Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 648 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27420Likes

post #19411 of 19799 Old 05-19-2020, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 265
wow I didn't realize Oppo died.

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19412 of 19799 Old 05-19-2020, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I haven't, and I'm not expert on projectors - it sounds like a power conditioning issue though - what is your projector plugged into? Is there something power hungry on the same circuit like a refrigerator or A/C unit that might cycle on and off?
I highjacked a baseboard heater circuit that the house had when we moved in and built the theater. I am using the circuit strictly for A/V and nothing else - no lights, outlets, etc. If there was any problem at all, would have to be right from the panel - but I doubt it. Power conditioning is an interesting thought but as it does not happen on NORMAL I think it must reside as a problem within the unit.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
post #19413 of 19799 Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks. Long time lurker. Had my Epson 5040UB for about a year now. Recently I noticed a yellow area in the projected image. Weird. Its not the screen itself as it shrinks as I shrink the image. Tried changing bulbs. What are your suggestions? Projector is in warranty still

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Az52YPORZvSzkSAptpMbYaMliHnV7HLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19414 of 19799 Old 05-19-2020, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytotheB View Post
Hey folks. Long time lurker. Had my Epson 5040UB for about a year now. Recently I noticed a yellow area in the projected image. Weird. Its not the screen itself as it shrinks as I shrink the image. Tried changing bulbs. What are your suggestions? Projector is in warranty still

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...MbYaMliHnV7HLK
Looks like your LCD panel may have started to fail. How often did you clean the filter? If there isn’t enough air flow, the lcds in the light engine tends to over heat and cause discolouration.

I’d call Epson and they’ll prob send you a replacement.
post #19415 of 19799 Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macming View Post
Looks like your LCD panel may have started to fail. How often did you clean the filter? If there isn’t enough air flow, the lcds in the light engine tends to over heat and cause discolouration.

I’d call Epson and they’ll prob send you a replacement.
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Epson and they said I am liable for the costs to fix it. I admitted I was the second owner of the projector. Perhaps I shouldn't. I cleaned it regularly but I guess maybe not enough

Is the LCD changeable?
post #19416 of 19799 Old 05-19-2020, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44

Much appreciated! I read mixed reviews for the YOSUN bulb, has anyone tried them?
post #19417 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Epson and they said I am liable for the costs to fix it. I admitted I was the second owner of the projector. Perhaps I shouldn't. I cleaned it regularly but I guess maybe not enough

Is the LCD changeable?
I haven't researched the 5040 myself, but in the 5030 the entire light engine has to be replaced. Depending on how bad it is, I'd ask Epson how much a replacement light engine costs.
post #19418 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana View Post
Much appreciated! I read mixed reviews for the YOSUN bulb, has anyone tried them?
I've tried some random bulbs with high reviews with my older Epson projector and they just aren't great. If you can, I would stick with OE Epson bulbs. They are relatively inexpensive compared to JVC bulbs.
post #19419 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I've tried some random bulbs with high reviews with my older Epson projector and they just aren't great. If you can, I would stick with OE Epson bulbs. They are relatively inexpensive compared to JVC bulbs.

I dont think I can buy it from Epson website (UK). Any place reliable to buy it from?
post #19420 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
You do of course make a good point, It's my personality if I'm going to spend a lot of money, I often will not go through with my original choice when I think about the fact I will have things for many years and a little more money will make all the difference.
I have a question for you as you have been doing lots of research in the refurb thread. Have you seen any comments about the 5040 brightness going up and down constantly? Mine is doing it on ECO, but then another person in the thread said his is doing it and is on NORMAL. It's driving my wife and I mad, have to get it repaired. I tried fiddling with iris settings and even turned it off then on and used HDMI2 also. When I set mine to NORMAL the problem finally went away, but considering the other member I imagine as it worsens it will start doing it on NORMAL too. None-the-less, my PJ is set up for ECO and would prefer to keep it there. It almost sounds like a bulb issue, but with 350 hours? Epson won't offer up any info, just said to either take a refurb (which I won't do) or send it in for repairs.
What you are experiencing is inherent in UHP Lamp projectors. I have had it at some point in varying severity with all 4 of my projectors over the last decade.

These lamps when brand new, need to ideally be placed in High lamp mode to create a proper arch inside them, for many hours (I don’t remember exactly, but please google it or search this site for lamp flicker or fluctuation). Once set, you can now bring it down in power. The lower the power, the less stable the power flow can become inside the lamp.

So now that most of us probably didn’t do this, don’t fret. Put your PJ in high lamp mode for a week (I know the fans are loud, but they do spin down a bit afterwards, and this is for the greater good). Then you are kind of re-training the arch inside. Rinse and repeat if issue comes back.

Please forgive any inaccuracies to my electrician friends...this is just how I remember the info that helped me when my first DLP PJ developed a pretty annoying case of lamp brightness fluctuation.
noob00224 likes this.

Last edited by Xavier3; 05-20-2020 at 03:21 PM.
post #19421 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier3 View Post
What you are experiencing is inherent in UHP Lamp projectors. I have had it at some point in varying severity with all 4 of my projectors over the last decade.

These lamps when brand new, need to ideally be placed in High lamp mode to create a proper arch inside them, for many hours (I don’t remember exactly, but please google it or search this site for lamp flicker or fluctuation). Once set, you can now bring it down in power. The lower the power, the less stable the power flow can become inside the lamp.

So now that most of us probably didn’t do this, don’t fret. Put your PJ in high lamp mode for a week (I know the fans are loud, but they do spin down a bit afterwards, and this is for the greater good). Then you are kind of re-training the arch inside. Rinse and repeat if issue comes back.

Please forgive any inaccuracies to my electrician friends...this is just how I remember the info that helped me when my first DLP PJ developed a pretty annoying case of lamp brightness fluctuation.
Lamps should be kept in High lamp for the first 100h, and once in a while after that. I keep it 100h every 500h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
It's and interesting theory... But it seems somewhat conflated I think or coincidental.

If the projector is expecting to see an NTSC 60Hz signal (set for this from the line frequency when plugged in) and you're sending it a PAL 50Hz signal, that probably accounts for the flicker. Not the lamp mode. In other words a video timing/phase difference. What happens when using the satellite box set for PAL with the projectors lamp set to high?

The Sony VPL-HW40ES does not have a dynamic iris function. A dynamic iris algorithm would be the only realistic link to the lamp that would/could introduce dimming based on program material.

The VPL-HW40ES has a regulated power supply making the projectors operation constant regardless of signal input. Likewise, the satellite box has not changed it's power supply and signal strength/voltage would/should be the same regardless of the signal NTSC/PAL. What has changed is the bandwidth, phase, frequency, etc. between two different standards. If the projector is referenced to 60Hz for its operation and your send it a signal that's timed to a 50Hz reference...

When you start the projector, several thousand volts of electricity are generated in the projectors power supply/blast, controlled by a driver circuit and conducted through the lamps electrodes creating an arc using the mercury vapor as a discharge medium. After the start cycle and the arc is established, the projectors lamp driver circuit reduces the voltage and current. The lamps electrode gap distance is precise and is kept stable during the lamps lifetime by a regenerative chemical cycle which uses oxygen and bromine generated during the arc process to transport evaporated tungsten back to the electrodes to help maintain their shape/gap.

When you switch or operate the projector in LOW/ECO MODE, the lamp start up phase is exactly the same as operating the lamp in its HIGH/NORMAL or full power setting. However, in LOW/ECO MODE both the voltage and current to the lamp are reduced while in service/operation and the lamp produces fewer lumens or is less bright.

Operating the lamp in LOW/ECO MODE may consume less electricity but the byproduct is that the chemical cycle producing tungsten that refreshes the shape and gap distance of the electrode is less efficient. The inefficiency of the tungsten generation can or may produce a lamp electrode shape or gap that is less than optimum were the result is that the arc is not stable or "dances" on the electrodes producing a lamp flicker.

Flicker happens when the lamps electrode shape, electrode gap, or both deviate from from optimum conditions.

This explains why that when returning the VPL-HW40ES lamp setting to HIGH, lamp flicker is mitigated.

If for what ever reason you choose to operate your projector in LOW/ECO mode, you should make a habit of operating the projector for a few hours in the HIGH/NORMAL mode at least once a month and especially so if you're experiencing any flickering. This will help to "exercise" the lamp in the maintenance of the electrode gap/shape.
Xavier3 likes this.
post #19422 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
My refurb had a few dust blobs from day 1. I tried to run it on high power and high altitude mode, but the blobs are still here. I called Epson and they have a replacement unit coming next week. Hopefully the replacement is problem-free.

I got my replacement unit today. It looks brand new with a 0H bulb. Upon the initial test, it is dust blob free.

I'm going to put it on the ceiling tomorrow and continue my observation. I'll consider myself lucky if the second unit is perfect.
post #19423 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Lamps should be kept in High lamp for the first 100h, and once in a while after that. I keep it 100h every 500h.
Thank you gents. I didn't know about this and I will follow this pattern to ensure my projector throws a consistent picture. The fan noise actually isn't too bad on high in my room, so I totally don't mind.
post #19424 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello everyone. I'm also looking into a 5040ub refurb on ebay as the motorized lens along with the long zoom ratio will fill out my 10' 2.35:1 screen nicely . I've seen them on eBay and thinking about purchasing one Saturday. Should i try and find one directly from epson or go with the purchase from eBay? After reading some of the posts here is it safe to say that epson may not do such a good job refurbishing these units???
post #19425 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do Epson projectors tonemap HDR based on MaxCLL or MDL of the incoming video signal?
post #19426 of 19799 Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouslim77 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm also looking into a 5040ub refurb on ebay as the motorized lens along with the long zoom ratio will fill out my 10' 2.35:1 screen nicely . I've seen them on eBay and thinking about purchasing one Saturday. Should i try and find one directly from epson or go with the purchase from eBay? After reading some of the posts here is it safe to say that epson may not do such a good job refurbishing these units???
You want to buy direct from Epson to insure the warranty.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #19427 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 07:11 AM

Thanks for your reply. They only have the wireless version in stock right now, but hopefully one will pop up by Saturday or Monday. I've been looking at the 4040 as well. Any opinions on that one?
post #19428 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. They only have the wireless version in stock right now, but hopefully one will pop up by Saturday or Monday. I've been looking at the 4040 as well. Any opinions on that one?

Yeah - I'm looking at the 4040 as well - since I'm replacing my old antique Panny AE3000, anything will be an improvement....lol

My Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1002707-dyslexic-s-build.html
Panasonic AE3000, Oppo BDP-83, Samsung UDP8500, AppleTv, NVIDIA Shield Pro, Denon 4400H (5.3.4), Pair DEF Tech IW1010 subs, Sunfire HRS10, SVS PB1000, Auro Bass Shakers (X4), Axiom QS8 rears, Niles IW2670 fronts, four 8 inch PolkAudio speakers overhead, 2.37 Shearweave 4500 accoustic screen (115 inches wide)
post #19429 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=dyslexic;59683848]
Quote:

Yeah - I'm looking at the 4040 as well - since I'm replacing my old antique Panny AE3000, anything will be an 😂😂 ikr! I have a digital projections M-vision 260-hb and the picture is great even projecting onto fabric but it's a long throw projector and i don't have the space nor the coin for an a lens, so the epson looks like a viable option to a 130" scope screen.
post #19430 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Why would you want to get the HC4040? It's the black version of the HC4000. New, the 4040 came with a mount and an extra lamp.

It's got the old HDR tone mapping and the poor blacks (in comparison to the 5/6000 series). Not sure what the deal is (no price talk except for MSRP on this subforum), but the refurb on the Epson site is a hair away from the 5040UB's price. And you don't get the mount and extra lamp.
post #19431 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just wait, until more 5040UBs show up on Epson site. You get two years warranty and quick replacement, if something is wrong. What you will get from Ebay, if something is wrong?
b_scott and noob00224 like this.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Klipsch RP-160m,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-8000F,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800CII/2xCDT3650CII,Klipsch R115SW/R110SW
post #19432 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 10:55 AM

Now i know 😏. That's why i love this forum, somebody was once in your position and has the knowledge and info you seek! Thank you !
post #19433 of 19799 Old 05-21-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
Just wait, until more 5040UBs show up on Epson site. You get two years warranty and quick replacement, if something is wrong. What you will get from Ebay, if something is wrong?
good advice.
post #19434 of 19799 Old 05-24-2020, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
You know, now that you guys mention this I sort of remember it somehow. I almost think my Panasonic instructions from moons ago may have said something about it. Figures, classic Epson support has no clue.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
post #19435 of 19799 Old 05-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
5040UB Refurb is in stock right now. Hurry up!
post #19436 of 19799 Old 05-26-2020, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
good advice.
It's in stock right now, better hurry as it'll likely be gone in an hour or two.
post #19437 of 19799 Old 05-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proell View Post
Quote:
good advice.
It's in stock right now, better hurry as it'll likely be gone in an hour or two.
thanks for the heads up! I ordered the 6040ub this morning and should receive it tomorrow.
post #19438 of 19799 Old 05-27-2020, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
My son just installed a 5040 refurbished from Epson and it is perfect! (So far)

Nice Stuff!
post #19439 of 19799 Old 05-27-2020, 03:40 PM

Epson replaced my faulty 5040UB with a refurb one. It's perfect

Does anyone have a link to the thread where people share their calibration settings for darker pictures etc? I lost my config
post #19440 of 19799 Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Epson replaced my faulty 5040UB with a refurb one. It's perfect

Does anyone have a link to the thread where people share their calibration settings for darker pictures etc? I lost my config

PM sent.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" .09 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos , filter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page