Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 643 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27437Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19261 of 19865 Old 04-26-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post
MadVR seems interesting if you like to tinker, but I wonder how easy is it for the family? Clearly, Im not talking about them adjusting settings, I’m talking more about how easy is it for them to control the HTPC to just watch TV? What are you doing for remote control? BT keyboard?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once it's setup you're generally good to go.

MadVR only works for content you have, it doesn't work for streaming services (you would need a physical madVR ENVY for that), so keep that in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19262 of 19865 Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Uther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Once it's setup you're generally good to go.

MadVR only works for content you have, it doesn't work for streaming services (you would need a physical madVR ENVY for that), so keep that in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ahhh...good to know. I thought since it was codec based it would be applied to any video output. Thanks for the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uther is offline  
post #19263 of 19865 Old 04-26-2020, 03:07 PM
Member
 
DJConan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the 5040UBe as a refurb from Epson. The first one I received gave me the auto iris error. I could not do anything with it. I let it sit awhile and tried a few hours later after being unplugged, but no go. I contacted Epson and one of the support people told me it may have occurred due to static or something and to turn it back on. While on the phone with support, I turned it on and it worked. He told me to call them back if it happened again. Just as I hung up the phone, it happened again. I called them back and they began the process of sending another one out. Meanwhile, later that night, I tried it again and it worked. In fact, I was able to watch a few movies and the error never returned.

I received the replacement 2 days later and I brought that one up. Worked with no problems. I figured I would return the first one since I do not want to risk running into the error again. Is that a logical assumption?

With the second PJ, a few days after receiving, I noticed a green/blue blob or pixel on a bright scene (see attachment). I ran different color slides and it is not so visible on black or dark images and it becomes most obvious on white. I've wiped the exterior of the lens with a lint free cloth and that did nothing. The blob is impossible to see from an average viewing distance, so at least it doesn't distract.

I decided to fire up the 1st PJ to look for image issues and found none.

Then, I brought up the service menu to compare the 1st and 2nd PJ use stats.

1st PJ: Total hours of use was 7, which was my own use, and 7 hours on the lamp. Also shows the lamp replacement was 1 time and lamp on 2 times (I had it on more than 2 times) and lamp off 1 time. The PJ came in a refurb box and was missing the back cover (came with the 2nd PJ), so I don't think it was new.

2nd PJ: Total hours of use was 458 with lamp hours 3 and lamp replacement 2 times.


I'm trying to decide which one I should send back. The 1st PJ that had the auto iris error, but came with apparently 0 hours of use (did they reset it?) or the 2nd PJ with 458 hours of use and a blob. Or should I request a 3rd JP?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blob.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2716942  
DJConan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19264 of 19865 Old 04-26-2020, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJConan View Post
I recently purchased the 5040UBe as a refurb from Epson. The first one I received gave me the auto iris error. I could not do anything with it. I let it sit awhile and tried a few hours later after being unplugged, but no go. I contacted Epson and one of the support people told me it may have occurred due to static or something and to turn it back on. While on the phone with support, I turned it on and it worked. He told me to call them back if it happened again. Just as I hung up the phone, it happened again. I called them back and they began the process of sending another one out. Meanwhile, later that night, I tried it again and it worked. In fact, I was able to watch a few movies and the error never returned.

I received the replacement 2 days later and I brought that one up. Worked with no problems. I figured I would return the first one since I do not want to risk running into the error again. Is that a logical assumption?

With the second PJ, a few days after receiving, I noticed a green/blue blob or pixel on a bright scene (see attachment). I ran different color slides and it is not so visible on black or dark images and it becomes most obvious on white. I've wiped the exterior of the lens with a lint free cloth and that did nothing. The blob is impossible to see from an average viewing distance, so at least it doesn't distract.

I decided to fire up the 1st PJ to look for image issues and found none.

Then, I brought up the service menu to compare the 1st and 2nd PJ use stats.

1st PJ: Total hours of use was 7, which was my own use, and 7 hours on the lamp. Also shows the lamp replacement was 1 time and lamp on 2 times (I had it on more than 2 times) and lamp off 1 time. The PJ came in a refurb box and was missing the back cover (came with the 2nd PJ), so I don't think it was new.

2nd PJ: Total hours of use was 458 with lamp hours 3 and lamp replacement 2 times.


I'm trying to decide which one I should send back. The 1st PJ that had the auto iris error, but came with apparently 0 hours of use (did they reset it?) or the 2nd PJ with 458 hours of use and a blob. Or should I request a 3rd JP?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Request a third one. There shouldnt be any hours on it.
Pearcebud is offline  
post #19265 of 19865 Old 04-26-2020, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Natural mode + madVR magic sauce for amazing HDR

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hey David, I just ordered a refurb 5040 (stepping up from a Sony 45ES, which I've enjoyed immensely over the last 2 years or so).

Given that the 5040 doesn't output true 4k, can you set the desktop resolution on your HTPC to something like 1440p? And if this is right, then could I get away with buying a less expensive graphics card to run madvr, since the upscaling only has to go from 1080 to 1440 instead of 2160?

I'm looking at gtx 1660s and rtx 2060s now, but I'd happily save the 100+ bucks by getting a 1660 if the above is right.
gooch02000 is offline  
post #19266 of 19865 Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJConan View Post
I

I'm trying to decide which one I should send back. The 1st PJ that had the auto iris error, but came with apparently 0 hours of use (did they reset it?) or the 2nd PJ with 458 hours of use and a blob. Or should I request a 3rd JP?
I’ve almost ordered one of these every day for the past week but keep hesitating based on stories like this. If it were me I would be requesting a third projector honestly. It’s a fantastic deal but still a purchase you will likely live with for years. Now I just need to figure out what I’m going to do...
akuhn0001 is offline  
post #19267 of 19865 Old 04-27-2020, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhn0001 View Post
I’ve almost ordered one of these every day for the past week but keep hesitating based on stories like this. If it were me I would be requesting a third projector honestly. It’s a fantastic deal but still a purchase you will likely live with for years. Now I just need to figure out what I’m going to do...
I bought a BNIB unit last year, knock on wood I'm ok so far although I only have about 350 or so hours on it. I was aware of all these problems and did my due diligence best as possible, but with a company who has no transparency and shares nothing when asked - the results of my search are questionable. Frankly, I'd dump the 5040 idea and go 5050, you would think they have it figured out by now plus there are some extra perks like the bandwidth. Like you said, it's a purchase you'd live with for years so it may be worth some extra cash initially. My 10 year old Panasonic is still sitting in a box downstairs, working - hope my 5040 lasts that long. Or, get a JVC which markets competitive performance, better reliability and customer support apparently (according to a vendor I spoke to who now doesn't like to push Epson anymore, too many complaints).

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
marcosphoto is offline  
post #19268 of 19865 Old 04-27-2020, 07:12 AM
Member
 
DJConan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
Request a third one. There shouldnt be any hours on it.
It is a refurbished one, so I was expecting some hours on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhn0001 View Post
I’ve almost ordered one of these every day for the past week but keep hesitating based on stories like this. If it were me I would be requesting a third projector honestly. It’s a fantastic deal but still a purchase you will likely live with for years. Now I just need to figure out what I’m going to do...
I don't regret the purpose. The auto iris error was annoying and having to wait 2 more days to receiving the 2nd one. The image blob doesn't bother me other than I know it's there.

I was playing around with the first PJ last night and got the auto iris error again (a power cycle and it worked again). So I think that confirmed that the 1st one needs to be returned for sure.
DJConan is offline  
post #19269 of 19865 Old 04-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Member
 
Boggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
Hey David, I just ordered a refurb 5040 (stepping up from a Sony 45ES, which I've enjoyed immensely over the last 2 years or so).

Given that the 5040 doesn't output true 4k, can you set the desktop resolution on your HTPC to something like 1440p? And if this is right, then could I get away with buying a less expensive graphics card to run madvr, since the upscaling only has to go from 1080 to 1440 instead of 2160?

I'm looking at gtx 1660s and rtx 2060s now, but I'd happily save the 100+ bucks by getting a 1660 if the above is right.

it looks best set at 4k, especially if using as a pc.
gooch02000 and DavidinGA like this.
Boggle is offline  
post #19270 of 19865 Old 04-27-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
Hey David, I just ordered a refurb 5040 (stepping up from a Sony 45ES, which I've enjoyed immensely over the last 2 years or so).



Given that the 5040 doesn't output true 4k, can you set the desktop resolution on your HTPC to something like 1440p? And if this is right, then could I get away with buying a less expensive graphics card to run madvr, since the upscaling only has to go from 1080 to 1440 instead of 2160?



I'm looking at gtx 1660s and rtx 2060s now, but I'd happily save the 100+ bucks by getting a 1660 if the above is right.
Yeah, I don't think you'll gain anything by trying that imo.

I'm still using a 1060 card myself which does the job for DTM fine. If cost is a concern I'd go grab a used card off ebay; that's what I did. I paid like $150 for my 1060 card back in 2018.

The best bang for the buck is probably a used 1080ti card for less than $500 on ebay...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
gooch02000 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #19271 of 19865 Old 04-27-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chad T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vincennes, Indiana
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I played around with a gamma setting of +1. I believe this correlates with 2.1? Anyway, with Blu-rays at 1080p and using 4K enhancement, I’m thinking I like the extra detail I’m getting in darker scenes. I previously had it set to the “0” default. Will continue to evaluate but I believe I like +1 better.
DavidinGA likes this.
Chad T is offline  
post #19272 of 19865 Old 04-27-2020, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[QUOTE=DavidinGA;59552342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post
MadVR seems interesting if you like to tinker, but I wonder how easy is it for the family? Clearly, Im not talking about them adjusting settings, I’️m talking more about how easy is it for them to control the HTPC to just watch TV? What are you doing for remote control? BT keyboard?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once it's setup you're generally good to go.

MadVR only works for content you have, it doesn't work for streaming services (you would need a physical madVR ENVY for that), so keep that in mind.
.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

]

Would hdfury linker work for direct source like plex? I have 4k remuxes that i watch straight from my plex server by casting
Pearcebud is offline  
post #19273 of 19865 Old 04-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm sure it's been covered but search has failed me. Nvidia shield + 4k HDR w/Atmos mkvs backups. What are the best/working settings I need to achieve reasonable output. Is there a preferred playback app on the shield? No disc spinner here, kids destroy them otherwise.

No madvr, I need streaming apps for Amazon and Netflix that are high WAF.

So shield it is, with the best it and the 5040 can do. TIA
blazin912 is online now  
post #19274 of 19865 Old 04-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
I'm sure it's been covered but search has failed me. Nvidia shield + 4k HDR w/Atmos mkvs backups. What are the best/working settings I need to achieve reasonable output. Is there a preferred playback app on the shield? No disc spinner here, kids destroy them otherwise.

No madvr, I need streaming apps for Amazon and Netflix that are high WAF.

So shield it is, with the best it and the 5040 can do. TIA

So I just recently discovered Plex myself.. I ended up making a server on my gaming computer. What I did is I have a website that I used for full 1:1 mkv 4k blue rays with hdr, I download them and put them on my Plex server and I direct source that material to my firestick which is plugged into my avr then fed to my 5040ub for projection. Below I will post the link of my Reddit post I posted yesterday. I was basically Blown Away by the quality as by doing this and using my home network there was no streaming or transcoding involved so I got a one to one video right to my projector that required little to no internet at all. My post blew up on Reddit overnight so you can go read through all the comments and you can get the answers to your questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
Pearcebud is offline  
post #19275 of 19865 Old 04-28-2020, 11:56 PM
Member
 
Brettmckinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
So I just recently discovered Plex myself.. I ended up making a server on my gaming computer. What I did is I have a website that I used for full 1:1 mkv 4k blue rays with hdr, I download them and put them on my Plex server and I direct source that material to my firestick which is plugged into my avr then fed to my 5040ub for projection. Below I will post the link of my Reddit post I posted yesterday. I was basically Blown Away by the quality as by doing this and using my home network there was no streaming or transcoding involved so I got a one to one video right to my projector that required little to no internet at all. My post blew up on Reddit overnight so you can go read through all the comments and you can get the answers to your questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
Yep Plex is pretty damn good! Runs flawless on the nvidia Shield pro too - full HDR & atmos, so good! That was a cool little vid you posted of Bad Boys - mind sharing your HDR settings? The colors looks crazy!
Brettmckinney is offline  
post #19276 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
inspector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Menifee, CA , USA
Posts: 1,491
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmckinney View Post
Yep Plex is pretty damn good! Runs flawless on the nvidia Shield pro too - full HDR & atmos, so good! That was a cool little vid you posted of Bad Boys - mind sharing your HDR settings? The colors looks crazy!


PM sent

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" .09 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; .
inspector is offline  
post #19277 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,846
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
So I just recently discovered Plex myself.. I ended up making a server on my gaming computer. What I did is I have a website that I used for full 1:1 mkv 4k blue rays with hdr, I download them and put them on my Plex server and I direct source that material to my firestick which is plugged into my avr then fed to my 5040ub for projection. Below I will post the link of my Reddit post I posted yesterday. I was basically Blown Away by the quality as by doing this and using my home network there was no streaming or transcoding involved so I got a one to one video right to my projector that required little to no internet at all. My post blew up on Reddit overnight so you can go read through all the comments and you can get the answers to your questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
Plex runs pretty well on my Firestick 4K, however it chokes on full MKV bluray backups (35GB+)

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
b_scott is offline  
post #19278 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
ciao.carlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJConan View Post
It is a refurbished one, so I was expecting some hours on it.



I don't regret the purpose. The auto iris error was annoying and having to wait 2 more days to receiving the 2nd one. The image blob doesn't bother me other than I know it's there.

I was playing around with the first PJ last night and got the auto iris error again (a power cycle and it worked again). So I think that confirmed that the 1st one needs to be returned for sure.
I just got a refurb unit, and it had 2 hours on it and the lamp has two hours, which is about the time I've had it on. My firmware version is 114. What is the firmware on the unit with the auto iris problem?

By the way, I am blown away with those blacks!
ciao.carlos is offline  
post #19279 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Member
 
DJConan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao.carlos View Post
I just got a refurb unit, and it had 2 hours on it and the lamp has two hours, which is about the time I've had it on. My firmware version is 114. What is the firmware on the unit with the auto iris problem?

By the way, I am blown away with those blacks!
Both of the ones I received have 114 on them.
DJConan is offline  
post #19280 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 06:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
So I just recently discovered Plex myself.. I ended up making a server on my gaming computer. What I did is I have a website that I used for full 1:1 mkv 4k blue rays with hdr, I download them and put them on my Plex server and I direct source that material to my firestick which is plugged into my avr then fed to my 5040ub for projection. Below I will post the link of my Reddit post I posted yesterday. I was basically Blown Away by the quality as by doing this and using my home network there was no streaming or transcoding involved so I got a one to one video right to my projector that required little to no internet at all. My post blew up on Reddit overnight so you can go read through all the comments and you can get the answers to your questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
Hmm.. full 1:1 MKV blurays with atmos audio and hdr? What are your firestick output settings? What resolution and bit depth? Is plex performing tone mapping?
blazin912 is online now  
post #19281 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys i was wondering has anybody here purchased the AKIA 125inch fixed frame Projector screen white? I was looking at purchasing it to upgrade my pulldown 100 inch elite screen. I was looking at ethier the akia 125 or the Elitescreen called star frame 120 inch.
Pearcebud is offline  
post #19282 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,621
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
Hey guys i was wondering has anybody here purchased the AKIA 125inch fixed frame Projector screen white? I was looking at purchasing it to upgrade my pulldown 100 inch elite screen. I was looking at ethier the akia 125 or the Elitescreen called star frame 120 inch.
Akia is just another brand of Elitescreen. Ask @subacabra or check out his posts about it on:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-206.html
noob00224 is online now  
post #19283 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
So I just recently discovered Plex myself.. I ended up making a server on my gaming computer. What I did is I have a website that I used for full 1:1 mkv 4k blue rays with hdr, I download them and put them on my Plex server and I direct source that material to my firestick which is plugged into my avr then fed to my 5040ub for projection. Below I will post the link of my Reddit post I posted yesterday. I was basically Blown Away by the quality as by doing this and using my home network there was no streaming or transcoding involved so I got a one to one video right to my projector that required little to no internet at all. My post blew up on Reddit overnight so you can go read through all the comments and you can get the answers to your questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
Hmm.. full 1:1 MKV blurays with atmos audio and hdr? What are your firestick output settings? What resolution and bit depth? Is plex performing tone mapping?
Sorry about that! I just recently became aware of 4k firestick dosent give "Perfect" atmos audio. I have my plex going 4k hdr at 24fps bt2020 8bit colour
Pearcebud is offline  
post #19284 of 19865 Old 04-29-2020, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
Hey guys i was wondering has anybody here purchased the AKIA 125inch fixed frame Projector screen white? I was looking at purchasing it to upgrade my pulldown 100 inch elite screen. I was looking at ethier the akia 125 or the Elitescreen called star frame 120 inch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Akia is just another brand of Elitescreen. Ask @subacabra or check out his posts about it on:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-206.html
I tried to purchase this.. my package showed up as just gloves and a hammer.. Had a real hard time convincing Amazon of this..

It has since disappeared from Amazon and appears out of stock everywhere.

I elected to build my own
blazin912 is online now  
post #19285 of 19865 Old 04-30-2020, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,749
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked: 4181
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

In way if answering some common unanswered questions over the last few posts.

4K HDR isn’t very good on this projector - no matter what config I’ve tried. HarperVision config was the best of the dozen recommendations I tried, but it was annoying having to manually flip the config in the menus every time you changed between SDR and HDR sources so I gave up on that.

I bought a Panasonic 420 player and set it up so it outputs 4K HDR at SDR with BT2020 color space.
I no longer have to swap any configs on the projector for HarperVision and it generally looks better. This is absolutely the way to go. Strip HDR from any source before feeding this projector.

I have MadVR with a nvidia 2080, and it does not look appreciably better than the Panasonic and the Panasonic is far less tinkering and expense than a HTPC. The Panasonic can stream the basic services like Prime and Netflix, etc, with Atmos with good video quality (and also strip HDR) but it is a pretty crappy slow interface compared to modern streamers. Feels about 3-5 years old. The Panasonic is best used for 4K disk and bluray disk playback, and worth the price of entry for that functionality alone with the Epson 5040UB (to strip off the HDR from 4K disks.)

As far as streamers:
I’ve tried 2017 Shield, 2019 4K firestick, 2019 4K Roku stick, and HTPC. My favorite with the Epson 5040UB is the $50, 2019 Roku 4K stick. For the simple reason, of the streaming devices, its the only one I’ve tried that lets you select 4k 60hz SDR. So again, you just eliminate the pesky HDR problems from the source!

As far as 4K vs 1080p upscaled with modern retail bluray vs 4k disks. If you can see a major difference on this projector let me know. I think it’s pretty insignificant. Either the 4K ability of the Epson 5040UB is poor or the upscaling ability on the Panasonic or Epson is quite good - or some combination of both. I’ve spent some time trying to direct compare. The difference is subtle at best, but a label of non existent is more appropriate when viewed from the seats. (Except when you don’t strip HDR and then its clearly worse with 4K HDR disks vs 1080p disks). I wouldn’t pay the extra for 4K disks over 1080 for viewing on this projector. Darn the movie companies for only putting Atmos tracks on the 4K disks sometimes and forcing our hand to buy 4K disks.


Problem: HDR streaming looks dark, murky, and crappy on the 5040UB. (IE Amazon 4K Firestick, or nvidia shield, or any other streamer where I can’t disable HDR)



Solution: Roku 4K Firestick where you can disable HDR at source display settings




Same thing applied with HDR disks. Stripping HDR from 4K disks with the Panasonic player is the way to go! Nothing gets lost to the murkiness that is HDR on the 5040UB.

This projector just doesn’t have the brightness needed for HDR.

I played with leaving HDR on, and tinkering with the HDR optimizer built into the Pansonic that many people rave about for various display devices. However, I’ve determined with the 5040UB, its just better and far less constant tinkering (with the HDR slider movie to movie) to just disable HDR in the menus. Then no tinkering at all and just a good picture all the time.



Heres an example where a 1080p disk looks better than a 4K disk (4K disk too dark) and while I didn’t get anyone else to post test results with their equipment, I did get some agreement that others had seen the same:
Post number 40:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...l#post59017680
Chad T, DJConan and OriginalWhitey like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 04-30-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Archaea is online now  
post #19286 of 19865 Old 04-30-2020, 06:43 AM
Member
 
camtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post
I just can’t seem to pull the trigger on this. The 10 Gbps limit and HDR issues just keep tugging at the back of my brain. I’m afraid I’ll just be in a constant fiddling, work around, and “what if” nightmare.

Grrr....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke down and purchased a refurbished 6040 last week:

My sources are an Xbox One X and a Shield TV 2015. I have exactly one 4k BR (GOTG2) to play with, plus Prime, Netflix etc. Projecting to a 110" screen w/ 7.2.4 Atmos HT.

Like most of you, I agonized over the lack of [email protected] HDR, 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 etc. Being new to the 4k scene, I wasn't aware of the dark journey I was soon to embark on. I should note that I am a retired engineer by trade and as such, I am quite comfortable with computers, electronics and "Honey, the sink is clogged.." scenarios.

Oh, it started out small...reading a few, no make that hundreds of posts in this threads to the point I now need more carrot juice. Then it moved to small tweaks, a little more contrast here, a touch of color here...well you get the idea.

But I is wasn't enough, like a junkie I needed more. Here, I found the "pushers" I needed to satisfy the demon cravings (Harper, oledurt..I looking at you)...
It became sure madness, I tell you...I started to became obsessed on what the projector info screen told me. I would cry out in my sleep "Nooo, it can't be SDR, I want HDR at 60.."

Finally, after an intervention from family members (OK, my wife and the neighbor's dog), it became clear that I needed help. "Hello, my name is..." comes to mind

(sigh) I guess finding the sweet spot on this projector, is like chasing for treasure on Oak Island..(Yes, there is something promised here but it's elusive...).

On my way to recovery, I have become aware a few truths:

- The refurb price for this PJ nice to get into the 4K arena. I should be happy with this.

- The Epson settings out of the box are just fine.

- To reach enlightenment, I must look deep into my soul (and my wallet).

- 4K is really dead..Long live 8K....(Code Blue !!! Relapse in progress...)



ciao.carlos likes this.
camtah is offline  
post #19287 of 19865 Old 04-30-2020, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 7,846
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Problem: HDR streaming looks dark, murky, and crappy on the 5040UB. (IE Amazon 4K Firestick, or nvidia shield, or any other streamer where I can’t disable HDR)
Thanks for the post. What do you mean you can't disable HDR on the firestick? You definitely can. You set it for on, off, or auto.

Amazon Fire TV

Go to the Fire TV Home screen
Go to Settings
Select Display & Sounds
Select Display
Select Video Resolution
Select 8 bits to disable HDR
Apple TV

Go to Apple TV Home screen
Go to Settings
Select Video & Audio
Select 4K SDR to disable HDR
Roku

Go to Roku Home screen
Go to Settings
Select Display Type
Choose either 4K 30Hz or 4K 60Hz to disable HDR
GlavineBoy likes this.

Last edited by b_scott; 04-30-2020 at 07:24 AM.
b_scott is offline  
post #19288 of 19865 Old 04-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
macming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just jumped on the refurb bandwagon. My first order was cancelled by Epson for a declined credit card transaction after a day. I called my bank and they said the transaction was successful. I called Epson back and had the agent process another order. It's been about 2 days and the website still says "Processing".

In your experience, how long did it take Epson to ship the projector?
macming is offline  
post #19289 of 19865 Old 04-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Member
 
aducrejr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by macming View Post
I just jumped on the refurb bandwagon. My first order was cancelled by Epson for a declined credit card transaction after a day. I called my bank and they said the transaction was successful. I called Epson back and had the agent process another order. It's been about 2 days and the website still says "Processing".

In your experience, how long did it take Epson to ship the projector?
I had the same problem because I missed the security department phone call. After leaving a voicemail the status did not change I had to call back sales and have the security guy call me back. After 4 days I finally have a tracking number
ciao.carlos likes this.
aducrejr is offline  
post #19290 of 19865 Old 04-30-2020, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
macming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aducrejr View Post
I had the same problem because I missed the security department phone call. After leaving a voicemail the status did not change I had to call back sales and have the security guy call me back. After 4 days I finally have a tracking number
Well, maybe it was because I made this post. I called Epson and I received an email with a tracking number a minute before I talked to an agent. I should get the new project some time next week. Looking forward to the endless tweaking!
macming is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos , filter

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off