Short Throw (3 - 6 feet (1 - 2m) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yangh

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Short Throw (3 - 6 feet (1 - 2m)

Hello I'm looking for short throw projector into a small meeting room.

The screen size is approx

Requirements:
resolution: Full HD (1920x1080) or higher
good for projection from ceiling

usage: presentations + some videos

our screen size is 6,5 feet 1:1 (counted from meters 2x2m)

I've checked the forums and some reviews and selected these candidates but I would welcome all suggestion because I do not have previous experience with projectors and it's requirements.

Optoma GT1080 or Optoma EH200ST
Optoma EH415ST

LG PF1000U

BenQ HT1085ST

I do not have specific budget but I would like to have 3 or 4 projectors which would cover the price range $600 - $3000.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
The BenQ HT1085ST and its just announced updated replacement, the HT2150ST, will produce the best overall image of the short throw projectors you have identified. There are not many short throw 1080p projectors available at any price.

It's unusual to want a 16:9 native aspect ratio projector for a 1:1 aspect ratio screen. For example, the HT1085ST/HT2150ST will produce a 6.5' wide image from a range of 4' 6" to 5' 5" from the front of the lens to the screen. However, with 16:9 content the image will be only 3' 8" high on your 6' 5" high screen image area.

Short throw projectors generally do not have vertical lens shift. So you will need to either mount the projector in its optimum position to be square with the screen or use digital keystone to square the image, and keystone will at least slightly degrade the image and produce visible artifacts. The HT1085ST and HT2150ST are designed to be mounted with the center of the lens even with a point a few inches above the top of the screen image.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Optoma GT1080 is my first projector. I love it quite a bit. It's ultra-short throw (1:0.5) and I used to place it on the coffee table in my old living room. No problem to project a 100” screen. It's cheap ($600), small and light and fairly bright for 100". The picture quality is quite good although not as good as the SONY HW45ES I just bought to replace it. However the DLP has no convergence issue which is a huge plus.
Jacob305 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
The BenQ HT1085ST and its just announced updated replacement, the HT2150ST, will produce the best overall image of the short throw projectors you have identified. There are not many short throw 1080p projectors available at any price.

It's unusual to want a 16:9 native aspect ratio projector for a 1:1 aspect ratio screen. For example, the HT1085ST/HT2150ST will produce a 6.5' wide image from a range of 4' 6" to 5' 5" from the front of the lens to the screen. However, with 16:9 content the image will be only 3' 8" high on your 6' 5" high screen image area.

Short throw projectors generally do not have vertical lens shift. So you will need to either mount the projector in its optimum position to be square with the screen or use digital keystone to square the image, and keystone will at least slightly degrade the image and produce visible artifacts. The HT1085ST and HT2150ST are designed to be mounted with the center of the lens even with a point a few inches above the top of the screen image.
Thank you for your answer it was helpful for me.
Unfortunately I was not the one who purchased the screen, thinks here are going in bit different way .. first do then plan.. And I'm bumping my head against wall almost every day just to not get crazy.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
The main problem with projecting 16:9 content on a 1:1 screen is that while you will have black screen borders on the left and right, the top and bottom will have vacant white screen that will show up as light grey when a 16:9 image is projected. While this is not ideal for watching movies in a home theater, it's not as critical in a conference room, which I assume will be primarily used for presentations.

Will all content you will be projecting be in 16:9 format? If so there's a positive for a projector that lacks vertical lens shift as you will not be trying to precisely square up a 16:9 image in a 16:9 viewing area. That means projector mounting height is not as critical since you will have 6.5' of vertical image space and your 3' 8" image can fall anywhere within that 6.5' vertical window. In that case you could simply lower the screen to the point that the bottom of the image lines up with the black border on the bottom of the screen so that you would only have white space at the top of the screen.

You didn't mention how bright a projector you need. At their brightest settings the BenQ models will work pretty well in a reasonable amount of ambient light. However, if the conference room is brightly lit during presentations you might need a brighter business projector. That would require additional research as bright, short throw business projectors with 1080p definition might be hard to find.

By the way, for conference room use it would be an advantage to go with BenQ's newer HT2150ST over the older HT1085ST as the newer model has a revised case to reduce fan noise and light leakage that would make it less distracting during presentations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
beamer , Benq , Optoma , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page