AVS Forum banner

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

3M views 22K replies 2K participants last post by  ask_j 
#1 · (Edited)

MSRP: $2999.00

SCROLL DOWN FOR KNOWN ISSUES

The brilliant HDR-compatible home theater projector with 4K Enhancementb.

Offering exceptional color performance, the Home Cinema 5040UB delivers immersive experiences. Featuring 4K Enhancement Technology, this brilliant home theater projector supports 4K streaming devices and Ultra HD Blu-ray content. It's also compatible with High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, displaying an extraordinary range of brightness levels with deep, dramatic blacks. Delivering 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness, the 5040UB is ideal for a variety of rooms. Its expansive color gamut displays the entire sRGB and DCI color spaces3. A 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio ensures rich detail in both bright and dark scenes, while its 16-piece glass lens achieves stunning clarity.

Up to 3x Brighter Colors with Epson*

Brilliant image quality requires high color brightness. Epson 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Brighter Colors than leading competitive projectors.* Delivering 2500 lumens of color brightness and 2500 lumens of white brightness, the PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB uses 3LCD, 3-chip technology for brilliant images with true-to-life color.

Model:V11H71302

Projection System:Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine

Native Resolution:1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4K enhancement

Color Brightness:2500 lumens

White Brightness:2500 lumens

Product Guides & Additional Information:

http://m.epson.com/alf_upload/pdfs/projectors/brochure_5040UB_specs.pdf

Key Features

Bright and Colorful

Features 2500 lumens of color brightness (color light output)1 and 2500 lumens of white brightness (white light output)1

4K Enhancement Technology

Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology delivers astonishing picture quality — every subtle intricacy is captured.

Contrast Ratio

Up to 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio

Lens Shift

Equipped with horizontal and vertical lens shift, to help configure projector setup

1080p

Supports full HD 1080p resolution

3-Dimensional Picture

2D & 3D Full HD technology puts you right in the middle of exciting, lifelike adventures, and Bright 3D Drive allows for bright, 3D projection.

4K Enhancement Technology— accepts 4K input and supports HDCP 2.2 for truly immersive scenes with 4K content

HDR compatible — enjoy HDR content, with an extremely wide range of brightness levels for images bursting with real-life color

Bright — ideal for a variety of lighting conditions.

The Home Cinema 5040UB has:

Color Brightness: 2500 lumens2

White Brightness: 2500 lumens2

Expansive color gamut — get brilliant, color-rich performance that displays the entire sRGB color space, plus DCI in Digital Cinema Mode

Dramatic Ultra Black levels — an improved iris design delivers up to a 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio

Remarkable new cinema lens — designed and manufactured in Japan, it features a 16-piece glass structure optimized for 4K performance and precision

Epson Image Enhancement Technology — features Super-resolution and improved Detail Enhancement to sharpen and refine images for lifelike smoothness and clarity

Powered lens position memory — preset up to 10 positions for motorized focus, zoom and lens shift; features 2.1x zoom and ultra wide lens shift

Outstanding service — 2-year limited warranty and toll-free support

Eco Features

RoHS compliant

Recyclable product4

Epson America, Inc. is a SmartWay[emoji769] Transport Partner5

For more information on Epson's environmental programs, go to www.epson.com/environment

****TIPS****

Manually Setting HDR
Menu -> Signal -> Advanced

**********video explaining 4:4:4**********

Royboy 365 suggested a spot for known issues

*****KNOWN ISSUES*****

From Epson regarding the HDR issue:

Epson is aware of this, and so far the testing has shown only one manufactures (Philips) where it does do the HDR. There has been a request to the engineers for a fix.

The Samsung UBD-8500 does not pass 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. Waiting on firmware update.

Kpump is also reporting that the Epson does not detect HDR from the shield after trying several cables.

Looks like the Philips player is the only player that provides HDR to the Epson at this time.

Member Ix reports being able to stream in HDR on Nvidia device. I do not have the latest Panasonic UHD player to report on that.

Thanks to cnorth12
Samsung player has HDR streaming through Amazon App.

No Netflix HDR as of yet. Firmware update supposedly anytime, but who knows?

Philips has only 2 apps, Netflix and Youtube no HDR.

Xbox One S offers Netflix HDR streaming but that's it and of course the 4k blu-ray player that comes built in

From wbcollegekid
I spoke to one of the senior technical gurus at Epson. Several days ago I alerted them to the fact that the Samsung UBD-8500 was not passing 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. The guy who I spoke to today said because of that they went and purchased the Xbox One S, Samsung, and Phillips. As I stated yesterday, and now confirmed by Epson, the Phillips is the only player capable of doing 10/12bit. The Rec.2020 is only a container for the P3 color space. The Epson cannot natively do Rec.2020. When the Epson receives HDR, it converts it to the HDR2 preset, which is for P3 color space for the Digital Cinema setting. However, manually switching to HDR1 preset in Bright Cinema mode gives you P3 color space. Bright Cinema mode is best for HDR.The partial 12bit in the manual refers to it dithering 10bit signal to 12bit. Many current TVs that advertise HDR are 8bit that dither to 10bit. All in all, I am very happy with the capabilities of this projector

So here's my latest crack at trying to sum up compatibility between the Epsons and various devices. This isn't perfect. Please post corrections with supporting pictures or documentation. If we can get this close to correct, maybe it can be stickied somewhere.

Source for some of this info: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Baseline info:
• The HDMI chipset within the Epson has a bandwidth limitation of 10 Gbps
• There are limitations to the signal that the Epson can accept due to this chipset
• 4k Blu-rays are encoded as 4k24 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit Rec709 (non HDR) or 10-bit Rec2020 (HDR10) neither of which are supported by the HDMI 2.0 specification
• Some form of signal conversion must occur in order for any device using HDMI 2.0 to accept a 4K Blu-ray signal
• The signal transmitted by the device must fall within the Epson’s 10Gbs HDMI chipset limitation for it to be displayed on the projector

Samsung K8500 4K Blu-ray Player & Xbox One S
• Both convert Blu-rays to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709 which Epson can support
• HDR movies with Rec2020 color are reduced to Rec709, so HDR is stripped
• The resulting image for HDR movies generally appears too dark on the Epson
Phillips, Panasonic, Oppo (hopefully)
• Each convert the signal to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec 709 which the Epson supports
• HDR movies with Rec 2020 color are converted to 4k24 / 4:2:2 / 12-bit Rec2020 which the Epson supports
• The resulting image generally appears appropriate other than the Epson not having enough lumens to display HDR as intended
Fury & Oppo (hopefully)
• Both send an Epson compatible signal, but have the ability to strip HDR, while leaving the expanded Rec2020 color intact for those who feel the Epson is too dark for HDR
Roku Ultra (4K)
• Sends 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709 which is supported by Epson
• HDR movies with Rec2020 color are reduced to Rec709, so HDR is stripped (despite the screen showing 8-bit HDR BT2020, HDR BT2020 requires at least 10-bit color – is Rec2020 color really being preserved here? )
Amazon Fire Stick
• HDR signal is downgraded to 4k / Rec709
YouTube
• YouTube 4k videos are natively up to 4k60 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit
• If your player can send that native signal, the Epson can handle it
• Players that send the signal properly include: ????
Netflix
• Netflix’s 4k videos are natively ?????
• If your player can send that native signal, the Epson can handle it
• Players that send the signal properly include: ????
Gaming (PCs, 4k games on PS4 Pro & Xbox Scorpio)
• The Epson’s HDMI chipset (10 GBPS limitation) will only accept 4k60 at 4:2:0 / 8-bit color
• It is unknown whether these gaming devices will send 4k signals in this format. If for example they send the signal as 4k60 / 4:4:4 / 10-bit, the signal will fail or be downgraded to 4k60 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit color
• Either way, 4:4:4 will get downgraded to 4:2:0 and/or color will be downgraded to 8-bit (non-HDR) assuming the source was HDR to begin with
Future video devices:
• High Frame Rate (HFR) 4k Blu-ray will display with nothing higher than 8-bit color on the Epson
• If a future format support 4:4:4, color can be no higher than 8-bit for it to work on the Epson
• Dolby Vision’s goal is to be 12-bit color. This should work with the Epson, assuming the player can send the signal as 4:2:2​

See less See more
#8 ·
Yay!! An official thread.

I will reach through my screen and beat anyone that mentions the word JVC. :)
:D I second that :D

I will be purchasing this projector in a couple of weeks, looking forward to gathering info here on my way there.

#9 ·
:D I second that :D

I will be purchasing this projector in a couple of weeks, looking forward to gathering info here on my way there.
You won't regret it. Had it almost a week and really haven't dialed it in. Need to have someone come out and calibrate it for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Question about HDR and color.

I'm currently watching The Revenant in 4K Ultra HD with the Samsung UBD-K8500.

Movie packaging claims HDR and Wide Color Spectrum.

Yet, color shows as 8 bit BT.709 4:4:4 and HDR2 (not sure what the 2 means).

I thought we would be seeing 10 bit BT.2020 with these movies. Am I missing something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I received my 5040 on Wednesday. I took the day off to get it installed. My projector is shelf mounted 16 ft from the screen. My seating is probably 15-16ft depending on recline position. I have a 120” Elite manual SMR pull down. (That's right. Manual)

My frame of reference is a 60” LG plasma in the living room and a 50” Panasonic plasma in the bedroom.

I currently don't own a blue ray player. I'm waiting on OPPO to release their 4K player. So I'm using Roku and Amazon Fire to stream 4K content and my son’s Xbox for older blue rays.

For the first few days I used att unverse to provide local and hdtv/cable. I decided to cut the cord and currently I'm using only streaming sources and the Xbox.

HDMI 1 is connected by cat6 cables. I am using a atlona HDMI/cat6 switcher between my Roku and the projector for 4K content. It converts back to HDMI at the projector.

HDMI 2 is connected by a 35 ft blue ridge cable from my Yamaha a840 receiver. I have my Amazon Fire and Xbox going throughout my receiver.

My projector is setup in our family living room. It basically includes three rooms (living, dining and kitchen). It has (6) large windows and (1) door. It also has a arched opening that leads to the front part of the house. No way for complete light control.

I've watched a bit of football both at night and during the day. The Cowboy game against Seattle on the local CBS channel via uverse was soft. It was watchable but noticeable softer than games on the NFL network. The picture was definitely a step down from some of the shows on Netflix. A replay of the Cowboys Dolphins game on the NFL channel was really good. I used bright cinema/medium fan for both games. It looked fine with a few lights on. I was worried the light would make the screen unwatchable but everyone was happy with the picture with a bit of light.

As a family we have watched a episode of Strange Things every night streamed from Netflix. The info screen shows rec709 8bit sdr.

This is my first projector but the picture just blows me away. Strange Things has a ton of dark creepy night scenes and they look fantastic. It has already become must family viewing at night (my kids are 19 and 21). Last night my oldest asked why our local theater was not as good. (Ok kissing up to dad but it worked ).

At night I have pretty good control of lighting. Not pitch black but close. I use either bright cinema or cinema/ fan on Eco.

I have no issue with fan noise. I've never felt the need to increase it beyond medium. At this level it is inaudible to me.

I have done no calibration at all. Plan on buying a disc and doing some adjustments this weekend.

I could not be happier. I've had this thing for a week and already have 15 hours on the bulb.

#14 ·
Question about HDR and color.

I'm currently watching The Revenant in 4K Ultra HD with the Samsung UBD-K8500.

Movie packaging claims HDR and Wide Color Spectrum.

Yet, color shows as 8 bit BT.709 4:4:4 and HDR2 (not sure what the 2 means).

I thought we would be seeing 10 bit BT.2020 with these movies. Am I missing something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This posted by wbcollegekid on another thread.

I spoke to one of the senior technical gurus at Epson. Several days ago I alerted them to the fact that the Samsung UBD-8500 was not passing 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. The guy who I spoke to today said because of that they went and purchased the Xbox One S, Samsung, and Phillips. As I stated yesterday, and now confirmed by Epson, the Phillips is the only player capable of doing 10/12bit. The Rec.2020 is only a container for the P3 color space. The Epson cannot natively do Rec.2020. When the Epson receives HDR, it converts it to the HDR2 preset, which is for P3 color space for the Digital Cinema setting. However, manually switching to HDR1 preset in Bright Cinema mode gives you P3 color space. Bright Cinema mode is best for HDR.The partial 12bit in the manual refers to it dithering 10bit signal to 12bit. Many current TVs that advertise HDR are 8bit that dither to 10bit. All in all, I am very happy with the capabilities of this projector

#15 ·
Samsung SSG-5100GB glasses from my 2013 Samsung TV work fine with the 5040. They are much cheaper than the Epson branded ones.
I've only had the projector for 5 days. I haven't purchased any 3D glasses yet. I would love to know if their are cheaper alternatives to the Epson branded glasses.
I have some Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses leftover from my Sony 40es, and can confirm that they pair easily and work! Should be able to find those fairly cheaply.

#17 ·
Awesome, ill pick up them up tomorrow seeing as they cheap.
Yep, they work great. Even the ones I have from 5 years ago that came with my D8000 work well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

#19 ·
My level of intrigue is beyond measure:)

Are you guys happy with the out of box presets?
Looking to throw an image size of 165" tops and no smaller than 135".....Looks like the 5040UB may be up to the challenge.:D

#20 ·
Since I just notice u have a Panasonic plasma, somebody did tell me that the 3D glasses for Panasonic also work on Epson projector. Can you try that out to see if it is true. Thanks.

I received my 5040 on Wednesday. I took the day off to get it installed. My projector is shelf mounted 16 ft from the screen. My seating is probably 15-16ft depending on recline position. I have a 120” Elite manual SMR pull down. (That's right. Manual)

My frame of reference is a 60” LG plasma in the living room and a 50” Panasonic plasma in the bedroom.

I currently don't own a blue ray player. I'm waiting on OPPO to release their 4K player. So I'm using Roku and Amazon Fire to stream 4K content and my son’s Xbox for older blue rays.

For the first few days I used att unverse to provide local and hdtv/cable. I decided to cut the cord and currently I'm using only streaming sources and the Xbox.

HDMI 1 is connected by cat6 cables. I am using a atlona HDMI/cat6 switcher between my Roku and the projector for 4K content. It converts back to HDMI at the projector.

HDMI 2 is connected by a 35 ft blue ridge cable from my Yamaha a840 receiver. I have my Amazon Fire and Xbox going throughout my receiver.

My projector is setup in our family living room. It basically includes three rooms (living, dining and kitchen). It has (6) large windows and (1) door. It also has a arched opening that leads to the front part of the house. No way for complete light control.

I've watched a bit of football both at night and during the day. The Cowboy game against Seattle on the local CBS channel via uverse was soft. It was watchable but noticeable softer than games on the NFL network. The picture was definitely a step down from some of the shows on Netflix. A replay of the Cowboys Dolphins game on the NFL channel was really good. I used bright cinema/medium fan for both games. It looked fine with a few lights on. I was worried the light would make the screen unwatchable but everyone was happy with the picture with a bit of light.

As a family we have watched a episode of Strange Things every night streamed from Netflix. The info screen shows rec709 8bit sdr.

This is my first projector but the picture just blows me away. Strange Things has a ton of dark creepy night scenes and they look fantastic. It has already become must family viewing at night (my kids are 19 and 21). Last night my oldest asked why our local theater was not as good. (Ok kissing up to dad but it worked ).

At night I have pretty good control of lighting. Not pitch black but close. I use either bright cinema or cinema/ fan on Eco.

I have no issue with fan noise. I've never felt the need to increase it beyond medium. At this level it is inaudible to me.

I have done no calibration at all. Plan on buying a disc and doing some adjustments this weekend.

I could not be happier. I've had this thing for a week and already have 15 hours on the bulb.