Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 632 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27221Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18931 of 19070 Old 02-20-2020, 11:00 PM
Member
 
carlobenavidesahavia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any settings for the 5040ub on Madvr I can follow? I just bought the projector and a newbie at MADvr or is there a player I can buy which automatically configures MADvr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
I tried the hdfury diva for the tone mapping. It was pretty bad, not worth buying or trying if anyone was interested. Madvr was tons tons better.

Went straight back to amazon for the return.



Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
carlobenavidesahavia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18932 of 19070 Old 02-21-2020, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
inspector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Menifee, CA , USA
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post
I have had the 6040 for over a year now and have tried so many PQ settings that I have lost count.
I started with Harpervision and worked along from there.

My settings I am using now are frighteningly simple but have provided the best PQ I have seen.
As recommended by Stacy of Spears and Munsil fame, start with the basic out of the box settings as provided by Epson.
Epson's have always been reviewed as great PQ out of the box.

As I want the fullest colour gamut for HDR,I chose Cinema and just changed the power and iris settings to taste-for me high for both.
On the Panasonic UB420, enter Basic Projector settings for screen type and then turn the Optomiser on.
As recommended by someone, I set the Dynamic Range to 8, White curve to 3 and black curve to minus 4.
I thought 8 would be too high but it works brilliantly.

Then away you go!
That's all you need to do.

The PJ signal is set to SDR:2020 using the SDR"envelope "to send the full 4k source thru.
You can check this on the PJ.
My Scope screen is 9ft wide and am using an A-lens so all the light ends up on the screen.

I know it sounds too simple to be true but what have you got to loose?
You have 10 memories on the Epson-just try this on one of them!
Have fun!!

Thanks for the settings!
I'll be testing them out this afternoon

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
inspector is offline  
post #18933 of 19070 Old 02-21-2020, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
john hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hope they work for you and looking forward to hearing how you got on.
Don't know what difference it makes but I had the latest firmware installed.
Good luck!!
john hunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18934 of 19070 Old 02-22-2020, 07:08 PM
Member
 
clhug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Genuine OEM Bulbs?

Where the heck do I buy GENUINE OEM bulbs for the 5040? Epson's site doesn't sell them (they are listed, but I can't buy it), and I find tons on Amazon but I don't trust that any of them are truly OEM. I've tried a Google search but all I get are either Amazon or a few other sellers where again, I don't trust that what they're selling is a genuine OEM part

Also, if the bulb is burned out, will it be obvious if I pull the bulb out and look at it? Like will it look black inside or anything like that?

I was watching it and the picture just suddenly went black, and the fan revved really high. The Status light is flashing blue, and the Lamp light is solid Orange (and Power light is not lit). The manual says this is a lamp issue. I pulled the power plug and let it sit a full hour, and tried to turn back on, and get the same thing.

I took the bulb out and I can't see that it looks obviously burned out.

Would like to make sure it really is the bulb before I buy a new one.

I've had the projector about exactly 3 years (literally almost to the day), so I'd guess it's probably about time for a bulb.

Thanks!

Last edited by clhug; 02-22-2020 at 07:26 PM.
clhug is offline  
post #18935 of 19070 Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect thread to post on this topic.

I just purchased a refurb 5040UB and currently testing it on my existing projection screen (110-120" diagonal). I used to have a Runco RS900 that failed.

Now I can't seem to stretch the picture wide to fit the entire screen with this 5040UB. I also can't seem to be able to change the Aspect from "Normal" to anything else. Keystone settings don't really allow for any horizontal scaling. It appears that older models had a Screen Fit feature that would allow one to fix this issue.

Do any of your experts have suggestions for things/settings to try? Probably not related to this issue but Frame Interpolation is grayed out in the Settings/Menu and doesn't do anything. Oh and lastly, I used to use the Runco along with a Runco branded anamorphic lens (which I still have) if that matter.

Appreciate your suggestions! Thanks!
Ashwin Kotian is offline  
post #18936 of 19070 Old 02-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug View Post
Where the heck do I buy GENUINE OEM bulbs for the 5040? Epson's site doesn't sell them (they are listed, but I can't buy it), and I find tons on Amazon but I don't trust that any of them are truly OEM. I've tried a Google search but all I get are either Amazon or a few other sellers where again, I don't trust that what they're selling is a genuine OEM part

Also, if the bulb is burned out, will it be obvious if I pull the bulb out and look at it? Like will it look black inside or anything like that?

I was watching it and the picture just suddenly went black, and the fan revved really high. The Status light is flashing blue, and the Lamp light is solid Orange (and Power light is not lit). The manual says this is a lamp issue. I pulled the power plug and let it sit a full hour, and tried to turn back on, and get the same thing.

I took the bulb out and I can't see that it looks obviously burned out.

Would like to make sure it really is the bulb before I buy a new one.

I've had the projector about exactly 3 years (literally almost to the day), so I'd guess it's probably about time for a bulb.

Thanks!

Well this is a official epson reseller i called Epson for a filter replacement and they told me to order it from.

https://compassmicro.com/products/pr...ma-5040ub.html

but i wouldn't buy a 5040ub bulb for 250$ that would be my last resort .
my pj only lasted 1k hr but i still have another 2-3 bulb laying around from Epson promotion and another one i got from Epson. 3 in total well now only 2.

I would also say this is OEM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Epson-H...EAAOSwHUhaClhI

Now that i'm wondering did my bulb really only last 1007hr or when i went to clean the pj it probably got loose XD.
Im going to have to check if the bulb is truly dead.
PQWil is offline  
post #18937 of 19070 Old 02-23-2020, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
I just bought a 6040 and TBH this is some of the best looking HDR picture I've seen so far. My reference was the JVC X9500 which I owned for years but this thing is better than that when it comes to HDR so not sure how some owners are not happy. I've chewed up approx 20 projectors over the past few years including the LS10K, multiple Sony 4K, top end JVCs and tested the very top of the food chain such as the laser JVC and Sony but I have to admin this 6040 is stunning compared to all when it comes to what it offers it's simply unbeatable IMO.
My only issues are that the iris is very noisy and I can see it pumping otherwise it's a hell of a machine.
mmdd and Xavier3 like this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is online now  
post #18938 of 19070 Old 02-23-2020, 10:06 PM
Newbie
 
jordanfff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Kotian View Post
Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect thread to post on this topic.

I just purchased a refurb 5040UB and currently testing it on my existing projection screen (110-120" diagonal). I used to have a Runco RS900 that failed.

Now I can't seem to stretch the picture wide to fit the entire screen with this 5040UB. I also can't seem to be able to change the Aspect from "Normal" to anything else. Keystone settings don't really allow for any horizontal scaling. It appears that older models had a Screen Fit feature that would allow one to fix this issue.

Do any of your experts have suggestions for things/settings to try? Probably not related to this issue but Frame Interpolation is grayed out in the Settings/Menu and doesn't do anything. Oh and lastly, I used to use the Runco along with a Runco branded anamorphic lens (which I still have) if that matter.

Appreciate your suggestions! Thanks!
Can you use lens zoom and the the blanking feature in the signal settings,to bring in the sides or height of projected picture
jordanfff is offline  
post #18939 of 19070 Old 02-24-2020, 04:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Kotian View Post
Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect thread to post on this topic.

I also can't seem to be able to change the Aspect from "Normal" to anything else. Keystone settings don't really allow for any horizontal scaling. It appears that older models had a Screen Fit feature that would allow one to fix this issue.

Do any of your experts have suggestions for things/settings to try? Probably not related to this issue but Frame Interpolation is grayed out in the Settings/Menu and doesn't do anything. Oh and lastly, I used to use the Runco along with a Runco branded anamorphic lens (which I still have) if that matter.

Appreciate your suggestions! Thanks!
I have a related question and was going to ask it today - I cannot change aspect ratio either. I learned this when I put in a DVD that for some reason was displaying a smaller than normal (but 16:9 size) picture. I have a few of these DVD's and never had a problem using the zoom aspect ratio on my Oppo, but the Epson shows you a menu and doesn't allow you to do anything with it.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
marcosphoto is online now  
post #18940 of 19070 Old 02-24-2020, 05:36 AM
Member
 
ryudoadema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post
I have had the 6040 for over a year now and have tried so many PQ settings that I have lost count.
I started with Harpervision and worked along from there.

My settings I am using now are frighteningly simple but have provided the best PQ I have seen.
As recommended by Stacy of Spears and Munsil fame, start with the basic out of the box settings as provided by Epson.
Epson's have always been reviewed as great PQ out of the box.

As I want the fullest colour gamut for HDR,I chose Cinema and just changed the power and iris settings to taste-for me high for both.
On the Panasonic UB420, enter Basic Projector settings for screen type and then turn the Optomiser on.
As recommended by someone, I set the Dynamic Range to 8, White curve to 3 and black curve to minus 4.
I thought 8 would be too high but it works brilliantly.

Then away you go!
That's all you need to do.

The PJ signal is set to SDR:2020 using the SDR"envelope "to send the full 4k source thru.
You can check this on the PJ.
My Scope screen is 9ft wide and am using an A-lens so all the light ends up on the screen.

I know it sounds too simple to be true but what have you got to loose?
You have 10 memories on the Epson-just try this on one of them!
Have fun!!
Thanks for that! I am a little confused on a couple points though. For the widest color gamut for HDR, wouldn't you use Digital Cinema? I thought that was the one that claimed 100% DCI-P3.

So you set the pj to SDR:2020 when using an HDR source? Does that just get rid of the dynamic range that the pj is not so good at, but keep the wide color gamut?

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
ryudoadema is offline  
post #18941 of 19070 Old 02-24-2020, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
avtoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Toronto. Canada
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Thanks for that! I am a little confused on a couple points though. For the widest color gamut for HDR, wouldn't you use Digital Cinema? I thought that was the one that claimed 100% DCI-P3.

So you set the pj to SDR:2020 when using an HDR source? Does that just get rid of the dynamic range that the pj is not so good at, but keep the wide color gamut?
Yes to your first question. People use Natural when they find Digital Cinema to be too dim.

Some use SDR2020 and other don’t. When it comes to the Epson projectors, I’d say the usage is split so I suggest trying both.
ryudoadema likes this.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
avtoronto is offline  
post #18942 of 19070 Old 02-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
john hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Both digital cinema and cinema provide 97/98 % of the P3 gamut.
Natural about 87/8.
Am playing with Dig Cinema which seems to need less Dynamic Range on the 420.
Subtle differences with Cinema and still trying to work them out.
inspector and ryudoadema like this.
john hunter is offline  
post #18943 of 19070 Old 02-24-2020, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The one on the right is good and the one on the left is dead. I guess its burnt out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200224_151905_1582595466138.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	6.34 MB
ID:	2689750  
PQWil is offline  
post #18944 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post
Both digital cinema and cinema provide 97/98 % of the P3 gamut.

Natural about 87/8.

Am playing with Dig Cinema which seems to need less Dynamic Range on the 420.

Subtle differences with Cinema and still trying to work them out.


What about bright cinema or even dynamic??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superman2 is offline  
post #18945 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
I just bought a 6040 and TBH this is some of the best looking HDR picture I've seen so far. My reference was the JVC X9500 which I owned for years but this thing is better than that when it comes to HDR so not sure how some owners are not happy. I've chewed up approx 20 projectors over the past few years including the LS10K, multiple Sony 4K, top end JVCs and tested the very top of the food chain such as the laser JVC and Sony but I have to admin this 6040 is stunning compared to all when it comes to what it offers it's simply unbeatable IMO.
My only issues are that the iris is very noisy and I can see it pumping otherwise it's a hell of a machine.
Glad to hear you like it! Means a lot with your experience in top of the line PJs.

I really love HDR on this PJ, especially since I use to an HTPC + MadVR. I really love how well it does with 1080p Blu-ray as well. Colour and contrast + brightness is fantastic.

As for the Auto-Iris, I found that changing it from ‘Fast’ to ‘Normal’ solved it for me, and now I never even notice it working. It makes the iris a lot less aggressive, as I’m quite sensitive to that. No issues with Normal and I can’t even remember the last time I heard it. Hope that helps!
Xavier3 is offline  
post #18946 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier3 View Post
Glad to hear you like it! Means a lot with your experience in top of the line PJs.

I really love HDR on this PJ, especially since I use to an HTPC + MadVR. I really love how well it does with 1080p Blu-ray as well. Colour and contrast + brightness is fantastic.

As for the Auto-Iris, I found that changing it from ‘Fast’ to ‘Normal’ solved it for me, and now I never even notice it working. It makes the iris a lot less aggressive, as I’m quite sensitive to that. No issues with Normal and I can’t even remember the last time I heard it. Hope that helps!
I am not saying this is a better projector than the X9500 but it does HDR better for sure and is unbeatable value, it does come close to the JVC IMO at 1/3 of the price. The lens is also sharp as edge edge which is unheard of at this price point.
I guess I'm just used to better irises as even in normal mode it is too noticeable for me and the fan is way to noisy in high mode however the PJ is so bright that I don't need to use it at all.
Tonight I will be experimenting with Madvr SDR/WCG. Overall I am very surprised with this PJ. I simply was not expecting this sort of image quality at this price point. I can't wait for Epson's native 4K laser line up. I did love the LS10K.
BillyBarcode` and Xavier3 like this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is online now  
post #18947 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Juboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
What about bright cinema

That's what I use with the HDR settings I use for almost all of my HDR viewing.

I am able to directly compare the PJ image next to my LG OLED screen playing the same content and although it's clearly not as impressive as the TV image, it really isn't as far off as one might expect.
Superman2 likes this.
Juboy is offline  
post #18948 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
john hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
What about bright cinema or even dynamic??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Way to inaccurate to start with and do not pass P3 gamut.
john hunter is offline  
post #18949 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post
Way to inaccurate to start with and do not pass P3 gamut.


Well darn, because I can’t watch HDR without either of those two. I’m using epson4010 and Panasonic 420 with HDR optimizer on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superman2 is offline  
post #18950 of 19070 Old 02-25-2020, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Brettmckinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You should be able to use Digital Cinema with the 420 but turning the dynamic range setting up to 6 or 8. This brings the overall brightness at similar levels as bright cinema but you get WCG.



Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
BillyBarcode` likes this.
Brettmckinney is offline  
post #18951 of 19070 Old 02-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmckinney View Post
You should be able to use Digital Cinema with the 420 but turning the dynamic range setting up to 6 or 8. This brings the overall brightness at similar levels as bright cinema but you get WCG.



Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk


I must be doing something wrong cause the 420 slider is at 8 and it’s too dim compared to Bright Cinema or even Natural.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superman2 is offline  
post #18952 of 19070 Old 02-26-2020, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
I must be doing something wrong cause the 420 slider is at 8 and it’s too dim compared to Bright Cinema or even Natural.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My Epson 4010 has 4 HDR settings too but I leave it at auto bright (hdr 1).

I wrote off HDR for a projector to be honest but I am trying to ensure that I’ve exhausted all ways around it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Superman2; 02-26-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Superman2 is offline  
post #18953 of 19070 Old 02-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Member
 
clhug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQWil View Post
Well this is a official epson reseller i called Epson for a filter replacement and they told me to order it from.

https://compassmicro.com/products/pr...ma-5040ub.html

but i wouldn't buy a 5040ub bulb for 250$ that would be my last resort .
my pj only lasted 1k hr but i still have another 2-3 bulb laying around from Epson promotion and another one i got from Epson. 3 in total well now only 2.

I would also say this is OEM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Epson-H...EAAOSwHUhaClhI

Now that i'm wondering did my bulb really only last 1007hr or when i went to clean the pj it probably got loose XD.
Im going to have to check if the bulb is truly dead.
Somebody also suggested B&H photo, and I'd trust them, and they do indeed carry it, but at $299.

Ultimately, that compassmicro price of $250 IS the cheapest I can find of what I trust to be a true OEM lamp. So that's probably where I'll end up ordering from.

That ebay item is not an OEM. The detailed description clearly says that it is a generic housing. I want a complete, original Epson OEM unit, housing and bulb.

Looks like the rumored days of the $99 price for these that I read about in other posts in this forum are long gone.
old corps and PQWil like this.
clhug is offline  
post #18954 of 19070 Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Brettmckinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
I must be doing something wrong cause the 420 slider is at 8 and it’s too dim compared to Bright Cinema or even Natural.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I get home I'll send you my full settings to try!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Superman2 likes this.
Brettmckinney is offline  
post #18955 of 19070 Old 02-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Member
 
SRTpusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I finally took the plunge. Hopefully I stay out of projector roulette hell.

This is going to replace my epson 2030 that I bought as a factory refurb 5 years ago. I use a shield (2017 model) as my source to run a media server with my content.

To get the most out of 4k HDR source material, I'm going to need to run an HDMI cord approximately 20 ft as my current setup is wireless.

My full run would be

3ft from shield to onkyo tx-nr1030
3ft from onkyo to wall plate (does not have to be a plate as this is an internal wall.
20 ft (up wall, across ceiling) to a wall plate in ceiling - this one would be needed as there is insulation above the ceiling (I guess I could seal a box and still use a passthrough plate)

1 ft from ceiling plate to projector

I will be doing the runs myself.

Has anyone done a similar run and how successful were you at keeping the 4k / HDR signal?

I ask because I have a 4k TV in my living room where I was not able to make the DirecTV > AV > wall plate > up wall > wall plate > tv and it would not pass the 4k signal.

Eliminating just one of the wall plates (didn't matter which one) would cause it to work.

I know to test the setup before doing the wiring, but just trying to get some input from people who may have run across this already.

Home Theater / Game Room

110" Elite Screens Spectrum motorized screen - Epson 2030
Atmos 7.2.4 - Onkyo TX-NR1030 - Onkyo M-5010 2ch amp - Fluance XL Fronts, Center and Surrounds, Rear Monoprice 4101 8" kevlar in-wall, Ceiling Yamaha NS-IW280CWH - Subs 2x NXG Technology NX-BAS-500
SRTpusher is offline  
post #18956 of 19070 Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug View Post
Somebody also suggested B&H photo, and I'd trust them, and they do indeed carry it, but at $299.

Ultimately, that compassmicro price of $250 IS the cheapest I can find of what I trust to be a true OEM lamp. So that's probably where I'll end up ordering from.

That ebay item is not an OEM. The detailed description clearly says that it is a generic housing. I want a complete, original Epson OEM unit, housing and bulb.

Looks like the rumored days of the $99 price for these that I read about in other posts in this forum are long gone.
I had the same concern as you but I ordered one from Compass a couple months ago and it IS an OEM lamp. Excellent communication and FAST shipping. The ARE an approved Epson dealer.
Hope this helps!

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #18957 of 19070 Old 02-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Member
 
clhug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
I had the same concern as you but I ordered one from Compass a couple months ago and it IS an OEM lamp. Excellent communication and FAST shipping. The ARE an approved Epson dealer.
Hope this helps!

Ed
Compassmicro isn't who had the concern with. It was the ebay listing that the person who replied to my original post had given a link to. That poster said they thought the ebay one was OEM and it definitely is not.

Compassmicro is probably who I'll buy from. B&H Photo also has them and I trust, but their price is $299. (And I did find the lamp on Epson's own site finally, at $330.) So the $250 from Compassmicro is the least cost I've found for what I believe is a true OEM lamp.
clhug is offline  
post #18958 of 19070 Old 02-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Member
 
gangrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The lamp on my epson 8350 died a while back and I have been using my old sony HS60 for the last month. Just ordered a refurb 5040ub. Hopefully I wont have issues, but am prepared to deal with them if they arise. My 8350 was a refurb unit and I had no issues at all. Really looking forward to the 5040ub.

I must say that the HS60 has blacker blacks than the 8350, but the 8350 had much better shadow detail. After using the 1080p 8350 for so many years the screen door on the 720p HS60 is very noticeable. Will be fun to see how much better the 5040ub is overall.
gangrew is offline  
post #18959 of 19070 Old 02-27-2020, 06:04 PM
Member
 
vikes88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
5040ub upconversion and video processing?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 5040ub as an upgrade to my epson 8345 but my internet is limited to like 9mb/s down. I have no problem buying a panasonic 420 or possibly building an htpc but if I want to buy 4k movies it might as well be discs and that is not too practical (we usually only plan ahead like 3-4 hours and then stream). 2 questions:


1. Is there a practical way to do some sort of download and play for me?



2. If I just stream 1080p from my roku ultra, directv or other preferred device, how does the 5040ub do for upconversion and video processing?
vikes88 is offline  
post #18960 of 19070 Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
ok didn't know the one from ebay was not OEM good to know, but yeah compassmicro is the way to go i guess, but yeah i got 3 original bulb sent from epson, even though the refurb 5040ub bulb i got from epson only lasted 1007 hr. So i guess they reset the projector timer . These have been sent from Epson So i got a few years worth of bulb, i'll probably upgrade before i use them all probably a 5050ub when they cost less then 2k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200227_215304.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2691030  
PQWil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos , filter

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off