Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 164Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 627 Old 04-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking into this projector, How does it perform in rooms with some lights on? The majority of the time it will be for movies, the room has a black ceiling with dark grey walls, throw distance of about 14 ft for a screen that is 143", however I will also use it for some sporting events where im sure some lights will be on in the room. this projector is lower light output then some others im considering so id like some feedback on how it performs in such conditions.
SDoutdoorsman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 627 Old 04-10-2019, 12:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDoutdoorsman View Post
Looking into this projector, How does it perform in rooms with some lights on? The majority of the time it will be for movies, the room has a black ceiling with dark grey walls, throw distance of about 14 ft for a screen that is 143", however I will also use it for some sporting events where im sure some lights will be on in the room. this projector is lower light output then some others im considering so id like some feedback on how it performs in such conditions.
I would not recommend this projector for use with ambient light at 143". It's passable at 100", but 143" will be half as bright.
gooch02000 likes this.
netwebber is offline  
post #603 of 627 Old 05-02-2019, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Given the arrival of the highly regarded 4k Benq 3550 at a lower MSRP than the 45es, is the 45es still worth it?
Birddoggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #604 of 627 Old 05-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Member
 
McIrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’d also like to know of anything is happening with this projector. I was holding out for the Epson 5050UB, but the Canadian price of $4799 has priced me out. I was expecting $3600. Now that my Epson 1080UB has 3 dust blobs and developed a red band at the bottom it’s unusable. I want to do this ASAP, but I don’t like my choices.
McIrish is offline  
post #605 of 627 Old 05-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recently bought a 45es. The contrast was set at max and lamp power set to high by default, and the reviews I read say it's got "near perfect" settings right out of the box. In other words, the picture look great at high power and full contrast, both of which will greatly reduce lamp life.

I'm concerned that apparently the 45es must be at full output to produce a great image. All of my TVs and previous 4 projectors, as soon as I bought them, the FIRST THING I did was lower the contrast. That was always a common sense thing to do. Why is that not true for the 45es?

Also, I read about using high altitude mode on this pj, even if not located at high altitude. Supposedly that helps improve lamp life. True?

Last edited by Birddoggin; 05-04-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Birddoggin is offline  
post #606 of 627 Old 05-04-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
Read the reviews more closely. They say the Sony has near perfect colors out of the box in any mode setting. Using high altitude fan at low altitudes does nothing but generate more fan noise. It's best to get technical information about projectors from experienced pros, not from social media where rumors run rampant.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #607 of 627 Old 05-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone recommendation regarding replacing the lamp of 45ES. We are spoiled to use it at high setting so I’d like to replace it with genuine like quality lamp. Any recommendations?
chemistside is offline  
post #608 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 05:43 AM
Member
 
ssdesigner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
18' 10" is the maximum throw distance from the front of the lens to the screen according to the projectorcentral.com calculator, so the actual mounting point at the center of the projector would be a few inches further back.
I am in the early planning stages of my dedicated theater and I'm not sure in my question is unique to the 4SES. My room will be 12' x 18' and my throw distance would be approx. 16.5'. I'm hoping for a 110" diagonal screen at 16:9.

My question is, what loss is there when pushing the throw distance near its max? Should I be fine with a 16.5' throw, or should I be looking for a different projector?
ssdesigner is offline  
post #609 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
@ssdesigner , when projectorcentral.com reviewed the HW45ES they measured only a 17% loss of lumens when going from wide angle (closest to screen) to telephoto (furthest from screen) and commented that was "a rather modest loss for a 1.6x zoom lens. For a 110" screen from 16' 6"' you'd probably lose ~15% of maximum lumens you'd get from 10' 10" (closest to a 110" screen). This would not be considered a major loss of lumens. And since a 110" screen isn't considered that large you should be fine.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #610 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 AM
Member
 
ssdesigner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@ssdesigner , when projectorcentral.com reviewed the HW45ES they measured only a 17% loss of lumens when going from wide angle (closest to screen) to telephoto (furthest from screen) and commented that was "a rather modest loss for a 1.6x zoom lens. For a 110" screen from 16' 6"' you'd probably lose ~15% of maximum lumens you'd get from 10' 10" (closest to a 110" screen). This would not be considered a major loss of lumens. And since a 110" screen isn't considered that large you should be fine.
Thanks, Dave! That's super helpful info.

I guess with 7'-6" ceiling height I could try and flush mount it if I couldn't live with the 15% loss. Although, I can control 100% of the light in this room so maybe I won't even notice?
ssdesigner is offline  
post #611 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
There are image performance benefits from having the projector further away from the screen that help offset any minor loss of lumens. My setup requires mounting my HW45ES at the minimum distance from a 100" screen and even on low lamp and dimmest setting, on some bright scenes it's so bright I almost have to squint my eyes. If my room allowed it I would prefer having my HW45ES further from the screen.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #612 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Member
 
ssdesigner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
There are image performance benefits from having the projector further away from the screen that help offset any minor loss of lumens. My setup requires mounting my HW45ES at the minimum distance from a 100" screen and even on low lamp and dimmest setting, on some bright scenes it's so bright I almost have to squint my eyes. If my room allowed it I would prefer having my HW45ES further from the screen.
Very cool!

My last question is, am I safe to purchase this projector a little later in my project, or will it become very hard to find one if I wait 6+ months? The last time I created a dedicated theater I purchased the projector first, even before construction, so that I could test the throw size, distance, riser height, screen size etc. Is that still the way most folks plan this out?
ssdesigner is offline  
post #613 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
I don't see why it would be hard to find an HW45ES in 6 months unless it's replaced by a revised model in the same way that the new and improved HW45ES replaced the HW40ES a couple of years ago. Should a replacement be announced then you could check whatever improvements have been made on the new model and either pay more for the new one or buy the HW45ES at a reduced price on closeout sale. Seems like a win-win situation to wait 6 months if you want to.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #614 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistside View Post
Anyone recommendation regarding replacing the lamp of 45ES. We are spoiled to use it at high setting so I’d like to replace it with genuine like quality lamp. Any recommendations?
I got a knock-off lamp for $45 bucks on Amazon, and it's still going strong at about 2k hours (all on high lamp mode).
gooch02000 is offline  
post #615 of 627 Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
I got a knock-off lamp for $45 bucks on Amazon, and it's still going strong at about 2k hours (all on high lamp mode).


What brand was it?
chemistside is offline  
post #616 of 627 Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistside View Post
What brand was it?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the price went up $13 or so...
gooch02000 is offline  
post #617 of 627 Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 3,186
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I've got almost 4,000 hours on a Projector Lamp Experts Platinum lamp. It's still bright in eco mode.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is offline  
post #618 of 627 Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 AM
Member
 
ssdesigner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking at this projector and kind of a n00b when it comes to calculating throw distance. The official calculator says that it's ok, and the user manual states that the projector can vertical shift +/- 71 degrees.

Can I flush mount this to the ceiling upside down 12' from the screen and project a 110" diagonal picture OK?
ssdesigner is offline  
post #619 of 627 Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdesigner View Post
I'm looking at this projector and kind of a n00b when it comes to calculating throw distance. The official calculator says that it's ok, and the user manual states that the projector can vertical shift +/- 71 degrees.

Can I flush mount this to the ceiling upside down 12' from the screen and project a 110" diagonal picture OK?
Yes, I have about the same setup. Works fine.
Birddoggin is offline  
post #620 of 627 Old 05-09-2019, 10:13 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I must say the 45ES is making quite an impression! Beautiful picture, this is the first projector where I don't feel the need to tweak the default settings ... at least not yet.

However, watching Snow White and the Huntsman tonight, there was a significant amount of motion artifacts. I tried the different motion settings, but none were ideal. I'm hoping it was just this specific bluray, although in the blu ray disc reviews, it did score rather high.
Birddoggin is offline  
post #621 of 627 Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post
I must say the 45ES is making quite an impression! Beautiful picture, this is the first projector where I don't feel the need to tweak the default settings ... at least not yet.

However, watching Snow White and the Huntsman tonight, there was a significant amount of motion artifacts. I tried the different motion settings, but none were ideal. I'm hoping it was just this specific bluray, although in the blu ray disc reviews, it did score rather high.
What's the output set to on your Blu-Ray player? 24p or 60p? I find the best results when using 60p output and the Combination Motionflow setting rather than inputting 24P directly, for which Combination is unavailable.
netwebber is offline  
post #622 of 627 Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwebber View Post
What's the output set to on your Blu-Ray player? 24p or 60p? I find the best results when using 60p output and the Combination Motionflow setting rather than inputting 24P directly, for which Combination is unavailable.
I would imagine it's at 24p. I'll try your suggested settings, thanks!
Birddoggin is offline  
post #623 of 627 Old 05-10-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdesigner View Post
I'm looking at this projector and kind of a n00b when it comes to calculating throw distance. The official calculator says that it's ok, and the user manual states that the projector can vertical shift +/- 71 degrees.

Can I flush mount this to the ceiling upside down 12' from the screen and project a 110" diagonal picture OK?
As long as you understand exactly what the +/- 71 percent (not degrees) actually means in terms of projector height to screen height. It means you can adjust the image up or down 71% of screen height as measured from the center of the screen. Since the center of the screen is 50% of screen height you subtract that from 71% and get 21% of screen height from the top or bottom of the screen's image area.

In your case a 110" 16:8 aspect ratio screen has an image area height of 54" and 0.21 times that is a fraction over 11". That means when ceiling mounted the center of the lens of an HW45ES must be even with a point no more than 11" higher than the top of the screen's image area when using full vertical lens shift. You also need to be horizontally centered on the screen as any use of horizontal lens shift will reduce the amount of vertical lens shift available.
netwebber likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #624 of 627 Old 05-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post
I would imagine it's at 24p. I'll try your suggested settings, thanks!
Curious to know if this helped!

Edit: Combination is not great for movies with a lot of movement. But feeding 60fps to your unit may help.

Last edited by netwebber; 05-11-2019 at 03:19 AM.
netwebber is offline  
post #625 of 627 Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwebber View Post
Curious to know if this helped!

Edit: Combination is not great for movies with a lot of movement. But feeding 60fps to your unit may help.
I changed it to 60fps ... Not much difference, so I turned the motion feature off on the 45es. That looks best to me. Although I did forget to switch back the bluray player back to 24p.
Birddoggin is offline  
post #626 of 627 Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any updates on 3d glasses? I thought PS3 glasses would have worked, but nope.

Now I'm trying these from Sintron. They say RF, Bluetooth and active shutter. I hope these work!

https://www.amazon.com/Active-Shutte...s%2C339&sr=8-4
Birddoggin is offline  
post #627 of 627 Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Birddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
They are basically the same as far as functionality/specs. The big difference is that the 45ES has new counter measures to ward against SXRD panel degradation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
That is a urban myth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
So what are these counter measures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Page 64 of that thread does not NOT list the model HW45ES as one of the new models with 5 layers of protection against contrast loss.

So I ask you again, what proof do you have that the contrast loss due to panel degradation issue is no longer a problem for the Sony HW45ES?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Ahh yah because it doesn't have the 5 layer protection. The 5th layer is watercooling and that is reserved for the top models. 45ES has 3 layer as specified in the post.
It's been a couple of years since this was discussed. Hopefully with two more years of anecdotal data.

So what's the verdict?

Is the 45es immune or at least significantly less likely to suffer from panel degradation issues?
Birddoggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off