I've been using my BenQ W1070 over the past 7 years and still am very happy with it. My setting is I have a HT room / mancave in my basement with a 100" screen, the room is light controlled but walls are light-coloured. I mostly watch sports and movies.
Over the past few months I've been itching for a 4k projector upgrade. Afterall, most of my TVs at home have been upgraded to 4k (naturally, when the old TVs died) over the past few years, but the biggest screen in the house - the PJ screen, is still rocking HD only. I am sorta hoping for significant improvement in sports watching upgrading from a 7 yrs old entry level HD PJ (a very capable one, mind you) to a brand new 4k PJ.
I was considering the upgrade to BenQ HT3550 (exact same throw ratio, and that i've been very happy with BenQ) but while waiting for deals on the 3550, I realized I can have a refurb Epson 5040UB for ~ the same price. (around CDN$1.5k)
Right now I'm on the fence with the 5040UB for a few reasons ...
- $1.5k is a few hundred bucks over my original budget
- I mainly buy the 4k PJ for sports, and right now, there is no sports to watch
... I could easily wait a few months before spending the $$ on the upgrade and not miss anything
- there aren't THAT much 4k content available to me. It's mainly the 4k contents on Netflix, and 4k sports ... and not every game and every movie is available in 4k. I can see maybe 15% of the content I actually like to watch are in 4k. I mainly stream video contents and don't see myself spending a lot of $$ on buying 4k discs
- I am not 100% sure about paying $1.5k for a refurb product, and there is no refund for Epson Canada for refurb so the 'buy now, think later' option is not available
- A lesser point, but going from W1070 to 5040UB would mean I need to move the ceiling mount back by ~ 1 ft so I gotta do some work in patching and painting the ceiling
So, all in all I'm just looking for some feedbacks from 5040UB users, how much of an 'upgrade' is it coming from something like the W1070, and what's your experience with refurb PJ?
Also, does 5040UB improve the motion blur for sports? I find that the motion blur is pretty significant when watching hockey on W1070, wonder if the 5040 is better for fast motion in sports
Any feedback helps!