advice or experience would be great.

I have since upgraded my Marantz to the SR7012 although I still have my Epson 6040, so unfortunately I can't offer advise on this.

HT: OPPO UDP-203, Marantz AV7702 (Atmos 7.1.2), Epson 6040UB, Elite AEON 125", AppleTV, Toshiba HD-XA2
post #17951 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Z13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
There is a pdf with various hdr and sdr settings somewhere in this big thread

Yeah, have been through that document. Am using Harper for SDR movies- beautiful settings.
Nothing is really hitting the mark on XBOX ONE X though-
TBH, not sure if its another setting Im missing or should be tweaking on the X1 side.

Curious to what other people are using if they are running the same system.
post #17952 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, have been through that document. Am using Harper for SDR movies- beautiful settings.

TBH, not sure if its another setting Im missing or should be tweaking on the X1 side.

Ah ok. I dont have an xbox to try out.

post #17953 of 18077 Old 09-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hey, I've recently purchased a EH-TW8300 (same as 5040ub I think). And Xbox One X looks great. I set the projector to Digital Cinema mode and left everything else default. So games are running at 60Hz 4k. No HDR, but I'm not fussed with HDR for games anyway.
post #17954 of 18077 Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I recently purchased a Epson 5040UB projector (refurb) as my first ever projector and I am now looking at HDMI cables. In the short term, I will need a cable that's approx. 26' long. In the long run I'd like to have an AV rack that's out of view that would require a 40'/50' cable. My questions is, would one of the following cables work for passing 4k, HDR, 4:4:4 to my projector? Are there better / cheaper options?

Monoprice Luxe Series: amazon.com/Monoprice-HDMI-Speed-Active-Cable/dp/B0186DNFLI
Monoprice HOSS Series: amazon.com/Monoprice-114471-Active-Speed-18Gbps/dp/B019FN6II0/
(Sorry I can't post working links yet)

I could try to get away with a 40' cable but that wouldnt leave much wiggle room. The Monoprice website stated that a 50' cable from the Luxe series wouldnt work, but I have no idea if a 40' cable would.

I also looked at some AmazonBasic cables with Redmere but a few reviews stated the 50' cable wasnt passing 4k/60Hz or HDR. I believe the 5040 only does 4k/30Hz but I'd really like to enjoy the HDR

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to the home theater thing.

Thank you!
post #17955 of 18077 Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I'm having a similar problem dialing in settings for my WIN10 home theater PC. I just can't seem to get the the correct combo of settings for comfortably doing PC work. Note that I have separate settings for various cinema situations ( 4K SDR, 4K HDR, etc..)...which look gorgeous. However, I can't seem to get the correct level of brightness, crispness, etc...for PC usage. If anyone does have decent WIN10 settings, please share!
post #17956 of 18077 Old 09-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuvassin View Post
I recently purchased a Epson 5040UB projector (refurb) as my first ever projector and I am now looking at HDMI cables. In the short term, I will need a cable that's approx. 26' long. In the long run I'd like to have an AV rack that's out of view that would require a 40'/50' cable. My questions is, would one of the following cables work for passing 4k, HDR, 4:4:4 to my projector? Are there better / cheaper options?

Monoprice Luxe Series: amazon.com/Monoprice-HDMI-Speed-Active-Cable/dp/B0186DNFLI
Monoprice HOSS Series: amazon.com/Monoprice-114471-Active-Speed-18Gbps/dp/B019FN6II0/

I could try to get away with a 40' cable but that wouldnt leave much wiggle room. The Monoprice website stated that a 50' cable from the Luxe series wouldnt work, but I have no idea if a 40' cable would.

I also looked at some AmazonBasic cables with Redmere but a few reviews stated the 50' cable wasnt passing 4k/60Hz or HDR. I believe the 5040 only does 4k/30Hz but I'd really like to enjoy the HDR

Thank you!

I did some research a while back and ended up going with the Monoprice HOSS cable. According to Monoprice, it has the most up to date chipset ( Spectra7 HT8181 ). More info here :

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14467

The cable works great for me...I have the 30ft length though. 40ft may be pushing it. You might want to consider a fiber optic cable..especially if your run is closer to 50ft.
post #17957 of 18077 Old 09-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Z13

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmecologist View Post
I'm having a similar problem dialing in settings for my WIN10 home theater PC. I just can't seem to get the the correct combo of settings for comfortably doing PC work. Note that I have separate settings for various cinema situations ( 4K SDR, 4K HDR, etc..)...which look gorgeous. However, I can't seem to get the correct level of brightness, crispness, etc...for PC usage. If anyone does have decent WIN10 settings, please share!
Sounds like you and me are in the same boat.
post #17958 of 18077 Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuvassin View Post

Thank you!
I'm using a 12 metre Redmere cable that is only rated to 10.2Gbps and it works fine. You don't need an 18Gbps one, unless you wanted to future proof a bit more...
post #17959 of 18077 Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Exclamation

New to the 5040...

Where is everyone setting the iris settings and why?

For anyone else running an htpc with madVR...are you using something like "harpervision" pq settings in conjunction with madVR (for HDR content in particular)? I plan to use madVR for tone mapping HDR sources, so madVR will take the HDR source and then send a tone mapped SDR signal to the pj - correct? I would guess then that I would want to concentrate on image settings that pertain to SDR and not HDR, right?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #17960 of 18077 Old 09-19-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
For anyone else running an htpc with madVR...are you using something like "harpervision" pq settings in conjunction with madVR (for HDR content in particular)?
If you’re using madVR to do HDR conversion then the projector should be in Gamma 2.2 or 2.4.
post #17961 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
If you’re using madVR to do HDR conversion then the projector should be in Gamma 2.2 or 2.4.
Are you suggesting not to use any custom gamma settings then (such as harpervision)?

What about PQ settings on the PJ?

Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #17962 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Are you suggesting not to use any custom gamma settings then (such as harpervision)?

What about PQ settings on the PJ?
No, harpervision is a custom HDR curve; you need a standard SDR gamma.
post #17963 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
No, harpervision is a custom HDR curve; you need a standard SDR gamma.
Gotcha.

So I really shouldn't use any of the image recommendations for HDR (harpervision, oledurt) that have custom gamma settings then, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5040 projector settings.11.22_Page_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	2617856  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5040 projector settings.11.22.pdf (68.1 KB, 26 views)

post #17964 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Have anybody here tried Netflix in 30Hz and HDR (Rec. 2020) instead of 60Hz and SDR with your Shield?

Before the update it always only streamed in 1080p even if you had selected 4k 30Hz and HDR.

What do you guys think?

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
post #17965 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Have anybody here tried Netflix in 30Hz and HDR (Rec. 2020) instead of 60Hz and SDR with your Shield?

Before the update it always only streamed in 1080p even if you had selected 4k 30Hz and HDR.

What do you guys think?

I use netflix 4k at 30hz or 23.something on my shield sometimes

post #17966 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I use netflix 4k at 30hz or 23.something on my shield sometimes

Do you feel like it's as smooth as in 60Hz?

post #17967 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Do you feel like it's as smooth as in 60Hz?

I'll have to try it this weekend and see

post #17968 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I'll have to try it this weekend and see

Tried a little bit now with 23.97Hz (some weeks ago I only tried in 30Hz and that wasn't that good) and it seems to work good and smooth in 3 shows.

Another question; Do you know if Netflix are using Rec. 709 in HDR and not Rec. 2020? The information in my 6040 say it's recieving Rec. 709.

post #17969 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 04:18 PM

No idea

post #17970 of 18077 Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried a little bit now with 23.97Hz (some weeks ago I only tried in 30Hz and that wasn't that good) and it seems to work good and smooth in 3 shows.

Another question; Do you know if Netflix are using Rec. 709 in HDR and not Rec. 2020? The information in my 6040 say it's recieving Rec. 709.

If you’re running in 10 bit mode Netflix HDR should be in BT2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page