Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26963Likes

post #1891 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Can anyone explain the difference between Cinema and Digital Cinema? I read that digital cinema is similar to what a movie theater would project, but not sure exactly what that means. Also, I think Natural looks, well...more natural, but I've read posts recommending the cinema settings due to use of DCI P3. Is there that much of a difference in the color gamut? Is it a greater difference when viewing rec 709 v BT 2020?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
installed my TW9300 today and dang I got visible purple dot that appear on white background. need to contact the retailer to figure this out, looks like more than one pixel.

post #1893 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
It's funny how we feel like oddballs when it's a feature that comes with tv's. Obviously it's there for a reason right?? Lol.

I'm not sure either why FI isn't available with 4K. Just seems like something they intentionally left out to make next years model a little more appealing to upgrade to. I had the 5020 and hated that FI wasnt avaiable in 3D. That's the reason I jumped to the 5030. Can't give us everything we want in a projector.

It's not that I prefer the SDR over HDR. I really like how HDR looks on this projector. The HDR looked phenomenal with the new XMEN Apocalypse. But after watching half of it in 4K HDR, I switched the player to 1080p with my settings and it looked just as good. One of the key things I found to make the colors pop and look very very saturated was changing to BT 2020. Yes at first it looks overblown, but after you tweak some settings, it looks amazing. Took me some time but I got it. I assume about 95% of the people on here would hate them, they look great to my eyes. I just wish there was a way to get 4K HDR with FI on this projector. I would pay for them to release an update that would allow for it to be used in 4K.

Are you saying to change to BT 2020 on HDR content only, or on SDR as well? I've been playing with settings and notice more pop in SDR content when changing to BT 2020, but know that the colors are oversaturated. What type of setting changes did you make in order to make the BT 2020 look good?

I thought that it was best to leave the color space on Auto so it matches the source color output. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
What content / player are you using on your PC?
The only ones that work for me are the nvidia HDR demo and Shadow Warriors 2 (first PC game to support HDR).

Netflix / Youtube doesn't currently support HDR output via PC.
I've played around with MadVR as well but can't seem to get it to output bt 2020.
I use Kodi as my main player - it doesn't yet output 10-bit video. It looks like MadVR will output 10-bit, would be interested to hear your experience with it. I installed the latest beta of Kodi 17 to take advantage of hardware-accelerated HEVC; seems like I should downgrade to Kodi 16 with DSPlayer and attempt to use MadVR. I think this would also allow me to watch MKVs with a 3D MVC layer in Kodi (which currently I use MPC-HC w/ MadVR to watch). Seems like it would be worth the effort to test, anyway.

Where can I find the nvidia HDR demo?
post #1895 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To those current 5040/6040 owners, a couple of questions.

Just digging through threads trying to decide on a poser 4k projector or wait a couple of years for a cheaper true 4k. Have a 5030 right now and very happy with it, but would love more detail and not see the pixels on my 120" screen.

Unlike most people, on the Epson I just love the FI setting, and keep it cranked to max, as to me it doesn't really have the extreme soap opera effect pop that flat panels do. And in movies and 3D it really makes a difference when smoothing out the fast action that looks really choppy at 24 fps.

I just wanted to confirm that the FI works the same on 1080 sources as the 5030 does, but on uhd/4k sources it only works on 24 fps material. And a 4k movie at 24 fps would have double the resolution as 1080 but also able to obtain the smoothing of the FI effect. Is this correct?

Secondly, if the FI doesn't work with 4k input at 60 fps such as Netflix, then does the 60 fps help smooth out the uhd picture enough at the higher resolution, effectively 'simulating' a FI setting and avoiding the chopiness of 24 fps?

I'm not that concerned about HDR right now, though it would be nice, so the throttled chips of the 5040 doesn't bother me too much. Yet. Would the 5040ube wireless with it's extra 10.x.x setting be worth the extra dough?

Finally, a couple of reviews say that there is virtually no cross talk in 3D. Those of you who have watched 3D have you seen any cross talk? Is it similar to the 5020/30 if you had one?

I guess that's it, thanks for any info!
post #1896 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
Can anyone explain the difference between Cinema and Digital Cinema? I read that digital cinema is similar to what a movie theater would project, but not sure exactly what that means. Also, I think Natural looks, well...more natural, but I've read posts recommending the cinema settings due to use of DCI P3. Is there that much of a difference in the color gamut? Is it a greater difference when viewing rec 709 v BT 2020?
FWIW, I believe that Digital Cinema is the only set that replicates the DCI P3 color space...the rest are BT2020 at best...

Sort of relative brightness...

I believe that these are from a calibrated unit...

Dynamic [email protected] Bright Cinema [email protected] Natural [email protected] Cinema [email protected] (High Bulb [email protected]) B&W Cinema [email protected] Digital Cinema [email protected]
I run mine on Natural for most things...still playing with the settings. I find Cinema a bit dim.

From Epson,

Available Color Modes
You can set the projector to use these Color Modes, depending on the input source you are using:
2D Images
Color Mode Description
Dynamic Best for projecting in a bright room
Natural Best for projecting in a dark room
Bright Cinema Best for projecting in a room with closed curtains
Cinema Best for projecting color movies in a dark room
B&W Cinema Best for projecting black and white movies in a dark room
Digital Cinema Projects using the same color spectrum as digital movie theaters
3D Images
Color Mode Description
3D Dynamic Best for projecting in a bright room
3D Cinema Best for projecting movies in a dark room

I hope that this helps...

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; GE Triton 5; GE XL center; Monitor Audio Gold FX; GE Aon 2; KEF Q50a (top front and rear); SVS PB-12 Plus & SVS NSD-12; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+; Nvidia Shield

Last edited by dvdwilly3; 10-16-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Left something out...
post #1897 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
FWIW, I believe that Digital Cinema is the only set that replicates the DCI P3 color space...the rest are BT2020 at best...

Sort of relative brightness...

I believe that these are from a calibrated unit...

Dynamic [email protected] Bright Cinema [email protected] Natural [email protected] Cinema [email protected] (High Bulb [email protected]) B&W Cinema [email protected] Digital Cinema [email protected]
I run mine on Natural for most things...still playing with the settings. I find Cinema a bit dim.

From Epson,

Available Color Modes
You can set the projector to use these Color Modes, depending on the input source you are using:
2D Images
Color Mode Description
Dynamic Best for projecting in a bright room
Natural Best for projecting in a dark room
Bright Cinema Best for projecting in a room with closed curtains
Cinema Best for projecting color movies in a dark room
B&W Cinema Best for projecting black and white movies in a dark room
Digital Cinema Projects using the same color spectrum as digital movie theaters
3D Images
Color Mode Description
3D Dynamic Best for projecting in a bright room
3D Cinema Best for projecting movies in a dark room

I hope that this helps...

Yes, that's helpful, thanks. I did read the detail from Epson and recall seeing those cal numbers somewhere. So if I have a small, dark theater room that probably has 30fl even on ECO and -20 Iris setting I should be good with using digital cinema? Natural certainly is brighter in my room, and with the Cinema modes I still end up closing Iris to -10 or -15.
post #1898 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Can someone with a 5040ub tell me the size of the lens in diameter?

I'm building a pass through window between two walls for the projector to shine through, and need to know how large of an opening I need to make in the wall.

I was considering cutting a 9inch wide by 8inch tall square opening, but need to make sure that's large enough for the lens to easily project to the screeen. Thanks!
post #1899 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsjohn View Post

Just digging through threads trying to decide on a poser 4k projector or wait a couple of years for a cheaper true 4k. Have a 5030 right now and very happy with it, but would love more detail and not see the pixels on my 120" screen.

Unlike most people, on the Epson I just love the FI setting, and keep it cranked to max, as to me it doesn't really have the extreme soap opera effect pop that flat panels do. And in movies and 3D it really makes a difference when smoothing out the fast action that looks really choppy at 24 fps.

I just wanted to confirm that the FI works the same on 1080 sources as the 5030 does, but on uhd/4k sources it only works on 24 fps material. And a 4k movie at 24 fps would have double the resolution as 1080 but also able to obtain the smoothing of the FI effect. Is this correct?

Secondly, if the FI doesn't work with 4k input at 60 fps such as Netflix, then does the 60 fps help smooth out the uhd picture enough at the higher resolution, effectively 'simulating' a FI setting and avoiding the chopiness of 24 fps?

I'm not that concerned about HDR right now, though it would be nice, so the throttled chips of the 5040 doesn't bother me too much. Yet. Would the 5040ube wireless with it's extra 10.x.x setting be worth the extra dough?

Finally, a couple of reviews say that there is virtually no cross talk in 3D. Those of you who have watched 3D have you seen any cross talk? Is it similar to the 5020/30 if you had one?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is Epson disables F.I. for ANY kind of 4K input signal, ANY, so whether it be coming from streaming or UHD, 24 or 60 fps, it locks F.I. out for 4K input signals.

I've read a lot of reviews and posts on the 5040 and take interest in what people say about its 3D since I like 3D but the conclusion I came to is it's about the same as the 5030 (which is what I own) that it does very good 3D but some 3D will set off some crosstalk. It's nice that Epson provides settings for 3D depth and brightness to be able to minimize ghosting but I usually push these settings pretty high and only adjust them while watching a 3D disc if the crosstalk appears pretty frequently. I love how bright the 5030 is with 3D.
post #1900 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy365 View Post
I'm projecting 100" from 11' on my first screen and 150" from 25' on my second screen and both look excellent.

I find it interesting that you mention a sweet spot as I was always under the impression that the sweet spot was as close to the screen as possible to get the most amount of lumens on the screen. The distance you mentioned is only a foot away from the closest you can be for 100".
I've read it's best not to get too close to the lower or upper range of the throw limits of a projector because too close can create hotspots and too far the projector looses brightness. I guess it depends on the screen, the projector and the room. In my case, I'm considering an EPV DarkStar .9 or SI Black Diamond 1.4 100" ALR and was told getting too close to the lower range could worsen the cons associated with these screens; namely sparkles, hot spots, etc.. EPV claims the DarkStar does not sparkle, but I'm skeptical so I wanted to make sure.

I am still undecided about which projector to get. I saw the JVC RS400 and the 6040 at a Magnolia in Miami and both looked very good. Decisions decisions!!!
post #1901 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techjoy View Post
I've read it's best not to get too close to the lower or upper range of the throw limits of a projector because too close can create hotspots and too far the projector looses brightness. I guess it depends on the screen, the projector and the room. In my case, I'm considering an EPV DarkStar .9 or SI Black Diamond 1.4 100" ALR and was told getting too close to the lower range could worsen the cons associated with these screens; namely sparkles, hot spots, etc.. EPV claims the DarkStar does not sparkle, but I'm skeptical so I wanted to make sure.

I am still undecided about which projector to get. I saw the JVC RS400 and the 6040 at a Magnolia in Miami and both looked very good. Decisions decisions!!!

I've read that as well. So far I haven't seen any issues and I'm at the LOWEST range! . I'm fully zoomed in and just have less than an inch of overlap on my screen borders.
post #1902 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by techjoy View Post

That's what I'm deciding between as well.

I've seen both and the JVC definitely had better blacks, however, the eShift to my eye looked better on the Epson, and I'm concerned on game lag on the JVC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronman79 likes this.
post #1903 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I can let you know in about 2 weeks, going from the 6030 to 6040. I saw pixels on my old 120" screen (Elite screens) and it bothered the crap out of me especially on white scenes. Went to a Stewart 123" (cima I believe) and it made a huge difference. No pixels, very good image. So, not sure if it's just your screen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #1904 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendu View Post
I use Kodi as my main player - it doesn't yet output 10-bit video. It looks like MadVR will output 10-bit, would be interested to hear your experience with it. I installed the latest beta of Kodi 17 to take advantage of hardware-accelerated HEVC; seems like I should downgrade to Kodi 16 with DSPlayer and attempt to use MadVR. I think this would also allow me to watch MKVs with a 3D MVC layer in Kodi (which currently I use MPC-HC w/ MadVR to watch). Seems like it would be worth the effort to test, anyway.

Where can I find the nvidia HDR demo?
go here
https://developer.nvidia.com/hdr-display-sample
post #1905 of 18207 Old 10-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
It's funny how we feel like oddballs when it's a feature that comes with tv's. Obviously it's there for a reason right?? Lol.

I'm not sure either why FI isn't available with 4K. Just seems like something they intentionally left out to make next years model a little more appealing to upgrade to. I had the 5020 and hated that FI wasnt avaiable in 3D. That's the reason I jumped to the 5030. Can't give us everything we want in a projector.

It's not that I prefer the SDR over HDR. I really like how HDR looks on this projector. The HDR looked phenomenal with the new XMEN Apocalypse. But after watching half of it in 4K HDR, I switched the player to 1080p with my settings and it looked just as good. One of the key things I found to make the colors pop and look very very saturated was changing to BT 2020. Yes at first it looks overblown, but after you tweak some settings, it looks amazing. Took me some time but I got it. I assume about 95% of the people on here would hate them, they look great to my eyes. I just wish there was a way to get 4K HDR with FI on this projector. I would pay for them to release an update that would allow for it to be used in 4K.
The oddball feel is because most of us techy, videophile types think it adds an unnatural look to film or movie content. It does. And, as far as it being on all tvs now, so the dynamic, fireball, supernova picture modes. They don't look as the director and video editors intended either. However, these different modes are there because we all have God-given free will and opinions as well! Lol... You should use what you like, and a display that has all these features is bound to have a combination of settings to please most anyone's eyes. With that said, I like FI on stuff like sports. Enjoy your preferences, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
JewDaddy likes this.

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #1906 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana View Post
installed my TW9300 today and dang I got visible purple dot that appear on white background. need to contact the retailer to figure this out, looks like more than one pixel.

anyone knows what is Epson policy toward stuck & dead pixels? I think this dot is 4 pixels, there is also a smaller one the other side.
post #1907 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
anyone knows what is Epson policy toward stuck & dead pixels? I think this dot is 4 pixels, there is also a smaller one the other side.
This looks suspiciously like a dust blob, albeit a very small one.
post #1908 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
This looks suspiciously like a dust blob, albeit a very small one.

this is worth the try! do I have to remove the bulb & maybe use air duster? also is there a way to open the automated lens cover while the projector is off?
post #1909 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is Epson disables F.I. for ANY kind of 4K input signal, ANY, so whether it be coming from streaming or UHD, 24 or 60 fps, it locks F.I. out for 4K input signals.

I've read a lot of reviews and posts on the 5040 and take interest in what people say about its 3D since I like 3D but the conclusion I came to is it's about the same as the 5030 (which is what I own) that it does very good 3D but some 3D will set off some crosstalk......
Bummer on the FI, watching something move across the screen shaking like a leaf makes me barfy. The heck with the director's vision or a century old film format, silky smooth movement is reality to me. There's an Epson engineer who is obviously old school calling the shots. (or maybe it's money) Boo to both.

I have my 3D cranked pretty hard, not much point in watching it unless things do pop as much as possible. Maybe BenQ will pull a 4k surprise someday.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #1910 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
this is worth the try! do I have to remove the bulb & maybe use air duster? also is there a way to open the automated lens cover while the projector is off?
This gets scary real fast (taking apart and blowing stuff around) involving breaking things, voiding warranty, etc.

Check this thread out, and maybe consider swapping the projector out first.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post47346185
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #1911 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roku Ultra issue with Epson 6040UB - help

I proudly upgraded my 6030 to a 6040 this weekend. So far impressed with the picture. However, I only have a Roku Ultra as a UHD source and am having trouble setting the Roku display type to 4K UHD HDR. Apparently my Roku tells me that the display does not report back as an HDR capable display, please consult TV settings to enable Deep COlor. I have all this interconnected via a Yamaha AVR 3050 which features both HDMI 2.0a inputs with HDCP 2.2. Is this a compatibilty issue. I just updated both Roku and Yamaha with the latest firmware updated. Please help!
post #1912 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydsouza View Post
I proudly upgraded my 6030 to a 6040 this weekend. So far impressed with the picture. However, I only have a Roku Ultra as a UHD source and am having trouble setting the Roku display type to 4K UHD HDR. Apparently my Roku tells me that the display does not report back as an HDR capable display, please consult TV settings to enable Deep COlor. I have all this interconnected via a Yamaha AVR 3050 which features both HDMI 2.0a inputs with HDCP 2.2. Is this a compatibilty issue. I just updated both Roku and Yamaha with the latest firmware updated. Please help!

Connected to HDMI 1 port? Don't use port 2

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #1913 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 08:01 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post

I'm building a pass through window between two walls for the projector to shine through, and need to know how large of an opening I need to make in the wall.

I was considering cutting a 9inch wide by 8inch tall square opening, but need to make sure that's large enough for the lens to easily project to the screen. Thanks!
The size opening your considering is more than adequate, IF the lens is not placed too far back from the opening. The closer it is, the smaller the opening can be. However circulation is an important fact to consider, and jamming the face of the PJ up too close to a solid surface can be detrimental.

Also, if you are inverting the PJ (...almost certainly so...), then placing the Lens top of center in the opening will give you more leeway for the projected beam to fan downward without the bottom edge of the opening cutting the beam. As far as the sides, 9" wide is a big opening, so I'd say the PJ could be placed a full 4" behind the opening if the Lens is precisely centered.

More on the last point, when I've done "Pass Through Tunnels" and the wall was 1/2" Drywall or a 1/2" Plywood veneer, I simply made sure that the partition wall stayed as thin as possible to avoid the edge being too deep. I was /am always able to place the PJ at most back to the 3.5" depth of the wall Framing. Lastly, throw distance is very relevant to how wide the beam will be coming out of the Lens. (...and therein how far recessed the lens can be...) That might not be an issue with you since the very fact your going to shoot through a wall means the PJ is in the back of the room.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 10-17-2016 at 08:20 AM.
post #1914 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Connected to HDMI 1 port? Don't use port 2

No it's on port 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1915 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
On HDR.........

As someone who was always a fan of HDR in 35 mm Photography, it was always well understood the primary purpose of HDR was improving Detail and Color saturation in darker / dark shots. It was never about using such for general, normal light photography.

Nothing has changed, and it seems that far too much emphasis is placed on HDR being an advantage in every type of content.

Myself, it was / is all about increasing the subtle detail and color/contrast in darker movie content. And that is all. As for the rest of the image improvement, I expect the overall performance envelope of the Projector...as well as the Screen to carry the rest of the weight.

That said, it was the odd, over-saturated Red and marked reduction in brightness in 1080p when BT2020-HDR1 was selected for 4K HDR that concerned me most. Seems counterproductive if the PJ cannot default to 1080p setting when a SUHD-HDR disc is not in play. Today will see the Firmware Upgrade on the Samsung downloaded, as well as a check against any upgrade potential on the 5040ube's Firmware. (...what is the most current version? )

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #1916 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
This gets scary real fast (taking apart and blowing stuff around) involving breaking things, voiding warranty, etc.

Check this thread out, and maybe consider swapping the projector out first.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post47346185

thanks for the advice,, yep, will try to swap it for other projector, if not, will get a refund & buy it from another shop.
post #1917 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Quote:

I was considering cutting a 9inch wide by 8inch tall square opening, but need to make sure that's large enough for the lens to easily project to the screen. Thanks!
The size opening your considering is more than adequate, IF the lens is not placed too far back from the opening. The closer it is, the smaller the opening can be. However circulation is an important fact to consider, and jamming the face of the PJ up too close to a solid surface can be detrimental.

Also, if you are inverting the PJ (...almost certainly so...), then placing the Lens top of center in the opening will give you more leeway for the projected beam to fan downward without the bottom edge of the opening cutting the beam. As far as the sides, 9" wide is a big opening, so I'd say the PJ could be placed a full 4" behind the opening if the Lens is precisely centered.

More on the last point, when I've done "Pass Through Tunnels" and the wall was 1/2" Drywall or a 1/2" Plywood veneer, I simply made sure that the partition wall stayed as thin as possible to avoid the edge being too deep. I was /am always able to place the PJ at most back to the 3.5" depth of the wall Framing. Lastly, throw distance is very relevant to how wide the beam will be coming out of the Lens. (...and therein how far recessed the lens can be...) That might not be an issue with you since the very fact your going to shoot through a wall means the PJ is in the back of the room.
Ok great. Do you know the diameter of the lens on the 5040ub?
post #1918 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
The lens opening itself is 4". The lens itself is slightly less.

The lens housing, the light gray outer ring is 6".

I went downstairs and measured it on my 6040UB.

Does that help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson 6040UB Lens opening.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1720689  
gagost likes this.

Atmos Dolby 7.2.4; GE Triton 5; GE XL center; Monitor Audio Gold FX; GE Aon 2; KEF Q50a (top front and rear); SVS PB-12 Plus & SVS NSD-12; Epson 6040UB; Panasonic UB820; TiVo Roamio; Roku Stick+; Nvidia Shield
post #1919 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I'm one of the oddballs that likes F.I. as well. I'd be curious why it isn't available with a 4K signal because as far as I know the JVC RS400 that has been out for over a year does offer F.I. with 4K signals.

If I recall correctly with the Epson 6010 F.I. wasn't available in 3D but when I upgraded to the 5030 it is available. I wonder if Epson will do the same thing in that it will be available in the 5050. I'm just curious why it isn't available with the 5040.

Based on your comments about preferring 1080p over 4K HDR on the Epson I wonder if you were to try a 4K UHD player like the upcoming Oppo 203 whereby supposedly you can keep 4K and the wide color but use SDR vs. HDR what you'd think of that. I read on the RS400 forum that some prefer SDR over HDR with UHD Blurays and are doing it using an HDFury Integral.
Oddball here too .. to the point that I've configured SVP to work with Jriver so all movies are displayed this way. And the difference with a 120" screen is awesome. I'm awaiting the arrival of a 6040UB, and am wondering how the projector will handle this.

If there is an image at 1080P @ 60Hz, will pixelshift be able to handle this up to it's 4K equivalent? It's something I'll be trying first thing once it arrives ..

n
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #1920 of 18207 Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
Quote:
The lens opening itself is 4". The lens itself is slightly less.

The lens housing, the light gray outer ring is 6".

I went downstairs and measured it on my 6040UB.

Does that help?

Thanks!! Yes.
dvdwilly3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page