HELP! I think I've scratched my w1070s lens?!?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HELP! I think I've scratched my w1070s lens?!?!

Last week I bought a BenQ W1070. Over the last week I've noticed that the right hand side was noticeable less sharp then the left. The strange thing was when I covered the right half of the beam with my hand the left side would turn crisp and sharp. I thought that it was a smudge , so without thinking I grab some tissue paper and began rubbing it. When I'd finished and look at the result I was horrified. The entire screen was extremely blurry. I tried using a microfibre cloth, but it made no difference. Even now , if I cover half the beam the other side goes sharp? What can I do?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Last week I bought a BenQ W1070. Over the last week I've noticed that the right hand side was noticeable less sharp then the left. The strange thing was when I covered the right half of the beam with my hand the left side would turn crisp and sharp. I thought that it was a smudge , so without thinking I grab some tissue paper and began rubbing it. When I'd finished and look at the result I was horrified. The entire screen was extremely blurry. Even now , if I cover half the beam the other side goes sharp? What can I do?!?!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi Sean, sorry to hear that. I am afraid I cant help in this regard. but did you talked with Benq customer services?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 2610
If the lens isn't scratched, BenQ may be able to diagnose the blurriness. In all likelihood, you would probably need to return / exchange the PJ.

But if you did scratch the lens, IMO there's not much you can do.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziad Talkhan View Post
Hi Sean, sorry to hear that. I am afraid I cant help in this regard. but did you talked with Benq customer services?
Not yet, no. They offer very poor customer support in ireland. I can't find any emails or contact numbers. I bought it off a site called richersounds.ie , and I'm going to see if they can help me in anyway. Do you think tissue paper could have scratched the lens?
And how come if I cover half the beam the image turns sharp? Sorry for pestering you, I'm just really worried...
post #7 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you tried to adjust the focus ring? I am not as familiar with this model but on my BenQ there is a ring around the lens like a camera that you can manually adjust for focus.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I have. It dosnt make any difference
post #9 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there an auto focus feature on that projector? Its strange that covering half of the projected image would affect the rest of the image.

Do replacement lamps come with a new lens? I just bought my first BenQ so I have yet to replace a lamp.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshfever View Post
Is there an auto focus feature on that projector? Its strange that covering half of the projected image would affect the rest of the image.

Do replacement lamps come with a new lens? I just bought my first BenQ so I have yet to replace a lamp.
I'm pretty sure it dosnt have auto focus, although I'm not positive. As for the lamps having new lenses, I've no idea. This is my first projector so I'm clueless...
post #11 of 12 Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
You have to be extremely careful when cleaning projector lenses because you can damage the coating that helps improve optical performance over uncoated glass. Dry tissue paper can be pretty abrasive and projector manufacturers recommend against using it. But it almost sounds as if putting pressure on the front of the lens may be causing the focus to shift. It's possible the lens elements were not properly installed at the factory and may be loose. If the projector is square with the screen it should be in equal focus on both sides. If the projector is not square with the screen you would notice that it would have a trapezoid shape instead of a rectangle. I would contact the vendor and tell them about the focus problem and not mention trying to clean the lens with tissue paper as you may be lucky and didn't damage the lens coating.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2257 View Post
Not yet, no. They offer very poor customer support in ireland. I can't find any emails or contact numbers. I bought it off a site called richersounds.ie , and I'm going to see if they can help me in anyway. Do you think tissue paper could have scratched the lens?
And how come if I cover half the beam the image turns sharp? Sorry for pestering you, I'm just really worried...
No, a new lamp does not include the lens. And the W1070 does not have an auto focus feature so why it looks sharper when you cover half the light path is a mystery to me.

You say "tissue paper". Was this one of the brands for wiping your nose that includes a lotion to avoid chafing the skin ? If so, then you have smeared your lens with an oily residue.

I am not sure what would be a safe product to remove oils from the lens. I would think isopropyl alcohol, but I would not risk it without talking to Benq and getting their OK first.

These contain isopropyl aclohol: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bausch-Lo...3a8b79&veh=cse

There are lens cleaner sprays and wipes for photography that might be safe for the coatings on the lens. Also includes alcohol: https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moi...g%2Bwipes&th=1

Please come back and let us know what you do.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page