Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 192Likes

post #571 of 684 Old 02-01-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjapp View Post
Hmmm, how would you describe the noise ? Air bliss or constant fan mecanical noise like the one i recorded ?

I have received a brand new unit and it has the same sound/noise. I don't get it, maybe i am very sensitive because of my work (sound engineer) ? Well actually my wife finds also the noise quite irritating.

Hmmm..

EDIT: Ok i have to be fair, the noise is slightly quieter. More acceptable but still noticable.

Could it be the way the space around the projector affects its noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 684 Old 02-01-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 281
If it's a buzzing type sound, it's most likely a loose power supply.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #573 of 684 Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Could it be the way the space around the projector affects its noise?

I don't think so because before putting it on the shelf above the sitting position, i tried it straight out of the box on a table without anything around reflecting the sound.

I ll make a small video and post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 684 Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everybody! I am back in projection after a 10+ year hiatus and I jumped into the pool with what I am coming to realize was a great choice to start the hobby again. This Sony 45ES. I actually bought it last summer but I'm only getting around to really starting to set it up and use it now! Unfortunately I've been spoiled with contrast and low black levels in the last five or six years owning a Panasonic 65VT60.

My projector is in my living room. I will do as much as possible to control the light with blinds, shades and drapes. I'm also going to try and treat the white ceiling with something like a roll out of black faux velvet to minimize reflections.

My full screen size is constant image height and will be roughly 50 by 117 inches. My projected image for both 16 x 9 and 2.35:1 will be slightly shorter by perhaps 1/8-1/4". I hope to build a black border frame around the screen. the screen will hang on the ceiling and swing down into place in front of the television which I'm putting on a mount that will allow the TV to be pushed back against the wall when I use the PJ.

I want to achieve the lowest blacks and the best contrast in this situation so I'm looking for advice. My plan is to treat the room and set it all up as best as I can. To acheive the best, lowest black levels I will possibly try:

1) a neutral density filter
2) a bias light behind the screen
3) gray screen material
4) and of course just doing the best simple calibration I can manage

I have set the projector up in low lamp mode and I have watched one movie, the dvd of Cop Land. I chose this movie because while it's probably not the best source material, it's a very good DVD. I also watched some scenes from my Die Hard Blu-ray. I have not calibrated, aside from adjusting brightness and contrast just by eye and choosing a cinema mode. I have also not done the panel alignment yet. As it is I find the projector looks very sharp and panel uniformity seems to look good. The fan is whisper quiet. I do find the black levels look a little bit high and the contrast isn't quite as good as I had hoped, but being that this is my first jump back into projection, especially given the reasonable price I paid for the Sony, I'm okay with the PJ. Still, I'm looking for advice to lower the black levels and/or improve the contrast.

Is there anything I'm proposing to do above not a good idea or is there something else I should do or try?

Last edited by cpc; 02-11-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #575 of 684 Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am supposed to be picking one of these projectors up this weekend. Excited as all get out.
post #576 of 684 Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3074
@cpc , a simple calibration is always good. A neutral density filter simply darkens the entire image, so while your blacks will be darker so will your whites and everything in between. The whole image will appear dimmer as if your lamp lumens had been reduced. A neutral matte grey screen does the same thing -- makes blacks, white and everything in between darker. Bias lighting works for some but not for others, so it's a highly subjective thing.

If you have light-colored room surfaces they will produce cross-reflections, i.e. light from the screen image reflecting off the light-colored room surfaces (floor, walls and ceiling) and back onto the screen, washing out the image. So the best way to optimize black levels is to keep all ambient light out of the room and darken all room surfaces to prevent cross-reflections.
cpc likes this.
post #577 of 684 Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM

Can I watch 4k content on this projector? Even though it's not capable of displaying 4k, it will down convert right? My setup will be AppleTV 4k to a receiver with 4k passthru to projector. To be clear I'm not asking if this projector is 4k ready, just asking if I can still stream all the dolby vision shows and 4k shows on Netflix for example.
post #578 of 684 Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 137
what color are your walls and is ceiling still white? and what color is wall screen is on and how close to ceiling is top of the screen
post #579 of 684 Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ticklejinski View Post
Can I watch 4k content on this projector? Even though it's not capable of displaying 4k, it will down convert right? My setup will be AppleTV 4k to a receiver with 4k passthru to projector. To be clear I'm not asking if this projector is 4k ready, just asking if I can still stream all the dolby vision shows and 4k shows on Netflix for example.

Hi,

No, it can’t. The source device must send a 1080p signal maximum.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #580 of 684 Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

No, it can’t. The source device must send a 1080p signal maximum.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess I'll have to use an older ATV down there then. Oh well
descalabro likes this.
post #581 of 684 Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post
Hey everybody! I am back in projection after a 10+ year hiatus and I jumped into the pool with what I am coming to realize was a great choice to start the hobby again. This Sony 45ES. I actually bought it last summer but I'm only getting around to really starting to set it up and use it now! Unfortunately I've been spoiled with contrast and low black levels in the last five or six years owning a Panasonic 65VT60.

My projector is in my living room. I will do as much as possible to control the light with blinds, shades and drapes. I'm also going to try and treat the white ceiling with something like a roll out of black faux velvet to minimize reflections.

My full screen size is constant image height and will be roughly 50 by 117 inches. My projected image for both 16 x 9 and 2.35:1 will be slightly shorter by perhaps 1/8-1/4". I hope to build a black border frame around the screen. the screen will hang on the ceiling and swing down into place in front of the television which I'm putting on a mount that will allow the TV to be pushed back against the wall when I use the PJ.

I want to achieve the lowest blacks and the best contrast in this situation so I'm looking for advice. My plan is to treat the room and set it all up as best as I can. To acheive the best, lowest black levels I will possibly try:

1) a neutral density filter
2) a bias light behind the screen
3) gray screen material
4) and of course just doing the best simple calibration I can manage

I have set the projector up in low lamp mode and I have watched one movie, the dvd of Cop Land. I chose this movie because while it's probably not the best source material, it's a very good DVD. I also watched some scenes from my Die Hard Blu-ray. I have not calibrated, aside from adjusting brightness and contrast just by eye and choosing a cinema mode. I have also not done the panel alignment yet. As it is I find the projector looks very sharp and panel uniformity seems to look good. The fan is whisper quiet. I do find the black levels look a little bit high and the contrast isn't quite as good as I had hoped, but being that this is my first jump back into projection, especially given the reasonable price I paid for the Sony, I'm okay with the PJ. Still, I'm looking for advice to lower the black levels and/or improve the contrast.

Is there anything I'm proposing to do above not a good idea or is there something else I should do or try?

Congrats! I recently joint projectorland with this model. One of my chief concerns was black levels coming from a late gen plasma. Like yourself I had plans to darken the walls and the ceiling. I have medium gray walls and white textures ceiling tiles, the rest of the room is very well controlled in the basement with blackout curtains over blackout shades over the casement windows. I too have done very little adjustments, I have done the panel alignment. I have to say that the black levels are so good even WITH the white ceiling that I haven’t been moved to address it. Does it reflect? Of course and on white scenes it is noticeable, but the blacks are still very black and comparable to my plasma. Understanding it will never be an OLED, I have been really happy with it. I may eventually paint the ceiling but I been so please without doing that, and that keeps the wife happy. My screen is a 1.1 elite cheapo mounting just under the mounding at the top of the wall. Certainly the farther from the ceiling you mount the less reflection washout you will have. Keep us updated on what you do! Cheers

cpc likes this.
post #582 of 684 Old 02-16-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureDave View Post
... I have to say that the black levels are so good even WITH the white ceiling that I haven’t been moved to address it. Does it reflect? Of course and on white scenes it is noticeable, but the blacks are still very black and comparable to my plasma. Understanding it will never be an OLED, I have been really happy with it. I may eventually paint the ceiling but I been so please without doing that, and that keeps the wife happy. ...
Light from the screen image cross-reflecting off of light-colored room surfaces such as the ceiling and back onto the screen can compromise black levels. However, compromised black levels tend to be more noticeable in the darkest movie scenes and those dark scenes produce the least screen image light to be cross-reflected. That's why good native black levels like the HW45ES produces can still be appreciated even in a room that lacks dark room surfaces.
cpc and LeisureDave like this.
post #583 of 684 Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Light from the screen image cross-reflecting off of light-colored room surfaces such as the ceiling and back onto the screen can compromise black levels. However, compromised black levels tend to be more noticeable in the darkest movie scenes and those dark scenes produce the least screen image light to be cross-reflected. That's why good native black levels like the HW45ES produces can still be appreciated even in a room that lacks dark room surfaces.

Perfect explanation Dave, thanks! This makes sense. Now I’m sure if you could do a side by side comparison of a blackout theatre vs white ceiling, it’s a no brainer the dark room is better, but without that comparison I have been very satisfied.

post #584 of 684 Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

My Ceiling is white and the screen is within 6-8 inches of the ceiling. I am slowly taking care of all the details.

I imagine if I use my anamorphic lens to shoot 2.35:1 movies I am using more lamp light. I wonder if I should just zoom the image I would technically achieve darker blacks.

Does anybody know where I can find a nice cover for this projector? I have a mischievous cat.

Is there anybody near me with a 45ES in Southern Ontario, Canada? I live in the Greater Toronto Area (in Pickering to be exact). If somebody has a 45ES setup in a decent bat cave or living room home theatre that I can check out to compare that would be cool.

Last edited by cpc; 02-17-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #585 of 684 Old 02-17-2019, 12:46 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Projector Dust Covers etc... for a Sony 45ES?

Does anybody know where I can find a good, preferably waterproof dust cover for my Sony 45es? I have it shelf mounted.

thanks in advance

post #586 of 684 Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureDave View Post
Perfect explanation Dave, thanks! This makes sense. Now I’m sure if you could do a side by side comparison of a blackout theatre vs white ceiling, it’s a no brainer the dark room is better, but without that comparison I have been very satisfied.

I don’t have a comparison but I did go through this whole process of changing my mid/dark grey walls and ceiling into a full on bat cave with flock velour on all wall surfaces including the ceiling. Everything you do to reduce reflection back on to the screen makes a difference but in my experience it’s the ceiling that makes the biggest.

Radiator has since been dealt with.
cpc and LeisureDave like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #587 of 684 Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Upgraded my Epson 3600e after several years. Got my VPL-HW45ES setup this afternoon, and I’m blown away by how amazing the picture is with this projector. It seriously feels like I’m watching a projector for the first time. I can’t believe how much better streaming content looks vs my Epson. Watched A Quiet Place on Blu-Ray with my wife tonight. She was skeptical about me getting a new projector, and even she had to admit it’s a huge upgrade. In her words: “It’s hard for me to imagine anything looking better than this.” Thrilled with this projector. I’m going to bed now and am so excited about watching movies with my kids tomorrow. I think they want to give Finding Nemo a spin.
post #588 of 684 Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 AM

What's the story here with this projector/lens shift/need to be centered with the screen? I thought the point of lens shift was to not have to center your projector with your screen?
post #589 of 684 Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ticklejinski View Post
What's the story here with this projector/lens shift/need to be centered with the screen? I thought the point of lens shift was to not have to center your projector with your screen?
See if a more detailed explanation makes sense to you: The HW45ES is designed so that when its vertical lens shift is in the neutral or centered position it needs to be positioned at the same level as the vertical center of the screen's image area. With the projector centered on the screen, moving the vertical lens shift all the way up or down will move the image up or down 71% of image height or 21% of image height above/below the top/bottom of the screen's image area. That translates to the fact that the HW45ES can be mounted even with a point as high/low as 21% of image height above/below the top/bottom of the screen's image area and its +/- 71% vertical lens shift will allow the image to be shifted down/up to fill the screen's image area.
post #590 of 684 Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
See if a more detailed explanation makes sense to you: The HW45ES is designed so that when its vertical lens shift is in the neutral or centered position it needs to be positioned at the same level as the vertical center of the screen's image area. With the projector centered on the screen, moving the vertical lens shift all the way up or down will move the image up or down 71% of image height or 21% of image height above/below the top/bottom of the screen's image area. That translates to the fact that the HW45ES can be mounted even with a point as high/low as 21% of image height above/below the top/bottom of the screen's image area and its +/- 71% vertical lens shift will allow the image to be shifted down/up to fill the screen's image area.
Thanks I found that yesterday and it makes sense! Made some adjustments today and it looks a lot better.
post #591 of 684 Old 03-20-2019, 08:11 AM

So what's everyone got for their settings related to motion? I am sensitive to stutter but prefer the look of 24p for sure. Seems Film1 looks the best in my room for movies and original streaming content. However I do see some stutter. Sometimes it's pretty bad. Haven't noticed any judder. I don't see much blur and overall pretty happy with the motion on this projector. Thanks!
post #592 of 684 Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is this projector better than benq ht3550?
post #593 of 684 Old 03-31-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,

If this has been covered before, my apologies....recently purchased a 45es and I’m absolutely in love with it. My only wish is I didn’t have to use the Sony remote to turn it on. Is there anyway to get my Denon x3400h to wake it up? Or at least program the Denon remove to turn it on?

post #594 of 684 Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Hi all:

I'm finally looking to pick up some "reasonably-priced" 3D glasses for my 45 and it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought.

Going through this thread and googling, it appears that most compatible, decent fitting options are simply no longer available. I would really like to keep them sub $30 a pair, as they will mostly be used for the kids- and almost inevitably- broken at some point.

Thanks for any tips, folks.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #595 of 684 Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm going to take a shot on these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

post #596 of 684 Old 04-04-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Hi all:

I'm finally looking to pick up some "reasonably-priced" 3D glasses for my 45 and it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought.

Going through this thread and googling, it appears that most compatible, decent fitting options are simply no longer available. I would really like to keep them sub $30 a pair, as they will mostly be used for the kids- and almost inevitably- broken at some point.

James
The Xpand glasses (X105-RF-X1) are available at Best Buy and generally in stock at store locations but they are $40 each (when they do go on sale it's usually $30-$35).
These are the only glasses I have used with the 45es, they work well, I have three pair and recall buying two at once for $65.

Best of luck,
- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #597 of 684 Old 04-04-2019, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Hi all:

James
The Xpand glasses (X105-RF-X1) are available at Best Buy and generally in stock at store locations but they are $40 each (when they do go on sale it's usually $30-$35). [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
These are the only glasses I have used with the 45es, they work well, I have three pair and recall buying two at once for $65. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]

Best of luck,
- Jason
Thanks my man- I just received those 2 off amazon, late tonight. I am of course sick as heck and it will prolly be a couple days before Infet to try them. If they don’t work it’s good to know I have a “local” option.

James

post #598 of 684 Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Hi guys, I was sent here after reading on another thread that this model is capable of projecting on a 120" screen from around 20', is that accurate?

Thanks.
post #599 of 684 Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post
Hi guys, I was sent here after reading on another thread that this model is capable of projecting on a 120" screen from around 20', is that accurate?

Thanks.
The calculator I looked at shows between 12ft to 19ft for a 120 inch screen.
post #600 of 684 Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

18' 10" is the maximum throw distance from the front of the lens to the screen according to the projectorcentral.com calculator, so the actual mounting point at the center of the projector would be a few inches further back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page