Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 636 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27231Likes

post #19051 of 19108 Old 03-21-2020, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is more of a prepping question for the quarantine. I will also state that I am a fairly new owner of a refurb 5040ub as of December.

Would it be a good idea to pick up an extra bulb now since the projector is starting to get some heavy use from the whole family (Currently the bulb has a couple hundred hrs)?

And then next question is with regards to bulbs, get it directly from epson, or an OEM replacement from one of the online retailers?

Cheers and stay safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19052 of 19108 Old 03-21-2020, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveas View Post
This is more of a prepping question for the quarantine. I will also state that I am a fairly new owner of a refurb 5040ub as of December.

Would it be a good idea to pick up an extra bulb now since the projector is starting to get some heavy use from the whole family (Currently the bulb has a couple hundred hrs)?

And then next question is with regards to bulbs, get it directly from epson, or an OEM replacement from one of the online retailers?

Cheers and stay safe.
You are going to need a bulb sooner or later, right? Since China manufacturing has been on the blink for >2 months, one could expect a hole in the supply of things made in china. I don't know where the epson bulbs are manufactured, but I decided two weeks ago to get an extra OEM Epson replacement bulb for the reasons you mention above.
sddp likes this.
post #19053 of 19108 Old 03-21-2020, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by da55id View Post
You are going to need a bulb sooner or later, right? Since China manufacturing has been on the blink for >2 months, one could expect a hole in the supply of things made in china. I don't know where the epson bulbs are manufactured, but I decided two weeks ago to get an extra OEM Epson replacement bulb for the reasons you mention above.
From what you both wrote, looks like I should get one too, what is everyone's thoughts on this:

https://www.amazon.com/YOSUN-V13H010...4817631&sr=8-3

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19054 of 19108 Old 03-22-2020, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkey View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can check my math to set my mind at ease. I ordered the 5040ub through the refurbished deal and was just playing around with some calculators that have me thinking its going to be WAY too bright for my room. . . maybe.

I'm attaching screenshots of the numbers. Projector central said I'd be at 83 fL with my current setup. I read a post that Web Projector Calculator is more accurate so I tried that. If I put the projector all the way in the back of the room and use the Lamp Low mode it says I'll be at 36.4 fL ([email protected] hours). It seems like that would be the high end of okay, but I'm seeking reassurance. I never would have imagined I'd be in a situation with a projector that was too bright.

If you're still reading and want back story, my 10 year old Optoma HD20 finally blew it's bulb so I get to upgrade. I was pointed to the refurb deal on another thread. My home theater room is 10 feet wide and 19 feet from the back wall to the projector screen (there's another 3 feet behind the screen to accommodate a door swinging open). It's a 100" elite screens motorized screen I mounted lower than the ceiling. Front row is 10 or 11 feet, second row is 14 feet. I'll put room pics in the next post.

I did some searching throughout this thread and it got me is analysis paralysis so I just had to ask. Thanks for your help.
I am no pro by any stretch, but I have a hard time believing the projector would be too bright. Based on my pitch black room, my 1.0 gain screen and my roughly 17' from the screen I choose not to bother using HDR because of the darkness even with everything ramped up. It appears HDR darkness is a large problem for most - at least with this projector. I think you could be one of the few who may be able to use HDR and really enjoy it, or all these brightness calculators may be out to lunch in the real world. Right now I am running Cinema mode and medium bulb and SDR, and still I feel I have to go to Bright Cinema to see darker movies.

IMO you should give it a shot and see how it all works out. If you still think it's too bright, perhaps you can buy a new screen of lower gain (It's my impression that lower gain usually means better image quality and/or contrast as well). There are some reference 0.8 and 0.9 gain screens out there. Frankly, I don't think it will be too bright, especially with all the settings to play with.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
post #19055 of 19108 Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkey View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can check my math to set my mind at ease. I ordered the 5040ub through the refurbished deal and was just playing around with some calculators that have me thinking its going to be WAY too bright for my room. . . maybe.

I'm attaching screenshots of the numbers. Projector central said I'd be at 83 fL with my current setup. I read a post that Web Projector Calculator is more accurate so I tried that. If I put the projector all the way in the back of the room and use the Lamp Low mode it says I'll be at 36.4 fL ([email protected] hours). It seems like that would be the high end of okay, but I'm seeking reassurance. I never would have imagined I'd be in a situation with a projector that was too bright.

If you're still reading and want back story, my 10 year old Optoma HD20 finally blew it's bulb so I get to upgrade. I was pointed to the refurb deal on another thread. My home theater room is 10 feet wide and 19 feet from the back wall to the projector screen (there's another 3 feet behind the screen to accommodate a door swinging open). It's a 100" elite screens motorized screen I mounted lower than the ceiling. Front row is 10 or 11 feet, second row is 14 feet. I'll put room pics in the next post.

I did some searching throughout this thread and it got me is analysis paralysis so I just had to ask. Thanks for your help.

I think you'll be ok. I have the 5050ub and projectorcentral estimates 93fl but in reality I'm getting 75 nits (~22fL) on a 100" screen with the cinema filter and bulb on medium.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #19056 of 19108 Old 03-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Has anyone got some decent settings for daylight viewing?
post #19057 of 19108 Old 03-24-2020, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all,

I'm a [very] long time member here, but I haven't frequented this forum in a long time (until recently). My Epson 8350 started complaining a month or two ago about the bulb needing replacement. The projector's bulb had gotten noticeably dimmer over time, and I had some dust blobs. But I was also considering downsizing my house and figured that in my next house I'd probably just switch to a super-sized flat-screen TV. But then my 8350's bulb flat-out died, coronavirus hit, and I changed my plans and bought a refurb 5040UB, which arrived today.

My first impressions:
- Motorized/automated zoom/focus/lens-shift is so nice. I have a custom-made Da-Lite Hi-Power (2nd gen) 2.34:1 screen. My projector is mounted less than 2 feet above/behind my head, so I would reach back to focus/zoom/shift my 8350, which was fine, but using my remote to switch lens presets is a sweet luxury.
- Picture quality using default Cinema mode looks fantastic. Colors and detail are awesome. The brightness is awesome, too, though I don't know how much of that is because of the upgrade vs my 8350's bulb just having gotten much dimmer over time. Either way, that's great, too.

After setting up and using for a bit, some concerns:
- There's a noticeable buzzing sound. I did a search in this thread and found a few others reporting this, and some indication that this could be a defect of a small number of units. When watching a show with the audio at a normal level, the buzzing becomes less noticeable (and, I think, acceptable - though this is the first/only thing my wife has complained about), and my projector is probably a *LOT* closer to my head/ear than the average person's mounting location. But my 8350 didn't have this, so it makes me sad. Anything I can/should do about this?
- This was a refurb and I was disappointed to see it came out of the box with about 800 hours on the bulb. That seems awfully high. Is that acceptable for an Epson refurb?
- The automatic focus/zoom/shift doesn't seem to be 100% accurate. I switch presets and it's not lined up exactly where I had it set when I saved it. So I adjusted and resaved. We'll see how that goes. But for anyone like me using this with a fixed-height widescreen setup, is this normal? If so, do you just tweak it manually every time you change presets?

So, a little bit of a mixed bag so far, but overall I'm quite happy. As far as the buzzing goes, I might be able to get my wife to agree to let me move it a bit farther above/back, which would minimize that (it would involve placing it on top of our dining room buffet, so she might not go for that - if so, I can live with the buzzing, so long as it doesn't get worse).

Oh, a couple of other questions...

1) When the projector arrived, it hit me that I might not have the proper HDMI cable. I had bought an extra-long HDMI cable for my current install several years ago, so I wasn't sure if it was up-to-snuff for 4K standards. I demoed some stuff with my Apple TV, and when I go to the "Projector Info" screen, it's showing the resolution as 3840x2160, so does that mean that my current cable is fine?
2) Possibly related to that first question...The first thing that happened when I "booted up" the projector is that my Apple TV displayed a screen indicating that it wanted to test the signal for HDR compatibility. I clicked OK and the screen went blank for a minute, and then switched back to basically indicate that apparently it *wasn't* compatible with HDR. So does this indicate that my HDMI cable is too old, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #19058 of 19108 Old 03-25-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post
- There's a noticeable buzzing sound. I did a search in this thread and found a few others reporting this, and some indication that this could be a defect of a small number of units. When watching a show with the audio at a normal level, the buzzing becomes less noticeable (and, I think, acceptable - though this is the first/only thing my wife has complained about), and my projector is probably a *LOT* closer to my head/ear than the average person's mounting location. But my 8350 didn't have this, so it makes me sad. Anything I can/should do about this?
- This was a refurb and I was disappointed to see it came out of the box with about 800 hours on the bulb. That seems awfully high. Is that acceptable for an Epson refurb?
- The automatic focus/zoom/shift doesn't seem to be 100% accurate. I switch presets and it's not lined up exactly where I had it set when I saved it. So I adjusted and resaved. We'll see how that goes. But for anyone like me using this with a fixed-height widescreen setup, is this normal? If so, do you just tweak it manually every time you change presets?

1) When the projector arrived, it hit me that I might not have the proper HDMI cable. I had bought an extra-long HDMI cable for my current install several years ago, so I wasn't sure if it was up-to-snuff for 4K standards. I demoed some stuff with my Apple TV, and when I go to the "Projector Info" screen, it's showing the resolution as 3840x2160, so does that mean that my current cable is fine?
2) Possibly related to that first question...The first thing that happened when I "booted up" the projector is that my Apple TV displayed a screen indicating that it wanted to test the signal for HDR compatibility. I clicked OK and the screen went blank for a minute, and then switched back to basically indicate that apparently it *wasn't* compatible with HDR. So does this indicate that my HDMI cable is too old, or something else?
I have not noticed a buzzing from mine, but I sit about 4 feet in front and below so I may miss some noises. Some people have reported/observed the IRIS noise depending on the setting of it. I would poke around or wait for a response from someone commenting on the iris settings that may address this noise which may be considered normal. I believe the setting that contributes to this is the IRIS speed normal/fast. If memory serves, the FAST setting really doesn't help and is louder, whilst the NORMAL setting performs just fine and is quieter. (Others chime in here).

I too and others have noticed the lens memory not being bang-on. My guess is that this is very normal. My guess is that there can really only be so many segments on the pickups that determine positioning. Even though we set the position through servo motor to a specific spot, it can probably only record the position in so many increments and may end up recording a position to one side or the other of the perfect position. I would imagine if the screen position were ever so slightly different in some of our setups that we would never have an issue - just a matter of CM or Inches and the lens motor design.

I have a no-name 40`cable which appears to be just fine. Cannot tell if HDMI cables are over-rated or if I just got lucky. Admittedly, I don`t think I stress it out because I am staying within the 18mbps signal which is the maximum of the 5040. I would imagine if I started messing with higher bit-rates and bandwidths I may see failures. We appear to be ok with the lower capacity of the 5040.

I only use BR disk in my theater currently, others may chime in here. But if I understand past posts about appleTV, you are very likely running into incompatibility due to the again-18mbps bandwith and the AppleTV frame-rates. Anything over 24fps HDR is incompatible with the 5040 and your AppleTV is likely using 60fps if memory serves.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.

Last edited by marcosphoto; 03-25-2020 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Grammer, formatting and details
post #19059 of 19108 Old 03-25-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
There is a known issue with having the 4K enhancement enabled with 60 Hz input signals. Check to see if this applies in your situation. See Morty's post above.
Quote:
Having done a little footwork for you, I also noticed prior postings regarding noise complaints and come up with another option, noise created from 4K enhancement. There are numerous comments on the forum relating to a combination of 60Hz and 4K enhancement causing this noise, possibly from the glass vibrating to create the eShift. This again would warrant a noise condition that is likely normal, albeit disappointing to some. One poster said his did it but went away over time - although they did not mention how many hours it took. Maybe turn off the 4K enhancement and see if it goes away. However I would say that we are slowly connecting dots between your AppleTV 60Hz/fps and several of your other observations. I may be mixing up some of my info here between 60Hz or FPS, I imagine others will come onboard to start correcting me.

post #19060 of 19108 Old 03-25-2020, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone have any advice on a 4k Blu ray player to pair with my 6050UB.

-4K and dolby atmos support required.

-Good smart tv interface would be a plus! If no good options here i will purchase a Apple TV4k.

-Should i rely on the projector to uscale? Or the Bluray player?

Thanks in advance!
post #19061 of 19108 Old 03-25-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
The noise can be either the 4K enhancement which is the same on all brands not just the Epson, my JVC was a whole lot noisier than the Epson, however it could also be the iris which is noisiest I ever heard on any projector. Not much can be done about either unfortunately.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #19062 of 19108 Old 03-25-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduesd View Post
Anyone have any advice on a 4k Blu ray player to pair with my 6050UB.

-4K and dolby atmos support required.

-Good smart tv interface would be a plus! If no good options here i will purchase a Apple TV4k.

-Should i rely on the projector to uscale? Or the Bluray player?

Thanks in advance!

The Panasonic 420 for the BD/4K player and the Epson does a great job of upscaling. My 6040 does an excellent job.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #19063 of 19108 Old 03-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
The Panasonic 420 for the BD/4K player and the Epson does a great job of upscaling. My 6040 does an excellent job.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
The 420 is the bargain of the year!
inspector and covsound1 like this.
post #19064 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone else have a Panasonic DP-UB820 paired with an Epson 5040UB?

I don’t know why, but I am relatively new to the 4K Blu-ray game and I can’t seem to tell the difference between Blu-ray’s and 4K Blu-ray’s on my projector.

I know projectors don’t have the brightness that tvs do, so is 4K material wasted on a “faux K” projector like the 5040UB? I think the picture looks good, just not as different as what I was expecting. I’ve heard brightness is really important for HDR which is obviously a big limitation of projectors.
post #19065 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Go back some pages and get the settings for NATURAL UHD. Then go to the 420/820 thread and look at those settings. 1080 looks great, but using the 820/420, 4K HDR looks excellent.

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #19066 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Go back some pages and get the settings for NATURAL UHD. Then go to the 420/820 thread and look at those settings. 1080 looks great, but using the 820/420, 4K HDR looks excellent.
Is there someone’s settings that are called Natural UHD in both this forum and the Panasonic forum?
post #19067 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,
I've had my 5030ub since Oct.2013 and for the most part I've been happy with it, but the bulb blew-up tonight. The contrast, brightness and refurbished prices for the 5040ub look attractive, but the cost is still a lot more than $120 for a non OEM bulb. This would be my second non-OEM bulb from the same company (Pureland Supply), of which this one lasted longer than the OEM ( 2.5 years and 2200 hours on Eco as opposed to 3.5 years, 3000+ hours, I'll check when I can). That said, I'm only streaming content from Amazon, Google Play and YouTube and I'm wondering if I'll see a $1100 performance upgrade between the 5030 and 5040. I guess it's like choosing between a 5030 for $120 and a 5040 for $1200 (the Epson.com refurbished ones). Is there anything I shoud be looking at in the same price range that will make me say - WOW! This was definitely worthnot replacing the lamp - I didn't know what I was missing!
I should say that there are times when I definitely notice how dark the movie/image is, but I loathe to switch to a high brightness because of the louder sound - those are my biggest gripes.

Thank you for your thoughts!

phillip
post #19068 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverey06 View Post
Is there someone’s settings that are called Natural UHD in both this forum and the Panasonic forum?
Hi Dave,

Tomorrow I’ll try to send you my NATURAL UHD settings and my 420 settings.

Hope they help you and see how this PJ shines.

John
post #19069 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Is there someone’️s settings that are called Natural UHD in both this forum and the Panasonic forum?
Hi Dave,

Tomorrow I’️ll try to send you my NATURAL UHD settings and my 420 settings.

Hope they help you and see how this PJ shines.

John
John, thanks very much! If you are saying you primarily use the Natural preset on the Epson though, I do have a question. Everywhere I have read that the Digital Cinema mode is the only mode worth considering when viewing HDR content. Are you of a different opinion, and if so why?
post #19070 of 19108 Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One needs to use Digital cinema to take full advantage of the Rec 2020/DCI color space and watch movies as intended by the mastering studios.
avtoronto likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #19071 of 19108 Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Everywhere I have read that the Digital Cinema mode is the only mode worth considering when viewing HDR content. Are you of a different opinion, and if so why?
Not John. But my opinion.
Digital Cinema adds the Cinema filter and gives you better color. But you lose brightness due to the filter. I feel like I lose about half of the lumens on this mode.

I have come to the conclusion I prefer a brighter vibrant picture compared to darker but colorful picture. And since then have stuck with non filter modes. Also I don't use HDR since the image becomes even darker.

I experimented with both HDR and non HDR modes using same content and is yet to see a movie where I liked the HDR version on this projector vs the without HDR version. I use madvr to tonemap HDR. But even after that I prefer it without the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19072 of 19108 Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's not "better color" its accurate color as the director intended.
This PJ so bright I am perfectly happy with the brightness watching UHD HDR in Ditigal Cinema mode on mid lamp mode.
covsound1 likes this.

post #19073 of 19108 Old 03-28-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great, could you put out those settings for Digital?
post #19074 of 19108 Old 03-28-2020, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Should I go for the 5040UB refurb?

Hi all,

I've been using my BenQ W1070 over the past 7 years and still am very happy with it. My setting is I have a HT room / mancave in my basement with a 100" screen, the room is light controlled but walls are light-coloured. I mostly watch sports and movies.

Over the past few months I've been itching for a 4k projector upgrade. Afterall, most of my TVs at home have been upgraded to 4k (naturally, when the old TVs died) over the past few years, but the biggest screen in the house - the PJ screen, is still rocking HD only. I am sorta hoping for significant improvement in sports watching upgrading from a 7 yrs old entry level HD PJ (a very capable one, mind you) to a brand new 4k PJ.

I was considering the upgrade to BenQ HT3550 (exact same throw ratio, and that i've been very happy with BenQ) but while waiting for deals on the 3550, I realized I can have a refurb Epson 5040UB for ~ the same price. (around CDN$1.5k)

Right now I'm on the fence with the 5040UB for a few reasons ...

- $1.5k is a few hundred bucks over my original budget

- I mainly buy the 4k PJ for sports, and right now, there is no sports to watch ... I could easily wait a few months before spending the $$ on the upgrade and not miss anything

- there aren't THAT much 4k content available to me. It's mainly the 4k contents on Netflix, and 4k sports ... and not every game and every movie is available in 4k. I can see maybe 15% of the content I actually like to watch are in 4k. I mainly stream video contents and don't see myself spending a lot of $$ on buying 4k discs

- I am not 100% sure about paying $1.5k for a refurb product, and there is no refund for Epson Canada for refurb so the 'buy now, think later' option is not available

- A lesser point, but going from W1070 to 5040UB would mean I need to move the ceiling mount back by ~ 1 ft so I gotta do some work in patching and painting the ceiling

So, all in all I'm just looking for some feedbacks from 5040UB users, how much of an 'upgrade' is it coming from something like the W1070, and what's your experience with refurb PJ?

Also, does 5040UB improve the motion blur for sports? I find that the motion blur is pretty significant when watching hockey on W1070, wonder if the 5040 is better for fast motion in sports

Any feedback helps!
post #19075 of 19108 Old 03-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Hello all. I have been getting different recommendations as to how to get the best picture out of my Epson 5040UB paired with a Panasonic DP-UB820, and I have a question. Many have said to get the best color on this projector you have to set the output to BT2020 SDR. I find this odd and when I changed it back to BT2020 HDR I found the color to look much more vibrant with the HDR output. Am I crazy? Why do people recommend SDR when it in my opinion clearly has inferior color?
post #19076 of 19108 Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello all. I have been getting different recommendations as to how to get the best picture out of my Epson 5040UB paired with a Panasonic DP-UB820, and I have a question. Many have said to get the best color on this projector you have to set the output to BT2020 SDR. I find this odd and when I changed it back to BT2020 HDR I found the color to look much more vibrant with the HDR output. Am I crazy? Why do people recommend SDR when it in my opinion clearly has inferior color?

PM sent.

post #19077 of 19108 Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm a [very] long time member here, but I haven't frequented this forum in a long time (until recently). My Epson 8350 started complaining a month or two ago about the bulb needing replacement. The projector's bulb had gotten noticeably dimmer over time, and I had some dust blobs. But I was also considering downsizing my house and figured that in my next house I'd probably just switch to a super-sized flat-screen TV. But then my 8350's bulb flat-out died, coronavirus hit, and I changed my plans and bought a refurb 5040UB, which arrived today.

My first impressions:
- Motorized/automated zoom/focus/lens-shift is so nice. I have a custom-made Da-Lite Hi-Power (2nd gen) 2.34:1 screen. My projector is mounted less than 2 feet above/behind my head, so I would reach back to focus/zoom/shift my 8350, which was fine, but using my remote to switch lens presets is a sweet luxury.
- Picture quality using default Cinema mode looks fantastic. Colors and detail are awesome. The brightness is awesome, too, though I don't know how much of that is because of the upgrade vs my 8350's bulb just having gotten much dimmer over time. Either way, that's great, too.

So, a little bit of a mixed bag so far, but overall I'm quite happy. As far as the buzzing goes, I might be able to get my wife to agree to let me move it a bit farther above/back, which would minimize that (it would involve placing it on top of our dining room buffet, so she might not go for that - if so, I can live with the buzzing, so long as it doesn't get worse).

Oh, a couple of other questions...

Thanks in advance!

Lol 800 hours on the bulb? Wow they really arent even checking these now are they. You should have a fresh bulb, all three of my refurbs did.i would imagine they will probably send you a new bulbmifnyou ask, rather than ship the unit back for another. Depends on how lucky you got with your unit. I had to send out for 3, the third one is perfect cept for a pink hue at the very top right of the screen. I'll live with it for now, maybe might get a 5050 in a hear who knows.

I replaced my 8350 after trying to remove all the dust blobs and screwed it up. And yes I was blown away by the detail on 1080p alone. Cant really tell the difference between 4k and 1080p on 120 inch screen 10 feet back.
post #19078 of 19108 Old 03-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

I don’t know why, but I am relatively new to the 4K Blu-ray game and I can’t seem to tell the difference between Blu-ray’s and 4K Blu-ray’s on my projector.

I know projectors don’t have the brightness that tvs do, so is 4K material wasted on a “faux K” projector like the 5040UB? I think the picture looks good, just not as different as what I was expecting. I’ve heard brightness is really important for HDR which is obviously a big limitation of projectors.
Its not just you. A lot of us cant see a difference between 1080p and 4k, I spent hours a and b it and I couldn't. 1080p upscaled looks just as good to me. Hdr was also a waste of time after all the time messing with setti gs.
post #19079 of 19108 Old 03-29-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
Not John. But my opinion.
Digital Cinema adds the Cinema filter and gives you better color. But you lose brightness due to the filter. I feel like I lose about half of the lumens on this mode.

I have come to the conclusion I prefer a brighter vibrant picture compared to darker but colorful picture. And since then have stuck with non filter modes. Also I don't use HDR since the image becomes even darker.

I experimented with both HDR and non HDR modes using same content and is yet to see a movie where I liked the HDR version on this projector vs the without HDR version. I use madvr to tonemap HDR. But even after that I prefer it without the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much what I have found to be the best setup for hdr too.

The hdr modes on the pj are miserable imo.

5040 in natural mode and medium lamp and then let madVR do its magic for dynamic tone mapping = the best HDR experience the 5040 can offer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
jbnpaul likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #19080 of 19108 Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastditch View Post
Quote:

I don’️t know why, but I am relatively new to the 4K Blu-ray game and I can’️t seem to tell the difference between Blu-ray’️s and 4K Blu-ray’️s on my projector.

I know projectors don’️t have the brightness that tvs do, so is 4K material wasted on a “faux K” projector like the 5040UB? I think the picture looks good, just not as different as what I was expecting. I’️ve heard brightness is really important for HDR which is obviously a big limitation of projectors.
Its not just you. A lot of us cant see a difference between 1080p and 4k, I spent hours a and b it and I couldn't. 1080p upscaled looks just as good to me. Hdr was also a waste of time after all the time messing with setti gs.
Do you think that it’s only hard to tell the difference on a faux K projector or would it look more noticeably different on a true 4K projector?

Also can you notice a difference between 4K and 1080p on a tv? I’ve seen 4K tvs in the store and I can tell their displays look better than my 1080p tv.

Do you think HDR is noticeable on a tv vs a projector?

Also what do you mean by a and b it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos , filter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page