Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes

post #631 of 638 Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Have HW45es owners experienced any panel degradation yet ?
or does the HW45es still look great in 2019 ?

Thanks for answers in advance, im buying one in the upcoming week
I know you said 45ES, but I have the 40ES(predecessor to the 45ES) and it has the same panels as the 45ES. I've had my 40ES since December 2015 and now have over 8000 hours on it and it looks and runs just a good now as it did when new. The contrast is still great and movies still have that wow factor with lots of depth. No sign of panel degradation that I can see.
jfjer likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 638 Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I know you said 45ES, but I have the 40ES(predecessor to the 45ES) and it has the same panels as the 45ES. I've had my 40ES since December 2015 and now have over 8000 hours on it and it looks and runs just a good now as it did when new. The contrast is still great and movies still have that wow factor with lots of depth. No sign of panel degradation that I can see.

Thanks for chiming in

Good to hear that the older model is holding up so well

I originally bought a demo used HW55es with warranty a couple of weeks ago but it had a pink bar at the top of the picture so it had to go back
The 2D picture on the Sony was so good however that i just cant go back to using my Benq W1070 anymore LOL, i only use it for 3D now

The HW45 wont look much different than the HW55 so i know what i signed up for buying a HW45

The auto iris did not wow me in the HW55 so i wont miss it in the HW45

Do you use your Sony projector in low lamp/high lamp and do you use normal or high altitude mode for extra protection ?
post #633 of 638 Old 08-12-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
Low lamp, normal fan here. I've used high lamp a few times but prefer low. We always view in the dark and only have a 100" screen so low lamp is plenty bright. Obviously a larger screen and/or ambient light in the room might work better on high lamp. Using high altitude mode at low altitude to move more cooling air strikes me as a bit paranoid for a projector model with no history of panel issues. Enjoy the whisper quiet fans running at normal speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 638 Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Thanks for chiming in

Good to hear that the older model is holding up so well

I originally bought a demo used HW55es with warranty a couple of weeks ago but it had a pink bar at the top of the picture so it had to go back
The 2D picture on the Sony was so good however that i just cant go back to using my Benq W1070 anymore LOL, i only use it for 3D now

The HW45 wont look much different than the HW55 so i know what i signed up for buying a HW45

The auto iris did not wow me in the HW55 so i wont miss it in the HW45

Do you use your Sony projector in low lamp/high lamp and do you use normal or high altitude mode for extra protection ?
Have a 120" screen and use low lamp mode and normal for the altitude mode. I do use use high lamp for for all viewing when the lamp ages and start to get dimmer.
jfjer likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #635 of 638 Old 08-12-2019, 03:27 PM

@Legairre
How long do a bulb usually last for you before you need to replace and do you always use a original Sony bulb ?

Anyone here use compatible projector lamps that is still very good even they are not original ?

Also do you guys find the 3D in HW45 to be good, and if so what 3D glasses do you use ?
i have read the whole HW45 owners thread but the earlier recommendations are not available in stores anymore

Thanks for answers in advance
post #636 of 638 Old 08-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Ok got the HW45es today
Is it necessary to run the HW45es in high lamp the first 100 hours to break it in and to avoid low lamp flickering later on ?

I got these ideas from reading trough this thread, i prefer it in low lamp but if i must break it in in high lamp i will

Any answers on these topics are much appreciated
Thanks
post #637 of 638 Old 08-14-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
Breaking in on high lamp is optional. Some think it does some good while others don't. I've run my HW45ES on low lamp from day one and no issues with lamp flickering. Sony went with a different lamp on the HW45ES from the previous HW40ES and lamp flickering complaints were greatly reduced. Should lamp flicker develop in low lamp you could then switch to high lamp which usually eliminates the flicker. But lamp flicker in general is not as common as it was on earlier model projectors from all different brands.
jfjer likes this.
post #638 of 638 Old 08-14-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I always suggest the first ~100 hours be in high/normal lamp mode to better establish the lamp arc.

This aspect is just part of the lamp technology at work, which has not changed in many years.

This does not mean that you will get flicker if you do not do this but the chances are greater that you will (if you don't).

- Jason
jfjer likes this.

HT = Sony HW45ES @133" / Lumagen Radiance / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony x800 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI game PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page