Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 164Likes

post #451 of 627 Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
how uniform is black on hw45 ? the lightleak on the corners, how much there is and does anyone that has seen many projectors know is the lightleak in corners about the same in every projector or does the amount and what corner leaked change throughout the product line ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 627 Old 08-17-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
how uniform is black on hw45 ? the lightleak on the corners, how much there is and does anyone that has seen many projectors know is the lightleak in corners about the same in every projector or does the amount and what corner leaked change throughout the product line ?

Uniformity varies unit to unit. I definitely have more gray towards the upper left, but I only noticed it prior to calibrating the contrast and brightness. Some people have complained it's "bad". YMMV.

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||
post #453 of 627 Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Uniformity varies unit to unit. I definitely have more gray towards the upper left, but I only noticed it prior to calibrating the contrast and brightness. Some people have complained it's "bad". YMMV.
the hw65 same quality deviations ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 627 Old 08-17-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
the hw65 same quality deviations ?

It's exactly the same hardware with the exception that the Hw65 has a dynamic iris and an rj45 Ethernet port for connecting to a computer for calibration.

post #455 of 627 Old 08-20-2018, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, I did some searches and did not find my answer.

If I have made adjustments to several of the presets (Cinema Film 1, TV, Game, etc) and decide I want to take "Game" back to the factory reset, will that take all the presets (Cinema Film 1, etc) back to factory settings? Basically will I loose all the adjustments made to multiple presets?

Thank You

Last edited by BeBeep; 08-20-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #456 of 627 Old 08-26-2018, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBeep View Post
I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, I did some searches and did not find my answer.

If I have made adjustments to several of the presets (Cinema Film 1, TV, Game, etc) and decide I want to take "Game" back to the factory reset, will that take all the presets (Cinema Film 1, etc) back to factory settings? Basically will I loose all the adjustments made to multiple presets?

Thank You
Not feeling the love. LOL
post #457 of 627 Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Thank you all for inputs @gene4ht , @ereed , @Dave in Green

I just received today 45es and I'm just simply sold. What a PJ and I just relize there is no more reason chase for bigger TV. Will keep 65" will just update to HDR model and I will definitelly keep PJ. It is excellent how nice and easy you can watch movies. PQ is great on 45es. Color space is only BT709 even with 4k disk , I know it is not many PJ can do BT2020 but Gene4ht is your Epson to able do it?

I know my non HDR TV for some reason can do BT2020 and many people call that to be lucky

Now when I start swimming in to PJ world I'm wondering why I waited soo long !!!!
is that the out of the box picture or did you calibrate it?
post #458 of 627 Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am a proud new owner of a VPLHW45ES. I have 11 hours on it and it is still out-of-the-box settings. It's simply amazing. The first movie I watched was "gone in 60 seconds" because it was later at night and I am saving the good stuff for when I can have it at appropriate levels without having a mad wife. This is the only photo I thought to take but the picture quality is as good as any tv set I currently own except it's at 120" diagonal. I love it! That is all
post #459 of 627 Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Please Help: Sony VLP-HW45ES Projector Light issues

Hi Guys,

I am not sure how to explain this issue that has become a huge nuisance to me for the past couple of days.

I have a Sony VPLHW45ES projector which is mounted on a ceiling 10ft away from the 120 inch screen. I had this projector for about 6 months and had no issues so far with 600 hrs on it.

2 days ago I noticed that my the picture is a brighter and bluer than usual, I tried to fiddle with the settings but to no avail. I then resetted all my projector settings and ran a calibration test which sort of made the colors a bit better but the brightness issue was still there. Yesterday what i realized was that though the screen is set at 120inch and the picture is also being projected at 120 inch there is lots of light NOT PICTURE that is spilling outside the of the screen all the way to the corner of the wall. Its not just horizontally but vertically as well where the light is hitting the ceiling as well as the carpet.

The light is so ambient that my camera wont be able to capture it. But I can see strong shadow if myself when i stand infront of the wall just like how one can see their shadow when the stand infront of the screen.

I hope you guys understand what the issue is and can help me through it.
post #460 of 627 Old 10-04-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycricket View Post
… I have a Sony VPLHW45ES projector which is mounted on a ceiling 10ft away from the 120 inch screen. ...
From 10' the biggest image an HW45ES can throw is 100". I can verify this as the front of my HW45ES lens is exactly 10' from a 100" screen and I can't zoom the lens any further to make the image bigger than 100". So your actual throw to your 120" screen must be at least 12'.

The issue you describe sounds like some kind of failure somewhere in the light path. If something like that happened to my HW45ES I'd file a warranty claim with Sony.
post #461 of 627 Old 10-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
From 10' the biggest image an HW45ES can throw is 100". I can verify this as the front of my HW45ES lens is exactly 10' from a 100" screen and I can't zoom the lens any further to make the image bigger than 100". So your actual throw to your 120" screen must be at least 12'.

The issue you describe sounds like some kind of failure somewhere in the light path. If something like that happened to my HW45ES I'd file a warranty claim with Sony.
Dave you are right. its not necessarily 10feet its probably more. I have been researching the issue and I think it is called light spilling. It is really annoying the hack out of me. Because A. the picture is pale and this looks like 300 dollar projector now, and B the light is all over the place and shadowing my center speaker and towers.
On call with Sony reps which are quite unhelpful so lets see.

Thanks Dave.
post #462 of 627 Old 10-04-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't recall anyone reporting massive light spill like that with an HW45ES so it seems to be a pretty unusual issue that would surely fall within the factory warranty.
post #463 of 627 Old 10-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
3rd party lamp / bulb review

(edit: updated to include lamp hours)

As someone who did as much searching as I could on the subject of 3rd party bulbs (and not wanting to pay $299 for the OEM bulb) I thought I would add my 2 cents in now that I've ordered and installed one.

The one I bought was from a vendor (wie7777) on eBay. The bulb cost me $159 and comes with a 180 warranty that starts the minute you click order, so you don't actually get 180 days out of it. There are several people on eBay selling VPLHW45ES lamps (some with a full year warranty) but I went with these guys because they were a) cheaper, b) based in the US, and c) have a TON of lamp sales and a very high rating on eBay.

My projector is two years old and had 3500 hours of mixed high/low usage when it started to give me the red "replace lamp / filter" warning. The bulb did not come with a new filter like the OEM one does but I just rinsed out the original one and honestly after it dried it looked brand new so I doubt it matters.

I should have taken a picture but I didn't think about writing this post until after the lamp was in so all I can say is that they look almost identical except the screw colors are different. The seller claims the housing is custom built but that it uses the exact same Phillips bulb as the OEM lamp. From what I can tell the bulbs did indeed look the same. The lamp housing even has the same yellow warning sticker on it and everything.

Once I popped the new lamp in the difference was immediate and dramatic. You don't realize as the projector slowly gets dimmer how much crappier things get but honestly if I had known it was going to improve things that much I would have swapped out the bulb a few months ago. It feels like I bought a new projector. We've only put about 10 hours or so on the new lamp but the colors and brightness are even better than I remember the original being (although that's probably just my memory). If I have any problems I will come back and update this post but for now I'm a very happy camper and will absolutely be ordering this cheaper lamp if I still have this projector in two years and have not succumbed to the upgrade bug.
David Ortiz and scottlindner like this.

Last edited by thinkthis; 10-11-2018 at 09:19 AM.
post #464 of 627 Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkthis View Post
As someone who did as much searching as I could on the subject of 3rd party bulbs (and not wanting to pay $299 for the OEM bulb) I thought I would add my 2 cents in now that I've ordered and installed one.

The one I bought was from a vendor (wie7777) on eBay. The bulb cost me $159 and comes with a 180 warranty that starts the minute you click order, so you don't actually get 180 days out of it. There are several people on eBay selling VPLHW45ES lamps (some with a full year warranty) but I went with these guys because they were a) cheaper, b) based in the US, and c) have a TON of lamp sales and a very high rating on eBay.

My projector is two years old and has a metric ton of hours on it. I haven't reset the hours yet (I just got the lamp and put it in so I need to) so I will update this post when I get a chance to check out where I was at but there was at least 2000+ hours of mixed high/low usage and the projector was starting to give me the red "replace lamp / filter" warning. The bulb did not come with a new filter like the OEM one does but I just rinsed out the original one and honestly after it dried it looked brand new so I doubt it matters.

I should have taken a picture but I didn't think about writing this post until after the lamp was in so all I can say is that they look almost identical except the screw colors are different. The seller claims the housing is custom built but that it uses the exact same Phillips bulb as the OEM lamp. From what I can tell the bulbs did indeed look the same. The lamp housing even has the same yellow warning sticker on it and everything.

Once I popped the new lamp in the difference was immediate and dramatic. You don't realize as the projector slowly gets dimmer how much crappier things get but honestly if I had known it was going to improve things that much I would have swapped out the bulb a few months ago. It feels like I bought a new projector. We've only put about 10 hours or so on the new lamp but the colors and brightness are even better than I remember the original being (although that's probably just my memory). If I have any problems I will come back and update this post but for now I'm a very happy camper and will absolutely be ordering this cheaper lamp if I still have this projector in two years and have not succumbed to the upgrade bug.

I used to order from wie when I had my Marantz projector. Good seller. Though with the Marantz bulb they were not the OEM Phoenix. Basically they were 1/4 the price and lasted about 1/2 as long. Overall a better deal than a branded Marantz replacement. If wie is sourcing OEM Phillips then that is great news for Sony PJ owners.

post #465 of 627 Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As always, compatible lamps remain a crap shoot. Some of the compatible lamps are virtually identical in performance to genuine replacement lamps, some are factory seconds that fall short in some areas and some are outright counterfeits that fall well short in many areas. Finding a reliable source with a solid track record is the key to getting the best bang for your buck.
post #466 of 627 Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yeah I was a bit nervous spending $160 on a potential dud but it exceeded expectations. Obviously I now have to test it and see how long it lasts compared to my OEM bulb.

On that note I checked the projector and can report that I enjoyed a little over 3500 hours of mixed usage (high and low) before I was told to replace the bulb.
post #467 of 627 Old 10-27-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for posting this on the lamp. We have the HW40ES and my second bulb...with around 2500 hours on it has started doing some slight flickering. So for now I popped in the first bulb and dropped the setting down to low for the time being while looking for a replacement.

I asked on our forum about other possible bulbs/lamps since I see quite a few on Amazon advertising 'Genuine Philips UHP Bulb'...and seems about 75% are happy saying brighter, some dimmer, some lasting 2000 hours and some only a few months. So I was wondering has there been like official reviews or data or expert opinions of these versus the actual Sony OEM? Thanks again for the write up....
post #468 of 627 Old 11-04-2018, 11:49 AM
J55

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if many 45ES owners read this thread any more, but I just bought a 65ES and the fan has an "electric motor" overtone which is a tad annoying. I'd like to know if anyone has the same, or do you guys have fans that only make the "woosh" sound due to moving air? The whirring sound is coming from the fan and not the PSU since it changes with fan speed.

I have build a few PCs with quality fans where the only sound is the inevitable wind noise. And this is how it should be IMO. But I feel a bit cheap to claim warranty due to the fan tone alone - not sure if Sony's even going to accept it. Otherwise this is a damn fine projector.
post #469 of 627 Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM

I have my fan set to high altitude(higher RPM) and I don't notice it. The PJ is mounted on the wall right behind my couch and maybe 2-3 ft above. Not exactly far away. Fans will always have some sound of moving air, but not a whirring sound. Neither should be audible over what you are watching though.
Calibratedlumens likes this.

post #470 of 627 Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Sony 45ES with a prismasonic anamorphic lens.

Hey guys. I bought a 45ES this summer and I am putting together a theatre setup in my living room. I have a question. Does anybody have experience using the Sony VPL-HW45ES with a lens like the Prismasonic H1000/1200/1400 etc? I want to use all the pj lamp light and all the panels pixels. I am willing to reduce image height a bit to ensure fit and geometry. My image height will be around 50-55" for the 16:9 image and I hope to use a constant height setup. My throw range will be 13.5 feet iirc. Does anybody have any experience with this? I have not used one of these prismasonic lens since I have a much older projector.
post #471 of 627 Old 11-08-2018, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Will Sony be updating their 1080p projector line in the near future? Looking to start building my home theater in the next 3 months and the 45ES is on the top of the list for now unless there will be a new model soon. Not really looking at 4K now due to cost (I'd rather have an excellent 1080p projector than entry-level 4K).

LG OLED65B7A | Samsung UN60H7150 | Hisense 50H6C
Denon AVR-X2200W | EMP Tek R55Ti/R56Ci/R5Bi | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sony UBP-X800 | PS3 Slim | PS4 Slim
Yamaha YAS-207
post #472 of 627 Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieroro View Post
Will Sony be updating their 1080p projector line in the near future? Looking to start building my home theater in the next 3 months and the 45ES is on the top of the list for now unless there will be a new model soon. Not really looking at 4K now due to cost (I'd rather have an excellent 1080p projector than entry-level 4K).

This is an owners thread not a future products discussion thread. If you have questions about the 45ES you are in the right place.

post #473 of 627 Old 11-09-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by richieroro View Post
45ES has been out for a while and Sony hasn't said anything about a replacement. They've release a couple of 4K models in the 5K range over the last year or two but nothing for 1080p projectors yet. The 45ES is a great projector so like you I'd like to upgrade to another Sony 1080p until 4K prices come down.
richieroro likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #474 of 627 Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
45ES has been out for a while and Sony hasn't said anything about a replacement. They've release a couple of 4K models in the 5K range over the last year or two but nothing for 1080p projectors yet. The 45ES is a great projector so like you I'd like to upgrade to another Sony 1080p until 4K prices come down.
I’m waiting on the new version too. I have a hw40es to hold me over until then.
post #475 of 627 Old 11-10-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
I’m waiting on the new version too. I have a hw40es to hold me over until then.
What he said.
keeper likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #476 of 627 Old 11-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
1800h of pleasure on my sony projector!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181110_111525.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	797.3 KB
ID:	2480684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181110_111823.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	828.7 KB
ID:	2480686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181110_112448.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	2480688  
Brian Hampton likes this.

RX-A3050 with 5.2.4
Martin Logan motion 40, 50xt, FX
Dual ULS-15 mk2
Sony VPL-HW45ES, 100'' Elunevision
DVP-5000St
post #477 of 627 Old 11-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
More screen shot with the original lamp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181110_113129.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	2480690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181110_113247.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	2480692  

RX-A3050 with 5.2.4
Martin Logan motion 40, 50xt, FX
Dual ULS-15 mk2
Sony VPL-HW45ES, 100'' Elunevision
DVP-5000St
post #478 of 627 Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 334
We discuss a lot about how good contrast is on the Sony but the richness of its colours is equally amazing.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #479 of 627 Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Thumbs up

Indeed...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HW45ES-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	941.8 KB
ID:	2481706   Click image for larger version

Name:	HW45ES-2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	2481708  
Brian Hampton and Legairre like this.

HT = Sony HW45ES @133" / Lumagen Radiance / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony x800 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI game PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 11-12-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #480 of 627 Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Liked: 29
wow nice pic DaGamePimp. the sony is for sure a darn nice unit i have about 1400 on mine still looks great.
DaGamePimp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page