Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #91 of 643 Old 07-03-2017, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Glad for you,

Some of the best 3D Blu Rays I have are Hugo, Sin City 2, Gravity.

Other one's that I just personally like are Final Destination (4 and 5), Bait (Best Shark in a supermarket movie ever!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 643 Old 07-03-2017, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Greetings to all Sony HW45ES owners,

Looks like I will be joining the ranks soon. Just ordered mine from Amazon (3rd party seller that claims full warranty, we will see). Should arrive on Thursday. I am upgrading from an Epson Home Cinema 3000 and hope that 3d will look good on the Sony. Reviews are mixed. This is a good thread with lots of valuable suggestions. Keep it up!
post #93 of 643 Old 07-04-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtLurker View Post
Thanks all! Will be ordering one next week!
Great machine for a great price, you really can not go wrong with this unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 643 Old 07-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeavs View Post
Greetings to all Sony HW45ES owners,

Looks like I will be joining the ranks soon. Just ordered mine from Amazon (3rd party seller that claims full warranty, we will see). Should arrive on Thursday. I am upgrading from an Epson Home Cinema 3000 and hope that 3d will look good on the Sony. Reviews are mixed. This is a good thread with lots of valuable suggestions. Keep it up!
Congrats on the purchase! Look forward to seeing what you think about the Sony HW45ES relative to the Epson 3000 that you had before and how much of an upgrade you consider it to be.

I currently have an Epson 3500 and thought it was a definite upgrade over the BenQ W1085ST that I had before it. But the contrast is a bit lacking in both of these projectors and I'm thinking about moving to something with reportedly better contrast.

Especially interested because your viewing environment appears to be similar to mine in that there are light colored walls and ceiling which unfortunately can't be changed (room is multipurpose, not a dedicated theater space). The room can be fully darkened, so the light output from the Sony should be sufficient (the Epson is definitively brighter, maybe even a bit too bright in my fully dark room). Just mostly interested in whether or not there will be realized contrast improvements in such conditions with the Sony.

TIA!

post #95 of 643 Old 07-05-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 3723 Post(s)
Liked: 2947
@Crazy4HD , I have medium colored walls and a white ceiling. I replaced a Panasonic PT-AX200U with a Sony HW45ES, which has much better native black levels. While reflections from the white ceiling have a minor effect on the image the blacks are still noticeably better with the HW45ES. Think of it this way: If you add a small amount of reflected light to a dark grey and a medium grey they both become a little lighter. But the dark grey still stays darker than the medium grey.
post #96 of 643 Old 07-05-2017, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds like i have chosen wisely.
I am waiting for my projector and the Anthem 720.
So...i went to BB and got the following BR based on some recommendations here. Thank you.

Sicario
Metallica
Fifth Element
Oblivion
Gravity 3D
Mad Max 3D
Batman vs Superman 3D
post #97 of 643 Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I bought recently Hw45es but I am having little problem with panel alignment / converge. The problem is I cannot align red perfectly with Shift and Zone. Its leaks / bleeds both side from the white line and cannot been corrected any better than on photos shown. You can see even some greens on the whites. Problem can be seen easily from text on the screen... Does somebody have similar problems? Is this normal behave or is this set faulty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zone_center.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2220865   Click image for larger version

Name:	nec_center.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	2220873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie credits.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	2220881  
post #98 of 643 Old 07-07-2017, 12:29 AM

My shipment arrived today. Instead of receiving the Sony HW45ES that I ordered, they shipped me a Sony HW40ES. Never buy from “eDigitalUSA” on Amazon. I started the refund process and will order a HW45ES from Projector People. Always order from an authorized seller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4HD View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Look forward to seeing what you think about the Sony HW45ES relative to the Epson 3000 that you had before and how much of an upgrade you consider it to be.

I currently have an Epson 3500 and thought it was a definite upgrade over the BenQ W1085ST that I had before it. But the contrast is a bit lacking in both of these projectors and I'm thinking about moving to something with reportedly better contrast.

Especially interested because your viewing environment appears to be similar to mine in that there are light colored walls and ceiling which unfortunately can't be changed (room is multipurpose, not a dedicated theater space). The room can be fully darkened, so the light output from the Sony should be sufficient (the Epson is definitively brighter, maybe even a bit too bright in my fully dark room). Just mostly interested in whether or not there will be realized contrast improvements in such conditions with the Sony.

TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Crazy4HD , I have medium colored walls and a white ceiling. I replaced a Panasonic PT-AX200U with a Sony HW45ES, which has much better native black levels. While reflections from the white ceiling have a minor effect on the image the blacks are still noticeably better with the HW45ES. Think of it this way: If you add a small amount of reflected light to a dark grey and a medium grey they both become a little lighter. But the dark grey still stays darker than the medium grey.
Crazy4HD, Dave is correct. Before I realized I had the wrong model number, I was able to view a little bit of content. The Sony has noticeably better native contrast levels compared to my Epson HC3000. On my Epson, I enabled the dynamic iris. However, I could always tell when the iris engaged between light and dark scenes. It produced a little bit of noise and would noticeably "shift" from light to dark. The Sony (with no iris) looks more natural when transitioning between light and dark scenes in comparison. The quality seems better to my eyes.

Additionally, the Sony was pretty bright. In fact, the fan is very quite in either high or low lamp mode. The Epson was way too loud when in anything other than low mode. Now, I feel like I can bump the brightness on the HW45ES when watching 3D without worrying about the sound of the fan. Hope this helps.
post #99 of 643 Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just ordered a Sony VPLHW45ES. Will be my first project, and arrives Friday. Does anyone have a suggestion for a ceiling mount for it?
post #100 of 643 Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectorguy91 View Post
Hello,

I bought recently Hw45es but I am having little problem with panel alignment / converge. The problem is I cannot align red perfectly with Shift and Zone. Its leaks / bleeds both side from the white line and cannot been corrected any better than on photos shown. You can see even some greens on the whites. Problem can be seen easily from text on the screen... Does somebody have similar problems? Is this normal behave or is this set faulty?

Sorry to hear of your troubles but i have not received my projector yet. Hope you get it solved soon.
post #101 of 643 Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeden09 View Post
Just ordered a Sony VPLHW45ES. Will be my first project, and arrives Friday. Does anyone have a suggestion for a ceiling mount for it?

I was recommended the Kanto P101 Universal Mount. This was suggested because i needed a minimum drop of 9" from the ceiling. This one is adjustable and suit my needs.
post #102 of 643 Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectorguy91 View Post
Hello,

That looks pretty terrible to me. Using shift I have perfect red and a very slight blue misalignment. If I wanted to align using zone I'm confident I could get blue nearer perfect.

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||
post #103 of 643 Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
My shipment arrived today. Instead of receiving the Sony HW45ES that I ordered, they shipped me a Sony HW40ES. Never buy from “eDigitalUSA” on Amazon. I started the refund process and will order a HW45ES from Projector People. Always order from an authorized seller!

Crazy4HD, Dave is correct. Before I realized I had the wrong model number, I was able to view a little bit of content. The Sony has noticeably better native contrast levels compared to my Epson HC3000. On my Epson, I enabled the dynamic iris. However, I could always tell when the iris engaged between light and dark scenes. It produced a little bit of noise and would noticeably "shift" from light to dark. The Sony (with no iris) looks more natural when transitioning between light and dark scenes in comparison. The quality seems better to my eyes.

Additionally, the Sony was pretty bright. In fact, the fan is very quite in either high or low lamp mode. The Epson was way too loud when in anything other than low mode. Now, I feel like I can bump the brightness on the HW45ES when watching 3D without worrying about the sound of the fan. Hope this helps.
Sorry to hear that you got sent a HW40ES rather than the HW45ES were expecting . Hopefully the return process will be painless and you'll get the right projector from Projector People (as I'm sure you will as they are a top flight reseller). Did you also consider buying from Cleveland AV/Plasma (a Forum sponsor) as I've heard that his pricing can sometimes be even better?

Thanks for the feedback about how the HW40ES that received performs compared to your Epson 3000. Good to hear that overall, the performance improvement is noticeable (the HW45ES should be as good if not a little better). I too completely agree with Dave's comments about how a projector with better black level will produce a darker black/grey in a room free of ambient light (but not free of reflections from light colored surfaces), but I guess what I was hoping for was someone's opinion as to how much better the black level/contrast is. The Sony is almost twice the price of the Epson 3000, so one would expect a significant improvement but much of that may not be realized in a less than ideal room. Without actually testing myself, I'm relying on others who have upgraded (or at least tried themselves) to give their opinions of the improvement. If the general consensus is the upgrade is worth the price, I'd be inclined to give it a go myself.

Anyway, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a big sale on the Sony. But I've also read comments about how the Epson 3100/3700 are definite improvements over their previous versions (3000/3500) although it seems more likely that these are incrementally better rather than being closer to the Sony. The $99 lamp price for these Epson models however is also rather enticing.

Decisions, decisions!

post #104 of 643 Old 07-10-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 3723 Post(s)
Liked: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4HD View Post
... I too completely agree with Dave's comments about how a projector with better black level will produce a darker black/grey in a room free of ambient light (but not free of reflections from light colored surfaces), but I guess what I was hoping for was someone's opinion as to how much better the black level/contrast is. The Sony is almost twice the price of the Epson 3000, so one would expect a significant improvement but much of that may not be realized in a less than ideal room. Without actually testing myself, I'm relying on others who have upgraded (or at least tried themselves) to give their opinions of the improvement. If the general consensus is the upgrade is worth the price, I'd be inclined to give it a go myself. ...
Opinions of "how much better" are generalities based on perceptions, which vary from person to person, and conditions, which vary from environment to environment. There is no one who can tell you how you will perceive the improvement in your environment. Plain and simple, the HW45ES has the best native black levels of any projector <$2,000. Whether or not you will appreciate this from your perception in your environment is unfortunately unanswerable.
post #105 of 643 Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 AM

Today my Sony HW45Es arrived from Projector People. I have got to say, I am one happy customer. While setting things up and running a calibration disc, my wife looked at the image and said, "the colors look brilliant!" Definite score for Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF). As stated in earlier posts, the contrast is excellent. I am more than happy with the brightness and color. I was originally a little concerned coming from a brighter projector, but those concerns are no more. Even, my 3D glasses work with the projector. I have only spent a couple of hours getting it set up, but I am sure I will need to make adjustments at the 100 hour mark and 500 hour mark. I just went with the recommended settings on Sound & Vision website. Reality Creation works pretty good at the 25 mark, and I like the "true cinema" motionflow for CFI. Excellent projector.

For those trying to make a decision, here is my advice. If you have the budget, get the Sony HW45ES. If you need to save money, the Epson HC3100 will not let you down.
post #106 of 643 Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
wait until you have more hours in, she is going to look even nicer when the bulb settles down. you cannot go wrong with a 45es at this point. I was very tempted to sell my 45es to get a nice used JVC but I game, and specs have not really settled down on 4k stuff. so I am going to wait for real 4k projector with laser.

Last edited by david8613; 07-12-2017 at 05:26 AM.
post #107 of 643 Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I was recommended the Kanto P101 Universal Mount. This was suggested because i needed a minimum drop of 9" from the ceiling. This one is adjustable and suit my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeden09 View Post

Just hung my projector. The Kanto mount was easy to work with once the screws and spacers are tested for fitment. Install was a breeze but there's one drawback and a big one imo. I did not tighten the projector adapter tension ring enough and the projector was moving a little too easily after attaching it to the ceiling. No big deal, i'll take it down and tighten it some more. But trying to get the projector off was a major hassle. In order to get the projector off, need to push the projector up to disengage the spring loaded locking tabs. Well good luck. I used a lot of force and could not do it. Would have cracked the projector casing eventually. This has becomes a 2 person job. I am giving it a 3/5 stars for the mount.

Powered it on, made some adjustments. Need long HMDI cable before feeding it any content. It is not dead silent but fairly quiet. Hope to calibrate it later today and report back.
post #108 of 643 Old 07-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Finally the Sony is installed and good to go!

First 50ft HDMI cable didn't play nice. Fortunately the 2nd one worked.
Asked brother-in-law to aid with removing the projector off the ceiling. Having 2nd thoughts on the Kanto mount but not going to replace it anytime soon. Projector removal takes 2 people. But once on the ceiling it is fairly solid. Hooked up 7.1.4 speakers to the Anthem 720. Still need to run ARC.

Spent about 2hrs calibrating and adjusting the "Panel Alignment" setting.
Convergence can still be improved but the picture is sharp and bright even on low lamp.

Threw the Sin City Blu Ray in the Oppo 103D. Maybe Sin City is a bad example but the blacks are crushed. Coming from CRT, it was expected but still a letdown.

Is there a setting to improve the black details? Settings on the projector?
It is in a completely dark room.

Other than that, very happy with the Sony. Hockey season cannot come soon enough. Will be rewatching my HD DVDs. Yes i still have the Toshiba A1 and yes it is still working. LOL
Got some Sony 3D glasses to test out as well.
post #109 of 643 Old 07-13-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Threw the Sin City Blu Ray in the Oppo 103D. Maybe Sin City is a bad example but the blacks are crushed. Coming from CRT, it was expected but still a letdown.

Is there a setting to improve the black details? Settings on the projector?
It is in a completely dark room.
Get 100 hrs on your bulb and then calibrate the projector.

post #110 of 643 Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Get 100 hrs on your bulb and then calibrate the projector.
Thanks for advice.
100hrs will come and go fairly fast. Is it wise to use the settings from some of the reviews on the internet to start? What are everyone's initial settings? Contrast is at 95, is that too high? Brightness in the 50s so not worried about that.

/cheers
post #111 of 643 Old 07-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for advice.
100hrs will come and go fairly fast. Is it wise to use the settings from some of the reviews on the internet to start? What are everyone's initial settings? Contrast is at 95, is that too high? Brightness in the 50s so not worried about that.

/cheers
The 45ES is very close to perfectly calibrated out of the box in the Cinema Film 2 and reference modes. There are more than enough pre-programmed modes to suit just about everyone's visual taste, room, and content. It's not advisable to change any settings without using a calibration disc or better yet a colorimeter to guide you. The exception being high/low lamp mode and panel alignment.

post #112 of 643 Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Sounds like i have chosen wisely.
I am waiting for my projector and the Anthem 720.
So...i went to BB and got the following BR based on some recommendations here. Thank you.

Sicario
Metallica
Fifth Element
Oblivion
Gravity 3D
Mad Max 3D
Batman vs Superman 3D
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Dredd 3D is really good too. I picked it up for $5 a few months ago.
post #113 of 643 Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
The 45ES is very close to perfectly calibrated out of the box in the Cinema Film 2 and reference modes. There are more than enough pre-programmed modes to suit just about everyone's visual taste, room, and content. It's not advisable to change any settings without using a calibration disc or better yet a colorimeter to guide you. The exception being high/low lamp mode and panel alignment.
Totally agree.
post #114 of 643 Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 PM

I know it takes time for the projector to warm up but i noticed it takes time to shut off too.
Is this normal?
post #115 of 643 Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I know it takes time for the projector to warm up but i noticed it takes time to shut off too.
Is this normal?
Yes, it's a cooling down process.
post #116 of 643 Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Quick Census: In a reasonably dark environment, what is the preferred lamp mode? High or Low? Also, what is the preferred color temp? This is my first projector with so many setting options. Thanks.
post #117 of 643 Old 07-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quick Census: In a reasonably dark environment, what is the preferred lamp mode? High or Low? Also, what is the preferred color temp? This is my first projector with so many setting options. Thanks.
It depends.

On screen gain, image size etc.

You wouldn't be able to tell what's 'correct' without a light meter.

Go with what looks best to you.
post #118 of 643 Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Put it in Reference mode D65 for accurate color temp.
post #119 of 643 Old 07-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Dredd 3D is really good too. I picked it up for $5 a few months ago.
That's a smoking deal. Have to look for similar in Canada.

Quote:
I am in a dark room and low lamp. Still plenty bright. Hope lamp will last longer too. I have my temp set at D65, the standard i think.
post #120 of 643 Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Yes, it's a cooling down process.
Okay thanks. Guess i am use to equipment turning off instantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page