Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26939Likes

post #2761 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
I have a feeling xbox one S needs an update for it to work in HDR on the epson. If your epson is the wireless one I think it may work...

Is 1080P Blu Ray playback on the Xbox one S as good as a standalone BD player?
I had the Samsung K8500 but it had issues too. Now I hear its been patched and works. For me the 1080p to 4k was more prominent with the JVC X7000. I struggle to notice the difference with the Epson 9300.
gnolivos and Adrienn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
I cant get a HDR signal at all.
Does the projector need an update? Has anyone updated their projectors firmware and what was the process?
This is a problem with the XB1S. It is expecting an 18gbps signal chain and the 6040/5040 only does 10.2gbps. It could be corrected with a software update by Microsoft, but I wouldn't hold out hope for that to occur quickly. In theory an HDFury Linker or Integral should make this work. As I'm still in the testing phase with my own Linker, I'm not ready to advise anyone to shell out $150 for it just yet. I have my laptop today so hopefully I will have some time to test it again this evening.
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #2763 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Explanation Needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Unfortunately 5040 can only handle HDR using 24p HDR-10 signal in 4:2:2, but not in 4:4:4 or 4:2:0. See if there is a way to force Roku to use HDR format that is compatible with Epson.
Could you explain exactly what the differences here are to me? I've been reading this whole thread and am not sure what the difference is. I plan on using mine to mostly watch DirecTV, game with Xbox One and watch Netflix/Youtube through Roku. I would like HDR and best picture possible, but not sure if I'm going to really mind if it's only a little better with certain settings. Also, I plan on running everything through Marantz 6011 and on to a Screen Innovations 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. 1.4 gain.

Epson 5040UBe, 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge 7 Screen 1.4 gain with LEDs
Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
Klipsch Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 surround sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
I had the Samsung K8500 but it had issues too. Now I hear its been patched and works. For me the 1080p to 4k was more prominent with the JVC X7000. I struggle to notice the difference with the Epson 9300.
Ok thanks. I'm planning to buy both Xbox One S and also PS4 Pro. Is that overkill lol...

Hopefully the linker will solve the Xbox One S HDR issue.
gnolivos likes this.
post #2765 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright, I have some results from testing on the Linker. You can remove HDR while retaining 4k / 12bit / 4:2:2 / 24p. You can also fool the sending device into believing your display is capable of 4k60p by changing the EDID and then using the scaler to convert all 4k60p to 4k60p 8bit 4:2:0 for the display. I don't have an XB1S to test, but this should enable HDR output from it.

To disable HDR:

Open the HDFury application.
Select the HDR/AVI tab.
Clear/delete the HDR metadata in the box.
Check the box to Enable Custom HDR.

Enabling the custom (blank) HDR metadata reverts to BT2020 SDR.

First impressions:
It seems to be beneficial on Oblivion but not on Warcraft. I've mentioned earlier that Warcraft UHD looked very good overall in HDR. In order to take advantage of this capability it will require two memory settings on the 5040, one for HDR and one for SDR. And as far as I can tell, changing the setting to toggle HDR requires the GUI on a PC. It may be possible to toggle this setting with one of the macro key combinations, but I haven't investigated that yet. The device is a little finicky. It increases the HDMI sync/lock time by about 10 seconds but I could get used to it. I think the benefit of stripping HDR is going to depend on the movie you're watching. I didn't have time to perform another calibration of my Digital Cinema input, so all of these photos use the same settings I have been using for HDR. The stripped versions clearly need some adjustment in the brightness/contrast department. One of the biggest things I noticed was the mountains behind Medivh. Look at the detail in the background on HDR vs SDR. Although the picture is clearly brighter in SDR, I'm not sure it looks better universally.

Part of me is starting to wonder if we've just become accustomed to that SDR look and there isn't anything wrong with HDR other than our own perception.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1774041   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1774049   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1774057   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1774065   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR4.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1774073  

Name:	SDR4.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1774081   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR5.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1774097   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR5.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	1774105   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR6.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1774113   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDR6.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1774121  

Name:	HDRInfo.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1774129   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDRInfo.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1774137   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDFury.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	1774145  
post #2766 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
^^^ Very nice @c.kingsley

I had the similar thought and mentioned before. It is same like getting used to D65 calibrated image after constantly watching the blue pushed TV.
post #2767 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting your findings can someone please test with Xbox one S? would like to see if I can playback UHD Blu ray with HDR and also games with HDR 4K. And YouTube and Netflix as well with HDR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sddp likes this.
post #2768 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Never heard of that mount, but the "Chief" brand of mounts are known to be high quality and their low profile versions
should put the top of your pj about 3" from the ceiling (give or take maybe a quarter inch depending on your adjustments).
I just measured mine and it's about 3 1/8" from the ceiling.

Thanks,

Are you referring to the Chief RPMA-US Elite Universal Ceiling Mount?
post #2769 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
Alright, I have some results from testing on the Linker. You can remove HDR while retaining 4k / 12bit / 4:2:2 / 24p. You can also fool the sending device into believing your display is capable of 4k60p by changing the EDID and then using the scaler to convert all 4k60p to 4k60p 8bit 4:2:0 for the display. I don't have an XB1S to test, but this should enable HDR output from it.

To disable HDR:

Select the HDR/AVI tab.

First impressions:
It seems to be beneficial on Oblivion but not on Warcraft. I've mentioned earlier that Warcraft UHD looked very good overall in HDR. In order to take advantage of this capability it will require two memory settings on the 5040, one for HDR and one for SDR. And as far as I can tell, changing the setting to toggle HDR requires the GUI on a PC. It may be possible to toggle this setting with one of the macro key combinations, but I haven't investigated that yet. The device is a little finicky. It increases the HDMI sync/lock time by about 10 seconds but I could get used to it. I think the benefit of stripping HDR is going to depend on the movie you're watching. I didn't have time to perform another calibration of my Digital Cinema input, so all of these photos use the same settings I have been using for HDR. The stripped versions clearly need some adjustment in the brightness/contrast department. One of the biggest things I noticed was the mountains behind Medivh. Look at the detail in the background on HDR vs SDR. Although the picture is clearly brighter in SDR, I'm not sure it looks better universally.

Part of me is starting to wonder if we've just become accustomed to that SDR look and there isn't anything wrong with HDR other than our own perception.
thank you for this! my thoughts are like yours getting accustom to what this pj gives you.not a fan of ninja turtles i purchase the 4k hdr disc last night after reading a review.as always really needing sleep i watched the whole movie. the hdr really shows what this pj gives you as a gift. i cal digital cinema and natural for best picture and switched back and forth.digital cinema won. even though natural had a little more hdr pop (watching with more ambient light) with cinema just took you breath away.
post #2770 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

To disable HDR:

Select the HDR/AVI tab.

First impressions:

SDR is clearly brighter, but in most all of them, especially after the first, HDR is clearly more detailed. Good pop, and good pics! Thanks.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #2771 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Titanfall 2 trailer on the 6040ub / 9300.

Adrienn and McBadden like this.
post #2772 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Breeze View Post
ROKU + HDR

Hi guys,

Need some help summarizing this HDR issue. (I've read all 2600 posts but that was before I got the projector and looking back several pages I haven't found the info again)

I have the 5040UB and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. However, I have not been successful getting HDR to work from Roku which is my primary source. I recently upgraded from the Roku 4 to the Roku 4 Ultra which does have HDR support, as well as running the latest firmware on both. I tried connecting directly with a Redmere cable and also an Amazon cable (no receiver in the pathway), both rated for 18G. Still no HDR on either YouTube or Vudu. The 4K signals look incredible but I would love to figure out HDR too. Do I need to get a UHD Player? HD Fury?

Links to previously posted solutions are welcomed!

I have been able to get it to work from roku's Amazon app mostly... and rarely from Roku's Netflix app. I often have to change from 4K HDR tv to 1080p and back... sometimes physically rebooting the Roku. It is not usable and I plan on opening an issue with Roku about it later this week or early next week. Meanwhile it works very reliably from my Philip 4K player and Amazon Fire 4K. This is with two different 18gbs cables, one being a MP Luxe active 50 foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2773 of 17851 Old 11-16-2016, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

To disable HDR:

Select the HDR/AVI tab.

First impressions:

Great info, thanks for sharing! Have you been able to achieve 4K/60hz 4.2.0 at 10 bit? Can the wireless unit do it?
post #2774 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSprocket View Post
Meanwhile it works very reliably from my Philip 4K player and Amazon Fire 4K. This is with two different 18gbs cables, one being a MP Luxe active 50 foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are getting HDR from the AFTV4K? Is that via Netflix, Prime Video or something else? More details please! (Prepares for crushing disappointment due to misinterpreting previous discussion...)
post #2775 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You need the Linker (or similiar) or the wireless unit to get hdr from Xbox (I have have both wireless and Linker, did a lot of testing).
Linker for full hdr compatbility (movies + games)
Wireless for hdr movies only.
post #2776 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:

To disable HDR:

Select the HDR/AVI tab.

As stated in the Linker thread by HDFury, you can also use edid 10, so you won't need a pc after the first setup.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...l#post48059201
post #2777 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Well, from the images you posted, I definitely prefer HDR.
post #2778 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

To disable HDR:

Select the HDR/AVI tab.

First impressions:

So, I just tried this as well with my ps4 pro + linker.
When the HDR is stripped, it's basically the same effect as going to epson's menu and selecting SDR when there's an HDR input. Basically, the image looks super washed out.

Am I doing something wrong here?
post #2779 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximTre View Post
You need the Linker (or similiar) or the wireless unit to get hdr from Xbox (I have have both wireless and Linker, did a lot of testing).

Linker for full hdr compatbility (movies + games)

Wireless for hdr movies only.

Are you saying 5040 wired and linker I can get full HDR for movies and games? For both Xbox one S and PS4 pro?

post #2780 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:

To disable HDR:

Select the HDR/AVI tab.

First impressions:

HDR definitely looks better, but as you said you didn't have time to calibrate. It looks like the SDR ones do need some brightness and contrast calibration., at minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post

When the HDR is stripped, it's basically the same effect as going to epson's menu and selecting SDR when there's an HDR input. Basically, the image looks super washed out.

Did you recalibrate ?
post #2781 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Are you saying 5040 wired and linker I can get full HDR for movies and games? For both Xbox one S and PS4 pro?

Xbox S needs the Linker with the wired connection or it won't enable hdr at all.
Ps4 pro doesn't, as it recognizes the limited hdmi port and adapts to it. On the epson sdr is 2160p/4:2:0/60hz/8bit, hdr is 1080p/4:4:4/60hz/12bit (games, don't forget the Pro isn't a bd uhd player). You can use the Linker on the pro to get a 2160p/4:2:0/60hz/8bit/HDR, but with 8bit color you'll get banding.
post #2782 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:

It shouldn't be wahsed out, it should be a regular sdr image, definitely not as when you select the wrong range in the projector settings.
post #2783 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Xbox S needs the Linker with the wired connection or it won't enable hdr at all.

Ps4 pro doesn't, as it recognizes the limited hdmi port and adapts to it. On the epson sdr is 2160p/4:2:0/60hz/8bit, hdr is 1080p/4:4:4/60hz/12bit (games, don't forget the Pro isn't a bd uhd player). You can use the Linker on the pro to get a 2160p/4:2:0/60hz/8bit/HDR, but with 8bit color you'll get banding.

Thanks for the info. So do you suggest getting wireless 5040 ? Or take the risk with wired 5040 and get linker and hope PS4 pro has a patch to make it work with 4K HDR in games?

Or play PS4 pro at 1080P with HDR and upscale to 4K using Epson?

post #2784 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
HDR definitely looks better, but as you said you didn't have time to calibrate. It looks like the SDR ones do need some brightness and contrast calibration., at minimum.

Did you recalibrate ?
Not calibrated yet, but my point is that the linker seems to merely turn off the HDR flag which is the same effect as selecting SDR in the projector.
So if you already have a player which is compatible with epson's hdr restriction (such as ps4 pro), there really is no need to get a linker.

Maybe i just have the wrong expectation of what the linker can do.

Quote:
As stated in the Linker thread by HDFury, you can also use edid 10, so you won't need a pc after the first setup.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...l#post48059201
I tried this and ps4 doesnt detect hdr with this edid. So it seems that all it's doing is it is telling the ps4 that it supports wcg but not bt2020. However, ps4 only allows wcg when hdr is turned on. So the only way to strip hdr that i found is to also leave the hdr id blank.

Last edited by Waikis; 11-17-2016 at 04:51 AM.
post #2785 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Not calibrated yet, but my point is that the linker seems to merely turn off the HDR flag which is the same effect as selecting SDR in the projector.
So if you already have a player which is compatible with epson's hdr restriction (such as ps4 pro), there really is no need to get a linker.

Maybe i just have the wrong expectation of what the linker can do.
The Linker is fine, the Epson can't convert hdr to sdr or sdr to hdr. You can force a color range, but the epson is not converting anything, just using the wrong color range (which will lead to errors in the image)

To check if you're getting the right signal from the Linker, check the info page on the epson:
bt2020/hdr2 -> regular hdr
rec709/sdr -> regular sdr
br2020/sdr -> what the epson show using the Linker with correct settings
post #2786 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
The Linker is fine, the Epson can't convert hdr to sdr or sdr to hdr. You can force a color range, but the epson is not converting anything, just using the wrong color range (which will lead to errors in the image)

To check if you're getting the right signal from the Linker, check the info page on the epson:
bt2020/hdr2 -> regular hdr
rec709/sdr -> regular sdr
br2020/sdr -> what the epson show using the Linker with correct settings
Yep bt2020 sdr is what i'm getting. With the game that i'm using (uncharted 4), the image looks like it has this greyish filter on it.
post #2787 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
This is a problem with the XB1S. It is expecting an 18gbps signal chain and the 6040/5040 only does 10.2gbps. It could be corrected with a software update by Microsoft, but I wouldn't hold out hope for that to occur quickly. In theory an HDFury Linker or Integral should make this work. As I'm still in the testing phase with my own Linker, I'm not ready to advise anyone to shell out $150 for it just yet. I have my laptop today so hopefully I will have some time to test it again this evening.
Its a more subtle problem than that. Its plausible, although I think unlikely, they'll fix the UHD player to properly output 4:2:0. Currently it mandates 4:4:4, which is stupid because the disks themselves are 4:2:0. But there's a tiny handful of 4K HDR-compatible devices that have the problem... its hard to imagine a PM bubbling that issue up as a priority over everything else they've got on their backlog.

For other apps (streaming apps, games, etc), its really not plausible they'll support it. Those run at the native framerate of your system (either 50fps or 60fps), and requires 10bpp 4:2:0 to enable HDR. For a slew of reasons, you can be certain they'll never allow the framerate to be set lower (locked to 30fps, for example)... all of its output resolutions are 60fps, and it won't go below that when its in a mode using its compositing engine. That's an API level problem -- there's no reporting from an app or game back to the OS about what the target framerate is, so Windows 10 can't say "hey, they don't need 60fps, let me allow this to go back to 30fps so 10bit HDR works". And if they were going to add it, it'd be a new capability in the core Windows stack, and *those* are even harder to get done.
gnolivos likes this.
post #2788 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried this and ps4 doesnt detect hdr with this edid. So it seems that all it's doing is it is telling the ps4 that it supports wcg but not bt2020. However, ps4 only allows wcg when hdr is turned on. So the only way to strip hdr that i found is to also leave the hdr id blank.
I had the same experience. Any of the EDIDs that do not contain HDR (even BT2020 EDIDs) caused my Philips to revert to BT709. This shows up on the Epson info screen and in the HDFury control panel.

Last edited by c.kingsley; 11-17-2016 at 05:42 AM.
post #2789 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep bt2020 sdr is what i'm getting. With the game that i'm using (uncharted 4), the image looks like it has this greyish filter on it.
Mine looked similar. It looked better if I flipped over to Cinema where I've done a basic calibration for blu ray. I think it needs some adjustment. I haven't been able to get my UHD patterns to display yet because the Philips doesn't support the .mp4 or .ts encoding of the samples I have.
post #2790 of 17851 Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 AM

I tried the edid 10 setting with my samsung, and it works in getting rid of hdr.
But as sdr is way worse than hdr, I reverted to normal state.

I did some testing with PS4 Pro and Xbox One S and it's right, hdr it's not detected, so you have to use the default edid setting (or the first one if I can remember) and get rid of hdr flag on the fly (but you need a pc for that, not very convinient. A bluetooth adapter it's on the way, no ETA but it's coming).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5040ub power , atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page